Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    The other big advantage to a manual is being able to dump the clutch from a standstill.

The G8 GT has enough torque that the limiting factor with both the manual and automatic is melted tires during takeoff.

The gear ratio of the G8 GXP provides closer shifting points (in terms of mph) at the expense of potentially needing extra shifts.
    The G8 GXP automatic is faster than the manual.

I'm no longer sure about my above claim. Pontiac Performance just printed an article that claims the manual is "a hair quicker" than the automatic. An earlier Edmunds article claimed "the Pontiac guys casually mentioned that a GXP equipped with the automatic will out-accelerate the version with a manual transmission". Somebody needs to go buy both and compare them.
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 146
    Somebody needs to go buy both and compare them.

Hell yeah, sign me up!!! BTW, who's paying?!? ;)
    'm no longer sure about my above claim. Pontiac Performance just printed an article that claims the manual is "a hair quicker" than the automatic. An earlier Edmunds article claimed "the Pontiac guys casually mentioned that a GXP equipped with the automatic will out-accelerate the version with a manual transmission".

This is not surprising. With the auto, it's pretty much a matter of holding the pedal to the metal (with maybe some powerbraking). With the manual, there are a lot more variables, not the least of which is (manual transmission) driving skills. So it only goes to figure there would be differing results there. Personally, I'll do the shifting myself.... then again, over the last 30 years, probably 75% of my cars have been manuals.... Most of the automatics have been "fill-in cars" - like my current Acura CL 3.0 - that bridge the gap between the cars I really want. Right now, I'm debating whether to use my tax check to fix my wrecked (since 2005) 2000 SVT Contour, or buy something new, or slightly used. The Contour isn't blindingly fast (0-60 in 6.9), but it is a blast to drive on a mountain road, and has very neutral handling for a FWD car. And it only has 45k on the clock, and is paid for, which is always a plus. :)
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    I assume you are driving the V-6 model, which is a 4000# sedan with 260+HP. My interest is your overall opinion of the car and any concerns of reliable service from bankrupt GM in the future..

The domestic auto guys are in shambles, and dealers are folding up shop in groves, so there is concern for service, parts, and resale value. The White house turkeys are hell-bent on reforming our good old gas habits and make golf carts the standard wheels..

Owned 43 cars in my 75 yrs., lots of the Grand Prixs in the early to mid seventies w/big blocks--great machines..Interested in trading the 2006 GPGT in on something larger offering more comfort for four..My 09 Bullitt has taken care of the performance need along with the racket, however my interest is coming back to the G8 for pleasure..Any info would be helpful..
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Purchased a new 2009 G8 GT..."
    "I assume you are driving the V-6 model..."

By definition, a G8 GT is a 6.0L V8.
    Not the V6.
    - Ray
    09 G8 GT driver...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I don' think they were using the term V6 to offend you. They just got mixed up on the models. lol. :shades:
    I certainly was not offended...
    Just offering a clarification.
    - Ray
    2EC69 driver...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Don't need any info on G8, for the Pontiac Divison was just killed..I will keep the 06 GPGT and hug my "2009 Mustang Bullitt".

Obama was driving a Chrysler 300C w/Hemi before his nomination, however he switched to a Hybrid Ford SUV.. Don't you just love the double stds of the left-hand..

I was a 3-time Intrigue Owner having had a 1998,1999, and 2002 when GM killed olds Div..great cars..
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    I'm glad they killed this dreadful range of cars. However with respect to the G8, If GM has any sense they will bolt the Holden front grille back on it and sell it as a Chevrolet - a Corvette stablemate. Then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I have little interest in driving around in something that looks like a rental car. My reaction is probably what has been killing sales for the G8 in the US. The car is good, the Pontiac image sucks. Now Pontiac has gone maybe this Holden import has a chance.
    Buick is a dying brand in the USA. Why not combine Cadillac and Buick into a single division called Cadillac in the USA and Buick in China? The few remaining USA Buick buyers would be happy to get a bargain Cadillac. Why get rid of "sporty" Pontiac when it is likely to rebound with the economy? If they want to shed yet another division, get rid of GMC whose profitability depends on mass-market gas-guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks that have no place in our brave new world (particularly if CAFE standards are logically applied to "passenger" trucks).
    If they want to shed yet another division, get rid of GMC whose profitability depends on mass-market gas-guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks that have no place in our brave new world

That is not GMC's main profitability. Most of GMC's profits come from their commercial vehicles, like dump trucks, large van and stake bodies, busses, and even tractors (as in tractor-trailers). IMO, GMC is a division that is critical to GM. I do agree with you that GM should dump Buick, not Pontiac. The only people buying Buicks are old men with white hair with matching belts and shoes. And polyester slacks. Buick builds the kind of cars that put GM in the place they are in now. Can they really not see that??? :confuse:
  • mrpushrodmrpushrod Member Posts: 80
    I really wish biased magazines like consumer reports would lay off the American nameplates. They won't be happy until everyone is driving a boring Camry or Accord. They recommend large sedans like the unwieldy handling Avalon even though it posted the slowest speed in their accident avoidance maneuvers.

They tested the G8 GT without the performance tire and wheel option. How lame.

CR's reliability are ratings are so out of touch with any other surveys. The survey is only sent to their biased CR subscribers unlike more reputable and creditable surveys such as J. D. Powers. The American nameplate does not have a chance these days.

The G8 was the only decent large balanced RWD sedan on the market under 50k. The only competition is a 5 series.

I wish there was a way to hurt CR in the pocket. They are on the take by rating vehicles according to the demographics of their readers.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    I recently bought a '09 Pontiac G8, and love it (so far). I am rooting for the big-3.
    I also have subscribed to Consumer Reports for over 20 years and appreciate their genuine attempts at unbiased reviews....otherwise all we would have to go by is sales hype. I am really tired of various people complaining that CR is biased against American cars. All they do is report on what their hundreds of thousands of subscribers say, which is as valid a database as any; and explains why American en masse have switched from domestic cars to Toyotas and Hondas --- they are tired of paying big dollars for unexpected repairs, and getting peanuts at trade-in time. It's a bottom-line thing, people are tired of getting short-changed, and now the "pigeons have come home to roost" as they say, for the domestic auto makers. Unfortunately it requres athreat of bankruptcy before they will "ake up and smell thecoffee."
    CR’s auto reliability survey data never correlates with any other online surveys or even J. D. Powers for that matter. This phenomena occurs because CRs surveys are sent only to subscribers of CR which is a magazine that constantly ranks on the reliability and performance of anything with an American nameplate; that definitely affect the statistics.

In my opinion, if CR really wanted to understand why this phenomenon of constant differential in survey data occurs, they would create a fair survey and send it to a random audience (not exclusively subscribers of a biased magazine) like the reputable independent market research J. D. Powers does. CR should want to understand why their surveys do not correlate with any others and deliver a product to the customer that is accurate and sound. As I pointed out many times, I know many people totally satisfied with the reliability and quality of American nameplate vehicles that avoid and dismiss CR due to their heavy bias toward Japanese auto manufactures. These same people gladly fill out J. D Powers surveys and not just for the dollar they give you in advance either. I personally filled out J. D. Powers auto surveys for 4 new American vehicle purchases since 2005 and nixed CRs survey on each because I too always dismiss CR’s because of the magazines heavy bias.
    CR claims their surveys are “Completed by readers and subscribers of Consumer Reports (Both Magazine and online)”

That is the description of a demographic:
    “marketing a part of a population identified as a group, especially as a target for sales or advertising”

That exact phrase is what makes J. D. Powers and many other surveys fair and concise. They do not send it only to an audience that purchases a biased magazine that has constantly ranked on and downed American car manufactures for 25 years now. They send the survey out to random people and report the results without insults to one brand or another. If you read CR’s forums you can see the bias in CRs subscribers. The forum consists of a core group who will tell you an American vehicle can’t go 100k trouble free miles. They claim this even the most reliable nameplate on the planet such as Buick. Or the most reliable midsize cars on the market, such as the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. Yet not one of these members has owned an American nameplate vehicle in 25 years.
    CRs comments on the their golden top rated Toyota brand Avalon. I wouldn’t put it past CR to create a straight test track to test the next Gen Avalon. The G8 is a perfectly competent sedan with the wrong brand name:

“Make no mistake, though, thinking that the Avalon competes with other sports sedans. The soft suspension absorbs bumps well, but body lean is evident in turns, and the car lacks agility. Stability control is standard for 2009
    The Avalon rides very comfortably and quietly. But because of its relatively soft suspension, the car tends to float a bit when encountering road dips at highway speeds. Handling is responsive but far from sporty, with overly light steering.
    Make no mistake, though, thinking that the Avalon competes with other sports sedans. The soft suspension absorbs bumps well, but body lean is evident in turns, and the car lacks agility.
    The Avalon displayed significant lean in corners. The steering is light and lacks feedback, but response to input is appropriate. At its limits on our handling course, it understeers predictably. It posted a rather low speed in our avoidance maneuver, and the electronic stability control (ESC) was needed to keep it on course.

Braking performance was very good, but the pedal felt soft.
    The manual adjustments for steering wheel tilt and telescope operate independently, making it fussy to fine-tune a comfortable position. Visibility is good, but the rear view is obscured by large roof pillars. The large, flat front seats are well-cushioned and comfortable but lack lateral support.
    Some of the climate controls are a bit of a reach, and the hidden mirror and panel illumination controls are minor gripes.”
    CR - I wish, I really wish . . .
    “They tested the G8 GT without the performance tire and wheel option. How lame.”

I know there are always CR haters around -
    but I subscribe -
    and I was ( pleasantly ) surprised that:
    1 - CR tested the GT \ V8 version,
    not the V6.
    and
    2 - They actually had quite a few
    very positive comments!!

Including:
    “Highs
    Acceleration, transmission, steering, handling, ride, rear seat, value.”
    "As a bargain sports sedan that can
    challenge the performance of models
    from BMW and Mercedes, the
    Pontiac G8 is a success."
    and:
    "The G8 is a fun car to hustle through
    corners and has agile handling.
    The steering is quick and well weighted
    and gives excellent feedback.
    At the limit, the G8 is stable,
    well balanced, and responsive."
    Even ** WITHOUT ** the [ Sport ]
    performance wheel & tire option...

I found their comments interesting -
    particularly since CR is ** NOT **
    an enthusiast magazine...
    Cheers,
    - Ray
    Enjoying the 'responsive' aspects
    with each drive....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Fritz Henderson, in answering an Australian reporter, said the G8 will be phased out by end of this year...
    Exactly Ray, see what I mean. Now look at the Consumer Reports "New sedans ratings". They put it at the bottom of the heap because it has an American Nameplate.

G8 -- 75
    Maxima -- 83
    Avalon 89 --

The Avalon had the lowest speed through CRs accident avoidance The vehicle uses the air bag as an integral part of accident avoidance. Safety takes a back seat when Toyota and Honda are concerned.

CR is a biased magazine that has an agenda to suit the demographics of their readers in order to sell more magazines. They use the biased reliability data to further insult the American nameplates in the magazine. Why can't they do a fair survey like Powers and others and send the reliability surveys to a random audience? If they did the results would be more in-line with Powers and others. CRs data is tainted and biased. I suggest anyone looking for true reliability ratings to look elsewhere for reputable sources such as J. D. powers who use integrity to collect data. CR leads the witness to sell more magazines.

CRs Vehicle ratings
    G8 -- 75 -- Bottom of the head.
    Avalon 89 -- This vehicle uses the air bag as an integral part of accident avoidance
    Maxima -- 83

Ect, etc, etc. Now if you look at motortrend, edmunds, Edmunds owners survey or any other reputable publication, the Maxima is not a superior vehicle.

Furthermore, notice how poorly the G8 did on braking without the performance tires. Over 19' longer. CR should be recommending the tires as a safety feature. Consumer Reports does shabby work and is sinking the big three to sell more magazines.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Aren't those performance tires an option??? If G8 does poorly without them then shouldn't you blame GM for going cheap instead of the reviewers and consumers who'll get the common trim that's sitting and rusting on dealer lots?
    I see no point in arguing your statements regarding CR.
    Clearly you have strongly held views on the magazine.
    Fine. I have no interest in that debate.

As an appliance, I do see areas where the G8 GT falls short.

I rarely even look at their ‘overall score’, as their priorities and the weighting of various vehicle attributes are [ rather significantly ] different than mine.

If one [ primarily ] views an automobile as an appliance, I doubt the G8 GT would rise to the top of a desirability list.

With 6,000+ miles on my 2009 G8 GT, and having recently purchased a car with an MSRP over $50K [ a Corvette ] I think that if anyone is – or expects that they might soon be - in the market for a car with the dynamic abilities of a BMW 535 or 550, you at least owe it to yourself to drive a G8 GT.

Clearly, if certain features that are not available on the G8 GT are critical to you [ NAV, AWD, HUD ] the G8 GT is a non-starter.

But if the size, acceleration, handling and overall performance abilities are your highest priorities, I think the G8 GT deserves at least a thorough test drive.

If you can afford a BMW 5 series, and you like the interior & exterior styling of the current generation 5 series – and what the BMW 5 series does offer that the G8 GT does not seems worth the additional $$s, to you - well, good for you.

If you want much of the performance ‘goodness’ of a $50K - $60K+ BMW in a bargain package, I believe the G8 GT is worth a close look.

I replaced a car with a current MSRP roughly comparable to a BMW 535 with a few options. One could therefore argue that I could ‘afford’ a BMW 5. I chose a G8 GT – for $20K+ fewer dollars.

Will there [ potentially ] be service issues in the future for the G8 GT, possibly – though due as much to the Australian origins as to the brand being dismantled, I’d guess.

Will the depreciation \ resale \ trade-in value be hurt by the Pontiac brand’s demise – probably. But I bought mine with that expectation. And I will likely buy a GMPP extended warrantee \ service agreement to allow myself the option to drive my G8 GT until the disposal value is so low that any added ‘hit’ from the Pontiac brand issue will be nominal.

Right here, right now – and looking as far ahead as I can – I still see this as an opportunity to buy a very competent, RWD, V8 sedan that is an absolute joy to drive, at a very reasonable price.

For me [ biased, obviously ] the G8 GT provides 90+% of a BMW 535 or 550 performance experience for [ way ] less $$s spent.

I am not sure anything that depreciates as quickly as a[ny] car can be called a bargain, but for me, the G8 GT comes very close indeed.

YMMV.

- Ray
    Sad that the brand I recall from GTO & 2+2 days will be gone . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The G8 will be an early casualty, with production ENDING late 2009. The G8 will not be moved to a different make. Incentives will be increased as needed to clear dealer inventory. Makes no sense to me, but here it is:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-g8-production-to-cease-this-year-with-no-pon- tiac-models-to-survive-beyond-2010.html
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    GM could have sold way more G8's if it had a lower price for the base sedan, it was priced too close to the GT and should have been $25-26k instead of $27-28K starting out.
    Actually, the G8 does better than average in breaking without the performance tires and way above average with the performance tires (107-111ft from 60mph). After all it is not a front heavy unbalanced piece of ???? like the Avalon.

I would say stopping 19' shorter from 60MPH is a safety feature that can save the vehicle (avoid an accident, lockup on the highway) and can also in rare cases save a life.

That said, unfortunately you are learning this from me and not the haphazard testers @ Consumer Reports.

Those clowns tested a G8 listing for $33,660 against a golden (Toyota brand) Lexus ES which they optioned to the hilt listing in at $41,289.

To add insult they did not spring for the optional tires in the Pontiac. Of course not. Check it out for yourself Ray. You are too trusting.

If Consumer Reports did opt for the tires, then they would have had to rate the Pontiac "Much better than average" on braking and lets not forget the Pontiac carries an American nameplate. Bad for business because CR's subscriber demographics are largely Toyota, Honda and Nissan.

Now take a reputable vehicle testing publication like Motortrend or Edmunds. They opted for the tire package.

CR is has a very slippery agenda to sell magazines even if it means blind sighting the customer into not knowing about a safety option.

I don't know anyone happy with an American nameplate vehicle that does not ignore and dismiss their reliability surveys. As a matter of fact, a lot of people stay away from CR because of their biases period.

Thankfully, J D Powers is quickly becoming the gold standard for reliability ratings. Even Obama sited J. D. Powers (NOT CR) in one of his speeches.
    Ok, we have similar tastes Ray. I too own a C5 vette with less than 30k miles on it. My primary vehicle is a F150. The 09 G8 GT is a daily driver for my wife. She was looking for an appliance but refuses to drive a vehicle with torque steer.

Most people would strive to eliminate torque steer and the unbalanced feel of a Japanese appliance if they had the opportunity to alternate between a FWD & RWD vehicle as we have.

The G8 is no vette, but it makes an excellent daily driver for the NE cities where people tend to drive very aggressive.

The NAV is no big deal, Garmin 880 is an excellent portable NAV. Wish it had the FORD sync system though. The onstar phone is a nice touch.

That said, if I owned a Accord, Avalon or Maxima both my wife & I would be wishing for different chassis.

I remember the GTO days too. Very sad. I chalk the failures to the dumb deals made with the UAW which no longer serve any purpose.

Ford the second made the comment in the 70s that the American car companies would die in 30 years when he witnessed the Japanese transplants move in. Americans can no-longer rely on pensions and free health care. It is a global economy and we can't expect to earn the best wages and healthcare and drive our Nissans to shop at Walmart where everything is made in China by people earning $50 a week without healthcare.
    I've always loved the G8 and I've also liked CR data that comes directly from consumers. It's been spot on with many cars I've had and been exposed to. JD Powers doesn't go beyond 4 years in reliability and that's where American cars had suffered historically. Recent Focuses and Fusions or the Malibus may be great and are highly recommended (as noted by CR) but it takes years to re-establish what's been lost. The cheap bast@rds owe it to themselves and not some magazine that is mostly quite objective (gotta give them credit for destroying Suzuki and Isuzu in NA though)

I didn't know you could pick and choose your options with the G8 as opposed to grabbing what's on the dealer lot... They took whatever the commonly-stocked car comes with.
    mrpushrod is like so many of the Detroit-3 apologists over the years: whenever the facts are not as you would like them to be, you vehemently attack the messenger. CR is not perfect, but they have a statistically valid database of car owners from which to draw their reliability ratings. Oh, there's JD Powers? ALL of their funding comes from the domestic auto makers...no bias there. Detroit learned too late that quality and resale value are very important to car buyers. Instead time after time they attacked their critics and increased the advertising budget rather than making it right. GM, Ford and Chrysler have the best engineers in the world, they are just shackled by the cost-cutters in management who every time place this year's bonus ahead of long-tern quality; and the greedy unions who continually push to give less work for more pay. THOSE are the self-inflicted wounds that brought Detroit to its knees. I really want to see a strong domestic auto industry, but worldwide competition and this deep recession have brought to light how deeply flawed are the Detroit-3. Certainly not unrecoverable, but attacking the source of valid statistics that unfavorable, rather than taking a long look in the mirror, is part of the problem.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    If I was in the market today I would buy a G8 in a second. Best Pontiac ever very likely... I really hope it comes back as the new Impala or something.

Sad to see the name die but Solstice and G8 were really the only models worth saving. I think they could have sold them with Buick but CEO Obama must have said no. Bum!

Sad to see ya go G8!
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The loss of the brilliant G8 is the result when the people let a far left socialist government control the car industry.

In the near future the only choices left to drive will be Ladas and Yugos.
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    I agree.
    Are you people crazy??? If it hadn't been for the "socialist" government this company would have been dead a long time ago. The only socialist factor you could technically claim is the unions that brought this upon themselves on top of the utter mismanagement that's been going on for years.

G8, just like any other "domestic" car has been selling at a loss. The only positive economic gain here would be if the whole company shut down. However, we can always print more cash and spread the burden around. That's what socialist governments do. Too bad we don't have pseudo full employment, free healthcare and education that should come with that too :)
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    The demise of pontiac has increased the chances I may try to snag a M6 G8 GXP for $34k or a G8 GT for $24k.
    Out of the 1200 G8s on the boat currently, I wonder how many are M6... :shades:
    It'd be nice to try but do you think the rebates will back it up? Despite all the talk GM has had very low incentives across the line in the past year - It doesn't seem like they really care...
    Well, don't forget GM has been doing right from day 1, so they have done nothing wrong. Everything is normal and there is that unprecedented customer protection package. We should have total confidence. After all they get better mileage and value than the Accord or Toyota. However, they cannot compete with the Honda lawn mower. Also, GM may not have any money right now, but they are willing to make your car payments for up to 9mths. Heck, they can make all the payments for the workers they will lay off. But, only for 9mths. Hopefully, their factory will re-open.

Do not buy new, buy used. I am not sure any rebates will be able to bring the cost down to its true value. I want to dump my 08 G6 lease. Right now! This is crap!
    Clearly, if certain features that are not available on the G8 GT are critical to you [ NAV, AWD, HUD ] the G8 GT is a non-starter.

You forgot one: MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I could care less about a nav system, or a HUD, but for me, a proper sports sedan does not have a slushbox. Hopefully Ford will see the light, and offer a MTX on the upcoming Taurus SHO (twin turbo V-6 with 365 HP). It is really sad, though, that GM won't sell the G8 (or the Solstice) as a Chevy. It is these kind of management blunders that put them in the state they are in. :sick:
    "You forgot one: MANUAL TRANSMISSION."
    Agreed. I know that some do prefer that.
    [ Forgot primarily because I could not care less. ]
    And I am still surprised, given the initial announcement [ Feb 7, 2007 ] included specific reference to a manual trans. for the G8 GT:

Powertrain
    The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard ... An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Well, first the Malibu off my short list, now the G8.

Does anyone think GM might re-package it as an Impala, I'd love to see that.
    This question has been asked many times since the ‘official’ death of Pontiac was announced.

The following is from what I’d consider the best source I have seen comment on that possibility.

Bottom line = not likely.
    [ Scott Settlemire \ Fbodfather is the man at GM \ Chevy in charge of bringing back the Camaro – and thus I’d suggest he is much more of an authority than anyone else I have seen comment. ] BTW: His Company Car, until he received his Camaro recently, was a G8 GT.

[ Edit: ]
    The question, for those who don't want to 'jump' to
    & read that thread:
    "Scott-
    MANY people are hoping GM will save the Pontiac G8 GT/GXP and rebadge it as a Chevrolet for the U.S. market.
    Considering the G8 is ALREADY being built as a Lumina SS for other markets,
    it would be a senseless tragedy to kill off this GREAT GM sedan for the U.S. market.
    MANY people LOVE the G8 and I was under the impression there was a possibility for G8 law enforcement and government fleet sales.

Please post in this thread to keep us updated on this situation and let us know what the community can do to save the Zeta sedan for the U.S. market."

The answer:
    “It isn't quite that easy to take the Middle East Lumina and bring it over here -- that car has hundreds of engineering changes and parts and components changes that would need to be made in order to make it compliant with U.S. Safety/Crashworthiness/Fuel System/Emissions Systems standards -- and I don't see us spending any money right now on something like this -- there is just too many other things that need to be done right now.” - Scott

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=437517#post437517

His post is approx. one third down the page.

- Ray
    Hanging onto my G8 GT – for now . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I'd hate to be one of those workers that's about to be laid off since they need to be employed for at least 90 days after buying the car to qualify for that "unprecedented" customer protection package...

There's no reason to diss Honda by comparing their engines to lawn mowers since it shows how little you know... Check your data and compare the specs to some of GM's latest Korean and Chinese inventions. They only now started catching up in the four and six cylinder department.

I agree that they've done nothing wrong but $2K rebates on Suburbans and $3K on Tahoes, for example, have contributed to the 50% drop in sales for sure. Even Toyota offers more in terms of rebates and that truly is unprecedented.

$3K on G8s is welcomed but those who remember GTO promotions back in the day ($10.5K PLUS zero financing) know we can try to wait them out :)
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    When GM killed Olds they sent me a $1,000 voucher good toward the purchase of any new GM vehicle as compensation for the reduced resale value of my '99 Intrigue. Wonder if they'll do anything similar for recent Pontiac buyers? I'm betting....

Not.
    See, I find that using a G8 or a Charger or any car for fleet is not always a good thing or impressive to me. I am not sure I want to drive a car that serves in so many other "fleet" purposes. Its not really a bad thing, but not necessarily attractive to me.

Although, I saw a Subaru Legacy cop car in black. Now that was a neat looking car.

It seems to me GM has enough fleet cars. With Businesses slumping, I am sure the orders to get more fleets are low. The have enough G8's as of now, let alone more sitting around in hopes getting used as a business car.

I think it would be wise to keep the G8, but re-badge the car a bit. Seek options to get the car in a more economical package that will appeal more to all, while offering performance trim line like most competitors do with their cars. People want fun, but economical too. There has to be a happy medium. You cannot make the cars too elite and too narrow for its buyers. OR have too many cars that are too narrow minded. OR, have too many duplicate cars out, that your spread thin. But, with the Camaro out too, GM cannot keep all the toys! Really, they must pick and choose.
    Its too late for playing around now. Keep the G8! But, revamp it a bit for more people to buy. Keep the performance line though!!
    Well, that $1,000 voucher would not help me at all. As I will not be in the market for a GM car ever. Sorry GM. But, someone else can have it. ;)
  • marine1988marine1988 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I am new so bear with me. I am currently deployed to Iraq right now, I have a GM card so i believe i get discounted from that, I am active in the Military, so I believe there is a discount for that, the rebate, do you get that for any G8 that is out there? I come home in July. The only car that seems to catch my eye is the G8 GT. I am 26 and I love my V8 Cylinders. So will it be wise to spend 30,000 dollars on the G8 GT? I mean, I saw the G8 problems, and that shaking problem is getting me a little, worried. do alot of you have that problem? I mean I have a 2001 Grand Prix GT trade in value of 4,250, and I am planning on putting a 8 thousand down payment on it. I will still have about 10 grand in the bank from the deployment...I just don't know what to do, haha.
    please help?
    I'm very happy with my G8 GT and would buy it again even without a warranty. If you want to buy a new roomy sporty RWD V8 sedan for around $30k, you probably should act soon. If GM stops importing them, the closest competitor is the BMW 5 series for twice as much money. I also have a Chrysler 300C Hemi that is entertaining and a nice cruiser on the interstates, but it is no substitute for a G8.
    Keep your money in the bank, do not put money down on the car, if you do, keep it minimal. The value of the car new is not the true market value now, I would buy used instead. If you buy new, there better be enough incentives to lower it to its real value. I see it all the time too, people in the military buy a new car, but they later need to sell it. Keeping the least money involved in it will be best. Do not spend all your money in the bank on a car. I would go ahead and get one, if that is what you really want, but just be practical about it too, make sure you get all rebates coming to you.

Keep your money.
    Please give details about the pros and cons of your 300C vs your G8/GT !
    Hello marine,
    I currently own a 09 G8 GT & owned an 08 G8 too. I looked back a few posts and I can not easily find what you mean by:

saw the G8 problems, and that shaking problem is getting me a little, worried. do alot of you have that problem?

Maybe I can help if you explain
    Have you had ANY problems out of the TWO that you have owned ?
  • marine1988marine1988 Member Posts: 2
    In not these messages but in one of the other forums, someone said that they get a shaking problem around 1,000 miles of driving, and that GM said there was nothing they could do.
    it was in the G8 Problems Forum
This discussion has been closed.