Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• kinchicagolandkinchicagoland Member Posts: 10
    By the way, maybe you have an '08 minivan and not the 'O4 that I have anyway...or maybe there is a problem with SOME of the minivan doors freezing. That is the point after all, some cars may have problems. If you park your car outside during a snow storm and your doors don't freeze, than you do not have the same problem that I am experiencing!!!

With regard to the weather stripping, I was just repeating what the service guy told me. I have no idea what is really wrong with the doors. It is not my area of expertise.
  • gotoyotagotoyota Member Posts: 280
    I don't believe any manufacturer sells their car with a disclaimer: "Warning: Doors may freeze shut in freezing weather conditions." You obviously live in a harsh climate that brings out this problem. Maybe that warning will start to appear in owners manuals as a result of this problem. But the point I am making is that it is not a defect. It is a predicted outcome based on the weather conditions and fact that it is a sliding door. I have had this happen before with our previous two vans, I am just fortunate now that I have a garage. Not that I am rubbing that in, just illustrating that it will happen with any vehicle that is parked out in freezing wet conditions. Going after Toyota might force them (as well as all manufacturers) to to print the warning I suggested, but we need that about as much as we needed restaurants to add the "Warning: Coffee may be hot" See my point? The Toyota service guys admission to you that other Sienna's are experiencing this problem means nothing more than he has heard the same complaint from other people in your area, presumably because they also park outside in freezing wet weather. Again, since all Siennas are made with sliding doors, you would expect that if you are having that issue, so is everyone who parks theirs outside. Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't think it's the manufacturers fault in this case, but it is kind of a gray area. I really don't know how they could fix it, other than find a way to keep the weather stripping material from sticking, which is what it sounds like they are trying to do.

Another point: If the windows and doors of your house freeze shut after an ice storm, whose fault is that? Or is it just an unfortunate result of something that is beyond anyone's control? As I said, if it turns out Toyota uses a different kind of weather stripping than everyone else uses and this is causing the problem, they should fix it. I just don't think that is the case. Whoever is first to invent a suitable rubber compound (or other material) that will not react this way will be a very wealthy person.
    Obviously weather is the culprit, but if it was raining and the rain came througth the roof of your car, you would probably expect the car manufacturer to fix the problem.

I can't help but question your motivation in your responses to me,when I look back at your other postings especially #32 with regard to the front door weld issue, you poo-pood that problem as well. Now, Toyota is finaly fixing that problem all though they go short of calling it a recall.
    Maybe you don't get kick backs, perhaps you are directly on the payroll, get free minivans... I don't know but I suspect something else motivates your responses. ALso, you have alot of free time don't you. Well, I am done for now, if anybody else besides"gotoyota" has something useful to post of if you are experiencing similar problems with your sliding doors , please post a response.
    You are turning this into a personal attack. I am not on Toyota's payroll and I have no motivation other than balancing your irrational posts with some logic. If you read my other posts, you would see that I also own a Nissan Maxima and still own my 2004 Odyssey EXL-RES. I picked the name gotoyota after my first two, more generic choices had been used already. I like Toyota, but I guarantee they have no idea I even exist. Deal with it.

The Sienna door weld problem is there, yes, but it has not happened as frequently as some people make it seem It has been very isolated relative to the total number produced, and kudos to Toyota for stepping up and fixing it, as well they should since it is obviously a defect.

You have made up your mind so I am not going to waste my time debating the rest of your silly comments. Good luck with your case.
    I can't help but question your motivation in your responses to me,when I look back at your other postings especially #32 with regard to the front door weld issue, you poo-pood that problem as well. Now, Toyota is finaly fixing that problem all though they go short of calling it a recall.

I did not "poo-poo" that claim. As I recall, I did say it was a problem they needed to fix. I just countered it with my assertion that this is not happening on a huge percentage of the vans, as some of the claims suggest. Toyota DOES owe it to their customers to fix this problem, whether it happens on .1% or 100% of the cars. The reason I responded the way I did was because the context of the discussion WAY BACK THEN was that some people were saying "don't buy the Sienna because the door welds ARE GOING TO FAIL." I was pointing out that statistically speaking, that was not correct. Also, I personally know 4 people who come immediately to mind that drive Sienna's - three are '04's and one is an '06. None of them have ever had any problems and love their vans. The person who has an '06 lives in an area where temperatures frequently hover around -10 to -15F during late December to mid February, and they have never mentioned anything about their doors freezing. They do park in a garage however. Just FYI...
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I can't believe what I'm reading. I live in Va and when we have the occasional winter storm where water freezes along with rain and snow, the doors on my Camry freeze. Folks, it has nothing to do with the seals or how the car is made or how much more area there is on sliding doors.
    All vehicles are affected by freezing weather. If you have a garage then put the vehicle in the garage. If you know a storm is coming then disable the power doors and leave them unlocked. It's a lot easier to open them in the morning after a storm or freezing weather. Let's use some common sense and stop putting blame where there is none.
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree, and already mentioned the same thing happens to my Miata.

Note the Miata has frameless windows so there is notably little surface area. Doesn't matter. They'll still freeze.

Plus with those tiny door handles, it's hard! I try the other door, then push the doors out from the inside with my feet! I have foot prints to prove it. :D
    Dear Toyota salesperson (per your bio)--it is you who are unbelievable, why don't you save it for the showroom. The person from our Toyota dealer at least admitted there was a problem with the Siennas, which Toyota is fully aware of, however Toyota is doing nothng about it.
    I am sure there is not alot of freezing whether in Recife, Brazil.
    Yes, I am unbelievable. Thank you.

Did you also see in my bio that I am a Master Sales Certified consultant? I have nothing to gain by posting here. I do it because I enjoy helping people. If there is a problem with any Toyota and I'm aware of it, I'm the first one to inform members here.

I'm a straight shooter as some of the hosts will tell you so I don't come here to feed you bs. And who was the person from your Toyota dealer and which "problem" are you referring to? I been referring to the so called "freezing door" problems which happen to any car foreign or domestic.

Seems to me you have contempt for salespeople, and just want to pick a bone with anyone. If that is the case then you are picking on the wrong guy.

How 'bout them Cowboys?!!
  • mw033410mw033410 Member Posts: 5
    Toyota agreed to repair the front door problem - now they need to fix the sliding doors. I live in southern california - the sliding door stopped opening two months ago when it maybe got down to 65 at night. I have switched the doors to manual and the passenger side will not open. This is not weather problem.
    Have you had it looked at to see what is going with your van? Obviously freezing is not the problem with yours. Also, I'm not sure why the passenger side door would not open. On mine, the couple of times I have tried it, it seems to be a completely mechanical operation when they are in manual mode.
    Your door plate might be out of alignment. Quick easy fix.
    Mack
    I'm from Brazil but currently live in your chilly capital, i.e. Washington, DC.
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    I live in s. cal. , I have electric sliding door problem, lately it won't closed at all. I have to push it in order to closed it. I have a 2004, it has so many problem.
    1)replace fuel tank.(after a week they replace it, the fuel tank leak when we pulling out from the parking lot, it took another 2 weeks to fix)
    2)seat belt problem
    3)driver side door welding problem. has this problem 2 months after the 3 years warrantly. initially, one of the salesman refuse to fix it even though he acknowleges other people have the same problem. call toyata customer care, attitude worse than the salesman. few weeks later, brought it back to the dealer, this young oriental salesman is kind enough to let it fix under warranty.
    4) now i have the sliding door problem, planning to bring it back again.(wish me luck)
    5)oh, i also have driver side seatbelt would not release and i have to press it really hard in order to release it .
    6) i think there is problem with their brake system, the pad worn off so fast ( i have changed it 5 times already)

problems van... no more toyota......
    Sorry to hear about your problems with your Toyota. However, salesman don't fix cars, they sell them. You should have taken this up with the service manager of the dealership or with Toyota Motor Sales USA 1-800-331-4331. If you're not satisfied with your dealer's service take it to another Toyota dealer. You don't have to take it to the dealer you bought the car from.
    Mackabee
  • rnovakrnovak Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had the cable on their automatic sliding door break? I have a 2004 Sienna XLE in which the cable on the driver's side sliding door snapped. This is probably at most a $20 cable, but the Toyota dealer indicated that they can not replace only the cable. They need to replace the door motor ($950) and some mounting bracket ($600) plus other items that get it close to $1,700! I understand that my warranty has expired, however when I purchased a Toyota (at a premium cost supposedly for the "quality"), I didn't expect to not be able to open a door! Even in manual mode, the door will not open.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone has been able to fix this issue at a more reasonable cost. No more Toyota's for me.
    Go back and talk with the service manager or general manager of the store. Ask them to have Toyota pay for the repair as a "good faith" measure. I assume you have your vehicle serviced there correct? They may not pay for the whole thing but in some cases they will or do a reduced price fix.
    Mack :shades:
  • mitch20mitch20 Member Posts: 1
    My wife just received a quote from the dealer for over $2,100 to replace the driver side sliding door "motor" on our '04 Sienna XLE. I logged on to see if others were experiencing the same problem.

We've got 61,000 miles and have generally been pleased with the van with some huge exceptions. First, the run flat tires with a life of about 15,000 miles and cost of over $270 per tire to replace (we've put regular tires on and carry a can of sealant). Toyota wasn't real great in communicating the problem and we didn't see any better fix. Toyota picked up the cost of the initial replacement, but after we went through the second set and then picked up a nail in a third, I was done.

A'so on the quote list from our 60K mile service is an estimate of $175 to replace 2 fan belts and $190 to replace the transmission fluid. We paid $500 for the 60K service and have followed the maintenance schedule. I don't know if it is our dealer -- we seem to need a transmission fluid change and brake pads/rotors ($300) at every service.

I bought the car largely based on toyota's reputation for reliability and low maintenance costs. Is this the norm? Do I try to get the door fixed outside of the dealership? If I do, will this compromise any claim if there is an acknowledged defect?
  • philly95philly95 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all!

I am considering purchasing a 2008 mini van for my wife some time between July and Setember of 2008. Are there any known issues, reported, with the '08s that I ned to be aware of?
    No, even the 2007s are OK, no recalls so far.

The door issue affected 2004-2006 models.

In a strange way, I wish the 2007s were included, because I'd get the peace of mind of that 100k mile warranty on the doors on my 2007 Sienna. :(
    Sounds like they are taking advantage of you. I would find another dealer. You should not need a transmission fluid change and pads and rotors at every service interval. They are following their own schedule and not the manufacturers.
    Like I said, call the customer service center at 1-800-431-4331 or 1-800-go-toyota and tell them what is going on and have them open a case number. You'll get results then.
    Mack
    The 09's will be out by then.
    Mack
  • toydriver2toydriver2 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2005 Toyota Sienna doors like many others where they are not opening when it is cold. What is "cold". For us our doors have stuck even when the tempatures were in the 40's and 50's. We do not have access to a garage so should we have bought a "better" van? Many people live in cold weather states and we should not be "punished" by having our doors not open. Should we not go anywhere when it is "cold" for fear of our doors sticking or beeping because they are "open". We drove two hours with our doors that would not open beeping the entire time (when you go to open the doors they make a sound like they are going to open so it is enough of a "click" where the vehicle thinks the doors are open). We kept pulling off the highway to try and open the doors. One of the two sliding doors opened after 1 1/2 hours. The other door didn't open until after our car sat outside our destination for 5 hours in the freezing cold we tried it 3 times and then it opened. We have also let our car run for 1 hour and the doors have not opened (plenty of time to have any ice thaw). Overall, it is not only incovienient, but it is a safety issue. If something happens to my kids in the back & I can't open the doors that is very unsafe...luckily my kids are old enough to do their own seatbelts, but what if we had a baby? The loud beeping while driving is also unsafe as it is very distracting making it dangerous driving especially when there is snow or ice. Also, if it is a warning that the doors are open at some point will the van doors fly open? Also, the kids have almost wiped out trying to get in through the back. We are very disappointed with Toyota and will make sure all our friends are aware of the Toyota issues before buying any Toyota vehicle.
  • toydriver2toydriver2 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2005 Toyota Sienna doors like many others where they are not opening when it is cold. What is "cold". For us our doors have stuck even when the tempatures were in the 40's and 50's. We do not have access to a garage so should we have bought a "better" van? Many people live in cold weather states and we should not be "punished" by having our doors not open. Should we not go anywhere when it is "cold" for fear of our doors sticking or beeping because they are "open". We drove two hours with our doors that would not open beeping the entire time (when you go to open the doors they make a sound like they are going to open so it is enough of a "click" where the vehicle thinks the doors are open). We kept pulling off the highway to try and open the doors. One of the two sliding doors opened after 1 1/2 hours. The other door didn't open until after our car sat outside our destination for 5 hours in the freezing cold we tried it 3 times and then it opened. We have also let our car run for 1 hour and the doors have not opened (plenty of time to have any ice thaw). Overall, it is not only incovienient, but it is a safety issue. If something happens to my kids in the back & I can't open the doors that is very unsafe...luckily my kids are old enough to do their own seatbelts, but what if we had a baby? The loud beeping while driving is also unsafe as it is very distracting making it dangerous driving especially when there is snow or ice. Also, if it is a warning that the doors are open at some point will the van doors fly open? Also, the kids have almost wiped out trying to get in through the back. We are very disappointed with Toyota and will make sure all our friends are aware of the Toyota issues before buying any Toyota vehicle.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    It's not a Toyota problem. My uncles Mitsubishi Montero Sport's rear doors were frozen shut when the temp dipped to 33 degrees and we had to wait outside in snow until the door thawed out, but our 04 Sienna had no problem and warmed up faster than his Montero. I think if he would have had a Mercedes ML or Ford explorer it would have froze, it's something hard to prevent. He was a little annoyed but not angry. It was probably aqward to the people in the parking lot seeing him wait in our van for his doors to thaw out :P .
  • vulcan4vulcan4 Member Posts: 12
    It is a safety issue, corporate Toyota does see it that way! My sliding doors stick when it cold and snows, my kids can't get in, or out! I worry that once they climb over the front seats to get to back seats, that if we are traveling and they should choke on a piece of candy or get sick that I could not get to them. Worst yet, what happens if I get into an accident, I won't be able to get the kids out??
    Recently I was contacted by Corporate and was told to take it back because Canada has a "new type" of door seals, I'm not sure if this is a recall or not. I'm not sure if this is the "fix" or not.
    When I told toyota that it was a safety issue, they could care less, I ask them what do I have to do to get this fixed, call FOX 5 News/ Shame on you etc. She told me do whatever you want to do. What a bad attitude from Corporate Toyota.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I'm confused - "corporate" told you to bring the car in so they could fix it with new seals, but "toyota" didn't care? Which is it? What is "corporate" if it's not "corporate Toyota offices"? Very illogical, Mr/Ms Vulcan.
  • ridgeline01ridgeline01 Member Posts: 2
    Brother's Sienna had the same problem. I think it's a 2006.
    After corporate could not help me, February 07 I started sending emails to all Toyota Corporate offices, including overseas offices.
    I believe overseas Toyota contacted USA toyota.
    It wasn't till this past December that I contacted by corporate Toyota and offered to replace door seals . I was told that Canada toyota just started using the new "type" of door seals.
    I still don't know if they are effective because the weather conditions has not been right.
  • rwaltersrwalters Member Posts: 1
    For those that haven't figured it out, you can disable the beeping that occurs when the door is "open" even though it's frozen shut. Just press the button to disable the power sliding doors, and it's silenced. We've had the doors freeze shut 3x in 4 years. Not frequent, but certainly annoying. I think the first instance was actually ice covering the whole door, but the last two times seem to have been just the seal. Today, there was just a heavy frost, so I was shocked. I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow to see if they want to look at it. If not, hopefully silicone will help.

My more pressing concern is the way that the obstacle detection seems to malfunction in cold weather. I've had to physically yank on the door to keep it from shutting on my kids when it's cold out. When it's warm out, I can just put my hand out, and apply enough resistance with my arm to keep it from closing. The variance is concerning, and the temperature seems to be the only difference.
  • wood1996wood1996 Member Posts: 4
    Wow! I can't believe all the problems with the Sienna doors. However the original post was not because the doors are sticking because of the cold. I'm not stupid, I know this can happen with any type of car if it's too cold out. The original problem of this discussion was the sienna power sliding door not unlatching to open. Even if you disabled the power you still couldn't open it. The problem was fixed(took over a week), then two months later started happening again. Don't ya think this is a problem? And it has nothing to do with the weather. It happens in all 4 seasons!!!!
    Agree about the weather not being the problem. I live in Anaheim, CA. 40 degrees at night is low. Most days it ranges 56 - 68 degrees during the winter. This is not a weather problem. It is a Toyota problem.
  • moondog22moondog22 Member Posts: 2
    My Sienna has a manual sliding door on passenger side that will not open. Dealer told me frozen....I said no, it was 70 degrees out when it stopped working. They told me it would not be covered under warranty and they would actually have to rip the door off and install a new one, oh, and by the way, they could not contact Toyota because all the big shots are in Vegas for a convention. What a perfect time to contact them, I think. We need news to contact them out in Vegas and put them on the spot. The reason they would have to contact exucatives is to see that Toyota would agree that it is a problem. In the meantime, yesterday, my other door froze, because when I tried to open it, the handle snapped....Now , kids have to call thru car to get in back...One is a 4 year old, so have to depend on younger kids to fasten her in her Booster Seat. Also, took to local dealer in Northern KY and they had to order the handle, which Parts Distribution for Toyota is headquartered in Northern Ky less than 5 miles from this dealer and they could not get fixed same day because of ordering and delivering of the part.....UNBELIEVABLE>.....
  • bbuyerbbuyer Member Posts: 2
    I live in northern Illinois where winter temperatures are commonly below freezing. The sliding door on my '05 Sienna routinely 'freezes' shut when there is combination of moisture and below freezing temperatures. Pulling the handle only makes the ding-dong bell come on and stay on. The door fails to open.

I suspected that the motor lacks sufficient torque to be able to break the door free from the top door gasket which gets frozen to the door frame. Initially, I tried silicone spray on the door gasket, with little impact on the problem. Next time it froze, the door froze shut.

Then I used a plastic tool designed for removing interior trim pieces. The tool is only 1/16" thick, maybe 1" wide, like a broad, dull, plastic knife with dull, rounded edges. My tool is one from a kit from Harbor Freight, part #95532

I take the plastic tool and insert it between the top of the door frame and the top body gasket. It goes in about 3/8 to 1/2" behind the top of the sliding door against the gasket. Keeping the tool inserted to that depth, I move the tool all the way aross the entire top of the door. The tool breaks the ice or frost bond between the door and the gasket, and the door operates normally. The reason the tool is plastic is to not scrap the paint off the door frame.

I've had the tool work every time. Annoying and an example of poor design, but the plastic tool is a work-around.

theonomic
  • rochnypatrochnypat Member Posts: 2
    100,000 mile Platinum Warranty does not cover fixing door not Opening. Dorschel Toyota Roch NY $190 to break into door and fix. 21-jan-2008 "The warranty does not cover adjustments." The door would not open since October, right after being in the shop, too.
    When new, the other sliding door would not stay open and would not always close. After numerous visits to Dorschel, they finally fixed it. Something about the top hinge. It was not covered by warranty either. I argued and they took it off the bill. I hate that I have to argue at all.
    The exterior lights or the interior lights will not go off if I forget them even though the book says they will after 20 minutes. The Service Manager says the book does not apply to the Sienna LE. Remember that.
    When I first bought a Toyota Sienna with the long term warranty they said it would cover even a failed wiper motor. Now it won't cover a door that won't open.
    Other things, the mileage on the electronic readout is about 4 mpg higher than the old receipts and odometer math comes up with. I heard that is known about those and they are not expected to be right.
    Quality is a thing of the past with Toyota. The fogged up headlights again (which were "fixed"), the gas tank replacement, which was very early with this vehicle, the electrical system, and the doors!
    Then when I read your problems with the electric motors and cables, wow.
    If anyone has a quality story about a quality van, let me know. I will be listening. Thanks, all.
  • rochnypatrochnypat Member Posts: 2
    Both of our van doors have had major problems in warm summer weather that we have had to repair with our $$$$$. I worry about the safety issues and children being stuck in the rear area in emergency situations. This is our last Toyota product due to overall quality issues on a rather expensive vehicle.
  • moondog22moondog22 Member Posts: 2
    They did fix my side sliding door and paid for it. Had broken latches and mechanisms inside. Toyota paid, even though warranty up. I had told them I read numerous reports about this but no RECALL has been issued yet. As far as the other door, I had to pay for the door handle, still it cost $173.00...
  • znetznet Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE has the habit of exhibiting a completely drained battery after my wife sits in the car for 10 minutes or more with the ignition key out (engine is off). Initially, this odd phenomenon occurred when the sliding doors were opened leading us to (wrongly) suspect the door electricals as the culprit. Alas, it happened today with the doors and windows shut (again, the key was not in the ignition and neither exterior nor interior lights were activated---nothing obvious that would drain the battery, let alone drain it completely in 10 minutes). The battery is fine and the car is fine after receiving a jump. The dealer cannot diagnose the problem, initially telling us it was overhead utility lines! I now strongly suspect that there's a sensor under the driver's seat, which activates with the weight of the driver and which is draining the battery. Since all interior and exterior lights are off (radio is off as well) and there's nothing draining the battery and this problem only occurs when someone is sitting in the driver's seat (waiting), logic suggests that the problem is caused by the weight of the driver in the seat. Isn't there a sensor in that seat for some purpose (airbag?). Anyway, please chime in with a diagnosis. As far as the posts which have described a sticking sliding door problem. We too had the unrelated sticking sliding doors in freezing weather until I sprayed some WD-40 on the moving parts which seems to have corrected that problem.
  • bobostudiosbobostudios Member Posts: 3
    If you are experiencing sliding door problems please read this:

We recently had the sliding door on our Sienna fixed... twice, costing us a total of over 500 dollars.

Toyota knows there is are problems with these doors. The mechanic who worked on our car left his repair bulletin, issued by Toyota, in the front seat of our car along with the receipt the last time we had it fixed.

The report (EL004-04), issued in April of 2004 says they are aware there is a problem. The repair is to be covered under the 36k or 36 month warrenty. (I have a 2004). Our door had problems only month after the warrenty was up.

At the bottom of the report it states:
    *Warrenty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customers specific complaint.

I'm fighting with my Toyota dealership and with HQ right now and will update if I get anywhere. Hopefully this has been helpful to anyone experiencing the same problems we are. If you're still under warranty don't wait get it fixed ASAP.

Good Luck

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • bobostudiosbobostudios Member Posts: 3
    I spoke with HQ yesterday and explained my problem. They told me there was nothing they could do since my car was out of warranty. I argued that because they knew there was a potential design flaw with these cars even during production that it was their responsibility to make the necessary repair. They were having none of it and referred me back to my dealership.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I surprised? no. My advice to potential Toyota buyers... Beware. Toyota does not stand behind their product the way they once did. You may want to consider a Honda instead.

I'll continue to post updates as I go.
    Toyota is not backing their products - these are cars that families are driving and the doors are a safety issue. Toyota truely is taking over for GM and Ford and providing the same "it's not our fault service." With Toyota treating customers this way it won't be long before they are in the tank too. I have already broke my families string of 11 straight toyota vehicles and purchased a Honda. I am very happy with the Honda and I am looking at a Ford Edge for my son. Toyota has lost my family as customers.
    Keep complaining folks, they may extend the warranty coverage on all these, even for those of us with no such problems. ;)
  • nkyboynkyboy Member Posts: 1
    We have been having the sliding doors in our Sienna freeze anytime the temp went below 32 degrees. We tried WD40 which would work for a day or two then stop. The dealer could not come up with any ideas so I asked one of the men at AutoZone if they had any different kind of spray.

He said to apply baby oil all around the seals. His idea was that the mineral oil would lube the seals and not freeze. It is also easier to apply than the sprays because you just wipe it on with a paper towel.

I gave it a try. That was one week ago and they have not frozen since even though we had one night last week near zero!! I can not say that it will not hurt my seals in the long run, but right now it works great.

Thanks AutoZone!!
    I've been having similiar troubles with my sliding doors freezing shut. Its a safety hazzard, especially if you have kids in the back seats. I've had my seals changed 5 times. I had to complain to Corporate Toyota about the doors. Recently, I had my seals changed but this time it is the "fix" they are doing in Canada, I believe its a canada recall, not sure. But I've been told they Toyota is suppose to start it in the US.
    Overall, what a hassle for a Toyota product that suppose to be a good product.
    FWIW, I would not use any petroleum-based oils. I think those can harm rubber seals.

I'd use lithium grease instead.
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2001 T&C Ltd and have the option of power or manually operated side doors and tailgate. I like that option. I'm thinking of a new Sienna. Can side doors or tailgait be operated manually in any of the Sienna models? How about in an Ody?
  • dionreevesdionreeves Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have a 2005 Sienna and my battery is apparently being drained. It first went dead because a light was left on. I charged it several hours and drove it that night, only to have it go dead the next day. A mechanic tested the battery and alternator and said both were fine. Have you found out if there is anything else that can drain the battery?
    My Sienna has switches by my left knee that disables the power door function for both sides, so Yes.
  • mommyjanmommyjan Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone had an issue with Toyotas Sliding doors that are powered not retracting when something is in it's path? I've had the door slam into my hand/leg and keep trying to close, as well as (as hummorus as it sounds) bang on my behind and still not retract. I think this is a HUGH design flaw and can't believe that it's not a safety hazzard recall. I'm worried with my 3 1/2 year old and 8 month old if the door starts to close and they somehow get in the way of it, they will really get hurt.
    Mommy Jan