Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    regardless of the doors. Many vehicles now have them in the seat. I am HOPING that is what they do to the new Wrangler.

-Paul
  • 2006_wrangler2006_wrangler Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any more information on whether Jeep will be building a 2006 model year Wrangler before redesign?

I am finally going to buy a Wrangler but I'm planning to use my 2005 tax return to fund it. That means that I have to wait until Feb or Mar 2006! However, I don't want to miss the current design! I called Jeep directly, the girl who answered seemed to want to help and put me on hold twice for a total of about 10 minutes. But then she came back with a boilerplate response "we do not have any information on future models, we suggest contacting your local dealer."

I'm worried that if I don't suck it up and buy a 2005 model year soon, my only choice is to buy used...or wait for the "new, improved" version. I think that the current design is WONDERFUL and any "improvments" Jeep may make will only degrade it. Plus, I have a '98 Cherokee with an I-6 and want another one... I'm not a fan of V-6s.
  • zinman61zinman61 Member Posts: 14
    Waiting on your 2005 tax return???

Perhaps you should increase your deductions and bank the savings now instead of letting the government hold your money.
    Just a thought.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    The 2006 Wrangler is unchanged, compared to the 2005. Expect a 5 percent price hike , and the 2006 are appearing a month early and might end production a a month early and that means you would have a situation of having both the 2006 and the redesigned 2007 in dealers lots side by side. This time they do not expect big rebates in the summer of 2006. Chrysler knows that we bought our Wranglers because of the redesign coming. So I think if you file your 2005 tax early in Feb. next year, you might just get the last few thousand units. Also monitor a website called Mike's totally Free Jeep news, they keep track of Jeep rumors.
  • hdctjhdctj Member Posts: 5
    That fella that saw a 4dr TJ probably saw one of AEV converison's LWB stretch jobbies:
    http://www.aev-conversions.com/

They're not making them anymore since Jeep's making the Unlimited now.

Overall don't expect too many changes in the Wrangler in 2006. And no Jeep will NEVER EOL the model. The TJ/Wrangler is the sacredest of all automotive branding sacred cows. Expect things like trim level option selection changes (like the factory installed airlockers, Dana 44's front & rear, GPS nav, etc across more models), and the newer V6 that's in the Liberties & GC's, and minimal sheet metal changes.

Methinks alot of the changes will be under the hood and interior part changes to unify stock with the other Jeep models. At least I hope so! My new 05 GC is light years past my 00 TJ in fit and finish. You could just about eat off that Hemi engine compartment its so clean. It would be nice if the rest of the Jeep line picked up that attention to detail in design too.
  • jokerrjokerr Member Posts: 3
    Don't say that or chrysler will slap one of their overstated HEMis in it. CRD is a good idea though. I just want to keep my removable half doors and soft top.
  • jokerrjokerr Member Posts: 3
    I don't think we need to worry to much about the Government since when I pass the Congressinal Parking Lots there are an awful lot of Wranglers in the lot. The wranglers are a protected species.
  • calvouscalvous Member Posts: 1
    Do anybody know about the possibility of full time 4WD (like Quad Trak) for the up-coming Jeep Wrangler?
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    Toledo Blade Story

The linked article quotes a UAW official affiliated with the Toledo Jeep plant saying that DC is making ready to install CRD diesels in the new 2007 Wrangler model. Now, if they'll just make it legal for CA!! And make it a mid-06 intro!!! I don't get why DC is so tight-lipped about the new TJ model...most car makers are eager to promote their new models well in advance.
  • honkhonk Member Posts: 1
    Ya'll must be slippin,
    You think that your wrangler needs no change? What? The Wrangler SUCKS only because it needs change. Mostly better gas mileage! So Quit buying em until they give us more bang for our buck! I'd be happy with a ten speed and a 1 liter turbo diesel. "Do stupid people know they're stupid?"
  • josephus1josephus1 Member Posts: 5
    Long wheelbase Rubicon CRD!
    I really hope DCx builds this thing. Americans are ready for diesel power and efficiency.
  • greenie2greenie2 Member Posts: 2
  • greenie2greenie2 Member Posts: 2
    any body have a guess how many wranglers are sold a year???
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
  • karluverkarluver Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if we will ever see another Scrambler? :confuse:
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Yup, it'll be called a Gladiator! See the separate thread! :shades:
    and get a custom truck type top. :) Yes, they are made.

-Paul
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    For off-roading?
    That is the indication. Spy shots have shown what appears to be a SFA in front (and I assume in back). I've seen them and I see control arms too, which indicate solid axles as well.

I've heard Dana has the contract for axles still, so all signs point to yes - solid axles front and rear.

How long they remain on Jeeps has yet to be seen. I fear days are numbered.

-Paul
    Here are some pics of the new Wrangler. It is good sized, so I'll post just the link. Think the front end looks a LOT like the Gladiator. This could be good or bad. It may mean the Gladiator won't happen and was a testbed for the new Wrangler, or since they share parts, that it would happen.

http://www.4x4shots.com/albums/userpics/10054/Jeep1.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=549

-Paul
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    It looks like Jeep Truck Engineering (JTE) has done good research once again. Not thrilled about the slope of the grill, but I suppose it bought them a couple points in the wind tunnel. A 3.8...hmmm...hopefully not the same one from the mini-van line. I hope a CRD (maybe in the 3.5L range)is in future plans. Fuel economy and torque in a Jeep. What a novel idea. For now, good work JTE keeping the lawyers and bean counters at bay. Can't wait to test drive one of these in 4 door.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    The 2007 Jeep Wrangler is an improvement over my 04 TJ. The TJ has a super durable inline 6 and overall simple design with plenty of after market parts. However the safety of the TJ body structure has me wondering sometimes?
    The 2007 should be a lot safer and had arrived just in time to counter the 2007 Toyota FJ cruiser which would like to take away 46000 jeep buyers. A final thought ,I think it would take years before enough after market parts are available for the TK. Me if I were to buy one, I will get the 4 door version, since I use mine as a daily driver.
    http://jweb.jrations.com/07wrglr/07wrglr_index.php

The 3.8 is the same one used in the Pacifica, but I believe they have done some tuning on it for Jeep use.

-Paul
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I know I will get use to the look but at this point I am not 100% liking it. I think the main point I do not like is the postal jeep grill. Also whats up with the solid plastic flairs as fenders. Hopefully they will come in more colors than black. I am almost sick about the loss of the straight six. I knew back in "87 that Chrysler would change Jeep and not in a good way. Yes I know the engine was 40 years old. Chrysler should have designed a new head for the engine. Some say that the tooling's were worn out and that new engine boring machines were needed. Like so many others, slowly we are seeing niche vehicles we love turned into mass market money makers.
  • greg23greg23 Member Posts: 4
    I kind of like the idea of plastic fenders. This way they won't scratch when you go off roading, and they wont dent. As long as the overall design is good little exterior things like that dont bother me. I agree with you on the Inline 6, they should not stop making that engine. I had a 1999 Cherokee Sport with that engine and it ran great, 170,000miles and not even an oil leak. Plus it had good low end power so it was easy to climb hills off road and it accelerated fast too. The fact that the engine has been around for 40 years is a good thing because it means Jeep has had a chance to work all the bugs out of it, so that it doesn't end up breaking down on you like so many newer cars do.
  • greg23greg23 Member Posts: 4
    Jeep isn't replacing the wrangler, they are just redesigning it a little and adding a 4 door version. In order to be a true Jeep wrangler it would nee to have removable doors, a fold flat wind shield and a roll cage. As for axles and suspension it needs to have what ever is necessary in order for it to be a true off roader and live up to the Jeep name. As for the engine, the 4.0 liter that is currently being used can be droped cause its not very good on gas and the Wrangler isn't fast enough, however if they can put the 4.0 liter from the cherokee in there it would be very good, because the Cherokee 4.0 liter has more power than the Wrangler 4.0 liter. But if they are going to be getting rid of that engine all together then I would like to see an engine with no less than 235 ft lbs of torque and 225 Horse Power with lots of low end power. The 3.5 Liter V6 form the Magnum would be good if they could manage to get the horse power and torque at a lower RPM. In order for a Jeep to be a Jeep it needs to be rear wheel drive, have serious off road capabilities, low end power, the signature grille, and some what agresive styling or at least not soft, nice styling like the Liberty which by the way I think is the ugliest thing Jeep has ever made and that is why I'd never buy one. I am also hoping that the 4 door Wrangler will be the same size or at least close to the size of the 2001 Cherokee, because for me that is the perfect size SUV, and I think Jeep made a huge mistake by discontinuing it and an even bigger mistake replacing it with the Liberty. I would also like to see a Diesel engine in the new Wranglers because I do plan on getting one and if it had a diesel engine I would be able to use vegetable oil for fuel and save some money ( The whole reason the diesel engine was invented was for alternative fuel purposes, it is supposed to be run on vegetable oil, not petroleum based fuel. It not only produces more power but also gets better gas millage when ran on vegetable oil; Discovery Channel History of the Diesel Engine).
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    I agree the 4.0 and previous I6 engines are great for low end torque at low RPM and run forever with proper maintenance. Greg23 must have the record with no oil leaks at 170K miles. Not leaking oil is not one of the 4.0's strong points. I believe the Wrangler engine is the same engine used in the Cherokee XJ only the intake is modified. The XJ is more efficient in that respect. My 99 Wrangler 4.0 / 5spd achieved 20 mpg highway when it was stock. That is not bad considering the poor aerodynamics and weight. As much as I love the I6, it is time to make the leap to a modern more fuel engine. The 4.7 V8 in my 99 Grand Cherokee is extremely smooth with ample power and torque. It would have been a nice choice. The 3.8 hp/torque numbers shown are not significantly better than the 4.0 and the torque comes in at a much higher rpm. I hope it can achieve upwards of 25 mpg or it will not be worth trading my 99 for it. Put a diesel in it with near 300 lb ft of torque and 25+ mpg. That will get me in talking to the silk tie boys.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Or it could mean the Gladiator is already a done deal and Jeep is just waiting to bring it out in the middle of the year. (Wranger 07, 2Dr, 4Dr, Truck)? Could be.

Let's all pray they do!
    Too true. :)

Either way, they are similar enough that the addition of the Gladiator would not be a major hassle since I would imagine a lot of body, sheet metal, and interior pieces would be shared.

Maybe a Wrangler Gladiator or Scrambler to go along with the Wrangler Sahara and Wrangler Rubicon - just another variation on the theme?

-Paul
  • chili4x4chili4x4 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Greg:

Just a couple of comments about that butt-ugly liberty. My butt-ugly liberty has 110,000 miles on the 3.7 liter motor and truely has no leaks. Granted, I can only lift it 2.5 inches to make room for the 275/75/16's but I get a great ride everyday back and forth to work. Granted I shouldn't put a locker in the front pumpkin, but ARB makes a great unit for the rear. I think you wrangler guys should swallow a little pride and invite a few libbys out on the trail for a day. I think you might be surprised that by golly its a jeep too! I think Im going to break down and get a 2007 Rubicon to park along side the 2002 Libby. Let's keep it all American!! Oh Yeah.. You can get a diesel capable of using biodiesel in a Libby right now.. no need to wait for the Wrangler. Unless you live in the UK those units will be available this fall. Keep the rubber down and lets go wheelin
  • chili4x4chili4x4 Member Posts: 5
    Jeez:

I bet youre glad you bought your new jeep then.. that 2007 with 32" tires and lockers on both ends, cool 3 piece top and even electic windows surely wont be as good as your '05...
    And the reason there is no diesel in the next Wrangler is?
    Most likely the reasoning is that the new generation of diesels being used need the cleaner burning diesel that is being mandated by 10/2006 standards going in to effect. I believe this is the same time MB is using a new diesel engine in their E Series (E320 CDI).

I would think that if a diesel would be coming in the new Wrangler (and maybe Gladiator if they build it), I wouldn't expect it until the 2008 model year sometime next year.

Most automakers don't offer all versions of a vehicle at one time.

Corvette didn't have a C6 Z06 until this year - one year after the C6 come out.
    BMW doesn't have an E90-based coupe yet for the 3 Series (E92 for the coupe version). And their M's and convertibles follow several years after THAT.

Perhaps they want to work out some of those first year kinks that always seem to pop up before they drop another engine into it and introduce additional variables.

Don't be so quick to think it won't happen. It still may not, but at least realize that there may be some rational thought behind as to why.

-Paul
  • wweirichmwweirichm Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody seen a 2006 vs 2007 specification comparison chart :confuse:
    Thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Jeep.com has a section previewing the 2007 Wrangler now.
  • ds7788ds7788 Member Posts: 1
    Jeep website shows a CRD Diesel engine will be available on the new Wrangler but it says ( Export Only) anyone know what that means ?
  • mike_englemike_engle Member Posts: 1
    You will be able to get the 2.8 CRD here in the States. It will have to be a special order though which can jack the price up. For what reasion I don't know. But You can get one.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Export Only means only for vehicles exported out of the US.
    At least for now. Europe's diesel market is much stronger than the diesel market here.

Again, wait until the new diesel fuels are here in the US.

-Paul
  • abelewabelew Member Posts: 2
    I think for what the wrangler was built to do, the 4.0 I6 was, and is the best (gas) powerplant they could use. It has lots of low end torque, built like a tank, lasted forever. Guys who are buying wranglers for road trips, etc won't ever benefit from a wrangler, no matter what motor it's running. It's simply not the vehicle for that. It's ment as an off road machine. You need lots of low end torque for that...and a small v6 just isn't going to provide that. If you can, get the diesel if they take the I6 away (and you plan to do any thing offroad.
  • countryhonkcountryhonk Member Posts: 2
    Image hosting by Photobucket">
    The front bumper is covered in plastic . The hood and grill looks like that renegade liberty . Available 18" dubs ? 17"s on the rubicon ? Why ? Bucket seats in back? Is it wider cause we are fatter ? Trails are narrow around here. Its longer so it will high center easier. Power windows ? Whomever they marketed it for wasn't me .

With negs out of the way I do like the idea of bigger tires . 32s are not bad . I like the tow package offered on the X that includes a rear 44 w/ a locker . 6 speed . I am glad they still offer half doors and a soft top . I havent made up my mind if I like it or not .
    Have you compared the specs of the JK versus the current TJ? I'm not all that sure that it is that much wider when you go from the widest points (wheels). Yes the body may be wider, but notice how those 32's just fit in there just fine with little apparent sticking out. My 33's stick out a good bit with the stock wheels.

As for the bumper, fuhgedaboudit. That's what aftermarket is for. :)

Bucket seats in the back would probably HELP those sitting back there while wheeling, if you have passengers. My back seat has been out for a while now, so whether it is bench or bucket (I forget ;) ) is irrelevant.

The 18" wheels for street driving would probably make for a fairly responsive drive versus the taller sidewalls of offroad tires. Be realistic, what percentage of Wranglers actually see trail time? I'm thinking it is not even close to 50% - probably closer to 15% and even that may be high. Those 18's will appeal to those who want to have a rugged vehicle but keep it on the street. I look at it like this:

That is a potential used vehicle for me that I know will not have been offroad and be a GREAT selection for me when the used ones come on the market. :) I'll keep the 18's for street use and get some good offroad tires/wheels. :)

Length is rather irrelevant. I've wheeled with Cherokees, GRAND Cherokees and Libertys. Wheel length was irrelevant. If you notice the JK's t-cas is tucked higher than the shovel we have now - unless you go with a tummy tuck. I've seen several Unlimiteds wheel just fine. I'll take an experienced driver in an Unlimited over a newb (like me) in a SWB Wrangler any day.

-Paul
  • countryhonkcountryhonk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the positive reply to my rather negitive post ! All of you points are right on and make good sence . :)

Image hosting by Photobucket

I think you are probably right about lenght . I know there are many benifits to a longer WB and the only drawback would be high centering but as you state the belly is tucked and the tires slightly taller and with a locker in back sounds like the pros are outweighing the cons on that one .

I may just be afraid of change to my all time favorite . Im will be keeping a open mind and looking forward to seeing and driving one this fall .

• achandlerachandler Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard any rumors about the new 3.8L? I was wanting to see the torque curve. The new engine makes slightly more torque than the 4.0L but I was wondering where it made it. Hopefully this engine will get better mpg ratings than the 4.0L. Has anyone heard anything about that? I know that there are some people who like the L6 engine, I'm one of them. But I need the JK to be a daily driver too so mpg counts.

Dose anyone have an opinion about the new convertible top? I realize that if the cabin is longer then the top will be longer and with a bigger hard top it will be more difficult to find a place to store it when it's off. So considering that it makes sense to be able to brake it down into three pieces. I still haven't made up my mind if I like the new top. It seems to me that it might leak. Not right off the show room floor, but eventually. Hopefully if it appears to be a pain there will be aftermarket solid hard tops.

I don't think I like the plastic fenders. I'm more fond of the TJ fenders. However, if you beat up one of these on the trail then to replace it requires little or no prep work such as painting. Just bolt it on and your good to go. If you look closely at all of the new plastic on it you'll notice that it's all around the lower edges. This is where most of the off-road damage will occur, right? So therefor it seems like Jeep wants you to be able to just bolt on replacement part without having to paint them or prep them.

But those are just my opinions. All car comments/replies are welcome. :)

Thanks,
    Aaron
    I think the first thing I would do is paint the fenders. I have never been a fan of black plastic flairs.
    I agree with you 100%. Paint the fenders! If I wanted to have cheap after-market fenders on my jeep I would buy them myself!
    :P
    I want a new Scrambler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • I'm still undecided on the new Wrangler. I am tempted to trade in my wife's Liberty and get a second 2005 or 2006 Wrangler before they are no longer available new. However, I must admit, I think my wife would be more comfortable in the new Wrangler thanks to items like the power door locks and windows as well as the potentially easier roof configuration of the new hard top. Personally, I wouldn't want power door locks or windows in a Wrangler but I can see why people would like those little "perks".

The thing I like the least is the plastic front grill. It's almost the same plastic front grill found on my wife's 2005 Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountain Edition. I guess the old-fashioned, heavy-metal of a Wrangler front grill seems more appropriate behind a serious winch and/or after-market bumper.

Just my 2-cents worth...

This discussion has been closed.