Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• woody20012woody20012 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 2wd with a 42RH transmission , i fried the overdrive section due to the lower cooler line check valve sticking and starving the overdrive unit for transmission fluid . when i replaced the overdrive unit with a used one i removed the transmission pan no brass or steel in the pan . cut out the one way check valve from the lower line. the problem i have is the transmission wont upshift from 1st to 2ed till 30-35 mph? 2-3 shift and overdrive are fine and runs fines at highway speeds . removed the transmission pan to adjust the bands and replace the rotted pan and found a lot of metal in the pan . assumed it was from one the lower line opened , adjusted the bands found3-4 acculaltor spring broken , replace and installed new filter and refilled with dextron 6. sometimes willstart in 2ed gear but very rarly . but still up shifting @30-35 mph
  • birch2birch2 Member Posts: 7
    tranny went out at about 100K, torque converter, pump and a bunch of other stuff was replaced by the dealership. A few months ago the rpms started to fluctuate in OD when going 60-70 mph or so. I replaced the TPS and for a while things were normal ( a few hundred miles). Then it started doing it again. I started looking for bad connectors etc. when I found one of the multi-wire connectors on the tranny had 3 wires with the insulation burned off. So it was off to the dealership again and $850 later a new wire harness and 2 solenoids were replaced. Well the truck STILL has the same rpm fluctuation when in OD. should note that it doesn't do it the entire time, it will come out of lockup for ~15-20 or so and then be okay. I talked to another tranny shop today and the tech mentioned that he had one do the same thing and it turned out to be the alternator was generating excessive electrical noise (regulator was going bad) and that this electrical noise was interfering with the computer. So ok I'll change that out in a couple of days and see if that makes a difference. I see that this problem isn't uncommon has anyone found the reason for this to happen? I've got $3500 into this tranny already and dont see an end in sight. I have to keep the truck for at least another year. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  • 1846618466 Member Posts: 46
    The truck sat for about a week and when I started it up it took about a minute for the truck to go into gear. It just sat there and drive would not engage. When it did engage it worked fine for about 15 miles then started slipping violently for about the next ten miles until I shut it off. When the truck started again it worked fine and I could not reproduce the slipping or the hesitation on startup. The truck did not set the check engine light and appears to be working good. What could be causing this? Could this be an electrical glitch? Any information would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.
  • dodge_guy_76dodge_guy_76 Member Posts: 2
    sounds like your trans has hard seals. When the trans gets cold your seals harden so its harder for the pistons to apply because hard seals move slow. once the trany warms up the seals soften then it becomes easier for the pistons to move. You probably will need to get trans rebuilt soon.
  • wferruzziwferruzzi Member Posts: 1
    Trans slip after a period of none use on a late model dodge can happen due to converter draining its fuild back into the transmission. The converter on these later dodges only fill in neutral and when in gear, which can make for some strange issues when getting back into your truck. First thing I would check after the vehicle reached normal operating temp is the Trans fluid level. Even a pint low can cause some problems. Make sure to use approved Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar trans fluid ATF+4. If you haven't changed the fluid in an extended period, say 15K, then that might be a problem. These newer fluids have all kinds of additives, which do not last long. Another problem I had that cause slipage was a bad solenoid valve switch. This switch attaches to the trans valve body. The switch on my 2002 Ram w/ 46RE went completely out and caused the trans to slip through first gear and then engage and take off in second gear. The only time this condition was noticeable was at a complete stop and take off.

Good Luck
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    trans temp sensor is built into the solenoid wiring harness inside the pan of the transmission changing it will require removal of the valvebody and purchase of a new solenoid assembly which consists of 2 solenoids on a rail the 3/4 solenoid and the tcc solenoid (lock up) i would not recommend trying to do this yourself as the parking mechanism can be a real brat to get back into place
    the transmission solenoid plug is on the drivers side of the trans just behind the shifter assembly and the solenoids are located on the valvebody inside of the pan the plug itself is black in color and is round and contains 8 pins
    i will post a pic of 46re valve body on my carspace page since i happen to have one right here :) hope it helps you out
    in the cooling system next to the radiator there is a spring loaded checkball in one of the cooling lines if that checkball is restricted it will kill all oilflow to the transmission normally we remove the line knock out the checkball and spring and then reinstall the clear line. if you do not do this at least buy the new line from chysler ive seen hundreds of trans failures caused by this restricted line
    EMI intereferance is an issue with the tps but you will find that the tps is inside of the injector pump on the deisel trucks big money item to repair and i suggest you look at the shop you have repair it closely because it normally cost 1500-1800 dollars to get it fixed
    this trans has had a problem with on of the valve body bolts breaking which could cause minor erratic problems in the unit
  • 1999ram1999ram Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4. It was running grate when i got it a few months ago.No it stalls on me when i come to a stop the rpm will drop and i have to hold the gas pedal to kweep it running. but the truck will run find as long as it not moveing.I have replaced the map, iac valve, and tpc. and that dint help at all and i do not hear any vac leaks. can this be a trans problem? Oh and the truck will jerk at 50mph in over drive,but if i take it out of overdrive it will not do it..but will still stall on me when i aply the bracks to stop.. :(
    first you need to have your truck scanned it will most likely come back with some form of torque converter clutch codes some where like p0740 series or p1700 series codes you are describing a torque converter problem to me either the tcc solenoid is stuck on or your torque converter is staying locked up which will cause the stalling problem if you need more info check out my carspace page more help from me is available
    if you are correct with your transmission identification you have a governer controlled transmission and if you found a large amount of debries in your pan then the governer valve is stuck from debris floating around in your transmission fluid the governer is located in the rear of the o/d unit and can be removed fairly easily. if your still in need of help send me a message from my carspace page
    try checking tcc operation if the torque converter clutch is not hold a 200-300 rpm difference will be noticed altho you have replaced the tcc solenoid when you did the wiring harness the torque converter itself may have taken damage when the wiring harness fried and on a side thought if you feel you have to pay dealership prices for transmission repair you are getting your wallet bent over find a reputable trans shop near you to do the work. save you about 50 % cost of repairs
  • kentishmankentishman Member Posts: 1
    My '07 ram 2500 diesel (11k miles) does not shift smoothly at slow speed (20-25mph). It's more noticeable when cold and can't seem to decide if it should be in 2nd or 3rd.

I thought shifting to 2nd might resolve the problem, but it tends to jerk back on decelaration every 2-3 seconds, again at slow speeds.

I also noticed a vibration when pulling a trailer (5000lbs). At first I thought it was the brakes, but without touching the brake pedal, I feel the vibration right before it down-shifts to 2nd. This is in the tow/haul mode.

Seems like all three problems might be related.

Are these problems normal? Last time I took it to the dealer they said it's known software problem that they are waiting on a fix for.
  • birch2birch2 Member Posts: 7
    Get this..brought the truck in to the dealer and they drove it around off and on for a couple of days and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Well anyway i went in and paid my $56 joy ride fee and now its only done it once or twice for just a short time. The last couple of days it hasn't done it at all? Maybe some left over crap that is finally working its way out after the original rebuild? Connector issue? Well what ever it is I think I'll just let it develop for a while. Thanks for the reply fordfan that could very well be the culprit.
  • dodmandodman Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks any advice please i have a 2003 ram dually 350 4x4 pick up she has been parked up for 7 months as ive been away and i started her up but cant shift from park to drive,any help please would be appreciated,thanks.
    sounds like the shiftlock solenoid may be hanging up if you cant get the truck out of park this switch works off of the brake pedal in tandem with brake lights. if you get down and push the brake pedal with your hand keep your head close to the column you should hear a faint click just as you barely move the brake pedal try it a cpl times if you dont hear it suspect a hung up or faulty shift interlock solenoid failing
  • hayescomputershayescomputers Member Posts: 1
    After driving for approx. 25 miles, the OD off light will come on. About 5 miles later, the trans temp light comes on. What could be causing this? Would appreciate any help. Thanks
  • dodmandodman Member Posts: 2
    thanks for that fordan 17 are give that a go any idea where that is located and what it look's like ? and is there a way of getting it out of park till i can get a new part ,thanks.
    have the vehicle scanned and post codes please and you might want to read my blog concerning dodge 46re transmissions on my page too good info for you
    unfortunately not without dis-assembling the column you might try replacing the brake switch first to see if the microswitch has failed but dont want to direct you to replace parts...you can normally feel/hear the microswitch work
  • xpwilsonxpwilson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge 1500 that needs a new transmission. I have read a few posts that recommend just going with a 3rd party transmission instead of a rebuild or replacement from Dodge. Does any one have any good recommendations on a good aftermarket transmission that will keep me from having to replace another transmission 30k miles down the road?
  • fgthfgth Member Posts: 2
    Thanks fordfan_17,

Well I wanted to let those that may be interested of the problem resolution.
    I am Sending this out as information just so anyone with the same problem has something to go on. I have a 2003 3/4 ton Cummins diesel not sure of the transmission type. I had noticed that I had too high rpm and it was not going into O/D and CC was not working. After a few visits to the dealership they found:
    No codes that there is a problem Scan JTEC and seen that TPS was bobbling from 5 volts to 2.6 volts while driving. Ordered PCM and wiring harness. PCM had some corrosion and trans harness corrosion in JTEC connector. Replaced PCM and Trans wiring harness. Replaced neutral Safety switch due leaking oil out and into wiring connector. Road test trans shifting and CC working as designed.

I wrote all this as it was written on the Dealership report. This was all covered under an emissions warranty. There was a recall on some seals about 3 years ago that related the wiring and during that replacement corrosion may have been reintroduced. I have found a lot of good information on these sites in the past so hope this may help someone.
    most shops are pretty competent with 46RE transmissions just a couple of suggestions for you so that you make sure you dont have a premature failure after you have it rebuilt
    1# new governer pressure solenoid
    2# new governer pressure sensor
    3# Insist they replace the pressure regulator valve with line to lube sonnax valve
    4# insist they replace manual valve with line to lube valve
    #5# MOST IMPORTANTLY removal of the checkball and spring from the cooling line at the radiator failure to do this could result in a failure in just a matter of days leaving you on the roadside with your geartrain lying in the bottom of your trans's pan if your towing consider having an aux cooler installed also

Information on the above listed valves can be found at www.sonnax.com transmission id= 46RE
  • ok25705ok25705 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like DODGE should have recalled all their vehicles with this check valve to fix this. I am amazed that thousands of trucks have had transmissions go bad due to a simple fix not being mandated by the manufacturer. Will they ever figure out what good service is all about? :lemon:
  • palmerppalmerp Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same problem. I got the fuel pump change. Now I am looking at changing the torque converter. I had the transmission serviced but I am still having the same problem. If I change the torque converter will the problem go away or do I need to change the transmission.
    just changing the torque MAY resolve your problem it would depend on the amount of debris found in the pan.. I know a lot of companies "PREACH" flushing the transmission. as a transmission rebuilder I "personally" do not recommend this procedure simply because the pan is not dropped for a visual inspection for debris AND filter change. just my opinion but flushing trans is more bad than good. also get the checkball out of the cooling system.
  • art28art28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 3500 v6 turbo disel and I'm stuck in first until the engine warms. I have replaced the fluid and filter with correctly. Seemed to help in the begining but not anymore. Once the engine warms the transmission works fine. I read alot of these posts and I havent seen one concerning this. Anyone know what the problem might be?
    take to a trans shop that does free roadtest and diagnosis have them scan your vehicle WATCHING live data specifically governer pressure sensor and governer pressure solenoid. most common problem with this trans is these 2 items and they can be replaced from the pan hope this helps
  • sammytorchsammytorch Member Posts: 6
    This site has been great, Thank You!

I have a 2001 1500 4X2 with 5.9(360) \ 46RE. It began shifting erratically the other day (sometimes it shifts fine, other times it refuses to shift out of 2nd gear). Before this happened I knew that I had to replace a failing neutral safety switch because there was trans fluid leaking from it. I took it to the shop, there were no engine codes but the mechanic told me that during a road test when the trans failed the Gov Pressure was reading 5psi and he said that it should have been between 45-50psi. They suspected the governor solenoid and governor pressure sensor. They quoted me $600 but after reading these posts I figured I can do it myself for a third of that price. I dropped the pan and looked inside - only problem is I have no idea if the deposits that I am seeing are normal for 140k miles or if it is terrible and I should not waste any more money trying to repair it (the gasket was in pieces so I do not think the fluid has been changed in a while, if ever). If anyone out there could take a look at these photos of the pan and share you expertise it would be greatly appreciated.

photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26364642@N05/
    with that amount of debris in the pan you might want to consider an overhaul most of that will be converter metal so make sure the torque gets replaced

Gene
  • judge04judge04 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 ram2500hdw/tow had the trans cooler fail and somehow resulted in coolant and trans oil combining. After a suggested $7,500 rad. to trans job by the dealer, I had the cooler as assembly w/lines replaced . On day 2 after the job and trans flush, the trans wont leave 1st & 2nd easy revving to 2700or more first. Where and how did these fluids meet and why now am I having shifting problems? Also there is a "customer satisfaction notice c44" on the cooler&trans w/97,000 covered, but I cannot get the cooler only part # from dodge. What next?
  • dscheibsdscheibs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 02 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab P/U and I'm getting a vibration underneath the truck when i reach 35 mph. The vibration seems to lessen at higher speeds but its still there. I noticed that it gets worse when going up inclines. If i take my foot off the gas. the vibration goes away and comes back as soon as i step on the gas. I had a wheel alignment done, thinking this was the problem. But the vibration is still there. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
    Thanks
    Doug
    check universal joints and differentials for noises also wheel bearings and transfer case if applicable then on to the transmission if you dont find your noise
  • ruhrohruhroh Member Posts: 1
    I appologize if this problem has already been posted - I searched but couldn't find my situation.

2006 5.7 Hemi with about 60,000 miles. Two problems:

1) Tranny shifts into OD when I take my foot off the gas and will stay there - down to around 20-25mph or until I push the gas.

2) When accelerating from OD, the tranny makes a shuddering/vibration sound. It sounded to me like the heat shield on the exhaust.

I've taken it to AAMCO - they found no errors on the diagnostic machine. They suggested the first problem may be that the tranny is going into lock-up which may be a result of an on-board computer problem. They said the computer needs to be flashed.

They also said the shuddering/vibration is clutch chatter but offered no fix for this problem.

Any ideas from other Dodge owners? I'm out of warranty for replacement.....
  • sieg_37sieg_37 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Dodge Ram 2500 year 2005 diesel 4 X 4 automatic transmission.

My pickup stopped shifting and remained stucked in the first gear. in the beginning it would occasionaly jump to the next gear and then shift normally up to the other's. I had it scanned and was recommended to change the output shaft sensor which we did today, but the problem remained the same it is not shifting at all no more

Does anyone have an answer, suggestion on this issue?
    change the governer pressure solenoid and governer pressure sensor in the transmission these two items can be changed by just about any trans shop and requires only a pan drop 13mm bolts 4 11mm bolts on the gov pressure housing and 2 #25 torx bolts its a faily easy operation and will also give you a chance to see whats in your pan as far as any debris not to mention that these two item control ALL shift aspects of the trans
  • willyraywillyray Member Posts: 1
    When the engine is cold, and I put it in drive and drive off, up to 30-35mph, the tranny slips before going into 2nd gear. Once the engine is warm, there is no problem. Also, when the engine is cold and I put it in reverse and back out and then into drive, there is no slipping. Any suggestions is appreciated. I was thinking maybe there isn't enough fluid being circulated during this time.
  • redmor67redmor67 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here, and I need help with some questions on my "95" Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9. I have trouble with my transmission, I don't have reverse. Can this get fixed by rebuilding the tranny, and fixing the bands or am I going to have to replace the whole tranny? And another ? does any other tranny interchange with this truck, I was told only one tranny will fit . is this true?
  • sieg_37sieg_37 Member Posts: 2
    I am having problem with my transmission it wont shift out of the first gear. I had it scanned ant it came up with the following code:

P0720 Output shaft speed sensor circuit. and also

OD Park, Neutral, Drive, Low Switch Circuit High 61 passenger Door lock / Unlock switch Input Circuit high. DTC Ignition Run/ Start Circuit Rationality

Kindly what are your recommendations based on the above codes?
  • hondarc51hondarc51 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a 99 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 with 46k 3 years ago. over those years i have towed motorcycles, furniture, nothing over the weight limit. just around april the rear transfer cased cracked. i replaced that and u-joints. about 2 weeks later the front case cracked. so i rebuilt the whole case and replaced the tranny mount and checked the motor mount. after all that when im taking off, i hear a grinding noise from my flex plate area. going down the road i would here it, but mostly when i take off. here i go, taking the dust cover off the tranny checking for broken or missing bolts. everything is there and good shape. i leave this morning (5-19-08) come to a stop sign, with no sign, i dont have drive, reverse, and it really grinds when putting in park. i am lost for words after all this time. i am close to 99k miles now. can some tell me if the torque converter is gone, which would be an easy replacement. :mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • dscheibsdscheibs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Fordfan_17,
    The problem was the Universal joints.
  • sammytorchsammytorch Member Posts: 6
    I replaced the pressure sensor and solenoid and changed the filter and fluid - this fixed the upshift problem. But there still are some odd behaviors - the 2-3 upshift happens in two distinct phases it starts to upshift at 30 mph (the rpm's drop to about 1800) then the rpm's climb until 34 mph when it appears to complete the shift and the rpms drop to @ 1500. Also, it does not appear to shift at all in wide open throttle - the rpm's will climb to nearly 4000 from 0-50 mph??? Any ideas about what is going on with these two things.
  • riley11riley11 Member Posts: 1
    Help in Tennessee...
    In the past 3 weeks my truck has been shifting gears really hard.
    Only going up hills...
    When it wants to shift down when going a a hill it clunks really hard.
    Only going up hills.
    Flat land no problems.
    Changed trans fluid about 25,000 miles ago.

Any ideas out there???

Thanks....
    try adjusting the band its located just in front of the shifter assembly takes a 3/4 wrench to loosen locknut and 5/16 wrench to adjust the band strut turn the band strut inwards till snug and then back off 1 3/4 turns and lock down the lock nut again being sure not to let the band adjusting screw turn while you tighten locknut these units also have a habit of wearing down the front band in the transmission
    sounds like the trans is running high line pressure have your truck scanned at a local trans shop specifically for governer pressure sensor and solenoid operation its a normal problem and a fairly reasonable trans repair these 2 item have a high failure rate
  • flandersederflanderseder Member Posts: 5
    hey everyone i'm new to this forum but here it goes ... i bought a very nice 01 ram 1500 with jus under 70k miles bout 4 1/2 months ago everything worked great then. but with in the last month i developed the same slipping or jerking problem while driving in cruise. it started out where in did it only at around 70 mph... but now it does it ne where from 40-70mph. i've been baby'n this thing cuz i paid 20k for it and i've never towed or gone offroad with it at all. i need help bad cuz it's my only driver and i don't wanna be stranded. i was wondering (since i don't have much time to read through all the forums) if you guys could help me out at all. if it is to late or bad i will get a new tranny but i was gunna go with aftermarket so this doesn't happen again. i was wondering if you guys had ne websites i could go to that would have parts such as a tranny that would fit right in and be aftermarket.

thanks lots
    sounds like you may have a torque converter issue take your truck to a trans shop that does free road tests and diagnosis and have TCC operation checked