Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• jswain2jswain2 Member Posts: 16
    Where as in where on the truck or where as in where is another free one? Is on driver side of throttle body if you mean where on the truck. If you mean where is another free one....nobody's claimed this one yet. Is for 318, but I don't think it would matter. I don't know how much they cost new, if this one works right, how much it would be to ship, etc... Might be more trouble than it's worth, I dunno.
  • chulunguschulungus Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001dodge ram 1500, and my transmition got repaired about six months ago, the 2nd and 3rd gears work fine, but I have not noticed that the overdrive gear does not function

I also noticed that when I am running about 65 mph my revolutions are very high
    it almost hits 3000 rpm

i would really appreciate your help
  • dwight8216dwight8216 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 1999 dodge ram 2500 diesel seems to be slugish on the take off but shifts ok changed fluid and filter feels like its in lockup mode but not sure when putting in low gear takes off good then will shift proper any help out there thanks Dwight
  • timb5timb5 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever end up replacing your Governor Pressure Sensor? I've replaced the speed sensor and TPS on mine (the easy stuff) and the GPS seems to be the logical next item to replace. That one scares me though, I've never touched the inside of a transmission before. I'm hearing it's not a difficult job but we've all heard that one before. Thanks.
  • gmattaurgmattaur Member Posts: 1
    I am very pleased with this forum, I have the same problem with the O/D and temp light all the info that I see is great but, no one is saying where these sensors or silonoids are located or where someone can view a schematic of THE INFAMOUS 46 rh tranny.if there is any way of explaining or showing this info please share with the members of this forum
    thanks for all the help the cure is the transducer switch part # 56041403-aa for early models there are two types of switches also the presuure solenold part #8059043 this is for a 1999 ram 2500 with a 5.9 diesel total cost for repair was 133.00
    both sensors for my problem are in the governer body and is not hard to change about ten minuttes plus taking down the pan and filter if you can get a dodge manual it explans how to do it real easy job thanks Dwight
  • ramlovrramlovr Member Posts: 17
    I haven't replaced anything except the output speed sensor and that didn't work. From what I understand the governor pressure sensor contains the temp gauge as well.If its messing up it would tell your computer your trans is getting hot and your computer would turn off the OD. I think it is an easy fix. When you remove your trans pan it's right there.If I remember correctly we are having the same problem. OD turns itself off at high speeds? My truck only does it at interstate speeds.There are actually two sensors in the bottom of the trans cant remember the name of the other one but the dealer told me they usually replace both while they are at it as they are prone to failure. I think I will do this fix this weekend.....
  • jameswheeler69jameswheeler69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 dodge ram ... in park its in park.. in reverse it tries to go forward then kicks out .. in netural it gos forward but dont shift.. in drive it goes forward and shifts out fine.. it works corect in 2nd and low...... i tried taking it linkage loose and shifting it at trans. it still does the same ... the fluid dont smell burnt and i dont see cluches or metal in pan... im at a loss
  • tulsatulsa Member Posts: 2
    any help please or the wife is making me get rid of it. I bought this truck used. the guy said it had a new trans. It worked fine then one day getting on the highway i just didn't have O/D. Driving back home I began to loose gears got down to only having 1st and reverse. Let it cool down drove around the block and had 1st 2ND and 3rd then lost all but 1st. Fluid looked good. Had it serviced and a sensor replaced worked fine for a week and lost O/D again, I can use the shifter and get the gears to change by going from D to N to D. Works that way. Then it seemed to start slipping. When i got the truck i played with the O/D on off switch to check out the new truck I just got. A week later Trans problem. Could that mean anything? Anyone know about this tech service bulletin? If I can manually shift does that mean its an electrical problem?
  • tulsatulsa Member Posts: 2
    to me it sounds like a band is out of adjustment. I was playing with mine to see if that was my problem after guessing at adjustment i got in the truck and in reverse it went forward all other gears went forward. i crawled back under and started adjusting again and in park it began to roll back on me as if it was in neutral. I quickly stopped messing with it since i didn't now what i was doing. I read they have to be adjusted every so often.
  • cheezer7cheezer7 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 having trany problems start off a little slipping then wont go into o/d di show a code telling me it is governor silanoid switch. i took it to transmission specilist changed 2 silanoids in trany ,filter, oil light went away then came back still does same thing has anyone had same problem even tranny guy is stunned
  • ragman6ragman6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 1/2 dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9 diesel engine, it has a 47re trans. My problem is that it seems to jump in and out of lockup at all speeds. as an example when using speed control driving at 70 the RPMS jump from 2000 to 2200 when I go down hill. anyone have any ideas?
    Mine did the same problem at 40 -45 after dodge told me i needed a new trans i was told buy a trans shop to make sure the alt. has a good ground and the problem was solved when i changed the battery cables ends hard to believe that palm chyrsler in punta gorda fl could not be honest about a simple problem
  • stoneyclunkstoneyclunk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 3/4 ton 4X4 with a Cummins diesel. The problem is that it goes in and out of overdrive when it shouldn't. The fluid and filter have been recently changed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • 04ltguyandgirl04ltguyandgirl Member Posts: 15
    my 03 1500 5.9 acts funny when the overdrive is on. around 40 mph to about 50 mph it seems to kick in and out of overdrive. but when i push the o/d off switch, it works fine. all gears shift nice . no other problems, fluid is nice and red, new filter, deep pan with cooler :surprise: ;);)

whats up with that?
    i had the same problem changed the battery terminals and it was cured you also have to check the alt and alt grounds
    There is a solenoid in the bottom of the trans that will cause O/D to turn on and off. I cant remember what it's called. It's not the Governor pressure solenoid it's the other one in there.Just something else to consider.
    Well, My trans stopped messing up as fast as it started? It no longer kicks out of OD?
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9 with similar problems, also gave me a code p0748 i had a trany specilist change all silinoids and wire harnest inside trany and the same problem still happens. The light came back on and the slipping is back where it started, and no o/d i no longer have warranty and chrysler says they cant help me, if you find out when they fix yours what it was can you let me know i really appreciate it thanx
    you said it was your computer , is it still working fine what computer was it maybe it will help my truck thanx
  • credit10credit10 Member Posts: 1
    i brought this trk in 6/09 with 32,000 miles now i have 85,000 now transmission went out at 39,000 miles and was rebuilt by a reputable shop. Rite about 65,000 miles transmission went out again my friend who owns the shop rebuilt it again thinking a faulted torque converter which was scorched in color so this 400 or 500 dollar converter was not what we used the next time i went ahead and spent about 900.00 and after rebuild with this converter shifted a lil harder and performed excellent. Now i have check engine light come on first thing the last two mornings and i have a diablo sport set at 60 hp and never any more than that so i hooked up programmer to read codes and its saying P1749=PSI control solenoid A failed low and its also saying P1754=coast clutch solenoid circuit my friend at the shop told me thats not even dodge codes. But as soon as i clear these 2 codes check engine light goes off and shifting fine. Parked at boat landing this morning and came back 8 hours later had to clear codes again now also these codes only read this once and thats it the rest of the time were just no codes read on screen but just pressed clear to get eng. light to go off so tranny would shift. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Maybe your computer needs flashed to clear all the codes?
    I thought of taking it to dealer to flash computer , but now the engine light went away and still doing same thing you think i should still flash it
  • ramthisramthis Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 dodge ram 1500 and the transmisson wont shift. Normaly when you put a truck in drive it takes off in first mine stays in drive, I can shift it manualy into 1st 2nd and drive. it will not go into over drive. Any Ideas
  • dwygle54dwygle54 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500, 5.9L, just got my tranny rebuilt in june, now sometimes ill go down the road at a steady speed and it will jerk, it stays in gear and everything, it just jerks while in overdrive, i have no clue what its doing, neone know whats going on?????
    I had the same problems with my 2002 just had silinoids inside trany changed twice , changed wiring harness inside trany and still does same thing ,light went out on its own and the problem still persist my next step is taking to dealer and have computer flashed, reading this web site a couple of comment and 3 other people from my side told me same thing, if does not work my next step is to change computer, i wish i new someone with same year 2002 dodge ram 1500 slt 5.9 so i can try their computer on mine before i buy one good luck
  • 50yz45050yz450 Member Posts: 1
    I have A 2005 2500 5.9 diesel 4x4. When I key off there is a sound like A step motor hunting for about three seconds near the trans/transfer case. any ideas?
  • pvtvaughanpvtvaughan Member Posts: 1
    my dad had a problem with his shifting into full overdrive and believe it or not he replaced the pressure button on the brake pedal that turns off your brake controller light. apparently if that button is not fully depressed it will not allow your transmission to shift easily into overdrive. but be careful when installing, read the directions carefully because if you are not careful it will push the button in to far when you set it and you have to buy another one.
  • turksnotsturksnots Member Posts: 1
    I have just read several problem statements related to engine service lights coming on and jerky transmissions as well as erroneous computer codes. While I do not own a Dodge truck I do own a 2002 Ford F-150 (I'm thinking of purchasing a Dodge Truck and I was interested in learning of any Dodge Truck problems which is why I was at this site). At just about 80K miles the transmission began to jerk, sometimes the vehicle would speed up on its own, the service engine soon light would come on, or sometimes would not start. The transmission was rebuilt ($2800), however it soon developed the same described problems. All the mechanics recommended putting in a new computer, although I resisted due to cost. Finally I took it to a dealership for analysis. They determined that two fuel injector solenoids were electrically interfering with the on board computer. Those injectors were replaced and problem went away. Just food for thought.
  • 98ramhead98ramhead Member Posts: 18
    I have a 98 1500 2wd 5.9 i have recently had an issue where my truck would not shift from 1st. I replaced both soleniods in the tranny now i have no overdrive just this past weekend put a new soleniod in and still no overdrive any ideas
  • bdroos97bdroos97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4, early last week if I started having trouble when I would try to take off in drive or reverse if i did not let it warm up for at least 15 mins. It would slip real bad before it would take off, but then it would do just fine once, I guess, the warmer fluid completely circulate. When I drove it to work Friday morning it did not do as bad because I let it warm up longer than usual. After I got to work I went to move after being there for about three hours and it started leaking fluid out of the bell housing, I am thinking front seal or torque converter problem. I have got quotes to have repaired, but my real question is is this just a single part faluire and repair job or a precursor to something more serious? Has anybody else seen or heard of this problem?
  • csnellcsnell Member Posts: 1
    mine does it to. what do i have to do to fix it?
    what problem are you having ?
  • appycutterappycutter Member Posts: 1
    Suddenly, my truck will not go into park. I replaced the brake switch but that didn't fix the problem....any suggestions?
  • givengiven Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I hope someone within this forum can help me. I just purchased a used 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad / Hemi. The truck has 16,000 miles and is set to come off warranty in about 2 weeks. Shortly after I purchased the truck I noticed there was a buzzing / bearing like noise coming from under the truck just under and behind the engine. It's hard to describe the actual noise but one this is for sure is that it is not a normal sounding Dodge Ram 1500. I have had it into the Dodge dealer and they say that they can hear the noise but are unable to determine what it is or where it is coming from. I had it in the shop for about 1 week while they tried to figure it out. The net of it is that they said that once the noise got worse they would take care of me but until then they had no idea. With this said, I need 1) suggestions on what the problem might be and 2) suggestions on how to deal with the dealer to get the noise and problem fixed now while it is still under warranty. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    If you are going to keep the truck, I'd suggest you get some peace of mind and look at Chrysler factory plans.com and purchase the warranty that best fits how long you plan keeping the vehicle. I got my lifetime extended warranty there. It has the best prices on factory warranties, even if you are not the original owner.

About the humming...my 2009 Ram does it under acceleration, but when I release the accelerator it goes away. I think it's related to the overdrive, but until it fails I'll never care. It's a minor noise, but it is definitely there. Most never hear it until I point it out. Just the same I have a lifetime powertrain warranty for the drivetrain, and an extended lifetime warranty for everything else. Good luck.
  • buttibutti Member Posts: 1
    CIAO A TUTTI, HO UN RAM 1500 DEL 1996 EMI 5,2, ENTRA SOLO LA PRIMA MARCIA E LA RETROMARCIA, LA SECONDA LA TERZA NON ENTRANO, COSA ECCESSO?
    SONO IN ITALI
  • 1flyboy11flyboy1 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission without any apparant warning stays is second gear and will not shift either up or down. Reverse seems fine any suggestions 115k miles
  • ziondaddyziondaddy Member Posts: 5
    my ram 1500 was getting stuck in first gear... i replaced the rear speed sensor on the tail of the tranny, and it now shifts perfect. this is the cause of trannies getting stuck in a certain gear, alot more often than people realize.. hope it is the problem for you cause its cheap and easy to replace:) good luck!
    it could be your shift control soleniod which is inside the transmission pan not to hard to change it fixed the problem on my 98 1500
    my 96 ram 1500 sport feels like it goes in reverse but doesnt go when you give it gas if your on the level it will idle its way backwards is there a way to tighten the bands or do i need a new one
    i heard somewhere that your brake light switch controls the converter lock out try that its only a few bucks
  • dasboot72dasboot72 Member Posts: 115
    Hi, I have been a Chrysler mechanic for 15 years. What year is your truck and what engine does it have, what trans does it have also if you know. I can probably give you an idea whats going on but I need this info.
  • benthornbenthorn Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500/5.9ltr/518 tranny is acting up. I need to practically redline the engine to get it to upshift 1-2, and 2-3. It will then (sometimes) shift up ok. If I go below 40mph it will downshift in to 2nd. I have changed fluid/filter. It has a fairly new governor sensor/pressure switch, and a new throttle position sensor.
    There is no slippage,all gears are solid when they finally upshift. Also there are no trouble codes indicated on a self diagnosis. Any help is appreciated.

Mopar67
  • sharonfrizzysharonfrizzy Member Posts: 1
    my husband has a 1985 dodge ram 250 day van it keeps dropping its transmission fluid every couple of year and the front seal blows. he's tried replacing the gear box but its happened again any ideas what can be causing it?
  • mpstablesmpstables Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 mega cab. Automatic trans with a 5.9 cummins. When you pull up to a stop light or intersection you must wait about 2.5 second before continueing to allow the transmission to down shift. You can actually feel in when in shifts down. If you do not wait you can tell your in about third gear. It does not matter if you change the transmission selector manually to first or second. If you wait you absolutely have no problems and everything shifts great. If you don't you have no power and your going to get your self killed. Code reader says p0748 - pressure control solenoid A electrical. This is at a stop in lower gears only, has anybody had this problem. Thanks Tim
  • drk1drk1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 04 Dodge P. U. 4x4 auto 4.7L. Vehicle drove like new, then I parked it, the next morning it would not move, Tried shifting through all the gears and nothing. Truck starts right up and runs fine, no idiot lights come on, Veh. only has 53K on it and has been serviced according to the manual. I called the dealer service dept, they said they never heard of such problem
  • rick_sayersrick_sayers Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 Dodge ram has a slip in it. when I am driving and I try to pass it seems like the auto trans goes into neutral. why would it be doing this?
  • nt_trainnt_train Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    i have a 2010 ram 1500 4x4 with 800 miles. when i am on snow and ice i hear all kinds of grinding noises in the transmission when the tires slip. these noises occur in and out of 4wd with or with out the traction control on. is this normal? i have owned many 4x4's but never heard any grinding noises when the tires spin. Issue number two, when letting off the gas i hear a whining noise from the tranny. It's not the tires, i dont think its the back pressure from the factory duals either. Is this normal?? Other than that it's an awesome truck.