Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C230 Problems and Repairs

1235»

Comments

• rah12rah12 Member Posts: 2
    We had it towed to a transmission shop and they are saying the transmission is bad. $3500.00 I have contacted Mercedes corporate offices. They are suppose to get back with me on Wednesday.
  • hiptorhiptor Member Posts: 1
    About a week ago my c230 recently started to not excelerate normal after coming to a stop, it will start slowly and eventually pick-up speed but you can feel it is sluggish. It will start normally if I turn off and restart the car. Today after parking and shopping it started fine but jerked once I changed the gear from park to reverse and then again to drive....the car would not go faster than 20 mph - the motor would just idle. The button to switch from Sport and Casual driving options near the gear shift would not switch over...have always driven on the casual option, but I have switched the options before and they would switch.

Tried to rest it and restart but problem persists...will have my mechanic look at it after the holiday but I am curious if anyone has had this happen and if you know what the problem is. Car has 105k miles.

Thanks
  • lnowelllnowell Member Posts: 6
    I experienced the same problem but could not get a definite answer to what the problem was but as long as it cleared up after turning it off consider it just a glitch. So i got rid of the problem and the car before it became a money pit even though it still looked brand new.
  • 4sport4sport Member Posts: 2
    We had a similar problem that turned out to be a speed proportioning valve on the side of the transmission. The local dealer helped us out in softening the cost
    Good luck.
  • lawailawai Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I am am also having the camshaft sensor problem. My mechanic advised that he thinks Mercedes had a recall on the 2007 C230 cams..Have you gotten anywhere with this issue Brettmoore? seems we may be best served getting with mercedes manufacturer, but I have no idea how to go about it. Also when it is very cold there is hesitation and then a jerk (if I do not gently let it get past it) as I pull out of my drive, then it is fine.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might start by having a look here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html
    I know it says maintenance, but after you enter your vehicle's details, you'll get to a page where you can review recalls and technical service bulletins. I only saw one recall, but the first TSB (top of the list) under "Electrical," there was something about a cam sensor solenoid.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nas724nas724 Member Posts: 2
    My friend is selling a MB C-230, with 120 K miles on. according to him it runs good but needs some repairs because it gives a jerk when as it accelerates but runs Ok at higher speed. Also, needs a new battery. He is asking around $4500. I need some feedback. Thanks
    Not sure what you're looking for - are you asking whether that's a good price, and if you should consider purchasing it?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nas724nas724 Member Posts: 2
    Both. Is it a fair price? and is it generally considered a problem/problem free car?. I have never
    driven or bought a MB before.
    Keep watching this discussion for feedback, but you should also post details about the vehicle in our Real-World Trade-in Values discussion. Make sure to include your location & mileage on the vehicle, and people can give you an idea of what it's worth.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2013
    If you mean that it snaps your neck between upshifts, that's not a real good sign. If you're looking for a trouble-free used car, generally speaking (and I've been proven wrong sometimes), a high mileage German car out of warranty with transmission issues is not the best odds.

By all means, have the car checked out prior to purchase.
  • nwtnwt Member Posts: 10
    Bought a C250 yesterday. Got it home and it is making loud rattling/sputtering noise when idling in gear. It is now in the garage for them to inspect. It had 13 miles on it at the dealership. I'm feeling like I got the reject that other people test drove and rejected because it was rattling. It doesn't make the rattling every time - maybe half the time. I plan to keep this car for 8 years or more. I do not want on-going rattling and headaches. Should I insist upon a new one? The salesman said if I really want a new one they will probably do it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Not for a rattle---sure, they'll trade you into a new one, but you won't like the price difference.

Give 'em a chance. Discouraging I know, but maybe it's some nit-picky little thing.
  • just_a_manjust_a_man Member Posts: 1
    I would stay away from this Car. I have owned one from 16 to 88 thousand miles and this is the list of problems:
    *Windshield wiper mechanism failed 3x last resulted in sudden loss of vision and serious accident, write off.
    ** transmission replaced 2x (one in warranty) second $3,000.00 bill.
    ***Engine harness $1,000.00
    ****Air mass sensor $800.00
    *****Computer (used one ) $900.00 engine stalling during normal driving city and freeway.
    ******Instrument cluster, in warranty. Failed again when out of warranty.

Like most owners, I did not get anywhere with Benz service, even so I brought up the problem to service manager while the car was still in warranty. Lovely car, cheap to buy compared to cost of ownership.
  • kizzebenzkizzebenz Member Posts: 1
    Hey I'm interested in this MBA lawsuit! Please tell me how to join? I hate I'm seeing this so late but we can get more done together. Anybody can reply with help I will appreciate it. It's currently Nov 1013 & I just bought a 2007 in Dec of 2012 with 56k on it. I drove the car for 2 months before all of a sudden the transmission started skipping. I went to the dealer who promised it was a small job to find out it was the transmission speed sensor & that the part alone was close to 1800 dollars!! I've only had this car 9 months with now 68 thousand miles & have gotten the oil changed twice & the car isn't even drivable ! I got in it one day & it wouldn't change out of first gear, & the engine light came on & I hsvent drove it sense! This is non acceptable I'm a female with a Mercedes with transmission issues at less than 100k miles. I'll never buy a Mercedes again & I'm surely trying to sue cause I'm still making payments !!
    Hi - we don't permit using the forums to organize legal action, and we don't permit email addresses/phone numbers to be posted either.

Please be sure to report the problem to the NHTSA at www.safercar.gov.
    If they get enough complaints, they have the authority to investigate and recommend a recall if they think it's warranted.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR