Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• hainesmamahainesmama Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. We're through with power doors. We'll give it a try.
  • hainesmamahainesmama Member Posts: 3
    I've spent some time reading through the Sienna door problems forum and it strikes me that these common problems will never be addressed by Toyota unless they are forced to do so. I am not an attorney and I've never been involved with a lawsuit, but this seems like an instance where a group of affected consumers could form a class and work with a lawyer to reach out to others who have had the same problem. Do you know of anyone who has looked into this possibility?
  • nana1427nana1427 Member Posts: 18
    I have not looked into this but it seems reasonable, it would be great if a lawyer had the same problem and would investigate our problem and bring it before Toyota. I still have hopes that Toyota will address and fix the problem.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    File a complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If they see a pattern of problems, they can force a recall. A door that won't open would certainly qualify.
  • valorvalor Member Posts: 1
    Make a complaint through
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

and with enough complaint it will force Toyota to recall.
  • romeindustromeindust Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I am sure a Toyota dealership would be glad to help. Have you tried the "sliding door manual release" for your model? http://i.imgur.com/5jA6R.jpg Cutting the cable will only destroy a part of the vehicle and is a hack repair.
    Hi, Thank you for your concern, I really appreciate your advice. I have talked to my dealership and they inspected the problem, saying it would cost over $1,000. to fix it. I contacted Toyota hoping to have a recall soon.

Again thank you.
  • ih8toyota2ih8toyota2 Member Posts: 1
    We just came back from the dealership after having been told that to fix the right sliding door and lock will be $1,600! This is the second time our 2007 Ltd has cost us serious $$$. The last time, it was the left side. However, these issue with the Power Doors has been ongoing and intermittent since we bought the van. I decided to go on-line to see if there is anyway to fix this problem myself, but it would appear I'm stuck. I think a class action lawsuit against the company is in order...how else will they ever be forced to deal with this issue?! This was my 3rd Sienna, but it will be my last.
    I feel for you and numerous others with the same problem, I have the problem too. I just encourage everyone to file a complaint with Toyota, this has been going on too long!
  • seacreatureseacreature Member Posts: 1
    Thank you guys, I made my complaint. Hopefully someone in OSHA or Toyota start paying attention to this Door lock problem. toyota charges $700 to fix and say warranty over after 30K miles. This is a serious defect and should be recalled.

Thanks
    Sean
  • maurapmaurap Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The doors operate properly. My 2 year old daughter got her trapped leg removed from the sliding door by the fire department. Her leg was cold and turning blue before it was removed. I believe if she was stuck much longer she may have lost her leg.
    My 2 year old daughter was inside the car, back driver side. My 5 year old son opened the sliding door by pushing the automatic button. I was standing on the back passenger side of the car. As the door was automatically opening my daughter fell in the space between the car floor and the door. She fell behind the latch that hooks into the back part of the door when fully open. Her thigh was caught behind the hinge. The automatic door tried to open all the way but couldn't because her thigh was trapped. Then the door tried to close but it couldn't because her body was in the way. Her leg was wedged so tightly we couldn't reposition her to close the door (allowing for room to get her leg out.) She was trapped for 25 minutes before removed. The door had to be removed to get her leg out. Toyota was contacted and stated there are no sensors for the door going back, just forward. They do not believe there is a manufacture design problem. Please if you have young children or know anyone who has a Toyota Sienna with young children, disconnect the automatic sliding doors.
    Thank you for writing and making people aware of this problem, I am so sorry you had to go through such a terrible situation, I am glad your little girl is okay.

My 2 year old grandson, put his arm in behind the sliding door on the outside as the door was closing, his parent got him out just in time. It took only seconds for the parents to turn off the sliding doors, making them open manually. That was 2 years ago and the doors are still on manual position, safety is most important!!

I am so glad you contacted Toyota, they really need to be aware of this safety factor.
  • xanderboyxanderboy Member Posts: 1
    Our dealer states that we need to replace the power actuator ($1,000). The van has 110,000 miles on it. The problem we have is that once the door is completely open it will not close with the inside buttons, it seems to stick. We need to manually pull the door to have it "automatically" close. Opening is not a problem. We can actually open the door from the inside button and outside and close just as long as it doesn't open all the way into the locked position.
  • kristygkristyg Member Posts: 6
    If the problem is the actuator, it is a $100 part that you can purchase from Toyota and install yourself. I don't recall the post numbers but if you search my I'd the references should show up. There are very detailed and easy instructions for installation posted online. I had the same problem with my 2005 sienna and hubby had it fixed in about two hours for only $100! Good luck.
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    Check also the L shape hinge ( the part that connected the door to the rail) on the door, the cushion maybe worned out.. It happen to my door and toyota want to replace the motor etc for about $1500. I have it taken care by local machenic for about 200 with part. I hate toyota..I have so many problem with this van. Their cars are not built like before because they use cheap small parts that cause $$$ to fix. Good luck.
  • acaiozzoacaiozzo Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 is having the same problem - can you please email me pictures of what you did? Thanks! acaiozzo@yahoo.com
    When the l-shape henge (the cushion on the l-shape henge, according to my mechanic) is worn off, it will create a friction when the door is moving. You will have to push the door a little to finish the movement/ or close. However eventually it will start scratching the body of the car and it will stop. There are 2 parts that connect the door to the body, top and bottom. I have problem with the top where the door is hanging. This van has so many problems but toyota will not admit it. On my last visit to toyota for an oil change , the service guy said my brake oil, transmission oil, the gasket are leaking.. it require 6000 to fix. I took it to other mechanic, he said it is just moistures and non of the trouble lights are on. I am not a mechanic but when u hear what the service guy in toyota tell me almost everything is leaking, it really scare me. I really hate them... I used to be a toyota lover.. not any more... good luck.....
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I think Toyota is making a huge mistake not addressing these issues. I had a Lexus RX300 and there were unaddressed transmission problems with that car. I bought a Volvo to replace it. I didn't even look at the new Lexuses. I also have a 2006 Toyota Sienna. Our door has stopped working via one of the switches so I hope it is just a switch but I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop and be faced with an $1800 bill. If they don't address this problem I will not even look at Toyotas when getting a replacement for this care. And I will make sure my family and friends are aware of the lack of attention. Seems to me to be a bad marketing decision to try and save a few million bucks now but turn off thousands of future buyers.
  • yifangyifang Member Posts: 2
    Toyota and the dealer is so outrageous with the sliding door problem.
    Here is my story:
    2005 Toyota Sienna XLE. 110K km the sliding door (driver side) jammed to open, but worked if pull with handle. Went the Ens TOYOTA, charged me ~$500. After 4 months the passenger side of the sliding door had same problem, charged me $709.72!
    Complained to TOYOTA Canada. For sure this is the Sienna defect. but I was told it is not under warranty anymore. Paid the bill, total >$1200. Can you believe this?

Yesterday, I replaced the front brake, pad/SHIM/FITTING kit ($112.03 parts), but they charged me $367.87 for labors (tax not included!). I phoned back, they said they charged me the job for rear brakes too, which the teller told me when I picked up my car yesterday that job needed another appointment and bill!
    I did some research and found here. Now I realized they just suck the customer's blood! Can you believe this!
    Why they did this!

Then I have a question. Where do I find the standard that the mechanics should charge for the labor for a specific job, so that you can talk to them? Thanks!
    If it makes you feel any better, my buddy just dropped $3000 on a Range Rover with 23k miles for tires and brakes.

Yep. Just tires and brake pads/rotors. No warranty help.
  • adiehl13adiehl13 Member Posts: 28
    We also have the 2005 XLE. Blessed with BOTH the door weld "clicking" issue AND just had the driver side sliding door fixed. I don't know the technical term but the cable the door slides on seemed to have rusted out and then s
    Got sheared in half. In both cases we were fortunate that for some reason I had signed up for some kind of platinum warranty (which of course we nevr get- knowing Toyota, they probably slipped it in without me knowing. At any rate, the repair would have been $1200.00 as you stated. RIDiCULOUS! I've owned a Toyota since college, but I Swear the next minvan is a Honda. I also hate that I or a passenger can't use the Navi while driving.
  • vmorvillovmorvillo Member Posts: 2
    Question on cutting the cable. How would you get to the cable if the door is stuck in the closed position? I disengaged the auto switch however it is impossible to open the door manually. Would I need to take off the inside door cover to get to the cable?
  • wismomwismom Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Have you tried opening the far back passenger window? It won't give you much room, but you may be able to access it that way. Otherwise, yes you'll have to remove the door panel from the inside.

My door on my 2005 Sienna XLE was in the open position when this happened and we were able to cut the cable from the outside.

I now carry a clipper in the van....just waiting for the other sliding door to malfunction so I can clip that cable as well. UGH.

Once the cable is cut, you can manually open and close the door. Better than nothing.

This site is helpful too: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1631.0

And when you're done with that there is actually a Facebook site dedicated to this issue....If 200 folks sign, the administrator is planning to file a class action suit.: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota-Sienna-Faulty-Power-Sliding-Doors/233250320- 033754
  • tlambright1tlambright1 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Sienna sliding door cable snapped, and they surprised me with a $1500 bill to repair. Options were limited unless I wanted a 3 door van. Six months later, the door no longer works, take it in for adjustment, and they have to replace a different motor. Turns out it's my adjustment, as in $450 more to replace. Out of warranty, so Toyota won't help. I don't pay it, and the previous $1500 spent is worthless. I'm glad there are other strong options for new cars, I'm having a hard time justifying staying with Toyota after 20 years of continuous ownership. Very very frustrating.
  • venomjimvenomjim Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I had this same problem and used the fix you mentioned above. It worked great as far as getting the door to close, but now it won't open. It seems like the cable does not have enough tension to release the rear latch. Do you know how I can get access to the cable to open the door? I think, once I get it open, I can readjust the cable tension or adjust the rear latch mount towards the interior and retighten those two screws.
  • pamisterpamister Member Posts: 1
    When my wife arrived at work she needed to get in the passenger side power sliding door. When she finished she went to close it and it would not budge. Yours truly had to drive 20 miles to check it out. Sure enough there was no closing it. After looking at all of the possibilities - removing the inside panel, checking the door motor, and cable; I had about given up. Then I noticed that the lights were dimmer than usual and that cranking the engine sounded like the battery was on its last leg. I ended up putting a new battery in. Shazam, the power door was able to close. Have not had a problem with it since. Any write-ups I have checked out do not make any reference to a low battery being the cause. One side note. In the process of trying to manually close the door I busted the outside handle loose from the forward anchor. So now have to take the door panel off anyway and replace that handle. The wonders of plastic.
  • kuzshekiyakuzshekiya Member Posts: 5
    Had the same problem on my Sienna went with these guys and they fixed my regulator door thingy for my 2006 sienna. I didn't want to pay the $1500 my local dealer was quoting me, and I think that price didn't include installation. I have 3 kids so I'm kind of surprised it only 5 years for its to break. Hope this helps you!

http://bensonsautola.wordpress.com/
  • pmartino99pmartino99 Member Posts: 4
    So you just remove the regulator and send it to them? How much per side?
  • kuzshekiyakuzshekiya Member Posts: 5
    Ya I just took off the my old unit, and shipped it to them, they put a new cable into it and shipped it back in like 2 days. It cost me $650 for the rh side. I haven't had a problem with the lh side....yet.
  • mtorgmtorg Member Posts: 1
    My drivers side door on a 2004 Sienna has been making crunching sounds, and working sporadically. It usually works, but sometimes needs a pull to get started opening or a push to get fully closed. At times you can hear a slight crunching kind of noise. We take it into the Toyota dealer, because the typical auto repair and collision places didn't want to touch it.

The diagnosis is that it was a 'controller'; basically telling me it was an electronics issue. If it's an electronics issue - why is there a crunching noise as if something is jammed in there? And they tell me that the part is $651 plus $350 labor to replace.

Does this make sense to anyone? I feel that I'm being taken advantage of by the dealer in this situation.
    It's probably out of warranty, and given dealer rates are higher, it may be a good time to find a good private mechanic who knows Toyotas.
    I have the same problem several years ago... Toyota said the same thing about the motor is the problem and asking for 1500 to fix. I brought it to an independent mechanic and it was a L shape door hinge ( upper one ) that holding the door from the body that create the problem (The cushion somehow worn off, toyota used cheap parts). In my case, the door was not lifting high enough and it is creating friction with the body. When their is a friction the sensor will stop the door movement and causing it to stop in the middle of the door closing process and you need to pull it again to finish the process. It cost me $250 to replace the hinge and it is working since then.
    I hope this will help.... good luck ... never buy another toyota again... this is not just the problems i have with the vans... there are lot more....
  • symphonydadsymphonydad Member Posts: 2
    Well, I got both of my doors fixed. Before that, the plastic handle to the passenger sliding door broke. The handle repair was just under $200. Toyota would have charged that for the part. I had them cut the cable to the power door to make it manual and they fixed the drivers side door. The handle, both doors, replacing all dash lights and rear brake work was $505. I shudder to think what the bill from Toyota would've been.
    Good luck out there.
  • brknsliderbrknslider Member Posts: 1
    The passenger-side sliding door of our '06 Sienna LE got stuck OPEN in restaurant parking lot in June of 2011. The dealership was nearby and the manager came to help us. He couldn't get it closed either. They gave us loaner and kept our van for 3 days to repair. They said they had not seen the problem before. They replaced the slide motor assembly and covered the parts under warranty. They charged us $930 for labor. 9 months later, the door is starting to making a small grinding noise again. We can hardly wait!

It seems there are already enough of us who have experience the same/similar problem to warrant a class action suite.
  • adiehl13adiehl13 Member Posts: 28
    Mtorg- I posted quite a bit about this. The "crunching noise" is likely because the cable is rusted out. This is how ours started. Eventually, it sheered off and then you couldn't open or close the door. There is also a problem with the motor. I actually think there is a technical service bulletin out now. Check out one of the TSB sites. They won't actually "recall" these things but I got mine fixed under the platinum warranty.
  • aseagles77aseagles77 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Sienna that first had the cable on the passenger side sliding door break but we just used it as a manual door. However, just a few weeks later my wife went to open the door and it would not open at all! I have spent many hours working on it, but to no avail. I even took the interier door panal off, which is very hard with the door shut, but all I could determine is that the latch on the front of the door, on the post that the front door latches to, simply will not release. It has been five months now that we have had to function with only one sliding door working. A Toyota dealership said it would be several hundred dollars just to "try" and figure out why it isn't working. I am so frustrated and disappointed with Toyota.
  • susand3susand3 Member Posts: 1
    At only 3 years old and 47K miles the cable snapped on one of our power sliding doors yesterday and could have injured someone the way the door slammed shut! I called Toyota customer service and there is no technical bulletin or recall. I filled a complaint with the NTSB. Now I just have to bring it to the dealer for the bad news. It seems like it will be a very expensive repair. It's outrageous to know that this has been going on since the introduction of this generation of vans and Toyota has not done anything to correct the problem. :mad:
  • okieracerokieracer Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems with my 2006 Toyota Sienna power sliding doors and I see by the number of posts, so have many others. Here's what I found that may help some of you. First, you need to understand how the thing works: There are TWO small plastic coated cables, one to pull the door open and one to pull it shut. The pull-open cable attaches in the slot just under the vent window and the pull-shut one is attached on the same level in the hinge area. Both have two screws holding them onto the body. The system can be completely disabled by disconnecting BOTH of these clamps. The failure happens when the plastic coating starts to come loose and then it fouls the system of pullies and finally either breaks the pullies of the cable. If you start having problems with the door binding, you can save the cables by disconnecting them and this will allow the door to open and close as a manual one. At this point, I would suggest having someone with a lot of mechanical ability to try and save the cables It involves completely removing the sliding door , disassembling it, which includes removing the window, then removing the cable motor and pullies, then removing all the plastic coating pieces from the pullies and what is remaining on the cables. I did mine and it took several hours of work. I now understand why the labor cost is so high. Finally, if you disconnect both of the cables as I mentioned before and the door still "drags", you may also have a sticky roller on one of the three hinge/supports. If so, carefully remove one at a time and lube them up. Be sure to support the door as you do. Good luck!
  • ruthzruthz Member Posts: 1
    Here is my whole story:
    1) June, 08: My 2008 Sienna had small car wreck. Left Slide door damaged but no problem to open/close either manuallly or automaticaly.
    2) Sep, 08: I took to Body Shop which was recommended by insurance. Slide door outer body change.
    3) Slide door control start having problem since then. Sometime open a little bit then stop; some time open all the way but not close; some time open and close but not fully close. I took my car back forth to body shop about 5 to 6 times from 2008 to 2010. 3rd time I took back at Summer 2009, they change "whole control thing" inside the slide door. (I don't remember what part they change exactly. But now they told me they change "wire harness". They didn't file to auto insurance for this change and they never gave me any documentation each time I took my car back to them. I hate my neglect for never request any further document every time I took back because the manager is very nice and cooperate and I thought he should have record in their system...Now I think they may feel guilty therefore they didn't give me any paper work, even the extra parts change and have not report any those problems to auto insurance and rather to paid the extra cost by themselves.)
    4) Since they change this parts, my slide door still have same problem twice. The last time I took my car back is one year after they change the control part. 2011 is the first year I had not send my car back to them. I thought they fixed the problem eventually. But I am wrong. Three weeks ago, I took my daughter for dental appointment. I parked my car and click my remote control, the slide door start to open normally for a half then all a sudden sliding all the way to the end like loose control. It unable to close anymore. But when I click my remote, I still can hear motor sound and I have no problem to manually close it.
    5) I call body shop right way like before and was noted the manager is new. I told her all my story but she can not find any my information. So I bring my original paper work to her and heard their computer system totally changed and she even don't have my record at all. So she make a copy of my paper and took my car to inside to check. In less than 10 mins, she came back to me and said the CABLE MOTOR ASSEMBLY is broken and need be change. And that the same time, I saw a broken metal wire appeared under my rear window. The wire is still like fresh brand new stainless steel and no any sign of wear and tear. and the broken ends like force broken either by high tension or pinched something. And when I check closely, the black plastic wrap around broken wire are all cracked. The new manager said Moter Cable Assembly is normal wear and tear parts and nothing relate to their work.
    I doubt Moter Cable Assembly has problem because a) When I click remote or button in the car, I still can hear the motor sound. b) how can they tell Cable Moter Assembly broken in less than 10 mins without uninstall anything. c) I can see the wire is broken. For me, It sounds like only need replace wire. Can they just change wire to save my money.
    I truly believe this problem is strong relate to the body shop never appropately install my slide door. Every time I took back they make some change. I believe the wire must be pinched for so long and all the sudden broken.

6) I complain to insurance, but they said the door was changed since 08 and they had no any record show the control have problem since the door was changed. My milage is 66,000. So they conclude it is normal wear and tear and I need pay full by myself.

7) I check with Toyota dealer and tell them I will take my car to them full check just want them show me the problem honestly and tell me if related to inappropate installation or some thing wrong. they refuse since they don't want to involve any investigate.

8) When I had my oil change last week, the tech told me it is CABLE MOTER ASSEMBLY problem too. He just take a quick glance. We can see the wire is broken visibly, why it is cable moter asesmbly whole thing problem. Only the part need $1300 not include labor. Is it possible only change wire?My God!

I am so upset and angry. I need fight for rightous. This slide door always have problem since they install/uninstall so many times. Other slide door have no any problem at all. Further more, I don't believe 66,000 miles suppose have normal tear and wear for Slide door. That tear and wear is because this poor slide door being manipulate too many times by body shop. They need at least take some responsiblity. Please help. will Any advices and suggestions, no matter technical or how to fight, are deeply appreciate. thank you very very much!!
  • pinvestpinvest Member Posts: 1
    The problem could also come from the weather. I have a sienna which has given me the same problem. I noticed that htis would happen only during cold days. So I decided to clean the rails and use grease that will not clutter with the cold. The first thing to do is clean the rails top and bottom with a degreaser. If this works, use liquid grease, but like I said make sure it does not becomes hard during winter or cold days. I fixed the isssue doing the above. Good luck.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Word from someone who has access to Toyota TIS reports that dealers are receiving advanced notification about a new warranty extension on door motors / cable assemblies and the door latch motor assembly. It should be public shortly, or go annoy your service manager by asking directly. Refunds for past repairs may also be included.
    I have advised people to contact Toyota about their sliding door problem for years. I am happy to say it has paid off!!!!!! My Toyota dealer in Hagerstown, Maryland emailed me and told me that Toyota has extended the warranty on certain 2004 to 2010 model year Siennas. Toyota is offering a Warranty Coverage Extension (CPS) for rear door latch assemblies and power sliding doors for a period of 9 years from the vehicle`s first use of 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty extension will also provide coverage for the power sliding door cable assembly on certain 2004 to 2007.

This dealership states they will perform a complete inspection AT ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE, AND NO CHARGE FOR REPAIRS!!!

I am so happy to share this news, I plan to make an appointment to get my door repaired this week. The dealership said I will have to leave the van overnight and get it the next day, it is quite involved to repair.

Hope this helps and gets the free repair you deserve!!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Great! Sounds like some of the dealers are starting to act on the advanced information. Letters to owners of record should also be mailed shortly.
  • mtj1mtj1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna (purchased 4/2/03) with 109K miles on it. The sliding door has been a problem for at least a year. I initially took it to my regular mechanic thinking it was a simple tightening of a bolt. He couldn't fix it and advised taking it to the dealer, but I have his invoice documenting the problem at 99K miles. I waited until I needed an oil change and went this week. I learned that the repair, involving actuators, cables, and latches like everyone else, costs $1167 in parts plus $1069 in labor!!!!!! And it WOULD be covered under the extended warranty but I was 13 days past the 9 year mark. It doesn't matter that I am still under 120K miles. The corporate office said they would take care of the parts but I still have to suck up $1069 in labor and taxes for a door that they know is faulty. I preordered the first of the newer model Siennas, sight unseen, and I have had so many recall repairs done, as Toyota worked out the kinks on the new line. But we stayed loyal and bought a Prius too. Now I really feel betrayed. SHAME on Toyota!
  • jm63jm63 Member Posts: 1
    Can you get a service bulletin number or any reference number on the Toyota communique to dealers? I am about to contact my service adviser at the dealership and it would be great to be 'armed' with the info. Currently have my 2006 Sienna with passenger sliding door not sliding closed - have to manually get out and haul it shut...motor works - but it sticks and refuses to shut.
  • skygreencastleskygreencastle Member Posts: 4
    I just called my Toyota dealer and spoke to the service manager. He said that they have received no advance notice about a recall and gave me toyotas number. No help at all. Anyone have a ref # or something that I can provide to them? Thanks.
  • skygreencastleskygreencastle Member Posts: 4
    Unbelievable! Just called a different dealer and they verified this information!!! :) Scheduled my repair and they said it will be free of charge! Happy dance!!!!
    Cool. :shades:

Please keep us posted on how the repair goes.
  • jennylovesgrjennylovesgr Member Posts: 1
    Hi fellow frustrated Sienna owners,
    Wow! Toyota is finally taking responsibility! Never thought I'd see the day. This has been a thorn in my side for a very long time. Anyone know if this courtesy is being extended north of the border. I'm in Nova Scotia and the climate here combined with the salt, as a result of living on the Atlantic's doorstep, has only exacerbated the corrosion issue connected with the door latch assembly failing. We have had the doors both fixed once already and now they have seized again and have been that way for about 2 years now. So far I can't seem to find any such warranty extension on the net from Toyota Canada. If anyone knows anything I would greatly appreciate the heads up. :confuse:
  • melis67melis67 Member Posts: 1
    I have had "everything" replaced for the passenger side door at a cost of $950.00, after the door wouldn't shut and would randomly pop open, from not latching. Now the driver's side door is doing the same thing, except now the cost is $2900.00. I was going around a corner, and without any warning, the door came open. It took my husband 2 hours just to get it closed, only to have it pop open again. He finally disconnected the battery so the battery doesn't go dead. This is without a doubt a safety issue that should be addressed. :mad: