Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

67 Ford Galaxy 500 GT ????

notnutsnotnuts Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Ford
Hello,

Thought someone may know the answer to this question.

I was in California last week and I came across a 1967 Ford Galaxy 500 GT. It was a 2 door hard top with a 390 and a 4 speed transmission. It also had a air induction that had the tubes coming from where the lower head light should be then up to the air cleaner. The person selling the car said it was all original (even the air induction) except for the paint and wheels. I have looked all over the internet and could not find one that was a GT.
Have you ever seen a Ford Galaxy 500GT??????
Is it extremely rare or a fake ???
Thanks

Dan

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I've never heard of a Galaxie GT. Sounds like someone got a Fairlane GT badge and stuck it on a larger car. I've never heard of that induction on a Galaxie either, not even on the 427 models. Could be some kind of period modification too, by a dealer or tuner or owner.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,671
    of the Galaxie back then called the XL, or the 7-Litre, or something like that?

That kind of air induction was used in some Fairlanes around 1963-64, which were dragstrip cars and called Thunderbolts. And I think the treatment might have been applied to some 1961-64 era Galaxies. Never seen a later model set up that way, though.
    The XL was the upper trim package...not always performance, but could be. Ford's "SS". The 7-litre was a 428, I think meant to be the luxury-sport model of such a big car.

A Fairlane Thunderbolt should be worth some very decent money these days. Maybe someone did up a Galaxie in the same style...but I would have thought they'd go past a 390.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think it's a fake. The only GT was the Fairlane in 1967, which evolved into the Torino GT and the Cobra.

Also never saw that air cleaner system, which would be pretty dumb if you think about driving through puddles.

Oddly enough, there were a small number of rare Fairlanes with the formidable 427 engine but they weren't called GTs!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And it must look pretty tacky too!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Hi Craig,

Any recent encounters with motorcycle cops around I 90?
  • captservisscaptserviss Member Posts: 3
    I'm new, so bare with me. I need to know if anyone has info about '95 T-bird V8 auto which downshifts sometimes for no reason. My mechanic can't solve it. He's replaced Air Mass sensor, wiring harness and two solenoides in tranny. Anyone know where I can get a manual which shows the electric ops of this tranny? Clymers? Thanks...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi and Welcome.

I think you're in the wrong topic here. This is the Classic Car Board and the topic is '67 Fords.

However, you might find this "read only" topic interesting, as it talks about your exact transmission.

arlason68, "96 ford t-bird transmission" #1, 5 Jun 2003 9:59 am

Hope this helps. If not, e-mail me and I'll try to direct you elsewhere on the site.

best

MrShiftright
    Host
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not personally, but there is no shortage of them!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    F1 Champion Jim Clark owned a 7-Litre Ford at the time of his death in '67. He and Gurney raced 427 Galaxies in British sedan races (vs. Mini-Coopers, Jags and the like). The racing 427s may have had the SOHC version under their hoods.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• sprint260v8sprint260v8 Member Posts: 2
    Im pretty sure theres no such thing as a GT Galaxy. Theres a Galaxy 500 and a galaxy 500XL. If you still need help call (800) 252-7427 this number is refering to dearborn classics im sure they can help you.
  • mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53
    Just to clarify, there WAS a Galaxie XL Gt, I do know that they were produced in 1968 and 1969. It was an upgraded suspension, stripes and the all important rim-blow steering wheel. In 69 the base engine was a 390 in the gt although I have only seen them with 429s. I really do not think that the GT existed in any other years.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Are you sure your not thinking of a Torino?
  • mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53
    Yes, I am sure, had a 69 for a while and miss it. I have seen at least one 68 GT, though not recently. I have seen these pop up on ebay from time to time.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Technically the XL version was called the Ford XL, but everyone knows it is just a trim level on the Galaxie.

How do I know? I own a 1967 Ford XL convertible. Never in any of my literature have I seen a 67 "GT". The line-up was:

Custom
    Custom 500
    Galaxie 500
    XL
    LTD
  • ohsnapohsnap Member Posts: 1
    Hello

Im new here. Im restoring a 67 Fairline with my dad and were trying to turn it into a gt. were ahveing a difficult time finding emblems and the rims. Anyone know were to find some?
  • 69_galaxy_conv69_galaxy_conv Member Posts: 1
    In 1969, when I ordered my XL Convertible, XL was only a trip level. It was a gimic. I was so stupid!! Gee...if you order the XL trim level...you now have a 'sports car' Ford.

I know you could order bucket seats in 1969. I ordered a bench. I also ordered the trailer towing package. I still have this car. It has a 390 cu in 2 barrel carb.. It is still stock.

I think the car the guy saw is CA was a 'hot rodded' Galaxy. It was not a production car.
  • cycarcycar Member Posts: 1
    All these guys below are right. No such thing. Caution and avoidance would be my advise. Available Galaxies in 67 were limited to:
    500XL
    LTD
    7 Litre was 68 and up

If you email me a picture I can tell you exactly what you are looking at.
    cycarinfo@gmail.com
    I think you made a typo...7 Litre came out in 66 :P
    In 1969, when I ordered my XL Convertible, XL was only a trip level. It was a gimic. I was so stupid!! Gee...if you order the XL trim level...you now have a 'sports car' Ford.

It's probably no more of a gimmick than the SS package for the Impala. All the SS did was give you special badges and trim. All the go-fast stuff, like the big engines, etc, was still optional, as was better suspension, wheels, tires, etc. I'm not sure, but I think even the bucket seats, console, and floor shift might have been separate options. And Plymouth did a similar thing with its "Sport Fury"
    I've seen 6cyl Impala SS...I don't know if I have seen a 6cyl Galaxie XL, but no doubt some were made.
    You are right Fintail. The base engine for the big Fords in 67-69 was the 240 c.i. Six cylinder = 147 h.p. '69.

Two other options were ('69) 390 c.i. & 429 c.i. V8's each with 2 bbl carbs.

Additional options included:302 c.i., 2 bbl, 220 h.p.
    428 c.i., 4 bbl, 360 h.p.
    429 c.i., 4 bbl, 360 h.p.

Our 67 Country Sedan came with a 390 2 bbl & when the warranty expired I converted it to a 4 bbl. A lot more poop to pass trucks on the hill, but when just cruising, the mileage was better than the former 2 bbl by 3.5 mpg! It was a great family fun wagon, 2 way tailgate was very handy. :)

In those days the only "GT" I recall was on the Fairlane 500 XL.
    I can't imagine having one of those big boats with a 6, especially if it had faux sport trim, which just added more weight.

Those old wagons are pretty cool cars, their image has turned full circle. In the early 90s my dad had a 1960 Country Sedan, it had a 352, I can't remember if 2bbl or 4bbl. But, it actually got respectable mileage on the highway, and it ran very well. He rescued that car from languishing beside a house, sold it on a whim and regretted it from almost the day after. My first car was a 66 Galaxie with a 390-4bbl. I've never driven a car that burned so much gas. Luckily, it could also burn rubber, so all was not lost :shades: ...but as a car for a 16 year old, it probably wasn't the best choice, it ensured I was pretty broke.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I almost replied that the XL wasn't offered with a six, and before '68 it wasn't. However, starting in '68 it came standard with the six and a 3 on the tree. What a pathetic beast that would be.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

3,769 lbs for the 240 Six to lug around is really a drag. :sick:
    Would they at least have been using a 3-speed automatic with the 240 by that time? It could be worse...I think GM was still putting 2-speed Powerglides behind its 250 6-cyl and even the 307-V-8...possibly even the 350!
    A high school friend of mine had a 69 Nova with a 307 and a 2-speed powerglide. It must have been an antiquated unit even then. I remember when you'd accelerate hard from a stop, it would stay in first until something like 50mph.
    Those 2-speed automatics used to kill Chevy's performance figures, when CR would do their big car comparison tests. I remember they tested a 1968 Impala 4-door with a 307 and 2-speed, and got 0-60 in something like 14.5 seconds! In comparison, I think the Ford with the 289 or 302 or whatever, and the Mopar with the 318 were more like 11-12 seconds, and the Catalina with its 400 a relative barn-burner at around 9.5-10. I always wondered how the Chevy would've stacked up performance-wise if they'd offered a 3-speed with the 283 and 307?

My '67 Catalina used to hold first up to about 50-55 under hard acceleration, and would chirp the tires when shifting to second. I don't think it was supposed to do that though, because ever since my mechanic went through the car and did all that work to it, it won't do it anymore. :cry:

I can get my NYer to hold first up to around 50-55 as well under hard acceleration, and then if I totally get off the gas, it seems like it almost skips 2nd gear altogether.
    I remember on my friend's Nova, the torque converter failed once, and right before this, it wouldn't shift out of 1st at all. As he had a few miles of a 55mph road to travel before getting into town, this made driving interesting. It was quite a car. The steering wheel fell off when the car was sitting in a parking lot (luckily), the headlights worked intermittently, and the horn would only work when the car was off.

He replaced this in 1997, with a 1990 Caravan, one of those odd sport models with the body cladding and wheels, etc. The tranny failed on this car 48 hours after he bought it, literally. The dealer fixed it.

I don't remember if my Galaxie had a C4 or a C6...but I guess both were solid enough units. I did little more than 0-30 sprints :shades:
  • papasam1papasam1 Member Posts: 84
    Yup the you are right the 428 started in 66, Alone with the 410.
    The 410...I forgot about that one. Was it used a lot in Mercurys?
This discussion has been closed.