Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• dhill3dhill3 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if GMC will be offering chrome wheels on the Denali anytime soon? (perhaps late in the 2001 model year, or as an option for 2002?) I believe chrome wheels were actually standard on the 2000 model. It was disappointing to see that they were not available on such an exclusive, high-end vehicle.
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    Andy,

Is it possible to see some photos?

I just received my "Poron Reversing Aid" last Friday after ordering it Wednesday afternoon. Did you specify "Edmunds $50 discount" in the comments section when ordering? Just to let everyone else know, you get it for $157 out the door if you order on-line and specify you heard about it here at Edmunds.

My Denali XL will not arrive until Feb 7th, but I was looking at the brochure and saw that space between the trim with the "gap" for the wire. I thought that would make a great spot for mounting. What method did you use to mount it there? Also, you said you were going to mount a 4th sensor? How does it interface with the control module.

This device really looks well made and thought out...

Dave
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    I do not have a digital camera. So, I must first take the pictures, get them developed and then scan them in. I will be happy to do this, but it will take a little while.

They gave me an adapter along with the 4th sensor to split the middle sensor into 2 sensors. I plan to mount the 4th sensor between the grill and the front bumper. It should be almost hidden. Unfortunately, I will have to make a custom bracket to di this since their brackets are too tall.

I ordered before the $50 doscount was available. But he said he would give me $100 of of an additional unit. So, I may get one for my car as well.
    Andy,

I would really appreciate the photos!

I envision a phone line splitter? Is this splitter any more than just a low tech wire splitter, or is there some type of logic unit involved? How much do they charge for the extra sensor and splitter?

Sorry for all the questions :P

Dave
    I think that is is like a phone splitter, but I am not sure (I can't see inside the small adapter). I believe the charge was about $42 (that was for the extra sensor, the splitter was no charge).
    I talked to John at Poron, and he explained that the center receptacle of the processor unit has 6 wires rather than 4 like the other 2. This plug is the "ONLY" one that can be split. This is due to the amount of signal power sent to the sensor. Each outboard plug has a power, ground, transmit, and receive wire. Whereas, the center plug has an extra transmit and receive wire for the 4th sensor.

As designed, you would seriously degrade the performance of the unit if you tried to add more sensors to the 2 outboard plugs.

He further explained how you would not need more than one sensor in the front since you are aware of what you are pulling up towards. This is in contrast to something in the rear that may be out of sight.

It would really like to hear if this front sensor is worth the install and wire fishing. I was going to buy a "Park Zone" for my wife when she is pulling into the garage, but it would be great to have one mounted to the Denali in the form of the Poron sensor...

Dave
  • layne65layne65 Member Posts: 12
    "Park Zone" ? Have been looking at sensors- what is Park Zone?
    I use a tennis ball hanging from the garage ceiling for a park zone. It is accurate, reliable, and inexpensive.
    Yes, I have the "Ball System" currently! We keep a Yakima Bike rack on our vehicle (hitch mount) almost the entire summer, and I am tired of remounting the dang ball twice a year. This device will let you park at whatever distance, and then calibrate it. It can be changed with the push of a button. Also, my kids (5 and 2) and their friends have pulled my screw out of the ceiling too many times!

Here is a link to the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.park-zone.com/parkzone.htm

Click on "Store Locations" and then "JC Penny" to find the platinum model for only $14.99 on sale right now! This same model costs $69.95 at AutoAccessory.com (ouch - Go figure)

They also sell it at K-Mart, so I think I will stop by on my way home and check it out...

Dave

PS. I am considering using a front sensor with the Poron reversing aid I just bought instead of this Park-Zone. That is how the subject popped up.
    $49.99....end of story....on to JC Penny....Dave
    Today is the last day to order them for $14.99 at JC-Penny's online store! It cost $6.50 to ship one, and only $12 to ship 6 units (got together with some friends).

Dave
  • mwhitwormwhitwor Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to let eveyone know (and thanks to Terry (I can't find your e-mail address!!!) that I got my Denali last Tuesday (then I left town for 6 days...) I'd ordered it around Dec 5 from a dealership in Farmville, Va. and I received it in Dallas on the 16th of January - outstanding, considering the plant shuts down during a week in that time period and had just come off another week-long shutdown. Best part is, I was only out invoice +$350 (plus another $200 I paid the Dallas dealership) with no other fees and the Virginia dealer was a pleasure to deal with in every way. They are Davis Pontiac-GMC (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, just giving my thanks), and I dealt with Wayne Davis. If this helps someone, I'll be pleased. I'd appreciate it if you do contact them if you'd just tell them that Mark in Dallas had written kindly of them - I am very thankful for their help, as the best I could do in Dallas was about invoice +$2000!!

Mark
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    Did you purcjhase a Denali or Denali XL? Where in VA is the dealership?
    Sam
    Did you purchase a Denali or Denali XL? Where in VA is the dealership?
    Sam
  • ssyssy Member Posts: 1
    Is the sunroof worth giving up the automatic back controls? Pewter interior with black exterior?
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    Very impressive thus far. Rides much better that I anticipated, the 6.0 is powerful & sounds wonderful. Pewter/Pewter, 4 Bucket seats & Sunroof, no regrets.
  • bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    Took Delivery Of a 2001 Denali on Tuesday 1/30/01. Truck is very nice!! Just a few minor faults so far. There is no storage in this truck!! I empted out my 1998 Durango and could not find a place for jumper cables, tow strap or even the hitch receiver.

I would like to "clean up" the look of the truck by removing the roof rack. I dont want to go thru filling and repainting the roof. Might anyone know of any after-market companies that sell replacement screws/plugs to insert in the holes?
  • kcoolkcool Member Posts: 6
    Picked up my 2001 Yukon XL Denali on Monday. Got it with Garnet Red and Pewter interior. It looks great and rides and handles even better. Was a little concerned about the red color but it works well. Previous post is right though about not having much storage room. It is scarce. Got it with second row buckets which even cuts down more on the storage. In my 99 Suburban You could stash a lot of stuff under the middle row seats.

Will give it a few months and then have a better evaluation but I am pleased with it so far.
  • escaladepimpescaladepimp Member Posts: 12
    Anyone have any insights on the Denali's seats?
    I like all of the power adjustments, maybe someone can tell me more about them.
    I'm guessing that it's a 6 way seat cushion controller, a 2 way backrest recliner, a 2 way lumbar inflater, and our favorite the 2 way side bolster inflater. Anyone know a bit more on how they work and how great they are?
    And about the wood trim; real or fake?
    And how is the third row seat room like; is there legroom, and can your legs go all the way down to the floor, or is it raised up with your knees in your face?
    Overall, is the Denali worth the $$?
  • kcoolkcool Member Posts: 6
    Don't know if your referring to a Yukon or Yukon XL.

The Seats are ok though but not great. Have the same ones in my 2000 Silverado LT. They are comfortable but could be better and have a larger/longer seat area. Especially in he Denali.

As for the rear seats, it is a little tight but you can place your feet on the floor and not have your knees in your chin. My advice is to go look at a Tahoe/Suburban or Yukon/Yukon XL. They are laid out the same with the same seats and controls.

As for whether the Denali is worth the dollars or not, it depends on what you are comparing it to. At any rate, the value is something you have to determine. If you are comparing it to a regular Yukon LX, I would say definitely yes. The drive train and the AWD in the Denali are great and the Yukon XL is under powered. The AWD drive makes a big difference in handling and the power from the 6 liter makes it fun to drive. Also, It rides better than many mid and full sized cars.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Since this topic seemed to be focused mainly on the Yukon/Yukon XL Denali now, I've renamed the title to reflect this. Besides, there is already a seperate Cadillac Escalde topic.

WRT the Poron system, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it get it's power from the reverse lamp wire? As such, it does mean that unless one rewires it seperately, it won't work for forward operation. I would think that it would be confused too, since the rear sensors could have something entirely different than the front sensor. I have a reverse warning system on my own vehicle and it's a 4 sensor unit. Installation wasn't easy, but it looks stock. If any of you are interested, pictures in both the first album and the "Parkpilot" album at http://go.to/m-class

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
    I setup the reversing system with 2 powering methods. Standard operation is reverse only. I use a relay which disconnects the front sensor. In forward operation (flip a switch) all 4 sensors are active and the alarm will react to the closest sensor. The idea is in a tight area going forward, the front sensor should be the closest and, therefore, trigger the alarm. It is possible to disable the 3 rear sensors going forward, but I didn't think it was worth the trouble.
    Where can you get more information of this system. The sensors look impressive.
  • escaladepimpescaladepimp Member Posts: 12
    Is the 3rd row seat in the Denali leather or vinyl?
    The 3rd row looks nice and two-toned and all, but is it the real deal?
    Thanks!
  • jasonairejasonaire Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a dealer who will accept GM Supplier Discount Papers or deal near invoice on a Yukon XL Denali, preferably in Northern California. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    escaladepimp: I have a 2001 Denali XL and for the life of me I can't tell if the third row seat is leather or not, both to the touch and the nose. It is however "very" slightly different from the second row leather but not really to the eye only the touch. I also checked my manual and literature and couldn't find anything. What made you ask the question? Did you read somewhere that its vinyl?

If it is vinyl, I won't be disappointed since I had previous Subs with removal third row seat and would prefer a more durable material since it might be left outside in the sun, rained on, spilled on or scratched somehow while out of the vehicle. I particularly won't mind given that I can't even tell what it is up close and far away.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Sounds great. Thanks for sharing the info with us.

I got the Bosch Parkpilot system via a friend who was visting Germany. FYI, Bosch is the OEM supplier for the Parktronic obstacle warning systems on MB vehicles; hence my sensors are identical to those you'll find on MB cars equipped with the factory installed Parktronic option. Unlike the Poron system, the Parkpilot system is custom made for each individual vehicle. Drilling templates are provided for precise positioning of the sensors into the rear bumper. So far it has been working great, although installation was a real PITA. Hope you're enjoying your new gadget!

If you're interested in reading more about the Parkpilot system, go to:
    http://www.bosch.de/aad/en/produkte/parkpilot/index.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    My 2000 Tahoe has leather on the seat but not on the sides of 3rd row, just like all of the other seats.
  • expedition2expedition2 Member Posts: 34
    Check again, you will find that it is not leather. All 3rd seats in these SUV's are vinyl.
    The only place you will find the info is in a showroom brochure, listed in tiny print on the pages that show the seating configurations.
    It says: 3rd-row bench seat surfaces are vinyl.
    You can tell if you feel it! Now the question is WHY do they do this??????
  • vendingvending Member Posts: 14
    What can I expect city/highway mpg? What kind of horsepower difference can I expect compared to the 6.0? This is on the 3/4 ton.
    You must be (are!) referring to the regular Yukons... The Denali DOES have a leather 3rd seat, as well as more leather in other places on the seats, center console, steering wheel, etc. Although like all the other seats, the sides of the 3rd seat (headrests too) are constructed with vinyl.

As you mentioned, it is very easy to tell the difference between the two materials when they are side by side.

Dave
    After looking at the brochure I realized the (*)
    was only shown for the Yukon 3rd seat. It really didn't say anything about the XL's 3rd seat. I assume that because it is standard in the XL it is leather. I'm not sure about the Denali though, if the 3rd seat is an option it might not be leather. They are both removable so I can't understand why they wouldn't both be leather or both be vinyl. Any thoughts? The Durango, expedition, and others are the same way. Are they trying to save a buck?
  • dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    OK guys. I've been lurking here for months and have absorbed some great info. But now is the time to bite the bullet. I saw the Caddy Escalade at the Pittsburgh Car Show and I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw. I want to order the Yukon Denali in Garnet Red with a hole in the roof but my local dealer said the "roofs" were on constraint. He could not tell me if or when the constraint would be lifted. Can anyone confirms this? My dealer sales rep was a real jerk. He didn't know didly squat about the features of the Denali.
    While I'm at it, I'll state some things I liked about the Denali and things I didn't like... WARNING, I tend to nick-pick!
    1). I did NOT like the center seats that flip forward. You then have to step on the backs of the 2nd row seats to get to the 3rd row seats. Then when you flip 2nd row back, you have to flip them forward again because the seats eat up the seat belts unless your have a third arm that can hold them up out of the way.
    2). The 3rd row seats are not for adults. Too close to the floor and too little leg room.
    3). No ultra sound park assist when backing up. I have marks in my mini-van bumper from backing up into my trailer I occasionally tow. This would help.
    4) No satellite navigation. On-Star won't keep you from getting lost but only un-lost. I've used a sat/nav on a laptop computer from PA--FL and it was fabulous. Helped us find a Red Lobster in CLT.
    5). Front seat belts are behind you and it is more difficult to turn and grab these belts than it is in my T&C mini-van. Also, they have a tendancy to twist making it a requirement to use two hands to buckle up. I just liked them better when they were on the door pillar frame. One handed quick connect in the van.
    6). A hole in the roof causes the loss of rear auto air controls. Dumb.
    7). Finally, the engineer that designed the steering wheel controls for the audio system MUST HAVE BEEN ON MIND ALTERING DRUGS!!!!!! This is my biggest complaint. They are NOT convenient at all for using while driving. This is such an obvious flaw they should have fired somone over this!!!
    Now the things I like, I liked them alot!!
    1). The steering on this beast is unbelievable! While manuevering into a parking spot, this can be done with your little pinky. No effort what-so-ever. I think they call it speed sensitive power assisted steering. It's great!!
    2). THE ENGINE GROWLS AND IT HOWLS!! This will get up and go like nobody's business!! Wow, I am impressed with the pick-up. A big plus for those of us that tow.
    3). Handling on the highway is more responsive than I thought possible. It handles like a damn sports car!! Real quick for dodging pot holes.
    4). It has Mitchelem tires. After the Firestone fiasco, this is the only tire I want. This was the main reason I stopped considering the Ford EB Expedition.
    5). 6 disc in dash CD is great. Not like the ancient dinosaurs in the Linc Nav and EB Expy.
    That's it for now. Sorry if I got carried away.
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    Many of your concerns about seat access, & seat room could be taken care of by opting for the Denali XL. And if you go for the 4 bucket seat option, rear seat access is marvelous. The Audio controls on the steering wheel are very intuitive, & accessible as well. Finally, I received my Denali XL with sunroof when first promised, with no delays. I heard about many constraints, but mine arrived as promised.
    I own a 2001 Denali XL so I would suggest you consider an XL to address nitpicks 1 & 2 as the seat operation is different in the XL. I agree with nitpicks #3-5.

#6 - have an ASC sunroof installed aftermarket through your dealer (the same sunroof the factory uses) and you'll enjoy your hole in the roof, rear climate control, one touch closing and auto close feature when your remove the key from the ignition (both features not available from factory) combined with a lifetime warranty.

#7 I have mixed feelings about. Once you get used to it the steering wheel controls work OK with your index fingers instead of your thumbs.

I agree with your 1-5 in the "likes department" and would add awesome traction with the awd, great Bose sound system, heated rear seats, trip computer, 17" wheels and the headlights and grill to the list of likes.
    That's good to know about the ASC sunroof. My dealer suggested NOT to go aftermarket regardless of make/model. Just his preference, about the wires and the relocation required. Are you saying that your GMC dealer installed this sunroof? Does that fall under the vehicle warranty, the sunroof warranty, or both? I like the extra's you mentioned about auto close with key off. Can I ask the price you were charged for the roof and install? Are you anywhere near Pittsburgh? I'd rather trust a dealer than an aftermarket shop. But I'd rather trust a dealer that comes with a reference, such as yours.
    The XL seems just too big (long) for my tastes. There are just the 3 of us and my girl is only 4 yrs old. We have quad bucket seats in the mini-van and like them but wanted to go for the bench this time. My girl wants to lay down on the seat to sleep, she can do this with the seat belt still around her (granted, not the safest).
    The 17" wheels are OK but they should be hi-polished at least and preferrably chromed magnesium (or whatever they're made of).
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I noticed a lot of dealers will sell aftermarket items, rims, tinting, tires, moonroofs, superchargers and also provide the warranty for the items even if they subcontract the installation. I guess another way to increase profits even though any warranty work would also be done by the subcontractor.
    I am in Pittsburgh and while mine is a factory sunroof on this vehicle, I have had the last 2 suv's done aftermarket. My father had both his Cadillac's done as well. The place is called Executive Motors, I think in Gibsonia. I'm not sure exactly where because the dealer has taken it before delivery for installation. Price ranges from $1,000 (durango, expedition) to $1400 for the caddy's. They offer a 3 year warranty.
    I miss that roof not closing when the ignition is turned off!!
    The dealer sent the install of the ASC sunroof to an aftermarket installer that handles high end stereo and sunroof installs. You can check out the product and the nearest installer at their website (ascglobal.com). The price from the dealer and the installer was the same, $1100. Dealer handled the transaction and when I saw the truck for the first time the sunroof was already in. The sunroof warranty is a separate lifetime warranty from the installer and ASC.

My dealer was Flemington GMC Truck in Flemington, NJ.

Sounds like the DXL with the bucket seat option (not available in the Denali) might still be worth considering. When you look at the Denali or Yukon froma distance I happen to prefer the proportions of the XL. The rear overhang on the shorter Denali/Yukon just doesn't seem to look as proportional for an SUV as the XL version. Just my view.
    OK Heatwave3. You may have something. Tomorrow I treck to yet another dealer to check the XL version. I'll keep an open mind (hmmm, that extra 18 inches would come in handy on that vacation drive to Disney World). Also, I love the bigger 32.5 gal gas tank.
    I purchased my DXL from a dealer in MD using the GSM discount. Let me know if you would like additional information.....
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    The sunroofs have come off of constraint! I am pretty good friends with the dealer and he was having problems getting ones with "roofs", and it held mine up for months, 5 to be exact, but part of that was also because I ordered a 3/4 ton Yukon XL. If you want one with a hole in it order it now while they have them. I am not sure is heatwave's sunroof goes into the roof or not, but the factory does. One other thing to figure in between aftermarket and factory sunroof is that on a factory sunroof they double side galvanize the roof steel, w/o sunroof they don't. On a pricepoint issue the sunroof from the factory is $950, $633 with GM empolyee discount, on my Yukon XL, where as other aftermarket places may charge more. Another thing I can't figure out beyond the fact that GM figures these people must have more money is the price on a factory sunroof in an Escalade is $1500!!!! It is the exact one, same part #, that is in the Yukon/XL/Denali, so go figure! As far as rear heat/air controls they are still there, the back seat just doesn't have control of them, they had to drop them because the glass for the roof goes in between the headliner, and roof.
    jgmilberg: The ASC sunroof is the exact same one the factory installs and has the exact same interior and exterior appearance. You can view the features and specs at ascglobal.com. I have no affiliation although I did install this sunroof in a 2001 Denali XL.

You're correct on the galvanization from the factory versus aftermarket installation, although you'll get a lifetime warranty from the installer and sunroof manufacturer which is more than you'll get from GM.

There is a price difference as you stated - Factory install $950 list, less for GMS. Aftermarket will run about $1100.

Several other points to consider: you'll lose rear climate control in addition to the loss of the rear passenger controller. The controller for the rear AC/heat with a factory sunroof will have manual fan and temp. controls above the rear view mirror.

The aftermarket sunroof installation installs the original rear climate controller in almost the original location. The sunroof slides above the controller inside the headliner. (Don't ask me why the factory can't do the exact same installation.) Also the ASC aftermarket sunroof controls have a one-touch close feature and a nice feature that closes the sunroof from any open position approx. 10 secs after the ignition is turned off. The factory sunroof has neither of these features.

Just a few additional points to consider in your decision.
    I will look it up and check it out. Where did they put the controls for the roof at? Are they in the factory position? Factory list is $950, with a GM employee disc. from a qualifying family member anybody can get it down to $633. I know not everyone has a family member in GM but this should help with bargaining tactics.

I know that ASC is the world leader in sunroof technology, and would not hesitate to use them as an aftermarket source. I wonder if they could install those extras onto a factory unit to make it do the same thing? Do you know? Those are definitely good options to have. It might be able to happen with just a control module swap. With my luck I would leave the damn thing open and it would rain, Michigan is good for that kind of thing ya know!! Does it come with a cover/door to slide over the "hole"?

Warranty does not really bother me that much, the piece of mind I have knowing that the roof is galvanized on both sides and not going to rust around the edges where the hole is cut, and/or from the inside out. Another thing about the factory roof is that the hole is die cut and rounded over, making the hole size uniform and less likely to leak down the road.

I have spoken with an engineer from ASC at the plant(Cadillac) I work at about the sunroofs and they say with regular maintainance it should last forever. They did however recommend that once a year check your drain tubes to make sure they do not get clogged. He said that is the #1 reason for leaks, factory or aftermarket. If they get clogged take it in and have them "blown" or "snaked" out, he said any ASC dealer can do it and if it is factory the cost to the customer is minimal, around $20, unless it is still under the bumper to bumper warranty.
    I picked up my XL Denali 10 days ago, and the 3rd seat is leather(75%) + Vinyl(25%). I have not looked closely at the regular Denali...?

Dave
    I installed the Poron sensor last Saturday and it works great. I can back up 12" from my garage with out even looking (it took a few tries before I had the confidence not to look!). If anyone is interested, I took pictures of all the mounting locations and the interior sans the interior plastic in the rear (drivers side).

A side note, I examined the Bose sub woofer box and amplifier. The sub box is about 2'x1'x1'. I could not see the driver, so I removed the 15 or so screws and 4 clips to dismantle it. I was amazed to find out that the driver was only a 4"x6"! How does Bose get that kind of base out of this little sucker. I also took pics of this sub dismantled. The amp is about the size of a loaf of bread.

I haven't developed the film yet, but let me know if anyone wants to see them, and I will scan them in...

Dave
    jgmilberg: The rear climate controls are reinstalled in the same position they came in from the factory after the sunroof is installed. The sunroof that GM installs is the ASC sunroof that you can have installed aftermarket. I don't know if the controller used by ASC can be used with the factory sunroof but it is worth investigating. The cover/slide is the same as the factory slide and I believe simply uses the fabric from the headliner that was cut out for the sunroof for a perfect color match since its the original fabric.

I can't provide any insight into how the hole is cut or how the edges are prepared. I only saw it after all work was complete. Thanks for the tip on checking the drain for the sunroof.
    I am interested in the pix of the sub box dismantled. If it wouldn't be to much trouble to post/email them to me when they get developed, it would be great.
    Thanks!
    I was interested in the position of the operating switch for the roof, is it in the factory spot by the homelink system?

There are 4 drains on the roof, one in each corner. If you go to your local auto parts store and get a small funnel that will fit in the hole. Use that to test and make sure everything is clear by putting water down through the funnel. The engineer recommended about 20 ounces of water per hole, but I am not sure if that would be enough to fill the tube up if it is clogged.

To everyone thinking of buying a sunroof from the aftermarket. This is worth mentioning, ASC does not just hand out ASC contracts to shops unless they are properly trained and pass every aspect of the install, repair or maintainance. Also, with every new product they must complete the training for that product or the licence to sell ASC products will be pulled and ASC will no longer sell to that shop. So if you get an ASC sunroof rest assured it will be done correctly.
    Yes, I really want to see your pictures, drb2002. Please post them or email them to me at AndrewLobsenz@TX.SLR.COM.

Thanks.