Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Maintenance

124»

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    FYI, you can access the manual if you login to the Mazda website under "Owners."

That being said, the manual doesn't tell you what indicator is located where on the dash. You'll have to match the symbols. Can you describe the symbol at all?

-c92
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    There is another recall out on the CX-7 as well fro replacement of the (variable swirl shutter valve) however this applies to a smaller number of vehicles

As well as a few Mazdaspeed6's and select Mazdaspeed3's. It causes the o so friendly CEL to make an appearance!
  • mazdacx7mazdacx7 Member Posts: 7
    Should I or not changue the oil if my cx-7 is a year old but still 5600k? should I wait untill 7500k
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Should change the oil/filter cartridge every 3,000 miles. In the real world, by the time you get around to bringing it in, will be 3500~4000 miles. Cheapest insurance you can buy for your engine. The turbo DISI seems to turn oil black quicker than the the naturally aspirated engine.
  • techctechc Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where the oil filter is located on the 09 Mazda CX-7?
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    Under the engine......ha!

You have to remove a large cover with bolts that hold it in place. It's not a filter, it's a cartridge which is different than most.

Perhaps you should watch your dealer service department perform it the first time.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone with an older Olds Alero was complaining on the site today about their cartridge oil filter. They were having trouble getting the quick lube kinds of places to change their oil.

Can you find the Mazda cartridges at NAPA or AutoZone, etc?
    Only at 2K miles on our new CX-7 and was planning to only have the stealership perform the maintenance since it once every 7500 miles for $40 to $50 is still cheaper than going to JifffyLube every 3K for $35.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Mazda sends me two mailers with coupons a couple of weeks before each oil change is due. The coupons are never for the same price, the latest are one for 22.95, and the other for 25.95. I've never paid more than $30 for an oil change on either the 6 or the CX-7, always at the dealer.
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    I was quoted $650 for the service + tax at Manhattan Mazda in NYC.
    I question the service for several reasons:
    the dealer claims I need to have the trans axle fluid check and or replaced.
    a oil change is included ($41.55 value) and they have a list of items that they have to check but the replacement of such items is not included.
    I think this is robery.
    Should I just ask to have an oil change done and a transaxle fluid flushed only and save a few hundred dollars? :confuse:
    is the coupon sent to you from the dealer or from Mazda directly?
    have you ever confronted the dealer about it?
    The coupons are sent by Mazda on the dealer's behalf. I turn in the one from dealer A to dealer B, they just shrug their shoulders and honor it. Been doing this this for a long time. I think Dealer B is just happy to get the service business on a dealer A vehicle.
    The most prevalent ongoing scam in the car business IMO is the manufacturer vs. dealer periodic maintenance one. What needs to be done to a vehicle at particular mileage intervals is clearly stated in the owner's manual. Improved product quality and reliability has threatened dealer service revenue, which easily exceeds that of the new car sales department. To counter this potential loss, dealers have devised their own "recommended packages" which put the finish and fabric protection packages to shame in their padding of superfluous services and costs. You do not need to do/pay for anything more than what is stipulated in the owner's manual to maintain the warranty, and I believe there is no evidence that doing more improves vehicle reliability. What it does do is increase cost of ownership and dealer profit.
  • interested_72interested_72 Member Posts: 3
    Mazda CX-7 Buyers Beware. When purchasing a new or used Mazda it is IMPARATIVE that you have and keep all oil change records and receipts, this even applies when you buy the car used, with any remaining factory warranty, you are required to ask for, obtain and keep all of the previous owners' receipts and records to validate your warranty...
    Let me explain.
    I purchased a 2007 Mazda CX-7 in July of 2009 (two months ago) it had 20k miles on it.. In my two months of ownership I have maintained it perfectly including one oil change, and since I have driven it just under 2000 miles the next oil change is not due yer (due 10/13/09 or 23k miles).
    It started when I started hearing a VERY FAINT light knocking noise under the hood. This could only be heard while in park and wile the air conditioner and radio were off, as even the sound of the ac would drwon out the noise. So I scheduled it in for service at my Certified Mazda dealer (which is not where I purchased it from).
    The day after I dropped it off the service guy called to tell me that they were still unable to diagnose the problem and they were waiting to hear back from Mazda to help diagnose it and they would call me the next day. So the next day (yesterday) at 7pm, they called and said it was the engine... The engine is shot and I need a new engine. I was shocked to say the least and very thankful that I purchased a car still under the factory warranty. (which I confirmed with Mazda Zone prior to purchase that the remaining factory warranty would transfer) I also did a Carfax report, which reported "one owner, low miles, and no damage"... Well, not so fast, unless I can provide a minimum of the last 3 oil change receipts, the FACTORY WARRANTY IS VOID. Well, I explained that I recently purchased this vehilce and have not had it long enough to have had 3, but they are requiring me to trace back the owners and obtain the records, it is not covered. (They wanted 6 receipt to guarantee coverage, but they said they would start with the 3 most recent).
    I don't know about you, but although I always keep my current vehicles records, I have not kept records to previously owned vehichles nor been asked to present them when I trade my vehicles in... So to go back now to someone that hasn't owned this car in months is going to be almost impossible. (This is assuming that the dealer that sold it to me did one, I would still need one prior to that).
    None the less, I have contacted the previous dealer that I purchased it from several times today, and no call back as of yet...
    How many car lots that sell used cars sell them with ALL of the owners oil change records???
    So, long story short, I purchased my "low mileage, one owner" Mazda with the remaining factory warranty two months ago, and now the engine is shot, and Mazda won't cover it....
    Help!! What do I do??
    According to the onwers manual, recommended oil change service interval is every 7,500 miles. According to Mazda's own recommendation and guidelines, you are not due for your 3rd oil change until 22,500 miles, which you have yet to reach.

Your dealer is screwing you. Go find another and call Mazda North America. Call your local TV consumer advocate. Something stinks to high hell and it its not you.

Why not call the original owner? Most states have a lemon law that should protect you. The other option is to call AAA (if you are a member) and get an extended warranty. They usually give cars under 25K miles low discounts. Pay the $1500 now and be protected for the next 10 years.
    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for taking the time to post your reply! I was wondering what the reccomended mileage was for an oil change on this vehicle, (but my owners manual is in the vehicle that is as the dealer). They (service guy at the dealer told me it was 3k/3months, and I thought that newer vehicles with premium oil could go to 5k, but 7,500 is even better for me), so really, if they are asking for the "last three" and the vehicle has 22k miles, they are really asking for the receipts for the life of the car.. I still think that is absurd... The dealer says they are on "my side" and have to battle Mazda to cover it, so we shall see what they have to say on Monday... (I was told I could not speak to the Mazda Zone Representative for my zone unles I make an appt with him through my service guy when he is back in out city, which may be months..) The 800 Mazda help line was no help and just confirmed what the dealer told me..
    I really don't like to pull the "I'm a girl being taken advantage of" card, but I really think they really are... Unfortunately I am a single mother of 3 kids and saved up (and drove a 1994 Ford) for three years before I took the 'jump' into a newer vehicle, my only requirement (and justification for a getting a newer car) was it being under warranty.. (as you can imagine I spent lots in car repairs on the 94 Ford, which was understandable, but at least I didn't have a car payment on top of it! lol)
    Also about the dealer that sold me the car, after a few calls to them on Friday after learning all of this, I have yet to get a call back, hopefully that means nothing but they were busy and will call soon. I will call them again on Monday. (the selling dealer is in Florida, but I now live in Arizona)...
    Anyway, thanks again for your post, very nice of you to take the time! You've given me some hope to get through the weekend!!! :)
    Have a nice weekend!
    Hi Interested_72

Give me your email address and I'll send you the pages from the CX-7 service manual. Unless you drive it under extreme conditions or tow equipment with it, the 7500 miles is Service. Here are the excerpts from the owners manual.

Follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions
    apply.
    l Repeated short-distance driving
    l Driving in dusty conditions
    l Driving with extended use of brakes
    l Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
    l Driving on rough or muddy roads
    l Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
    l Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
    l Driving in extremely hot conditions
    l Driving in mountainous conditions continually
    If any do apply, follow Schedule 2 (Canada and Puerto Rico residents follow Schedule 2).

For schedule 1, the oil should be changed every 7,500 miles.

If you have truly only had the car a few months, you probably fall under the lemon law. Check the lemon law in Florida.

http://floridadrivers.com/traffic_court/florida_lemon_law.php/

or http://autolemonlaws.com/florida/index.htm
    Hi Interested_72.

It just dawned on me that it sounds like your car has a known problem that is addressed in the Mazda TSB 01-002/08. Noisy VVT Actuator

Read this description and TSB below. The problem is just noise, not a bad engine (most likely). If this Mazda service dept refuses to review all TSBs, then take it to another Mazda dealer.

MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE - BULLETIN NOTE
    This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-043/07 issued on 11/29/07. The REPAIR PROCEDURE and PART(S) INFORMATION have been revised.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    DESCRIPTION
    When the engine is first started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing (VVT). This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.

Here is the link to the full Mazda TSB (Technical Service Bulleting)
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/cx7/bulletin/01-002-08-1896.pdf

Also, here is a link to MANY other TSBs that Mazda service centers are obligated to repair free service for problems reported to customers.

The 2007 CX-7 had a lot of problem (sorry, this happens with first year cars) but search this link for any others and mandate that they be repaired for free.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=14
    Thank you sooo much!!!
    This is very intersting news! I feel like I have a good chance at 'fighting' them now. :)
    It all seems very wierd to me that last week it was a very faint noise, and now it is "not safe for me to drive." My oil nor engine light never came on, and even after double checking with the mechanic that did the oil change he still says that he did not notice anything odd at all.
    We will see, I will certainly keep you posted, and I GREATLY APPRECIATE your obvious car/mechanical knowledge ~with the proof of the owners manual to back it up!
    Thanks so much!!!
    pam
    email: ushulagirls@aol.com
    Hi Pam,

I sent you a direct email. Please be on the lookout for it.

H
  • mtngirl34mtngirl34 Member Posts: 1
    Does the VVT have anything do with starting the CX-7? My CX-7 is having issues starting, it will start, but I have to keep the key turned in the ignition for a few extra seconds or press the gas pedal. Do you have any ideas what be causing this? Thanks
    Hi Mtngirl34,

The VVT problem only causes a noisy engine as far as I know. Even after the fix, the engine is just down-right noisy still. not a problem...just noisy.

Since you didn't mention the year or model of CX-7, I recommend you check several of the TSB sites such as:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-MAZDA
    or
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=14

The best site for CX-7 tech questions is the really techie site http://www.mcx7.com/
    There are many gear-heads and techies on this site that can answer most technical issues on the engine or eletrical. More than I want to know, but it's good to be prepared.

Let me know if I can help MountainGirl
  • desertgirl1desertgirl1 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted you to know that I also have the same problem. Very similar situation from the car to your problems with the dealer covering it under warranty. I still owe a lot of $ on my car and I was told that due to lack of maintenace, which by the I was able to provide records they will not warranty. Sounds fishy to me, don't you think? My car has been sitting in the shop taken apart, since May of this year. I am submitting my BBB arbitration forms this week. Wish me luck!
    Do I need to flush out my radiator now? or should I wait.
    I was also told by the dealeship that I have to change my rear axle fluid, so do I have to change the tranny fluid as well?

I need good advise please. FYI: I drive about 17K miles city and highway driving NYC. Obviously the my cx-7 gets a work out, so I am careful to change the oil every 4K miles. Anyone has had problem with the turbo??
  • tbrec63387tbrec63387 Member Posts: 1
    I have a feeling that my daughters Mazda problems have to do with this. I will keep you posted in that I don't have a lot of details. What I do know is that they drove it to the dealer with problems. Dealer claims it's a turbo problem (after checking other things out) ... The went so far as to break the engine down and take pictures to attempt to show that it was poor maintenance. It's a $2700. repair job that she and her husband are looking at.... I say BS. The car is in the shop and the dealer said that it has to be fixed. I called them today and said I want it NOW. They said that it would have to be towed ... I told them it was DRIVEN IN and it will be DRIVEN OUT in no worse condition then it came in.....I'm going to have to check out the service records my son-in-law presented. I'll keep you all posted.
  • lulusboutiquelulusboutique Member Posts: 16
    YES BEWARE MY 2007 CX-7 IN IN THE SHOP STARTED WITH THE VVT NOW IT HAS PARTIALLY DAMAGED MY ENGINE WHAT A NIGHTMARE THEY WILL BE CALLING ME BACK (NOT THE DEALER AS THEY TRY TO JERK ME AROUND) THERE ARE OTHER MECHANICS THAT HAVE CERTAIN MACHINES TO FIX THE MAZDA CX-7 ASK FIRST DONT TAKE TO THE DEALER WANTS TO JUST PUT A NEW MOTOR IN OFF THE TOP $7,500.00 I HAVE NO WARRANTY DONT TRUST THE MAZDA DEALER YOU SHOULD FIND SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS RECOMMENDED AND YOU CAN TRUST.

CHRISTINA
    SERVICE BULLENTIN #01-002/08 ISSUED 1/16/2008 REPAIR PROCEDURE LOOK THIS UP IF YOU HAVE YOUR WARRANTY THIS IS COVERED OTHERWISE YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME $$$ OUT OF OUR POCKET AND MAZDA PUT THESE VEHICLES OUT WITH ALL THESE PROBLEMS AND DIDN'T LET US KNOW ..... :sick:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    I have read that 2008 and later models can use regular gas. Of course, I would be lucky enough to have a 2007 that requires pricey premium and this thing is thirsty. Is it possible to have the engine reprogrammed to match that of the 08 so I could at least use regular?
    The original press release indicated that the catalytic converter had been changed and possibly other unspecified mechanicals in addition to the programming. Sorry.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    It figures. Thanks.
  • pathybennypathybenny Member Posts: 5
    New Mazda CX-7 owner here. Just a few discussion points surrounding service and maintenance:

1. Where do you normally go for service - Dealerships or Independent Mechanic?
    2. Regular service interval calls for 8,000km/4 months (Canadian) whichever comes first. Do you follow this or just go for 8,000 kms (or miles equivalent)? I find that 4months is kinda hard to keep up.
    3. Fuel - premium vs regular?
    1. If the factory warranty is in effect, go to the dealer. That will cut out one of the many obstacles that Mazda will place in your way should you need major engine work. That may be up to 112km depending on year/engine.
    2. As I understand it, the time limit has to do with oxidization of the oil which reduces lubricity. Exceeding these limits is best done with synthetic oil. Beware that exceeding the limits excessively gives Mazda ammunition to deny future warranty claims.
    3. In 2007, premium was required. From 2008 on the ECU and cat were modified to permit regular. I have an '08 turbo and use mostly regular - can't really tell the difference. The salesman said use premium in the winter, but they don't know squat.
  • pathybennypathybenny Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Des. I have an 07 cx-7 unfortunately so it calls for premium. It is past warranty as well. I do plan on using synthetic oil however, 8,000 Km in 4 months is a lot for me. Do you follow the 4 months limit or just the km/mileage?
    I talked to our local Mazda and a regular service costs $55 for synthetic so I guess it's not too bad. How much do you pay for a regular maintenance?
    My CX has only 51km., and I take it to a meticulous private mechanic. His policy is Mobil 1 for oil, filter change every 8km, oil and filter change every 16km. I go by distance, not time. He charges ~$60US.
    I would do my own, but its better to have a third-party invoice for warranty claims, and the cartridge filter change is a funky procedure.
  • miamimikamiamimika Member Posts: 1
    2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring AWD; I purchased the car in September 2007 and it currently has 19,908 miles.
    The AC is breaking down. While I'm driving on the highway at 65MPH, the pressure or high AC air pressure drops and hot air comes out. I also experienced burning smoke coming through the vents. I had the car inspected by the dealer back on August 3, 2012 and they replaced the valve cover.
    On September 1, 2012 I was driving again on the highway with my family and we experienced the same problem. The AC pressure dropped, hot air was flowing out of the AC and we smelled burning smoke.
    I took the car to the dealer this morning and they are now advising me that I have to replace the blower fan which is out of warranty (3 years/36K miles) and will cost $500.
    I have no problems paying for a part, but the valve cover, blower fan, or AC items shouldn't be breaking down at 19K original miles.
    I asked Wayne Mazda service consultant: Anthony Cunha if the blower fan was part of the AC compressor and he said, "no".
    I strongly feel that Mazda installed faulty AC compressor/units on the 2008 CX-7. This issue has to be investigated before a car catches on fire and people get burned alive or worse, a multiple car crash on the road resulting in deaths.

If you're experiencing the same problem, please spend 5 minutes to file a complaint with the NHTSA
    (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). I just filed a complaint online a couple of minutes ago.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Best of luck
    You need to find another dealer. The blower motor affects air flow, not A/C cooling. Early run '08 models have the faulty design compressor, but Mazda won't warranty them until they blow up.
    I own a Mazda CX7 GT-AWD, I live in nyc.
    I drive roughly 44 miles a day just to go to work, I bought the car Dec 2007 (2008 model) and the car has been trouble free. When I bought the car it had 2miles on the odometer. I now have 76Kmiles.
    Oil changes are like religion, every 4K miles. Turbo engine breaksdown oil very fast.
    I use regular gas, 16MPG on stop and go traffic, if on highway I can easily get 20MPG. I was going to dealership for 1st year. There arfter I started to buy all of the items I needed online and I found a good mechanic that only dealt with Japanese imports and I have been taking it to him ever since.
    Since my car is AWD, the tires were warped at about 32K, so when I bought new tires I decided to pay high attention to tire rotation, proper inflation(digital tire gauge) and doing a tire inspection on my own motnhly.
    The good news is that 43K miles later my tires are good and perhaps out of just safety and better grip, I will replace the front tires.
    My car has been trouble free, just new brakes, oil changes, 1 set of tires and light bulbs that needed replacement.
    If I had known that leather needs a lot of care, I would have done the leather dressing on the seats. Since I neglected my seats, the leather on the driver side has a huge rip now. Otherwise I love my car.
    I used to drive hondas, I love MAZDA now!
    I am upset that Mazda decided to discontinue the car...sad!
  • jaswoodjaswood Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2013
    The radiator/condensing cooling blower motor is most likely the one in question. No forced radiator/condensor cooling airflow, the engine begins to overheat resulting in the A/C compressor being disabled until the engine cools down again, etc, etc, etc.....

DIY....Fan/motor can be purchased for less than $50 on Ebay.
  • jaswoodjaswood Member Posts: 7
    Your best tires should always be on the rear. And it's not a very good idea to replace just one set of tires and end up with differing rolling circumference on an AWD vehicle.
    Mazda should have made a turbo diesel CX-7 in the US. But this is what happens when you can't figure out your identity in the marketplace and to whom you want to sell cars.
    CX-& owners
    I am dissapointed with the manner in which Mazda has failed to address the design problems of several components in the CX-7. I own a 2008 CX-7 - GT-AWD. I put 77K on the car, I did the maintenance outside of the dealership with a private mechanic. I had premature failure of key components in my car and I was told that it was all do to the lack of maintenance and oil changes.
    Obviously that is not true but the dealer and Mazda have known about key componets having major flaw designs. My fuel injectors were damage at 70K miles, the belts, and timing chain had stretched by 60K, the engine mounts kroke at 65K miles, the VVT and the turbo need replacemnt now at 77K. This car is a money pit, stay away from Mazda and their crappy cars.
    I have always owned Hiondas (drove a 91 Accord Sedan DX, 2001 Civic Lx, Acura MDX 2011) by pure accident I bought the mazda and I begin to tel you all the problems I've had with the car. Some so serious that dealership kept the car for days to fully test and troubleshoot, only to have dealer come back and tell me that I need to rebuild the engine cause they cannot pin point the source fo the problem.
  • titoetitoe Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys! I'm thinking of buying an almost new CX7. I really like it but I know it has been discontinued. Do you recommend buying it besides that? I'm not sure of how it will affect the resell value, spare parts, etc. Please let me know, thank you!
  • apriliaaprilia Member Posts: 1
    The cx7 is a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. I would have to write a book on the problems. blown turbo, both catalytic converters, turbo cooler, timing chain, rear main seal, etc. all under 77k miles. Mazda would have to pay me to drive another one of there cars.
    :lemon:
    STAY AWAY FROM MAZDA PRODucts!

I owned a CX7 2008 AWD-GT, the car was a huge money pit!
    I had the same problems and mazda neglected my claims, they just ignored all my letters.
  • gariochgarioch Member Posts: 1
    I have to strongly agree ,don't buy a cx7 , we bought a certified used mazda as the salesman said wouldn't the piece of mind of the 100,000 mile warranty be good to have , anyways our turned out to be one of the hundreds of cx7 which have suffered the dreaded engine death on the highway (google cx7 vvt)
    Anyway even with full service records for the car only ever having fully synthetic oil changes Mazda are not standing good to the warranty