Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• creamcitiancreamcitian Member Posts: 23
    2009? Cr-p, I don't want to wait until 2009. Sorry, but now I'm really hoping for my G8!
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Check out Holden's page if you want to see what the G8 is likely to offer. The car has a lot of features but they will make the car kind of expensive if they bring all that to the US. I would hope this car maxes out at $33k in the states. For people with an open mind who care more about value than brand name it promises to be a great option in this class. It should give the G35, TL and 300C a run for their money.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Totally agree with your assessment :)

Rocky
    I for one cant wait until the Chicago show to see this vehicle and the Astraa.

When is the chicago show pal ????

Rocky

P.S. Can't wait either !!! ;)
    Looks like there are hood scoops: ABC News video (flash).
    creamcitian,

Dude you are awesome for finding that video. I want to thank-you pal for your research. ;) The G8 grill looks awesome. :D

Rocky
    I REALLY like that front end and those rims. I hope those are production rims but they look like they might be 19s which would indicate they arent for production. I like the front of this car more than the Holden to be honest.

chicago auto show media days are next Wednesday and Thursday.

So next Wednesday or Thursday we will see it ?

Rocky
    The unveil should be tomorrow although some fuzzy pics are already on the internet from a webcam at Chicago. It looks good to me. I really want to see the interior though.
    Info and pics have been released. This car is HOT. If they price it right it will sell easily. The interior is far better than the Charger or 300 and it's going to give everything from the Maxima to the TL to the G35 a run for their money.
    After seeing the initial pics...I am not so sure about that front end and hood scoops. Sure, if the hood scoops were functional then I guess at least there'd be a reason for them but as things stand right now, what with the fake fascia work and the 362 horses instead of 400, I'm not so sure about this thing anymore. Pricing has all of the sudden become a much bigger issue for me, if it isn't somewhere in the mid-20's starting, I just don't know.

Bummer.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    A GXP version of it that will have the 400hp LS2 engine. GXP is their answer to the "V" lineup by Cadilac, the Type S of Acura, the STi of Subaru, etc.

-mike
  • tyger1906tyger1906 Member Posts: 4
    I read today that they are ditching the Grand Prix name for G8......so you will have G5, G6 and G8. Thats right GM follow Ford and take a classic name like Grand Prix and the hundreds of thousands of them sold over the years and throw it away. Maybe I am old fashioned but the American car companies are trying to be like Audi (A4, A6, ect) instead of just being who they are. If GM revamped the Grand Prix (and kept the name) and positioned it to compete with the Charger the Japanese could not touch it. Instead it will take 2 years for people to figure out the G8 is the old Grand Prix and for GM to educate the consumers and that translates into more sales for the Accord and Camry and Sonata. GM: don't ditch the Grand Prix name. Ask Ford what happens when you ditch a recognizable nameplate for a new one that nobody has ever heard of or cares about....
    No offense but when I think Grand Prix, I think of really bad FWD 80s and 90s cars. Not a 4-door Grand Touring German/Japanese luxo car killer. The G5, G6, G8 monikers bring a little bit of class to the nameplate.

Grand Prix also conjures mullets and cheap beer!

-mike
    I agree......

The G8 will have the GT which is 362' hp.

A GXP with 400+ hp via 6.0 or 6.2 VVT V8

I've also read that a special limited edition model to have 502 hp. is in the works. That would be great because then Cadillac, would almost be forced to put the 600 hp. version of the supercharged LS-7 in the CTS-V :shades:

Rocky
    but darnit! if life isn't about mullets and cheap beer, then what is it aboout?!
    Well it's about having a stump for a family tree! haaaaaa.

-mike
    People are now complaing about a car having "only" 362hp? I cant believe this. This car has more power than the CTS, M45, G35, STS, RL, etc. I think 362hp is more than enough considering this car's price point. 0-60 should take no more than 5.5secs which is faster than the 300C. Plus it offers a manual tranny.

I like this car a lot and dont see much to complain about at all.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    They look a little cheesy to me and break up an otherwise clean design IMHO.

Otherwise, great job GM!!
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    I have seen conflicting information on release date. One source says Augsut this year and other sources say early 2008. Anybody any more info?
    official GM release says next year unfortunately.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Ditto. The small spoiler on the back is tasteful--I can deal with it. The hood scoops are just too much.

I hope they offer the big engine without the hood scoops.
  • froggersjcfroggersjc Member Posts: 51
    The edmunds snippet says the tan/black interior will not be offered. WHY? I actually like the look of that interior and I usually hate pontiac interiors. All black is boring. I also agree with some posters above...good riddance to the grand prix name. I have never liked those cars with the plastic cladding and playschool nobs on the interior.

I'll take the new CTS anyway!
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Holden will build the pilot cars in August, study those and make revisions, then build the production run in the next month or three, load those up on the boat and float 'em over here, unload them from the boat, prep them and send them out to the dealers and put them on sale once enough stock is on hand. Early 2008.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    It's here and boy it looks good. Coming in early 08.

http://www.pontiac.com/

CHICAGO – Confirming its commitment to style and performance, Pontiac introduced a show car version of an all-new, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan at the Chicago Auto Show. The 2008 Pontiac G8 will be available in dealerships early next year.
    “With the balance of rear-wheel drive and the availability of V-8 power, the G8 represents another step in Pontiac ’s commitment to its performance DNA,” said John Larson, Pontiac general manager. “Added to the Solstice and the recently announced additions of the G6 and Torrent to the GXP series, the G8 demonstrates that Pontiac has never been more serious about the business of performance – and we expect this vehicle to be very competitive in the segment, even against cars that cost far more.”
    The G8 is the first North American application of GM’s new global rear-wheel-drive architecture developed by Holden, GM’s Australian subsidiary.

G8 GT show car details

The G8 show car unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show is representative of the production GT model, including use of the 362-horsepower (270 kW) 6.0L V-8 engine and optional six-speed manual transmission. The show car also features some unique items not found on the production model, including:

* Twenty-inch “shadow chrome” wheels and performance tires
    * Ride height lowered approximately half-inch
    * High-performance brake rotors with painted brake calipers
    * Custom interior trim color, including a leather-wrapped dash
    * Exclusive exterior paint color: Phantom Grey
    * Concept of “modernized” Pontiac badge, to gauge public opinion.

Production model details

The 2008 Pontiac G8 lineup will offer two models: G8 and G8 GT. Each will come with a host of standard performance, convenience and safety features, including:

* Four-wheel independent suspension
    * Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control
    * Electronic stability control
    * 18-inch aluminum wheels (19-inch wheels available with sport package)
    * Seat-mounted thorax air bags and dual-stage frontal air bags for front passengers, with automatic passenger sensing system
    * Roof rail side-impact air bags for both seating rows
    * OnStar
    * XM Satellite Radio
    * Power-adjustable front seats
    * Fog lamps
    * Chrome exhaust tips
    * Rear lip spoiler

A sport package will be available for both models and adds features such as specific wheels – including 19-inch aluminum wheels and performance tires on GT – a rear wing spoiler, leather shift knob, leather-wrapped steering wheel and alloy pedals.
    Design

The G8 has a progressive styling package highlighted by strong Pontiac design cues, such as a dual-port grille, fog lamps, bold wheels and a confident, wheels-at-the-corners stance. The design accents the car’s performance lineage, with fenders that flare over the wheels, seemingly hugging the wide tires and enhancing the sporting stance.

Distinctive elements include hood scoops and front fender vents, as well as projector-beam headlamps housed in crystal-clear lenses. At the rear, jewel-like taillamps also are mounted in housings and feature bright detail work surrounding the red lighting elements. G8 models have red taillamp lenses and twin chrome exhaust outlets, while G8 GT models feature clear taillamp lenses and quad chrome exhaust tips. All models have an antenna mounted at the rear of the roof.

Powertrain

The base G8 model receives a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 261 horsepower (194 kW). It is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.

A limited-slip rear differential is standard with GT models.

Suspension system

A 114.8-inch (2915 mm) wheelbase, wide front ( 62.7 inches / 1592 mm) and rear ( 63.3 inches / 1608 mm) tracks, and a fully adjustable, four-wheel independent suspension system combine to give the G8 a confident, sharp driving experience.
    The four-wheel independent suspension system employs a MacPherson strut design in the front and a four-link coil-over-shock design in the rear. Tuning is specific between the base and GT models, but both models use a direct-acting front stabilizer bar, decoupled rear stabilizer bar and lateral ball joints on the rear suspension. This system delivers increased lateral stiffness for enhanced handling.

The front suspension features fully adjustable caster, camber and toe; the rear suspension has fully adjustable camber and toe, which enables more precise, tailored suspension tuning.

Brake system

A four-wheel disc brake system includes standard anti-lock and traction control features and is partnered with a standard electronic stability control system. Both the base and GT models feature vented front and rear disc rotors, with twin-piston alloy calipers in front; the rear brakes feature alloy calipers with single-piston actuation. The brakes are approximately one-inch larger on the higher-performance GT model.

Interior

Designed to meld form and function with world-class fit and finish, the G8’s interior delivers both comfort and convenience, packaged in a level of sophistication not often found in its price range. A driver-oriented instrument cluster positions the gauges for easy, direct line of sight; an electronic driver information center is located between the large, round tachometer and speedometer.

Attention to detail includes jewel-like instruments, selective use of satin and chrome trim and rich-feeling, grained textures throughout. The instrument cluster glows with crisp, white light on the primary instruments and Pontiac ’s signature red lighting illuminates the rest of the instrument panel cluster.

The seats offer firm support to hold occupants in place during aggressive cornering; all seats were designed to deliver excellent comfort during long drives. Cloth seating surfaces are standard, with heated leather seating available. G8 GT models will also offer an optional two-tone cloth or leather combination that pairs black with either red or blue inserts and color-matched instrument faces on certain exterior color combinations.
    http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?g8&source=all

Looks like I know why it is only rated at 368hp. It runs on regular gas. I bet it's just de-tuned to run on regular from the 400hp version in the current GTO. So basically a re-tune for 92 octane will get you back to 400hp.

-mike
    Nice pics....GM, is doing a great job with all these new products and the cool thing is we will get plenty of new vehicals next year and the year after that. :D

Rocky
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I have some experience with 2 major pieces of this G8’s drivetrain. ( Somewhat modified, apparently, but fundamentally the same. )

Specifically:
    The 6.0L V8 and the 6L80 automatic \ manumatic trans. are in my 2007 Corvette.

The additional weight ( I knew it would be heavier than my C6, with a back seat, and all – but almost 4,000 pounds?? ) will obviously not help either acceleration or nimbleness of handling, stopping, etc. The final drive ratio in the GM specs ( at 2.92:1 vs 2.56:1 for the Corvette with automatic ) will help offset that acceleration issue somewhat – at a penalty in highway cruising MPG, I expect.

The motor, tuned for ‘regular’ gas, gives up some HP – and a little TQ ( as installed in the C6 it is rated at 400\400 ) and I wonder how many potential buyers would prefer more of each, and be OK with using ‘premium’ gas???

Anyway – with a bit over 4,500 miles on my 2007, it is unlikely that I’d buy a 2008 G8. But I may well test drive one – to check the dynamics, ergonomics, materials & such of an actual production example, next year sometime.

It is an interesting move on GM \ Pontiac’s part . . .

- Ray
    Interested, not convinced.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Hmm you have to question though, C6 Vette + Autotrans, c'mon guy.

I think this will be a good move on their part, to take on the Charger and 300c. We need a good 6MT sport sedan, there is zero in this class right now.

-mike
    The percentage of Corvettes sold with an automatic continues to be much greater than manuals ( 66+% of Coupes and close to 73% of Convertible for MY 2006, no Z06s, obviously ) ...
    - Ray
    I do not have to question my choice.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Right, but if you are gonna come on here and start saying that the G8 is "too heavy" then you have to expect someone to question your logic of buying a sports car with an Automatic. Can't have it both ways, you can't say "hey, you are buying a slow car that won't handle well cause it's overweight" and in the same breath try to convince us to believe you when you are driving an automatic.

I find it funny, but people in glass houses shouldn't be casting stones, less those stones come back to haunt you. Consider this the stone coming back my friend!

:)

-mike
    Two tone interiors will be offered, read the press release. They just wont be offering that color combination which isnt a bad thing since most people dont seem to like it. I think we are going to have to wait for a while to find out what the real interior colors will be.

The Grand Prix hasnt had plastic cladding since the pre-99 generation. It may not have been the greatest seadn in the world but it did offer better than average performance. The current GXP is probably just as fast as the G8 will be because it weighs 400lbs less. a 303hp FWD car with little torque steer for under $30k sounds reasonable to me, even if the press doesn't agree. Acutally, C&D liked the GXP quite a bit when they tested it in 2005.

As for the new CTS, the interior is better but it's likely to cost several thousand more than the G8.
    I was actually quite careful in my choice of words.
    1 - I didn’t say “too heavy” – just that I was surprised at how heavy.
    2 – I didn’t say it would be “too slow”.
    ( Absolutely, or ‘for me’. )
    There are no published independent acceleration numbers for any G8 – and likely will not be for some time.
    3 – I didn’t say it would not handle well. Or that it is overweight.
    I said the magnitude of the weight difference surprised me.
    And that the additional weight will not help the dynamics.
    I’d hoped for a GT weight closer to 3700 – or even 3800.
    4 – Having to drive an automatic ( due to bursitis in my left foot, if that matters ) in whatever car I choose means I cannot comment here?
    I was not aware of that Edmunds rule . . .
    I meant to cast no stones here.
    Certainly none at you.
    The GM\Pontiac move to a RWD V8 sedan for the G8 I do find very interesting.
    I hope this works out better for GM than the Caddy STS.
    And we’ll see ( eventually ) how the production samples perform.

- Ray
    Waiting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Naah, it's a different engine. The 6.0 in the GTO was the LS2 from the base C6 Corvette, while the 6.0 in the VE Commodore (and G8) is the L98- different tuning, lower compression, etc.
    Apparently, this version of the 6.0L V8 is designated L76 by GM.

And in this application, GM apparently renames DoD:
    “ . . features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power . .”
    I presume that this is DoD, like my 2005 Grand Prix GXP had?

- Ray
    Acronym challenged . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Then you were never going to buy the car in the first place.

I think the new Tundra looks awesome, despite the fake plastic hood scoop in the front.
    I would never not buy it because of that.
    AFM and DOD are the same.... ;)

Rocky
    what do you mean when you say you hope it works out better than the STS? what exactly did the STS do wrong? It hasnt been a huge hit but it sells in numbers comparable to the Infinit M and Lexus GS. The STS is a decent luxury RWD sedan.

There have been tests of the Commodore so we can figure out how the G8 will perform long before it gets here. In fact, MT is going to be testing a Commodore in a future issue to preview the G8. Since this car weighs about the same as the CTS-V I would think 0-60 is reachable in 5.5secs or so.

Holdens are heavy, just like European cars so you might as well get used to the G8 being heavy. Actually, Japanese cars are the only "light" cars overall. American and European cars of similar size typically weigh more than Japanese cars.
  • monarofanmonarofan Member Posts: 30
    The Commodore was car of the year in Australia

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/New-Commodore-is-Wheels-Car-of-the-Year/2- 007/01/23/1169518705972.html

and has been nominated for World Car of the Year
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,20796407-21822,00.html

Can 't be too bad!

Chris
    Work out better than the STS?
    Essentially, as you said: “It hasnt been a huge hit”.
    And period over period sales continue to decline.
    IMHO, GM \ Caddy needed the STS to be a sales hit.
    And now GM \ Pontiac needs the G8 to be a sales hit.
    “Huge” would be really good . . .

Any time a manufacturer enters a new market ( for them ) where they have not yet proven the long term durability of the product or the trade \ re-sale values, they face a very tough road. For example the Caddy STS going from FWD sedan, more luxury biased in my view, to a RWD & more sporting sedan, at rather a high price point. The costs involved in R&D, marketing, etc. really demand that the product be an immediate and a long term sales hit.

I am on record, here & elsewhere, as applauding Caddy for having the determination & the will to bring the new RWD STS to market. I have some issues with equipment availability, option ( group ) pricing and a few other things – that prevented me from purchasing an STS V8. But again, making the investment for a serious foray into trying to compete with the established LPS manufacturers like BMW is something I do respect. And the STS-v was a noble effort.

I just think that if Pontiac is to survive ( and if GM is to thrive ) they cannot afford to have any major new product that is not a big sales success, right out of the box.

We’ll see.
    - Ray
    Rooting for GM here, really . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The only thing I really found wrong with the STS was the price-point. It was significantly higher than most expected to pay for a Caddy and I think that's what hurts it. The car itself though is a masterpiece. GM is doing the right thing bringing RWD, MT cars here.

I can't name more than a handful of $30-31k Manual Transmission RWD or AWD Sedans w/V8s...

V8s-
    G8
    S4
    CTS

V6s/I6-
    G35 Sedan
    3-Series
    A-4
    C320

I4/H4-
    Legacy GT
    IS 250
    C230

That's about all I can think of. Out of all of those listed, the G8 is the largest, and cheapest, except maybe for the CTS.

-mike
    Holden is only shipping 40k to 50k units to the US so the G8 wont be a huge hit by your standards. I think this is more about improving Pontiac's image and raising transaction prices than anything else. This car will not replace the Grand Prix's volume. The G6 is just as big as the GP in most respects so it only makes sense for the GP to be phased out and replaced with a larger, RWD car. Unless the G6 can recover the GP's lost volume, the G8 will NOT boost Pontiac's sales next year.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I think the hood scoops look unappealing, especially with the twin-kidney grille right below them, and the air dam below the grille... Perhaps they should consider including a snorkel--not for underwater use, but just so it could have another air inlet.

To me, the hood scoop is every bit as gimmicky and tacky as the plastic cladding on the old Grand Prix and Grand Ams. Every model of the Holden Commodore has a smooth hood, and the V8 model is available without added air dams. Even with the air dams, the front end of the car is less "busy" than the G8.

I agree and do like the G8. I'd prefer the HSV model myself. I'd like to see the HSV model built as a limited edition G8 with Holden styling. I do prefer the Holden styling over the Pontiac, but the pontiac still looks good.

Rocky
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    I agree with you.

Also, fender vents are getting a bit "gimmicky" too. Even the new Taurus (500) has them!
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    with the scoops. Not to say I might have stuck 'em on there if I was on the design team, but I sure wouldn't have said much, if anything if they showed up one day. Seems somehow Pontiac appropriate to me, and not in a bad way, like the days of BBQ (ribs and wings).

Fender vents, I agree, are tired even before the trend really takes off again. On this, I notice it; on a Jaguar, it makes me ill!

The overall appearance, as with the GTO before it, reminds me strongly of Acura - on steroids. This, IMO, is a much better execution, though, than the lost-in-the-crowd GTO.

I think the 6M tranny will appeal to a few notalgic enthusiasts and that's about it. In a beast this size, especially with this much motive power, it seems entirely unnecessary to me to row your own, even if you're out for some fun. Just something that can select and hold gears should more than do the trick. Still I think they should be bringing it day one, instead of delaying availability. I hate that kind of thing.

Overall, I like it quite a bit. Way too big a car for my tastes, but I think its proportions are nearly optimum and the details deliciously restrained compared to previous PMD cars. Certainly I prefer it to anything I've seen in the Caddy lineup...
  • holdenguyholdenguy Member Posts: 145
    Over here our minimum fuel is 91 octane.
    We also have 95, 98 and 100.
    I run my Commodore on 95.
    The cars computer resets itself when it picks up on higher octane fuel.
    Just run a few tanks of your higher octane fuel and the car will sort itself out.
    Is 92 the highest you have there?
  • holdenguyholdenguy Member Posts: 145
    I posted this in the general section.
    Some of you may not have seen it.
    It may wet your appatite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUNlR2bHcOU
This discussion has been closed.