Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• jb97ramjb97ram Member Posts: 2
    Hello ,I recently started noticing shifting problems on my 97' ram, mainly when i'm going up a incline or trying to accelerate quickly like getting onto interstate. The motor is 318 with 184,000 miles, with an automatic, could the fluid and filter cause this to happen only at certain times.Other than this the truck drives great, and it shifts fine like in the neighborhood or on local roads, when i can gradually get up speed or on flat roads. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  • 95_ram_150095_ram_1500 Member Posts: 2
    From a stop my tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd smooth. From 2nd to 3rd I will not shift unless I release the gas and wait from the rpm's to drop. At that point it engages itself into 4th and OD. As long as I keeping moving it seems to shift through the different gears at different speeds fine. It's when I stop, it resets to this procedure of letting off the gas to get it to shift. ALSO.... It will not engage reverse unless I put it in neutral rev to about 3100 rpm and then shift into reverse as I'm letting off the gas. I have to do this because if I leave it in reverse while I rev up, the tranny slamms in gear Hard. Ive had this problem for years. The thing is... in the hot summer months this problem hardly never happens. In the winter it's everytime. I'm can't figure out what it is. I changed my tranny fluid (from dropping the pan) and replaced my filter. It's a super clean truck and I would love to fix it and continue driving it. Any expert advice?
  • marcusjoebmarcusjoeb Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same problem but mine is a 96 dodge ram 1500. Have you found the problem with it yet? if so please let me know. i have not had this truck long love it,

please help :cry:
  • marcusjoebmarcusjoeb Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 dodge ram 1500 now the transmission. When i take off it shifts fine except between 2 and 3rd gear, i have to release the gas and go again to get it to shift, then all's fine, please someone know whats wrong and help me.
  • 95_ram_150095_ram_1500 Member Posts: 2
    marcusjoeb
    I'm thinking it might be the tranny cooler in the front of the truck. Maybe it's clogged up slowing up the flow of the fluid. That could explain why the winter time is alot worse because maybe because of a thin flow, it actually cools the tranny fluid way to low. What do you think. I know they make a tranny line flush in a can for about 10 bucks. Does your truck get worse in the winter and better in the summer?
  • kch1111kch1111 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 ram 5.2 auto. I was arrested and the cops towed the vehicle to their yard. When I went and got it back It wouldn't shift out of first gear until 3 to 4 grand unless I let off the gas. I took it to be checked with a free scan deal at aamco and they said it's neutralling out in second and going from first to third and I needed a tranny. It worked perfect prior to them towing it and it works fine besides not shifting out of first correctly. When I'm on the freeway it's perfectly fine. I just want to know if there is anything else it could be that I should check before I start pulling this tranny out. Thanks.
  • rbrummrbrumm Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone help me? All I did was drop my pan to change the fluid and filter. I added a drain plug and adjusted the bands as required. After I put things back together I idled the truck to top off the fluid and the truck threw a P0748-PRESSURE SOL CONTROL/TRANS RELAY CIRCUITS.

I took it around the block and it wouldn't start in low gear. This transmission was flawless before I dropped the pan for service.

Anyone have any answers for me? Out of all the searching I decided to order a new governor pressure solenoid and sensor. Then I found this site. Parts have not been installed yet.

Truck is an '02 QC with 5.9L and 101,000 on it.
  • alboudreaualboudreau Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9 V8 auto. while driving the other day the OD off light came on and it dropped itself out of ovrdrive then a short while later the hot trans light came on. A quick code check revealed P1740 ( TCC/Overdrive solenoid).
    Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?
  • dantwebdantweb Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 02 ram trans i drove my truck to the bank! got out and when i got back in and was leaving she would not shift into overdrive ,, slugish when i start out in drive so i drop her down in 1st to take off , then manuely shift up , 2nd seams to be the same as 1st but she goe's right into 3rd no prob , but no overdrive button and light works but no shifty shifty into OD help please truck is 4 wheel drive also only 84000 miles ?? , also when in third gear and running does not drop down into passing
  • ravenraven Member Posts: 8
    first time to post in this forum...i have a 2000 dodge ram 3500 4wd cummings diesel 24 valve intercooled turbo diesel. 100k miles
    47re transmission. I have 2 issues: 1st is after truck sits, drop it in gear...., wont move. after several seconds, slowly will pull off.
    my thoughts on this is the anti-drain valve for the pump...?
    then, 2nd issue. part throttle cruise 35-45 mph light throttle pressure, trans shifts in and out.. (of overdrive?)...this has gotten worse as time has gone by... when it first started a friend at a trans shop replaced the throttle position sensor. I dont think this changed a thing...,but i didnt notice it as much/bad.
    I have serviced the transmission regularly and used dodge filter and plus 3 fluid.
    I am an ASE certified master mechanic....also smart enough to know when something is above my head. I dont have an appropriate scan tool, so it's like shooting in the dark.
    additionally....no trouble code lights on the dash.
    When above 55 mph everything seems fine..., and if you push hard on accelerator, seems to go up thru the gears ok...
    I would appreciate any helpful ideas on these problems.
  • eteketek Member Posts: 5
    I have a 97 Ram 1500 , 5.9 , 46re. Will not shift properly, initially it seems to shift but after about a mile or two the problem will start, I can come to a stop and then it won't shift up or sporadic. I ohmed out trans relay pin 87 thru all solenoids back to pcm connector c2, harness is good and solenoids have reading. Recently a shop changed the OD/Lockout solenoid and harness in Tranny but no fix. Trying to troubleshoot myself. With truck running I get 13 volt to Trans relay 87 but I dont see a low from the PCM C2 connector on the other side of the governor pressure solenoid. I have signal voltage coming from the governor pressure sensor. I am thinking of replacing the Solenoid and sensor anyway just to eliminate those. Any help appreciated.
  • ramman9ramman9 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001, 2500 cummins mine did the same thing. I took it to my mechanic he read the code and said the govenor pressure sensor and the trans temp sensor was reading high voltage. He talked to his trans man and he said the sensors could be bad and could change them but it only might last a couple thousand more miles and to ofcoarse to rebuild the whole trans. Then i talk to a couple buddies they gave me two mechanics names 1 still works for the dealer the other quit. Anyway they told me first to try the sensors the truck only has 110,000 and the od off light came on right away followed by the temp light the trans wasnt hot and never slipped just came out of overdrive. So i went to the dealer and bought the govenor pressure sensor and the transducer went to his house dropped the pan and they are right there we change them this weekend and havent had a problem since. The parts were $218.00 and it saved me $2600.00 for rebuilding the trans. I also recommend changing the filter and fluid and adjusting the bands while in there which is very simple as well about 1/4 in gap on the reverse and second. Very simple job bout an hour and a half can save alot of money. Hope this can help you! Good luck! Sincerly ramman9!
    Thanks for the info Ramman9, I hope my luck is as good. Wish the shop that changed the OD solenoid would have changed the Gov sensor and solenoid while he was in there, seems like that would have been the best thing to eliminate all the easy possibilities. I am going to do it myself this go around.
  • 96ram15004x496ram15004x4 Member Posts: 6
    problem started a couple of weeks ago as slow shifts. Last week it pretty much stopped shifting out of 1st and started making a whining noise as a starving pump. I changed the fluid and filter using ATF-4 and the whining has stopped, but other than occasionally shifting at really high rpm's it still doesn't shift out of 1st. Does anyone know what this problem could be?
  • acline1acline1 Member Posts: 1
    ok, guys, please help me. i am a truck girl with a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4. i love my truck, but it quit shifting and i am lost. i am sure this question was asked before, but i am clueless how to use this search. it won't shift out of 1st gear. i let it sit for about a year and just got in it the other day. on the initial drive, it seemed to shift thru the gears ok. after about a mile, it quit shifting. it won't go out of 1st. this is the reason i parked it last year. can anyone tell me what is the matter? is this a common problem and how do i "not" get ripped off fixing it? thanks in advance.
  • jrthomas81jrthomas81 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 ext cab 4X4 1500 with a 360 motor (5.9). I need to know what trans I have and am having trouble finding the plate on the trans that actually tells me. I am being told it could be a 46RE or 46RH does this sound correct? I have been told the RE was for 1997 or newer and RH is for 1993/4-1996. Please help. I am also looking for a good rebuilt or used trans for this truck if anyone has one :confuse:
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    The I.D. number for auto trans is stamped on the left side of the transmission case (drivers side) above the oil pan. There is a 9 digit part number followed by a 4 digit build date and then a 4 digit serial number.
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
    I had the number on the Tranny but could not find anything on the net to tell me. I called the parts department at the local dodge dealer and gave him the last 8 digits of my Vin# (located drivers side dash at bottom of windshield and also on the underside of hood on a paper if its still there). He was happy to type it in the computer which displays all the details that came on your truck.
    I am having similar problems and am trying to rule out the simple things (don't cost a fortune). So far my research has proven one thing, it can be a number of different things but the Governor pressure solenoid and sensor are the most likely which I am going to try changing. You may want to get your local auto parts store to read the codes with a scan tool to get an idea what may be going on. Here is a list of possibilities.

1 - governor pressure solenoid, sensor
    2 - throttle position cable
    3 - shift linkage
    4 - Trans relay in distribution box under hood
    5 - bad connections in harness to pcm , transmission
    6 - bad PCM - powertrain control module on firewall passenger side
    7 - fluid burnt, too high , too low (check with truck running in neutral)
    8 - Bands need adjusting
    9 - fluid filter clogged
    10 - valve body malfunction
  • graywolffegraywolffe Member Posts: 3
    I had my tranny rebuilt at aamco in arizona. But I am having a small but annoying problem. When i am driving over bumpy roads at highwat speed the rpm's jump 300-400 rpm occasionally. I know the wheels aren't leaving the groundto cause this. I can hear it slip. Is this a tranny problem or is there another culprit? My truck is at aamco in pueblo colorado and they say there's no codes and can't find the problem.
  • cumminsmike01cumminsmike01 Member Posts: 1
    im haveing the same prob with my 01 2500 in and out of OD at about 45 55 and if i get on the gas it shifts threw fine did you end up resolveing that prob if so please email me back asap. thanks mike
  • oldmans03oldmans03 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 3500 ram with a cummins diesel. The transmission will not downshift to first gear about 60% percent of the time when you stop at a redlight. When it does downshift the transmission acts normal through at the gears. You can manually select 1st gear and it will shift to first gear shift the trans back to drive and the transmission will go back to whatever gear it was in before you manually selected first gear. I have changed the fluid and filter and no change. The dealer told me I needed a new valve body unit. Any ideas before I change the valve body?
  • ravenraven Member Posts: 8
    HI MIKE!! I,m a truck driver...havent had time to work on it...one thought: I replaced the alternator recently...can cause RFI noise that effects overdrive operation...(info i've run across researching problem)....I'M about to replace the governor pressure solonoid and sensor because of veh. mileage, and trans is due service anyway.
    Dieseltrans.com has a tps noise filter if it is the alt noise problem...seem to be real nice folks...lotsa good stuff 4 our trucks !...good luck...keep in touch..
  • jaimecjaimec Member Posts: 8
    any one please help i pull a 5th wheel and when towing up hill my tranny temp gets to235deg. is this normal
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Which engine do you have?

How many miles on the vehicle?

Does 1st gear seem solid? Does it slip in first?

Do you have reverse?

Regards,
    Dusty
    If you've service the transmission three times in 100K miles, I wouldn't be very suspicious of a clogged anti-drain back valve. How much debris was in the pan the last time you replaced the filter?

However, the anti-drain back valves on Dodge older trucks are prone to clogging and if the system has a lot of clutch material floating around, and they can sometimes stick open. The cooling lines could be clogged, too. If the transmission is due for a service (every 25K on a 47RE), then maybe a filter change will solve your problem. Delayed engagement is typically due to either low pump pressure or a torque converter that's drained over night. On Mopars, low pump pressures are usually caused by leaky seals, less often caused by a worn pump. Torque converter draining can be caused by a anti-drain back valve stuck open or bad seals.

The shifting problem is quite often caused by a sticking Throttle Valve Cable that goes from the engine throttlebody to the transmission, or one that's out of adjustment. Check the terminals in the electrical connector that goes to the transmission for signs of moisture and/or corrosion. Keep these connections clean!

Don't forget that engine tune can also affect this problem.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    How many miles on this vehicle and have you performed periodic maintenance? Hove you retrieved a code from the PCM?

Check the electrical ground path from the transmission to the engine, and the transmission to vehicle frame. There should be zero resistance (ohms).

Remove the electrical connector at the transmission and check for signs of moisture or corrosion. Clean as required.

Regards,
    Dusty
    How many miles on this vehicle?

There are a number of things that could cause this problem, including low hydraulic pressure, a dirty or worn valvebody, a transmission electrical problem, or a stuck servo. My first suspect would be a problem with the Governor Pressure Sensor, Governor Pressure Solenoid, or a problem in the governor electrical circuit. A common problem on older Dodges (especially those that may have sat for a while) is moisture and corrosion in the electrical connector to the transmission.

I would recommend taking this vehicle to a Dodge techniciam and have them diagnosis the problem with the DRB3 scan tool.

Regards,
    Dusty
    The normal operating temperature for the 48RE, 545RFE, and 68RFE is between 80 and 240 degrees F. If the engine coolant temperature reaches 244 degrees F, the following will occur:

*delayed 2-3 upshift
    *delayed 3-4 upshift
    *3rd gear FEMCC (fully modulated converter clutch) from 30-40 MPH
    *3rd gear PEMCC (partially modulated converter clutch) above 35 MPH
    *Above 25 MPH the torque converter will not unlock unless the throttle is closed or if a wide open throttle, 2nd gear PEMCC to 1 kickdown is made.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • kdhagkdhag Member Posts: 1
    I just had the exact same thing happen this morning. What did you find was the problem?

Any help would be greatly appriciated !!

kdhag@gvtel.com

Thanks!!!
    07 3500 5.9 dually ram 33000 miles when towing up hill temp gets higher then 235 its this normal when driving around town its 185-200deg can any body help thanks
    thank you for helping me i asked couple people before and the said that over200 will consider over heating and i don,t know much about cars once again thank you
  • bmxer81bmxer81 Member Posts: 1
    i was just woulndering how hard it was to tighten the band and have u had anyother problems with the tranny since besides slippin in first gear i got a 1995 1500 with 318 in it and have the same problem just woundering if u new of any sites that showed u how to adjust the bands any info would be appericated thx
  • joepatronjoepatron Member Posts: 2
    Please help! I have an 2001 Ram 1500, 5.9L 360. I haven't had a problem with it until this past weekend. 115,000 Miles and there is something wrong with the transmission. It just didn't want to upshift from 1st to 2nd and eventually had trouble with upshifting in all gears. I made a stop for about 20 minutes. When I started the truck back up it was fine...another 20 minutes and it was right back to not shifting. I went from neutral back to drive a few times and it would go the the gear it needed at that speed but it didn't work every time. Reverse seems to be fine although it takes a little more gas to get er rolling that it should. Is the tranny shot or could it be something else???
  • anthonyyoanthonyyo Member Posts: 2
  • anthonyyoanthonyyo Member Posts: 2
    I have a question regarding my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500... I'm having transmission problems... My vehicle has just under 50000 miles and when its cold it won't ingage into reverse for several seconds... I took it to Dodge they said filter was pluged have since replaced filter and fluids... It seemed to correct the problem initialy... After 500 miles I am seeing the same problems with the transmission...
    Thanks
    Big Joe
  • murr1966murr1966 Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2008 3500 6.7 w/6 sp auto trans.I only have 1st & 4th. Dropped the pan and very little metal, no pinecone accumalation.It has all gears for about a mile when cold. codes from dealer are po871,po740 and po218. Can I please get an accurate diagnosis for my problem. The transmission mech @ the place where the truck was purchased says something may be fishy with diagnosis. I appreciate thier efforts, but my doubts are overwhelming.
  • f1r3w4llf1r3w4ll Member Posts: 1
    I have dodge ram 2500 cummins i have a transmission problem still jump 3 to 2
    the mechanic change the torque converter keep doing same thing then i overhaul the transmission keep doing same thing some time when i disconnect the alternator plug stop doing (sometimes) now no more keep jumping 3 to 2
    The truck start doing that in 45 to 55 mph now no matter the speed keep doing the same crap.
    II have a long trip to work 55 miles up and down

I'm tire of that any help? suggestion?
    Thnx in advance.
  • james156james156 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 diesel at 65000 mi. first gear went in my tranny fixed through crysler and then at 110000 mi. i lost second gear. auto tranny.
    now fighting for repairs again! could be just my truck and good luck with yours. happy birthday to your truck!
  • gfd439gfd439 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360. at highway speeds while in cruise the RPMs will fluctuate like the trans is slipping. I dont notice it when its out of cruise but that could be because you cant keep it perfectly at one speed. I changed the fluid, and filter about 18,000 miles ago. I used ATF+4 trans fluid and lucas trans fluid also. I was wondering if it was a sensor or what it was. The truck came with a secondary trans cooler while it still goes into the cooler built into the radiator. The engine temp never seems to go above 180. Any advice would be great.
  • murr1966murr1966 Member Posts: 3
    I 'M CURIOUS HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET SOME HELP HERE. I REALLY NEED SOME INFORMATION, IT'S ELUSIVE. PLEASE HELP ME, THANK YOU. RE; 896
  • joepatronjoepatron Member Posts: 2
    Really, is everyone just answering questions with questions of their own?
    gfd439 I have a similar problem to yours. I have a '99 3/4 ton w/360 gas (vin. z) and auto transmission 46re? 45re? I don't have the transmission number on hand. But it does the same thing you were describing about your cruise control and rpm change/transmission slippage. I have had my transmission rebuilt 10,000 miles ago and my transmission mechanics are at a loss. If you find out what this problem is please post here. I'll do the same when I find out what this issue is. Thanks.
  • orionsdodgeorionsdodge Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Ram with 46000 miles. My concern is that there is a split-second
    between the tach rpms dropping and feeling the tranny engage. This happens during the first two shifts at normal driving speeds, but when I really get on it I don't notice it, or when I disengage the overdrive it shifts normally. Could this be a major problem or is this a sensor going bad? My dealer says that this is normal, is it?
  • blazerjohn1blazerjohn1 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: Has 60,000 miles on it. Slips maybe once a month just on take off. Took it to the dealer a couple of times and no problem was found. Now the water pump started leaking and took it back to let them fix and they now say my transmission is shot all the steering components are bad,(ball joints track bar pit man arm ect.) the water pump valve cover gaskets and .....O :surprise: , the TRANSMISSION is shot.Now they will not warranty it for the fact that an aftermarket item was installed on the truck which they claim caused the problem? no proof though. Dont go to Clermont Dodge in Florida
  • allan18allan18 Member Posts: 2
    just turned 230,000 km and this past week transmission is having difficulty shifting 1st to 2nd. sluggish getting up to speed, it will shift when the rpm gets to 2500 or so then the other gears work fine. Does this require a complete new tranny or are there bands or valves that require fixing.
  • dlb2002dlb2002 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if this will help or not.My brother a few years ago was having a problem with his dodge doing the same thing.On cruise it was doing what you are having a problem with and off of cruise the problem was not their. The problem came out to be a hole so litttle that you couldn't see it with the naked eye.The hose on the cruise were changed at the dealer on the cruise control unit and his problem went away.
    Thanks for the response. I am picking up my truck Saturday. I will have the cruise control hose replaced and post results.
  • rbrummrbrumm Member Posts: 8
    I have had the truck at the mechanics for better than a week now and he has narrowed the problem to the power distribution box (fuse box). He tells me that he has 5 volt power to the transmission but that running a continuity test on the relay connections that he gets continuity on the hot and another one adjacent to it. Is this possible? He thinks it may be the circuitry in the fuse box, a short possibly. Anyone know about failures of the circuits under the integrated power module/ power control module/ fuse box? Mechanic may try to rewire the relay outside the box but I wonder if there are other systems that rely on information from the wires that run into the relay.

I think he is trying to save me $400 on a new fuse box but by time he is done I may have that in there already.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ironic that this failure happened when it did.

• mrmoose53mrmoose53 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I'm looking at a 06 1500 Quad Cab 38'000 miles for $12,500 . Looking for input about these trucks .Pros and Cons . THANX