Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• DanCubsFanDanCubsFan Member Posts: 6
    I have the EXACT same issue with my 2004 Sienna. I have also had to replace both door cables and motors totaling $3,400.00!!! These vans are not good. Toyota has fallen from grace and there is no bottom in sight. Thank you for the post. I will get our car to the dealer asap.
  • obrien64obrien64 Member Posts: 9
    Both door cables snapped on our Sienna as well due to the doors being frozen shut and the extra wear and tear on the cables trying to open frozen doors. It is a design flaw there is not a rain guard or gutter on the 2004 Sienna and nowhere for the rain or moisture to go but straight into the rubber molding around the sliding doors. The new moldong kits will fix the problem with the doors freezing shut. But I had our dealership replace both door cables as well due to the wear and tear. Thank God we had purchased the extended warranttee on the big giant LEMON or we would have been out alot of money on all the things that have gone wrong with this car.
  • tillsonburgtillsonburg Member Posts: 29
    Your dealer doesn't know the part number. Could you please look on your bill and post the part number. They have no knowledge of a replacement gasket thea resolves the problem
    Thanks
    Here is the info from my invoice to fix the sliding doors freezing shut problem.
    The part numbers are #62381-AE012 and 62382-AE012 description Weatherstrip. The invoice reads NEC to replace top weatehr strippings with UPDATED Parts LAB OP BD8040, COMBO A. If you call over there the advisor was Sean McCarthy but I also worked with Brian Coster alot on this issue he is the service manager at Grosinger Toyota and I guarantee you they remember me and my frozen doors.
    Just a reminder when I told him about the weather strip recall info I had found on the internet he also checked with Toyota and when they punched in my vin # they were told the new weatherstripping WOULD NOT fit my car. They only tried it as a last ditch effort to get me out of their faces. You will have to be fairly forceful to get them to order it for your car if your vin # doesnt match as well.
    Hope this helps Good Luck!
  • kjwils1kjwils1 Member Posts: 1
    I've been experiencing this problem ever since we got the car, and as you all know it is extremely annoying. Never so much as this morning, however. Running late for a trip to my mechanic for a variety of issues, I encountered the frozen door this morning, gave a good yank, and ripped off the door handle. Oh, and the popping sound on the front door? I had to have mine fixed twice. I too am getting rather annoyed with my Toyota.
    Thanks for the part numbers. I spoke with my service rep at Toyota Town in London, Ontario and they say the weatherstrips are not covered since my warranty has expired on my 2004. He also said that all cars have their sliding doors freeze shut in our winter climates and that these new weatherstrips will start freezing shut after they get dirty and wear in a bit. He said Toyota will never fix a car once your warranty has expired.
    Thats not true as they started replacing engines that blew up with sludge in the oil pans when they finally acknowledge a design flaw in their product.
    Their solution to the problem is to spray the weather strip with a silicone spray made by Worth. He did admit the new 2011 Sienna has a totally different door design. I have not seen it yet but if it does that really says it all doesn't it. It does not matter for me as this was my first and last Toyota I will ever buy. I understand from time to time design flaws occur but in this case they dropped the ball by not recognizing it and taking care of their customer. The recent gas pedal problem looks good on them. It is finally bringing light to the bigger problem at Toyota
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    I am going to bring this van to the dealer again next week. I want to find out why my steering wheel is so hard to turn during heavy rain. I have to restart the engine to make it work again. Any people maybe familiar with car can give me some idea. I am really tired of listening to Toyota mechanic B.S. and try to suck your money dry. I will also try to talk to them about the electric door, seat belt problem etc. ( i know they will say it is beyond warranty etc.)

Never Toyota again....
  • macdukepmacdukep Member Posts: 14
    I have been to the dealer for the doors. First they froze shut EVERY time it got below 20 degrees. Then the one stopped opening completely. It feels like it won't unlock. They quoted over $800 to fix it. Then they asked if I wanted to buy another Sienna and I told them I was not interested in owning any more Toyota products since they would not stand behind this one.

There are many other complaints on the forum and Toyota is denying that it is a defect in the product. SOmeone suggested we all report the problem to NHTSA
    1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E. Room W45-302
    Washington, DC 20590

I have written to Toyota and to the NHTSA. Please do the same. If there are enough of the same complaints someone has to listen.
  • cbird1cbird1 Member Posts: 1
    Both my door cables have snapped. one door I can operate manually the other only opens half way. I have not been able to locate the famous "unfreeze" door button. I have looked for the part (motor and cable because the cable is not sold seperatlly) and I am looking at a min. of 1k. what a rip off. I have taken my car to the dealer several times and the quote goes higher and higher!! I dont know what to do! $3K for replacement (parts and labor) is not a choice!! Have enough people complained in order for Toyota to issue a recall? This is another indication of Toyota's failing QC!
    I have written to NHTSA, but with no answer from them. I have reported the door problem, seat belt problem, door popping sound problem ( welding problem), Steering wheel is stiffed during heavy rain, it works again when you turn off and restarted the engine again. I took it to independent mechanic , they can not reproduce the problem. This is really scary, you do not know when this going to happen.. in freeway, mountain..

I am going to submit another letter to NHTSA and see what they are going to say.
    Toyota has a lot of lobbying power.... money talks I guess... so sad
  • jomarsh124jomarsh124 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 LE, so "only: had to replace the passenger side door cable and motor. Several thousand dollars. Given the number of complaints here and on the NHSTA site, It's obvious there's a major problem with these sliding doors.
    Maybe the Attorney General is a better place to complain if people get no responses from NHSTA. I guess someone has to be in an accident where the lack of a functioning door leads to a fatality for them to care.
    Another possible recall... regarding the power steering problem with the Corolla.

""We have yet to be contacted by the NHTSA regarding what has been reported in the press about a power-steering issue in the Corolla," Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco said. "Should we be contacted about any investigation by NHTSA related to any of our products, we will cooperate fully."

NHTSA has said it is looking into complaints from drivers about difficulty with the steering in 2009 and 2010 Corollas which say they can wander while driving on highways."

I am having the the same problem 3 weeks ago during rain and I have sent my complaint to NHTSA. They have not contacted me yet.... Maybe they will look into it when there is fatality first... What are we ... a bunch of guinea pig ( we pay them to test their product).... Wake up NHTSA.....
    I am really really pissed.......
    Full story:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100215/ap_on_bi_ge/toyota_recall_3
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We all know e-mails aren't always read, or can get caught in spam filters.

Please file a formal complaint here instead:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    Sorry,
    I did file a formal complaint through their website. I think they are just pinpointing certain model and years and ignore others. I think NHTSA should check all the Toyota parts for all the models. Like check all the brake system, gas system, electrical system on all the model and see whether some parts being used on other car models that are not in the recall list. I do not know... I could have dumped this van and buy other brand and go on with my life. It is just that I felt being cheated by Toyota and I do think a lot of you feel the same.
    The more they get reports, they more they're forced to look in to specific issues, especially the more common ones.

I think NHTSA should check all the Toyota parts for all the models

Keep in mind they have finite resources. They need our help to narrow it down - a lot.
  • mommytaylormommytaylor Member Posts: 1
    Today, I filed a safety complaint with NHTSA/ODI for the door not closing. If I slam it really hard, I can get the front latch to engage, but the rear will not close. This is NOT the power sliding door. I have seen this problem posted on the internet in several sites and it is a VERY SERIOUS SAFETY RISK. Thanks to another posting on this website, it is clear that this is a BASIC DESIGN FLAW. Toyota tried to save $$ by selected a metal that rusts and then they coated it with plastic. Over time, the plastic wears and moisture enters. As more time passes, the rust develops and grows. This results in swelling and interferes with the latching. The mechanism sticks and the latch WILL NOT ENGAGE. It looks like Toyota has known about the problem for a long time (since 2000) and they have not fixed it.

Last night, I had to drive a great distance with my child in the van while the DOOR WOULD NOT CLOSE. It was dark and I had trouble seeing well since all of the interior lights were on. PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT ASAP if you have or had this problem. Here is the link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I took this to the dealer immediately because it is a MAJOR SAFETY RISK and they told me that this was an "isolated incident" and they will not cover the repair. I have 80K miles and they said things do wear out. I get that things wear out, but the things that are VITAL TO SAFETY must be ROBUST and cannot wear out in 4 years. This is much different from the upholstery wearing out!! This is a serious DESIGN DEFECT. If they do not pay for the fix, I will be buying a new car that is NOT a Toyota.

Here is what to do to get your door to close until you get it fixed: use a screwdriver in the rear latch mechanism to LIFT the jammed latch UP (yes, it is covered with black grease) WHILE YOU ARE HOLDING THE DOOR HANDLE OPEN. It will probably take a little work to get it up and out of the way, but the latch area must be open. Then you can release the door handle and the door will close.
  • lchicklchick Member Posts: 2
    I am one of the many with a power sliding door that does not function, neither by power or manually. I consider this a safety issue not only because of possible entrapment of my 2 young children who ride in the back seat of this vehicle everyday, but because they must now exit the vehicle traffic side, not street side. And as many of you know, this is a very expensive repair which Toyota will not cover. Our van also has the front driver door weld problem. We feel deceived since we carefully researched vans before purchase, and this vehicle had glowing reports from many consumer and automotive sites. Seeing that complaints to Toyota and NHTSA don't seem to bring a solution, I wrote to Consumer Reports, http://www.consumerreports.org, and was happy to receive a response within a few days. I don't know that anything will come of this, but it is another avenue we could all try. Another option is the Center for AutoSafety, http://www.autosafety.org.
    Did you also file a complaint with NHTSA? Hopefully they see a pattern and force Toyota to cover all these door complaints. The front door problem had to be addresses, for instance.
  • lchicklchick Member Posts: 2
    I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. Thank you.
    edited February 2010
    Actually, thank you. ;)

I've been encouraging people to do that for a while, now it actually seems to be working. Reported problems are up more than 33% since all the attention in the media.
    I had the same problem with the steering on my 2004 sienna when it rained actually when I drove thru a puddle the power steering would go out. so much for safety! They eventually they did fix the problem it has something to do with loose belt. The power steering belt is loose and needs to be tightened or mreplaced the goodyear belts are aweful buy the toyota brand or gates brand belts. See if that fixes the problem. Good Luck
    Silicone wont last nor does Bear Grease nor do the other random band aide and chewing gum suggestions they made over the past few years. I was told this new weather stripping was covered as a replacement due to the design flaw although they went so far as to say they couldnt use the term "design flaw". The weatherstripping change has completely resolved the problem it has been on the car for over a month in freezing weather and the doors have not frozen up once. They are feeding you a crock! go elsewhere to another toyota dealer or demand to speak with their toyota service rep they fixedf mine and they did it for FREE! I agree and showed them at our dealership where the newer models do not have this same design flaw if it wasnt a problem then why did they correct it? UGH I so hate toyota
  • fix_it_againfix_it_again Member Posts: 9
    The lock on the closed sliding door of my 2004 Sienna will not slide to the unlock position. The service manual tells me the first thing I need to do is remove 2 screws that face forward INSIDE the door jam. I cannot remove anything else to get to the lock until I remove them and I cannot open the door to get to them until I fix the lock mechanism. Any thoughts on how to get to the lock mechanism inside the door while the door is locked shut?
    The plastic cover plate can be pryed open with a flathead screw driver.
    There are a number of plastic barbs molded into the cover that secures the molding besides the 2 screws.I would start on the edge at the back of the van moving around the top to the front. You may then be able to see the other barbs and push them back with a screw driver. There are also 4 barbs around the handle. 2 of mine broke but it still pops back in place. Make sure the lock is open other wise the cover is trapped behind it.
    Once the cover is accessible you can manually manipulate the linkages hidden inside.
    I have had the same problem. I have left the screws out so I can pop the cover off anytime so I can operate the door while I release the rear latch mechanisim with a screw driver. There are some little white plastic bushings in the latch. 1 of mine has broken consequently the rear latch is not released when the door tries to cycle open. Toyota replace the motor in my door but never resolved the root cause of the problem...the latch bushings broke. they want $800 CDN to fix it now!
    And I had the extended warranty but that doesnt cover door parts..go figure?
    Sounds like way too many malfunctions with toyota sienna sliding doors to not be a defect. Please complain to them and the government in writing maybe they will be forced to fix it. I had a message from my dealer (same door problem same price to fix) that said they had the 2011 Siennas in and wanted me to see them. WHen I told them that I would not buy a Toyota again based on my experience with this one, they left me a voice mail that said they would take $800 off the cost of a new one since that is what it would cost to fix the old one!
    I would not buy any 2011 Sienna again.. enough with this manufacturer... You would not know what kind of money trap they will have in his one. My other car a Nissan Morano (2009), I have been driven since 2007.. no problem what so ever, smooth and powerful...
  • dunkin2dunkin2 Member Posts: 5
    I agree with you, my 2005 Toyota sieena has the same problem both with the manuel and power sliding door. I can't afford how much it is to fix it because the car is not worth it. Safety is my priority and my two children climb in and out of the car through the hatch. There is definetly something wrong. It happened for a while would work then not then finally both doors didn't work. I was only over 1000 miles on my 75,000 when I took it to a Toyota dealership in Rochester NH and they wouldn't fix it under warranty. Toyota needs to stand by it cars and they are not. I will not buy another Toyota car because of this and am very frustated over it. If we all file complaints maybe they will take it into a recall. Please take the time to complain because if not it's a very expensive complaint.
  • taximom6taximom6 Member Posts: 1
    This morning I opened the driver's side door with no problem, but would not close either manually or automatically. On closer inspection the rear mount has considerable wiggle to it compared to the other door. I discovered that one of the bolts on this mount has sheered off. So the door will open, but not close. Has anyone else experienced this. This is our first issue with our Toyota. Yeah, we have had the frozen door problem in cold temperatures. Not sure how this bolt would sheer off when we only use the door in the electric mode.
  • fix_it_againfix_it_again Member Posts: 9
    I had this same problem last May. The bolts pulled through the sheet metal and the expensive fix will eventually result in the same problem. I posted my solution on May 26, message 269. Here it is:

This sounds like the problem I had. Two of the three bolts on the rear latch of the sliding door had pulled through the sheet metal, preventing the rear part of the door from latching. I used two washers and slightly longer bolts. I left the piece of sheet metal that had pulled through in place to position the bolts. The order on the new bolts is, new washer (slightly bigger than the hole, small cone shaped washer that is actully the sheet metal that pulled through, and insert into hole. The threads start so deep inside the door that you will need longer bolts than what came with the car to accomodate the new washers. Even though I used hex head bolts (easier to get in), and the bolts stick out more than the original, there is room and they do not hit anything when the door closes. I did not weld anything and it just took a few minutes. The door works as well as new. Tools required: star screw driver to remove the orignal bolts and hex wrench set to install new bolts. Tools and part are available at most hardware stores. Since I had both tools, it was less than a $5 repair and stronger than the original.

Good luck.
  • dodong12dodong12 Member Posts: 1
    The first 3 years of owning my 2006 Toyota Sienna LE in Nov 2005 I did not encounter real problems but as soon as my manufacturer warranty expires problems start popping up. One by one.
    1. Front Passenger Door Popping when opening and closing - got fixed because there was a recall on it. Toyota dealership also replaced the 2 shocks on the back door because it won't hold the door when opening. that's the 2nd.
    3. Airbag lits on the dashboard. They said airbag on the driver side is open. They're charging me $2,000 to have it fix/reset. Gosh! I cannot afford it so problem still there.
    4. Two weeks ago, I noticed my RPM went wild up to the red mark while I'm driving 70mph on the freeway and somehow felt a loss on my speed. When I exited, I felt the surge during turnings but no indication on my dashboard for engine or transmission failure. The next day I went to Toyota dealership in Temecula, Ca for check up and after road test with the manager and inspections he advises me that my transmission is about to go bad. Total cost for parts and labor, they're charging me 5k excluding tax. Naturally, I seek for 2nd opinion elsewhere and mechanics was puzzled because there should be messages on the dashboard when something wrong with the car specially engine and transmission. However, they replaced my tranny for 2400 hundred including tax. Of course its a rebuilt.
    Yesterday, is my 5th major discrepancy with this van. my power sliding door quit working. Did I bought a lemon van? Please advice.
    Your case is not common, but it's a reason why I'm considering an extended warranty. There's so much that could go wrong (e.g. power doors).

Technically, a lemon is a repeat problem in the first year, 3 times to be exact.

So no, not a lemon, but you have had bad luck. :(
  • mschiebelmschiebel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 sienna. My problem seems to be different than those posted ie cable not broken, latches working etc. The door opens fine but when the buttons are pushed to close, the door tries to move further back. If you pull the door to close, the door moves one foot, then returns to full open position. I have taken the interior panel off to inspect and find nothing amiss. Is there any experience with these symptoms? Is the computer controller possibly to blame?
    Contact number to complain on these doors on Toyota www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline 1-888-327-4236, there are many technical service bulletins on the door but Toyota isn't fixing the problem.
  • mred1976mred1976 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2006 sienna limited ,Drove 30 minutes and stopped at store. sliding door jamed. returned and told it is broken 1500 for repair . Cable damaged but you cant replace cable, have to replace entire motor and clutch also which was working fine.makes no sense.
    Hi,
    My advice to you is to file a complaint to

I have encountered more problems than you and the Toyota dealer do not care at all.
  • bigpoppa3bigpoppa3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    My 05 sienna sliding door siezed and I was forced to cut the cable in order to shut the door. The Toyota dealer quoted $2100 for the fix which is consistent with other quotes posted on edmunds. I registered a complaint with Toyota and NHTSA both and of coarse Toyota stated that this is an isolated incident and would do nothing for me...sounds like Toyota gave me the same company line they gave the victims of unintended acceleration. This wont get fixed until someone is injured or killed. By the way, the door shut on my child while parked on a hill.
    I spoke with a Toyota dealer mechanic on the side and he said "oh yeah, this is an 80,000 mile problem". He said I am lucky because I got an extra 9,000 miles before it broke (my Sienna had 89,000). I will be "Moving Forward" with the 2011 Honda Odyssey.
    I filed a written complaint with the NHTSA. I also wrote to Toyota. I got a letter back from Toyota asking me to call their 800 number to discuss my complaint. I called a few times, and hung up after 20 plus minutes on hold. Their recording says try their online contact which I also did. I Today I was on hold 60 minutes before a customer service rep answered and said the door problem is not a proven defect so ta ta- you are on your own. All of us with door complaints are on our own unless we can get someone to listen. Since Toyota is inundated with "real" safety complaints" (i.e. sticking accellerators) they are not going to entertain our complaints of sticking doors. But to me it is a safety concern: About a month ago, my drivers side door malfunctioned (after having it to the dealer TWICE for the recalled front door problem). My two sliding doors and hatch would not open (because it was cold and rainy and they freeze shut in those contitions) and the only wan inot or out of the van was the passenger side front door. All of us from front and back seats had to crawl to the passenger door to exit. Now thank goodness we did not get in an accident or have a fire in the vehicle that day or we would have had a lawsuit ! Please keep letting Toyota and teh NTSHA know of your Sienna problems on a regular basis. Maybe one day they will take responsibility insetad of treating us like we are trying to pull something over on them.
    Please keep letting Toyota and teh NTSHA know of your Sienna problems on a regular basis

Yes, definitely, here's the link again:

please everyone who is encountering problem please keep complaining. I called that 1-800- number from Toyota and that gets you no where. What is it going to take for something to be done. My children and family can't get in the car becausee both doors, manuel and power doors won't open. Go on facebook, go to AG, go to National Highway Safety department. Whatever just keep complaining. It's crazy that car doors malfunction like this.
  • 4xtoyotaowner4xtoyotaowner Member Posts: 1
    We had our passenger side power door close 3/4th of the way when pressing the power close button. We had to use the manual override, and was able to close it. We brought it into the dealer which said our 100,000 mile extended warranty did not cover us. Toyota is clever enough to exclude coverage for what the dealer defined as a hinge failure as the warranty documents listed hinges as a exclusion. The dealer said it would be $450 to repair this, I was not happy and ended up paying them $109 to diagnosed the problem of which they lubrucated the door and it worked for 7 months flawlessly, but now is failing again. We still have about 3,000 miles left on the extended warranty, should I try another dealer to see if they come up with a different cause that may covered?
  • katwoman21katwoman21 Member Posts: 1
    I too, have had several issues with my passenger side automatic sliding door. I own a 2005 Sienna and a few years into owning the vehicle, the sliding door, which is supposed to have a safety feature if something gets in the way of it, should it automatically close, would automatically bounce back. I myself, an adult, have stood in front of the door only to have to push myself back because that safety feature did not work. God forbid if my child got in the way and got crushed. I tried to contact Toyota and was basically told there was nothing they could do because the vehicle was out of warranty. We now have the problem with the door not closing automatically and we have to manually help it along the way. I was told by the dealership that they wouldn't repair it because they said because it appeared to the service manager that the vehicle had been in an accident because it had been keyed. They also commented that it probably was my 4 year old son tugging on the handle and that took the door off the track. My child could not open the door if he wanted to. The door only opens and closes now when I manually help it along the way. I am so disgusted by how I was treated and will never purchase another Toyota. This was the first Toyota we ever purchased because of all the great ratings it received. No so great on customer service. I have reported to the Office of Defects Investigation, let's hope they can help. SafeCar.gov.
  • bill_in_cobill_in_co Member Posts: 1
    Last night I went to shut the automatic sliding door on our 2006 Sienna and had it stop half-way. I took it to the dealer this morning and got the shocking quote of $1800 to fix. They have to replace the cable, motor and clutch system. What is this motor made out of? Gold? He said he sees this a lot. We only have 48,000 miles on this vehicle. We have on-going problems with the hatch as well. Ninety percent of the time, it doesn't latch when closed and goes back up. We have to push it down manually to get it do latch. I turned down the extended warranty when we bought this car because I have heard of Toyota's legendary reliability. This car has been in the shop at least 10 times in 3-1/2 years. Anyone who buys this car better buy the extended warranty, they will need it. This is my first and last Toyota. I've had three Nissan's that have all gone 100k+ miles without any costly repairs.
  • bvmurphybvmurphy Member Posts: 3
    We ended up taking ours to Abra Autobody (I'm not sure if that's an national or just regional chain) and they replaced the parts from a vehicle that had been in an accident (not involving the door). The whole thing cost less than $400 and it's worked great for over a year now. After this I would never have my vehicle serviced at Toyota.
  • janmorjanmor Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problems with the passenger sliding door sticking. We bought our van 2 years ago, and have had numerous problems with this. Others mentioned that the dealership said to wipe down, and apply silicone, we have done that and sometimes it works. It is really frustrating havign the kids climb in (not to mention a tad embarrassing.

TODAY....my sliding door fell off the track and broke the back window in the process. Someone told me to check online for recalls, and here I am...apparently this is a problem everyone or many are having. The screws were loose on the part that attached the door to the roller...which someone in here mentioned they found as well. I have had to push the door open manually because the automatic opener wouldn't work. I am so relieved to find that I am not a lunatic!

Check your doors, and make sure everything is tight! I am crossing my fingers this won't be out of my pocket today!
  • janmorjanmor Member Posts: 3
    My bolts were loose, and were discovered by the tow truck driver who had to try and get the door back in its track so he could tow it to the dealership. The door fell out of the track and broke my back window.
    You can change the handle that connect to the door. If you bring it to Toyota dealer, they will tell you to change the entire assembly which cost around 1000.00. I was told by my non toyota mechanic that the cushions(washers?) of the bolts on the handle that hold the door has warn off. I believe that Toyota is using inferior parts to assemble this van. So far i have to spend over 2 thousand dollar to repair this sh?t. I have to repair my power steering arm cushion ( it is a small piece of rubber). I have to replace the entire arm to replace the cushion. It cost me 800.00. Anyway, look for private mechanic to do the job to replace the arm that hold the door. I did mine for $200.00. But also beware that the rubber that wrap around the cable that pull the door will eventually cracked and worn off.
    I have so many problem with this van, you would not believe it.

I will list it again.

1)replace gas tank (recall) and a week after the replace , gas gusted out under the van . Took them around 2 weeks to repair.
    2) replace brake caliper to solve the half a year break pad worn off syndrome of this van. After my repair the break pads last longer than 2 years...
    3)driver side popping noise (recall). Welding came off. I just wonder when will my passenger side door will have the same problem in the future.
    4)light bulb burned out.
    5) replace seat belt of 2nd row. (recall)
    6) driver side automatic door will not work. replace the arm that hold the door but eventually the rubber that wrap around the cable that pull the door worn off and came off. The door is still working but with louder noise from the friction of the bare wire when we use it. I hope it will last until i have money to buy a new van.

recent problem.
    7) driver side seat belt is hard to release. Brought it Toyota, hoping because of safety issue that they will repair it... Big NOOOOOO.. it will cost me 300. to fix.
    Not fix yet
    8) notice there is a brown residue inside my radio window, I think something is burned inside. Out of warranty.

ON and ON ... this is a piece of junk that put together with cheap parts. Ironically, these parts that are either worned off or broke off cost very little to replace, if they design it correctly. But toyota has to make it impossible to repair unless you replace the entire assembly...This is all because of money $$$$$$$$$. I am used to be a Toyota lover... not anymore.........
  • humby3humby3 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. Both slider doors were not working because the cable broke and we did not want to pay $1600 to fix each door. We were using the doors manually. Today, I put my kindergartner and her two friends into the van after school. I pulled the slider door shut. I am guessing the slider door apparatus jumped the channel/track it was on and smashed into the back window. Broken glass everywhere, screaming children, the slider door hanging off the van. Very scary and unbelievable. I had to have the car towed and the tow driver couldn't believe it. He had me sign a damage waiver because he was afraid the slider door might come off in transit to the dealer. Has anyone dealt with this? Of course, my warranty is up but this seems like a defect in the car.
  • klimistklimist Member Posts: 5
    I just submitted my complaint to the NHSTA website. My driver's side sliding door cable is starting to fray and makes a grinding noise. The dealer quoted me $2028 to fix. That will be over $4k after the other door goes. I have a 2005 with 55k miles. Yes these doors get a lot of use but if the cables were designed to wear out after 5 years/ 50k miles then it should have been designed with a cheap fix, like brake pads. I have not had it fixed yet. I will check with my independent mechanic as well.
  • bigpoppa3bigpoppa3 Member Posts: 2
    I posted an add on craigslist for a toyota certified mechanic and he quoted me $800-$900 with OEM parts. This at least denies Toyota delaerships the service revenue and perhaps they will also pressure Toyota into providing a recall so they can benefit from the service revenue. After it is fixed, I will be purchasing a Honda. BOOO Toyota!