Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What's in Your Garage?

2»

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Yeah, the townhouse we are in right now has a small creek behind it. The best part about the creek is it's name. All the streams, creeks, rivers and what not through-out PA seem to have names and what makes it even funnier is there is a legitimate road sign down at the road where the creek goes under with the name on it. The name of the creek is "Snits Creek" (yes that is a "N"). well right after we moved here, I went out and bought an old wooden oar and snapped it in 2 and tied it to the sign. I guess you can say it was a reference to "The person who went up Snits Creek without their paddle." :shades: The township didn't find it funny and removed it after about a week, but the sign is still there. It's gonna be sad to move to the new house, but yet exciting too.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace

PS - I will go out tomorrow and snap a picture of the sign to put on my carspace.
    Sorry, didn't get around to taking the picture of the sign yet, but boy howdy is my new garage coming along great (and the house attached to it too). If you go onto My Carspace (link below) you can go to my Family Homepage and check out the build progress.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    yay... I now have concrete in the garage. I will have to do a before and after picture of the floor when I'm going to seal it with the Epoxy.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672
    congrats on the floor epoxy! I still have about 1/4th of my garage floor to do. I probably should have done it all at once, but I didn't want my convertible to have to sit outside for 7-8 days for the stuff to seal, so I figured I'd just come back to that spot! I'll probably do it in the spring when it warms up a bit.

Oh, as for the critters in my garage, so far I've caught one vole and three mice.
    just remember mice are like rabbits... where there's one, there's probably three (hundred).

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    LOL......That is true Odie ;)

Rocky
    here are 2 pictures of the new garage.
    Taken Jan 7th.

Taken Jan 11th.

After we get into the house and the temp is right I will be doing the epoxy on the floor. I will do a before and after picture of the project.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    How do you get those pictures to post, Odie??? I can't seem to do it......
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    When you put pics into an album on your CarSpace page and then go to that image, there's a box that's labeled Embed Image. You just copy what's in that box and paste it into your post here and the image will be displayed!
    yeah, what PF said. :shades:

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    as of Tuesday nite, so far the score is one vole, 6 mice! I didn't go in the garage yesterday, but it's supposed to get really cold tonite, so I'm sure the critters will be coming in in droves.
    that I no longer use this car canopy:
    as a home for any of my vehicles anymore! I couldn't decide whether to leave it up or take it down, but Mother Nature made that decision for me! :surprise:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    is that a white Ford Fairlane over there to the right? It looks a bit like the '66 Ford Fairlane I owned in 1984. We called it "Old Smokey" because it had bad valves.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Nah, that poor old beast is my '68 Dart. Here's another pic of it, under the 5 or so inches of snow we got today:
    I can kind of see how it might have been my '66 Ford Fairlane. It just didn't quite look exactly like the Fairlane and now I see why. :D

You certainly got a nice dumping of snow!

Well, my wife and I are 2 weeks away from signing for the new house. We go on friday to buy new appliances for the new house, but the really good part, because of the fridge, washer, & dryer we are buying, we get a $250 gift card from the store, which in turn is going to be used to buy all the garage floor epoxy & paint for the walls. I just need to determine about the floor temp for the epxoy. the walls I'm going to be doing the weekend right after signing.

I do have one question. Which do you prefer... Belt Drive or Screw Drive for the garage door openers. We have our choice, but not sure what the difference is. I told my wife I think the belt drive is quieter, but the screw drive will hold up longer over time.

Only downside is because of the outside ground and air temps, they cannot put the blacktop down for the driveway. So we are going to have stones for the time being.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Too bad I couldn't build one of those garages - but I'd probably would have to tear down the buildings next to mine. I wanna try that speckled garage floor stuff as well. First thing is I have to replace my driveway. It's a mess. I bet it's the same one that was laid down in 1955 when my place was built.
    house in Willcox, AZ. Congratulations, odie!

I'm putting my pool table under the carport and we're gonna place white lattice around the front of the carport. The laundry room is outside the main part of the house. You have to walk outside the kitchen door to get to the laundry room.

We are going to tear out the old carpeting and paint the walls. We're also going to put in new flooring, window coverings and an entire white vinyl fencing package. Gonna be a lot of work but it'll be worth it in the end. ;)

once everything is all said and done (house and paints) I will put together a video tour and put it up on YouTube like I did with our townhouse that is for sale (yes, I put a video under title on youtube to get more people looking at the house for sale). I can't tell you how many calls our realitor has received asking about the townhouse, it's just crazy.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I put up videos of our used cars on Youtube and get calls on them from that as well.

I haven't done it in a while because I am not in charge of used cars sales anymore but I am trying to get back into it.
    Well we decided to go with the belt drive over the screw drive. Also we are going to get the battery back-up (in case of power outages). I just need to decide on 1/3hp or 1/2 hp. I can hear the Tool Man saying "We will just add a Saab 900 turbo motor on the door assembly and arr ar ar".

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I spoke with Cornwell Door Service (located in Lebanon,PA) after they were recommended by a carspace member. They were very helpful and we are more than likely going to have them install the door openers for us. Each unit is going to have belt drive and battery back-up. as for the HP... there is no horsepower rating because the units are DC powered.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    lemko,

I always assumed you had a heated Jay Leno, like Museum/Garage for your cars ? :P

Rocky
    Well, with the really nice temps we had on thursday, I was able to get the garage floor sealed. Once I'm able to get onto it (probably Sat) I will try and snap a few pics. We are getting our upright freezer delivered on Sat. Now I just need to decide about a garage work system.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Well,
    I decided to hold off on taking pictures. We have boxes up the wazzu on one side of the garage because of moving, and I'm putting the work bench system together on the other side, so I'm going to hold off until all is done.

As for the workbench. I decided to go with the Coleman Tuff Duty System (Click here for link). So far I have purchased (2) wall cabinets, (1) two-door base cabinet, (1) three-drawer base cabinet, and (1) storage cabinet. Once those are assembled and up I will purchase the pegboard hutch and 60" worktop to finish everything off.

The epoxy floor coating got it's first true test on April 3rd. I backed into the garage to drop off the Coleman stuff. After unloading I went inside and had lunch, after that, I went out and got the mail. As I was coming back into the garage I noticed a small oil puddle under the front of the '06 Pilot. Turns out the oil filter was not fully tightned and had a small drip. I had my oil changed just 2 days before, so I did not lose to much oil (about 1/2 qt). The dealer replace oil and tightend the filter after checking to make sure it wasn't a cracked plug or pan. Anyway, the oil just wiped right up off the floor without leaving a mark. :)

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    still no pictures (I hate unpacking, as much as I hate packing).

How many people are getting ready for their spring garage cleaning (a.k.a - YARD SALE). My wife no wants to go through the boxes before we bring them into the house (leave them in garage) and make a section for yard sale items.

Oh yeah, we finally got the blacktop down, just need to wait set-up.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I dunno if I'd have the ambition to do a yard sale, but I need to do some spring cleaning. I started a little yesterday, trying to get my garage ready to put the paint down on the last section of floor. When I did the rest of it last summer, I left 1/4 of it undone, so my convertible didn't have to sit outside for a week. And then I never got around to finishing it. :blush:

I put some boards across the trusses up in the attic, providing a space to pack stuff away. Which is probably not a good thing, because I tend to be a packrat. I need to learn better how to get rid of stuff!
    Time for me to chime in on my wife and I's "new" old house here in SE Arizona. Today the kitchen was floored with laminate to match the laminate laid in the hallway, dining room and living room. Right now there are two guys out in my yard digging fence posts. We have a 20 lb. Pomeranian that thinks he's weighs 100 lbs. and is full of bark and our new neighbors have a real 100 lb. dog who thinks he weighs 200 lbs. and is full of bark. Right now chain link separates our two homes. We're getting a 6-ft.wood fence installed this week. Whoo-hoo! I can't wait for them to get done...to let our dog out(the current chain link fence doesn't fully surround and box a yard in at the house...there was no way that was gonna work)and to put up our above-ground pool(4'X18')and to get a basketball hoop put up. I'm thinkin' of getting one of those portable hoops and putting it up...basketball is a passion of mine and I'm missing it badly!

It's coming together inside and out...next is some bathroom plumbing and probably some electrical work done...a new Roper dryer has mysteriously quit working after working for a 1/2 hour, a Roper repair guy is coming out here Thursday.

Inside I've got some wall repair to do and some tile to lay still, but it's lookin' better every day. We've only been in here for a couple weeks. It is one of those "to get a good price on the house you're gonna have to put some work in to it" kind of houses, as you probably could all gather.

Oh, I almost forgot. In front of the house I am having the fence go around my carport so I can have a 12' gate put in. That way I can park inside my carport if I want, or not. There will be a walk-through sized gate coming away from the house and the carport gate coming away from that post area. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it so you know what I'm talking about. That is an important feature so I can get my '08 Lancer GTS out of the elements(here in Arizona that's mostly wind and sand, but even so)and give us privacy in the carport for barbecuing and for working on all of those what-not projects for around the house.

I've heard that wind / sand combo is hell on cars (kinda like sand blasting the paint). It all sounds like it's coming together nicely.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    we also have an 'Auto Butler' deal with our Lancer GTS that coats it with a protective layer every 6 months. I will not let that go by without having that done.

I'll be monitoring the paint job closely and washing and waxing regularly, too.

Sounds like your abode is coming along nicely, too, odie!

I just posted Part One of our New House video (link provided below). I'm working at taking more pictures to work on Part Two now that the computer at home is up and running.

Link to Video

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Good job Odie.. The music was fine tuned to the construction. I am looking forward to part 2. :)
    haven't really been on in awhile. Plus all the really nice days we have had I've spent driving or playing outside. Anyway the garage should be empty (besides for cars) after this coming weekend. The basement is now finished and I can start to move furniture (book cases, desks, shelving units, and a 800 lb entertainment center) and a heap load of boxes (that need unpacked) down into the basement. I now have my shed for all my outdoor toys, so they are not sleeping in the garage anymore. The only stuff going to be in the garage will be 'The Beast & Quicksilver' (Pilot & Accord) and the massive work center I have.

Back out to finish trying to get my grass to grow.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    What is everyone using for window coverings on their garage windows? I'm looking for something durable (and probably washable) but don't want vinyl mini-blinds. Faux-wood plantation shutters (on the inside) are an option, but they're pricey--looks like over $250 each for two 35" by 71" windows. I also have the windows on an entry door to cover. Any suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't have anything but how about some of these:

See-Through Window Decal

Or maybe you're married, lol, in which case peel 'em off and stick on your truck window.
    I just have 2 old curtain panels (unfortinaly they are plum) hung up over our side window. It was either hang them up or cut them up into shop rags.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    edited November 2012
    "If you added up everything in the garage it would amount to what, maybe $2,000?" said Arnold. "Sometimes we're not making very good decisions about what we purport to value."

Clutter replacing cars in garages (Detroit News)

Are you one of the 75 percent? The snow isn't flying yet - you still have time. :shades:
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    Woah, talk about a blast from the past. As a follow up to my August 2007 post, I bought a set of "washable" light blocking curtains from JC Penney. They worked fine until I tried to wash them about a year later. To their credit, JC Penney took them back and gave me store credit.

I replaced them with the dreaded vinyl roller shades, which have worked fine for the past several years. They have a tendency to blow around in the wind, but no casualties so far.

I know a lot of people who have their attic, basement, and garage filled with junk. My house has no basement, the attic has trusses and can't be used for storage, and I have two cars in my two car garage, so there's not much temptation to fill the garage with more consumer crap (other than the cars).
    edited November 2012
    I'd forgotten the curtain thread. When we moved, the garage at the new place had some peel and stick stuff on the three windows. Reminded me of glass you'd see in a bathroom; let some light in but blocked the view.

After a month I peeled them off and like having the extra light, and being able to see out while I'm messing around in it.

Never heard of a "one and a half" garage until recently but I guess the term has been around a long time. The new garage is like a two and a half one - lots of junk room in the end, even after getting both cars in.
    Here is an updated picture of the home for both our vehicles ("The Beast" & "No Name"). The right side with the extra 1/2 car / work space in the rear is soon going to be home to a 15' Pontoon (yes it will fit on trailer in the garage.

Odie
    not much room for my (I...I mean your) ping-pong table in there, man!

no, the air hockey table (all 850 lbs of it) went into the den in the basement.

Odie
    good choice on the air hockey table. Better get it out and use it again! ;)

Here's an idea - clean out your car and mess up your garage. Some of you will be in trouble on both counts. :-)

A reporter is looking for any drivers out there who can discuss the creative ways they've tried to keep their car clutter-free. There are so many gadgets, toys for kids, stuff for pets and other goods carried along in vehicles today, and he'd like to know how you manage or organize all these things inside your car. If you think you have helpful tips or ideas, please let us know at pr@edmunds.com by Monday December 24th.
    My vehicle ("The Beast") is usually dirtier on the outside, more than the inside... lol. If its not muddy, you weren't having fun. :shades:

Odie
    I always enjoyed this old thread and was thinking about it as I smurfed my new garage up with $5 worth of "safety" duck tape. "Sidewalks" in garages seems to be a (dumb) trend here and I got tired of tripping going in and out of mine all the time. Really liking the epoxy floor too but I bet it'd be way too slippery in a wet climate.

• steveaustin714steveaustin714 Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely agree! A garage is more than just a storage space. I've set up my garage as a mini car haven with epoxy flooring, a tool bench, and a cool car memorabilia wall. It's become my personal retreat and workshop. Excited to hear about how others have personalized their garages too!