Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Rattles and Noises

2»

Comments

• gpciiigpciii Member Posts: 13
    What does challenge to go find a 268HP US car with every amenity that gets 30+ MPG have to do with the Toyota Avalon rattling and thumping problems? The facts about Toyota's downward trend in quality and the resultant problems, whether mechanical, electronic, or aggrevations are well documented by JD Powers, and others. And are acknowledged by Toyota as they have reported various actions taken to correct. In the meantime, we later model Avalon owners continue to be great help to each other in finding out how our various problems can be fixed. That's how I learned what was going on with my noise problem with the sunroof. Otherwise, like others I thought it was coming from the passenger side of the car. I've got the dash rattles now too but have resolved to the fact that that's part of what I bought! gpciii
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    "What does challenge to go find a 268HP US car with every amenity that gets 30+ MPG have to do with the Toyota Avalon rattling and thumping problems?"

Nothing... I just felt you were awful quick to knock an otherwise great car for a simple problem. I just don't think a sunroof rattle is cause to think a manufacturer is falling apart. Please don't get me wrong I hate having anything wrong too and am not trying to diminish the fact you had a problem, but just putting it in context. Go onto some of the other car's forums and you'll understand what I am talking about.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• foreman5150foreman5150 Member Posts: 6
    The temp. has warmed up ( 60 to 80 ) and the noise is gone...If that's the only problem I'm happy.
    okay the noise is back. not from the sunroof but around the front passanger side down by their feet / side panel area. Can anyone help
  • 49364936 Member Posts: 15
    Maybe passenger side seat belt latch hitting the plastic panel at door. I had the same sound seemingly coming from the front floor area and found the belt latch was dangling against the panel, worth a try.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Foreman5150

Not to dispute what you say, but are you "positive" that noise isn't related to the sun roof? I ask because the noise I heard on my avy also sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side, and it's most definetly sun roof related. In fact I was at the toyota dealership just last weekend for something completely unrelated to this issue, when I mentioned it to the service writer. He sent two of their guys out in my car, one to drive, the other to listen with a stethoscope to see if they could hear any metal flex issues in the sun roof mechanism.. they said they did and told me that rather than sending it out to a trim shop and dropping the head liner, they wrapped some of the metal rods in the mechanism with felt. Of course since this is normally a cold weather issue, I wont' know if it really worked or not until this fall, but I'm hopeful... Other than that annoying rattle, I love the car... strange thing is that the sun roof rattle goes away as soon as the heater warms the car's interior, so in any case, the rattle is always a short term issue. Good luck with finding yours.

Roland
    My dealer sent my 07 Av out to a trim shop to drop the headliner and replace parts of the sunroof track. It totally fixed the problem. But before it sounded more like a rattle than a thumping noise. Overall, I am disappointed in my Avalon: e.g., electronics on the auto transmission allows overspeeding when downshifting, etc.; more noises have shown up. New noises include dash rattle over on passenger side (think this is a typical complaint) + in cooler weather the fan makes a chirping noise. Will just collect up everything and take it in prior to warranty end. Never have had a Toyota (probably 6-7 total) w/so many problems and annoyances. gpciii
  • targetmojo10targetmojo10 Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a new 2008 Avalon Limited. Have had it for just over week with about 500 miles on it. I notice a vibration on the floorboard on the driver's side that actually tickles my feet. I admit, I'm hyper-sensitive and a bit neurotic...but it's there. Is this normal? A function of new tires? Has anyone else experienced the same? I like the car, but this is keeping me from loving it.
  • dennyjodennyjo Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2007 avalon xls with 17000miles on it. I am surprised by the amount of road noise that the car has in the interior of the car. Is normal?
    Bridgestone Turanza tires? If so there is your answer. They are crap!

• dragonlorddragonlord Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a pre-certified TOYOTA AVALON '07 XLS with 28000 miles on it and I put about 1000 miles more on it and now I have started hearing intermittently a sort of marble rolling sound from the left back passenger under door to the middle of the drivers side.....any ideas?
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    Hi Dragon, I recall that another poster had a similar problem with his car that he was able to isolate and fix. The poster is Alan S and he commented about it in the Toyota Avalon 2005-2006 Forum, post number 11589. Hope this helps !!!
    Laura
  • bert25bert25 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a used '97 Avalon XLS with just shy of 150K miles. In excellent condition, except on the test drive it sounded like every suspension point was thunking and bumping. Figured it probably needs struts and have an appintment next week, and witht he good purchase price, even a $1,000 would still be worth it.
    Found the Edmunds review site last night and was quite surprised to see that this was a very common issue - and reading this forum, it sounds like it isn't always fixed with struts and mounts.
    My wife an I have an '02 XL and don't have that issue at all. Is this a characteristic of the earlier Avalons,a nd will my mechanic be able to fix it? Other than that it looks to be an outstanding used car. thanks!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Virtually the entire suspension and braking systems on the first generation Avalons were probably the weakest parts of the 5 year run. The front brakes wore rapidly and the struts were problematic. Read all about it in Edmunds.com posts from that time. There are endless comments about the brakes and suspension. All problems can be fixed, however.

More good news is that beyond these issues, and the oil problems that were noted by some members, they were a great run of cars. My '99 XL was near perfect to 90k when traded for an '03 XL. These cars can easily go 200k or more with proper care. Enjoy your Avy... great cars, I'm on my 3rd, an '07 Limited, the best of the bunch in my opinion, all things considered. :)
    Thanks for the encouragement on the 07 Avalon. Bought our first one, a new 07, mid-model. After several Camrys, this is the worst and most expensive car we've had. Sunroof track had to be replaced because of rattling noise in cold weather. Dash rattles too. Electronic transmission shifting, the way it's programmed, is less than stellar, not smooth and reving up in down shifting and during accelerating after down shifting. Gas mileage fair but not as good as expected for combined driving. Lots of cars out there with more and better quality for less money. Will be our last one. Wish we'd bought another Camry. Not a one went back to the dealer for a warranty issue. And drove them into the 150-160K range and still were great running and sold for good $.
    not smooth and reving up in down shifting and during accelerating after down shifting.

huh??? When downshifting the RPM's should increase :confuse:

• amauhryamauhry Member Posts: 55
    For what it costs, the Avalon is a great car. Lots of complaints are based on “cosmetic” issues only. Rattling of dashboard/console components is due to the material used in their fabrication; it shrinks tremendously during the dry winter hence affecting components clearances (everything expands in the summer due to heat and humidity; in winter, the opposite is also true due to cold and dryness). The same happens with the moonroof. I doubt the tracks are ever replaced (that means the entire sliding roof housing has to go for no valid reason). Filling some gaps within that structure and relative to the car’s roof should solve the problem effectively.

The real avy meat should be its mechanical/electrical performance; the heavy-duty stuff that makes my wheels spins efficiently. And the 2GR-FE is a hell of an engine within its class. Many other issues for which complaints have been made, an avid, up-to-date do-it-yourselfer can fix them (including the many minor issues of the Nav system).

Amaury
    ’08 Limited
  • luv2shopluv2shop Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Limited also, currently at the dealership for the 3rd time in the last year. I don't think Toyota cared about the suspension issues with the first generation Avalons since my 07 has the same problem with rattling. I just got a call today to come and pick up my car, they can't figure out where the rattle is coming from. The noise is so aggravating and embarrassing that I won't let anyone else ride in it. If this issue isn't resolved by the time the warranty expires, this will be my 3rd and my last Toyota.
    Well, join the club. For what the pricing is or was on the 07 Avalon, there shouldn't be all the aggrevating rattles and noises, and needs to replace sunroof tracks and modify poorly designed features. Most of us who by the Avalon are expecting the quality we've had in the past in a Toyota and peformance, comfort, and no continuous trips back to the dealer. It's cold weather now and the dash rattles and noises in my 07 XLS are back. I'm over trying to analyze them and wasting time shuttling the car back and forth to the dealer. And, the electronic setup on the transmission shifiting is a joke. All this just reminds me of my resolve to not buy another Toyota, at least an Avalon. The extra money spent over other options I looked at was a waste. gpciii
  • drt2drt2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Avalon that just started making the clanking sound when backing up. Nothing going forward. And the noise sounds like its on the passenger side only.
  • carollee3carollee3 Member Posts: 10
    My 97 Avalon has a trunk noise that I can not figure out. It sounds like the hinge is bad or maybe a strut. Has anyone experieced this and can offer a fix.
  • jondjond Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2006 Avalon limited and it has developer a "jingle" or "clinking" noise in the back seat area of the car. Sounds like it is near the top side of the rear seat. Dealer has been unable to find and fix although they have tried several times. Anyone have anything similar and what was it?
  • dallas14dallas14 Member Posts: 1
    I also have this noise making right turns and going over bumps, sounds like someone cracking there knuckles but I have a 2008 Solara. The dealer replaced the sunroof track but still makes the noise. Did your noise ever get fixed?
  • 06avalonratl06avalonratl Member Posts: 2
    One of the many rattles in the 06. My wife found this one when we were travelling. She took a nap in the back seat and heard it. Found the headliner was rattling at the rear. Stuffed a sock up in between the headliner and roof and it stopped... now if I could only get her to nap under the dash...

I'll never own another Toyota...
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Hello people... I have an 07 XLS and absolutely love the car, with one exception. In cold wx ( approx. 45 degrees and colder ) there is a rattle sound. It actually sounds as if it's coming from the dash board area on the passenger side, but in reality it's coming from the moon roof. I know it's the moon roof because the last time I heard the rattle, I placed my hand on the moonroof and applied pressure.. the rattle stopped.. the second I took my hand off the moon roof, the rattle started right back up again. The good news is (A) this only happens in cold wx, and here in Louisiana we only get 2 or 3 months of wx cold enough to cause the rattle and (B) the rattle only lasts until the heater warms up the car. Once the interior temp warms up, ( 3 or 4 minutes after cold start ) the rattle stops. I think that pretty much shows the rattle is caused by contraction and expansion. Wish it wasn't there but no big deal. The dealer said they could send my car to trim shop where they would have to remove the headliner to work on the moon roof. I declined.. why take a chance on screwing something else up when turning the heater on fixes the problem.

Roland
    I have an 2006 which is a great car. I love everything about it except it also has a rattle which sounds like it is coming from the right front. It only makes the noise when it's cold and lony last a couple of seconds with I start driving. I think after about moving 10 feet it stops. I took it to the local Toyota dealer but they said they couldn't find anything. Still the car is great even with the rattle.
  • ron6ron6 Member Posts: 27
    I suspect it's related to the cold (-19 this morning) but it definitely is the blower motor....it speeds up as I increase the fan speed. Small squeaking sound. Is there a way to get at the motor to see if it needs a drop of oil? :(
  • don_wdon_w Member Posts: 3
    I have an 08 Avalon and have this popping or cracking noise that sounds like it is coming from the dash on the passenger side. Dealer tried to fix it for 2 weeks, still there. It doesn't go away when I put pressure on the moonroof either, and it is there whether smooth or rough road, though as others noted in this forum it does seem worse in colder weather. Did not notice it until about 3000 miles on it. Has about 10,000 miles now.
    Have same thing going on in my 07 Avalon. Cold weather (say less than 40F) is big factor. Have had moon roof fix by dealer which stopped all that noise. Definitely coming from the dash-plastic on plastic-to driver side of glove box. Have not gone to dealer with it. Suspect it's caused by the cheapness of the design vs. poor workmanship and therefore would be difficult to get at and fix. Aggrevating to say the least. gpciii
    It does sound like plastic-on-plastic to me. Have been struggling whether to ask the dealer to work on the dash as I fear that they may just create new noises if they start disassembling the dash.
    I took my '08 Avalon xl back to the dealer this week to give them one more shot at finding this popping or cracking noise, and they seem to have found it! I got it back today and it is very quiet, for now at least. I spent some time riding around in it with a lead technician before I dropped it with them so he could hear it in varying circumstances (over bumps, corners, stop/start, etc) and the noise was not being caused by road bumps; he felt it happened whenever the body had to 'flex' and he felt it was not inside the dash. They did a lot of removing of various pieces and then driving it to see if the noise was still there and that also convinced them it was not in the dash. They eventually found a bad weld in front where the front passenger side fender joins. :You have to remove the fender to get to the weld. They re-welded that area and that seems to have worked.
  • samskssamsks Member Posts: 12
    I also had a clinking noise in my 06 Avalon near the rear seat, sometimes I thought it was coming from the rear deck. It turned out to be the "rods" that counterbalance and help hold the trunk open. I don't know the correct name for them, but you see them when you open the trunk. When the trunk is closed, they were rattling against each other. I could see where there was some sticky adhesive left on them from what appears to be a missing piece of foam tape. Not a great design. I fixed mine with a piece of foam pipe insulation, and a couple of wire ties to hold it on. Took me quite a while to identify it, might be something to check.
  • tourbustourbus Member Posts: 14
    After many tries to isolate the source of this creak, rattle whatever you want to call it I found it while sitting in the passenger seat while the wife was driving. Turned out to be coming from the area between the A pillar and the dashboard. Pushed some cardboard down between the the A pillar and dashboard, eureka, the noise is gone. Have listened to this noise for a year. Hope this helps someone. This was in a 2008 Limited.
  • bruceinmnbruceinmn Member Posts: 1
    Could you share how you exactly put the cardboard down between the A pillar and dashboard. I have this exact rattle and it is very annoying
  • bobby34bobby34 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2013 Avalon. About a month ago, I had trouble getting my fuel door open. It would not release when you pushed it in. I was able to pry it open with a golf divot tool. I was able to push the button inside near the gas cap and it released. The fuel door now releases. I now, however have a slight rattling or knocking sound that you can hear from inside of the vehicle coming from where cap is when you drive 45 mph or higher. Is this something that I should take to the dealer to get looked at. Thanks for anyone that has some advice and information.