Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Restoration Advice

1235»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I used to judge actually. As you can tell, I didn't much care for it.

When you have a LOT of a certain car still around, like a Mustang, and when you have a LOT of people restoring them, the competition is fierce and so the focus becomes more and more intense, and revolves around those little details.

But all that can blow up in your face. I've seen judges take points off on a car I know for certain was never touched. The problem of course, is that the factory didn't always do things one particular way, so questions always remain.

Striving for perfection can be admirable, and it can become a parody of itself. It depends.

In my humble opinion, finding the correct air cleaner on a rare shaker hood or rare intake manifold is indeed striving for perfection and should be rewarded. Insisting on the correct markings on a fender bolt from a car slammed together on an assembly line in Detroit in numbers bordering 1/2 million,---this to me is a waste of good people's good time.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Did you judge Mustangs, if so which generation? Still have your active card?

They are not easy to attain these days.
    No I did more like charity events, 50s cars and British cars. I really don't have any interest in Mustangs per se. In the charity events you can ask for certain marques or eras but sometimes they stick you with cars that you aren't much interested in. I really wouldn't feel qualified to judge but a few types of cars. I'd be good on MGs and Porsches I think and Packards. I was asked to judge at the recent Marin-Sonoma Classics show but declined and went into the Car Corral instead, where cars were for display only. I like talking to owners, especially those that have done modifications such as Pro Tourers or Retro-Rods. Their ingenuity is quite amazing sometimes.
  • tbird8tbird8 Member Posts: 5
    Are the 390 and 428 the same motor? Excuse the stupidity here but I've always thought the 428 was a 390 with different heads. Shows what I know. Oh what about the 1963 birds? any better? Or same problems?">
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Maybe this year I will attend that and not stumble into some back entrance where a guy tries to charge me $20 admission...

Personally, I value preserved unrestored cars more than overblown restorations.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    The 390 and 428 are from the same engine family, the "FE" engine, which started in 1958 as the 332 and 352 in Fords and the 361 in Edsels. The 428 had a larger bore than the 390, and probably took the block to its limits, with either too thin of a cylinder wall, too narrow of a water jacket, etc.

The 428 was as big as they were able to take that engine block, so it was replaced around 1968. A new big-block came out, initially displacing 429 CID, but in the 70's it bumped up to 460.

I know a guy who has one of those "7-Litre" Galaxies, which was the 428. He blew it up somehow, but I forget exactly what happened. Either threw a rod, spun a bearing, or whatever, but it pretty much destroyed the engine.
    I think those engines are kinda dogs, aren't they?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The only reason they were dogs is due to the restrictive emission accessories imposed on them. For instance, it made a big difference when I removed the 20 Second Delay valve between the carb port and the vacuum advance. Turning the air cleaner cover upside down helped it breath as well. The first item I ever removed was the Thermactor - what a POS that was. ;)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No, they are not the same motor. The 428's have a bigger bore among other things.

I'm not trying to scare you away. As I said, I actually like these cars but unless you have a lot of knowledge or someone who will actually work on one, they can be a nightmare.

And, they handle horribly.
    They have those back enterances pretty well covered but you may get lucky. Since it's on a Saturday, I'll be working and I'll miss this one.

Yes, the over restored cars don't do much for me. In a lot (most) of cases, they weren't that nice when they left the factory.

I like the survivor cars myself that the owners can actually drive.
    That's very true--the restorations I see are far better than what the factory built. When you see a totally original car in great shape you can see this for yourself.

If you took a 1965 car out of a time capsule and it was pristine with 0 miles on it, and you entered it in a modern auto show for judging, it would probably lose (if the judges didn't know it was an original).
  • tbird8tbird8 Member Posts: 5
    I found a beauty on ebay, a rag top no less! and at a reasonable price. kinda hate to bid on it now, also looked at a Olds Toronado from 1966. Has the same kind of 60's cool look to it. Do you know anything about these? I know its a front driver, but no one I ever knew ever had one to ask about, but must be a cousin of a caddy, right?
    I really like the '66 Toros. Yes, cousin to the Cadillac drivetrain. These are pretty awesome cars. Torque like a freight train. Gas guzzling monsters, great in snow, good power and handling for its vintage.

Downside? Totally impractical 60s coupe---huge car, no room for people.
    I won't be able to make it to the Saturday event either, but they have a peoples choice show or something on Sunday.

I guess last year, my first time to visit this event, the guy thought I wanted to enter my car or something :confuse: ...I think I was driving the fintail at the time, which would look pretty odd in a Ford show.

I'm more content with the condition of my old car as time goes on. It would be laughed out of a concours style event, but it runs good, looks good, and I don't have to worry about hurting it when I drive it. It likes to be driven. It's a car.
    I wasn't trying to scare you away. Just sharing my opinion. Unless a person is aware of the strengths and weaknesses of certain models they can get in way over their heads.

A 1966 Toronado is everything our HOST says about it. Much better workmanship and far fewer electrical problems.

A MUCH better choice would be a Buick Riviera from that era. Just wonderful cars that have a strong following and support group.

I miss mine.
    Fintail,

Do you ever go th the XXX Drive In in Issaquah? Every Saturday evening,a lot of old cars converge there and almost every Sunday morning it's the same thing.

I'm almost always there looking around. On Saturdays a lot of the guys head to the Gaslamp in Issaquah afterwards to eat. A bunch of good guys!
    I've been to a small MB gathering there once, maybe 12-15 cars, that was it. There's a definite lack of automotive-themed gatherings in this part of the world, especially those that aren't built around cloned muscle cars and 70s style 55 Chevy hot rods etc. My cars are weird, and don't fit in among those.

Do you notice any obscure cars there?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I think those engines are kinda dogs, aren't they?

I've heard that they're not as powerful as you might think something like that would be. Looking online, I've seen 0-60 times from 8.2 to 8.8 seconds, and I found a quarter mile time of 16.5 seconds@ 83 mph.

It had 345 hp, which also doesn't sound like a lot to me, for something that's supposed to be a high performance engine. However, a lot of the "real" high-performance engines back then, like the 426 Hemi, and probably the 425 hp version of the Chevy 409 and 396, were a pain in the butt to live with on a daily basis unless you were living life a quarter mile at a time. Great for racing and showing off and getting tickets, but they'd go out of tune in a heartbeat, run hot, tended not to be happy with creature comforts like air conditioning, power steering, etc, and were geared so short they sounded like they were screaming even at idle.

I think the 7-litre was supposed to be a more "civilized" attempt at a full-sized performance car. A car that was still a pretty good performer, but something you could still be comfortable driving to work and running errands, day in and day out.

My friend's other old car is a 1959 Dodge Coronet 2-door hardtop, with the D500 package. 383 with dual quads and 345 hp. He blew the engine on that one, too. :sick:
  • d4smfd4smf Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I would like to ask you for your help. Does someone of you know anything about restoration of German Ford Taunus 17M? How much will it cost (approximately), and where i can find spare parts for this car in this area (Balkan Peninsula- Europe)? I have no experience in restoration, so any advice will be welcomed :).

Thanks!
    My rule of them is that you always start searching for parts in the country of origin. These sources might include car clubs for that marque, of course wrecking yards, Internet (eBay, local bulletin boards) and print publications dedicated to old cars.
    You're not terribly far from Germany...you should take a long holiday and go on a buying trip. Those cars are a lot less uncommon in the home country.

Restoration costs are difficult to determine, dependent upon the condition of the car and the demands of the car. On most normal cars a full restoration will far exceed the value of the car, so a simple "driver quality" refurbishment is the best idea, and even that won't exactly be cheap.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Your second paragraph hits the bulls eye. Restorations can almost never be justified from an economic standpoint. Repairs to keep an old vehicle in service are easier to justify. The economic arguments for spending more on repairs than the market value of the vehicle include...

First, if you don't put on many miles -- say no more than 5,000 miles per year, for sake of argument -- then the annual depreciation on a new car could exceed the amortization cost of repairs.

Second, The expenses associated with replacing certain items that wear out regardless of whether the car is old or new, such as tires, batteries, brakes, etc., should be backed out of the cost of restoring old cars. The same applies to maintenance expenses.

All the other arguments for restoring old cars, or doing repairs exceeding the market value of the vehicle, are emotional.
    Making a car a nice driver is the way to go, unless it is something super desirable where a profit can be made. That way you don't (usually) get in too deep, and you can actually enjoy driving it. A little patina is more interesting to me than having everything fresh, too.
    Most folks will buy a car in need of some restoration because they cannot afford, or are reluctant to spend, the necessary amount to buy that same car ALREADY restored----even when, financially speaking, it would be for more advantageous to buy the restored (or even just "clean") example.

This is certainly okay, especially if you enjoy tinkering, but there are certain cases when you really need to slap yourself and not do it.

One circumstance is what I call "the blind canyon". This comes from flying in Alaska, where a small plane enters an unknown mountain pass or canyon, unaware that the canyon will rise, and will narrow, faster than the plane can either climb or turn.

In other words, you are doomed the moment you enter.

If you buy say a 70s or 80s 4-door car for instance, that needs lots of work, you are doomed to failure. You will never get even a substantial portion of your money back.

Me, personally? I will take on a "break-even" or even small loss restoration project, but I will not tolerate loss of thousands and thousands of dollars.
    A friend of mine wanted to restore a British motorcycle and was kind enough to consider my advice of some value at least.

His first choice was a non-running 70s Triumph with some missing parts and shabby paint and rusted chrome. I voted NO because of a) the asking price of $2500, b) the ultimate value of this bike and c) too many unknowns regarding prior history of the bike.

His second choice (or third) was a 70s Norton for $1500 that was non-running, covered outside for 3 years, dirty, some rust, very original looking, being sold by the original owner. I voted YES. Turns out that did work out, since the engine did run well. True, he had to clean out the gas tank, clean up the rust, buy a few parts, buy tires, rebuilt the carbs, buy a battery. But still, he's got a $4000 bike to sell now.

His third choice was a 60s BSA for $4000 that needed almost a full restoration but had a good history. I also agreed YES because this particular model is quite valuable, perhaps $20,000 when done. So there is room for success here. Turns out this engine was soon after purchase, partly disassembled and proved to be in good condition.
    I bet bikes are easier to deal with and not lose your shirt, due to cheaper purchase price and less things to replace or restore. Although I am sure prewar models could break the bank.

I can't imagine trying to restore a car for profit, I just don't have that kind of luck. I'd restore something to keep forever, where a loss wasn't part of the equation...and even then, I would have feel comfortable spending such money, which I don't. Until then, my old car will remain unrestored. It is in "good enough" condition to drive around and have fun with, and I don't have to worry about $5K paint jobs.
    edited March 2010
    Well you don't have to restore them, you can just clean them up, enjoy them and then resell them when you're done. You can often do a lot with "dead" paint, small chips and scratches, rusted tire rims, scratched trim, faded black trim pieces, dirty engine, etc.

As for mechanics, most older cars are pretty simple as long as you don't get into things like convertible tops and heater cores, or pulling huge V-8 engines out. Many older engines can be worked on in place.

So you have to "pick your shots" carefully and not take on cars that have difficult problems.

Things like rust, blown engines**, busted glass all the way round, completely destroyed leather interiors, or very bad collision damage are all no-brainers---STAY AWAY

** exception to blown engine might be if the car carries a commonly available crate engine.
    Lately there is also a growing movement that accepts and even embraces faded paint, a little rust here and there, aged interiors, and so on - the car being roadworthy is the main concern. "Survivor" cars are the new cool, and they are both more affordable and easier to live with. For a lot of cars, something that isn't pristine, but honest, is more interesting than something that is totally new.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    maybe a little rust, but rust patches all over the car do not flatter the car or the owner IMO. I do agree though that original cars are much more interesting to me as well, as long as they aren't so bad that you want to shoot them to put them out of their misery.
    edited March 2010
    Hey, there's no better theft deterent than rust patches all over the car. Plus, it distinguishes the owner from ordinary folks. Isn't that why people buy Rolls Royce Corniches and Bugatti Veyrons?
    Well maybe but when I look at a neglected car like that I don't necessarily find the instinct to pour admiration all over the owner---more like "how could you DO that to a nice old car?" (even if they didn't do it, they OWN it, and so it is in their stewardship).
    Yeah I don't mean a crumbling heap of iron oxide...but a little spot of "aged metal" doesn't seem to be the end of the world anymore. I have two little bubble spots on my old car...it doesn't get to me anymore.

If a car is relatively straight and clean, old paint, even if it is faded or worn, has a lot more character than something new that the owner is afraid to touch. And it can actually be put on the road without worry.
  • boobtubeboobtube Member Posts: 3
    I have a '58 Volvo pv444 and I have been having a problem with the starter that I'm hoping someone may have encountered. I purchased the car last year and since the first time I tried starting it, there was an awful grinding noise. I pulled the starter and saw that the front of the pinion gear was worn down pretty badly. I was able to locate a used starter and replaced the bendix assembly so now I was working with a good drive gear. I put the starter back in and I'm still getting that same grinding noise. The flywheel has all it's teeth and I don't see any noticable wear on the flywheel teeth. I slid under the car and removed the flywheel cover and was able, with a screwdriver, to move the starter drive gear into the teeth of the flywheel without a problem. I then had a friend start the car as I watched. It all happens faster than the eye can see. It would seem that the teeth are slipping against the flywheel teeth with moments of catching. I see the fan turn intermittently as it catches. The noise is bad and I don't want to wear down another starter gear. They are really hard to find anymore. The starter is the correct part for the car. It can't really be shimmed since it's only held on with two bolts. All seems to be fitting correctly. Is there such a thing as a weak solenoid that doesn't hold the gear out during starting? I bench tested the starter and it flies right out to the end without any load on it. I'm hoping some ace mechanic out there has encountered something like this. Pardon my verbosity. I wanted to get all the details out.
    I would do two things right off. One, remove the starter OR the flywheel cover and examine the entire flywheel 360 degrees. If there is just one place with a few damaged teeth, it'll push the starter pinion out.

Two, I'd remove the starter and lubricate the shaft the gear runs on, the bushing and the gear itself and try it again.

If neither of those produces any results, I'd say your used starter is no good. If the starter more spins too slowly (starter drag), it'll disengage prematurely. Given that you're running on 6 wheezy volts I believe with that car, it might be best for you to have the starter rebuilt.
    I just wanted to add something to what I wrote yesterday. I climbed under the car again and observed the starter in action. Forget what I said about a weak solenoid because the drive gear is shooting all the way out and staying in place as it turns. What is happening is that the starter gear is slipping and catching on the flywheel. Thus, the loud grind as it slips and then it catches to turn the flywheel a bit and slips again. This is what is happening. It's just puzzling because the teeth on the starter and flywheel both look ok. I turned the flywheel by hand and could find no worn teeth. It could be the starter is still shot but looks like it's working. It is a six volt Bosch starter and it seems to have plenty of power. I took a short video of it in action which I will post a link for when I am by my home computer.
    Could you observe the flywheel possibly moving backwards? You have the B16 engine I believe, which is not a great motor and has only 3 main bearings holding the crankshaft. I'm wondering if the crankshaft play is bad enough to partly disengage the starter teeth from the flywheel? Sometimes the B16 crankshaft will actually split and still function!
    The flywheel is moving in the right direction when it moves. Yes, I do have the B16 engine. I did have it running this summer by ignoring the noise and continuing to crank until it started. When I had pulled the starter out afterwards, the front third of the teeth were pretty worn. I had then replaced that bendix assembly with the used one that seemed to be ok. Here is a video of the culprit in action...
    http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/Kielbalsa/?action=view&current=volvosta- rting.mp4
  • mark291mark291 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am new here and would just like to ask if anyone knows how I might be able to sell a new 1978 Plymouth Volare hood. It's factory primed and in its original factory box, and has been stored in my garage. Does anyone have any advice on how I can sell it or who I can contact?

Thanks.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    There's Craigslist, Ebaymotors, or you could check Hemmings Motor News to either advertise it or to see if any Mopar parts suppliers would want to buy it.
    Be sure to figure out the shipping costs before you advertise, so that you can plainly state what it's going to cost someone to ship to them. Craigslist would be easier, because it's local.
  • johngault57johngault57 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for somewhere i can get a loan to restore my 68' Cutlass Convertible. I am working on the engine right now and i have hit a wall. I need the engine at least to be finished before winter really hits.
    It is financed through my bank and I have ok credit. I dont want to take another loan out from my bank. Is there any place that does loans for restoring classic cars? There is alot more that needs to be done but it is in overall good shape and it is worth quite a bit especially after im done.
    I am new to restoring classic cars by myself and helped my dad alot with his 72' Charger but other than that i am lost.
    Don't think this is even remotely possible unless you offer the car as collateral to someone on a personal loan basis (give them the title). Which you can't do because you already have financed the car? Basically you'd have to deal with some kind of loan shark, as this type of loan would be incredibly risky. if they loan you X dollars and you hit more snags (gee, does this ever happen with old cars? :P ), then you'll need Y dollars more, and the lender has a car that still doesn't run if he wants to call in the loan or file a lien against you for his part of the value of the car.

Easiest way, if you can do the homework, is to run up the engine bill on your credit card, and once billed, find another credit card offer where you get zero interest if you transfer the balance from one card to the other.

Or better yet, button 'er up for the winter and start saving your money.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I agree, you'll be much better off restoring as your funds allow, not the thing to get in debt over.
  • mark291mark291 Member Posts: 2
    Just want to say thank you to "texases" and "Mr Shiftright" for your suggestions on selling my Volare hood. I appreciate your help.
  • ralph77ralph77 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1959 chevy 2 door belair, am thinking about getting a 1960 chevy 4 door belair, the 60 needs a new windshild and i have that in the 59 chevy, will it switch over? what parts from the 59 2door will go on a 60 4door?
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,055
    I'd think the windshield would be the same, but worth checking on a Chevy online forum or AACA Chevrolet forum. The instrument panel should be the same (except for minor trim, possibly, and also possibly color). I believe all the other sheetmetal is different from a '59 to a '60. Bumpers? Maybe, but I'd look hard at pics of each car first online. Good luck!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I believe that compound wrap windshield is the same on all 1959 GM cars except for the Corvette and Eldorado Brougham.