Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• alv1alv1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna and am experiencing these same problems.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I tested my doors' resistance on my arm, and it bounced back without putting too much pressure on my arm, no pain basically.

That is how they should work.
  • rksovisrksovis Member Posts: 5
    Can the power door of the Toyota Sienna's be disconnected, so it could be used like a nonpower door? :confuse:
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    There's a switch on the dashboard of all Siennas with power doors to disable the power door.
    Mack
  • hailskinshailskins Member Posts: 2
    We've had similar issues with our Sienna XLE. Still have issues with the doors (one side wont open from the outside handle), and are in the process of replacing our third (3rd) battery!!! I suspect that there are sensor or circuit issues related to the doors which cause the battery to drain...somehow a switch is left open??? Ours is not directly related to someone in the driver's seat. We can leave a sliding door open for 10 minutes to have the battery drained. Frustrating. I'll ask the same....if anyone has any specific direction we could provide to the dealer (other than relplace our battery again!) we'd love it!
  • todds4todds4 Member Posts: 2
    I can second this problem. Our 2004 automatic sliding door (passenger side) recently stopped working. The $130 diagnosis is to replace the motor and cables (one assembly). The part price?? $1000. Labour is $380. This for a 4 year old car that should last much much longer. You got off easy it appears!

No warranty, no apologies and major run around from two different dealers. I was quoted over the phone a $500 replacement part cost with $350 labour by the dealer (Piercy Toyota San Jose CA) where I bought the car. They looked up the van, then quoted me the price. Of course when I went back to them they apologized, they looked up the "older version" then upped the labour quote to $650. I found it interesting that both dealers had the part in stock. You don't stock a $1k part unless you use it regularly!

I am appalled that the formerly reliable Toyota has come to this. Problematic cars, (I've had several issues with it, and at 60k it's on it's THIRD set of tires) and low ball quotes.

I too will try to take up the $1500 repair bill with HQ, but I am not optimistic.
    If they needed the part as often as you say, it would be out of stock. Think about it.
  • barsevenbarseven Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps now this Japanese car manufacturer needs to learn about quality from the Americans. We’ve had the following problems with our 2006 Toyota Sienna:
    Rapid tire ware…. We’re going on third set at only 55K (warranty extended by Toyota on first set of run flats)
    Front door popping (covered under Toyota recall)
    Sliding door got stuck, and then came off track $3000 damage, dealer claimed only one other instance that they knew of.... rrrriiiight (any word from Toyota on this wide spread and Toyota specific problem?)
    I can’t wait for more Toyota Quality to rear its head!
  • bobostudiosbobostudios Member Posts: 3
    Update:

I spoke with Toyota head quarters and they told me I was basically out of luck. I mentioned the report that had been left in my car and that I had been serviced for the same problem once before. They then told me that they would call the dealer and speak with them about it.

Five minutes later my dealership called and offered to give me a credit for half the cost of the earlier repair. I told them I thought that Toyota should cover the entire cost since this was a known problem. They told me they weren't able to do that unless Toyota issued a recall (which they recently did for the automatic back door).

So make sure you save your receipts and hopefully Toyota will do the right thing and issue a recall for these faulty side doors as well.
  • hailskinshailskins Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the update. I've since been back and forth with our dealer and their claim is that I/we are attempting to open the door from the outside incorrectly, thus, not a problem they can replicate, nor fix (when we incorrectly open the other door it seems to work just fine). What number / division did you contact at Toyota HQ? I'm thinking of pursuing a similar path. When looking through the numerous receipts, we've had this car in the shop at least 3 separate times for door issues.

The battery issue is still a wait and see (on our fourth now in about 3 years). Again, they replaced the battery, initially only at 50% of my cost (prorated amount), but then gave a full refund because I raised such a stink about it. Again, no good suggestions on how to diagnose, just a "well, if it happens again, you know where to find us" attitude. After all this, they still had the courage to ask me if I'd still give them a strong score on their customer satisfaction rating!!!! Too bad I have great difficulty separating product quality from service quality at this point.
  • wood1996wood1996 Member Posts: 4
    When exactly did they issue this recall adn what does it cover?
  • kowalikkowalik Member Posts: 2
    Hello friends,

My 2004 has had trouble with both mechanical back side doors. Drivers side would not close all the way most of the winter, finally after 2 visits to dealer and cleaning tracks it does close, but bareley and seems like matter of time before it gives up and doesnt close again...

Now the passanger door slider doesnt open all the way without scrapping the back metal outside the door ripping the paint off. Dealer said its a bad center hinge and while they are in there a new motor needs to be replaced, for $1700. Then ??? for body work and paint! He told me to try to source a used hinge and motor?!?!? but where? this is Big money for what I assumed to be a bullet proof car. Has anyone had better luck or experience?

My steering is now going out on the car and I just cant believe Im having this much trouble. Any help would be appreciated!

Robert
  • kowalikkowalik Member Posts: 2
    Was it ever in a major accident? Wonder if anyone ever leaned on the doors and may have moved the track slightly.

Any how, peruse the local junk yards, maybe.

You can just turn off the power feature and use the doors manually, if they open and close OK that way.
  • bheylmanbheylman Member Posts: 1
    Where or who can I send my complaint to (Japan office?). I have a 2001 and failed at 113K. Bought the car certified at 51k and have had it for four years. Seems early for an ECU to fail. I guess I should have just bought the Dodge.
    Thanks
    bruce
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The Dodge would have failed at 60k miles. But you can send your complaint to TMS USA in Torrance California. I doubt they'll do anything since you are probably out of the Certified warranty.
    Mack
    File a complaint with the ODI, NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation.
  • vulcan4vulcan4 Member Posts: 12
    TMC CR Division [mailto:ap-overseas@mail.toyota.co.jp]

cc: Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.

From: Tetsuya Otani, Customer Relations Division, TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
  • brucehaywoodbrucehaywood Member Posts: 8
    2005 Sienna?. Nothing but trouble! Three doors have now failed, among other issues! Think if you were in a roll-over and needed to get out. Doors need to work! (1) Front weld problem in driver side door. Repair shop said it was way under-welded. (2) Rear tailgate recall. Another trip to the shop. When the car was brand new, the dealer needed to fix the left sliding door that would not open. They fixed it! Now at mid forties in miles the dealership is asking for a whopping $1,700 to fix the left sliding door cable system - it "snapped"! Toyota customer service attitude could not have been more dismissive. Shame they missed the forest for a few trees! The Sienna is junk. Avoid this car at all "costs"!
  • jrosattijrosatti Member Posts: 1
    I have just had two door issues with my 04 Toyota Sienna XLE within 10 days of each other...The first, I became trapped inside my car when the drivers door would not unlock manually or electronically...I was able to climb out the passenger door but could not open the drivers door from inside or outside the vehicle. My dealership was able to replace the part at a cost of approximately $500. I was 2000 miles over my extended warranty. 10 days later the left sliding door cable snapped and stopped opening automatically. The cable was hanging on the outside. It was frayed and rusty. When I took it back to the the dealership, of course we already new it was out of warranty, They could repair for well over $1000. I did not have them repair it at this time...We are just opening and closing manually. After seeing many sliding door issues on various web sights I have contacted Toyota customer service. I have been assigned a ref# and have been told I will receive a call before end of business tomorrow. Has anyone had any luck going down this path and how many complaints of the same problem warrant an official or non official recall?
    Thanks for your input.
    No experience but I think you're doing exactly the right thing. Be very polite and mention the other issue as well. I bet they help in some way.

Best of luck.
    My sense at this point is that the sliding doors on the Siennas are a recall waiting to happen. Ours have been problemmatic since the first week of owning the car. The dealer wants $1,700 to repair the door. Poor poor quality. We'll use the one door like they did in the olden days!
  • ndeborahkndeborahk Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited with door problems also. First of all, my trunk wouldn't stay open and almost took my head off a couple of times. That was fixed under part of a recall. Then my passenger sliding door could not be opened from the outside and would not stay open when you opened it from the inside. $1800 later, I had the motor to keep the door replaced and a sensor on the door replaced. I called Toyota to complain and they said that they would reimburse me for half of the expense since my husband owned two Lexus and I owned a Toyota. I told him that was not satisfactory. I said that they should be 100% of the charge since it was obviously either a bad design or a defective part. Two days after that, my drivers side sliding door will no long stay closed. So I started checking the blogs and see that Toyota has had many probelms with the 2004 Sienna doors. I am going to call the dealer and Toyota tomorrow. Any thoughts on who else I should complain to?
  • wood1996wood1996 Member Posts: 4
    You can file a complaint with the NHTSA off of defective complaints. If there are enough complaints they have to open an investigation. That's how the back door problem was recalled.
    I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It was a 10 minute process on the web. One of the responders said that that is how the back lift gate piston problem had a recall issued. I urge everyone to file a complaint as soon as possible.
    Dear Kowalik,

Well, yesterday my drivers door started to go for the second time (one of the other recalls for defective welds). We all need to start to call the NHTSB!

I had a similar conversation with Toyota but since we did not own any other Toyotas at this time, the said they would offer NOTHING!. Obviously if you own 20 Toyotas they will pay 100%. This is a discriminatory practice by the way which opens the door to talk with attorney generals office or my State's Dpt. of Consumer Affairs.

The Sienna is pretty but has SERIOUS quality issues which Toyota is not owning up to! Have talked with several other who can't get rid of it soon enough! People need to start speaking out. We're still under 50,000 miles and I will not own this car for the second 50!
    Well, I called Toyota about my second toyota sienna sliding door that failed two days ago. They gave me half of the $1800 it cost to fix my other sliding door that failed last week. When I told them that they should pay for this door also, they basically told me to pound sand. I also called my dealer and they were even more dismissive. I have a call in to the owner of the dealership, but I don't expect him to call me back. I am so upset and angry to have to pay $2700 to fix doors on a car with only $66,000 miles on it. I am also worried that this is the beginning of a slippery slope of repairs. I am now researching other cars and will look into trading this one in. I don't have the money to do it now, but am worried that this is just the beginning of a money pit.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    If you don't get a call back from the owner of the dealership make some signs and stand out front of the dealership with your spouse on a couple of Saturdays and my guess is that they will capitulate fairly quickly.
    Report problems here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If the NHTSA sees a pattern they will force a recall.

My doors are fine, knock on wood, but be sure to register your complaint if you have one, that's the only way it will ever be recalled.
    We just heard back from Toyota. They have agreed to pay for 50% of each door. They think that I should be happy with having to pay $1800 to fix both sliding doors that failed within a day of each other. They told me that if I had had the extended warranty, it would have been covered. I told them that if I had known I needed an extended warranty, I wouldn't have bought the car!

I am writing a letter to Toyota. I am also going to call one of the local radio stations to see if they can help.

I am so unhappy and upset!
  • wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    Who do you think pays for all the Toyota ad time on those station?
    LOL!

Tell you what, you never know, even with an extended warranty.

Mine's in the shop, and guess why? The wiring harness is all chewed up. Huh? That's right, by CHIPMUNKS!

$740 worth of damage, and not covered by warranty since it's not a warranty problem.

Insurance might cover it, but with a $500 deductible it's not worth the claim, so it's all out of pocket.

All due to some rodents. :cry:
    I just filled out the form on the NHTSA site. Outlined the MANY door problems of our Sienna. This was a very easy site to navigate and input to.

Would highly recommend people with Sienna issues to report out on it. As the reader indicated below, if I knew that I would have had five door problems (rear hatch [1 event], sliding door [2 events], one in the first week of owning the car, and driver's door [2 events]) before 46,000 miles, I would not have walked into the dealership in the first place. They've got a lemon and it's time to own up to it.
    Has anyone recieved more than 50% back from Toyota on their door repair bills?
  • socal13socal13 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Folks,
    I've also filed with DOT on-line yesterday. After reading numerous post and other websites. The below post and article in a Dallas Tx newspaper took the prize. It's the story of a Toyota sliding door falling off it's track and hanging by the hinges. Before I post the article I must mention that I also purchaseed my van from a Southern California dealer with 10K miles. At 40K miles the right passenger door which has a powwer motor started making a clicking sounds as it closed. The door is now out of alignment and is rubbing against the body and inside door jam. I bought the Platnum Care 7 year/100K miles and have contacted Extra Care. As most of you know you have to take the van for an inspection first, sign a work order for labor/inspection then the dealer will call extra care (Platnum Care) and if covered will fix the issue. If not I will need to pay for the labor/inspection and the common $1700-1800 to fix the door. I'm :( hopeful my door issue will be covered. Anyhow below is the post/article of the fallen door found on Toyotafans.com

The right door of my 2004 Sienna FELL OFF today! Scratched the paint. The left door hasn't worked for months now so I was waiting for this one to quit. Another lady was on Click and Clack when her 2004 Sienna doors fell off.

link to Click Clack article :
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/classifieds/news/automotive/cartalk/- stories/DN-cartalk_23emp.ART.State.Edition1.36a7af8.html

We need a group effort to get a response from Toyota! The more people that call and complain the better.

Customer Care Hotline: 1-800-331-4331
    Feel free to reference my case # 200806060609 and tell them to build a file on this.

I'll let you know how the repair goes. 2 doors! Shouldn't the doors on a car OPEN even if it is out of warranty? Toyota is not willing to do anything... the dealers say they can't either. Meanwhile my kids have to crawl over the front seats to exit our van. Nice.

Time to shop for a better brand.
    Mackabee,
    I looked at my my sliding door hinges for signs of bolt/nuts movement and can't tell if the bolts/hinges have moved. My door is definetly out of alignment. It rubs and click as it closes. It's to the point that I no longer open it to prevent further paint damage. Please post your quick fix and mention what hinges to look at ?

Thanks, Hector
    Hi,
    Thanks for posting. I spoke to a rep.at DOT this afternoon who stated that every cmplaint would be looked at and investigated. I hope this prompts a recall on the sienna sliding power doors. I also e-mailed corporate in Torrance,Ca and attached a link about an article written to a Dallas, Tx newspaper regarding a Sienna door that have fallen off it's track and was hanging by an upper hinge. A five year old boy opened the door using the inside power button behind the front right passenger seat. :surprise:
  • mw033410mw033410 Member Posts: 5
    I also filed a DOT complaint last week regarding the right passenger door will not open. Everyone with this problem needs to file. Toyota has become more corporate and Detroit like than ever before.
    Update, Traveled to local dealer to have my door checked. Answer from dealer. "Your center mid hinge needs to be replaced." Part $181.00 plus $380. labor. Also filed a complaint with Corporate in Torance,CA which like other post have mentioned could care less. Platnum care stated: Hinges are excluded." I also spoke with 3 diffferent people at Extended Care. Two were heartless the last one Extra Care customer service had some heart and mentioned that at least I was on the right path regarding filing a complaint with Toyota Corporate Torrance which simply will take your report and provide you with a reference #. Big deal they problably have thousands of cases with the same issue. I also spoke with the dealer service manager to no avail ! :mad:
    Folks,
    After multiple calls to extra care, one visit to a dealer,e-mail and calls to corporate and toyota financial services in Torrance I still can't resolve my out of alignment/failing mid center hinge on my 04 Sienna right sliding door. I read a post where an owner obtained and exploded view of the hinge which contains bushings and other parts and was able to appeal her case through Toyota Financial Services. The hinge/parts wears over time and causes the door to clank and rub against the body of the van particularlly in the upper area :mad: near the rear bottom window area by the rear quarter panel. I'm going to obtain a service manual from my library to take a look at the center mid hinge in an exploded view. Hopefully I can build a case with Platnum Extra Care and Toyota Corporate in Torrance,CA.
    You have a B2B extended warranty and they still won't cover it? Sheesh. :sick:
    Thanks for your reply. Platnum has some exclusions. However I'm still going back and forth with corporate. The mid center hinge wears quickly causing the door to rub against the body of the van. It will also eventually cause the cable to snap/break. Check out the following technical service bulletin I found during a google search. No wonder Toyota wants $380 for labor the door need to be removed to replace the mid center hinge. The cable the closes the door uses part of the hinge. Here is the web link to the TSB which possibly only applies to certain vin numbers.

http://toyota.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-07-17_221901_sienna_door_inop- _tsib.pdf

I attached the file in an e-mail and sent it to corporate. My next move is to speak with relations manager at the dealership where I purchased the van. The first dealer referred me back to corporate.
    Good luck.

I guess some people could have their kids hanging on/climbing the doors and abusing it, to the exclusion would be to cover cases like that.

Just try to show that you have not abused the door in any way (if that's the case).
  • sandcroftsandcroft Member Posts: 4
    Driver's side Power Sliding Door jams and does not open from inside nor outside creating a serious safety hazard due to inability to exit the vehicle. Dealership response is to bring car in and pay significant fee (even with extended warranty) for "reprograming the computer" to have the door return to proper / safe functionality. The condition is initally triggered by exercising a safety feature which prevents the door from opening when the gas cap is open. After that safety feature is triggered, there is no way to get the door working again until you visit the dealership and pay over a hundred dollars to get the door fixed. This is on a 2005 XLE Limited AWD. Wouldn't expect to pay to have the doors open!
    That's incorrect.

a safety feature which prevents the door from opening when the gas cap is open

Actually, it limits how far the door opens, i.e. it will not open all the way, but it will open.

An important distinction.
  • bonniebeth4bonniebeth4 Member Posts: 1
    As I have have been reading through this thread, I am wondering, is there any consensus on how to FIX the power doors? I have an '02 Sienna, which now has 100k miles. We bought the car with 60k miles and it has always had moments where we have to push the button a few times before it closes. But now one of the doors is completely broken. I can turn off the power doors and drag it halfway open, but it's a big pain, especially since my kids aren't strong enough to do it. I live in Florida, so freezing temperatures is not the issue. Is there something I can oil or can I adjust the tension on the door to get it working? Or do I just have to go to the dealer and shell out a couple thousand dollars? I'm thinking, next time I buy a van, it won't have power doors.
    Bonniebeth4,
    The door will require you to remove the panel and other bolts/screws/clips to make the adjustment. This of course is if your cable and motor are in one piece and not broken or wrapped around any moving parts. I looked at an exploded view of a 2004 Sienna door and one has to be mechanically inclined to perform the adjustment or replacement of the motor/cable assesmly or hinge. It sounds like you cable is wrapped around something and won't let your door/open or close. Look at a service manual in your library for a detailed look at the inside of your door. Another option is to take your van to a body shop not at the dealer who paint and repair toyota's involved in accidents. They may possibly be willing to obtain parts or adjust your door for less than at the dealer. Make sure that you use Original Equipment Parts for the repair if needed. Good luck and post your results.
  • lifelisterlifelister Member Posts: 4
    The driver-side, passenger sliding door on my '04 XLE, 50,000 mi. minivan just failed. There is a snapped and broken cable/wire hanging out the back. I cannot get the door more than a few inches open by wrestling with it. I have a service appt. tomorrow ($84.00 diagnostic fee) and am researching here before the service tech gives me his thoughts. I was told by service writer this was so unusual he had never heard of it before (Joe at Ernie Palmer Toyota in Jacksonville, Florida). Thanks for all the advice here. I will lodge a formal complaint after I read all the posts here and figure out where to do so. I also got a recall notice on my rear/trunk door. Jeez. I love my minivan but I am a senior widow and cannot afford big repair charges. I bought this minivan for its reliability when my husband was still alive; he was a disabled, double amputee and I needed to haul equipment for him and know the car was safe. I also frequently drive my toddler grandchildren in this car and am now a little fearful for their safety. It sounds like Toyota has a mfgr. defect here that they should own up to and pay for.
    Lifelister,
    Of course Joe at Ernie Palmer is going to tell you that cable/motor problem is unusual. Toyota doesn't want to step up to the plate on this recurrent problem with hundreds of owners. You van is past the 36K factory warranty. The cable that snapped comes as a single part cable and motor. Price at the dealer is about $1000.00 plus 3-5 hours of labor your looking at $1500 to $1700 total. Many cables has snapped and mid center hinge/bracket have worn out causing the door not to open/close or rub against body of van. Believe me I been through the wringer on this one and still need to travel to the original dealer were I bought the van and negociate a repair price with the customer relations manager. I'll give you some hope. You may possibly find the motor/cable assembly cheaper through e-bay or a toyota original parts supplier on the internet. I found the right mid center bracket and hinge for 50% less than what the dealer wanted. Replacing the cable and motor is not easy and requires that the door be removed. Please report this problem to the Department of Transportation so that a recall will eventually be issue as the complaints continue to poor in. There is a link to that website in one of the earlier post. I have also posted a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) in an earlier post. Look at it and see if your vin number matches. toyota put this out because of problems with the door. The dealer will argue that the vin # needs to match and Corporate Toyota will simply refer you back to your extended warranty people or the CRM at the dealer. Good luck and post your results. Don't forget to file with the DOT.

SoCal 13 :mad:
  • lifelisterlifelister Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for info SoCal13. I did post to the DOT site. It has not appeared yet but I have the ODI # and confirmation.