Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    To pull codes, it's an ignition key cycle.

In quick succession - On (not Start)-Off (not Lock)-On-Off-On
    Then watch your odometer display. Any codes will show there (P follow by a 4 digit number).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • shrimpmanshrimpman Member Posts: 1
    My Truck Is An 04 5.9 Automstic Cummins Ram 3500. Truck Idles Fine But As Soon As You Put It In Gear The Truck Steps The Gas Up On Its Own To Make It Run Approx 20 Mph When You Come Up To Red Light You Have To Put Foot On The Brake To Keep It From Running Away But As Soon As You Shift To Neutral It Idles Down To Where It Belongs Need Help... Please
  • mmg071184mmg071184 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    i have a 2001 ram1500 5.9v8 auto. i replaced the heater core yesterday and today after i put the dash back on and stated it up and put it in gear to back out of the garage, but it was a no go, doesnt move in any gear and when i try to put it back into park, it makes a grinding sound, any thoughts?
  • mrellermreller Member Posts: 5
    did you get it figured out if so what was it my 98 doesnt do low or reverse it used to only go in low and reverse electrical?
  • mmg071184mmg071184 Member Posts: 2
    no i haven't figured it out. i've been workin too much overtime and goin to school. thank god for the wifes car, i asked around and im gonna tinker with the electrical this weekend, i need to double check all the connections and see if i missed a connector or didnt push one in all the way. ill let you know by sunday.
  • pirklepirkle Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. Solved it by disconnecting The negative battery cables for one minute to reset the computer and installing a 30 dollar APPS noise isolator from BD Diesel.It only took 5 min and I'm not a tech
  • sbellsrsbellsr Member Posts: 4
    I have 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel. For the past 2 years the transmission will shift back and forth when it is in the last gear. At times I disconnected the neg battery cables and reset the TPS. Sometimes this lasted for 2 months. The problem always comes back. Recently I replaced the TPS. After 2 weeks the problem is back but not as bad. Does any one have any ideas?
  • timorr_06timorr_06 Member Posts: 11
    3-4 shift sensor??
    i recently had similar a problem , wouldn't shift from 3 to 4 then erratic shifting... i replaced the governor sensor, governor plate and the 3-4 shift sensor. not cheap.. so i went to a dead trans at the wreckers... took out the parts i wanted... works like a charm. i replaced all three parts as i was told by trans shop that it SHOULD be any one of those parts.. i know, i know.. used parts in a trans... but i had to !!!!
  • blah6blah6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 dodge ram pickup 1500 5.2 v8 and my transission will only go into first gear and will only drive 30 miles an hour so i am trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas?
  • greasymotorgreasymotor Member Posts: 5
    i have a 98' 5.9 cummins and i need to replace the pedal position sensor its a tough part to get ahold of but i also need to know where to look for it on the truck (this needs to be done ASAP!!! and i don't have a manuel) PLEASE HELP!!!
  • greasymotorgreasymotor Member Posts: 5
    could be that the rooster is stuck past the parking paul in the tranny, as for the codes any P1's are dealer codes
    30 mph is fine for first gear.... you might want to drive slower if you have to drive it at all..
    my best guess is the 1-2 shift sensor.. or governor sensor... i had a 3-4 shift sensor problem... would only go 1st and 2nd gears no shift to third... it's in this forum somewhere.
    i went with used parts!!! lol, i was BROKE... and it still shifts like new....
    from another forum i was told....
    try a good auto wreckers, these things go without reason both new and used....

It is on the part that the throttle cable hooks to on the engine.
  • boyle9boyle9 Member Posts: 1
    04 2500 diesel with 48re tranny starts out in 2nd gear revs to 3000rpm then shifts into 3rd but never shifts out of third hooked scan tool up does not show any codes i was told gov press. sensor wound't that show a code.plese help going to move soon
  • sk8nclintsk8nclint Member Posts: 3
    my 2002 ram 1500 4.7 is still stuck in limp mode, even after i replaced the solonoid pack, filter and fluid, and the tcm. the only codes that show up are those caused by the solonoid pack. what else could it possibly be?
  • wobigpat000wobigpat000 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 ram 1500 club cab auto 5.2
    THE ISSUE: after running for a little while the transmission starts to slip out of OD, and the tranny feels like its in nutral and the engine revs way up. then when i put the rpm down it sometimes catches back into gear, there is also a wierd grinding sound coming from the tranny while driving which increases in sound with speed. sound stops when i turn OD off? the worst day ever with the truck happened yesterday after i drove like 20 miles straight, it slipped so bad i couldnt even take off from a stop as if it was in nuetral. Ive heard this is because of the tranny cooler lines, also some valve and sensor? anyone have the same issue and know of a solution. if not im just gonna get a used tranny with 100k on it for $400
  • link88link88 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, 5.2L. Trans shifts are erratic and sometimes rough. It seems to shift better when I keep the RPMs higher in city traffic. Fluid and filter have been changed. I also have a trouble code P0455 (evap emission control system gross leak detected). Any connection between the two? Any thoughts? Truck otherwise runs good.
  • morehorsepowermorehorsepower Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 ram 3500 auto. It was shifting fine but the trans has 190k on it and it had been 65k since the last filter change. I replaced the filter and drove about 45 miles. Everything worked fine. When i drove the truck next it started in third gear and wouldn't shift at all. I can downshift into second manually but not first. This is my only truck and i need to get to school. Any ideas will be much apreaceated. Thanks, Daniel.
  • 340cudaman340cudaman Member Posts: 3
    This happen to me also on my '03 truck. It happened off and on for long time. I was told an error is seen in the TCM and it goes into safety mode. I was told to check my ground wire. I had a 5+ year old battery and the ground cable was not so good. I replaced both and have not had an issue since. Maybe during fluid changed something happen to the wire harness.
  • bow570bow570 Member Posts: 1
    i have the replacement bolt in for about a year and now it has came off i pulled everything off and tightened it back up and spot welded it there and it came off less then 4 hrs what should i try now
    98 dodge ram 3500 duelly
  • fletcher011fletcher011 Member Posts: 1
    2005 dodge 2500 disel 109,000miles auto trans will not shift out of low gear. rev, park , neu is all good and snaps into low like normal. problem came out of no where. trans has not been serviced. any ideas?
    i would be willing to bet that it is your 1-2 shift sensor, could be the governor sensor but i doubt it...
  • axle1axle1 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking at buying a Dodge 2006 2500 diesel. I had a GMC 2500 gas and when you went uphill with a load it would downshift violently and go to 4,000 rms. I was wondering if any body knows if the dodges have any problems like this on there auto trans (48re i think). I would get a manual trans but they are harder to find. Please help, thanks.
  • ziegzieg Member Posts: 3
    My truck has been running great until recently when I hit a cow and had to replace the cooler, radiator and air conditioning. It ran great again for a week. Two days ago, I replaced the fuel pump and today there was a loud bang when I stopped at a light, then it only ran in 2nd gear and reverse. When I started going up a hill, I lost all forward gears and had only the reverse gear. I replaced the transmission fluid with ATF-3. I'm stilling having the same problem. Any suggestions as to what I should try next? I'm at a loss and appreciate any help.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Wha'd you hit there Hoss, an Angus, Holstein or Jersey?
  • showdog1showdog1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel w/auto tranny. It surges from 1st to 2nd gear if you are driving slow, but hardly notice if you put your foot into it. Also, it is slow to shift from 3-4 and worse from 5-6 when pulling a trailer. Do not notice it much unless pulling. It will rev to 3000 rpm's before it shifts. I have had multiple transmission shops and dealers look at it and most find no codes on the computer but have replaced the following: Pressure switch and pressure regulator, replaced solenoids and sensor adjust bands, Gov SOL and Gov sensor, Prndl switch and connector, serviced with new filter and fluid twice. All this and still having the same problem. Took it back to the same dealer as last time and now they are saying it needs a Throttle Valve Actuator, Govenor Duty Cycle Solenoid, Pressure Transducer, Adjust Both Bands and update the computer with a new service bulletin that recently came out that is suppose to help shift quality.
    If anybody has any suggestions or have had this problem and can help, please let me know.
    I have a2005 Ram 3500 diesel with the 48RE and have not experienced any violent downshifting uphill. Usually before I climb a notable grade, I'll activate Tow/Haul which delays upshifting to keep the engine in a good power spot. And with the diesel, you won't go beyond 3200 rpm (in-gear redline).

If you have a 2006 diesel, you only have a 4-speed automatic (48RE), so there wouldn't be a 5-6 shift. The 6-speed automatic wasn't introduced until January of 2007 with the new 6.7 liter Cummins engine.

If all the mechanicals check out and there's no sign of overheating fluid, delayed shifts are usually a computer problem of some sort. And for the non-dealer shops that worked on it, I'd want to know if they changed or added fluid, what kind they used. If it was anything except Chrysler ATF+4, that can cause serious problems.

• showdog1showdog1 Member Posts: 2
    The fluid was changed about 4 months ago by a non-dealer (not sure of the kind of fluid) and changed again about a month ago by the dodge dealer. Surely they would use the Chrysler ATF+4. I will do some checking into that. As far as computer problems, do you recommend any particular shop that can check this out?
    Find a Dodge dealer that does notable Ram business. They'll need to run checks on the various sensors that operate the trans.

• kenenderskenenders Member Posts: 2
    can i put a mv4500 5speed tranny up to a 92 cummins that had a getrac360 tranny will the bellhousing and transfer case bolt up thanks
  • mmills63mmills63 Member Posts: 4
    I would first of all say thanks to ALL for such a informative site and much great info. Now to my problem. I am posting for a friend of mine who has a 2001 Ram 1500 2 wheel drive 5.2 L automatic transmission and the series of problems he is having is about a week ago the OD light came on and trans temp light while driving to work but was shifting okay ( 35 miles daily ). Approx 5 days later he drove to work and when getting off interstate shifted "weird" he went to gas station shut-off and when came back out to start it would not move in drive but if put in low 1 it would take off and then he could put in drive and would shift okay he stated. Left at work for a few days for fear to drive home and do more damage to transmission. Yesterday got in to check it out and now it won't get out of first gear regardless of where he puts shifter. The governor and shift sensor were replaced a couple of years ago and has never had any other transmission fluid in it except ATF+4. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    Dropping out of overdrive and the OD light coming on PROBABLY signaled an overheating condition. That was PROBABLY caused by a restriction in the tranny cooling system, most likely those damn check balls . Be that as it may, the tranny is most likely shot. Just to satisfy your mind, you could disconnect one cooling line out by the tranny cooler and start the engine, put tranny in drive. If fluid does not squirt several feet, you have found what has caused the problem. Not much you can do about it now, but may help prevent a re-occurrence. bobwinner
    edited October 2010
    I just talked to buddy again about truck and he said it did not jump out of overdrive as I stated but that it would not shift into overdrive. Is this the same problem as stated in previous message (#1712) ? Thanks
    edited October 2010
    *****REVISED REVISED AFTER DRIVING TRUCK **** I would first of all say thanks to ALL for such a informative site and much great info. Now to my problem. I am posting for a friend of mine who has a 2001 Ram 1500 2 wheel drive 5.2 L automatic transmission and the series of problems he is having is about a week ago while driving to work the truck would not drop into OD and the OD off light came on and trans temp light came on . Approx 5 days later he drove to work and when getting off interstate shifted "weird" he went to gas station shut-off and when came back out started it and it went into gear reverse and drive. Left at work for a few days for fear to drive home and do more damage to transmission. Yesterday got in to check it out and now it will slip out of gear and if you move shifter to neutral and then back to drive it will start pulling again. I just went and drove truck to my home approx 35 miles and it would do the same but I did get it to go in all gears except overdrive and none of the lights came on until about 40 minutes into the drive then the od off light came on and approx. 3 minutes later trans temp light came on. I let it sit for 5 minutes and drove home with no lights on but still had the shift problem. The governor and shift sensor were replaced a couple of years ago and has never had any other transmission fluid in it except ATF+4. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :confuse: :confuse: :sick:
    I agree with bobwinner that this is an overheating-related failure. Once the trans temp light came on, the truck should have been shut down and towed.

Thanks to both for information I guess I will look for transmission. :cry:
  • hnorthenhnorthen Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my dodge ram not shifting out of 1st gear. Sometimes driving down the road it would shift to 2nd and then 3rd then suddnely jumped into neutral till I slowed down enough and then would it would go into 1st gear and wouldn't shift out. I found out there's a governor pressure sensor and a governor pressure solenoid. I replaced both and the truck runs like new. Autozone, etc, has them for $100 a piece but I found them for about $50 a piece delivered at transmissionpartsusa.com
  • brknarrowbrknarrow Member Posts: 1
    Looking for help with a problem just arising on my mega cab the other day. When you come to a stop, you can feel the converter re-engage and want to hold torque against the brakes. It will sit there and billow smoke out of the exhaust until you let off the brakes and it takes off. When you stop and shift from drive to park or neutral, the rpm spikes until it senses its no longer in gear.
  • garethygarethy Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I am having a similar recurring problem where the OD turns off after 35+/- miles and the the trans temp light come on shortly after that. Any insight on where the "damn check balls" or the drainback valve are located and are these replaceable? (2001 Ram 1500 5.2L w/ 130,000 miles)
  • bwillardbwillard Member Posts: 10
    Help please! My 2000 dodge 2500 shifts in and out of overdrive when you maintaine a steady speed around 45 to 55. My tranny guy said to have computer flashed before doing anything. But the dealer is the only to flash and they do not want to just do the computer. I am just confused of what to do. Thanks for any help!
  • dwight8216dwight8216 Member Posts: 7
    i had the same problem the dodge dealer told me i needed a new trans but the the real problem is the battery teminals either bad connection or bad if thats not it could be the alternater feedback or bad ground i did the terminals and after that it shifts great hope this helps Dwight
  • dodgeproofdodgeproof Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    My 01 did the same, and my friends 99 also. Easy fix, you need to isolate the ground wire coming off the passenger side battery that groups in with the wiring harness under the alternator and then sheild it. I cut mine and pulled it out of the harness just up to the front of the valve cover and routed it above and away from the aternator, and also had an old stainless braided washing machine hose in the garage that I slipped over the ground wire to sheild it from the alternator. I then meshed the ground wire back where I cut it and soldered it, didn't have any crimp connectors that night. Truck drives better than when it was new. My friend followed this advice with exact results. The electronics that control the shift and your throttle can get voltage from the field coming from the alternator. Good luck, let me know if it fixes it. Mike,
  • dodgeproofdodgeproof Member Posts: 3
    Btw, Dwight is correct in that bad battery connections can cause it, especially the grounds. I have heard results from cleaning the chassis grounds-- I tried all of that on mine first, but this is a clean Georgia truck, may be different on a truck that sees salt.
    :shades:
  • dkdodge123dkdodge123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 2WD with a 46RH automatic transmission. My problems began when one night the transmission started slipping and changing gears randomly. Overdrive stopped working and the trans. temp light came on. I parked it for the night and came back the next morning and drove it home, it was acting the same as the night before. Now the truck barely moves, Reverse works fine. No forward gears work, the truck has the be at around 1500 RPM to even inch forward. Transmission has 120k miles and fluid was recently changed. If anyone can give me a checklist of all the possible problems it would be greatly appreciated.
  • rickqrickq Member Posts: 4
    Our 1999 Dodge 1500 Automatic will not shift through the gears without letting off the throttle to allow it to shift. We have replaced the shift solenoid in the transmission but did not change the sensor. Where is the sensor located? Could this be causing the problems? In addition, the truck will go completely dead after sitting. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
    hi, i think you might want to take a look at my post # 1618 as well as other post of mine... i am not a trans mechanic nor a mechanic at all. i am a do it yourselfer and i buy and sell 4-6 cars a month. you might want to consider changing the governor sensor while you're in there. funny thing, i just bought another doge truck last night 2000 Dakota. has close to the same issues. was almost free but i think i can fix it cheap!! you can do this yourself if you are auto savvy at all...
    check out the post and ... GOOD LUCK
    We are on the phone now attempting to get the governor sensor....is this located in the same area as the solenoid???
    Autozone is saying they have a speed sensor not a governor sensor? Is there a chance the computer needs resetting since we changed the governor solenoid?
    governor plate is what i meant , and try the speed sensor.... i apologize for my mistaken terms, as i said... i 'm not a mechanic. my trans issue included shifting problems , so you wouldn't need to replace the shift sensor...i have helped fix three dodge trucks belonging to friends since fixing mine and in all of them we did the governor solenoid, and plate, the speed sensor and shift sensor if needed....twice we put in used parts and everything worked well after...