Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• bossierbossier Member Posts: 1
    1996 Dodge 135000 miles, with what dealer says is a 46RE transimission. System leaking substanically through bell housing. Removed trans. & I am having problems removing torgue converter. Looking for suggestions on how to do this with out cracking housing. Also should I just change front seal or completely break down trans. ?
  • helphelphelphelphelphelp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Dosde Ram 1500, V6fine into higher gears Magnum with 227,000 miles on it I just purchased. Seller said tranny was rebuilt prior to sale. Truck had slite hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear but drove fine into higher gears or when accelerated. Today I was driving at 45 mph when the vehicle totally went out of gear and either would not shift into gear or stay in gear. Very weak reverse to no reverse too. Fluid was clean and full. No leaks. Was told might be the torque converter, not by a mechanic. Truck makes a whining sound when shifted into a gear. Seller also removed the OD Shifter and put in a regular shifter, truck is automatic. He said it just need to be plugged back in, thought that was odd. Is this a difficult fix if it is the torque converter and will this solve the problem if the tranny is screwed. Not sure of the maintenance or fluid type used. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!! :sick: :lemon:
  • is72is72 Member Posts: 2
    use only atf+4 ,using dex-merc will kill trans.
  • cooky134cooky134 Member Posts: 1
    2001 ram 5.2 had the trans rebuilt works fine in town ,but when we take it out on the highway and stop it wont go back to first the engine light comes on we changed the sensers in the trans three times had the comp updated still wont work
  • stemper57301stemper57301 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 W 5.9 gas engine. I have been dealing with this problem for over a year now. MIL light is on for code p0720 which is Output speed sensor, replaced it still have problem. The issue is when I am in 4 wheel with a load on it ( pushing through deep snow) it will sometime shudder hard and than stall out kinda feels like a torque converter locking up. At the same time the speedo will go crazy and jump around, even when truck is not moving. Had a brainstorm and checked VSS. Reference voltage is low should be 8 volt it's only 5.5 volts. So my question is, could it possibly be the VSS? Any help is appreciated I live in SD and soon will be up to my ears in snow!
  • davef33davef33 Member Posts: 1
    What would cause my 1999 2500 4wd cummins OD to not engage/disengage properly? Pressing the OD Off button takes multiple attempts before engaging and disengaging. Also, for the time being, is there a problem driving with the OD engaged all the time? Thanks!
  • alsdodge98alsdodge98 Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem wont go on third and four gear i took shop the man said it catalytic converter it hard to say need to test more on other. I will let you know once i found out.

mine is 98 dodge 2500 5.9 trans 46re
    it go 30 mph on hill . also will not go fast when stop it slow to fast when i take easy on paddle gas.
  • bluej6bluej6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06' 1500 V6 with a 6 speed(G238) manual transmission. It has 49k miles and it seems like its harder to engage in gears especially down shifting to 1st and 2nd second. General maintenance books(that I found) say that its probably the fluid.
    My owners manual says "this transmission is filled with manual transmission fluid at the factory. This fluid does not require periodic changing." I don't get it. It says the 2500/3500 models need to change the fluid but doesn't have this trans in the maintenance schedule.
  • paulybearpaulybear Member Posts: 1
    1999 Dodge 2500 quad cab 116,000 miles with a shortbox. 5.9 v8 116,000 miles on it. My transmission just started to act up. It slips out of overdrive after about 25 minutes of driving, then about 10 minutes later, my transmission temp. light comes on. Then I pulled over and let it cool off and the truck ran for another 20 minutes or so and then same thing. It runs good shifts good.Is my tranny going? I took it it a shop and they quickly told me I need it rebuilt. $1800 I really don't have $1800 right now. Would installing a tranny cooler help this problem? Any other suggestions. I asked the guy if changing or flushing the fluid and filters in it would help and he said no. I did notice there was no other customers in his shop.I was reccomended to this tranny place but have a bad feeling that he needs my business..
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    Dodge has 2 check valve (rubber balls), one in each of the two tranny lines running to your radiator or your remote tranny cooler. They are known for plugging up. Check your tranny cooler when you pull over: If it is NOT hot, there is no circulation thru the cooler, which is why it dropped O/D and the light came on showing hot temp. Take a 1/4 drill and pull these two balls out. You may still have a good tranny.
  • helphelphelphelphelphelp Member Posts: 2
    The tranny was rebuilt prior to my buying the truck. One night the truck went completely out of gear. I glided to a stop and could not get the truck into a gear to stay. The truck goes in gear when cold until it gets hot and then nothing, just revs up, doesn't move. Under the hood says the engine is a 42 RE, 3.9 liter automatic. What could this be if the tranny was rebuilt? Was told by mechanic over the phone he didn't think it was the torque converter. Said might be the clutches. How do I know? Any help would be appreciated. :sick:
  • mattress79mattress79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ram 1500 with 5.2 V-8 and the 46RE trans. Two months ago I got code P1764 that said 'Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage Too Low". I replaced the governor and the transducer solenoid both. The engine light turned off and then came on about 5 minutes into driving. Then Dodge said to replace the Transmission Relay, did that, light turned off for about 5 mins again and then came back on. I took it to the dealer and a tranny tech hooked his computer up to it and we did a road test. He said the governor voltage is supposed to fluctuate up and down as your RPMs go up and down. Mine stayed at 0 the entire time and only showed voltage once for about three seconds while driving. They said to replace the Transmission Override Solenoid next. He said he's never seen the voltage stay at 0 before and that the problem is either the Trans Ovrrde Solenoid or the wiring to it, OR the computer. Has anyone seen this or had this happen before??? Or am I doomed to keep throwing money at it by replacing part after part??
  • jhight420jhight420 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Dodge 1500 4x4 with a 360,46RE and NP231, 4.88 gears and 38" tires . My question is, will a 727 or 904 tranny bolt up to a 360 magnum motor and NP231 without too many mods. I cracked the case of my 46RE, and from what I read they're a piece of crap. Is it worth it to put the 3 speed in it, or $2400 for a replacement? If the 231 won't work which transfer case would be a good choice?It sees alot of mud, trails and some road driving. Some help would be greatly appreciated. jhight420@yahoo.com
  • bobk9bobk9 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I still have the whinning noise when backing up. But thats ok.

Turns out the problem was not my tranny at all, but a completely broken and clogged up catalytic converter. That would explain the "rocks in a can" sound that I kept hearing. The cat was so blocked that it was restricting the exhaust and causing power loss and erractic shifting of the tranny.

After picking up my California Cat on order from the local part store, I drove to a muffler shop to have it welded on. The sound from the old cat had stopped it was so glogged. Hope this helps, FYI
  • xirrixxirrix Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Ram with the Cummins turbo diesel with 68,000 miles.Recently at 35 to45 mph the trans would not stay in a particular gear,kept shifting rapidly between gears.Had the bands adjusted,same problem.
    Took it to a trans shop,they replaced the valve body & shift kit.
    $430.00 later,the problem was worse! Now it happened at 55 mph(overdive) as well.
    Checked on this forum last night,somebody said possible bad ground,Haynes manual said to check the throttle position cable.

SOLUTION!!!!!!
    Removed & cleaned all battery cables & posts,test drive at normal temp.
    Could not get truck to switch gears abnormally as before.
    I recommend replacing all battery cables,which I am going to do this week.
    Also checked all sensors on trans(3),and throttle cable,no problems found.
    I hope this helps .
  • flyinshuflyinshu Member Posts: 2
    Update: I have since discovered that during the previous post I had mentioned after losing O/D the transmission seemed to slip, but in actuality, it was stuck in 3rd gear. And lucky me I finally received the engine light, hooked up my code reader and found the code for Shift Solenoid D. I also understand this is an internal solenoid in the valve body which now makes this a Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty issue. I hope this helps someone.
  • sirpsychopaulsirpsychopaul Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel automatic tranny seems to not be able to decide which gear it wants to be in when i accelerate. it will surge from 1st to 2nd then back to 1st until i get fast enough for it to change to 3rd. not sure whats going on. Went on a 500 mile trip this weekend and about half way through it, i could hear a pop when leaving red lights or stop signs. I looked under the truck this morning and the rear dif is wet with some leaking from what looks like the front seal on the diff. Any guesses at whats going on will be greatly appreciated.
  • honeyman2honeyman2 Member Posts: 8
    Check your ground. My alternator was my problem and I added a good grond and problem went away . JIM
  • sirpsychopaulsirpsychopaul Member Posts: 2
    will do....i'll let ya know what happens. Once i get into 3rd or overdrive it does fine. could that still be the ground?
  • davelee3davelee3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I suppose I may need to replace the governor transducer sensor in my 2000 Dodge Ram with the 46re automatic transmission from what I've read here on this forum, but thought I would ask just to make sure anyway. When I first start the vehicle up in the morning, all of the dash idiot indicator lights go off as they should, but then after only about a couple of minutes or so, the O/D OFF light comes on followed by the Trans Temp indicator light a short time later. The transmission fluid is still cold to my touch and so is the transmission itself when they light up as I let the truck sit and idle for a few minutes before driving it, so I am assuming it is simply a faulty transmission temp sensor. And from what I've read on this forum, the temp sensor is also part of the governor transducer, right? Also, when I drop the pan and drain out all the ATF+4 fluid, is it wise to save and reuse ATF+4 fluid? The fluid and filter were recently changed about a week ago and should still be fine, and I hate to waste it. I don't suspect I have a faulty or clogged up solenoid valve simply because the vehicle seems to shift into 1st, 2nd and 3rd on its own just fine. I just no longer have O/D that's all, which is why I only suspect it is the faulty trans temp sensor (governor transducer) that I keep reading goes bad more and more often in these 46re transmissions. Thanks for any advice anyone has. Love this forum! Sincerely, Davelee3
  • plaskaplaska Member Posts: 1
    tried to back the truck up this am, unfortunately no reverse. fluid level good. color
    and smell ok. no apparent linkage problems below. would move slightly when in
    super low 4 wheel drive. not much. acts like massive slippage. is there a common
    problem? this is new. had absolutely no trouble prior. have approx 90,000 mi. on
    truck.
  • tiny09tiny09 Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same problem with mine did you you ever find out what the problem was?
  • tiny09tiny09 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 ram 1500 with 87k miles. I started noticing thetranny taking longer to shift from a dead stop (3000 rpms) and higher unless I take my foot off the gas pedal, then it shifts. No engine codes or any other tranny problems. I haven't had the tranny serviced. Just noticed the shifting problem last week.
  • dodgeramman2dodgeramman2 Member Posts: 5
    I had to have my tranny rebuilt.When they dropped the pan metal parts were laying in the pan.Hopefully your your is a cheaper fix but i would take it in and have it serviced first maybe it just needs serviced.
  • briarwalkerbriarwalker Member Posts: 2
    hey tiny 09 i just flushed my tranny 23 quarts worth to get a clear stream of fluid it has not jumped out of overdrive yet the garage guy ran it pretty hard no problems. I talked to a major mopar guy and he said this problem more than once was solved by taking all grounds of the bvattery both ends and cleaning good they oxidate where attatched to the block ect. good luck buddy. briarwalker
  • rbrummrbrumm Member Posts: 8
    It was the computer...don't know how I could have blown a circuit by changing the fluids but that is what fixed it.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    When you say you haven't had the trans serviced, does that mean recently or ever? If you meant "ever", you've gone way too long, even though your average miles per year is low. With my Rams, I've found that getting a full transmission service every 15-20K miles keeps them running right all the time. I had my 96 Ram 3500 Cummins for 9 years and 127K - even with all the horror stories about what the Cummins would do to the 47RE, I never had a transmission issue thanks to regular maintenance. My 2005 Ram 3500 Cummins/48RE has been flawless, but now I don't drive it nearly as much (I now work from home instead of commuting 70 miles per day during 2002-2008).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • ricardo_09ricardo_09 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a Dodge RAM 1994 2 WD V8 5.9 . I need to replace the tranny. It is slipping real bad. I've been reading and learning about theses cars, and I know it has a 518 46rh . I need to know if a can install on my truck a rebuilt 1998 46re transmission. Do you know what else I need to replace? The guy is willing to give me the truck computer, but I don't really know if the car will need more stuff or it just wont work with this electronic tranny. Any Knowledge about this? Any advise would be appreciated!..
  • jaimecjaimec Member Posts: 8
    I WAS BACKING MY TOY HAULER WHEN THE ENGINE DIE AND AFTER COUPLE OF MINUTES IT STARTED I HAVE A BANKS SYSTEM AND A CODE CAME P.0513 INVALID SKIM KEY DOES ANY BODY KNOWS WHAT THIS CODE MEANS
  • farmergirlfarmergirl Member Posts: 1
    Bought new in Dec 2004. Lightly driven, not used for pulling. Since time of purchase it has seemed to shift hard going into 2nd gear (kind of a delay then a "clunk" sound), but it doesn't do it if I go real easy on the gas. I took it about 9 mos ago under warrenty, dealer said nothing was wrong. I just passed 70K, and tonight as I started up from a stop and was turning onto the highway, I heard a terrible sort of thumping/slipping noise as I drove, continued for about 1/2 mile until I pulled over, thought maybe I had a flat (but it didn't drive like I did). Tires fine, and all was normal as I pulled back onto the road. No problems as I drove home with a load of hay later. Any ideas before I head back to the dealer (I think/hope I have documentation of having questioned the tranny previously)?
  • red777red777 Member Posts: 22
    On your truck, did you only put an extra ground on the alternator, or did you put them on any parts of the truck?
  • dodgeramman2dodgeramman2 Member Posts: 5
    My truck has 2 batteries because its a diesel so i ran one ground from the battery to the intake plentum bolt on the drivers side and on the passangers side i ran one from the battery to the black cover on top of the altrnator but i found that this was only a temprary fix because the problem is with the noise of the alternator.Go to this web site and it should help you understand the problem and how to fix it.Hope this helps.www.kentsoil.com
  • jaimecjaimec Member Posts: 8
    hi can any one please help dodge ram 3500 5.9 diesel banks power system 3 disc torque converter i tow 5th wheel 31foot truck and trailer weight 24000 when pulling the trailer in flat its fine but when pulling up hill it starts fine the it starts loosing power it drops below 40mph can any one please help thank you
  • honeyman2honeyman2 Member Posts: 8
    I redid both grounds from the batteries and then grounded the alternator with all grounds going to the engine . Hope this helps your problem as it did mine.
  • cbr600rr2008cbr600rr2008 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dodge 1500 with the 5.2 and 46RE. I am getting a trouble code for the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. Where is this solenoid located?? is it above the valve body??
    I'm planing to service my transmission ...Any advise of how I can flush the system as much as it's possible? What kind of oil is the best for these trucks? The transmission is a 46RH. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4x4 Advise please! I tried using the 4x4 the other day on a dirty road. Besides having a hard time trying to engage the 4x4 Hi and Low while on neutral(auto trans), It seems to me like the last owner never used it, but when I turn either right or left, the truck stars jumping and having a hard time moving...It looks and sounds like the tires will come off. Is this Normal or I'm not supposed to turn while using the 4x4?.I'm sure the 4x4 works because I didn't get stuck....and it felt heavy. Also, when I put it back in 2WD, It kept on doing the same jumping while turning. A little later, I heard a big hit(sound) down there. I thought the tranny broke or something,but Not. It worked normal again. I just came back home,and didn't want to use it again. Any experienced one on this?....Thanks!!! :P !
  • behawkebehawke Member Posts: 2
    Someone plz help; I have a dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 blew the old tranny went and put a rebuilt in it. Now it seems like the fluid is restricted its taken longer to shift and no ovrdrive. I removed the inline ck ball. I've been told theres a ck ball inside the tranny might be the problem or the computer will do it???? Can anyone out there give me any info I've been pull n my hair out on this.... :mad:
    Unless you already have a remote (not part of your radiator) tranny cooler, install one IMMEDIATELY. Then feel of it when your truck is warmed up to be sure it is getting hot or at least warm. That assures that fluid is circulating. If it does not get hot, fluid is NOT circulating. That would be a bad check ball( most likely) or a bad pump (most expensive). Either problem is less expensive than a new tranny. bobwinner
  • behawkebehawke Member Posts: 2
    it circulates when u give some throttle but will not circulate @ idle. where would the the check ball be located. I know theres 1 in the tranny line already toke it out is that the only 1 or is there more??
  • 87camaroguy87camaroguy Member Posts: 4
    you guys do know there is a valve not sure of the name of it but on my 96 ram its for vaccum and that piece rotted out and the truck was acting up shifting wise that turned out to fix the majority of the problems with that.
    Sluggo333 that is normal in all cars or trucks in the cold or cool temps reason being the fluid in the trans hasnt warmed up enough yet so it takes a minute to fully flow tray warming the truck up for about 5 to 10 minutes before you take off on a cold day.
  • ramtow1ramtow1 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone hads these codes p0740 p0700 the trans shifts fine just making a electronice wine shuddererd once one code is a tcc eror torq converter the other is a low line pressure fault please any suggestions
    With LOW LINE PRESSURE I automatically suspect a bad check valve. Feel of your tranny cooler. If it isn't hot, the problem is almost certainly a check ball.
  • ramtow1ramtow1 Member Posts: 2
    where is this check valve what about the wine almost tinny sound the tcc enable soleniod cercuit electrical
  • jclell21jclell21 Member Posts: 1
    the front trans seal was leaking and i replaced it. when the truck ran for awhile the knew seal did the same. anyone know what could cause that?
    high pressure either there is too much fluid or that damn ball in the line is locked try changing the lines if the fluid is fine go to a place that sells transmission hose autozone sells it for like 2 bucks a foot and trust me i work for em the hose takes alot of abuse my dads ram is a great example.
  • dfellows5dfellows5 Member Posts: 1
    Did you figure out what the problem was?? I am having the same problem on my 2006.
    When you use 4 wheel, all your tires try to turn at the same time and same speed. If the road is slippery (mud or snow) things seem smooth because slipping occurs with no problem. If the road is not slippery, you are actually forcing some tires to slip, which is why your jumping took place. This indicates your 4x4 is working. Then you may have shifted to 2 wheel, but you should have backed up a couple feet because your tranny actually stayed in 4 wheel until you heard that load noise. When putting into or out of 4x4, use reverse for a few feet. bobwinner
    You said "I REMOVED THE INLINE CHECK BALL..." You do realize there are two balls, one in each line? bobwinner