Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra/Spectra5 Accessories & Modifications

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited April 2014 in Kia
Discuss the items you're adding to your Spectra to make your ride special.

Comments

• geomaticsgeomatics Member Posts: 60
    After endless hours searching for aftermarket Kia Spectra mods I came to this site... http://www.kia-fx.com/main.htm

They have some cool performance and appearance accessories to Boy Racer the ole Spectra up.

:shades:
  • billmchalebillmchale Member Posts: 107
    You know I don't know why they have to make the front spoiler and lower body cladding standard on the Spectra5 or any other car for that matter. At anything like rational road speeds they have absolutely no impact on performance and they often result in exactly the sort of problem that Edmunds had with the Spectra. If someone wants them I am sure the dealer would be more than happy to install them.. but leave them the hell off of my Car. Both the Spectra5 and the upper level trims of the Toyota Matrix have big strikes against them (imho) because of that stuff.

--
    Bill
    Actually in Canada the front and rear lip spoilers are not standard on the Spectra5. only available as accessories.

Geo
  • loveredcarsloveredcars Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and a new Kia Spectra5 owner -- since June 30. I bought a bright red 5-speed and currently have about 1650 miles on it.

I'm not fond of the spoilers. Will my dealer remove them if I ask him to? I believe they will be a real bother in the snow in the wintertime.

I'm quite pleased with the performance.

The radio 'booms' when I have the base set about 0 and that annoys me because I like to keep the treble down and the bass up. Any suggestions as to a setting that will do away with the boom?

I'm not pleased with the gas mileage. I do mostly interstate driving and the best I've gotten so far is around 27. It is hot so I've been using the airconditioner. I'm used to getting between 30-35 mpg in my 1999 (red) Dodge Stratus 5-speed, so I'm really disappointed that the Kia Spectra5 5-speed is getting so much less.

Will my gas mileage improve as I get more miles on the vehicle?
  • canuckkiafancanuckkiafan Member Posts: 21
    Hey there lover of red cards! Welcome!

I've had my red spectra 5 - sans spoiler - since the end of June as well...have about 1100 km on it now & am really enjoying it. It's handling extremely well and is good and peppy....I could go on & on, but it's nothing that hasn't already been posted here already, so I won't. ;) The last thing I will say though is that I am driving at any given opportunity, for me that says a lot.

I too have noted that my gas mileage has not been as good as I expected either. That being said, however, having read all entries on this forum in combination with that on a few other sites, apparently it should improve once the car is more broken in. Guess time will tell.
    As for the radio booming, not sure what to say. Mine is fine when the LOUD button is off - when on, it's close to earsplitting depending on the volume.

Based on previous comments posted on this site, I'm sure you will get lots of helpful feedback on both these issues.

Anways, glad to hear you are enjoying your new wheels....keep us posted!
    Hey there! Thanks for the welcome.

You said: "Mine is fine when the LOUD button is off ..."

What's a LOUD button?

I know there is a separate manual for the sound system -- I skimmed it to find out how to activate the rear speakers -- but I don't remember seeing anything about a loud button. The volume adjustment knob I'm familiar with, and I don't play the radio so loud that it can be heard outside of the vehicle.

What's a LOUD button?? :confuse:
  • dansf49dansf49 Member Posts: 6
    Where is the loud button on the radio that everyone keeps mentioning?? I dont see it on mine.
  • bwilletbwillet Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the multi-rack for the regular Spectra works with the Spec5, or if there is a different model available to fit it? The Kia dealer hasn't given me a good answer yet...

I'll be buying a Spec5 (silver or black, 5spd) in the next week or two - wish me luck!
  • salmonking45salmonking45 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My wife and I bought a Spectra 5 about three weeks ago. I had sworn off Kia, thinking they were cheap junk until I gave the Spectra5 a chance and took a couple of test drives. It was well built, the doors shut without the rattle I had found characteristic in earlier Kia's, the interior was nicely refined for a car of its class, and there was lots of space. I even like the way it looks. Nonetheless, I knew right away, the low front spoiler would be a pain, having read about it at Edmunds before buying the vehicle. Today, entering an automatic car wash with a track, I got off center, and the spoiler was nudged loose. It did not get knocked off, but the glue holding it on across the front has given away. Before this, I had noticed that the spoiler was attached in a flimsy manner, with the glue, and assumed I'd eventually forget to take an apron slowly and knock the damn thing off.

I'm presuming other people have had problems with the spoiler, what can be done to keep from being such a hassle?

Thanks
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Today, entering an automatic car wash with a track, I got off center, and the spoiler was nudged loose. It did not get knocked off, but the glue holding it on across the front has given away. Before this, I had noticed that the spoiler was attached in a flimsy manner, with the glue, and assumed I'd eventually forget to take an apron slowly and knock the damn thing off.

I looked at a Spec5 at a dealer, specifically the attachment. I saw several screws on the bottom and it appeared it could be removed by backing out the screws. Is this new for 05 (and the 04.5 was glued on)? If I buy a Spec5, I intend to take the spoiler off; I don't want to worry about banging it up.
  • rucronrucron Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was hoping someone could tell me what wheels fit an 05 Spectra5? I'd like to buy a set of used aftermarket wheels and am not sure if I can use wheels for a Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, etc. Are there any fit issues that I need to be aware of? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I think it's a 4-bolt, 4.5 inch (114.3 mm) bolt pattern.
  • herfnerdherfnerd Member Posts: 4
    Have an '05 Spectra5 I bought last August and love the car. Just under 11k miles without a problem until now. I've always been aware of the low front spoiler and have been careful with it, but I was distracted when I pulled into a parking spot and hit it against the low sidewalk. The spoiler itself is fine, but it looks like I broke the positioning pins.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's experienced this problem, but I wonder if anyone has made the repairs on their own? Wonder if I need to buy some new pins and it looks like double sided tape? Want some info before I unscrew the ends from the wheel well and possibly make a bigger problem than I currently have.

TIA!
  • soundguy_99soundguy_99 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,
    Really Considering the 2006 spectra5 if my dealer can find one,
    2 Questions for you guys,
    I live up here on the praries in Canada, where we have some pretty cold winters, with loads of snow. I would like to try and get the moonroof with the Spectra5, however you hear about the horror stories people have with moonroofs especially in winter climates with leakage and breakage ect.
    I am curious if anyone has any insight into the 2006 Spectra5's moonroof's quality related to winter climates.
    Also I was wondering if its included in the 5 year bumper to bumbper warenty or weather it falls into the 12 month accessory warenty.
    Any help is greatly apreciated,
    soundguy_99
    I've always been very, very careful of the spoiler -- then my daughter drove my Spec5 when she was visiting and knocked the front spoiler off the second time she drove it! It was laying on the ground, so I had a friend unbolt the left side and removed the whole thing.

When my daughter left, I took the spoiler to my dealer and he said it couldn't be re-attached. I ended up spending $518 for a new one, installed.

Needless to say, I'm NOT happy about it! The one she knocked loose looked fine to me but the dealer said it wasn't. To top it all off, when the new one came in, they called and I took the car in only to find out that they hadn't opened the box and 'someone' had ordered the rear one instead of the front one.

Sigh.

Two more weeks later, the correct one came in and I had it installed. The next time my daughter comes to visit, I'll let heer drive my OTHER car instead of the KIA.

Oh -- yeah -- she said it was 'my' fault because I didn't tell her the spoiler was so low!

I love her anyway!!
  • kentuckyrangerkentuckyranger Member Posts: 41
    Ah, that's what Daughters are for, LOL! I've had My Spectra5 for about 3 Months and last Week I scraped the Spoiler for the first Time comming out of a Save Allot store. My Sister told Me how much Money I'd save going there and I found it ironic. Save allot, lose Your Bumper...
    It just scraped, no damage just a scuff on the bottom but funny none the less. I did notice they made the spoiler as a seperate peice so I guess it could be removed to make the bumper higher. I don't think I'd own a Spectra 5 if I lived in areas prone to deep Snow in the Winter. I didn't buy the car to plow Snow, LOL! ;)
    Perhaps that is why the spec 5 doesn't come with the fx package at all. Instead we get and upgraded mp3 deck.

bring on the winter!

Geo.
  • spanglespectraspanglespectra Member Posts: 3
    When I bought my 2006 Spectra 5 the dealer gave me an accessory catalog to look through. Since I live on a dirt road, I opted for the mud flaps to help protect the paint. Well I got the mud flaps but as I went to install them, it appears that they are not designed for the ground effect kit on the Spectra 5. Did my dealer mess up and sell me something only meant for the Spectra or is their a trick to putting these things on?

Thanks!

Mike
  • red00lghtred00lght Member Posts: 3
    First post!

I just bought my silver 06 yesterday. Love the car so far. Great pickup and it fun to toss around curves. Wish I had a little more legroom, but I'm 6'7" so that is not an unusual wish!

I've already started the modding. Today I took off the front Kia emblem in the grill, removed the black door protector trim,and removed the Spectra5 emblem on the back. I also had the car tinted. I think it cleaned up the looks of it a bit. Here are some pics!

• lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    ? 67" or 6'7".. definitely makes a difference., hmmm apparently this post doesn't show it?? 5 feet 7 inches or 6 feet, 7 inches.. let's see if this works now..
  • rxmacrxmac Member Posts: 12
    I gotta do this to my silver Spec5! It's amazing how just removing some emblems and adding tint can change this car. It really looks Euro. Or as they would say in the movie SWINGERS... It's so MONEY! Just found out (from my local KIA service manager) that the '05, '06, and '07 Spec5s are (for the most part) mechanically identical. Which means that mods available for '05's will fit 06 and 07's like K&N's Typhoon air intake system (good for 7 more HP, an E-Z install, and doesn't void your warranty). Here's the site: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-5305TP
    There's also a high-flow cat available through KIA-FX's website: http://kia-fx.netfirms.com/estore/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php
    I'm thinking carbon fibre hood and LaMans stripes...
  • 4id4id Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Spectra5 with an auto tranny, and im lookin 2 replace it with the 5 speed manual tranny. Does anyone have an idea where i might be able 2 purchase one???
  • chyv1084chyv1084 Member Posts: 2
    Hey is there any way i could replace the green bulbs with a diffent color bulb? that green is absolutely killing me. yuck! could someone suggest something at cardomain or elsewhere? thanks
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    What percent tint do you have

Steve
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Talk with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America about building the Kia brand in the U.S. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia's quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace.

Don't miss your chance to chat with Ian Beavis, a veteran in the automotive industry the inside questions you want to know.

Please join us for this chat with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America tonight from 6-7pm PT, 9-10pm ET
  • specblue84specblue84 Member Posts: 2
    whats up everyone my name is ruben santos and i bought a kia spectra 5 2006 blue i got it in october of 2006 i got all kinds of mods down to my car that it does not even look like a kia. in one week i will have a supercharger added to it and thats going to be fun to put on
    here are some pictures of my car under my name
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Hi! I checked out your pictures and sent a friend request. Welcome to the forums!
  • debsportage5debsportage5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Anybody have any clue on finding window visors? I have been searching the net and cannot find any that are specifically for the Spectra5. Are the regular Spectra windows the same as the 5's? I bought my 2007 Spectra5 a week ago and am wanting to customize a bit. Getting ready to tint the windows as well. Thanks for any ideas replied.
  • rxmacrxmac Member Posts: 12
    OK, 31k miles later and I couldn't resist doing some work on my Spec5. I started with tinted windows and de-badging a-la red00lght's car. Then I removed the stock ground effects and installed KIA's tuner body kit with cat-back exhaust. I liked the results so much I just kept going... Cold-air induction, larger throttle body, headers, straight through pipes to the center exiting cat-back dual exhaust. Replaced the mags and tires with 18" TSW mags and Hankook performance rubber. Chucked the stock speakers and installed an Alpine head. Replaced the black gauge faces with silver and installed a carbon fibre interior trim kit. Very happy with the results so far. Check her out, pictures on my profile. Thanks to all for the inspiration!
  • tmeyer2005tmeyer2005 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new in-dash dvd/mp3 stereo for my spec5, but i wanted to install it myself... I dont want to pay the guys at CarToys to do it for me... can anyone explain how to take the panel off so i can get to the harness
  • jcj8008jcj8008 Member Posts: 5
    Take medium size screwdriver and insert it between the bezel and the dash on the right side where the vinyl upper dash meets the plastic lower dash. Pry out gently. It will come about a half inch out. Use your fingers and go all around the bezel. It's a little stiff but will come out. The bezel is just a snap in component. Next you have to unplug all the electronics and controls to get thing totally out. Go to StreetKiaz website and you will find many How To's on mods for your car. I wrote a lot of them.
  • superbleedersuperbleeder Member Posts: 1
    I'm probably going to pick one of these up at a local dealer. its an 05 spec5 with about 34k miles on it. :shades:

I've been looking everywhere, but I'm not sure what a nice site is for some modifications. I'm going to start small, cold air, possible body kit if they have it. and also, I'd like to see if they have an auxiliary hookup for the sound system, so I can plug in my zune.
  • kidscarkidscar Member Posts: 2
    My son had a parking lot mishap and the plastic headlight lens was broken on our 2001 Spectra. What is the proper name of that part? I can't seem to locate replacements on any of the auto part websites. Any tips on replacement or difficulty?
  • kidscarkidscar Member Posts: 2
    Never mind, forum people. I realize now that it is part of the headlight housing assembly.
  • tsmith10tsmith10 Member Posts: 1
    Thats a nice interior you got there jcj8008. How much did that cost?
  • jobyjoby Member Posts: 1
    I am having a lot of trouble with the drivers seat. I cant get comfortable. It is too stiff ij the cushion and the back rest is narrow and sooo stiff also . Any suggestions,Im really stressing .250 miles on car and am ready to trade?
  • djuice03djuice03 Member Posts: 1
    how did you remove all of your emblems on the exterior specifically the kia logo?
  • korenglishkorenglish Member Posts: 1
    This is also a project that i would like to do, has anyone gotten back to u on where to get a manual transaxle and all other pieces?
  • dawnmgdawnmg Member Posts: 2
    I have had my KIA '05since Sept. 2005. My early gas mileage was 15mpg. They kept telling me it would improve. Now I get barely 18.5 in town and a big 22.5 on the highway.
    Now I do have the automatic but the sticker mpg was for the automatic and it said I would get 28 in town and 35 on the highway. Now that gas prices are so high, I am a bit miffed.
    dawnmg
  • dawnmgdawnmg Member Posts: 2
    A few days ago some kids rolled a pick up wheel down the hill and and after took out my mailbox, it swerved into my rt front fender. BIG dent and two creases.
    The total cost for repair will be $767 but I have $500 deductible.
    I am looking to buy the fender and metal thinga ma jig that goes around the wheel well since the part is pretty economical. My buddy will come back from Iraq in Nov and he will put it on for me..
    Problem is, I can't find any fenders listed anywhere. Dealer wants $181 but I can get it, if I can find it, for $50 less including shipping. Anybody know where I can find one?
    dawnmg
    :shades:
  • cavjaccavjac Member Posts: 1
    has anyone found a trailer hitch for a 2006 spectra5?
    there are plenty for the spectra but not for the 5.
    curt has one (model 11428) but the center holes do not line up.
    any others?
  • spectra5manspectra5man Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

I am looking to have a roof rack installed on my 2007 Spectra5. Does anyone have this installed or does anyone know of a place that has images of this. It has to be pictures of the Spectra5.

I want to see what it looks like before I purchase it. I am looking for the one that is actually drilled into the roof installed. not the one that clips to the door frame.

Thanks for your help
  • terry_tr6terry_tr6 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2006 and am also looking for a hitch. When you say the holes on the curtis model don't line up, could they be redrilled to fit? I don't mind doing a little machine work up to and including a bit of welding if the hitch can be made to fit without major mods.
  • jschackerjschacker Member Posts: 1
    I was looking to add a hitch to my Spectra5 for a bike rack (I don't want a roof rack). Has anyone found one that will fit the Spectra5?
  • konvikt03konvikt03 Member Posts: 1
    whats the actual link to the streetkiaz website? I've googled it and it keeps giving me a page requested not found....Just wanna make sure I got the right page.,....thanks
  • lth0221lth0221 Member Posts: 1
    Did you already get rid of it??
    Because
    I am missing mine and it bothers me alot.
    Can i have it? perhaps i can pay you 15 bucks?
    seriously.
    ?????? :)
  • Ripp1971Ripp1971 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know where I can get performance upgrades and mods for my car. Looking for Cold Air Intake and Cat back or full header exhausts.. I know the dealer offers a lowering kit for it. I may have them do it to maintain the factory warranty but it would run me like 800$ to have them do it when you include the labor and parts..

My car is a 2008 Spectra 5.

Thanks in advance

Cody
  • havsolohavsolo Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I know this is an old post...I don't know if it'll get a response, but here goes:
    You say you're missing your front spoiler, how did you come to not have it? Was it there when you bought the car? I ask because I'm thinking of removing mine. I think I like the '07s without it better and I am (perhaps naively) thinking that without it the car might be more aerodynamic and get slightly better mileage. Anyway, I'm afraid that it's there to direct air through the radiator. Have you had any problems with overheating? If you had it before and lost it somehow, did your gas mileage change at all?
    I called a some dealerships and have gotten different responses about taking it off. A couple said it'd be fine to take it off and a few said it was necessary to leave it on. I don't know if the couple just aren't aware of the potential problem or if the few are just trying to cover their rear-ends.
    Anyway, any help from anyone who has dealt with this would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, if I end you taking it off and deciding I don't need it we can maybe work out a deal.
This discussion has been closed.