Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Buy a CTS, better car IMHO, and the dealer will be able to do a better job of keeping it on the road.. "

Better car, perhaps - for you..
    Substantially more expensive, though.
    And.
    I rented a brand new one a while back.
    I test drove a loaded 2009 before buying my G8 GT.
    You may be proven correct regarding long term service.
    We shall see...
    - Ray
    YMMV.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    So how do they compare ?
    While they are both 4DR sedans w/RWD,
    They really are in 2 quite different segments –
    IMHO.

First, price:
    Base \ RWD with 304HP V6 DI starts at $38,860.
    Add the UltraView sunroof @ $900
    And the Y43 performance package @ $1,490
    [ to make the equipment level roughly comparable
    to a G8 GT with every package & option ]
    results in an MSRP of $42,575.

MSRP of the ‘equivalent’ G8 GT = $35,190.

The CTS lists for over $7,000 more.

Second – dynamics:
    Based on my driving, both the rental [ not the DI ]
    and the ‘loaded’ ’09 I test drove last Fall,
    my view is that the CTS just is not a sport sedan.

I am not talking here about handling.
    Though this is important, and the CTS
    does handle competently – better than that,
    with the Y43, I expect – the 304 HP DI V6
    just is not particularly powerful, and the
    6L50 trans calibration in the CTS just is
    not aimed [ IMHO ] at performance driving.

The acceleration numbers I recall for the 304HP CTS
    run in the mid-14s.
    The G8 GT records mid 13-s.
    That is a difference most seeking performance
    could likely feel.
    The V6 is certainly ‘sufficient’ – but driving one,
    I knew that I would ** REALLY ** miss the G8 GT’s V8,
    with deep wells of Torque everywhere, at any RPM –
    as well as the much quicker ultimate acceleration.
    Some will not care about this aspect.

By far, my biggest disappointment with the CTS’s drivetrain was actually the trans. I have heard \ read much about how great the 6L50 is in the CTS. My Corvette had a 6L80 & the G8 GT has the same trans. I drove my ‘Vette & drive my G8 a fair percentage of the time in “S” & manual \ manumatic mode.
    2 things about the CTS trans. drove me nuts – to the point that after the first 50 miles or so, I never used that mode again.

Thing 1: In my Corvette, & in the G8 once in a gear ( fourth or fifth or sixth, for example, on the freeway ) it will NOT downshift without a manual request. Ever.
    [ At least not exclusively based on throttle position. ]
    The CTS will downshift based on throttle position – even in ‘manual’ mode. Often shifting down one or 2 or 3 gears. Weird. And not ‘manual’, by my definition. Not exactly sure what GM is thinking here – though I have experienced something similar in a couple of BMW 3s, with their Steptronic automatic.

Thing 2: If accelerating at ( or close to ) WOT, commands to upshift are ignored. Again, my Corvette & G8 will do as told. And again, I have seen this behavior in BMW 3s. Weird.

Both these odd ( to me ) choices in the programming of the CTS automatic are counter-intuitive, to me. And I dislike them both. A lot.

When driven like a luxury car ( the fun portion of my trip, with my Daughter ) the CTS was fine. When I tried to drive it like a Sport Sedan – no dice. Would not work, for me.
    The 6L50, as installed in the CTS I find just weird.
    Very weird.

Again, during the 3 days I spent driving the rental CTS
    driving it as a luxury sedan – not a performance car,
    with my daughter in the right seat, it was OK.

I will refrain from comments about the interior –
    except to mention that I did not find the seats
    particularly comfortable. I find the G8 seats
    very comfortable & supportive. The interior ‘styling’
    of the CTS is purely a personal opinion area.

Now, one ** CAN ** add a navigation system to a CTS –
    and AWD – so if those are deal-breakers, clearly
    the CTS is ‘the winner’.

Just my 0.2 gallons worth . . .

- Ray
    Very pleased with the G8 GT – is that obvious??
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Choices are nice but this is a niche car pulled over here across the world and sold for much less than in its own domestic market. They made it simple (supposedly with options appealing to the Americans and it includes the auto tranny 'cause that is, despite the tough talk, what the majority ends up getting)

The powertrain is rather common - I wouldn't worry about long-term maintenance too much...
  • mrpushrodmrpushrod Member Posts: 80
    I bought the 09 G8 GT over the CTS for two reasons. The main one being interior & trunk room. The other is obviously the LS3. Nothing beats the instantaneous torque from the LS3 V8.

The G8 auto shifts good on the normal setting and is up for some fun in the performance setting. Most normal drivers will be happy the way the LS3 carries the vehicle in normal mode but down shifting is much more responsive in sport mode. It easily out guns Maxima's Altima's, Accords in every situation.

That said, this post has a lot of jokers trying to compare a Accord to either one of these vehicles. You would have to have your head in the sand to not notice the unbalanced (60% front/40%rear) design in the Honda and built in torque steer.. I test drove the Maxima, CTS, STS, Accord and many more sedans prior to my purchase.

One other point, my G8 has been flawless for 10k miles so far. I would not worry about service, The engine is an American pushrod V8
    Too bad the V8 is made in Mexico though... Only the GTO had a true "American" engine.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Glad you are happy with the big V-8 model, love those Detroit polluters...Keep up the footprint.

My joy ride is an 09 Mustang Bullitt along with the 06 GPGT, both noisy with lousy fit and finish.

At 76, I need to get with the program before our incoming president outlaws fun..
    I am seriously confused. . .

The fact that the engine is assembled in Mexico
    means [ to you ] that the engine is not “American”?

The fact that some BMWs are assembled in Africa
    means that they are not German?

And Camaros or Grand Pix assembled in Canada
    are not American cars?

[ edit: And a Honda built in Ohio is ????? ]

Seriously????
    2022 X3 M40i
    I'm sorry that you're confused but I'd prefer to buy stuff that's designed AND built here in the States.

And, yes, I ultimately think that a Honda from Ohio has a more positive economic impact on our country than a G8 imported from Australia (or something made in Canada) that has parts made in Mexico. Factories are getting closed left and right and I'm supposed to be indifferent to where it's assembled? I don't think so.

And funny that you should ask but my co-worker waited quite a long time for her 3-series from Germany rather than taking the South African one.

(And none of it means I won't get the G8 when the time is right)
    I see.
    Kinda.....

[[ I am well aware of the issue -
    and a muddy one it is:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&story=amMadeParts&subject=am- i
    2022 X3 M40i
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    The Asians have about 1500+ Asian owned suppliers in our country pumping out parts for the lovely state-side assy operations..You drivers of Asian cars are funneling the money back to pay the retirement & health benefits of the Japanese workers...and keeping our offshore guys healthy..

Yep! The Big3 uses some lots of parts and assemblies produced in other countries, but the final end is the bulk of the dough stays in the USA...

Any G8 in my garage will be the result of a giveaway by the dealer, $..22,500 w/sunroof. My Bullitt was purchased in Detroit and transported to Venice, Fl by covered carrier..it was a deal...
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Always a great point/perspective to consider from you, cracovian - thanks for posting.
    The G8 deals & GM-card round-up are enticing but currently I won't consider a new car for now unless I got paid and got a new car out of the deal, such as trading 2 used cars for one new G8, plus cash back from dealer.
    If G8 GT were available with stickshift, I'd probably have already made that deal...

To answer your question, wideglide, I understand that GM does not offer the G8 GT with stickshift in USA due to homologation cost being per engine*drivetrain combo, and not enough
    units/model-years to spread/amortize that cost over,
    consider such low production # totals as well as even lower # that could have
    sold as G8-GT with manual-transmission. skippy cheers to all ....
    Have you received any GM card round-up offers yet? I've been waiting for mine and so far nothing... I want $5K like in 2004 :-) I mean if they're going bankrupt and we're covering the losses then we should get something back...
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    craco, yes I got a round-up offer a month or so ago, rounding $2100 up to $3k.
    I think its expired now. /e
    Actually assembly accounts for very little on what goes into building a vehicle. It is a global economy and that we can not change. Parts for all makes come from manufacturers all over the world. Both domestic and foreign manufactures even use the same suppliers in a lot of instances.

There is a lot more to a company than where the vehicle is assembled. For example: Nissan assembles vehicles here but only employs 12k people in the US out of 200k total.
    I for one would like to see GMs Australia's division succeed and send the US a profit check for every vehicle sold abroad. This model seems to work for Honda & Toyota who have raped the US in trade deficits
    I get your point but, c'mon, let's not fool ourselves about the G8 with its 20% American content... The car is 100% Australian design and now the engines are not even made here anymore (V6 is Australian and V8 is Mexican.) I personally don't have a problem with "imports" but IF you really want an American car that truly benefits our economy, you'd probably want to look at the Mustang or similar... The new 2010 is so tempting...
  • carguy89carguy89 Member Posts: 7
    What would happen to all their warranties??? Both new car and the GMPP?? My friend is still undecided on buying out the Honda or going for the G-8 which seems to be way above other GM's in reliability,however it still seems to have some issues(I know no car is perfect,Honda included). What kind of protection does the government offer vif a manufacturer goes under to people who have bought their products!Thanks for any insight about this especially if you live in Canada.
    Their initial bankruptcy would be more like debt restructuring (not paying the creditors, converting bonds to stock, and cutting and/or eliminating benefits.) They will not disappear as a company and as long as they have a business presence in the States and Canada they have to honor their existing warranty commitments.

For example, my Trooper warranty lasts until 2012 and even though Isuzu pulled out of the U.S. market this year, it's valid since they still have their commercial truck business here.
    “IF you really want an American car that truly benefits our economy, you'd probably want to look at the Mustang or similar... The new 2010 is so tempting...”

Um.

I do not see the Mustang as even vaguely comparable
    to a G8 GT. . .

But even if it is \ was:

“Meanwhile, you can thank Mexican workers for the manual transmissions used with either Mustang engine. But if you want the automatic 5-speed, well, they're made in France.”

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2007/12/mustang_vs_camry.html

Has this changed significantly?
    And are there not other Edmunds forums
    where this sort of discussion could continue?
    - Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
    For what it's worth:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-solvency.html

I bought my GMPP for my 'Vette from him...

"As a forum sponsoring dealer and a dealer committed to providing the lowest prices on the General Motors Protection Plan I thought it appropriate to publish this statement from GM.

Thanks to the thousands of you who have placed your confidence in our dealership and for your business. We realize that you have lots of choices when it's time to purchase a Corvette, parts and accessories or a protection plan.

During these times of economic uncertainty you have our promise that we will be here to take care of you!

Email us here for a quote on the GM Protection Plan!
    [ deleted ]

Important Information
    About the Purchase of Your GM Protection Plan
    Ongoing economic turmoil driven by uncertainty in financial markets has created an environment in the financial services sector that is perhaps the most challenging in our nation’s history.
    GMAC Financial Services, which includes GMAC Insurance, has taken several actions recently to strategically manage its various business operations and improve its access to funding during this historic period of financial instability in the global capital and credit markets. In addition, GMAC Insurance continues to operate with a strong balance sheet, significant market presence and an employee base committed to supporting you, our customer.
    Your GM Protection Plan vehicle service contract is a wise and secure purchase. Every GM Protection Plan is 100% insured by a member company of the GMAC Insurance Group. Our companies are highly rated and are regulated by law for the protection of the public.
    A legacy of Service. With over 69 years of experience offering quality insurance and insurance related products and services to automotive dealerships, GMAC Insurance has offered high quality vehicle service contract products and exceptional service to our valued customers for 35 years.
    A strongly rated company. GMAC Insurance maintains a financial strength rating of “A-” (Excellent) from A.M. Best Company, the main rating organization for the insurance industry. The “A-” rating is assigned to companies that have, in the opinion of A.M. Best, an excellent ability to meet their ongoing insurance obligations.
    Protection for your investment. The GMAC Insurance Group of companies is regulated under insurance laws designed to protect you and to enable insurance companies to maintain a sound financial condition.
    Direct claims. Under the terms of your GM Protection Plan vehicle service contract, you have the right to make a claim directly against the GMAC Insurance company backing your GM Protection Plan if necessary. Please refer to your vehicle service contract for details and contact information.
    We value your business. GMAC Insurance remains committed to providing strength and peace of mind in your GM Protection Plan purchase, and we appreciate you as a customer. If you have questions regarding GMAC Insurance during the purchase process of a GM Protection Plan vehicle service contract, we invite you to contact us[ deleted ]
    As of February 3, 2009"
    2022 X3 M40i
    I never said it was 100% American content but it should be pretty obvious to anyone who looks deeper into the issue which car is more beneficial to our economy (applies to any car, not just G8 vs. Mustang.) The bottom line is, I would never claim I'm doing GM (maybe the execs...) or our domestic workers much of a favor by buying a G8. That's all I'm saying.
    Regardless, I am for anything that can help the big three. I have owned American vehicles all my life and actually like them better. Currently I own the G8, vette and F150 (primary vehicle).
    I firmly believe the business model of Toyota & Honda has killed us at our own game. We have unions that have legacy contracts i.e. early retirement (30 yrs), excellent wages and health care, etc. Toy & Hon have none of this and collect a check every time they sell a vehicle assembled in the US. Tell me this is good for our trade deficit.

American's want the best health care & wages when they work but when it comes time for purchase, they run to Wallmart where not one item is made here.

A company consists of many departments that all take a share of the pie to make the entire entity. If you look at Honda, Toyota & Nissan, the lions share is not on our shores.

What is wrong with GM having a presence in Australia? If GM can build, sell, and share designs with a subsidiary that makes a profit for GM, what is the harm?. It doesn't seem to hurt Toyota & Honda over here.
    Holden has been pretty much independent in the way it designs, builds, and sells its vehicles there. It's GM that should be looking and take notice how that subsidiary can survive in such a small and competitive market... Aside from the negative reputation they've worked so hard on for decades, the real downfall of the Big 3 and pretty much every other business now are out-of-control healthcare costs in this country. We have terrible coverage, we and the employers pay drastically more each year, and almost 50 million have none. I'm looking forward to seeing this resolved, now more than ever. It will help everyone.
    Not to get off subject, but we import over a trillion dollars a year more than we export. We are losing our jobs due to this. Some of this is caused by health care and high taxes to businesses, but mostly because our labor is competing with labor that is much cheaper elsewhere. Why do you think you get India when you call HPs support line.
    Are you going to compete with someone making $100 a month in China? When you walk into Verizon, do you by an American made phone or do you buy the cheap LG?

The big three produced more profitable SUVs because they had to. The foreign transplants do not have the legacy overhead and therefore can produce a cheaper small car where the labor differential cost makes it impossible for GM to compete. GM pays the health care for just as many working as non working employees. If they go under, the Gov is going to have to support these people.

We need to stop borrowing money from our kids to pay for all this junk that we do not produce ourselves. Our own president did not want to back up the "buy American" clause in the stimulus package because China threatened a trade war. Obama doesn't want us to take the hit on forcing Americans to lower our life style by purchasing what we make.

We have puchased ourselfs out of our own jobs
  • djohnny2001djohnny2001 Member Posts: 2
    Two questions guys

1. When I stomped the gas on my 09 G8 GT from a standstill why is there an slight hesitation/buck/bogging down and not an instand jump? It remind me of my old 78 Lasabre. Also, my rear wheels do not spin.

2. I have not owned a new 8 cyclinder ever, is the engine "knock" normal? Am I spoiled by the line of silent Nissans I have owned?

P.S.

I received my first traffic violation in 5 years last night (doing 58 in a 40) by a NC trooper.
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    Did you disable traction control first? With traction control on, mine starts to break the tires loose, and then traction control backs off the power. The engine has sensors to prevent knock, so knock is not normal. However, fuel injector ticking is normal.
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    Have a new G8 GT on order and a little concerned about winter handling since I live in the North. Can anyone comment how driving in snow has been this winter? Has anyone been using snow tires on their G8 and can share their experience with any particular brand? Thanks.
  • bowtiefan1bowtiefan1 Member Posts: 25
    Check out www.G8Board.com. Lots of posts about winter driving/handling/tires, etc. there.
  • carguy89carguy89 Member Posts: 7
    Hi: Anyone having problems with their G-8 in this area?Car will be kept totally stock(V-6)? Over in Australia they are having problems with it coming on and off.Thanks(This is the forum I'm referring to if anyone wants to read about it). For some reason link isn't working just type in to your address bar should take you to the site?

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...2-esp-off.html
  • shadezshadez Member Posts: 2
    1st off, tan leather looks absolutely horrible, try a winshield screen or a towel on the seat if you have sissy skin. Plus are you kidding me with the woodgrain garbage? No car looks good with WOOD in it, why dont you buy a covered wagon, it isnt furniture it is a sports car.
  • shadezshadez Member Posts: 2
    red dashlights are awesome, what would you prefer, boring white or maybe green? lol comon
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    If you could put the center dash stack from the 09 Maxima in this car it would be perfect! And why no Nav option for the G8? GM has a great Nav unit it should be available. And the entire department responsible for the power seat controls should be fired. Though I was in a 2008, maybe they went full power seats for 09?
    "maybe they went full power seats for 09? "
    Nope...
    - Ray
    09 G9 GT driver...
    2022 X3 M40i
    If they could keep the Nav system and center dash stack on the Maxima and swap out the junk FWD front heavy unbalanced platform & lackluster V6 with the G8s balanced RWD chassis/platform and pushrod V8 they Maxima might be a decent car
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, that would be awesome and "smart" to put navigation within the system of the screen they already have. Using Onstar and XM traffic service, it would make for a perfect combo. This is where it gets a bit dated. The resources are there, why not use them. I would like to point out that when I was going to florida, I pretty much saw every car on the road with a portable nav unit on the windshield. Practically every car. People want and love this! Makes for a more peaceful drive. If it wasn't for my Iphone, I would get one in my car. Even suzuki is putting nav in their lower trimmed cars. This is where the technology and our future is going. Personally, it should all be standard now. Those that have it as an option should make it standard now. But still be cost effective. Which I think it is getting better. Makes sense to me.

Also, I believe that GM is a little dated in creating dash gauges. The G8 is better than the other GM cars and tastefully done. Simple, but they need to put a little more thought it to the creation of gauges. Since you do look at them more than any part of the car. I love the red lighted gauges, and on some GM cars, it is blue. Nice! GM is slowly coming away from the old school gauges.

One thing I loved about my 06 Accord was the fact that the gauges were lit at all times, when the car was off, you could barely see the gauges, Made to glow. it was made like that. Although the new 08 Accord doesn't use that method anymore. But they have a more high end gauge. I wish my G6 gauges stay lit all the time. Without having every light on. Headlights and gauges are different. Its nice to have them lit.

Anyway. lol The G8 gauges are simply done, rather than they tacky, overdone, previous gauges GM has made.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Wow what quick wit you have! :D
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 146
    1st off, tan leather looks absolutely horrible, try a winshield screen or a towel on the seat if you have sissy skin. Plus are you kidding me with the woodgrain garbage? No car looks good with WOOD in it, why dont you buy a covered wagon, it isnt furniture it is a sports car.

I'll bet you wear baggy pants, and have a big sub-woofer in your trunk. Tan and/or gray leather looks great IMO, and apparently a lot of other people's as well. Sorry, I grew out of the all black Darth Vader look about 20 years ago. No car looks good with wood?!? Yeah, all those Mercedes, BMW's, Audis, Jaguars, and Aston Martins have terrible looking interiors, right? What is a classic interior to you, a 90's Grand AM? And the G8 is certainly NOT a sports car. A sports sedan, maybe. Sports cars generally have two seats, and do without a lot of creature comforts and a soft ride, in the name of lighter weight and better absolute handling at the limit. Sports sedans generally have 4 doors, room for 4 or 5 people, lots of creature comforts, and try to strike a compromise between handling and cruising comfort. If you're still confused about the difference, go to your library and read the last 10 years of Road & Track and Car and Driver. And I pretty much won't consider the G8 GT a proper sports sedan, until they offer it with a manual transmission.
    And I pretty much won't consider the G8 GT a proper sports sedan, until they offer it with a manual transmission.
    The G8 GXP automatic is faster than the manual. Does the fun of shifting outweigh the fun of performance? Also, the automatic is much more entertaining after a Superchips Cortex tune.
    It far outweighs it, as far as I'm concerned! In the real world, a tenth or two mean absolutely nothing, unless you're drag racing (in a straight line) for pink slips. The greater control a manual gives totally outweighs the small difference in straight line performance. Unless you live in Kansas or Florida, the real world has curves, hills, etc.... I can go much faster in a manual equipped car. It is also so very much more of an involving, rewarding and fun driving experience. Probably gets better fuel economy, too. Autos are boring. To me, using automatic and entertaining in the same sentence is a contradiction of terms, not unlike military intelligence or McDonalds and delicious! ;)
    I have driven V8s with automatic transmissions
    and ‘manumatic’ functionality since late 1999.
    [ Lincoln LS Sport 3.9L V8 and five speed auto. ]

The Current 6L80 in the G8 GT is, by far, the best, IMHO.

I drove a Corvette with an automatic labeled
    also as a 6L80 for over 30,000 miles.
    This G8 ‘version’ is superior in several respects:

The Sport \ Manual Mode = DSC shifts quickly.
    Specifically, the response to manual commands
    [ the time between moving the shift lever and
    the beginning of shift execution ]
    is short. This is good.

When driving [ um ] briskly, but not ** VERY **
    briskly, the shift execution I find is a very good
    compromise between quickness & smoothness.
    The style of the shifts are very similar to what one might
    choose if driving a manual trans. and not hurrying.
    The electronic throttle is reduced and \ or timing
    is pulled at the beginning of the shift, and
    as the next gear is engaged, the throttle \ timing
    is re-applied smoothly – and on we go.

When driving more briskly, the shift execution
    seems quicker, but still very smooth.

The downshift rev-match is nearly perfect.
    The RPM rise exactly to where they must be for
    a smooth transition to the next lower gear.
    Well done, indeed.
    And on we go.

The Sport Automatic mode is improved even more
    than the Sport \ Manual mode over the prior
    6L80, as installed in the 2007 Corvette.

The timing and execution of the shifts is much
    better, and the response to throttle input is
    much quicker and much more consistent.

The multiple downshifts – say from cruise in sixth
    at 50 or 60 to second or third gear as a result of
    slamming the pedal to the floor are both quick,
    & smooth - not jarring. Very well done.

No transmission [ automatic or manual ] will
    likely please everyone all the time – but the 6L80
    in my G8 GT pleases me every time I drive it . . .

Just my 0.02 gallons worth . . .
    - Ray
    Driving and driving and driving . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    " go to your library and read the last 10 years of Road & Track and Car and Driver. And I pretty much won't consider the G8 GT a proper sports sedan, until they offer it with a manual transmission. "

Well:
    "Handsome styling, great motor with fine response, excellent 6-speed automatic transmission and a reasonable price make this a very entertaining sports sedan — I like it," wrote Editor-in-Chief Thos L. Bryant.
    R&T's test of the G8 GT... with automatic trans.
    - Ray
    From my library...
    2022 X3 M40i
    " go to your library and read the last 10 years of Road & Track and Car and Driver. And I pretty much won't consider the G8 GT a proper sports sedan, until they offer it with a manual transmission. "

From Googling:

"sport truck is nearly identical to the G8 sports sedan."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_- - cars/most_significant_debuts_at_the_2008_new_york_auto_show_auto_show/2010_ponti- - ac_g8_sport_truck_auto_show

and from other magazines,

"AUTO SHOWS: 2008 Pontiac G8 Sports Sedan"
    http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_chicago/0702_2008_pontiac_g8/

"The G8s are an accomplished family of sport sedans,"
    http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Pontiac_G8/

etc.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Purchased a new 2009 G8 GT on March 24 (Maverick Silver/Sport/Premium/Sunroof) for $27,246. One year ago the Pontiac dealers in my area were demanding $3-5,000 over MSRP ($36-38,000). This is a great $27,000 car; not a very good $37,000 car. A friend once told me, "your expectations of something are in direct relation to how much you paid for it." I believe that's why G8 sales are increasing in contradiction of the market (and especially GMs market) in general. At $27-28,000 this car represents good value; not at $32-35,000 MSRP. The only things it doesn't have that I really would like are memory seats/mirrors and Homelink. The Homelink I can add later the same way I did in my GTO. Memory seats are available on the Holden models in Australia; sure wish they hadn't nixed those on our G8s. I've had a lot of trouble getting the seat adjusted properly (being 6'3'' and with a sunroof sucking 2-inches of headroom, it's not easy) and I know the first time the wife drives the car it will take me days to get it back right again. Car sure is fun to drive, though, and looks great.
    I had a Corvette with an automatic trans.
    Many posts on the various Corvette Forums I frequented
    before & during my ownership were essentially:

A Sports Car is not really a Sports Car
    if equipped with an automatic.

And \ or:

A Corvette is not really Corvette
    unless equipped with a manual trans.

While I certainly respect the view that
    a manual trans. has certain attributes
    that may enhance the driving experience
    for some – the reality is that
    [ when last I checked ]
    over two thirds of Corvettes were
    sold with the automatic trans.

If you choose not to buy a G8 GT
    because it is only available with
    an automatic trans. – fine.

If you will only consider a car with
    a manual trans – well,
    the debate rages on here - Future of the Manual Trans. - discussion:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef6716a/4576
    2022 X3 M40i
    I drive a C5 vette with a manual 6 speed and a G8 GT with a auto. The G8 in sport mode is not bad. It is quick to downshift and ready to go in most instances. I have killed every Acura, Maxima, Altima, Accord that has tried to play with the G8. Even my conservative wife couldn't resist waving bye bye to a Maxima which pulled up to her at a red light.

The thing about the G8 and other RWD cars is the weight transfer you get to the drive wheels when accelerating. The faster you accerate the more weight you get over the drive tires.

A manual transmission is especially tricky with FWD off of the line because if you overdo it the front end lifts as the weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle and there goes the traction. The Accord sits and burns when the too much power is used in initial takeoff .

There is somewhat less control with an auto but there is a definite advantage too. Every time you shift a manual transmission there is no power delivery to the drive wheels. This is why autos can deliver better 0-60 runs in some situations. I also find the delay can hurt when dogging around on a crowded highway when short bursts of power is desired.

I believe in the end sophisticated semi automatics will prevail as they are coming available on some of the exotic sport cars.
    “Purchased a new 2009 G8 GT on March 24 (Maverick Silver/Sport/Premium/Sunroof)”

You have wonderful taste.
    [ kidding ]
    Your ’09 sounds a lot like mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/new%20G8%20GT%202009/MYg8gttocro- pP1320363cropnewG8GT2009.jpg

I agree regarding the pricing issue – one reason that I waited until late last Fall to make my purchase.

Having looked extensively at every other Sport Sedan with roughly comparable performance, dynamics & comfort, I believe that at $30K or less [ actual transaction price ], the G8 GT is untouchable. If those are your personal priorities.

If a [ fairly good ] V6 is OK, the new Infiniti G37 sedan w/7 speed trans. sounds possibly comparable. There were none available for me to test drive when I was ready to decide.

YMMV.
    - Ray
    Very happy with the G8 GT’s “bang for the buck” index . . .
    2022 X3 M40i

Well:
    "Handsome styling, great motor with fine response, excellent 6-speed automatic transmission and a reasonable price make this a very entertaining sports sedan — I like it," wrote Editor-in-Chief Thos L. Bryant.
    R&T's test of the G8 GT... with automatic trans.

Hi Ray...

I made the comment about reading R&T and C&D to the original poster to differentiate the difference between a "sports car", and a "sports sedan". I think the G8 is a great car, and I want one! But they're not getting my money until they offer the GT with a manual, and some interior choices other than black. (I know they offer a two-tone black/red, but that wouldn't go so well with magnetic grey!)

Mark
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    Agreed, every car is evaluated relative to its price. People can argue specifics all they want, but the bottom line is that for the low-20's (V6) or upper-20's (loaded V8) this is one fine car.
    There is somewhat less control with an auto but there is a definite advantage too. Every time you shift a manual transmission there is no power delivery to the drive wheels. This is why autos can deliver better 0-60 runs in some situations. I also find the delay can hurt when dogging around on a crowded highway when short bursts of power is desired.

One of the disadvantages of an AT is the power loss from the torque converter when it's not locked up. There's less power reaching the drive wheels, compared to the direct gears of a manual.
    One of the disadvantages of an AT is the power loss from the torque converter when it's not locked up. There's less power reaching the drive wheels, compared to the direct gears of a manual.

This is true and was a big issue in the old days with 3 speeds. That said, autos these days lock up when cruising on the highway (very little loss in MPG). The electronic lock is released on acceleration. Some of the sophisticated semi autos do not have this hangup.

The other big advantage to a manual is being able to dump the clutch from a standstill. This is especially an advantage on 4WD 4 cyl cars like the WRX which can grip during the influx of energy. It is a false launch as these vehicles show there real colors (lack of torque) once the engine slows down. Some of these 4WD vehicles accelerate to 60 faster under slippery conditions. It utilizes the engine momentum for a longer time.

A buddy of mine did this with his WRX all the time. The car sounded like it was going to blow up when he did it
This discussion has been closed.