Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• p2369p2369 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 1500 and it's real sluggish in reverse. I push the gas and it revs and slowly backs up but slips as it goes. I have no problems in drive. Fluid level is fine. I'm afraid to have it looked at, don't need headache.

p2369
  • harold05harold05 Member Posts: 1
    19K miles, 4.7L motor 4x4. Vehicle purchased used, no prior history found. When descending hill (cruise on), rpms' spike to 3800-4000 from 2000 and acts like a jake brake on a diesel. Any thoughts? (4 trips to dealer, no trouble found.)
  • kcnddkcndd Member Posts: 1
    Got an '06 2500 d-sel 4x4. With 88K on the odom we are having tons of transmission problems. (Bought October of 07)Local dealer replaced 1st unit due to slipping & said clutches were fused. 2nd unit started slipping after about 20K miles on it. Seems to me it may be a heat issue as it doesn't slip nearly as much when transmission is cold. We haul campers 3x times a week ranging in weight 4,000 - 12,000 lbs each thru West Virginia mountains. Dealer isn't sure what to do next. They want to replace valve body. Anybody out there had similar problems? Can't get much info from Chrysler about any transmission problems/service notices. HELP :confuse:
  • joemc1joemc1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a '95 Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins and 196k on the odometer.At 160,000 my tranny started to shift/fluctuate 200-300 rpms at highway speed55-75mph.This is an intermittent problem I have no symptom or warning when it is going to happen I took it to the Dodge dealer and they replaced it with a reman ($2500.00). The warranty was 3yrs/36,000 for the reman. Well at 35,400 and 4 years and 196k the same condition returned. I took it to a highly recommended tranny shop and they rebuilt it ($2400.00). I left for Florida, not towing,got two hundred miles away from home and the same situation occurred.Turned around took it back they went through it checking soleniods etc.I took it back, drove around for a week, planned to leave for FL (1280miles)on Sunday 10/21 when lo and behold on 10/19 I am traveling down the Interstate and the same conditon occurs!
    It shifts and runs well in all gears but at highway speeds it seem to slip in and out of overdrive. I'm so disgusted right now that I'm thinking of going to FL anyway. I will be towing 8k on the way back. I'm thinking throttle position sensor. Am I correct?
  • wolfer3wolfer3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Well I finally got around to changing the governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor. Works like a charm now. YAY! If I had to point the finger at one component I would blame it on the bracket thats holds the sensor in place. The senor was VERY loose because the bracket wasn't holding it tightly in place. When I replaced the sensor the new one was loose also. I slightly bent the tabs in and now the sensor doesn't move. Thanks, Wolfer
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I'm assuming you got a new torque converter each time with the reman and rebuild. Your symptoms sound a lot like the TC having problems staying locked in the upper gears (it only locks in 3 and 4). Yes, the TPS can affect that and would be the first thing to check - if that doesn't solve the problem, I'd want the TC looked at as well after spending all that $$.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • tincup72tincup72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ram 1500 with a 360, automatic transmission and the tow package. The truck has 125,000 miles on it with the original tranny. Here is my problem. About two weeks ago I got a check engine light. This was followed by a very slight transmission slippage. Sometimes it was from a dead stop, but if I babied the throttle it would take right off. A good friend of mine recommended that I disconnect the battery to clear the engine light. He felt the light was most likely an O2 sensor. This worked for about a day and the light came back. Two days ago the truck would start out fine in 1st gear, but would struggle with shifting into 2nd gear. The shift would occur around 3000 rpm with it then shifting through all the gears. No problem with reverse. The problem seemed to be worse on colder days. Today, though, it will not shift into 2nd gear at all no matter how high the rpm's. When I hit 25-30mph and let up of off the throttle I can feel it shift all the way into high gear. When I step back on the gas it is slipping as if the gear is to high for the vehicle speed. If I let it coast, it downshifts very smoothly through all the gears. Once it is in 1st gear it takes right off again, but still will not shift into 2nd gear. I flushed and changed fluid and filter. The pan was void of any metal and the pan magnet had a slight amount of sludge on it. This, unfortunately, did not fix the problem.

I am going to take it to a parts store and have them run a diagnostic on it. Is there a specific analyzer they must use for this year and model? I am not convinced this is a mechanical problem with the transmission, but an electrical control problem. What types of things should I be looking at? From reading through this thread I feel my problem may be as simple as a throttle position sensor. Please Help. I'm desperate. I fear that a tranmission mechanic will recommend replacing the transmission as "cover-all" solution to this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • danv1danv1 Member Posts: 2
    My '99 did a similar thing (erratic shifting, check engine light, etc..). Took it to Autozone and the put a code reader on it free of charge. It was the speed control sensor. It is located on the driver's side of the tranny. If that is the problem, I recall it being less than $20 and ten minutes to replace. Just make sure to check and re-tighten after a day or so, as it will back out a little from the heat. Good luck.
  • alanbellalanbell Member Posts: 2
    Having a hard time getting my manual tranny into gear. Also, have no 4x4, cruise, and the A/C vent is on defrost. Any suggestions and approx. how much will it cost to remedy?
  • rambo57rambo57 Member Posts: 7
    My transmissions has the same symptoms and has for about a year. Last December the local maintenance shop recommended I put in a new transmission but I was determined it wasn't mechanical. It seems that after they connected diagnostics to it last December, it shifted fine for the next several months. Electrical connections possibly? After several months it started having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd again and I continued to baby it until recently when my check engine light came on. I took it in and it indicated it was the speed control sensor. They replaced this and I had my hopes up that this was going to resolve my problem but my shifting problems remain. It did seem to help though....

My problems seem to get worse as the transmission gets warm. It shifts fine for the first 10 - 15 miles of stop and go. I'm going to attempt to replace the throttle position sensor next. If you have any success with your transmission, please let me know since it sounds we have the exact same problem. I'll do the same...

Good Luck and Thanks!
  • alanbellalanbell Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to add that the problem I have is from a stand still. It shifts when moving but that is getting a bit harder to do. I have been down shifting as I come to a stop and leaving it in gear when I park to avoid the issue. I think it will shift through the gears when the engine is turned off (at least it did the other day) with no problem. Alan
  • davelyondavelyon Member Posts: 3
    My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2 liter, 46RE Auto trans) is slipping in overdrive. When I let my foot off the gas and coast, then put step on it again (gently) the engine revs will climb 500-600 rpms then settle down to a constant mark. It will also do this with the cruise control on, so it's not just me. If I turn off the OD the trans shifts great. The truck only has 65k miles (verified!).The tranny shop says it needs to be rebuilt (of course!) but is there a way to adjust the electronic OD? Is there a solenoid or some other electronic part I can replace before I spend $2000 on a new tranny?
  • markr263markr263 Member Posts: 1
    After 3 days and less than 400 total miles my transmission started making the oddest sound, almost like the air squeaking out of a balloon. The delearship didn't have a clue but eventually told me I needed a new transmission. At first they were going to rebuild it but now they're going to give me a new truck. Anyone heard of this problem before?
    More research is leading me to believe that the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is the culprit. I believe the TCC is slipping as it's locking up and failing to remain locked when I let off the gas.

Anyone here concur?

Would replacing the torque converter fix it or is the TCC actually inside the tranny and not in the converter?
    Dave if you read my previous posts you will see that I have the same problem. After two rebuilds I finally talked then in to replacing the throttle position sensor (TPS). I got the truck back on 11/2 and so far so good. My problem is an intermittent one so the acid test will come when I leave CT for FL on 11/10. I will report on it's performance when/if I arrive in FL. :surprise:
  • monsterpotsmonsterpots Member Posts: 1
    I recently found this wedge shaped piece of metal in my transmission pan. I took my truck to a shop to have the rear end looked at and had my transmission serviced. I was not happy with anything these guys but they did say that the transmission was fine. This was the first and last time I ever take my truck to a shop, I usually do everything myself. Anyway the 2nd gear issue everyone seems to have started up and so I service my trans only to find this weird piece of metal in the pan. At first I thought it was the end of some type of air chisel. My truck still runs but revs high from 1st to 2nd, if I get on it at all, and the same if the trans tries to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Other they that the truck seems ok but there is no way I can tow anything or try to take off in a hurry. So where does this piece of metal go and how do I get it in there?
    Thanks for the input. I suspected it was an electronic problem, the tranny shop was too eager to do a rebuild. I'll be looking forward to any new info.
  • tallman4tallman4 Member Posts: 3
    recently bought a 1998 Dodge 2500 series diesel as is off car lot, 158879 miles runs well except when it starts goes in overdrive it usually just goes in and out rapidily causing about a 2-300 rpm change but it usually wont stay in at all, reading the other post maybe a tps or speed sensor . I have no history on this truck , tranny oil looks real clean any help appreciated thanks Tall
    also think I may smell antifreeze from heater is this early for a heater coil?
    I arrived in FL today 11/11 1,352miles and no erratic shifting in and out of overdrive. The TPS must have been the problem all along :sick: I guess I it didn't need the rebuild. Expensive experiment and Dodge was no help at all. I'll report back on the return trip.
  • indyffindyff Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 ram 1500 4x4 with auto trans.
    When I first start the truck when it is still cold and shift from p to d the transmission jumps. when the engine warms up the transmission is fine. I am not having any problems with slipping. I bought it with 61000 miles on it and don't know prev history...any thoughts
  • dillondawgdillondawg Member Posts: 18
    I'm no expert but have maintained all my own vehicles for nearly 30 years. When I'm in trouble I have a heavy equipt. repair shot across the street. Know this: Anytime there is loose metal in the pan of your transmission it's not "OK" as the shop mechanics said. I recently serviced my Ram 3500 OD trans. and found something similar to what you described. It was a tang on a retainer ring that holds to OD gearset in place. It was able to be replaced without removing or disassembling the transmission too far. Had to remove transfer case and transmission tailshaft to get to it. Get a second opinion.
  • alphadog54alphadog54 Member Posts: 1
    When I reach 1500rpms the trans shifts in & out until I reach 1900rpms+. will stop when I take it out of overdrive. Any in sight is well comed.
    Thanks!
  • bigh1234bigh1234 Member Posts: 2
    when the truck warms up the transmission temp light comes on and the over drive does not work
  • tallman4tallman4 Member Posts: 3
    overdrive will not work when the trans gets to a certain temp , may be getting hot or could be the temp sensor
  • rywas88rywas88 Member Posts: 1
    HELP!!!! I have a 95 1500 and i need some desperate advice/help. Last winter the torque converter started to act up but was drivable just didnt go over 70 mph. couple of weeks ago everything went wrong. Has no power coming off of a dead stop, and when you get up to 30 and try and go into overdrive the engine will rev up to 3500 but the truck doesnt have ANY boost in power. truck barely goes 15 mph and has trouble getting around the block. i heard the prob could be a sensor under the pan. ????? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

p.s the engine runs started to run like crap. it literally melted an egr valve in two weeks. poss. clogged cat converter or vacuum leak????
    I'm happy to hear you made it to FL and also happy to hear your transmission problems have been resolved. TPS replacement is next on my list of things to try....Speed sensor has already been replaced. My transmission isn't shifting from 2nd to 3rd once the tranny has warmed up unless I rev the RPM's up and quickly let off the gas.
    Hey Rambo, my friend had the same symptoms as you and he had the bell crank sensor replaced and all is well. Hope this helps.
  • lukester1lukester1 Member Posts: 3
    I have this model in 4X4 with the auto and tow package. I bought it new. It has 25k with the 36k warranty. It's a phantom problem as it has only occurred 5 times.

Problem: When it occurs, and only in reverse, it feels like a shutter - like I'm driving over a bunch of little speed bumps. Just returned from dealer and they said they could not reproduce concern. Ran diagnostics with no problems found.

It has done it to me cold and hot, when backing straight and backing while turning. It has only occurred in 2 wheel drive as it has seen very little 4X4 time.

I think it's a 45RFE trany. I thought it might be a servo not pulling in the reverse band but was told it doesn't have bands or drums like older trannies? Could it be an Anti-lock Brake problem?

Truck runs and shifts well otherwise. What should I tell my dealer? How can I help them find the problem?

Any help please.....Trying to fix under warranty or cover myself for after.
  • snpandersonsnpanderson Member Posts: 1
    I own a 95 2500 Dodge 4x4 diesel AT. The more I read everyones entries the more worried I become. 139K with 10K prof. rebuilt tranny. Feels like it is slipping in low gears, passes the rpm shift point so you have to back the fuel back down to catch a gear and finally in the morning when the truck is cold I back out of my parking spot and try to shift into any forward gear and the truck acts like it is in neutral ( if I let it sit for awhile and start it again-all of the sudden I shift it and it works fine). My warranty expired because of time elapsed. Local mechanics are willing to tear it apart for a price but nothing is ever solved.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This may not be your transmission at all, but instead your rear diff. Check that the fluid in the diff is the correct type and amount. If you have a limited slip, this will magnify the problem.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • ac9304ac9304 Member Posts: 1
    I just changed the trans fluid and filter on my 1500. when i dropped tha pan i saw that the last time someone did this they must have used a wire brush to clean off the old gasket and left deep groves on the rim of the pan. i smoothed it out and re installed the new gasket, filter and pan. i put the bolts through the pan, set the gasket on the bolts and the rings on top of the gasket. the next day my ram dumped trans fluid all over the ground. what did i do wrong?
    ac9304
  • gkeygkey Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road and the trans. just stopped pulling. I shut the truck down for about 5 minutes and it started pulling again for about 10 minutes or so. Same thing over and over. Is it the fluid and filter or something major?
  • moparornocar08moparornocar08 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a '99 Ram about two months ago, Quad Cab, 5.9, 4X4, leather, all the bells and whistles, and was owned by a state trooper. The motor is strong and everything feels mechanically solid except for one thing: when on the highway (about 60), the rpms will fluctuate about 100-200 rpms occasionally. It doesn't happen as often when the cruise is off, but it still sometimes occurs. The transmission was a quart low, but it was topped off with the correct fluid. I know this truck is a lot heavier than my old '84, and it only has a 3:55 rearend, but it's driven on mostly flat ground with occasional hills (that's where I can definitely feel the extra weight). I don't think that it is, but could it possibly be normal for this truck, especially when driving into moderate headwinds? Message #199 sounds like a good possible fix if there is something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If you scroll back and read my posts on this subject it may be yourTPS. That was my problem with the same symptoms as yours.
  • goldmalardgoldmalard Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have 2001 dodge 1500 2wd. Everytime I hit a nice bump the trany slips and recatches. The truck has 98000 miles and the trany oil has been changed every 30k miles. Any sujestions.
    Goldmalard
    Do you have any idea how long it could be before I start having some serious issues?
    Do you know if this method can be used on a regular Ram 1500?
  • ram2500ram2500 Member Posts: 3
    1999 5.9 diesel 2 WD quad cab with 140k automatic....redlines first gear and will not shift until throttle is released for a couple of seconds...then everything is fine...shifts to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and OD. This will continue 5 out of 6 times after a stop. Does not matter if engine is cold or normal temp...could be 40F or 80F outside temp.
    Tranny has been maintained with filter/fluid changes every 30 to 40K miles.
    New VSS with no change.
    Any ideas as I'm getting very frustrated.
  • qd1016qd1016 Member Posts: 1
    I have a dodge 2001 ram, and the rpms were racing from 2000 to 3000 at various speeds. I changed the front gear lube this morning and couldn't find any problems with the fluid. there is now a humming sound and the transmission seems to be slipping in reverse and forward. I checked the fluid and does not seemed to be burned? could this be a sensor? any advice?
  • amanwhocaresamanwhocares Member Posts: 5
    Since I bought the truck with 134000 miles it has had a upshift problem at about 35- 40 Mph. Either second to third or first to second. I was told the trans is a "46H".

For the most part it stops when the system warms up but it seems to be now slightly worse with colder weather or the passage of time.

Also the truck acts like it is fuel starved at times and wont go over 50 with backfire sounds from the engine. Some shudder too. After I stop and but more gas it seems to stop. Over all it does this only occasionally. I plan to inspect the fuel pump to see if ti has ever been replaced. I mention this all here only to add to the possibilities of trans problem.
  • pdrconstpdrconst Member Posts: 1
    One cad started rattling. Shortly thereafter the check engine light came on and the auto trans instantly started having long delays in shifting. It acted like a good shift kit had been put in it. Took it to the trans shop, they thought it ran great but noticed a little bubbling of fluid on the dipstick. Also noted the fluid was clean. Although I knew I had been neglectful of changing it and the filter. Shifting continued to get farther apart, now it is stuck in first gear. Does anyone know if there is a relation to the catalytic converter not functioning right, the computer knowing it and effecting the transmission. There was no apparent loss of power or slipage. Decided to change fluid and filter. Parts man handed me fluid called Dex/Merc. Now hesitates and slips going into first. Still doesn't shift, HELP
  • titanium29titanium29 Member Posts: 38
    Not sure if it directly goes to your immediate problem, but if you put Dex/Merc in your tranny instead of Mopar +3/+4 you will likely be buying a new tranny soon. I'd recommend a drain/refill with Mopar with haste!
    I recently had the speed control sensor and throttle control sensor replaced on my 1500, which has helped some but not totally eliminated the problem. My check engine light finally came on a year after they told me I needed a new transmission which provided them with a code related to the repairs.

After being told I needed a new transmission a year ago I drove the truck home and it shifted fine and also shifted fine the next day. I called the shop and told them to hold off on ordering a tranny. I proceeded to drive the truck without problem for about 6 months (made me think it was electrical). The problem returned and actually pointed them to a couple different sensors. I've also heard that there is a bell crank sensor that can cause similar problems.

Hope this helps some and good luck!
  • blake77520blake77520 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500.my rpm guage fluctuates while i am driving. when i hit a bump it seems as if it is going to die. i have done a throttle body cleaning. anyone have any suggestions what it could be?
  • muletrainermuletrainer Member Posts: 3
    First Automatic
    I have a 2007 dodge 3500 4x4, 4 door with my first and I think my last automatic Trans. I have 24000 mile I have had it in the shop in AZ at 13858 replace modules and solenoid pressure sensor etc ,then in Michigan 17681 this time full rebuilt now at 24000 miles I’m back in Az and heading back to Dodge . This time I ask for a new tranny or maybe I should get the 08 with the 6 spd auto I hear that truck and tranny are the best. Any body had problem with their tranny? Any suggestions? I drove my 72 ¾ ton 4x4 , 20 years I paid $4089.00 for the truck :lemon:
  • speedypaspeedypa Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to know if anyone knows anything on the tranmission for the 2007 dodge 1500..When u put the truck in reverse it makes a slight grinding noise before going into gear. I took it to the dealership and they said it was normal. Can anyone help me out with this and is this really normal?
  • ram2500ram2500 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Dusty,
    I would appreciate your help with #290. You are the 'main man' on these transmission issues. '
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • bwillardbwillard Member Posts: 10
    I hope your problem has a simple fix because my 2000 2500 has the same problem. monday, I am taking it to a friend that is a very honest transimission man. He seems to think it is a sensor like gov. sensor, or shift solenoid. But nothing major. (I hope). I will let you know what happens.
  • amanwhocaresamanwhocares Member Posts: 5
    I am begiinning to thinnk that the trans slips out of the drive gear (4th?) more and more and goes into a free wheel state not only anymore just when its cold.

Called dealer and was told its a 46RH trans. It is a four speed but when I drive it it does not sound like it upshifts three times.

Thanks for the responses and please continue with them as I have not heard one that sounds definitive yet.
  • muletrainermuletrainer Member Posts: 3
    hey pard my tans we complete rebuilt at 17681miles , I'm not sure what tranny it is ,I will find out monday unless some one out there knows . I'm thinking that Dodge needs to put a noter tranny in it sre should have lasted more thene 17000 miles .let me know how the tranny repair went . hey dusty can you help me ?