Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe Interior Questions and Problems

Comments

• Options
    stevephsteveph Member Posts: 3
    easiest way to kill it might be a seatbelt clip from a junkyard, but knowing Hyundai they probably made a change for the 07 The chime is built into the BCM so it cant be cut or muffled. The reason its annoying is ( a) its too loud (b) the programming has it go off every 24 sec for a 6 sec chime while you are in motion, it will also go off if you stop and start and if your lucky get in the 6 sec window and it goes off longer. I looked on the HMS page and it appears that it should go off after 11 patterns, 24sec off/ 6 sec on but the Hyundai havent confirmed that yet, but why should they then everyone would want the BCM reprogrammed to behave correctly. And yes the easiest way is to wear the seatbelt for all you pro-safety people, I just dont like the gvt shoving new restrictions out there that are no real solution. sorry to rant but unless everyone complains to to Hyundai there is little chance to get it to go away because they are trying to be compliant to the Feds.
  • Options
    somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    hmmm - i'm all about safety - wear it and you won't hear the chime - but maybe if you must you can close the seatbelt 1st and then sit (on it)
  • Options
    hucklebuckhucklebuck Member Posts: 11
    That was one of the 1st things i wondered too,i'm with you Curt.If i choose to not wear one and am killed or injured in an accident its my choice.In my last vehicle,it would bug ya for a minute or so then cut off.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Except that the taxpayer gets stuck with people's medical bills when they get injured so it does affect me. Doesn't help my insurance premium rates either.

Plus I don't need the dent in my car when your body flies out your windshield and slams into my door. :P

I'm certainly not going to ride with someone that's not belted. (link)
  • Options
    pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    That is by far the most powerful video I have seen to date on wearing a seatbelt. Wow...
  • Options
    ok this is just for curtamous, try using the passenger seatbelt connected into the drivers housing.
  • Options
    Hey hoss,my insurance and i will pay my medical needs.Not you and the taxpayers.If i fly out the winshield it will invariably be because YOU caused an accident.And as far as insurance companies go,if you believe anything coming outta their mouths youre naive.I bid you peace and grace.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If i fly out the winshield it will invariably be because YOU caused an accident.

I think that if you are not wearing a seatbelt then the odds are in favor of you causing the accident by your ipso facto lack of interest in safety.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Point, set, match to tidester. :D
  • Options
    To suggest that by wearing a seat belt you become a better driver is absurd!I'd be willing to bet that out of all those morons we encounter on the road every single day.That the vast majority are in fact wearing seatbelts.
  • Options
    To suggest that by wearing a seat belt you become a better driver is absurd!I

I neither stated nor suggested that. However, expressed disregard for safety and deliberately avoiding seatbelt usage do indicate that one may, in fact, be a "worse driver."

That the vast majority are in fact wearing seatbelts.

Interesting logic. That's like saying that since the majority of traffic fatalities do not involve alcohol then drunk driving is not the problem but rather sobriety is the culprit.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Sure disregard for safety makes one a dangerous driver,not the lack of being strapped in a seatbelt.Please do tell why and how by avoiding a seatbelt indicates that one may infact be a worse driver.And as far as logic goes,mine tells me that a belt will help you in the event of an accident,but that it has nothing to do with the manner in which one drives,or ones concern for humanity.Just as you may be a stickler for the useage of a belt,which i fully respect.I choose not to wear one and it doesnt make me less of a person in any way shape or form.
  • Options
    How soon we forget! This started with YOUR assertion: "If i fly out the winshield it will invariably be because YOU caused an accident."

You have no basis for such an assertion and I pointed out why I think it is fallacious.

And since the "YOU" in your comment was directed at Steve, I can also tell you that I know for a fact that he is a very safe driver and he would almost certainly not be the cause of your hypothetical accident.

The burden of proof would be on you but I think the "debate" has run its course. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    This discussion can go on and on the original question was to kill the seatbelt alarm which in my opinion has been designed poorly eliminate the stupid thing spend the money on improving gas mileage or alternative fuel sources but thats another topic after watching who killed the electric car. Hopefully the original poster has gotten the answer they need
  • Options
    a couple of suggestions were given--- the original poster can try them and get back to us.... otherwise - this particular complaint is kind of petty... the point of the chime is to keep the driver safe- lucky they didn't make the horn beep instead...
  • Options
    I too am a good driver>Please allow me to apologize to Steve in advance if i fly thru the windshield and damage his car.Happy motoring.
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "Hey hoss,my insurance and i will pay my medical needs.Not you and the taxpayers"

you couldn't be more wrong.
  • Options
    hey - if if the sound is so annoying - you could turn up your radio too! Or maybe after a few tickets it will feel great to put the seat belt on? or maybe a governor corzine moment will cause you to either never hear anything again or make you and your seat belt best friends....
  • Options
    sargesarge Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 07 Sante Fe and noticed that when traveling on the highway going about 65, I feel a cold draft coming from my driver's door panel. The air seems to be coming from the door lock button and the power window switches. I draft is so noticeable and strong that I have to set the heater fan on full to get warm. I live in Salt Lake City, and it was about 25 degrees this morning andI couldn't get warm. Is this an isolated problem that I'm only having? Isn't there any insulation in the door panel? I had a 2004 Sante Fe which I dearly loved but put too many miles on it too fast. I never had any problems with drafty door panels. sarge
  • Options
    hagop50hagop50 Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds stated that the Azera leather did not hold up well and has just obtained a Veracruz in leather for long-term test. For those of you who have had the SF with leather for awhile, would you please give me your opinion on how well it is holding up. I am considering beige in a 2008. Also, does the beige leather in 2008 come with dark carpeting? Thanks
  • Options
    kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with a beige leather interior. I also have three young children (ages 2, 4 and 8). So far, the leather is holding up just fine through 9 months and 13,000 miles.
  • Options
    12pawz12pawz Member Posts: 8
    I'm about to purchase the 2008 SF Limited and was excited about the leather...until I noticed that the 2008's no longer came with the gray leather that the 2007's came with. I didn't want beige for the fear of visible dirt and stains over time and dog hair from our black lab. I didn't want black because of the heat it may produce in the summer. So I'm looking for input anyone may have on the wear and tear and the look of the beige leather vs. the black leather. If I can't have the gray, my next choice would be black but my husband thinks the beige with wood trim looks much classier than the black. Any thoughts??! Thanks!
  • Options
    bannodbannod Member Posts: 24
    I have the black interior in my 2008, but it appears more like dark grey to me. It looks fantastic with the blue illumination.

I can't comment on the heat factor, as I've only had mine for a month and I live on the WA coast. We probably only needed A/C here for 5 days last year!
  • Options
    jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    i looked at the santa fe from the first time it was out on paper till it was made. ive looked at the black,gray andbeige. what my wife liked was thw wood graian that comes with the beige.we did not get the leather beceause we had a 2005 santa fe with leather and i didnt like the feel. so we got cloth. now i have three dogs a black lab ,a brown lab and a border collie. they all ride in my car.have had no probleam with stains or any thing else.i did put scotch guard on it after i bought for about 10.00. great. the only thing a dont like about the 08 is the black panels inside.mine has beige alover enen in the back .now thats a class look.the black just turned me off.thanks jim
  • Options
    todd80todd80 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an 07 SF with a beige interior. I turned the dealer down when I was offered some sort of interior protection treatment for $$$.

I'd like to protect the interior against staining, but I'm not sure what route to take. I guess the cheapest thing to do would be to take a can of scotch guard to it myself.

Is it worth taking the car to a shop that does detailing to have it treated, or should I just save my money?

I haven't begun to shop around for price quotes yet on this sort of thing, but I figured someone on here would have some experience with this.
  • Options
    slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    The dealer makes a lot of profit with fabric protection, paint sealant, etc., you did the right thing in refusing the treatment. You can protect the fabric by applying the product yourself (scotchgard) for minimal cost and it will offer the same protection.
    Congratulations on your new Santa Fe!
  • Options
    Thanks, Bannod! I agree that the black/dark gray looks great with the blue lighting inside. I also don't care for the black steering wheel and dash against the beige leather...it's just too much going on there for me. I like the look of the black interior with the silver and black accents. Black leather...sold!
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Not being a fan of beige, when I bought my 2007 Limited it came down to gray or black leather. Quite honestly, after seeing both interiors in person I really liked the gray; also, we have black leather in our other two cars so I thought it would be good to have something different in our SUV. I had also decided that I wanted Dark Cherry Red, Steel Gray, or Slate Blue for the exterior. As luck would have it, my dealer had an inbound car that was configured EXACTLY the way I wanted it - Limited AWD with Premium Package (moonroof). It was Steel Gray but with the black interior. I took a look at it within hours after it came off the truck and loved it; I bought it and drove it home the next day.

After nearly 9 months, 7,000 miles, and a full California summer, I have no regrets. Between the deep-tinted windows and the outstanding air conditioner, heat simply isn't an issue.

One other thing - upon learning that the black and gray interiors came with dark gray "woodgrain" trim rather than brown, my first reaction was one of disappointment. Now that I've grown accustomed to it, though, it looks fine to me.
  • Options
    mpuzach, thank you so much! It's funny that my color choices, Dark Cherry Red, Steel Gray and Slate Blue are the exact colors I've been pondering over for a month now! As soon as I decide on the Steel Gray, I see a Dark Cherry Red on the road and then I'm back to square one again. I don't believe I can lose with any of them though because they all really look sleek! Thanks again for your opinion!
  • Options
    Yup, those colors are all great. One pleasant surprise about the Steel Gray is that it has a lot of "sparkle" when it's clean and in direct sunlight. It's also pretty forgiving of dirt and dust. It's nearly as easy to keep looking good as silver but it's not nearly as common. Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    As much as I love my red Santa Fe, that color shows the dirt. I'm out there every weekend, sometimes in 40 degree weather, washing my SF.

The grey sounds beautiful - I'd like to see one!
  • Options
    Yeah, I was really worried about the dark cherry red showing dirt as well. The more time that passes, the more I'm leaning towards the Steel Gray! I also wanted to check out the Natural Khaki but each time I go to the dealership, they don't have any cars in stock with that color.
  • Options
    wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    I have the Dark Cherry Red and yes it does show the dust, but man it looks great when it is cleaned. I just polished mine for the first time, and the depth in the paint, along with the metallic content, looks great.

Having looked at all the colors on the lot, I compliment Hyundai on picking a range of great color options. Some look a little drab from afar, but improve when you get up close.
  • Options
    I've seen the Natural Khaki and it's beautiful! Kind of a combination of gold, tan and green. Gorgeous! The one I saw had the 3rd row seating and I didn't want that, so I went with the Cherry two row seating.

I think the Khaki would be great for hiding the dust.
  • Options
    Thanks! I just got off the phone with my dealership and they said they had a Sonata in the Khaki so I will be checking that out today! Does anyone know if the Steel Gray has any of the metallic flecks in it or is it just gray?
  • Options
    I read somewhere (here or another forum) that the steel
    grey is metallic and beautiful.
  • Options
    The Steel Gray is most definitely metallic. I have it on my 2007 Santa Fe Limited and it absolutely glistens in the sunlight. If you're trying to see it in person you might check out Sonatas since they're also available in Steel Gray.
  • Options
    sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    My wife tells me that when I first bought my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe SE that both of the "squares" on the auto dimming mirror lit up. Right now only the one on the left lights up. I don't remember this and I think she is wrong.

Should both of these light up? If so I want to take my vehicle back to the dealer and get it repaired.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Your wife is mistaken. The one on the right is a sensor and does not light up.
  • Options
    dm126dm126 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    My wife and I just (this week) bought a 2008 Santa Fe SE FWD in Deepwater Blue. It looks black much of the time, but in the sunlight the blue sparkles. The blue also shows up in some garage/parking lot lighting. My personal color preference was the Dark Cherry Red, but my wife and I agreed that we preferred the gray interior over the beige. Our second & third color choices were Steel Gray & Slate Blue. It came down to which color in our trim the dealer was able to locate first. The Deepwater will be hard to keep clean, but it really looks nice.
  • Options
    pamcaulfiepamcaulfie Member Posts: 10
    I am in the process of buying a 2008 Santa Fe SE. At the moment I think I am getting a Silver Blue (also like Platinum Sage). Does anyone else have these colors? Do they show a lot if dirt? The Silver Blue looks like the Bright Silver in the sun.
    I like the way they have dark carpet with the beige seats but prefer the gray seats over beige. However the gray carpet is so light it will get really dirty. Has anyone heard of any possibility that Hyundai will put the dark carpet with the gray seats?
  • Options
    I am worried about dirt showing on the light gray carpet & seats in the SI am buying. The dealer said they have a special fabric protector they can apply (for about $170) and that it was much better than scotchguard and I shouldn't use scotchguard on the car. Is there some special fabric protector I can buy in the auto parts store to do it myself? Is there some reason why I shouldn't use scotchguard in the car (I have read somewhere it can have toxic fumes). Can anyone advise me on this?
  • Options
    drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    If you look through this forum, you will see many posts about this topic. I and many others have used scotchguard on our SFs. I'd bet the dealers "special" fabric protector isn't much different. It took 2 cans for the seats and carpeting, and I used the scotchguard carpet foam on the mats. I have the beige interior, and after a year, the seats still look great. I did wind up getting the Weathertech floor liners for the front and back, they fit like a glove and are great for this time of year.
  • Options
    dm126dm126 Member Posts: 14
    Interesting, The dealer we bought from also recommended a "special" fabric protector. He used a small card w/sample fabric to demonstrate. However his price was around $700! (at time of sale only. If you come back after the sale to have the service performed, it costs $1400!) Of course I declined the offer, but will probably use Scotch Guard on the interior. As far as fumes go, I'm sure anything you use to protect the upholstry will give off fumes initially.If you can wait until warmer weather, driving with the windows down will probably air out the vehicle and solve the fume issue.
  • Options
    You can go to weathertech.com to see and compare the difference between their "all weather floor mats" and their "FloorLiner". I have not seen the Hyundai all weather mats but they might be similar to weathertech.

In my opinion WeatherTech makes a top quality product that I have been very satisfied with.

Good luck in what ever choice you make.
  • Options
    Are the "weathertech" floor liners you mention the same as the Santa Fe All Weather mats you can buy from the dealer (approx. $100 for 4)?
    would you recommend putting the scotchguard on when you first get the car before any dirt gets on it or can you do it any time?

The dealer also tries to sell undercoating and paint sealing at the time of purchase... any thoughts on whether this is necessary?
  • Options
    In a word, No, the paint sealant, undercoating, fabric protectant, etc. are purely huge profit items for the dealer and are not necssary. The items may be purchased much cheaper elsewere if you feel you need them. I'm surprised the dealer is trying to sell the undercoating since it may void Hyundai's warranty.

It would be best to apply any fabric protectant as soon as possible, before any spills or mishaps. Read the precautions on the container carefully before you apply.
    Chances are the same precautions apply to any product the dealer would use.

I have the Weathertech floorliners in my Santa Fe and keep them in year round. I am very pleased with the appearance and of course they fit like a glove and I never have to worry about getting the carpet dirty (light gray carpet). :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info... I didn't think the undercoating was necessary but dealer tried to push the paint sealer because he said today's new "environmentally friendly" paints don't hold up as well as it used to without the sealer.

Are the "weathertech" floor liners you mention the same as the Santa Fe All Weather mats you can buy from the dealer (approx. $100 for 4)?
  • Options
    drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    The big difference with the Weathertech floor liners vs. either theirs or Hyundai's all weather mats is they have a wall around the edge, so they keep any water from running off the mat onto the carpet. I have the beige interior, and the floor liners are a little darker than my interior, but I think it still looks good, and they do a great job.
  • Options
    oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Every Santa Fe gets Hyundai-applied undercoating. If you take a tour of the plant, you can see the building dedicated to applying undercoating. Once the Santa Fe (or Sonata) leaves the plant, it is taken first through a building where they throw in floor mats and things like that. Next, it is driven to a building where the undercoating is applied. Its kind of like the assembly line, where the Santa Fe is on some kind of conveyer system. They apply the undercoating to all vehicles, and are then shipped to a holding yard.

Use Scotchguard rather than the $700 dealer "service". :P