Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Electrical Problems

Comments

• budd00budd00 Member Posts: 2
    I already pulled the the + off while it was running. So what do I do now?
  • bigwanebigwane Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    My rpm gauge drops out off and on and the engine idle so low it cuts off,
    once you get going for a while its ok but may cut off at anytime.
    Anyone knows if there is an idle adjustment to tweek the rpm?
  • cherisewcherisew Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 60k Explorer is acting very strange...the automatic windows do not work but the door locks do the stereo has power but wont keep the display on, play a cd ( it take and eject) and no radio, the gas gauge does not work but all the other ones do...now this happened at once. Any clues before the dealership starts taking my :lemon: car apart? And yes the battery is fine.
  • mistyandcashmistyandcash Member Posts: 1
    IM HAVING PROB WITH MY EXPLORER. IT WILL CRANK SOMETIMES AND TIMES IT WILL NOT. TODAY GAUGES STARTED BOUNCING BACK AND FORTH, THEN PARKED EXPLORER. 2 HOURS LATER WAS GOING TO RUN TO STORE AND IT WAS DEAD. WHA TIS GOING ON
  • chief632chief632 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 exploder. 1 day my windows, radio, moon roof, vanity lights and map lights quit working all at once. Checked fuses for all, and are ok. I tested the 30amp breaker under the hood its ok. Anyone have any idea what this problem could be?
  • kdarmon58kdarmon58 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with the door ajar light staying on and all doors are shut. When this happens the lock switch goes crazy and my dome lite goes on and then sometime flickers. Also a beeping noise goes off. Please help me i can't take it anymore.
    Thanks Kevin
  • mntwindanmntwindan Member Posts: 4
    Hi Kevin, I am having the exact same problem. It did it all the way to work this morning on a 40 minute drive. I stopped and checked all the doors and the rear hatch. On the way home, nothing...no problems. Let me ask you if you have a crack panel right below your rear window? Next to the Ford emblem? I am thinking maybe it is getting moisture in there at night and causing a short? I know it is a stretch but I am trying to figure out why it does it in the morning and not on the way home. I usually park outside....I am putting it in the garage tonight and will see if there are problems on the morning drive. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition, 4X4.
    I kept my SUV in the garage last night and had no problems. So, this is ongoing and it could be more than just moisture shorting it out. My wife has a 2002 Ford Explorer also and has had this same problem. She said she stopped the car in a safe place and shut if off and re-started it and had no further problems. My guess is the sensor probably just needs to be re-placed. We have both had the rear air fan problem....2x each...should be a recall item. Also have both had problems with the rear window body panel that cracked top to bottom (right underneath the window).
    My SUV is still doing the same thing with the sensor and door lock and alarm going off for no reason...not a fun ride. I will call my mechanic and try to remember to post the results.....
    I will keep posting for someone else searching for the answer...I went on some other websites and found some people had success with spraying silicone spray into the working parts of the door jamb (where it latches)....so, will try that tonight as the chime was going off for my morning 40 minute commute....can't turn the music loud enough to drowned out that annoying sound. I will post results... :mad:
  • johnac2007johnac2007 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 1995 explorer and i cant get the brakelights to work.turn signals and taillights work good though.any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks :confuse:
  • larry148larry148 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. Front counsel hotpoint not working.
    What fuse controls this?
  • makko1makko1 Member Posts: 3
    help!!!! my power windows/sunroof randomly quit working sometimes for a couple of minutes to a couple of weeks, then they work fine I've replaced the controls in the door twice still the same problems 96 eddie b
  • ashliannashliann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 XLT. One day I was driving and it started to rain. Windows wouldn't roll up and wipers wouldn't work. Eventually they started but the dome light doesnt work when the other two stop. I was told to check the wires that run through the driver's side door for a broken wires because it doesn't always do it. Any suggestions or tell me if its gonna be a huge pain doin this...
  • c_topc_top Member Posts: 1
    My windows stopped working to. Turn the power on, hold the front passenger window switch in the down position, and wiggle the rubber hose in the crack of the door. If this works there is a red wire that has broken in there and needs an extra 6 inches spliced on.
  • wetbarwetbar Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 2000 explorer sport that is not charging. I replaced the battery and the alternator. Is there something between the alt and the battery like a fuse or relay? Could it be the voltage regulator? How can I test that without purchasing a new one?

Thanks for the help.
  • 4cutouts4cutouts Member Posts: 2
    Original post.
    I bought a used 04 Explorer 4 months ago. While driving around 35MPH, the engine has cut out 3 times during the 1st month. I put the truck in neutral and started the engine back up within seconds. This has only happened while the cruise control was turned on, but only engaged 1 of the times. This only happens at low speeds. At highway speeds, with the cruise control on, the truck works fine. Left the cruise control off for two months, at low speeds, and the problem stopped.
    I had a complete diagnostic done on the truck and no sign of a problem. The EGR valve was replaced as a “best guess” as to the cause with no change. I used the cruise control, set at 35MPH, 3 days ago and the engine cut out again. My mechanic still has no sure idea of what is causing the engine failure. It sure appears that the cruise control has something to do with it.

My mechanic's new fix was to clean the throttle box, and I haven’t had a problem since.
  • thexplorerthexplorer Member Posts: 1
    Hi , I have a 98 explorer with the cd's and cassettes radio the big one you need two clips to pulled out . I already spend 150.00 to fix the display light , after it was the volume now the display again . So the question is. can I put another kind of radio (ex:pioneer or sony) or a more resent explorer radio like a 08 09. But as I can read (forum) it seems that they still have problems. And I don't talk about the HighBeam indicator (blue cluster)and I change all the bulbs who ad never work or my driver door who only open with the key.
    But I like that SUV and the next one will be a Explorer.
    Thank to you :cry:
  • mitch50mitch50 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a fuse or should I look somewhere else to solve problem?
  • misty20misty20 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Explorer is giving me trouble. It would start sometimes then it wouldn't. when it did crank the gauges would bounce for about three seconds then go back to normal I just thought it was a problem with the instrument cluster. Now it will not start at all. I replaced the battery and the starter, checked all the fuses and relays and still I'm getting nothing. It seems like it's not getting power from the ignition. I tried to cross the cylinod, the starter would turn over but the car would not crank.(yes I had the key turned on.) If the car cranked by jumping the starter I would replace the ignition switch but since it didn't crank, so I don't know what to do now. Can anyone help me with this.
  • johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    In my 2003 Ford Explorer I have a problem with the air bag warning indicator coming on.
    If I wiggle the ignition key it will go out and sometimes stay off.

Does anyone know the source of that false air bag indication?

I am not anxious to replace the ignition switch without more information than I now have.
  • geeiageeia Member Posts: 1
    My LED read out has never worked since I purchased the vehicle two years ago. Recently the door ajar light has appeared on. And the courtesy light fail to come on When I unlock doors with clicker. When I set factory security system the horn would beep one time. Now it beeps twice. Is there a interior circuit that controls these components? and where is it?
  • jasonclojasonclo Member Posts: 1
    I had my 99 explorer sport tested and everything was fine. I replaced the starter for fun. I noticed that the only time it doesn't want to start is after the headlights were on. The lights stay on for a while after the key is removed and doors are shut. Longer now than last year. I think I have it narrowed to this timer as my problem. I do not know how or where to look for this timer in order to remove it or fix it. I could not find the info in my Haynes manual. Anyone how to do this?
  • johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    I finally did give in and I replaced the ignition switch.
    Unfortunately the air bag light still comes on at times.
    A readout of the error codes shows that no error codes were set.
    I am now told that the air bag safety system is separate from the “main” computer.
    I have found that electrical grounding can cause some strange “mysteries”, so I have also checked all the electrical grounding points I could find, and cleaned and added star washers and anti corrosive to those grounding points which I did find.

I would recommend checking ground connections if you are getting "strange" electrical problems because that has cured many a "mysterious" problem for me in the past.

But in this case, No help so far.
    More fun than a rubber crutch.
  • jenwh23jenwh23 Member Posts: 1
    About 3 months ago, "Door Ajar" light came on and would randomly go on and off. When this happened, doors would lock/unlock by themselves, lights in the car would randomly go on and off. Then occasionally, car would turn off when idling. Now, there is a constant clicking sound (like the door locks being locked/unlocked) coming from inside the back left panel next to the 3rd seat. Help! Had battery tested and it tested fine. Just wondering what the heck is going on...
  • kmeiner03kmeiner03 Member Posts: 9
    Open the doors and pull back on the rubber boot that protects the wire harness in the door jamb. Look for cut wires. I had similar problems on my 03 Explorer. Found 3 cut wires in the factory harness. When those circuits start shorting together crazy stuff starts happening. I have met people with the same problem so it seems like ford had an issue in the factory while routing the wiring harness.

Hope this helps. I hope you also find a couple cut wires in the door jamb and the fix is a 15 cent splice.
  • fordownermdbfordownermdb Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the problem that caused this? My 2004 Explorer started with the bouncing gauges on Saturday...
  • butchjohnsonbutchjohnson Member Posts: 1
    Looking for help troubleshooting a charge problem with a 98 explorer. alternator was not working and we changed it out but that was to simple and didn't fix it. I checked all the fuses and also checked wires at the alternator. I have power at the orange/black wire only at all times running or not. Any suggestions???
  • amanda_nickamanda_nick Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 explorer sport. It has been giving me charging problems for the last about 6 months. Battery light would come on and go off all the time. Replaced alternator and battery. Problem went away till now. Battery light started going on and off. Checked conncetions, wires, tested battery and alternator. Alternator said it was charging between 13 and 17 volts. Replaced alternator and truck ran fine for a day. Went out and while driving the rpm gague went crazy, battery light blinked twice and check engine light came on. Battery light and check engine light went out and ABS light came on and stayed on. Pulled into my driveway and rpm gague went to 0 and ran for a few seconds then truck died. Tried to start the truck and it will crank over but wont start. I get the click click click noise when i try to start the truck. Battery was brand new July....any ideas of what might be wrong with it?
  • ebruleebrule Member Posts: 1
    my 02 sport trac is having problems with the window. they were acting weird the last month or so, some times they would work and other times they would not. now the window is down and wount go back up.. its been 14 degrees the last few days and i have a long rind to work...burrrr Some one sugested that it might be the switch it self but im stumped.. please help
  • kmeiner03kmeiner03 Member Posts: 9
    I had that problem. window stuck down. I removed the door panel and found that there was a plastic gib that rides in a steel track. the gib was jamed. so i freed it up and greased the whole track and haven't had a problem since. its been about 2 years now.
    I first checked the motor to make sure it was getting good voltage. I was getting 12vdc at the motor when I hit the window switch so thats when I started checing all the mechanical parts.
  • robert93456robert93456 Member Posts: 2
    same as everyone else
  • wojnarwojnar Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I had to charge the battery. The car started, but now the gauges, windows, radio, etc. won't work--I checked the fuses--they're ok. Any suggestions?
  • dberkebiledberkebile Member Posts: 1
    This sounds suspiciously like what happened to my wife's Explorer 2002 last night. She was driving home and all the gauges, lights, and radio went out. In about 5 minutes or so, the truck stalled with a dead battery. Apparently no warning lights on the dash came on. Going to have the alternator tested and hope that's the problem.
  • owner_2owner_2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the car totally new at a certified local agency (Yude de Canahuati – Honduras, CA). I bought it especially for long family trips (I have 4 children). The car, which I have used for a few months, presents a strange sound, I had to take a video risking our lives to prove it (video shot at 62.14 mph, you can see it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wz6aeWdr-Y).

The sound actually occurs after two-hour trip at least and never in the city. After three or four hours of travel the sound is almost permanently at any speed and even louder. At this time the dealer have had the car for two weeks without reporting clearly what happens. I´m worried about having the car back and wait for another family trip to discover that the sound is still there and even worse without knowing what the cause is.

Do you know what is causing this noise?
  • luckycaliluckycali Member Posts: 17
    Recently my 04 Ford Explorer started acting up. My door ajar lights up and my interior lights come on. I checked all the doors and they are all shut,the dome light switch is on the position to have to have the lights come on when a door is open. The lights will go off if I turn the dome light switch off but the door ajar keeps lit up. Also if I turn the truck on they won't turn off. If I disconnect the battery for a sec and reconnect the battery the lights work fine and the door ajar light turns off but it acts up afterwards. Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?
  • gwest3024gwest3024 Member Posts: 1
    Sir, what was the end result for your 2002 explorer. My son's has a close issue, it just shut off going up a hill. I have good fuel, spark and air but it will not run and when you touch tyhe power windows button it seems to short the dash out.
  • scampi75scampi75 Member Posts: 1
    In my 2003 Explorer Sport, the overhead readout of direction and temp slowly stopped working and now is completely dead. Any ideas?
  • fostersfosters Member Posts: 1
    In my explorer my windows , fuel gauges, service light, darage controls all not working. I checked all fuses and still cannot get them to work. Any suggestions
  • bruce101bruce101 Member Posts: 1
    my power windows , door locks, turned signals, air conditioner is stuck on high and it will only work on defrost setting. all this happen at the same time. someone told me that it's a sensor behind the radio :confuse:
  • wh1235wh1235 Member Posts: 1
    my wife drives the explorer with exactly the same problem. we had it in the shop for 4 days but they couldnt recreate the noise. i think its got to do with air flow through the cowell. i blocked it with a towell and alot of the noise went away. i was wondering if you had any sucess with getting rid of the problem?
  • marge15marge15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ford Explorer which has a battery drain and the windshield wipers keep dying. I've taken it in and checked the battery and the alternator and both are good, but the battery keeps dying and the windshield wipers stop working after a couple weeks. After getting a new battery everything starts to work again. The mechanic keeps trying to tell me there's a whole list of problems that cause this, but I want to avoid having to spend an arm and a leg just to get to the root of the problem here...please help...
  • gadgetgirl963gadgetgirl963 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem on my '03 Explorer and found a very simple fix. The sensor within the door latch doesn't recognize that the door is shut. Take some WD-40, spray into each door latch, including the lift gate, and hopefully the problem will be resolved. I do this about every other month.

I found this fix on another forum and verified with my son who is a certified Ford technician. Just wish I had found out about it before I had to replace a dead battery.

Good luck!
  • vacuum512vacuum512 Member Posts: 4
    The main black wire has snapped in my door jamb and i'm wondering the best way to gain some slack so i can splice and re-connect them. Any suggestions?
  • andrewthatsmeandrewthatsme Member Posts: 1
    I bought my explorer about 2 years ago and have been fixing it up as I go. Well, I recently
    ran into a peculiar problem, the passenger side head light keeps literally blowing up.
    There is glass in my head lamp. Well I had thought it was my brights making a surge and blowing it, but its not. Recently it just now blows everytime I put in a new bulb. I have gone through quite a bit of bulbs. When it is on its extremely dim almost like it is blown but its not.
    HELP ME PLEASE!!!
  • crazymom23kidscrazymom23kids Member Posts: 1
    Ever since I have had my 2003 Ford Explorer I have had NUMEROUS electrical issues. 1st off, the door ajar always being on, I just read the WD-40 post and will try that. 2nd, my driver's window suddenly stopped working. I am not convinced this is a motor issue as it worked. I turned my car off, restarted the car about 10 minutes later and then it wouldn't roll down. If it was truly a motor issue I would think there would've been some sign, like rolling down sluggishly, or making a noise. I checked the fuse/breaker, and it was fine. 3rd, I have a constant "clicking" from my heat/a/c. This summer, the air wouldn't work one day, I turned it up all the way, now the air works, and the heat won't. I'm thinking this may be an issue with a relay? Any input on this?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    My '02 has had the same problem, usually after heavy rain.
    It happened yesterday, so I used some WD-40.
    It worked!
    Thanks for the tip. :)
    Got any good ideas for CD's stuck in the CD changer?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2011
    You can the tricks in the How to Remove a Stuck CD discussion, but usually the tricks work better for players instead of changers.
  • atdmilleratdmiller Member Posts: 1
    My car wont come out of park if the air is on, plus hazard lights are stuck on in the cluster, if I turn air off I can get car out of park but now my air wont blow regardless of what gear it's in. It's on and cold but not blowing. Also the cluster light is not working so I cannot see anything at night and when I use directionals the clock light area blinks. We've disconnected battery and checked fuses but has not fixed anything. Any suggestions? It's a 2001 Explorer XLT with 143K miles.
  • ctd69wyzctd69wyz Member Posts: 1
    I have been on this Forum for 1hour now (just registered) and this is crazy that I'm having the majority of these problems on my 2002 FORD EXPLORER worse puchase ever and I have an Extended Warranty. I have electrical problems with the locks switching on an off Lights not turning off, dashboard lights on, 4/4 that won't engage I recently had to get a new Transmission rebuilt from the dealership an I'm still having problems with it, This is a disgrace that this many people are having the same problems with FORD. They should really recall there vehicles especially the FORD EXPLORER What do you think?? This is just insane, ( Oh I forgot about the heat problem not working) I see there's mutiple people on different sites with this problem, FORD this is an Disgrace to your American made product.