Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• har57har57 Member Posts: 6
    I'm scared, I want a wrangler 4 door unlimited. But have read about the leaking of the hardtop. Has yours gotten any better? This would be my first wrangler. I own a Liberty now, but when I brought that I really wanted a wrangler, but there was just know room. Are you sorry you got it?
  • jeepunlimitedjeepunlimited Member Posts: 9
    I wouldn't be scared. I re-adjusted the top and it sealed fine then. It just takes some getting used to when you first get it and take the top off..there are specific directions in the owners manual as to which side you take off first and which side you put back on first. It pays to read that part. Make sure all your weather stripping seams line up nice and tight and then it works. I took my top off the first time without reading the directions in the manual and that's when it leaked. It only leaked in tiny spots under very high pressure such as in a car wash. I haven't had any issues lately. I was most disappointed with my running boards, they cracked and Chrysler REFUSES to warranty them. So, I bought the stainless steel aftermarket running boards. See if your dealer would be willing to switch them as part of the deal. The stock plastic running boards are not very well made. I went to a Jeep Jamboree and saw them get demolished with the littlest bump. I didn't even take mine off road and it cracked on the seam. Otherwise..I LOVE my Jeep 4 door. It rides nice, has good gas mileage (20MPG city, 23MPG highway). It's not a cadillac, it's a Jeep, but much more refined. I think you'd like it. Test drive one for a day first. Good luck. :)
    Thanks, now to check the headrest I've read about and I'll definitly ask about those steel running boards.
    Thanks again for your help.
    I don't have any issues with the headrests. The seats have many different settings to help you adjust for comfort. I'm short and it even has a lever on the side of the seat to raise the seat up..very cool. The seats are very comfortable to me. I drove 10 hours up to Maine in my Jeep last month and had no problems with comfort at all.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    I'm glad yours does not leak.........Anyway, I read the instructions, the Jeep technician I think knows how to install the tops correctly.....It's a nationwide problem with the freedom tops leaking, know fix at this time....I've had a rental for 1 week, the dealer is now going to replace my vehicle with a new 1....I have an appointment today....Good luck with all those with the freedom top....What a disaster....
  • carnut444carnut444 Member Posts: 27
    I am considering buying a 2008 Wrangler X but am very hesitant now that I have read numerous complaints about the 'Freedom' top leaking. I have not read all the comments in the message boards but this reminds me of the camaro/firebird removable hardtops of yesteryear and their leaking problems. This is supposed to be the 'HOT' vehicle right now and possibly Chrysler doesn't have the time to fix it.

I also heard rumors that top Chrysler execs are involved in this problem. No way am I going to buy in to this potential problem. Can someone sum this up for me? Is it being resolved? I've got to hear it from the customers out there - won't ask a dealer.
    I just got my 2008 jeep wrangler unlimited x last monday 10/29 with the freedom top. After reading this thread and other info online, I decided to take my chances. Well last nite was the first time it rained and it was a good steady rain. It did not leak. So now I'll wait and see what happens in a good heavy downpour. And of course this winter when it snow's I'll be out there keeping the roof clear of snow. I do hope I won't reqret getting it. Good Luck
    For now I do love it!
    Question: Was the Wrangler being driven in the rain, or just parked overnite in the rain?
    Sorry, I didn't congratulate you on the purchase on your Wrangler Unlimited.. Hope everything works out well. Keep us posted.
    Just parked overnite. Drove it in the rain this morning but it was very light rain.
    Thanks
  • bfassettbfassett Member Posts: 17
    Service bulletin on "chirping" available. Dealer fixed and seems fine. They also seemed to make brakes much better. Caliper and alignment issues
    I haven't had an issue since that one time. I've been taking mine through high pressure automatic carwashes and we've had some serious downpours and not a leak. I guess it was my own mistake that lead to the leak. I haven't had any since that one time I had the leak and I read the manual and replaced the top the correct way. Everyone that sees my Jeep tells me they love the looks of it!! Always getting compliments on it. I still Love my Jeep.0lllllll0....only in a Jeep!
    Forgot to mention that I never had an issue with my hardtop until I removed it and replaced the top. It didn't just start to leak. It only started to leak after I had removed all the panels and had re-installed them, obviously without reading the manual first. After reading the manual, I tried again to install them the correct way and then it sealed. I just make sure all the weather stripping around the edge isn't crimped or bent in the wrong way and then set the panels according to the directions and I haven't had any issues since. I would purchase another Jeep with the hardtop without hesitation. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to trade my 2006 Roush Mustang in on a '08 Jeep Rubicon. 0lllllll0...only in a Jeep!
  • redrock4redrock4 Member Posts: 12
    Awesome! I am glad they took care of you finally.....
    I too experienced a small leak from the driver side front corner of the freedom top after removing and re installing them the first time. After a careful step by step reinstall I have not had a problem unless high pressure water is directed at the corners. Let's all remember this is a Jeep after all and the elements come with it. If the thought of getting the interior wet is unacceptable maybe the Liberty was the right choice. But then again; getting caught in the rain with the top and doors off is why you have drain plugs in the floor. Have fun out there and get a real Jeep:-)
    Sorry! I should have read all the new posts before replying. I guess you're not such a girly man after all. Congratulations on your purchase. The Jeep that we have all paid good money for is not perfect. However, if you love jeeps this is the best yet. Enjoy the new ride and don't forget to wave:-)
  • sembasemba Member Posts: 5
    Anyone else having that annoying rattle in the lower "B Pillars"? It's down low, and I can't find it. Almost as though it is inside the pillar itself....god forbid. I'm working on locating it but it's hard to drive and lay on the floor to listen. The dealership gave a very helpful "Hmmm", haven't heard of anything from chrysler yet, but that was no surprise. Would appreciate any feedback you have on this as my noise in quite loud.
    I found the noise today. It is the striker assembly that holds the front door closed. The striker itself (located on the pillar(the silver thingy)) was adjusted at an angle and hitting the latch assembly when going over bumps. What I did to find it was take 1/4 piece of sponge, fold it over the striker, and close the door on it nice and snug. The noise vanished. So I pulled it back out and the noise returned. Now I will see if I can center the striker within the latch assy. and eliminate the noise all together. I know someone on here described the same noise, maybe they will find this and enjoy a rattle free ride too. :)
  • huskycountryhuskycountry Member Posts: 13
    I have a rattle also. I have a 2007 Sahara Unlimited four door, and when I go over bumps/rough road I have this rattle. Sounds like its coming somewhere between the two left hand doors. Now if you could explain to me in easy to understand words (lol) where excatly you had the rattle. OK OK I'm a girl so, sorry but what the heck is the :pillar (the silver thingy)??? Sounds like something I would come up with! Any help in locating this annoying sound would be greatly appricated! It needs to be gone, NOW!
    O.K., this is easy. Open the drivers door and look along the edge of the door (opposite of the door hinges). You will see a hole, sort of a < looking thing. That is the latch assembly. This is what allows your door to open when you push the door handle button, and stay closed when shut. If you start to close the door slowly and watch where the assembly get's close to the body you will see it lining up with a silver hook like structure. This silver hook like thing is the striker.This piece is adjustable and can be moved up, down, left, right, and everywhere in between to a small degree. If you get inside and watch closely, the striker should be dead center of the opening on the door. IF it is not, like mine, you will get this noise from the latch assembly bouncing on the striker every time you hit a bump. To adjust it can be tricky, so if your not mechanically inclined, I would take it to the dealer. If that is too far away, a decent body shop can do it easily, they do this sort of adjusting all the time, as where my experience comes from. If you need further help, email me at creativewun@hotmail.com, I can try and help more. I have the same Jeep, all black and love it. :shades:
  • aball69aball69 Member Posts: 2
    yeppers mine rattles too! I kept accusing my boyfriend of not putting the doors back on right...haha :)
    If you live in the Gastonia/ Belmont North Carolina area then you can go to the chevy dealership(McKenny) they are in Belmont they are the best!!!
    I love my four door and everyone looks at it.....I get a lot of attention!!!!
    My biggest complaint is that the head rests are so hard and the backseat is very uncomfortable.(((glad I don't have to ride back there)))
    check out my pics @ aball69@aol.com
    Love the black too!!!! But most of all I love my lift kit and my Nitto tires.....haha....who says girls can't have cool toys!
    Bonnie">link title
  • huskycountryhuskycountry Member Posts: 13
    Thanks so much will check that out in the morning. Boy if its that easy that would be great, nothing worse then taking it back to the dealer 10 times and they start to look at me like I'm crazy! Will let you know!
  • pdwpdw Member Posts: 5
    There is a design issue with the 2008 Jeep Wranglers (Rubicon) - the top leaks at the center of the windshield. My son's Jeep has been in the dealership service center at least 5-6 times for this issue (and he has only owned it for a month) and no repair has been made yet. The seals have even been replaced. We live in a rainy part of the country and the problem is not limited to just a few Jeeps - it's a huge defect in the design. The leak might get stopped briefly but as soon as the top is taken off and replaced, it's back again! I have read on another board that several owners have already had their Jeeps purchased back from the manufacturer. I would definitely think seriously about buying one right now until the problem can be corrected.
  • steve170steve170 Member Posts: 1
    I went looking today. Two 4 door Saharas were sitting side by side. They had the same tires, the same rims, both had trailer towing packages, hard tops, same axle ratios.. One was noticeably higher (taller) than the other. More clearance between the tire and body. What gives??
  • frossfross Member Posts: 1
    I have had nothing but leak problems and now Chrysler won't make good on a replacement. Worse than the top leaking - mine also leaks through the dash and firewall/cowl. This has led to electrical problems, mold, and probably compromised the safety of my family if the firewall is allowing water in during a rain storm- suppose it will let flames through in a fire. I would not advise purchasing the 4-door Wrangler until Chrysler either fixes it or takes responsibility for the problem.
  • 92sahara92sahara Member Posts: 3
    Hello, out there. I just bought my first Jeep wrangler. It's a 1992 Sahara. I'm looking for some parts for it, and Wow are they expensive. I need fenders. All the ones I've come across so far are all cut up. I guess to make room for bigger tires. Anyhoo, If anyone knows of some better places to search, I would greatly appreciate it. like I said I'm new at this and I have no problem with using someone elses spare parts for the right price and quality. So HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you. :( :confuse:
    It's me again. My initial fix seemed good for a while, then the noise returned. So I am trying something different. I located some clear plastic hose, cut it to fit the edge of the striker, then cut it lengthwise so I could slide it over the edge of the striker. Glued it in place, and the rattle is completely gone. Now, we will see if the glue will hold (i used superglue). If this works, the problem is solved until Chrysler fixes the problem.........if they ever acknowledge there is a problem. The plastic tubing I used is from a hospital suction device, not too thick, and still rubbery feeling too (unused of course). The tubing is about 1/4 inch in diameter. Hopefully I havent glued my front doors shut tonight : ) I'll give it a while, if it worked I'll let Y'all know. The downside to this is that the doors are a little harder to close (not too bad), but beats the heck out of that annoying as hell rattling. :blush:
  • 92sahara92sahara Member Posts: 3
    Well it snowed today and guess what? I rolled my sahara over onto it's side. what a ride. and I just bought it saturday. Just wanted to vent it out. Crazy ride. It wouldn't go into wheel drive, so I had to drive in 2 wheel and it didn't work out too well. Thanks for listening. :cry:
  • blueing69blueing69 Member Posts: 3
    Hi There,
    I was just wondering if you ever received your diesel wrangler. It&#146;s Feb 08 and I doubt that there is any possibility to get a wrangler unlimited diesel here in the US. Would be great to know if your dealer found a way to bring this one on the market. :)
    Thanks.
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    No luck at all. I have found an importer who specializes in old Land Rovers who will have one shipped in in pieces. I don't know if it is worth it. All this buy out of Chrysler has thrown a wrench in the wheels.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    I had mine in a driving rain and through a car wash and not a drop. As was said earlier, you have to read the manual and do exactly as it says. I latch the front first and then go clockwise with the latches and then the spin bolts last by the speakers. Never a leak.
  • bsfman97bsfman97 Member Posts: 2
    Ive put 2000 miles on my new jeep and theyve had to replace the engine,an alternator and its currently in the shop getting a new power steering pump.Oh yea in the last 400 miles its thrown the fan belt off 4 times which causes the power steering fluid to spray all over the engine compartment.I havent even taken it 4 wheeling yet as I dont think it can handle it.Besides I cant afford to have a tow truck follow me.What a piece of junk,these are definitly not real jeeps.I wouldnt recommend buying one unless your willing to spend the money to put a different motor in it.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Of alll the cars on the planet, Consumer Reports has rated the Wrangler Unlimited as the worst car made. They put 11 vehicles on the list, and the Unlimited was ranked a whopping #1.....it is the most troublesome car currently made.

I feel like a dodged a bullit as I nearly bought one. Even if the article is not accurate, this is a death sentence.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Even if the article is not accurate, this is a death sentence.

I don't think so. Everyone but CR seems to know that the Wrangler is in a league of its own and simply cannot be compared with ordinary passenger vehicles. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Put a 2.5" Teraflex Suspension lift in, MT 35" Tires and AEV Pintler rims. Had it aligned and all is well......until.....I now have what appears to be a rather loose (what I will call) a cross member. The bar goes between both front wheels with ball joints on either end. I know it is supposed to move, but this is really easy to move and clunks back and forth. All bolts are tight. Is this bar supposed to be real easy to move? There are no grease fitting either. I am confused as to what the problem is. Clunks over small bumbs and fairly sharp turns and is quite loud. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but this has got me. I am worried about something breaking and damaging something really bad. HELP!
  • killerdanakillerdana Member Posts: 1
    I can not believe the bashing going on by the "experts" regarding the wrangler unlimited. My wife and I have owned a number of lux SUVs and last summer purchased two unlimiteds and love every thing about the vehicles. This is our first jeeps and think they are great to drive around town and on the freeway. I travel for work and sometimes drive 250 miles in a day and feel very comfortable during the trip. Two friends of ours also purchased unlimiteds and are just as thrilled with the vehicle as we are. That is four very satisfied Jeep owners. All I can say is go drive the vehicle yourself and make up your own mind. You may also wonder what the heck the experts were thinking in their reviews.
  • cowsnmorecowsnmore Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any issues with their steering stabilizer? I have had mine replaced at 19,000 miles and 400 miles later, the shimmy is back. When I checked with the dealer, they said there is no recall for this and that noone else is seeing the problem.
  • cosmo11cosmo11 Member Posts: 1
    2007 4dr going to dealer Mon. for severe shaking on highway. Comes on suddenly after just going over mild dips/bumps on highway at 40+ mph. Any ideas or same issue?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Summer is approaching and I usually go top down and doors off from start to finish. Was thinking about buying a basic bikini top to shield the front seats and dash. Was about to click "add to cart" when I noticed they all need windshield channels or something. Doesn't seem like a huge deal, but are there any bikini tops that you can just throw on as is? Without the channel? Thanks.

P.S. How many people do you think buy the bikini tops and get them home only to discover "aw crap!" I need another part??

:shades:
    Death Wobble returns!!! Search back thru this discussion and you'll find *years* of this problem. A lot of people say it is only common to altered, customized vehicles. But a bunch of us were having trouble with very stock Jeeps. I can't tell you if I have found the root cause or just a bandaid cure, but either way this has "solved" the problem for me: an upgraded steering stabilizer.

I replaced the factory one with another OEM part while under warranty. That did the job for a while, but then it too began to fail. So when warranty expired, I paid out of pocket (80 bucks or so) for a Rancho steering stabilizer. Guys at the Jeep dealership put it in for me while doing basic service. Not a single shake or wobble since. Good luck.
    See my response to Cosmo11.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    Yes, I had that problem on my 2005 Unlimited as well... took them four times to fix it. They ended up installing a heavy duty stabizer and the problem finally stoped... been working fine now for about a year.
    We've always had older CJ's and other Jeep Wranglers, but I can honestly say I LOVE my new Jeep Sahara Unlimited!! What a fun and comfortable ride. Now, I know some of you out there wonder..does she know the difference??? Yes..I have a 2004 Corvette a 2005 Chevy Avalanche, a 2006 Roush Mustang..and I've owned Caddys and other luxurious cars. This is my FAVORITE!! It's fun and I've added cool aftermarket items to add the WOW factor. I took it on a Jeep Jamboree last fall and it did excellent STOCK! How cool was that? I've had no major issues. The hard top leaked a bit at first, but not anymore. It gets 20 MPG and that to me is fantastic for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I could go on and on, but bottom line, it's a matter of opinion. You couldn't pay me to buy one of those FJ's...not for ANYTHING!! There are so many people I've been reading from that go on and on about the FJ's..so, variety makes the world go round. My $42,000.00 Avalanche has given me far more problems so far. My $51,000.00 Corvette had a leak coming from the weather strip by the passenger window. I think any model car can have issues. Some are made right and some come from the factory with issues..what car maker out there has a 100% perfect record on any of their makes of cars?? Give the Jeep a break here and stop trying to catagorize it with all those luxury vehicles out there. It is what it is...a reasonably priced vehicle that you can add tons of add ons to and make it your off road dream machine or just an awesome looking everday driver. 0lllllll0 It's a Jeep thing....you wouldn't understand.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    It is what it is...a reasonably priced vehicle that you can add tons of add ons to and make it your off road dream machine or just an awesome looking everday driver. 0lllllll0 It's a Jeep thing....you wouldn't understand.

Agreed. The Wrangler is almost certainly the only US-built vehicle I will ever own.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stevejeep11stevejeep11 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody experienced a rattle coming from the undercarriage at low RPM's? I have a 2008 Sahara Unlimited and started hearing noises when driving it off the lot. It's got only 1000 miles on it. Any advice would be helpful
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    I've had a rattle like thing in my 07 Rubicon. At 22,000 miles , I'd long ago forgotten it....until you reminded me. ;)
  • 074drshimmy074drshimmy Member Posts: 3
    My 07 4door jeep wrangler has Death Wobble, and dealer is going to replace it with an after market steering stablilizer. Jeep doesn't have a replacement yet. they are saying they have only a few problems with this. I had to get mad before they would fix it because they couldn't duplcate it at the shop :mad:
  • cowsnmorecowsnmore Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2007 wrangler back to the dealer to have the steering stabilizer twice, so far. Now they tell me my tires are bad and will need to be replaced because they will cause the shaking to come back. I say the stabilizer is probably what caused by tires to go bad, not the other way around.
  • 074drshimmy074drshimmy Member Posts: 3
    I am getting my jeep back tomorrow with a new steering stablizer. You should call jeep because I did and they replaced the stablilizer with no problems. I was told that they have others(Jeeps) in the area with the same problem and they are fixing them also. You have to get mad!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.