Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
edited August 2014 in Pontiac
How many of you guys/gals would like to see this new 6.0 LS-2 V-8 RWD (Commodore SS-V) Grand Prix sedan hit out shores ?????

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I clicked on the "Future Vehicles" icon and curious to why it didn't go under that forum title ?

Please move this one to the future vehicles forum, since obviously I don't know how to start up a topic in those forums yet ?

Rocky
    Will a RWD Sedan outsell the FWDer ?

Rocky
    I guess Edmunds is lacking Grand Prix fans. I figured this topic would be at least luke warm. :sick:

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The current Grand Prix is a boring FWD crusier that's taken even more abuse from the cost-cutters than the Impala or Lacrosse. No one can be bothered to give a poop about it, and the Holden rumors are nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.
    Well bumpy wouldn't you agree it's a car that GM, desperately needs ? I think GM could sell 75-100,000 units if this Holden Grand Prix was to come out. I think it would need to feature the tactile feel of the others. Gadgetology I think could make the difference. GM, could start with a mega-watt surround sound system, and work all the way up to featuring swivel headlamps. :shades:

Rocky
    GM needs *everything* Holden makes. Problem is that once you build it and ship it over from Australia with the big engine and all the fun gadgets on it, you have to sticker it well above $30k and try to sell it to people who expect to get big decontented cars for $20k OTD. GM would do very well to move 40k a year of an unmolested Commodore SS here.
    I like the Pontiac front end better though. The Aussie, needs more technology if it wants to play in the U.S. market in the 3 series segment.

Rocky
    I haven't heard any more news since Motor Trend, un-masked the next Grand Prix aka Holden Commodore. Anyone heard any rumors on this vehicles from other sources ???

Rocky
    Santa Lutz has brought you an early Christmas present. :shades: Start saving your pennies now.
    bumpy,

I appreciate it pal. That was some very good research and needs to be posted also in the GM forum.

Rocky

P.S. I wonder how many penny's I'd need to save ? :surprise:
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    The only other info I've run across is that the current GP runs until 2008/2009 and is then replaced by a RWD model. This fits with the Holden article in MT and GM Lutz's comments that Pontiac will become a RWD performance division. I like the Holden and have buzzed Pontiac several times that I wanted the drivetrain, optional 6 speed manual & seats from the GTO in my GP!(since the wife will never go for a coupe)
    ocmike,

So you saw the Motor Trend article pal on page 18-19 ?
    It was one of the best ones I've ever read from the import biased MT.

To see what both ocmike and I are talkin' about

Holden Special Vehicles,
    the Holden hot shopjointly owned by GM's Australian subsidiary and former F1 team ownerTom Walkinshaw, has launched its versions of the all-new, Zeta-based Holden Commodore. More powerful and more aggressively styled, the new HSV cars show how GM could put togeather performance versions of rear-drive Impala or Pontiac Grand Prix of the same architecture.

Base engine across the HSV range is a 412-horse version of the 6.0 LS2 V-8 used in the Holden-based Pontiac GTO.
    Transmission choice is a Tremec T56 six-speed manual or GM's slick new 6L80 six-speed auto. Holden sources claim test mules have consistently run 0 to 60 in under 5.0 seconds. standing quarter-mile times should be in the12-second bracket.

Brakes are monster 14.3-inch discs up front and 13.7 inch units at the rear, with AP Racing calipers.The top of the range GTS shown here also gets 20-inch alloy wheels and adjustable Magnetic Ride Control shocks by Delphi, as used in the C6 Corvette and the Cadillac STS-V.

Apart from the usual wheels and wings, the visual changes over the standard Holden Commodore include inique front fenders with a prominent side vent and new taillamps. Inside are sport seats and extra guages-voltage, oil temperature, and oil pressure.

Now, here's the best bit: HSV sources haven't ruled out building a limited-run model powered by the 7.0 liter, 502 horse LS7 from the Corvette Z-06. Yeah, it fits, and a car could appear at the Sydney motor show in October of next year. A 502-horsepower four-door sedan? Now that's what we call a musclecar.

Rocky
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    yes - I was on-line at MT (which prompted me to notice my Oct. copy of MT never arrived in the mail.) so I ran out an bought a copy at the local store. Its good to see GM taking advantage of some of their international talents.
    I wasn't familiar with Holden until the "new" GTO was sent over.
    I think GM is finally coming around to the "global" tactic many international companies have been operating under for decades... adjust the best from divisions wherever they are at and tweak them to meet the various markets. Holden has several vehicles that appeal to me and I hope we will see more of them here. (I've lobbied GM to bring over versions of the Holden Ute/Crossman, being an El Camino fan - owned a 75 & 82; was heartbroken when they discontinued them in 1987.)
    Yeah, I just hope they build em' here to keep some jobs here. Holden does have a nice line-up of sporty cars.

Rocky
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "My Grand Prix is coming !!!!"

:confuse:

I thought you were hankerin' for a GMC Sierra Denali?

Or was it an Escalade EXT?

Or was it a Volvo S80?

Jeez rocky - you're all over the place..... :P
    I like them all rorr, that's the biggest problem. :surprise: :D

I can't afford the EXT, so that's off my "short-list"

The S80, and Sierra Denali are both on it.

The 2010 Impala, could make that list also.

Rocky
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The 2010 Impala, could make that list also."

I see you're thinking long-term..... :surprise:

Where's the '08 Camaro on your list?
    I like the Camaro, but since I have 2 kids a sedan would be easier on me. I also want something a little more "Gadget filled" than a Camaro, rorr.

#1 on my list is the Buick Velite Convertible :cry:

Rocky
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I don't find the Grand Prix boring at all. There's no comparison between the Grand Prix or Impala!!! The Impala looks like "nothing." The design is terrible and it looks like any ordinary sedan. At least the GXP has a lot of style and looks sporty, even though it's a sedan!!! What does the Impala have??? It looks exactly like an ordinary family car. At least the Grand Prix looks sporty even though, unfortunately, it's a four-door. I prefer the coupe and wish they would make it again. Chats1
    Just wait until the RWD 500+ hp Grand Prix debutes. Will they be able to say that's boring ? :P

Rocky :shades:
    Just curious if any of you had some facts or rumors to share with us ?

Rocky
  • creamcitiancreamcitian Member Posts: 23
    Some confusing info here: http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/11786/2006-holden-commodore-ve.html

Nothing mentioned at all concerning the next Pontiac Grand Prix, which is a little disconcerting - I'm putting off buying a car until the Holden comes over here. Mostly it mentions possible Chevy cars coming from it. It also mentions possible price points.
    Read Motor Trends November? issue. It says the Holden Grand Prix could be here as early as 08' ;) They say a limited edition has been rumored with a 502 hp. 7.0 LS-7 V-8

Rocky
    I keep seeing different numbers for horsepower for the "base" Grand Prix - I've seen 360, 362 and 400. I don't suppose anyone has any definitive answer? I hate all this speculation which just means I should stop looking for news of it online, but d-mnit I just can't wait! I hope hope hope it will be at least 400 horses like the current gto, otherwise, why bother?
    I think the base engine should be the ectotec turbo 4-cylinder from the Solitice/Sky. Price her in the low-mid $20's. The 400 hp. should be the GTP model for mid $30's and the GXP limited edition should be a LS-7 engine from the vette in the low-mid $40's. ;)

Rocky
    As long as I can get the 400 horses for the price of the current gto or less, nobody will get hurt!
    Well I suspect it will be a few more grand, but then again maybe not. ;) Regardless it will be a fair deal, and one will be able to own a high performance car that won't break the bank. :) I also expect the new Grand Prix, to be more upscale than the GTO. I hope a powerful DVD-Audio unit along with heated and AC seats make production. A good voice recognition system w/ Navi would be cool as well. I'd set the packages up like Acura. A base, and a technology package. It works well with Acura, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work well with GM's brands IMHO.

Rocky

P.S. thanx for the post and activity in this forum.
    shoot, no worries about the activity, i am completely looking forward to this car and am interested in any info i can get on it.
    Well, we think the same in that regard. ;)

Rocky
    From GoAuto:

Company chairman and managing director Denny Mooney said that he was anticipating approval for the US program, "You will see an announcement in the next three to four months. Assuming it happens, (shipments) would start a little beyond that. I am not making an official announcement (in this discussion), but it looks very favourable"

and

"I can tell you unequivocally that we designed the VE with the US in mind."
    WOW, great post pal. !!!

Thanx for the link.

Rocky :shades:
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    I really don't want the Pontiac designers bastardizing Holden's fantastic nose and rear end on this thing. I even like the Holden emblem in the grill and on the rear lid. They should just bring it over as is and not mess with a good thing.

All the necessary body parts, badges, and other garnish to convert a Pontiac GTO back to a Holden Monaro are available in the Australian aftermarket, so even if GM does mess up the Pontiac G8 you can buy the parts to set it right.
    you're right. i wish they wouldn't mess with it at all, however, i would rather have it here and have it messed up a little bit than not have it at all! i've been waiting for a car like this for a long time and as long as the horsepower/performance/price is good, i can live with the rest!
    Me too.....This car with a few technology's sprinkled down from Cadillac could be the best performance sedan we've seen from the big 3 in many moons. ;)

Rocky
    Anybody know if there's a chance that this thing will have AWD as an option?
    From World of Car Fans:

"This time, however, there will be much more extensive differences between the Holden and the Pontiac. The Pontiac G8 will have its own sheetmetal and its own interior, setting it apart from the Commodore.

The G8 is expected to be produced in Australia, as was the Pontiac GTO. It will offer a choice of V6 or V8 engines. Introduction of the G8 is not expected until at least 2008. "
    Motor Trend says it appears to be a "GO" also. ;)

Rocky
  • meekinmeekin Member Posts: 1
    I beleive the basic archeteture this car was is built on was designed with AWD in mind. for those who were interested, the commodore is available with to 3.6L global V6 engines (180kw,330nm and 195kw,340nm) and a 6.0L L98 V8 (270kw,530nm)
    This car should offer incredible performance/equipment for money.
    I agree.... ;)

Rocky
    From Drive Magazine:

We are seriously planning to import a lot of Commodore SS sedans as Pontiac G8s," Mr Lutz said, adding that Holden could export up to 50,000 Commodores a year if the model was priced correctly.
  • bob1967bob1967 Member Posts: 1
    It is a shame that G.M. is going to ruin this beautiful car by Pontiacing it, and they wonder why they keep losing market share. If they can't bring it over as is they needn't bother. You would think that they would have learned some sort of lesson when they ruined the Manaro by converting it to a GTO. I guess we will soon find out.
    From Auto Week:

"The Holden Commodore SS will be called the Pontiac G8 and priced around $25,000, according to the Herald Sun in Melbourne, Australia. "

Althought the next paragraph has Lutz stating, " The volume range is 30,000 to 50,000. It depends on how we price it.."
    From Detroit Free Press:

"Production of a second-generation model with unique Pontiac styling should begin at GM's plant in Oshawa, Ontario, in 2009."

Unique Pontiac styling? Uh oh.
    WOW, so it's going to really be called a G8.... :surprise: This should be exciting. ;) Motor Trend claims a limited edition version with 502 horsepower is in the works so we shall see. ;)

Keep this forum going y'all :shades:

Rocky
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    first off, the Commodore isnt all that beautiful. Secondly, recent Pontiacs havent been gaudy or ugly by any stretch. Their most recent cars are the G6 and Solstice and I think both are attractive so I don't know what you are so afraid of. I suspect they will give the car a Pontiac front end and possibly modify the rear end. I dont see a problem with that at all.

Autoweek is reporting a V6 and 362hp V8 will be available with 6 speed auto and manual. Sounds good to me, especially if the price range is $25k to $33k or so.
    Agree sounds like a great deal and Motor Trend says a limited edition 502 hp GXP/GTX is in the works....*grin* :shades:

It needs some of that 08' CTS Gadgetology at least as options even if the price goes up $3-4K it would be worth it. ;)

Rocky
    I know you're into that gadget goodness, and I do hope they offer the gadgets as options, but I don't need any of that stuff. Just give me a fast, reliable, four-door sleeper.

I have heard rumors of a version for Chevy coming over here. Perhaps the Chevy can be my simplified version and you can get the gadgeted-up Pontiac.
    Well what you are looking for is the 09' Impala and it should be more simple. Big RWD Sedan w/ big engine. I think the G8 should take on Acura's TL/Infiniti G35 :)

I think the CTS should aim for BMW/Audi/Lexus ;)

Rocky
This discussion has been closed.