Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    Yes but right now no one has the rear doors only front doors. I agree with the suggestion as it is what I am doing as I got full doors and the hard top. Bestop has the soft tops and biminis for the 4 door models and front half doors but no one yet has the rear. I feel that by spring or at least early summer they will have all 4 replacement doors. Of course if you have money the dealer can order them but I think I can wait till I can get them aftermarket.
    In a couple of weeks we will be in Florida close enough to Daytona for a day trip. Weather permitting I want to ride the beach without the top and doors. As we have full doors and a hard top it will require us leaving everything at my sister-in-law's. I know you have to move the mirrors in order to keep them installed and legal and plan on this modification. I will need to travel some on US-1 and more on A-1-A to get to Daytona. My wife said she is cool with riding with no doors however she thinks it is not might not be legal because she heard about some jeep owners in PA getting ticketed a while back. I say it is because otherwise I would have seen hundreds of jeep owners stopped including her brother. Who is right?
    BTW I know the safety issues about riding w/o doors on the road and don't want to discuss them just the legality of doing it. :shades:
    Yep mine has a plug and the manual suggests you just wash the mud out if you happen to track some in.
    Mine did too but I found out it had been put on and off a couple of times the week before I bought it. It could be it was not correctly installed at the factory or the dealer had it off. When I saw the leak I pulled into a car wash and took the top off and reinstalled it correctly then the leak was gone. It makes a difference if you follow the owners manual on reinstalling the top or just do it haphazzard. I put everything in place right first then left and then clamped the front to the windshield screwed the rear down and flipped the levers. If you do this the leak should disappear if not simply take it to your service department at the dealership and complain they should fix it for you no charge. I have heard this same complaint a lot and have seen the same suggestion I just gave you given by others and followed and so far it has worked every time. Sometimes it has even taken an owner doing it after the dealer did because the service tech did not reinstall it right.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Not a problem in FL.

PA just has some really stupid laws like that. :)

I'm topless and doorless most of the summer in my TJ in AL and know of a LOT of jeepers in FL who do the same thing.

-Paul
    Thanks, I am pretty sure we have no laws agianst it here either as everyone does it. I figured it was one of those quirky laws if it was true.
  • otchotch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for everyone's input on the full vs half door debate. I continue to welcome comments from anyone with strong feelings either way. At this point, I am leaning toward the half doors, and picking up some Bestop sliding glass uppers. However, I still have some fear that I am going to regret not having the power locks and windows.
    In fact, I tried to order the 4 door Rubicon today (with the half doors), but amazingly, the dealer said that they are not taking orders for the 4 door version with the half doors yet (only the 2 door). I can't understand how they can promote this ultimate off road vehicle (90% of the pictures in the brochure, and even at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, show the 4 door version with half doors), yet they won't even take an order for one. Nor will they take an order for the new My Gig Navigation system. How frustrating. On the bright side, I guess I have a little longer to ponder my decision. I suppose one option is buying both the full and half doors from the dealer when I order the vehicle. Does anyone have any idea how much a manufacture half door goes for (based on what they cost for 06 models or earlier of course)?
    I had planned on purchasing the half doors when I got my jeep and was told by my dealer's parts department that right now I could only order the front doors. I asked why and was told the front on both the two and four door models are the same however the factory can not keep up with demand on the rear doors. All new rear doors are going on new jeeps. He said he has seen this type of shortage before with other vehicles and all I had to do was wait a couple of months (which will still be too cool for going with no top or a safari top and half doors except the warmest part of the day) and they should be an item he can get in a week. He could not tell me a price and personally knowing the difference in what a dealer charges and aftermarket parts are I might wait and see how long it takes to get them aftermarket.
    BTW I took my sunroof off yesterday afternoon and while it was chilly (60) the sun was out and I could not stand it. If I was not convinced before now that going ahead and buying my jeep now then adding aftermarket options as I can I am now.
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    If I was not convinced before now that going ahead and buying my jeep now then adding aftermarket options as I can I am now.

OUCH ! That last sentence gave me a headache ! :cry:
    Sometimes I think faster than I type and leave parts out. It should have read: If I was not convinced before now that going ahead and buying my jeep now and then adding aftermarket options was a good idea I am now. That said I have a little bit of a cold this morning from riding around with the sunroof off on Friday or maybe it was working outside yesterday when temps did not get out of the 40's. I am telling my wife it is because of yesterday she blames it on the jeep ride. :sick:
  • ben321ben321 Member Posts: 2
    Get ready for a potentially long wait. I ordered the 07 4-Door Rubicon on Aug 15. After many follow up calls, around the first week in December, I also found out that the manuf assigned my car a VIN. After 2 more months I finally got the call that the car will be here on Feb 12th (almost 6 months from the day it was ordered). I suspect by now they have reached production capacity and all the initial manufacturing issues have been worked out - and you won't have to wait as long as I did. But, either way I'm sure it will be worth the wait (I'll let you know next week when/if it arrives) Good luck.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I suspect by now they have reached production capacity and all the initial manufacturing issues have been worked out

Not quite:

(SHG) Electronic front sway bar w/o Rubicon model has a Job #1 of 2/15/07

(DSH) Locker rear axle has a Job #1 of 2/15/07

(GWK) Sunrider soft top with 2-Door has a Job #1 of 3/19/07

The estimated lead time is 12 - 14 weeks at the moment, though this could change at any time of course.
    EEK ! And I thought 9 weeks was long ! I hope that somebody (DEALER ? ) makes your LONG wait up to you somehow .But (when the wait is over) and it's summer time, and the top is off , WHO CARES ! ;)
    Here are some more photos of winter here in WNY...and what happens if you slack off in snow removal.
    http://www.carspace.com/giantsin06/?50@@.59f1a27b :sick:
  • ben321ben321 Member Posts: 2
    Please pardon the newcomer for asking what may be an obvious question - but I'm expecting delivery of my new 07 Unlim Rub 4-door next week (my first Jeep). I'll be using the jeep for 75% local urban commuting, etc.(sorry but I have to earn a living), 20% long weekend travel to and around mountain house with fairly rugged access and on-property trails, 5% (more hopefully) increasingly rugged 4x4 weekend get-away trips (rubicon trail, etc.)
    My question - what are the obvious modification that you would do in order to be 'trail ready.' Here is my list from my "jeep friend" - but I welcome comments and suggestions:
    (1) front bumper (Warn)
    (2) rear bumper (Warn, but at least 2 months until its ready)
    (3) Air intake system (Airaid or AEM - could someone tell me why this is not a factory spec if it is such an "obvious" upgrade to hp and torque?)
    (4) winch (Warn 8k lbs - is this enough?)
    (5) lights- side mirror mounted (I guess you can never have enough light)
    I suspect somewhere in the future there may be a lift kit, but think I need to learn more about the jeep first and how I'm using it before making this commitment. Thoughts?
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Yesterday a two door X arrived at my local dealer and I had a chance to look at it up close. My initial impressions include:

1) The interior is far more comfortable and spacious than that of my 2004 X, with one exception. That is the height from the seat to the roll bar. Even with the seat height adjuster all the way down, I hit my head on the bar every time I tried entering the vehicle. This never happens in my '04.

2) The front fenders are a LOT of plastic compared to only the previous lips. The temperature was below zero yesterday and I did a bit of pushing and tugging on the fenders to get a feel for their durability. Although nothing seemed ready to break, there was not much flex in them. Also not sure what the vehicle would look like when they begin to fade. I touch mine up a couple of times a year, but these would need a gallon of anti-fade and a 4" brush.

3) There does not seem to be availability of deep tinted rear and rear side windows on soft top only models this year.

Overall, this may be a better vehicle and value than the previous version, but the lowered toll bar clearance may be fatal flaw for me. Darn.
    1&2, I'd personally avoid Warn bumpers. Their open box design isn't as strong as the box designed versions out there. That is why I run a Jeeperman, which now makes bumpers for the JK (2007).

3, it's not standard, esp for an offroad vehicle because (1) that means they don't make $$ replacing or selling replacements and (2) they tend to let more dirt and junk into the air intake, which is bad for an engine. Offroad vehicles will (generally) see more offroad use.

4, 8k is okay, but 9k would be better. You never want to put a full strain on your winch if you can avoid it, and that 9k is just some extra breathing room.

5, Personal preference here. I have driving lights instead of fogs on the bumper, but I'm changing that to fogs on the bumper, driving lights on the hoop over the winch, and lights on the windshield frame (which cannot be used in regular traffic). Hella, PIAA, IPF, Warn all make great lights for the Jeep.

Enjoy your new JK. Keep in mind you'll pay more for JK parts than us TJ guys pay for parts since the TJ has been out since 96 as a 97 model year.

-Paul
    "The temperature was below zero yesterday and I did a bit of pushing and tugging on the fenders to get a feel for their durability. Although nothing seemed ready to break, there was not much flex in them. "

At below zero temps, I doubt anything is gonna flex much. Try your TJ flares and see how THEY handle the same temps. :)

-Paul
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    -Paul

Your point is well taken. But I guess my frame of reference is that IF the plastic fender lips broke off my 2004 (regardless of temperature) I would still have fenders. Have you had a chance to personally look at the new design. There is a lot more plastic hanging there than I have ever seen on a vehicle and more than the printed literature portrays.
    I suspect somewhere in the future there may be a lift kit, but think I need to learn more about the jeep first and how I'm using it before making this commitment.

At the risk of sounding boring, I'd learn more about your new Jeep in its standard form before committing to any modifications such as those you listed.

For one thing, it'll give you a baseline for comparison as you make changes later. For another, there's a lot more satisfaction to be had by developing the skills to learn the limits of your vehicle in its standard specification before adding to its capabilities. Until you learn the basic techniques you won't benefit too much from the add-ons. Just like a telescopic sight won't help much until you've learned the basics of breathing properly, squeezing the trigger, and using standard iron sights.

If you really want to treat your new ride to a few presents, why not look at some of the skid plates and undercarriage protection that's out there.

I'm sure the anticipation is making you antsy (in a good way), so now would be a good time to start sending off for the many, many catalogs of Jeep goodies available. Do your research and hold off from any big decisions for a while.

For what it's worth, I'd echo erickpl's opinions on your list, especially in regard to an alternate air filter.
    Yeah, I've seen the fenders and understand where you're coming from. I've also seen what Poison Spyder Customs is offering in the way of flat/tube fenders. :) THAT is the way I'd go on the JK. :)

-Paul
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I agree about that roll bar. It is so close to my head. I'm fearful that hitting a certain bump at a certain speed will result in an impact on the head.
    Check out http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legends/heritage/index.html
    for pictures and comments on 65 years of Willys and Jeep . :D
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    does anybody know the towing limits on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited equipped with an Automatic transmission? is it the same as the manual? (3500lbs).

Thanks
    According to what I know which corosponds with the info at jeep.com it depends more upon your rear end gear ratio than transmission with auto and manual being the same. Now despite what the ability is of any vehicle you should have things like a transmission cooler if you are going to tow in the upper limits of your ability or for long distances at any weight.
    At 998 miles driven (252 on this tank) I'm getting 15.3 mpg. Less than advertised...but when it's summet time and the top is off...YOU KNOW WHAT ! :P
  • wyoforesterwyoforester Member Posts: 25
    We drove the 4 dr Wrangler Sahara hardtop on and off pavement. It was o.k., but overall not that impressive. It was/felt/drove 'big' compared to our 2 dr Unlimited we were looking to trade in. The 'new' engine, as others have mentioned, really,really needs more power. For the money DC is demanding, we expected more. After 5 Jeeps, perhaps our needs/wants have evolved. We paid $3,000 less and got a much quicker, more flexible vehicle for our needs here in WY, a '7 Xterra Off Road. Whereas, our 2 dr. Unlimited was fun off road, the X is fun on and off road.
    Hello. Will some kind soul please remind me how to add photos ? Been there , done that...promptly forgot ! :sick: Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The easiest way is to upload them to your CarSpace page with the Add Photos link under one of your Albums (or create a new album).

Then when you click on one of your photos, a box will flop up with the html code you need to paste here to either link to your photo or put a photo in a post.

Here's the help faq about uploading photos to your CarSpace page.
  • toostoos Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know what percentage of 4-DR UNLIMITEDs are sold with manual? I also would like to know if anyone has data on the reliability of the 42RFE auto transmission.

I am interested in the 4-DR Sahara Unlimited, but cannot decide between the 6-speed manual and the 4-speed auto. I test drove both and think the auto makes more sense for me, but I want reliability and I have no idea how the auto compares to the manual in cost of ownership/reliability. I usually drive my vehicles up to 200k. Just lost my JGC to a deer and the Wrangler Unlimited 4-DR seemed a good replacement choice.
    Our salesman (EMPHASIS ON SALESMAN) said they sell "...far more automatics..." . With this new Jeep the old adage holds true : After a short few days (the stick) becomes automatic . I sometimes forget that there are SIX gears however ! :surprise:
  • toostoos Member Posts: 12
    The salesman I spoke with said the same thing, more automatics than manuals in the 4-DR. Last year he said it was more 6-speed manual. I like manuals, but I drive through Northern Virginia traffic (like driving thru downtown Bangkok, constant stop and go). I guess the reliability of the 42RFE auto is my biggest worry. I can't seem to find much about reliability by Googling it. If it weren't for the traffic, I'd go with a manual, but with the traffic the auto wins, unless there are reliability issues.
    This reply is for the person who asked about the Rubicon appearing unbalanced when it is NOT full of gas. Sorry, I clicked out of the site and lost your name .
    Anyhow , I'm a fat guy and I notice no imbalance . :confuse: Can't imagine what information your salesman has that would prompt him to tell you that . Remember: They want to sell you cars , get you out the door , and never see you until you want to buy again. Even if there are great humanitarian-salesman out there , it's best to be skeptical and act like they're all trying to screw you (us). ;)
  • camp26camp26 Member Posts: 7
    Any of you owners of the 07 notice a slight sagging of the left rear sagging? Really bugs me. The dealer told me that once you put a full tank of gas in it will level out since the fuel tank is situated on the right side. I don't want to have to have a full tank of gas for my jeep to look leveled. especially when i'm sitting on the side that is sagging.
  • seamigsseamigs Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering an 07 Unlimited Sahara 4WD and have a few questions for those who have one (I've never owned a Jeep before):

Sunrider Top - Easy to use and flip back? Easy to take off and store the whole soft top? How's the noise on the highway with the soft top?

Windows - With a soft top, is it easy to scrape off ice? How's the visibility in wintry conditions? Defrost work on plastic?

Manual - I hear there's no space for your left foot to rest when it's off the clutch. How uncomfortable is it?

Cloth - Is the premium cloth what it's cracked up to be? I have a dog... is dog hair easy to come off? Does it hold smell?

Kayak - Anyone using a kayak rack? Wondering how it's working for you.

THANK YOU! :)
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Based on the title of this thread I'm not sure all new owners read this, but I know there are a few on this board that could help 2007 Jeep Wrangler
    1. I've heard mixed reviews on the Sunrider top. It was available on the previous TJ's. Some loved it - some hated it.
    2. Soft windows cannot be scraped unless you love scratches or tears. You can frequently get inside and kinda tap-tap-tap on the windows from the inside to get stuff off them, including ice. But it works better once they've warmed up a bit.
    3. Don't know.
    4. If it is like the TJ's cloth, should be no problems to clean. Most cloth will hold smell over time. Just a question as to how you maintain it (and the dog) :)
    5. Don't know.

-Paul
    Thanks, Steve , :D for the tutorial. Just finished Seventh Tank of gas : 17.9 MPG . :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, now you need to start taking photos of the odometer rolling over. I can envision a whole album of shots like 1,000, 2,000, 10,000, 20,000 .... :shades:
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I've never been able to figure out how the axle ratio affects mileage or acceleration - or if it does. My Jeep Cherokees have always included factory installed tow packages but my days of serious towing are over (sold the boat!)

If I get the tow package from the factory I get a 4.10 axle ratio, otherwise it's an option. The standard is 3.21.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm seriously considering the 4 door Wrangler (Sahara). Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There are really two ratios that affect mileage and acceleration: the axle ratio and the transmission gear ratio.

Generally, to get better mileage you want the engine to run slower (RPMs) which requires higher gear ratios. Acceleration requires horsepower and you achieve that with greater RPMs.

tidester, host
    Arrrrg.....................RPMs!!!!!????? :sick:

RPMs are in good company with VIN numbers and ATM machines. I usually pick on fellow posters for SHOUTING, but hosts in automotive forums really SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!! (irrational rant over).

There, I feel better now. :shades:
    Thanks (I think). Let me re-state my question. If I get a 4-door Wrangler with 6-speed manual what difference will there be between the 4.10 and 3.21 axle ratios. Axle ratio is the only variable. So there are two questions:

1. Which axle ratio will give me the better gas mileage?
    2. Which axle ratio will give me the better acceleration?

BTW - closely related to this - does anyone know which axle ratio the Jeep Wrangler was equipped with that was featured in the article that claimed 0-60 in 9.7 seconds? (Article referenced in previous posting.)
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    The lower ratio (3.21) will give you better mileage, the higher one better off-the-line acceleration.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I usually pick on fellow posters for SHOUTING, but hosts in automotive forums really SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

i'm sorry mac i will try my best not to use uppercase letters since you have overpunctuated your message i hereby resolve to balance the situation no longer will i use punctuation marks they too can be an annoyance thanks for your input there i feel better too

tidester host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    :) OK, I think we've equalized the uppercase and punctuation situation.

Now, if we can just deal with the occasional superfluous plural? :P
  • ghostryderghostryder Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I just bought an 07 wrangler x and it dont sag at all.You must have a spring problem,Let the dealer check it out.
    Thanks, goducks1, for the reply on axle ratio. I went by the Jeep dealer today. I'll go back for a test drive but I'm pretty sure there's a Wrangler in my near term future. I'm inclined to go with the 4.10 and hitch. This is my run around car. I'll be doing very little highway driving and mileage is not a major concern.

Does anyone know when the half doors and top will be available? The salesman couldn't say. I'd swap doors and tops every spring and fall.

Has anyone ordered a Wrangler from the factory? What's the wait time?
    Hello. I waited 9 weeks for my half doors. They initially said 6 weeks .This was back in November .
This discussion has been closed.