Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 vs Nissan Sentra

radical_dreameradical_dreame Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Please help me convince my brother to buy a 2004 Mazda 3 over a 2002 Nissan Sentra. Please!

My family is currently car shopping and for some weird reason my brother to get a nissan sentra. Ugggg. Ewwwww.

Anyways, the one he found is 2002 Nissan Sentra with 40K miles for $9,000.

I found a 2002 Mazda 3 S, with 20k miles for 15,000. Please what do i need to do to convince him. We gotta travel 100 miles to test drive both.

Also what do i need to do to convince my parents that the 3 is much better than the sentra even with that huge price difference.

Comments

• thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    if he likes it, why do you feel the need to convince him otherwise? the sentra is a good small car. how old is your brother? also, what is his budget with regards to a car purchase? sometimes, the nicer cars just aren't in your price range. there's no point in stretching yourself thin for no reason. the sentra will get your brother from point A to point B just like the mazda 3...

just my opinion though!

-thene :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The only problem with a Sentra is the lack of legroom in the back seat. $9000 sounds a bit high for a 2002, however it is difficult to price without more details.
    Sentra will deliver better mpg, Mazda 3 will deliver better handling.
    Other than personal preference, what is your argument for or against each vehicle?
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    the sentra is kinda small in the back seat, but most compact cars are like this - the mazda 3 doesnt have THAT much more room, in my opinion. i own a sentra, and a friend of mine has a mazda 3. both great cars!

either way, i think a lot of it will have to do on how much your bro wants to spend, and what you can negotiate for prices on the two cars.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The wife has a '05 3s and it's way better than the '03 Sentra I traded this past June. No comparison in my opinion. Contrary to what others say, the Sentra's mileage was pretty lousy and the only things good about it were the standard non-ABS brakes and the Road Trip Package sound system. Besides those 2 things, the car was as bland as can be. The 3 is a much better vehicle hands down.
    Good luck!

The Sandman :)
  • comp386comp386 Member Posts: 56
    Just read the Mazda 3 vs Honda Civic review if they need any convincing. "The 3 did things at the track that would have impressed us in a car that cost $10,000 more." $15,000 sounds a little high for the 2004 Mazda 3 though unless it's fully loaded. The base Mazda 3 S is pretty nice by itself if you don't need features like leather seats, moonroof etc. I remember I was checking out a new 2005 Mazda 3 I touring a year ago and it was 15,000 out the door.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I remember I was checking out a new 2005 Mazda 3 I touring a year ago and it was 15,000 out the door

Wow, that's cheap. The base Mazda3 i with a 5-speed manual started at $15,150. The Mazda3 i Touring with manual close to $17,000, $18,000 with an automatic...before taxes.

Back in 2005 they didn't offer the Touring model. It was the "power package" in 04-05.
    The performance models of the Sentra should be compared to the higher price Mazda 3 models.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The performance models of the Sentra should be compared to the higher price Mazda 3 models."

Hmmmm, well considering that for 2007, there is NO SE-R or Spec V, then you're talking about the '06 models.

From a pure performance standpoint, the SE-R and Spec V are probably a better deal (particularly if you can find a dealer trying to blow out his remaining '06 models with the '07 models hitting the lots).

But, according to the Edmunds review of the '06 Sentra:

"It's still one of the fastest economy cars on the market in SE-R, but it's outclassed by its peers in most other areas. The Sentra's biggest drawback is its cramped cabin. It's hard to find a comfortable driving position and legroom is almost nonexistent in the backseat. A decent features list and the solid performance of the SE-R models still make the Nissan Sentra a viable choice, but most small-car buyers would be better served by the Civic or Mazda 3".
    Hmmmm, well considering that for 2007, there is NO SE-R or Spec V, then you're talking about the '06 models. :sick:

No rorr, I'm referring to the 2007 SE-R and SE-R Spec V models. Not 2006. Not 2008.
    They will be officially released at the end of this month at the LA Auto Show.

quote-
    All-new for 2007, the Nissan Sentra will once again have SE-R high performance models; both SE-R and SE-R Spec V. As a pioneer model in the field of sport compact cars, the 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R offers more power, performance and technology to this highly acclaimed model. The SE-R Spec V model will be powered by a specifically designed high-output version of Nissan’s 2.5-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine. Additional information on the SE-R with be announced at the LA Auto Show on November 29th.
    -end
    Hmmmmm, well when you said we should be comparing the SE-R and Spec V Sentras to the higher end Mazda3, HOW did you propose we do that for cars that nobody knows about?

BTW - before I made my last post I checked here at Edmunds for the 2007 Sentra (nope, they don't list the SE-R or Spec V models for '07) as well as under the "Future Cars" section.

If you'd like to compare the '07 Sentra SE-R and Spec V to the upper-end Mazda3, go right ahead........
    Hmmmmm, well when you said we should be comparing the SE-R and Spec V Sentras to the higher end Mazda3, HOW did you propose we do that for cars that nobody knows about? :sick:

Well, you did not know about them.........however, the major details of the SE-R and Spec V Sentra 07's have been released and known for the over 6 months.

BTW - before I made my last post I checked here at Edmunds for the 2007 Sentra (nope, they don't list the SE-R or Spec V models for '07) as well as under the "Future Cars" section. :sick:

2007's are not really "future" cars, are they?

If you'd like to compare the '07 Sentra SE-R and Spec V to the upper-end Mazda3, go right ahead........

I will later this month. ;)

He had better keep in mind that the "upper" Mazda3 is now the Mazdaspeed3.

Personally, I do not see much comparison between the Sentra SE-R Spec V and the Mazdaspeed3 until I see official data from Nissan.
    If the Spec V is priced near the $22,835 base price of the MazdaSpeed 3, then that would be the most relevant comparison.
    IMO, all trim levels of the Sentra are overpriced, and if the Spec V does approch $23,000....it is going to be found lacking compared to the M'Speed 3.
    I have been unable to really find anything on the 07 SE-R Spec V. Have you seen any official info? If so, where can I find it?
    "....however, the major details of the SE-R and Spec V Sentra 07's have been released and known for the over 6 months."

And the major details are.......? C'mon already, we're dying in suspense.

BTW - I looked in the "future cars" sections becaaaaaaaaaause....the '07 SE-R and Spec V models AREN'T OUT yet. :P
    All I have been able to find is that the car will be debuting at the LA Auto Show later this month....numerous sites stating "....the SE-R Spec V will have more power then it's predesessor..."
    Yep; that's about all I've been able to find out as well.

I'm still trying to find out what 'major details' about the upcoming car were released 6 months ago.... :confuse:
    :blush: As I stated on 12 Nov and which is now confirmed
    07 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    200 HP
    Limited Slip
    17" wheels
    6 speed manual
    It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the Civic Si and VW GTI
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    agreed. it seems like it should be able to keep up with the gti, given its amount of torque, and it may even leave the si behind because of that same reason, although i think the civic will still out handle both vehicles.
    Well, the MazdaSpeed3 took 1st place and the Civic Si took 3rd place in the Edmunds comparison. Civic Si is overrated.
    Civic Si is overrated.

I would not say it's "overrated", however, when you stack it up against other sport compacts, it does not stand out as much as the MS3. Afterall, it is a Civic.

I called a friend of mine at the local Nissan dealer, and he stated that he wont see the SE-R Spec V for quite some time. I'm very curious how it will perform.
    sometimes i feel the mazda speed 3 is overrated just because people like you feel like butting the car into conversations that it was not involved in just of for the sake of doing so. :mad: (i.e. how i was comparing the se-r to the gti and si. And the fact that it came out 3rd and won the most innovative powertrain in the same comparo you are speaking of says volumes about the civic, especially when the 2 cars that bested it were turbo's with large displacement engines.)
    "sometimes i feel the mazda speed 3 is overrated just because people like you feel like butting the car into conversations that it was not involved in just of for the sake of doing so."

.....and I can recall a certain someone butting the Civic Si into a conversation which was specifically regarding comparisons between the base Mazda3 and the regular Civic.

BTW - since this entire THREAD is titled "Mazda3 vs. Nissan Sentra", why is there even discussions involving either the GTI or the Si? If the discussion has morphed over to the SE-R and SpecV, wouldn't bringing up the Speed3 be on topic considering the thread?
    The Mazda3 is certainly better than any current Sentra.
    Will have to wait until March to see how the SE-R and Spec V measure up.
    Neither the Sentra nor the 3 win any beauty contests.
    hey rorr. Yeah i may have butted it in but i was following suit with someone elses comments on the si was i not? If not, my bad!
    Well, the situation I remember was someone comparing a Mazda 3i vs. a Civic EX and they made a statement regarding their perception of the interior quality being better even on the most basic Mazda3 than the Civic. I thought it was very clear they were trying to compare the 'regular' Mazda3 (3i or 3s with their available interiors) to the 'regular' Civic (either LX or EX). And yet you felt the need to defend the Civic by bringing in the Si.

Picky on my part? Sure. Just giving an example though....
    Well rorr i honestly dont remember because it was awhile back. And at least i was comparing the same 'car' in the sense that it was still a civic. (as oppossed to butting in a car that has absolutely nothing to do with the comparison at hand trim level or not.)

boo ya. :P
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    ...civil. There is nothing wrong with a little banter, but let's make sure no one takes it too far. (Just a friendly reminder)
  • james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
    According to VW's site the GTI Mark V is 3,100lbs. Against the new spec's 3,080 lbs weight it looks like in this case the Spec has a slight edge weight wise. In the videos the guys driving say it handles like a dream. Maybe I'll test drive one.
    Well it is kinda, sometimes when a Nissan fan like myself posts something praising the SpecVs and such some Honda person comes out of the woodwork and starts telling me how the Civic Si or Hondas in general will smoke the SpecVs or Sentras blah blah blah and all. Hondas are the ones who sport "i-VTec DOHC" stickers on the cars. It could be said that Hondas are the kings of talk because the most of the time the only energy being produced is the Honda driver running his or her mouth about how they can beat this and that car. You don't see us Nissan people doing that, we don't need or have to trash talk we know we have great cars.
    It could be said that Hondas are the kings of talk because the most of the time the only energy being produced is the Honda driver running his or her mouth about how they can beat this and that car. You don't see us Nissan people doing that, we don't need or have to trash talk we know we have great cars.

HA! Have you been to the sentra ser forums? They are filled with this kind of stuff! :blush:

ANYBODY is capbable of running their mouth. Its not limited to a specific brand loyal group.
    Pot calling the kettle black. :P Actually what you have said is incorrect, I have been to them and they are filled with other brands' fans putting Nissan's down. Nature of competition, when you're the best everyone is out to get you fans included.
    actually the last time i checked it was 2 nissan guys arguing which gen. of ser was faster. I went to post on that forum flabbergasted( always wanted to say that. ;) about why the whole 'smoked' term was used, seeing as how 'smoked' usually means besting the other car by a wide margin.

And even then i expressed interest in the car, its availability with an auto and its adundant torque.

But when you go in with the childish '_____ sucks' comments, you are just asking for it. Geez it wasn't even a si vs. se-r thread. And if it was, i'm pretty sure your posts would be along the same '___ sucks, nissan is better' lines, which unfortunately makes for very poor conversation but does make for some great 'at james31278's expense' entertainment.

:)

Nature of competition, when you're the best everyone is out to get you fans included.

no one is the best. Just proves my point.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please check the topic title, this discussion is not about Hondas, VWs, or your personal opinions of each other. If you wish to exchange any further personal "pleasantries", I suggest you take it outside..preferably in email or you can also go over to www.carspace.com and use the chat feature there.

Thanks for your cooperation!
    Wrong topic. Hahaha.
    :sick:
    Well this is the Mazda3 vs Sentra topic.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    I am torn between these two cars. I like the power of the MS3, and the fact that you *could* fit three people in the back. Price of MS3 is great for what you get.

I test drove an 8 and was blown away with how it cornered, and how it took the twisties. The RX8 seems more sporty - it's RWD, has a great shifter, and looks more agressive when fitted with the appearance package/body kit.

for those of you who have had a chance to test drive them back to back - what were your thoughts or observations?

the RX8 only fits two in the back, and I might need to fit more than 2 people in the back of my next car...so I'm reluctant to get an 8, not to mention bad MPG and reliability issues...but it was so much fun.

you guys think a MS3 would outrun an RX8 on a twisty backgrod...or would the RX8 just walk awawy from teh MS3...in a straight line the MS3 would outrun an 8...but what about in the twisties???
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    the RX8 only fits two in the back, and I might need to fit more than 2 people in the back of my next car...
    The RX8 is a sports car not a sedan. I'd only have 2 in the back of an RX8 if the trip was short or the occupants were four legged. More than 2, yikes! If you only use the backseat infrequently, then go for the RX8.

Your dilemma is the classic one of heart over head. If you find yourself making excuses for getting an RX8, why fight it? :)
This discussion has been closed.