Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• aliefoutlawaliefoutlaw Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    My brother recently acquired a Ram 1500 Pickup with a 3.9L engine and a 42re transmission. The truck ran fine for a few months then out of the blue its stopped shifting gears. You could get it into 1st and reverse but nothing else would work. He said that the Speedometer stopped working at the same time. My uncle replaced the Speedometer sensor and the truck seemed to be working fine for about 5 miles and then it happened again. I am not sure if the two have anything to do with each other but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what is wrong! Anything will help.
  • drillerman2drillerman2 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2008 3500 Into a local shop to have u joints replaced and auto trans. serviced. It is still under warranty but dodge dealer couldn't get it in and needed truck. I drove around 100 miles and went to park it. Wouldn't go into rev. or park. Took it back to shop they said shifter cable is stretched and they didn't have anything to do with it. They said it would be $260 to fix. I wasn't too happy but what do ya do.
  • gpaisgpais Member Posts: 4
    i had the same trouble,it was a grovenor pressure soleniod.also check the wiring harness where it go in the drivers side of the transmission .
  • howie12howie12 Member Posts: 1
    1997 Dodge slipping while in drive, have replaced speed sensors and lucas oil trans. sealer didn't fix the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas or have encounter this problem. Thanks
  • dtstringerdtstringer Member Posts: 1
    My 5.7 ram is making a click/clank noise after shifting. AT. Doesn't shift hard, fluid is new and OK. Makes this noise about 5-10 seconds after changing gears and the tach jumps about 50 to 100 rpms. Does this hot or cold, pulling a load or just cruising. Does this after any gear.
  • dodgeramguydodgeramguy Member Posts: 1
    my 99 ram 2500 has developed and issue with having to force the shift lever into park so it catches in the column dog slot. this will keep it in park as long as the key is turned off. Also it will not start in park i have to put in neutral to start. Have disconnected linkage all the way to trans and it would appear to be internal. had just recently added Trans-X to ward off a very mild slippage. original trans with 114k.
    any ideas? have not pulled pan yet.
    thanks!
  • twissstedrbtwissstedrb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 200 ram1500 with 5.9l automatic trans 47re, only shifts from 1st to 2nd!!! I also have 98 ram 1500 with 5.9l automatic, but not sure if it is 46re or 47re, from what i have learned the 46 and 47 are interchangeable????? but will the year difference cause me big problems if I put the 98 trans in the 2000.??? thanks
  • mjlaughy1mjlaughy1 Member Posts: 2
    This is a generic code. It only indicates that there is a trans code. Sounds as if your scan tool doesn't have the capability to look up trans codes specifically stored. The other 4 codes will be stored in the trans section of a scan tool much like those used @ the dealership. Hope this helps.
  • golfinggenogolfinggeno Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 dodge 2500 deisel that now when I just push the throttle a little it jumps back out of overdrive. It use to be able to give it gas on a small hill and would pull up the hill and not jump out of overdrive. Any ideas what is going on??
  • jmacgatorjmacgator Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 1500 HEMI and the transmission seems to surge when warming up and between 30 and 50 mph. Also it feels as if the trans is slipping when I accelerate. I took to the dealer and they confirmed the problem but don't know what is causing it. No codes. Any suggestions?
  • chibears1chibears1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    PLEEEEASE HELP if you can, 1998 ram 1500 4x4, A T everything works fine UNTIL the tranny warms up then it will get stuck in 1st gear until I put it in nutral rev it up then quick shift it back to drive then it will unlock itself and go in and out of gear, and then it sometimes stays like in O D and want to boug down and quit when I get to a stopsign unless i put it in nutral. Any thoughts at all would be a great help. Thanks P.S. I read that the tranny cooling line could be pluged, how can I tell witch one feeds the tranny and witch one is the return line?
  • rstchuckrstchuck Member Posts: 6
    :shades: I am 99% sure its your PCM I have a 99 durango with the 5.9 and it was doing the same thing. I tested it for power in and out of the pcm and its was not putting out what it should to activate the coils in the tranny. So I sent it off to be repaired and updated with the newest software upgrade $180. later and its GREAT.Call 888-664-8787 ask for Jim they are located in Florida.
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    Ref the plugged lines, BOTH get plugged. It is a continuous loop, so it doesn't matter where the plug (blockage) is, the flow will be stopped or restricted. Just like a water hose, blockage is blockage. Remove both. bobwinner
  • chibears1chibears1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to ALL for this info. I will be checking ALL this stuff and I will bring you all updates in the near future and let you all know what the problem is and or was. :)
  • daveeldaveel Member Posts: 3
    I have 2001 Dodge Ram P.U. I have no reverse at all, can you please tell me if adjusting the bands will help and if so give me some information on how to adjust the bands?Thank you,
    I am having a problem with my reverse is gone will adjusting the bands help this? If so can you give me some information on how to adjust the bands, Thank you.
  • sk8nclintsk8nclint Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 45RFE, I am wondering how costly it will be to fix these problems or if I need a new tranny. Also if it is a hard fix, I have no idea where to start. I have replaced a couple trans before but do not know much about this. Thanks for any help.

P0841 Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch A Circ Range/Perf
    P0846 Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch B Circ Range/Perf
    P0871 Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch C Circ Range/Perf
    P0988 Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch E Circ Range/Perf
    P0876 Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch D Circ Range/Perf
    P0750 Shift Solenoid A
    My husband has a 2001 Dodge Ram P.U. he has no reverse at all, all other gears work fine. He is wondering if adjusting the bands will help and if so can you give him some information on how to adjust the bands. Thank you, Davee
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    while or after operating truck, feel of tranny cooler. If it is not HOT, you have a fluid circulation problem. Remove the check balls , one in each tranny cooling line near the cooler. bobwinner
  • sk8nclintsk8nclint Member Posts: 3
    the cooler was cool except for in the top left corner it was fairly hot. this was after i barely got the truck to normal operating temperature.
  • geetmonkeygeetmonkey Member Posts: 6
    I have this scenario: Out of the blue, my truck will softly go into gear but it will not move forward nor backward. When you accelerate (and still not moving) the RPMs run as if you are holding down (locking) the brakes as the truck tries to move, but can't. If you floor the accelerator it will creep forward as if something was holding it back. Does anyone out there know these symptoms?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Relays were checked and are okay in box. Front and Rear bands have just been adjusted.
  • tnt10tnt10 Member Posts: 1
    my transmission drops to second gear after i turn the ac and run for a while
  • rsdawgrsdawg Member Posts: 1
    1st and 2nd are the same no change if i shift from 1st to 2nd , shift into D big clunk and there is no overdrive while in drive it is at 3000 rpm at 70 mph and it is normally at 2100 rpm. please help you gu ru's :mad:
  • fugazifugazi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 48re in a Dodge dually with 50k miles. Coming back on a recent trip the tranny started to slip after about 10 hours of pulling a 5th wheel over mountain roads. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? Did it maybe get too hot, do the bands need adjusting or ??? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • ramlovrramlovr Member Posts: 17
    I'm going out on a limb here! Dodge transmissions just suck. Your probably going to need a rebuild.There might be this guy that is going to tell you that the check ball needs to be removed. I have also heard that they never stick. So, Who is right? Dont know but when my trans started to act up people on here said it was this and said it was that.. No! It was the trans going out period.It took a few months but it finally crapped out even thought I replaced everything people told me to replace.Dodge trannies just suck.Sorry.That pretty much goes for everyone on here having problems. There is no cheap fix. Just replace the trans with one that has been rebuilt."Problem Solved" As for Bob ? My trans guy said he has never seen a problen with the check ball sticking.And it seams to me that your answer for all tranny problems is that ball. Care to chime in?
  • skatafrataskatafrata Member Posts: 3
    04 quad 2500 hemi. 69000 miles. has been doing this: 1st thing in morning start engine put into drive floor it to go to fire call. Trans slips then is ok after a 20 seconds. After hot and sitting for about 1-3 hours, same thing, slips when flooring it then ok. Presently at dealer. Dealer said it was check valve part of trans service? Are they trying to get out of fixing something else under 7/70 warranty?? Please help. Will probably be done by Tuesday 8/17. I need to be one step ahead of dealer if possible. Thanks to anyone.
  • 98ramhead98ramhead Member Posts: 18
    my 98 1500 did the same but not actually i thought it was slippin but it was the torque converter control soleniod makes you think its slippin didnt drive yours so i could be off but take it into consideration
  • mwemyssmwemyss Member Posts: 1
    Hello, trying to help somone I barely know very down on his luck! He has a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4 Speed with electronic transmission with electronic overdrive. It only works in 1st gear he can only travel about 15 miles he would like to know if anybody can give him some trouble shooting he can't afford the manual or the mechanic let me know thanks.
  • jeffshelljeffshell Member Posts: 1
    2002 2500 4wd ram with cummins engine and auto trans. lock-up convertor in trans kicks in and out between 45 and 60 mph above 60 no problem anybody got any ides
  • marsha12marsha12 Member Posts: 3
    After braking hard I noticed that the truck would no longer shift into overdrive. I parked it reset the computer and drove about 4 miles fine until the check engine light comes back on. The nearest shop is about 200 miles away so looking for some direction
  • joe1122joe1122 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ram 1500 auto transmision pick up truck. Previously my truck would not shift down into first gear without manually doing it. Eventually the transmission burnt out. I've since replaced the transmission but, it's still not shifting down into first gear. What could the problem be?
  • fastcarr66fastcarr66 Member Posts: 2
  • fastcarr66fastcarr66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a friend who has a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, he says that everytime that he places the Truck in Drive or Reverse, that it stalls, we are hoping that it is not Transmission Related. any Guidence that could be given here would be appreciated.
  • thatazguythatazguy Member Posts: 9
    Often these issues go back to an electrical problem. Start w/ taking your connectors apart and using dielectric grease on each connection between the steering column and your computer. Test drive. check for loose wires, look in each connection while doing this process looking for any signs of corrosion (green etc etc). Our older vehicles are facing problems with dried cracking insulation that makes it seem as though sensors are malfunctioning due to microshorts (yes the shorts you keep wanting to see sexy people wear) and voltage loss. I know of one Dodge case where they finally found the problem while the vehicle was in drive while being supported. The spark was ONLY visible in this state. At least they found it. Good luck...
  • spike18spike18 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 dodge 1500 that was doing the same thing p0748
    I tried everything the only thing that fixed it was a computer
    got one from a wrecking yard
  • spike18spike18 Member Posts: 2
    put it on yesterday drove it around one hundred miles still works fine
  • bigman6bigman6 Member Posts: 1
    did you find out what is your problem?if so let me know, having the same problem
  • lettlett Member Posts: 1
    my trans i acting up .when i pull a trailer and mash on gas pettel and try to go to passing gear .it will not go to about 3000/3500 rpms and the pickup starts bucking and will not pick up any spead and shift into passing gear.where is the problem.contect me . rlett47601@sbcglobal.net. :cry: :mad: Thanks
  • honeyman2honeyman2 Member Posts: 8
    my 2001 dodge with 5.9 diesel engine the transmission keeps shifting in and out of gear at about 45 to 50 miles per hour. If I keep giving it fuel it works great and below 45 works good .Any ideas for me to cure this problem.
  • dodgeproofdodgeproof Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2010
    Had exact problem, really been doing this as far back as I can remember but getting so bad I had to do something. Bought truck new, 2001 3500 2wd diesel, 185k now. Pedal nearly floored it was fine, try to ease around and it shifted back and forth every second at 38 to 48 mph. Reputable tranny shop put a device on the TPS to eliminate static, helped a little, never fixed it. I was told by other dealerships to steam clean the engine-- they swore that had fixed that problem in the past.... i had little faith in that, tried it and no good result. Did get me to thinking about oil residue and bad spark plug wires glowing at night when going bad... I ended up rerouting the ground wire coming off the pass side battery that immediately grouped together with the alternator wiring harness and went over to the TPS. I also spotted an old washing machine stainless braided hose in my shop and used that to sheild it. I also made sure all grounds to chassis and around engine were clean, they were in my case. Anyway, test drive was bettetr than i ever remembered the truck shifting, problem solved! Apparantly alternator was setting up an electrical field that bled down that ground and affected the tps shifting times . Hope this helps, Mike
    Nope not yet it is a mystery?? If you find the problem first please let us know.
  • dakotakid89dakotakid89 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, everytime that he places the Truck in Drive or Reverse, it makes like a hopping or a jerking motion but once i get speed built up its ok, I'm hoping that it is not Transmission Related. any Guidence that could be given here would be appreciated.
  • charley8charley8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel truck. Just had new trubo, lift pump, injector pump, and front brakes replaced. Now I am hearing a growling noise when the truck slows down. It does it in neutral with out any braking. It seems to go away whrn the truck is almost stopped if it is in gear. Front transmission line replaced recently. Mechanic broke the metal line but ccapped it over with a rubber line and clamps. I do not trust the fluid he added either. Hope someone can help, getting pricey.
  • powderhound05powderhound05 Member Posts: 1
    Tranny wont go into park and will not shift out of third gear.I have three codes they are Po753, P1757and P1765 any idea what it could be.
  • circuitrydercircuitryder Member Posts: 30
    I have an '01 4wd 5.9 auto (46re). Earlier this year, I had problems with lock up converter, which more than anything, seemed to resolve itself after fluid and filter change. Lately, however, trans has begun to have late shifts, 2-3, and on occasion, 1-2. Seems to happen once engine is warm after driving a few minutes. WHEN COLD, trans seems to work fine (may be because I am still driving slowly?). Seems to be the opposite of what others have on this forum. Fluid is red and full; 3-4 shift is fine, and TC lockup is fine - once the transmission makes the 2-3 shift. I road tested it today, and under slow acceleration, trans seems to shift fine, but under moderate to hard accel., engine winds out to over 4000 rpms in second. I can sometimes force a shift by backing off accel. at high rpms, or bumping the throttle. I recently adjusted the TV cable and checked for the presence of a spring and it seems to be in order. Replaced the TPS this year, and filter about 6 months ago. Problem started when the trans fluid got a little low after replacing the radiator. It was about a quart low for a month I guess. Fluid is AFT+4. Bands have not been adjusted - would that cause this problem?
  • pencilpencil Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    2004 Ram 3500, 4X4 Diesel with high output auto Transmission. After longer runs at freeway speeds, would not shift down to 1st. remained in 2nd or even 3rd gear. Fluid was a bit burnt and overfull (thanks Jiffy Lube). had system flushed and refilled. seemed all good for around 300 miles, now once again it will not shift down when hot at a stop light etc. and so trailer pulling is out of question. Someone said "shift point sensor" but cannot find anything on that..

Was going to pull pan and check filters or screens etc. ????

Ideas??
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If the pan wasn't dropped on the flush and refill, that may have just masked the problem for a while. You need a thorough transmission service, checking the screen, bands, and filter... looking for debris and other signs of damage.

Even though you may not have a Check Engine light, also check for trouble codes.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • pencilpencil Member Posts: 2
    Thank you,
    I have a fairly extensive mechanical background on heavy equipment, just never messed with auto transmissions. I did yesterday drop the pan, replace the screen. and re add aprox 8 quarts of fluid. There were no chunk of debris, but the magnet did hold close to 1/8" of smudge on it. cleaned and reassembled, it once again on short runs appears better.

I am not sure how to check trouble codes if it happens again, and there are no warning lights being activated. The truck has over 140,000 on it, and has been used for some heavy pulling (trailer with bobcat equipment on it etc)..

Thanks again, very much appreciated. as you know most shops want the $3,000.00 to overhaul something that could be a easy fix.
  • geetmonkeygeetmonkey Member Posts: 6
    P0753:Shift solenoid. P1757:Govenor pressure switch/solenoid above 3PSI when request is PSI-14. P1765: Transmission 12V supply relay control circuit open, shorted-14.