Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• stanton98stanton98 Member Posts: 4
    I Have a 1998 dodge 2500 with a diesel in it and automatic transmission. It has only 75,000 miles I just rebuilt the transmission everything went well the old clutches were very worn. I put it all back together and in the truck and now i have no reverse and it drives in all the other gears including neutral. It acts like it wants to back up but nothing. Does anybody have any idea what i did wrong when i put it back in. Is it just a linkage or something else simple i hope, maybe electrical, any suggestions will be welcomed. Anyone Please Help Me.
  • dodgedude1dodgedude1 Member Posts: 1
    i had a similar shifting problem on my grand cherokee. I think you need a transmission output shaft speed sensor. Easy to find and change its on the driver side of the tranny just behind the housing. The sensor for my 42re tranny cost $16.99 at autozone, part code SU1038. It should be the same for u cause the trannys are almost identical but check with the dealership first to get the right one.
  • garfieldshomegarfieldshome Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have the following problem:
    in line at drive thru, put in park, then moved on in drive, put pack in park, tried to move into drive, nothing, except car now goes backwards, tried to put it in any other gear, no luck, still going backwards. After a while of flipping thru gears and nothing except going backwards, I turned the engine off and two guys helped push car out of drive thru. the gear is in rear, the shift part on the steering wheel is movable in every gear and shows then which one, but it won't shift, instead it stays in rear.
    Now, since truck is in reverse stuck, it won't start because it's not in park or neutral. I didn't have any problems before like :confuse: the tranny shifting not smoothly. Could it be the gearshifter in the steering wheel or tranny? any other ideas? What am I looking at spending approximatley?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I've seen this happen twice. Unless you've got some bad wiring in the shift solenoid pack, I would suspect a damaged or binding Shift Cable. Depending on the transmission, you might also have a bad Shift Selector Switch.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • garfieldshomegarfieldshome Member Posts: 2
    ok, we hand-shifted under the hood in park, the truck starts, we can put it in drive or rear or whatever by shifting under the open hood (right where the shifting thing comes out from the inside of the car), so somewhere in between there and the steering wheel it's broken.
    any ideas??? :sick:
    Yeah. The shift cable is probably bound up or maybe even broken. Your problem is in the steering column.

WARNING: Before you attempt any diagnois or repair, disconnect the battery to prevent an unintentional air bag deployment.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • mjb96mjb96 Member Posts: 3
    After driving on the highway, when i come to a stop the check engine light comes on and it feels like the trans wont shift into first gear. The truck will barely move and it sounds like its sucking air. i will let it sit over night and it will be fine. I had the trans rebuilt, but it is still doing it. It seems to do it more when hot out. Pls help.
    MJB,

When you submit a question to the forum it is helpful if you give us the year, engine, 2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive, mileage, and other pertinent equipment. In this case we specifically need to know the engine and mileage.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Sorry about that. Its an 2002 Ram 1500 Sport. 68000 miles 4.7L 4-wheel drive
  • johndimartinojohndimartino Member Posts: 3
    Do yourself a favor,and go to Dieseltrans.com or call DTT at 866-504-4002 and ask for a TPS noise filter.They are 67.00,and this will solve your problem in 99% of the cases. I have delt with this many times,also an APPS reset will temporaily cure it,but it will be back.to do an APPS reset,remove both neg battery terminals,and wait 5 minutes,reconnect,and turn key to run,but do not start engine,with key on,engine off still,press throttle to floor 3x in 5 seconds,turn off key,and repeat 2 more times,you have now reset the APPS sensor,and its range.Now start the engine,and go try it,it may last for weeks without hunting,maybe only a few days,but either way the truck will run better after a reset,you have nothing to lose but 10 minutes of time.Good luck
  • johndimartinojohndimartino Member Posts: 3
    Stanton,does park hold on a downhill? Go try it,and see,once you know,let me know,and I will go from there.
  • leo_gal67leo_gal67 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all out there,
    I own a 1999 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 diesel with a automatic transmission with 83,000 miles which I own it since it had 56,000 miles. My problems started a few days ago after driving home from work,the truck seem like it was starting out of second gear so I drove it for about 5miles until I got home and parked it. I got up next am to go to work and the truck would not engage out of first gear top speed I could reach was about 25miles at 2200 RPM, had no choice but to get to work so when I arrive I parked it for 8hrs.So at the end of the day when I was driving home I had the same issue for the first 3 miles of my drive home then all of a sudden the truck was shifting and driving normally. So this am the truck is still driving and shifty normally. Do I need to change the fluid and if I change the fluid at 83,000 mile is there a chance the main transmission seal will leak??? Can some one please help me. Is this something I can handle.
    Yes, My truck holds in park and in reverse on a downhill. From neutral down through all the drive gears it drive forward.
    Thank you,
    Stanton
    Yes, Changing the tranny fluid and filter should be no problem and you will not go any were near any seals besides the tranny pan seal which you'll get a new seal when you buy the filter which is only held in by two bolts.
    I have a 2002 Ram 1500 Sport 4-wheel drive with a 4.7L. After driving on the highway, when i come to a stop the check engine light comes on and it feels like the trans wont shift into first gear. The truck will barely move and it sounds like its sucking air. i will let it sit over night and it will be fine. I had the trans rebuilt, but it is still doing it. It seems to do it more when hot out. Pls help.
  • mpkockempkocke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with an automatic transmission. It will not shift gears unless I let off of the gas completely. Is there anything that I can do to solve this probles?
  • snowbanditsnowbandit Member Posts: 2
    Check engine lamp came on a couple of days ago. Took the truck to the dealer for a diagnosis immediately. They reported a P1740 transmission code. I have not had any problems with the transmission EVER. The truck has 60k miles and fluids have been flushed at all the service intervals. Transmission fluid is a nice pink (no froth and no burned smell). Is there any other checks that can isolate the problem further? They reccommend a torque converter replacement and front pump at a minimum. Could the computer be wrong?
  • snowbanditsnowbandit Member Posts: 2
    Check engine lamp came on a couple of days ago. Took the truck to the dealer for a diagnosis immediately. They reported a P1740 transmission code. I have not had any problems with the transmission EVER. The truck has 60k miles and fluids have been flushed at all the service intervals. Transmission fluid is a nice pink (no froth and no burned smell). Is there any other checks that can isolate the problem further? They reccommend a torque converter replacement and front pump at a minimum. Could the computer be wrong?
    Anyone have this occur?
    Thanks, Snowbandit
  • howie012howie012 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with the torque convertor on my transmission my dodge mechanic changed the electronic speed sensor in the gas pedal but this did not fix the problem he says he's going to test the torque convertor to see if it is faulty he thinks it is going in and out of lock up. lately I find when when I'm going up a hill or passing it doesn't want to go back into overdrive it's like it stays in a higher gear and when you punch the gas pedal a few times it finally shifts for you. Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem? There has been no engine light come on. I have only 500kms of warranty left and don't want drive till it's fixed under warranty.
  • samsrsamsr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 2500 diesel auto. For quite a while now it has been having a problem down shifting. It seems as if While going 50 mph and you place the pedal on the floor causing a forced down shift that the trans wants to down shift two gears instead of one. Any clues. Down shift cable adjust?
    Also while just driving around, the trans seems to not like to shift out of 3rd gear or maybe just spending too long in third gear. The truck just does not seem to want to accelerate very fast until it reaches 4th. after it hits overdrive hang on, because she runs great.
    A little history on this truck/trans 137000 miles and am on the third trans. First was installed by Dodge, under warranty, at about 50,000. the second was installed at about 80,000 miles and now I am thinking this one is on its way out. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 1macdaddy1macdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the transmission at 206000 miles, the truck now has 258000 miles and I am having problems. I had the truck parked on a hill and noticed that some transmission fluid had leaked out. I put in dextron transmission fluid and have found out that this is the wrong transmission fluid. After having used this trans fluid it seems to have had problems ever since. sometimes i cant get it to even move unless i use four wheel drive but other times it will move ok. I havent drove it on the street in over two years because it is not changing gears. Any suggestions?
    Mike
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    As a previous owner of a 1996 3500 diesel, I can tell you that you will likely need either a rebuild or another new transmission. Dexron fluid can be fatal to Chrysler automatics. The initial leak means you likely lost a seal somewhere, and that should have been checked out before you topped off (albeit with the wrong fluid).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • tmaiertmaier Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 2500 Cummins, it does the very same thing yours does? did you find an answer? Ive got 215000 miles

Thanks
  • jct43jct43 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, we replaced the govenor pressure solenoid, and the governor pressure sensor. It fixed the problem.
  • bbostonbboston Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Ram 2500 with the 24v 5.9l Cumins Turbo Auto trans 47RE I think
    After warming the truck up for 15-20 minutes, the truck feels like the tranny is slipping as I drive away. After drive about a block or two that stops. The probem started with that. Thought fluid was low, but was clean and full. Now the trans doesn't want to shift out of second, unless I let off the throttle, and put the truck in neutral. When I put it back in drive it shifts fine until I stop and start, then I have to repeat the process. No check engine, or check transmision lights.
    Please Help!
  • brunswick300brunswick300 Member Posts: 1
    Had trans just rebuilt from ground up, still having same problem? Shifts fine for around first 10 min then as it warms up in starts going in and out of o/d. Added external trans cooler and took out check valve and still have problem. Trans goes in and out of o/d several times on a 35 mile trip and truck struggles to pull any hill when this happens. Any help would be appreciated. Also eng light is also on.
  • gotterdone4ugotterdone4u Member Posts: 1
    my tranny broke the lock ring on the reverse clutch pack. Has anybody else had that problem & if so was there a recall on it?The foward gears work great. Just lost reverse, I drop the pan & found pices of the lock ring in it.
  • rwoodard1rwoodard1 Member Posts: 1
    New to site. 113,000 miles on my auto tranny with tow package and no problems, with regular fluid changes and no loads being pulled, yet this week the rpm would erratically kick a few 100 up then right back to normal while going 40 mph+. Found this occurred often while hitting bumps. Turned off O/D and drove in normal 3rd and shifting OK, though over the past few weeks it has appeared to be slower on the shifting. It's always had a loud hum in the transmission when backing up on an incline (ok in flat parking lots), so I wonder if this was already a sign of problems. Runs 1500 rpm at 50-55 mph, no load. Does this sound like a PCM, sensor, or mechanical issue?.
  • rchavisrchavis Member Posts: 1
    You might have heard of this before but here goes:
    I have a 95 Dodge 1500 truck. It has a 5.2 engine. I just bought it and have a trans problem.
    1st: it will not go back into 1st gear when I stop sometimes. If I drop it in low gear and back to drive it will take off ok. If not it will start off in second gear.
    2nd: It lost overdrive today. Light on the od switch comes on but it will not shift.

If anyone has had this problem and knows of a fix please let me know..

thanks Randy
  • gofastdkgofastdk Member Posts: 1
    couple days ago, when i needed the trans to kick down it did not respond right away. shorty after on the next shift up it did not want to shift out of 3rd gear. the truck runs fine but seems to act up when i have to down shift. also note it has 170,000 miles on it with the original trans and motor. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Have had it since new.
  • pdr1pdr1 Member Posts: 1
    hi well i guess i am not alone on this one. been reading the forums for some time now and haved used some of the input to attemp to cure this problem including changing three of the sensers in the pan and the thottle possion senser on the manafold. the fluid always apperd to be clean and used atf4+. got pretty discouraged. it sat 6 mounths. one day i had to move it out of the drive way it moved and i kept driving it seemed to be shifting ok. but at a stop it would rev up then slam into gear same with reverse. i noticed whent tryed to kick it down it did it but didnt have the old get up go it had before. possably slipping? didnt seem to over rev. talked to two trans shops there trying to leed me in to get it tested with posabble easy fixs. my question is there computer capable of singling out a spacific problem or does it just point toward the trans and at my expense play the trail and error game . both shops said worst case a rebuild at $3800 to$4100 eny help would be great thanks. PS IT HAS 102000 MILES
  • florida701florida701 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ram and yesterday i was turning onto another road in drive and when i gave it gas it didnt go anywhere but if i put it in 1st and shift up in to 2 and drive as i go it will go into those gears but now its shaking real bad and my engine light came on. and its never done this before.any ideas on what could be causing this.
    i would appreciate any suggestions.
  • plumberpopplumberpop Member Posts: 1
    I have drive and it shifts great in all the forward gears but when i put it R / N / and park it wants to pull forward but when i shut the truck off and just turn the key forward with the truck off the truck will roll back in N but when the truck is started it stops.I changed the filter and the atf4 fluid with no change. this day and age there is no $ for a new trans any help would be great.
  • gquandelgquandel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. my transmission problem is two-fold:

1. First issue is when I make LEFT hand turns (ONLY LEFT) my tranny pops out of gear and engine tak's out. I have to let off the gas and straighten out for it to get back in.

2. During moderate to heavy rains no matter which direction my travel, my tranny does the exact same thing...no matter how fast i am going.

I don't have any broken engine or tranny mounts. Fluids are ok.

HELP~ any suggestions???
  • cmeadowscmeadows Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel with the 48RE automatic transmission. The transmission gears seem to shift very close together and at times wants to shift very hard. Does any one know what might be the problem?
  • rjtrucksrjtrucks Member Posts: 1
    what did you find was wrong with your transmission or? i am having the same problem with my 1995 Dodge Dually over drive shifting in and out.PLEASE HELP.
  • beef11d7beef11d7 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 02 2500 the trans will not go into park and seems to shift to a lower gear on a hill i disconnected the linkage and sill will not go into park
  • cmeadowscmeadows Member Posts: 5
    I have receintly talked to our local Dodge Ram Service Tech about my transmission shifting hard and he said this is common with the diesels.
    It dosen't mean there is anything wrong with the transmission. He says the 48RE are heavy duty transmissions and they will not slip like a gas truck transmission and will give you the impression they are shifting hard.
    Thanks for your comments.
  • thetypezerothetypezero Member Posts: 1
    had exhaust tottaly redone. magnaflow high flow catalytic converter with down tubes. After driving it for a while i noticed my truck was running a bit warm parked it for about 30 minutes and i had to leave again. went to go in drive i got nothing no first gear no second no overdrive but reverse works fine. parked it. 3 hours later i decided to see if i can move .it drove fine. i noticed the downtubes are closer to the transmission then the stock ones were. and my radiator was hot i could feel the heat off it. have a new radiator and a new thermostat new hoses so im suspecting the downtubes are just adding extra heat. im installing a deeper transmission pan and a tru-cool transmission cooler rated up to 45,000 pounds and i am bypassing the radiator and just running the cooler do you think this will fix the problem? cause i can drive it right now until it starts to warm up and itll act up again. Transmission Rebuilt 2-3 years ago been running fine till i got the truck out of the muffler shop and took it home
  • ramman5ramman5 Member Posts: 2
    ;) I lost the clutch on a 2005 Ram 2500 at 55,000 miles. The dealer first replaced the hydraulics and no change so they said the pressure plate had collapsed. No marks of abuse, overheating, checking or excessive wear. Clutch plate is over 60%.
    Replaced clutch, pressure plate and bearings now the clutch pedal seems to be one third of the effort to press in. I am attempting to force Dodge to admit a defective pressure plate but as everyone knows I am fighting a brick wall! Any help or ideas will be a major asset in my battle!
  • oryxmanoryxman Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 1995 dodge 2500 diesel and it will not shift into overdrive? They replaced a overdrive selonoid still wont shift. Has anyone had this prob and what do you think it may be? Please help

Rob
    las cruces
  • oryxmanoryxman Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to tell you this truck has 238000 miles and has had the tranny rebuilt 1 year ago.It shifts great into 1 st 2nd and 3rd but when it comes to overdrive it just keeps building rpm. even by letting off the pedal a little it still wont shift.
    Any help would be great
  • makinjamakinja Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my -06 cummins ram with 95000 miles blew out tiny hose between tubes which come from tranny to cooler and oil come to road. I notice it when the clucth starts to slip? I fix the hose and add oil but now it doesnt go to overdrive, just like oryxman tell above. Does it have some serious broblems?
    Thanks for great forum
  • ff6196ff6196 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 cummins ram and it only goes into low at a stop if you manually shift it there?? and at about 40 mph light throttle it can't decide,, it shifts up and down. Stopped a checkers and scanned,, no code.

I am 2800 miles from home and any help would be great, thanks
  • dojynndojynn Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 Dually 3500 5.9l I-6 w/ auto trans. When i am stopped at a light i need to apply extra brake pressure as the truck wants to go forward. As i release the brake ( no trottle applied the truck revs for a second and then seems to be normal. Same thing happens when i am stopped in drive, 2nd, 1st, or rev. When i shift from any gear to neutral ( while stopped) the truck revs increas to about 1800 rpm for a second then returns to normal rpm ( this is with out any throttle applied). When i shift back to any gear it wants to go again and i need to stand on the breaks. I need to get this resolved before it snows or i can't see it being safe to drive this vehicle. Any thoughts as to what it might be before i take it in?

On a side note, the trans. was just serviced last month, flushed and bands adjusted.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • cstarrcstarr Member Posts: 1
    2002 Ram 1500 4X4-

A few months ago noticed that intermittenly, taking off from a stop, not shifted down into low gear. Changed fluid and filter when it become more common problem. That seamed to solve it for about a month then it began happening again. Now most of the time.

Truck runs great if manually shifted from low. Fluid is still clean and no other problems with transmission (no slipping) or motor. Took to shop for code read and no motor or transmission codes. They suggested two possibilities: 1 electronics need replaced and 2 the catalytic converter might be stopped up (two different guys suggested this). Before I get going on something, has anyone had this problem and/or suggestion/experience on fixing it?

Thanks!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I have the exact same truck... and I've not experienced this at all. If this started after the transmission service, then something was not done correctly, or the system as not tested after they buttoned everything back up.

Check to see if you have any trouble codes: with the engine off, cycle the ignition key like this On (not Start)-Off-On-Off-On - then watch your odometer for codes. I'm guessing a sensor is out of whack.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • nukeemnukeem Member Posts: 2
    Hi, First time posting here (great info everywhere too), but I still have some questions. OK, Picked up another Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9(360) automatic w/OD for $1,000 yesterday. Anyway, the truck does absolutely nothing when shifted into reverse but runs and shifts good though all 4 forward gears with a little slippage when accelerating hard in first gear only. The truck has 189,000 miles and suspect its just worn out but will start going through things today. Any suggestions on what to do? Fuild/filter change? Additives? I have always drove Dodge trucks since the mid 80s and all are manual trannys, this is my first automatic. Is it cheaper to get a rebuilt tranny or rebuild/have rebuilt?

The owner said it it will not go into 4X4 mode, read up on the actuator so will be checking that today also. Is it possible that no reverse and no 4X4 are both a bad vacuum problem and related?

It also has a check engine light on so I will get that code read out today too. Idle is a little rough but smooth power under acceleration.

Sorry for all the question, Thanks for any help!
    Gary (retired USAF)
  • dbark10809dbark10809 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my transmission has been slipping when cold, when going into low, when just starting from a stop with the brake on, after driving 10 minutes everything is fine. Also if I put it into park at stop sign, then put into drive it runs fine. It feels like what ever is supposed to let you idle with the brake on while in drive is not working when the truck is cold. Any suggestions?