Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• kgriebellkgriebell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 (identical to the 2006). Both my sliding doors broke and and my 7 year old can't open the door.

I have a quote from Toyota for the first door -- $1,800. I am furious they will not fix this defect on a complimentary basis.

Who do I contact? Consumer reports? National Highway commission?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Call Toyota's 800 number, and see if you can plead your case.

Be nice, trust me - I used to work at a Help Desk. You get more bees with honey. I wouldn't be surprised if they at least offer to pick up half the tab, maybe part or labor. I doubt it'll be a free fix though, otherwise why would anyone ever buy an extended warranty?

Then report the problem to NHTSA's ODI online:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/

Click File a Complaint.
  • alhockalhock Member Posts: 6
    Ours sliding doors finally went out a year ago as well, and we've been nursing it for the past year. But as of last week it doesn't open at all now. We took it to the dealer today. They are replacing our seatbelts that are stuck--a few years after the recall was performed I might ad. (Did they even repair it correctly the first time?). I'm waiting to hear what they will charge to fix the sliding door.

On another issue, I noticed someone video taped Toyota's faulty weld on the driver's door and posted on YouTube. It got 40,000 hits. Then Toyota announced a recall. Someone should do that for the sliding doors. There are 500 posts on this website about sliding door problems. Someone should video tape their problem and post on Youtube.
  • macdukepmacdukep Member Posts: 14
    re: Youtube- GREAT IDEA! My guess is your door will be between 900 and 1,000 dollars. I got mine repaired at my own mechanic for about $280.00. The latch (original) was plastic and the replacement he ordered was metal.

My driver door broke once and I had my mechanic fix it (before the recall) then after the recall they "repaired" it for free... it stuck closed three times after the dealer repaired it.
    Here's a link to a YouTube video (with 46,000 hits) that someone posted a few years ago about a faulty weld on the driver's side door on the Sienna...then magically, Toyota did a recall. Wow, how 'bout that! If someone could post a video of the sliding doors problem on YouTube, I think this could help us all. Anyone got a Youtube video of the Sienna sliding door problem? YouTube Sienna Defect Link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9XlOA4mhd8
  • dk2005dk2005 Member Posts: 1
    My two sliding doors on my 2005 Sienna van would not open yesterday. Don't think they are frozen (that does happen A LOT, but usually unfreeze after being in warmed-up car for awhile).
    Today, they still won't open. The alarm was sounding that they were open, and then the "open door light" was not coming on, but alarm was still sounding. The door locks are clicking normally when I lock and unlock the doors, and the sliding door main switch is showing red. I pushed on the door to make sure it is closed properly, and heard it click. Again, tried to open the doors, and still no luck.
    We also had problem with the driver's door welding; popping sound. My mechanic able to fix it, for now, but want to look into getting the passenger door fixed because I understand the defect is in both doors.
    Very frustrating to say the least.
  • occasitaoccasita Member Posts: 5
    I am one of the people here that has had the motor in the sliding door of their 2004 Sienna break. The people at Toyota have done nothing but ignore this issue. Maybe if we could get someone who can do video editing to compile lots of short shots of the broken doors, then make a video of it and post it to YouTube we'd get some attention. At this point I have cut the cable to the broken motor and use the door manually, but it is heavy and will slide back if we are facing downhill (I live in a hilly area). Not safe.

Boo to Toyota! I used to be a fan, but now that we are looking to replace one of our cars we are looking at Hyundai and Ford.
  • carofthedaycaroftheday Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    Our automatic sliding door is not working at 55,000 miles. The Toyota Company refuses to pay to fix the sliding door. I am surprise with Toyota ’s reputation that the automatic sliding door has stop working. I am very concerned about the automatic door not working. Right now the door is on manual. It is very difficult to open and close for my family. My spouse and my hands hurt when we pull to open and close the sliding door. Our three kids are unable to open and close the door on their own. I am very concerned because God for bid if we were to get into an accident my kids may not be able to get out. If anyone else has the same problem and/or knows of an inexpensive fix, please let me know.
    Well, the warranty is just 36k miles. Did you ask if you could buy an extended warranty and have the door covered retroactively?

Thing is, some folks paid for those warranties, if everyone gets the same fix, what exactly did they pay for?
  • tc2903tc2903 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I've a 2009 Sienna LE with 100k miles. As you can see after I pressed the open button on the remote(or either of the two buttons inside the van), the top of the door just pops opened a bit. The bottom of the door is jammed/stucked against the body, thus preventing the bottom to pop out too and allowing the door to slide open. But if I pull on the outside door handle with a little bit of force, the door operates normally. The problem started to happen a few weeks ago when it started to get cold here in the northeast. I lubed the front and rear lock mechanisms, and I took off the 'L' bracket located on the inside bottom left of the door. Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring more than 50% of the time. HELP? btw, once it only popped open a little, I can't close/open from the inside/outside unless I first push the door back in from the outside.
    CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
    My suggestion is to video tape it and tell everyone you know on Facebook, etc to view it so it racks up a lot of viewings. Someone else did that for another Sienna defect and it got 40,000 views. Toyota coincidentally did a recall after that...check out the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9XlOA4mhd8

Here's one with the sienna sliding door defect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGC9V0Jx9E
  • tillsonburgtillsonburg Member Posts: 29
    To me it looks like the door was frozen shut and once you opened it it work ok.
    Mine has done this. I have tried silicone, dry lube and that has not done the trick. I was sent this suggestion but have not given it a try yet.
    "Prevent car doors from freezing shut with cooking spray! Spritz cooking oil on the rubber seals around car doors & rub it in with a paper towel. The cooking spray prevents water from melting into the rubber"
    Worth a try.
    Careful - petroleum-based products can damage rubber seals over time. I'd use something like lithium instead.
  • jivanijivani Member Posts: 1
    My driver side sliding door's cable was broken in Jun 2009. I went to dealer and they quote $1800 to fix the door. Then I went to local mechanic and fixed it for $1000. Last week, my passanger side's sliding door's cable is broken. It looks like I will spend more in repairing my car than my original purchase price. Now I have decided that my next car can not be TOYOTA.
  • tillsonburgtillsonburg Member Posts: 29
    Cooking oil is a vegetable oil from corn or olives thats why you can eat it. It is not a petroleum based oil!
    Here is a short list of 3 videos on YouTube of people with similar problems as us. All are different owners. Please spread the word and view the videos as much as possible so we can increase the pressure on Toyota to do a recall--for our mutual benefit! Or post a video as well! Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=conzvuAcF6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3fxJ4ZkTeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGC9V0Jx9E
    Still, doesn't it damage natural rubber seals?
  • verv1verv1 Member Posts: 2
    We also experienced the same failure in our R sliding door in our 2004 Sienna. A strand of the Cable came loose and jammed the pully mechanism on the door. I pulled the offending strands from the pulley and gave it copious amount of WD40 and moved the system back and forth until I can get some movment. I can now open and close the door manually but with much effort. The electrical does not seem to work any more.I also believe this to be a SAFETY ISSUE How do you open a jammed door in an emergency ie submersion, fire etc.
  • siennafromhellsiennafromhell Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me twice. I paid for the repair out of pocket the first time, the second time, the part was still covered under warranty, so Toyota had to pay for it and they had to send my vehicle to the body shop to repair the damage that the faulty part had caused.
  • ihatemysiennaihatemysienna Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Folks,
    I purchased a 2011 Sienna in November 2010. Almost immediately, I began experiencing intermittent issues with BOTH rear sliding doors, where they would not open automatically (either with my hand, or by pressing any of the number of buttons one can use to open these doors). It would open about 1/2 inch, issue a high-pitched electronic sound and then stop. The only way to open it at that point was manually - but it only opened in jerks and with great difficulty. Once the door was open all the way, the only way to close it was with the same difficulty. I brought it to the dealer, who politely told me they could not duplicate the problem (of course - it was intermittent!), and they sent me home with my car. The issue kept intermittently reoccurring. I brought the car back again, and insisted they keep it for a period of days and try (and I mean really try) to duplicate the problem. They willingly agreed, and they gave me a loaner car. They apparently tried for several days, with no success. They even called a Toyota rep, who told them he had not heard of this issue, but gave them suggestions of things to try in order to duplicate. Finally, on about the fourth day - success! They duplicated it and got the "error code". I was told it was a problem with the motors. I was a bit suspicious, as I thought it odd that BOTH motors would be defective. In any event, the car went back in early January for the motor replacement. Unfortunately, the day they replaced the motors, the Toyota rep called to tell them that they discovered that the motors are NOT the issue - it is, instead a computer problem. They are now working on getting whatever necessary replacement computer parts (sorry - I'm not a car "techie" so I don't know correct terminology) needed to fix this (hopefully) for good. I understand the parts will be available in late March 2011.
    In the meantime, all power doors in my vehicle (including the rear hatch door) stopped working in their entirety and would only operate manually. Unfortunately, the left rear passenger door got stuck in the OPEN position in my driveway. We finally forced it closed, but I took the darn thing back to the dealer the 3rd week of February, and have been in a loaner since then and will be in this loaner until they fix the car.
    My dealer is wonderful, by the way. They have been helpful and patient and, most of all, persistent, throughout this process. They truly want to see this problem FIXED. (They are Balise Toyota in West Springfield, MA. Great people to work with!!)
    For all of you who have been struggling with the same issue with no help from your dealers - show them this post! Toyota corporate is COMPLETELY aware of this problem, and you should not be told otherwise! According to my dealer, I am apparently the "pioneer" for this issue because my car was the first one for which Toyota correctly diagnosed this issue. Also, please know that my dealer told me they are dealing with this with several other people who bought their Siennas there. You are not alone!!
    Thanks for reading this very long-winded post. I wanted everyone to know that a fix is coming - but you will probably need to inform your dealers. Good luck to all!
  • ccmmillerccmmiller Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sienna....8 months ago had to have both sliding door panels replaced because doors would not open from the inside or the outside. 8 months later the passenger side slider got stuck open and I had to tie it shut to go to the dealer. Unfortunately it was a "different" problem and now want $1,000+ to fix it to open manually or $2,300+ to fix it to automatically as it should!! For real?? I only bought a brand new Toyota because I thought they backed their cars!! What a joke!! They said there isn't a recall yet but it is a re-occuring problem - what do they need a child to fall out or get stuck in after an accident?? I don't think they will recall it because they know all of us who own them have children and HAVE to have it fixed for safety reasons!!! NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE A TOYOTA!!!
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    I am have the same problems with my 2004 sienna. They did not help at all.
    I am having problem with my driver side seat belt, hard to release after you stop?, they are asking for 400 dollars. They do not have any safety in mind.

These are only some of the problems...

Take to the local mechanics and they might be able to fix it cheaper.

Good luck
    My suggestion is to take your van in for the passenger seat seat belt recall and politely ask them to fix the drivers seat belt as well. It's ridiculous that they don't include all the seat belts in the recall. We did exactly that and got all our seat belts replaced (except the back row).
  • sam4205sam4205 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Hi Jjllcal,

Can you please provide more details on the Latch/Hinge (L shape metal) that you are referring to.

I just recently bought used Sienna and both the doors are not closing. they try to close but it opens again before it latches to the lock. I look into the rails and it seem that the plastic coating/cushion over the metal rail seems to peel off and might be causing the door to open again.

I am speculating your mechanic would have replaced that rail, but not sure. If you have additional details like the part number/photos etc, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • u_s_au_s_a Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if the statement below from the 2011 Sienna Owner's Manual (page 70) is related to the problem you see on your Sienna, but here it is:

"When the power sliding door detects an abnormality and stops operating, power sliding door brake function may be activated. When brake function is activated, door movement is restricted by the brake and motion may appear to be not smooth. This is not malfunction. Move the door to fully closed position to reset the system and normal power sliding door function will resume"

Hope your issue will be fixed soon.
  • pk9501986pk9501986 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having issues with the driver side automatic sliding door. I have approached Toyota and they have said since it cannot be duplicated it will not fix. I have an inspection guy coming to take a look at it but don't have any hope that anything will be done. Here is my video that I had provided.

What can I do if they can't repeat it and I go on with this possessed, phantom door? :sick: :confuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke6C98uhQ3Y
  • tsvi1tsvi1 Member Posts: 2
    I represent a client who had a 2005 Toyota Sienna and has also had to fix both sliding doors. He is considering legal action.
    edited March 2011
    Replying to pk9501986:
    Please see my post #529 from last week for details, as it sounds like you are having the problem I had with my 2011 Sienna from close to the day I bought the car in November 2010. Toyota is ABSOLUTELY aware of the problem. I should go back and update my post, but I'm not sure how. It turns out that the problem is a defect in the motors and NOT a computer problem, as I had been told in February. It took a bit of time, but Toyota apparently redesigned the motors; my dealer received the parts and replaced both sliding door motors last week. I am hoping the issue is fixed for good, but time will tell. I don't know where you are, but you should ask your dealer to contact Balise Toyota in West Springfield, MA to discuss this. I believe they have several customers with the same issue. They worked VERY hard on my behalf to resolve this issue with Toyota. Good luck.
  • wythehsuwythehsu Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    I have exactly same problem on my 2011 Sienna.
    Below is the e-mail I send to Toyota. The e-mail was sent 24 hours ago and they have not respond yet.

I just bought a 2011 Sienna last Thursday (3-31-11). At the time the Salesperson walkthrough the vehicle with me, the door jammed. The door opened about 1/2 inch, making a high-pitched electronic sound and then stop. I have to push door very hard to close it and the door them back to work. At the time, the saleperson explained to me it's because I did not open the door correctly. I took the car home that night and then on Saturday, the door jammed again. I took the car back to dealer and they can't duplicated the problem. I google search "2011 Sienna Sliding Door Problems", and found many people has exactly same problem with their 2011 Sienna. Please advise if Toyota has aware of this problem on 2011 sienna, and please advise if there is any up coming service bulletin for this issue. Thanks
    As I said in my previous posts, Toyota IS aware of this problem. Do not let the salesperson convince you that you are the problem - you are NOT the problem!! The issue here is that the motors in these 2011 Siennas are defective. My dealer has (hopefully it is "had" at this point...) several 2011 Sienna customers with the identical sliding doors issue. My suggestion is that you print this posting, bring it to your dealer and insist that they deal with this issue. Have them contact Balise Toyota in West Springfield, MA. Ask for the service manager or the customer relations manager. They are all aware of this problem; they worked very hard to get this fixed for me. Keep pushing until they fix this for you...at their expense, not yours! Good luck.
  • wythehsuwythehsu Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    Good morning ihatemysienna

I will bring your posting to our Toyota dealer.
    Thank you for step forward and make Toyota to reconize this issue.

The slidind door is the only complaint I have with my Sienna so far. It's roomy, easy to handle, and has all the gadges we need. I traded in my 2009 Odyssey EX for this V6 Sienna LE, and I I don't miss my ody at all.

By the way, are you still hating your sienna after the door is fixed?
  • cheranecherane Member Posts: 8
    We might think about having a facebook page on this issue of the sliding door to call on the public to rally for all of us who have this automobile. I own the Toyota Seinna XLE.. at seven thousand miles my sliding door went out.. no use at all and only myself driving or in the car. I took it to be fixed and they told me to go back to the dealer I bought it from..now I have 30,000 miles to never have use of the door. Sad..and shame on TOYOTA. I' seventy years old so what kind of damage could I possibly have done to this automobile to be stuck with a bummer. I gave up a HONDA odessy van for this one.. :confuse: for I had also own a toyota from 1991 through 2994 when the hurricanes took it away from me.
    Answering wythehsu's question as to whether I still hate my sienna. NO, I don't hate it anymore! I regret using that for my screen name. I did it out of frustration because of the problems I'd been having. I tried to change it, but once you set up a name, Edmunds won't allow you to change it, unfortunately. I actually really like the car for all the reasons you posted - roomy, easy to handle, and it has everything in it I could possibly want. I love the power and the all-wheel drive. Great car...I just wish the door issues had not left such a bad first impression. I have owned many Toyotas and never had one problem until this one. I hope my postings will help you get what you need from your dealer. To everyone experiencing the sliding door issue I described in my previous postings - insist your dealers take care of this problem. IT IS A KNOWN PROBLEM, AND THERE IS A FIX!!! Good luck.
  • frustatedownerfrustatedowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna, I have had multiple problems with my power sliding doors. I have had to replace one motor on the one of the doors and now the motor on the other door has also gone out. Each time to have the motor replaced is $1,000.00. I have not yet fixed the second door. I will never buy another vehicle with power sliding doors. You can get them open in the winter (freezing) and even if you try it puts too much strain on the motor. I find myself turning the power to the doors off in the winter and using them only in the summer and still both of the motors have gone out.

UGH!!!!
  • tsvi1tsvi1 Member Posts: 2
    My client also had his motor replaced on one of the doors of his 2005 Sienna. I believe the motor is the primary problem. If you would like to discuss this further and I can tell you what I have learned or if you would like to consider legal action, please e-mail me at tsvi@aol.com.
    I personally think it's going to take a lawsuit to get Toyota to do anything at this point. What have you learned?
  • busymomof4busymomof4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I own a 2007 Toyota Sienna LE....we bought it just 2 1/2 years ago. We only have one power door with the button to open and close it....the other is manual but has the motor in the back to pull it in closed. Ever since we got it the passenger side full power door has worked intermittently. One day it works just fine, then one day you have to manually open the VERY heavy door for no known reason. Its not consistent as to when it doesn't work like cold vs hot or rain vs dry....you just never know. The back motor hasn't given us a prolem until recently. However, the drivers sliding door has given us tons of problems. We bought it in August of 08 and in October my mother-in-law was driving down the street with my 4 kids to go to the park when out of nowhere the glass shattered!! NOTHING hit it! It scared the kids and her. At that time I called Toyota to see if there was a defect or recall on the doors but they claimed there was none. So I ended up using my car insurance to replace that. Then recently the motor that pulls the door in on the drivers side sliding door just stopped working....I was driving when it flew open! Luckily I had a bungee cord with me to hold it closed. When it first stopped we were able to push the back end of door in, but then it just stopped all together. Right now it is duct taped shut on the outside with a bungee inside!! Then just yesterday we were closing the passenger side slider....we pushed the button and it closed but again the back motor would not grab it and pull it in....for the moment we are able to push it in to get it to "catch".
    Recently, I decided to my own looking and found numerous complaints about the motors on the sliding doors....starting from models years ago. I was surprised because as I said Toyota said there was NO problems at all with the sliders. I do plan to call a dealership today to inquire again. But really what am I supposed to do...the van is the only car of our two that is large enough for the family as my husband drives a much smaller car for his commuting. I plan to trade it in soon....and because of this my car is worth $4000-$5000 less on trade....frustrating! At this point I can't even recoup the amount of our down payment from 2 1/2 years ago....and I was told the Toyotas "retain" there value. If I can't get this fixed I will be forced to consider legal action. My van is no longer safe to have my children in or their friends. :mad:
    Any input from anywherer here is much appreciated!
  • bubuleyabubuleya Member Posts: 1
    I am having same problem as many other people. Door is working when I use handles inside and outside but it does not work when I use any of 3 power buttons.
    Tomorrow (APR-22) I am taking cat to a Toyota dealer to see what is going on. I also called Toyota customer service and filed complaint. Everyone should do the same by filing official complaint to Toyota.
    I think your van has same problem like my van had, I have fixed it myself by replacing a part from motor assembly. (Dealer was charging me $1200 for fix). I could help you with reasonable charge if you are here in Indianapolis, IN. I don’t know where you are? It is hard for me to explain everything step by step what I did. Any way good luck.
  • nana1427nana1427 Member Posts: 18
    My passenger sliding door will not open if I push the buttons, but if I lift the handle inside or out it works fine slides as normal. I have it at the shop today, they just called and sid it needs a motor for over $850.00, I asked them to look at it again because the motor works fine, there is something that catches the door keeping it from opening. I also had to replace my battery due to this door problem a month ago, it did not latch and ruined the battery. I am really upset over this, it is a real safety hazzard!! If anyone has an idea to fix this problem, please let me know. I will contact toyota about it also.
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    I do not think it is the motor. If the motor is bad, do u think it will close at all?It could be the hinge that hold the door from the body. It happened to me and I have to replace the hinge. The cushion on the hinges has worned off and it is scratching the body of the vehicle. It cost me 250.00 to repair (not from the dealer). They always blame it to the motor or the entire assembly.

Good luck.
  • nana1427nana1427 Member Posts: 18
    Thank you for your info, I have my husband checking it out now, the dealership told me today that there are 2 motors in the door and one does`nt work. It still does not make sense, your explanation makes more sense! Thanks, hope it works.
  • kristygkristyg Member Posts: 6
    caroftheday... I just bought a 2005 Sienna and am having this problem with one of my doors. I am located in Indy. Can you help me? Any information would be a appreciated.
  • jescal75jescal75 Member Posts: 1
    Do you happen to remember the part number we are having the exact problem door closes sometimes scratching body of thte car figured it was the hinge
  • socal13socal13 Member Posts: 14
    hi Jescal,
    I do have a part numbers for the middle and upper right hand side power sliding door on my 2004 LE Sienna. You have an XLE and chances are it will be a different part number. Any Toyota dealer will provide you with the correct part number. A friend of mine who works for an Auto Body and Paint shop installed my two hinges for free. I bought him breakfast and also helped. Dealer wanted $500.00 for parts and labor. I paid about $120.00 for both hinges. Hinges do not come painted the color of your van.
    I want to inspect your door first, maybe it is different problem. Could you come to 56th and Lafayette Road at Marathon (Hoosier Pete) gas station at 5:30pm today? If you will not respond for this by 5:00pm then I won’t be there. Let me know what color van you are driving?
  • kristygkristyg Member Posts: 6
    I can't today but maybe later this week? I'm in Greenwood, so a little further south would be helpful if possible. Thanks much.
    Sorry, I won't be able to come south, I am kind of busy.
    But weekand is fine if you want to come to the same above location, let me know what time you are coming? Thanks.
  • yourmammayourmamma Member Posts: 1
    One of the two back hinge bolts (holding the door to the sliding mechanism) is broken and now the door is sagging and blocks the door from closing properly. Does anyone know how to fix this without having to take the entire door off. The local body shop said they'd do it for $800 (gasp!). It is just a broken bolt. I can see the problem but don't know what to do. The door sag is about 1/4 inch but it is enough to hinder the door closing and is slowly slicing the paint off the top edge of the body just where the mechanism rolls in to pull the door inward.
  • socal13socal13 Member Posts: 14
    yomama,
    Unfortunately you will have to remove the door to replace the middle hinge. I recommended replacing the upper hinge while your at it also. I have a technical service bulletin (TSB for the 2004 Sienna) that shows how to replace the hinge and motor assembly. My friend and I replaced both hinges upper and middle hinge in about 3-4 hours. The TSB can also be found possibly in post # 43 in this forum. Look for it or google it.