Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C230 Problems and Repairs

Comments

• gonsalogonsalo Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor has 54K miles and I just bought it in May and my mistake was putting PLUS Gasoline istead of the PREMIUM and the front Oxigen Sensor went bad. But the car wasn't turnig on normally, I was having issues making it run. When I turn ON the key it just started if I press on the gas pedal. So my question would be if the oxigen sensor would be a problem so the ignitions won't turn on normally?
  • greenknightgreenknight Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Mercedes C230; have had it for three years. It's a wonderful car, but currently has a couple of major drawbacks; the seat controls started intermittently not working... then they started only working in hot weather... now they don't work at all.

The other side of this is the climate control. When I set to a temperature, or just crank the fan up to full-blast, I can hear the fan working overtime within the console, but little-to-no air comes out of the vents. This makes it difficult in both the dead of summer, and the depths of winter (or vice versa).

On both counts, I've had a Mercedes dealership and my local (and trusted) mechanic look into it. They've said it's a problem with the computer in the central console (the dealership called it a... "convenience" module, or somesuch?).

I'm primarily trying to find out the name of this part so that I can find a replacement on my own. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? Or give me any other suggestions?

Any help is appreciated; I don't look forward to another winter having to hold a snow-brush out of my driver's-side window to keep the windshield clear.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, it's just a co-incidence if your 02 sensor failed at the same time you used PLUS gasoline. Your car's computer can adjust for whatever type of gasoline you put in it. All you'll notice is some loss of performance but you can't hurt anything.

As for hard starting with a bad 02 sensor, the only thing I can think of is that a bad 02 sensor may cause the car to run rich or lean, and that might have fouled the spark plugs.
  • shay35shay35 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, I have a c230 2003. I am going to try what you suggested.
  • julesijulesi Member Posts: 2
  • julesijulesi Member Posts: 2
    Did you find out what was wrong.
  • pfilapfila Member Posts: 1
    Wife's 2005 C230 Kompressor with less than 50K on it. Mechanics reset and say drive for 200 miles then take to smog. Without fail light comes back on and no smog..again!
    Dealership has 'given up' even they dont know what to do. Last suggestion they're going to drain all the gas in the fuel system and put in Chevron with Techron to see if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions, dont have the error codes to hand.
  • sakilahsakilah Member Posts: 1
    my Check engine light is on solid yellow. Last Thursday12/1 I put gas in my car(premium). Friday 12/2 my light came on. In Oct I had a service B done to my car no problems. Sunday 12/4 I went to autozone to get a diagnostic. they came back with 1. thermostat defective or 2. sensor defective or 3. coolant level is low. I checked coolant level that's ok. I'm hoping the joker at the gas station put the right gas in my car. I was not paying attention. Now i have read blogs saying to replace sensor/ thermostat could run me $200-800. should i wait and run the gas down to see if that was it or what? any answers?
    Well, as surprising as it sounds, these trouble codes don't actually tell you what's wrong--they indicate where to start looking, but your car's computer cannot single out defective components--it only indicates systems or circuits that might be under distress. I'm not even sure that the codes were read correctly, but if they were, it might make sense that a bad sensor could light up an engine light. The only way bad gas could cause this is when it causes a misfire, and misfire codes are generally easy to read.

You might also check your gas cap and tighten it up.

There's also a different way to check coolant when hot or when cold. Be sure you are reading the correct level in the overflow tank, depending on a cold or warm engine.
  • robert52893robert52893 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 2003 mercedes c230 kompresor but it dosent whant to turn on. it cranks but dosent turn on. i tought it was the crankshaft position sensor so i bought a new one and switch it but still did the same thing.. What should i do next..
  • vpkarenlouisevpkarenlouise Member Posts: 2
    Mr. N H, like you, I'm experiencing similar issues with my 2007 c230. If the majority of the 162 other comments are referencing similar issues, this may give merit to a class action law suit or recall. I've communicated with a friend who is an attorney, and currently working on a class action law suit, in the hopes he will assist me in getting this information out to the Feds to, perhaps, lodge an investigation/recall. My experience of deceleration occurred on 1-18-12 at 7:30pm, on the interstate, traveling at a speed of 70mph quickly decelerating to 45mph , I was forced to pull off on the side of the road. Imagine what could have happened if a tractor trailer truck had barreled down on me, not recognizing my reduction in speed (due to not seeing brake lights). I have definitely made my extreme disappointment and concerns with my car known to the Raleigh, NC Leith Mercedes, Service Manager. I am confident Mercedes-Benz is aware of the problems, to that end, I am taking up the vigil of getting this information out to the masses......one young woman took on Bank of America and prevailed; therefore, I know this, too, is possible.
  • vpkarenlouisevpkarenlouise Member Posts: 2
    Paul, I posted message number 163, please let me know if my issues would be considered in the class action......I cannot articulate my problems with mechanic jargon or expertise, but my car is currently in the shop.

vpkaren
  • joesmetals55joesmetals55 Member Posts: 1
    On my c230 Kompressor the fuel pump went out and after replacing it the car runs ok but sometimes it wont start right away acting as if it is not gettong fuel. when it starts it might sputter for a few run seconds or more then run normal. if you prime the fuel pump a couple of times before starting it seems to help sometimes but not all the time. ???? checked the inline check valve but seems to be ok.????
  • kidsc230kidsc230 Member Posts: 1
    Daughter bought a 2000, C230 on 2/3/12 now the trunk won`t open, tried using the key, the remote and the switch on the console no luck. Help
  • beetlybug71beetlybug71 Member Posts: 6
    Check up underneath by the license plate to see if there is a latch, if that doesn't work try: http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/1un57-1998-mercedes-benz-c230-needs-jump-star- t-battery-trunk.html Scroll down to instructions.
  • creditman1creditman1 Member Posts: 5
    Make sure you have the key extended all the way out and try again. Also make sure your battery in the keyfob is good. Also you might have the trunk in the lock position which is all the way to the left. Insert the key turn it all the way to the right then try pushing in on the button and see if it opens. I have never had this problem with my C230. Hope this help. Also check your fuses
  • brettmoore1984brettmoore1984 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I to have a 2007 C230 Sport and for the past year have been back and forth to my local Mercedes shop with numerous problems. With the camshaft sensors and telling me that my camshaft is "Over Retarded". After seeing this post it's obvious it's not just my car. Now today 2/22/2012 while driving home my transmisson would not shift out of what seemed like 3rd gear after using the kick down to climb a mountain. I pulled off the interstate and shifted into park then back into gear and it was doing a very hard shift. After pulling back out onto the interstate it would not shift period felt like neutral. The car did move but only have the rpms were at like 3 grand. I still owe a fair amount of money on this car and can not afford to fix it on top of paying for it. Please do let me know if your able to get some kind of class action going. It's kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one. Also to the car had a fowl smell coming from it after it was finally stopped. Thanks Brett
  • faheemallibhaifaheemallibhai Member Posts: 1
    So I just bought a 2006 C230 yesterday, 02/25/12. I was so excited as this is my first expensive car I have bought. About 3 hours of owning it my check engine light comes on and it states that I have an intake manifold issue and thermostat issue. Is this normal after 75k? As like you I reside in Raleigh NC and if this is something normal I would like to join you with reporting this junk because this is a freaking MERCEDES! this should not happen!
  • shay35shay35 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003...Does the recall apply to that year also?
  • kels28kels28 Member Posts: 2
    My red batter/alternator light has been coming on for about 3 months now. It'll come on, I'll shut the car completely off and restart it, and the light goes off. Yesterday, however, I had just started it and had my visor open with the mirror and the light went out, the whole car shook and made a noise, the lights came back on and so did the battery/alternator light. I turned it off and on and it went away, but I still don't know what's wrong with it. We had the car serviced at the dealership in January and they didn't mention it. I'm having the engine mounts replaced at the dealership tomorrow (for $1,145) and I'm wondering if I should tell them...I don't want them to do a bunch of diagnostics and have it cost me an arm and a leg. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • jgy2001jgy2001 Member Posts: 7
    97 C230. 140K miles. Cluck shift sound sometimes, when accelerate at up hill incline.

Dealer said: rough shift only on 3 to 2 downshift. Found transmission fluid dark. Do not understand this -> "performed short test, found stored code for selector lever is implausible, communication with engine module, and reverse/park lock solenoid fault".

Normally would recommend a valve body, but mileage is high. Not confident will fix shift issue without cause clutches to slip. Dealer said : best to replace entire transmission.

But for now, can still drive without much problem.
  • lnowelllnowell Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2012
    I have a 2006 C230 Sport that i purchased brand new at the end of 2005 and for about 2 years now periodically when i press on the gas the car barely moves but the RPMS will continue to rise as i accellerate and i try to put it in reverse and it goes nowhere until i put it in park (and it makes a loud thump) and turn the car off and start it right back up and everything is normal. 80,000 on the car and i have changed the transmission fluid and the fuel filter. Mercedes Benz Dealer have not heard of these issues before but i have read similar problems on this Forum. Amazing
    What was your car doing that it neeeded a speed transmission sensor and where are you now with your issue with your car and Mercedes Benz.
  • beetlybug71beetlybug71 Member Posts: 6
    Mine was shifting erractically for the last couple of years, so I took it into the Mercedes dealership, they did two huge updates on the cars computer that pertained to the transmission & its a ton better!
  • zygzyg Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Driving my 2006 C230 on I-95 at speed 65 mph, I experienced a sudden loss of power. Fortunately, I got off of the highway safely. My mechanic found that my transmission was slipping together with faulty code 0894. According to the Mercedes service bulletin, "Limp Home Mode," if there is no power transfer and the code 0894 were presented at the same time, then the K-1 clutch is damaged. My car had only 39,500 miles but was out of warranty. I took the car to the dealership because Mercedes promised to help me with the repair cost. The dealer stated the new valave body would solve the problems, so they replaced it. However, it did not make any difference. Finally, they disassembled the transmission and found the blown seal in the K-1 clutch, which was responsible for the clutch failure. They replaced the K-1 clutch along with the new redesigned seal, which indicates that the seal was originally defected. Total repair cost me $4,300 and Mercedes did not give me a penny. Recently, my mechanic tells me there is a shortage of new valve body. According to, http://jayauto.wordpress.com, Mercedes is in a fight with its own suppliers because they produce a low-quality part. If you have problems with your 7-speed transmissions, please report it to: NHTSA. Only this organization can enforce Mercedes to do a transmission recall. In 2011, Mercedes made their biggest profit in their history. However, I don't think they will use it to fix their issues with transmission.
  • tonyblanotonyblano Member Posts: 1
    I have a simliar problem. I have a 2007 C 230 sport when I excilarate then come to a complete stop I feel a vibration then when I attempt to excilrate it does'nt want to go even though the RPM has moved. I have to turn the engine off then restart it then I'm fine. I've been told it could be the air conducter or fuel pump. I brought it in to replace the fuel pump which the mechanic indicated the problem to be. However, the problem is still there. He stated that I have two fuel pumps so both were replaced. ????? could you help me if you could thanks.
  • brownshoesbrownshoes Member Posts: 2
    My daughter left me her car in December, when she went overseas. I drive it back and forth to work about 30 miles round trip once or twice a week. About a week ago, I went to the local grocery store and parked the car, placing it in park. When I was getting out, the car began to roll backwards on a really small incline. So, I have to ensure that the parking brake is always on regardless of my location. I was able to drive the car home, as there was no noticeable problems other than the C230 rolling when in park. I drove it to work a couple of times following that. About three nights ago, I saw smoke coming from under the hood when I parked the car at my house. I thought it was rain water that hit the the bottom of the car, as it had been raining and the temperature cooled. Low and behold, it was transmission fluid leaking from some where underneath the car. this afternoon, I put the car on my ramps and intend to go underneath this afternoon to see where the fluid may have leaked from.

For the past 35 years, I've worked on all of my own cars, as well as my friends and relatives. I'm not a mechanic by trade -I am a do it yourself person when it comes to cars. I don't dabble technical issues beyond my capabilities. I have never owned a foreign car, so won't work on my wife's BMW unless its an oil change. I have changed the oil it it (BMW) and on my daughter's C230. I have never heard of a vehicle being placed in park and then rolling on a slight incline. I have also never seen about a quart of transmission fluid leak out from beneath the car like it did the other night. Has anyone ever seen this before or can tell me how a Mercedes goes into park like I've described, and still rolls? I can tell by the 18 pages I just read in this forum, that the C230 is very expensive to repair. Has anyone ever lost a quart of trans fluid? I find it odd, that the car still drives, as I just put it on my ramps. :confuse:
    I found no one who could assure me of a definite fix for the problem so i traded my problems away before it became a money pit even though the 2006 looked brand new with 80,000 miles.
  • jbluntjblunt Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,
    My Merc ce 230 Coupe is overheating. The temperature is reaching 120 in 10 minutes of driving. The Temperature stands still at around 80-90 while driving however when the car slow downs/trafiic signal it increses rapidly.

I stay in Qatar and its summer right now, i think weather plays its role in this problem however the rest of the cars does not get heated to this extend.

If the tempearture reaches 120 i have to either stop on the ROAD or on the road side and wait for it to cool down before driving again.

The mechanics here does not have sound knowledge about why the car is over heating.....

I have to put water every 6 hours to run it...

Your valuable advise or suggestions are highly appreciated with regards to a permanent solution.

Regards,
    Ali.
    Okay...if the car is running all right when you are driving down the road, but overheating when you are in traffic, then you have an AIR circulation problem, not a COOLANT circulation problem. This leads me to suspect that your electric cooling fans are not operating properly.
  • daolindaolin Member Posts: 1
    I hope it is not too late. The seat problem can be fixed by change a relay in your trunk. It's called seat adjust relay, part# 0025422219, costs $24 in napaonline.com

Dealer wanted to charge $500 for it, took me two year to find out the cause.
  • lucky42lucky42 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I also have the same problem you are having I don't know if you still have the car but my 2007 c 230 is acting just as you describe. I don't know what to do I don't have the money to fix it I call Mercedes dealer they telling me is the transmission speed sensor. Just the part cost is 800+ labor god knows how much that will be. I have been reading this is a common problem with 2006-2007 c230 models. I just called an attorney to see if I can start a class action suit.
  • auwillowtumnauwillowtumn Member Posts: 4
    We currently own a mercedes C250 (2012 model) and have had it for about 8 months. On July 15, 2012 around noon PST, our car was idling at an intersection when it suddenly shut off as if it did not have any power or fuel. We had half a tank of fuel at the time so it was not an issue involving lack of fuel. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this kind of problem? Perhaps it has something to do with the turbo engine, direct fuel injection, or fuel pump? maybe it is just a Mercedes C250 specific issue? Also, I understand there was some solar flare activity that took place on July 15, 2012...perhaps this has something to do with it?
  • auwillowtumnauwillowtumn Member Posts: 4
    We currently own a mercedes C250 (2012 model) and have had it for about 8 months. On July 15, 2012 around noon PST, our car was idling at an intersection when it suddenly shut off as if it did not have any power or fuel. We had half a tank of fuel at the time so it was not an issue involving lack of fuel. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this kind of problem? Perhaps it has something to do with the turbo engine, direct fuel injection, or fuel pump? maybe it is just a Mercedes C250 specific issue? Also, I understand there was some solar flare activity that took place on July 15, 2012...perhaps this has something to do with it?
  • qchandqchand Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem in my C230 2007 model, it won' accelerate sometime until i shut down the car and restart and runs normal ( no engine light ) got this vehicle scanned and it got three major error codes from computer memory,
    Transmission modulator valvue something
    Speed sensor modulator
    etc.

Taking this car to dealership today for another diagnostic and see what they say about it.
    I hope you didn't pay for all the I think its this, nobody could give me a definite answer so I had to trade it in.
  • mbe320mbe320 Member Posts: 3
    Had a similar problem on a E320 1999. It turned out to be the CPS (engine crank position sensor). The engine shuts down immediately and won't start at all for safety. If you had a simial symptom then it may be the same problem.

Otherwise there are other things. Is there any check engine light on ? (I didn't have any before). You may buy a $99 computer reader tool to plug under the dash to be able to read any error codes and get an idea on what could be happening.
    find yourself an Indy mechanic. I mean someone who works on Mercedes and or other european cars. Changing engine mounts is like less than 2 hours job. Parts less than 100 plus $150 for 2 hours and you should get it done for $250.
    You have warranty still right? take it to the dealer and ask them to explain.
  • fmercedessdfmercedessd Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I am going through the same issue with this piece of [non-permissible content removed] car. I bought it new in 2006, I have always taken it to the dealership for repairs and service. My check engine light came on and I took it to the dealership and they say I need new "flaps" for my intake manifold!!!! What is funny is that the FEDERAL emissions warranty covers the intake manifold, NOT THE "flaps" that I supposedly need. They quoted me $1,700!!! I do not see how a LUXURY car can have so many problems, especially since it has always been taken care of. I WILL NEVER BUY A MERCEDES AGAIN!
    I AM VERY INTERESTED IN STARTING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE RESPOND. :mad: :cry:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sorry, but we don't permit using the forums to gather names for legal action.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marileecmarileec Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I am going through a similar problem. I have a 2002 c230 with 129,000 miles and was driving 60mph on the highway when the car just gave a little shrug and stopped . I was lucky I wasn't killed as five minutes before I had been in the middle of fast-moving commuter traffic for an hour. I rolled over to breakdown lane and got it started again - managed after several starts to get off exit. Towed to Mercedes dealer who diagnosed as PVC/MAF from oil leak problem for about $1,100. This was a different dealer than my regular one because it was too far to tow to my regular. I went ahead and had it fixed because I was in a bind and the dealer said the codes pointed to the MAF. Now, the check engine light is off but I am unsure if it's really fixed because my regular dealer told me the oil leak wasn't that bad and, in their opinion, a MAF problem would not have cut the engine completely off while driving fast. I had no trouble before - the car seemed to be running okay and doesn't seem any different now that I've had the repair. My regular dealer said it could be the CPS but now I'm really nervous about driving it on the highway just in case it happens again. I am thinking I might get the CPS done anyway as a precaution as I understand it's not an expensive repair.
  • wtfwtfwtfwtf Member Posts: 1
    Any mechanics or people with similar experience please help! I bought my 2006 c230 new, with extended warranty. All scheduled and non-scheduled service at dealership, on time. It now has 78kmi.
    In the past 5 weeks I've brought my car into the dealership 5 times with repeated check engine light! Each time I bring it in it seems like they fix something small, and not the real problem.
    The 1st time my car idled rough and shut off at a stop sign and then the check engine light came on. I brought it to the dealership and they said it was an oxygen sensor and they fixed it. It seemed to pull going up hills and my mom noticed a burning/hot smell. Within 48 hours of leaving the check engine light comes on again. I bring it back and they say its a fuel filter issue-fixed. 48 hours again same story. They change the software.!? Again check engine light within 2 days of leaving the dealership. Last time (the 4th time) they said it was a 2nd oxygen sensor issue. Less than 24 hours later the check engine light is on again!!! This is the most absurd experience I've ever had.... please help. I'm not sure if the dealership is messing me me and saying it's little things waiting for my next service A or waiting for my warranty to run out (in 6 months) so that it's my cost rather than theirs!!!! Very frustrated. :lemon:
    Issues that occurred recently before the first CEL---blinker intermittently acting crazy and the A/C was doing what it wanted. No air then a blast of A/C 2-3 min after turning it on (not sure if it's related).
  • benbar36benbar36 Member Posts: 1
    Barry,
    Your A/C problem might be a vacuum leak. The A/C system uses engine vacuum to swap climate control valves. I hope this helps.
  • lon38lon38 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Auwlllowtumn,

I currently have the same vehicle 2012 mercedes benz c250
    The exact same thing happened to me today. While I was at a stop light..car idling the engine suddenly shuts off. I did not have any problem starting the car back. Did you find out what was wrong with your car? Any information will help. Thanks
  • babyblue9133babyblue9133 Member Posts: 1
    hey how are you doing, im having the same problem with my 04 c230 mercedes kompressor i recently had the fuel pump replaced and as soon as it was replaced it started up right away. but now it wont start and it sputters. What did you do to fix this problem?
  • lmccurleylmccurley Member Posts: 2
  • lmccurleylmccurley Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 c230k The lights and engine surge and fades while running.
    the engine does not lose power while accelerating but lights, defrost motor,
    continue to surge and fade.When at idle, engine idle fades and nearly dies.
    No check lights are present Help!!!!
  • rah12rah12 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. We bought a 2006 Mercedes C230 in September 23, 2012. Here it is Dec 17, 2012 and we have had the same issues with the check engine light, oil leaks, etc. Get the oil leak fixed, check engine light still on. Tonight, I was picking my son up from bball practice when out of the blue, on the interstate, the car just stopped driving, I pull off the road, the car will not go, I can only hope and pray it is some sort of cable and NOT the transmission. It only has 63,000 miles on it!! Someone help!!
    Your cam sensor is bad, do not let Mercedes fix it because it will cost you an arm and a leg buy the part and have someone who is mechanically inclined replace it for you