Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• elwessoelwesso Member Posts: 42
    Youll want to go to an autoparts store, pick up a fuel pressure gauge and a T fitting. Simply take off the hose going from the fuel filter, install the T fitting and another length of hose back to the fuel rail and then install a length of hose with a gauge on the end... :)
  • maymanjmaymanj Member Posts: 10
    I havea 97 Q45. 107000 Mi. PS started grinding left & right. I added about 10 OZ over a 6 month period. It gets quiet each time I add fluid. I am worried that the pump is going bad. Don't know where the fluid is going. Help. What should I do?
  • waliswalis Member Posts: 35
    Hi, my Q is still missing pretty badly. It's gotten worse now. It hardly moves these days. The only time it moves somewhat is when on the highway with lots of struggle to accelerate. WHat can it be? I recently just changed the fuel pump,fuel pump control module, fuel filter, air filter, new NGK spark plugs. It burns lots of gas. It misfires when I step hard on the gas pedal trying to force it to move out of frustration. I love this car but I'm frustrated now. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...HELP...HELP...HELP!!!!
    I have a 97 Q45 and it had the same problem,eg missfire. The dealer couldn't fixit either. So I suggested to the shop manager that they buy a neon bulb spark detector-on a long handle.When they held it near each "Coil-On -Plug" the internal breakdown sparkover lit the bulb. 7 of my 8 were bad. Yes,they wanted about $800 to replace,but I convinced them it was a Quality Control problem (material breakdown with age),and they replacewd all 8 Coil on plug assemblies free. See, the engineers at infinity factory are so proud of their QC that they were honored to learn about this defect.Engine runs great.Jerry
    Wow...7 bad coil packs. Please give a little more detail on how to run this test on the coil packs. Is it something I can buy and run the test on my own? Please advice! Thanks!
    How do I get answer to this Question?
    Jerry
    Im going to try and reply to all of these...

mayman- You obviously have a hose thats leaking, it could be the high pressure hose.. Thats expensive to replcae, however you can take the hose off, take it to a hydraulics shop (think heavy machinery, IE farm equipment/trucks) and they can take the fittings off and put them on a new hose... If its a low pressure hose, thats cheap to replace....

The pumps dont go bad except when you starve them of fluid!

Im impressed you got the dealer to replace all 8 coils. Its got to be nice with that sort of stuff when NO ONE has the CORRECT idea of whats actually wrong! When you have no clue, of course you can blame it on quality control or something like that.

Walis- You're not looking at a spark plug coil issue. The later Qs had problems with them to some degree, however they always get stupid owners to replace all 8 and make a killing when its probably only a couple thats bad. replacing all 8 will surely cure the problem! You most likely have a bad injector, did you perform the injector test I outlined?

Unfortuately due to the policy on this forum, I am unable to recommend you to a better source of information.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why not just provide the information here? Your help with Q45 questions is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ELWESSO, #53- I will look at that Hose. I know the shop that can Make it. Can you E-mail me the Isometric drawing Of pumnp & hose so I can see how to remove it?
    Jerry -maymanj@earthlink.net
  • caljoncaljon Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Q45 makes a loud droning noise caused by some kind of vibration between 1,800 and 2,100 rpm, and has the same sound in any of the five gears, so it is not road speed related. My dealer has replaced the Y-pipe and catalytic converters, as well as adjusting and tightening the exhaust heat shields numerous times. I drove two 2002 Q45’s that my friends own, and they do not have this droning noise. In my most recent service visit, the dealer again verified the vibration in my car as well as in a pre-owned 2005 Q45. The noise is vibration related rather than noise coming out the exhaust pipe.

In 2005 I recorded the sound while driving at 2,000 rpm in top gear on a smooth asphalt road. It is 20 dBA higher than at 2400 rpm. I can also feel a vibration on the floor of the car as it goes through the rpm range where the noise is the loudest. The vibration gets louder if the car has an increased load, such as climbing a hill.

My service manager told me he has done everything that they are aware of to cure the vibration and noise. There are no technical service bulletins on this problem, although it seems to affect the 2003-2005 Q45 models. We previously owned three earlier Q45’s, and were completely happy with them, as well as my wife’s present 2001 I30. My Infiniti service department has been outstanding in every way, but they obviously cannot re-engineer the car.
  • infinit97_owneinfinit97_owne Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Infiniti Q45 with 95K miles on it. Recently changed the spark plugs on it at firestone ( I know ... Big mistake). They used Bosch Platinum Plugs...
    I had originally started a thread for my issue but someone suggested that I search for this thread, and the symptoms described by Renkema pretty much mirror what I'm expreriencing.
    I started having the problems after driving for 500 miles on the new spark plugs.... So it wasn’t instantaneous.
    I have taken it to Autozone couple of times, the first time they diagnosed the following codes
    P0300 Random Misfire
    P0325 Knock Sensor, Bank 1
    P0330 Knock Sensor, Bank 2

So I took the car back to Firestone and asked them to check it out... They said the problems were not related to spark plugs - they performed their diagnostics and said everything looked fine.... So they disabled the codes and charged me $85 . This was about 2 weeks back...
    But I still continued to experience the symptoms- surprisingly Firestone tech's could not see the same ???
    Since the check engine light was not coming on I neglected the symptoms and drove, but few Days back the Check engine light came back on so I took it to Autozone again- this time the following codes showed up in their Diagnostics.

P0110 IAT Sensor

So I went back to Firestone one more time.... They said that they would charge me $85 one more time to perform a diagnostic AND IF the problem was not related to Spark plugs work that they had done. I decided not to get the diagnostics done until I had a better understanding of this issue, hence I'm here asking for your help and suggestions.

I also read a post on NICO CLub form that someone had a similar problem and it started after throttle body cleaning service by the dealer- but I have no knowledge of this service being performed by firestone.
    My question is
    1. How do i convince Firestone that the spark plugs that they used are not suitable for a Infinit Q45.
    I have a 97 Infiniti Q45 with 95K miles on it. Recently changed the spark plugs on it at firestone ( I know ... Big mistake). They used Bosch Platinum Plugs...
    I had originally started a thread for my issue but someone suggested that I search for this thread, and the symptoms described by Renkema pretty much mirror what I'm expreriencing.
    I started having the problems after driving for 500 miles on the new spark plugs.... So it wasn’t instantaneous.
    I have taken it to Autozone couple of times, the first time they diagnosed the following codes
    P0300 Random Misfire

So I took the car back to Firestone and asked them to check it out... They said the problems were not related to spark plugs - they performed their diagnostics and said everything looked fine.... So they disabled the codes and charged me $85 . This was about 2 weeks back...
    But I still continued to experience the symptoms- surprisingly Firestone tech's could not see the same ???
    Since the check engine light was not coming on I neglected the symptoms and drove, but few Days back the Check engine light came back on so I took it to Autozone again- this time the following codes showed up in their Diagnostics.

P0110 IAT Sensor

So I went back to Firestone one more time.... They said that they would charge me $85 one more time to perform a diagnostic AND IF the problem was not related to Spark plugs work that they had done. I decided not to get the diagnostics done until I had a better understanding of this issue, hence I'm here asking for your help and suggestions.

I also read in a post on NICO CLUB that a similar problem arose after throttle body cleaning service by the dealer- but I have no knowledge of this service being performed by firestone.

couple of questions here:
    1. Could this be a problem related to the spark plugs that I got changed, if so how do i convince firestone about it, and the fact that they are not supposed to be using Bosch Plugs on an infiniti Q45. I mean is there any documentation that i could show them to point that they used the wrong plugs. All i have come across is opinion based on individual experiences, but havent seen any results from test/analysis etc performed on bosch plugs.

2. If the problem is not related to Spark plugs, any suggestions/ideas/direction of why the car is experiencing this problem ?

TIA
    MK
    I found it on the internet under spark plug testers. Not sure of name. The theory is: When the insulation gets old and there is a path for spark breakdown to the block,that spark creates an RF field that lights the neon bulb. So it jumps to the block before it gets to the plug;therefore that cylinder won't fire-or weak. Very much like RF Field strength meters they use in the Cell Phone industry.When my Infinity Dealer saw it work he bought one and has used it ever since.
    Jerry
    Now my P.S. is 100% shot . Turning the wheel is like driving without PS. used up 15 oz of fluid.Could Pump be shot? I hope to get the high pressue hose replace today (THUR). On my 1st trip to the Dealer he couldn't find leak,but cleaned it up and asked me to drive it a few more days to find leak. Could the fluid with "stop-leak" gum -up the pump? well I hope dealer can fix it today.
    Jerry
  • abl28abl28 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '95 Q45 for about a year now. Over the past 4 weeks or so, I've noticed that the car has a delay when shifting from reverse to drive. . .like it sits in neutral before kicking into drive. The transmission also starts to whine (high pitch, sounds rotating) when accelerating quickly. . .any thoughts on what this may be? thanks
    have you checked your trans fluid level? Sounds like the transmission could be heading southward.

Nissantech, thanks for the compliments. I seem to remember seeing you somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where, something stands out in my memory about you though.
    Hi...can someone please give me a list of chain guides I'd need to change mine in a '92 Q45. They seem to have several guides...right and left cramshaft, oil pump and many more. Which ones do I need to get. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • mmorgan1mmorgan1 Member Posts: 2
    How do I locate the ballast for the R/H side headlamp on my 02 Infiniti Q45? Once I locate it, how do I replace it?
  • merritt2merritt2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Q45 and the auto-up on the driver window was not closing properly and I was having air noise on the highway. So, I took the door panel off and reset the regulator as defined in the Tech manual (put window all the way up manually, hold in the reset switch on the window regulator while manually putting the window in the down position, release the button and manually put in the up position).

Well, now my window does not work on auto-up at all - thought I can manually put it up. While resetting the window with the reset switch, I heard a clicking sound for several raises and lowering of the window and since then, auto-up is not functioning.

Any suggestions? Do I now need a new regulator?
  • ivycoleivycole Member Posts: 2
    Can I get a copy of any paperwork where Infiniti acknowledges this issue? I have a 99 q45t with the same problem. So far I have had to replace numbers 3 and 6 at my expense yet the rough idle, poor performace continues.
    Well, I hope you are not questioning the fact that I had my 97 Q45 repaired by Orlando Infiniti. My bill clearly states that my " Coil-On PLUG" 's were replaced. I spent 35 years in the Aerospace business. It was not unusual for high voltage insulators to fail. It's the dielectric constant breakdown due to : heat stress,mechanical vibration and other factors. It's called material scienceWhen their shop manager used that radiation detector to find the bad units it only took a microsecond for the Japanese Factory Engineer to understand that it was a QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE.Yes the GM, PETER WILSON REPLACED MINE. Send him a letter. My Q runs like a clock. JERRY
  • ivycoleivycole Member Posts: 2
    Nope, not questioning it at all. To get Infiniti of Memphis to do the same for me I would need to show them where Infiniti is acknowledging the issue. Infiniti of Memphis has the attitude of "when it breaks, tow it back to us." That is a direct quote. They have had my Q45 four times for this issue. So yes, a copy would help my case here in Memphis. The local Nissan dealer has the same attitude. Two independent garages can not find the problem either.
  • ballrific12002ballrific12002 Member Posts: 2
    hey all. My 92 Q has had the hicas indicator lit up for the past couple months. I know its got something to do with the 4 wheel steering system but still not sure whats going on since the car still seems to drive and steer ok. Any thoughts on what it could be or how much it could cost to fix. I got my Q in october with 120,000 mi and 1 owner.
    check your fluid level.
  • joesrjoesr Member Posts: 17
    The only time the hicas light came on in my 94 Q45t (which my Son now has) is when the fluid is low in the fluid cannister. - As I recall it takes a particular type of power steering fluid (manual should indicate type).
  • joesrjoesr Member Posts: 17
    My Son let the brake pads wear to the point of the worn brake pad warning light come on in his 94 Q45t. - We replaced the pads w/Infiniti pads and have been unable to get light out. - He went on this forum some months ago and followed recommendation of shorting the sensor wire, but was not sucessful. - I removed brake sensor and shorted as he did and light persists.

Any thoughts?
  • omerriazomerriaz Member Posts: 1
    Just noticed today that the SLIP and TCS lights come on after about 10 minutes of driving. When I turn car off, and restart, they go away.

The car is driving fine. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks.
  • ballrific12002ballrific12002 Member Posts: 2
    thats exacly what it was. i added just a few pours of fluid and the light went out right when i started the car. the dipstick in the cannister was completely dry. I just wish the guys at jiffy lube would have told me that with the complementary fluid check that they supposedly give with my $70 oil change.
  • jwebb1jwebb1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 95 Q45 from a good friend of mine. It's really a nice looking car. I was running fine until I had the car do the coolant and transmission fluid flushes. It started to leak a bit of coolant. The mechanic claimed the coolant flush might have flushed out the deposit which temporarily prevented the leak. So I had a new radiator and thermostatic installed. At the same time, I replaced 3 belts since they are about to wear out. Now, no leaking but when I turn on AC, car starts to overheat. I would like to learn more before I talk to the mechanic. Please help.
    I would say that its the TCS relays... Theres 2 relays under the battery.
    Hi, I have a quick question: is a 1996 Q45t driveshaft with center bearing better than the one on my 1992 Q45? I have a good chance to obtain one from a friend and I want to know if it's worth changing. Thanks a lot!
    Hello all,
    I managed to convince myself to embark in doing my chain guides myself. I've done the driver side guides but I'm having trouble with the passenger side. I removed the old tension guide but having serious difficulty installing the new one. I just can't get it in there. Is there any trick in getting it into place? Also, I have a hard time getting the driver side slack side guide in once I removed the tensioner...the chain was very tight. I eventually got it in by removing the water pump. My concern is not to repeat the same for the passenger side slack guide. What are the tricks in getting these guides in?
    Please help!
    I need to know how to get the passenger side guides in. How should I go about doing it?
    Thanks everyone!
    Hello,
    is it okay to use coil packs from a 1996 Q45t on a 1992 Q45? I noticed that the coil pack plugs won't fit exactly but with some trimming on the edges on the coil packs itself, it fit. Is there anything I should be concerned about? I haven't put them in, I just tried one. Please advise before I install them all.
    Thanks!
  • caddipimpcaddipimp Member Posts: 2
    i'm about to buy a 94 infiniti Q45... i was told it needs a upper control arm..., before i bring it to a mec, i would like to get an estimate... the guy i brought it from said that he had a curb accident... he was trying to park and hit the curb hard... the wheel is bent,,, he said the wheel rubbs against the car,,, Does this sould like i just need another tire and rim or do u think i would have to get a whole new suspention system,,/ axel... ...its on the rear passenger side... he said its drivable but he don't recommend long distance traveling... i would appreciate any responce... thanx 4 ur time reading... enjoy ur day...
  • gdfiskgdfisk Member Posts: 1
    I had the p0110 p0325 p0330 Errors. I had changed the oil and did not get the connector on the back of the air intake thingy back on completely. It has a catch that you have to grip to get the sensor connector off, and it turns out that you must grip it to get the connector back on. The sensor is close the air filter - if you see any of the body the connector go on to, it is likely not on completely. Good luck
  • mythirdqmythirdq Member Posts: 1
    HELP! I just bought my third Q45, a 2003. It is beautiful, low mileage, no marks or dents, BUT...
    It makes a strange noise when I am straightening up from a left turn. The noise seems to be coming from underneath the car, definitely not inside. I have had it checked by both my personal mechanic and an Infinity dealership. Both heard the noise upon test-driving, but could find nothing wrong. Should I be worried???

Thank you,
    mythirdq
  • kenzelkenzel Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for aftermarket struts for my 94 q45t. Any suggestions?
  • jimt4jimt4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Q45 with 60,000 miles. The speedomoter will drop to zero when slowing down. When you tap on the plastic above the needle it will go back to normal. It does not do this all the time.

I would apreciate some help.
    My 1996 Q45 powersteering was acting like the rack was going bad . The car was hard to steer and the power steering was full. I removed power steering fluid and added conditioner. It worked well for about a thousand milews. It is beginning to do the same thing again. (this is my second problem in addition to the speedometer.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    Jim, it sounds like the first problem is electrical issue. Somewhere between the sensor and the dash a wire or connection is either loose or shorting out. If its near the sensor you're in luck, if it near the dash, good luck.

On the PS issue, my guess is the pump will probably need to be replaced. If the conditioner had it working OK for a while, it probably means it simply extended its life temporarily, but now it can't be prolonged any more.
    Honestly Q45 PS pumps dont go bad very often. I doubt highly its the pump, especially if it isnt making some TERRIBLE noises.

Does the speedo work OK? Does it ever drop out? if thats the case, then theres a solenoid for the VSS (variable speed steering) on the rack on the drivers side by the steering column that sometimes fails.
    Instrument cluster is probably bad. Replace with used.
    Tokico blues. Call 1888-216-5328, Infiniti of Scottsdale, ask for Joe, tell him Wes sent you.

You may see the tokico blues on ebay for about $260ish but Joe's includes the (somewhat expensive) dust boost and bump stops which are NECESSARY NECESSARY replacements otherwise your brand new struts will wear out in about 1000 miles. Struts are good for about 4 years/60k miles with fresh dust boost and bump stops.
    What kind of noise is it? I need to know if it feels like a mechanical noise (like a pump) or something thats rubbing (like a bad bushing)... LIke if the noise goes with the turning of the wheel.
    Also- when I started the car again it had a transmission malfunction message that came up for about 20 seconds. I checked for codes and it did not have any. Also today the car worked fine for a 40 mile commute to work. Do you think since the speedometer needle works when I tap the dash that it is proabley the cluster instead of the sensor? What should I expect to be charged to replace the cluster. I found a used one for $70.00. Should I worry about the tranny?
  • maxnixmaxnix Member Posts: 3
    Get the Tokico Bues and the associated rubber from

www.infinitpartsusa.com

Check steering rack bushings, sway bar and end link bushings, and upperlinks for replacement at the same time.

People here should also chack out the best Q45 Forum at

www.nicoclub.com
  • guyramseyguyramsey Member Posts: 1
    i have had 2 cars like this- i replaced the p/s return hose both times
  • ledheadmelliledheadmelli Member Posts: 4
    I have just realized my dream of becoming an Infiniti owner! (She's a '94, but ya gotta start somewhere, right?) I literally spent 2 1/2 weeks researching used cars until I found exactly what I wanted - a 1994 Q45a. I haven't finished reading the manual yet, but I'm beginning to suspect that this little baby probably has a button somewhere that will shave my legs while I'm driving. I have never felt so spoiled in my life!
    We got what I think is an incredible price - $2900 - 126k and well maintained in and out. The man we bought from didn't speak English that well, so I didn't press for too many details - I couldn't count out those 29 Benjis fast enough, to tell the truth! He mentioned that she might need shocks and possibly a tune-up. The engine is smooth and quiet (passed smog yesterday w/below avg numbers), but I did notice every bump on the road. Pressing the TCS button seems to help a bit - I think.
    Two days prior, I very nearly bought a 95 Q with higher miles, missing remote, CD changer & master key, broken driver window, dents and $1400 more - just because it was PURPLE! Yep, I'm one of those ladies!
    Anyway, on the way to look at this one, I made hubby promise that I could get a paint job (no matter what condition the paint was in) and a properly working stereo - then he could have the rest of the $6k insurance money for his work van or bills or whatever would shut up his whining about how nice my car is compared to his 93 Aerostar.
    I am currently shopping for a paint job, but feeling a little guilty because I really need to put the shocks first. My ex son-in-law says it's not the shocks because it's 'clunky' rather than 'floaty' (hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me) and he's the one who discovered that the TCS button seems to help. He thinks maybe I just need better tires.
    Besides the rough ride, my CD changer won't play (just says 'err' whether there are CDs loaded or not - yes, I loaded it the right way), and the antenna & sunroof are groany. I think they just need to be de-gunked with some wd40 or something. When I mentioned dropping by the Infiniti dealership to have this stuff checked out, I was discouraged from doing this by the males in my life, who felt I'd be overcharged by them. Wouldn't be the first time a mechanic looked at my long blonde hair and decided that my FRIMFRAMWHATZIT desperately needed to be replaced for big bucks that I don't have!
    Do you have any suggestions as to where I should take my car for a thorough check-up without getting ripped off? I sure don't want to pay $2000 for my suspension if all I really need is tires and alignment. I also don't want to ruin this beauty just because I'm too cheap to do proper maintenance on a timely basis. But we are currently supporting 8 people (kids/grands), leaving little for such luxuries as car repairs & maintenance, so every penny counts. Still, the purple paint is non-negotiable - you men have your spoilers/'dubbz'/17 gazillion hp engines - a lady can have her purple car w/o the guilt, right?
    Obviously, I'm a wee bit long-winded and you are probably regretting your new 'best friend' status, but I could use a little guidance from some of you veteran Q owners. I live in the SF Bay Area, if that makes any difference.
    Thanks for all the helpful advice I've read so far and for any you've got now.

Melanie

ps - I'm thinking about Earl Scheib for paint job - any thoughts?
    Oh boy. First with the SF bay area I'm not sure, I have a friend who lived there so I'll ask.

I'm going to take a little extra time because the Q45a's hold so special to my heart that I want you to realize exactly what you have, what you're up against, and how you need to proceed. This forum is not a real high priority on my list, however Q45a's are....

What IRKS me the most is that 95% of drivers dont have any idea what a Q45 is, and exactly how great of an automobile it was back in its day.

When infiniti came onto the market in 1989, they existed to basically show the German's that the Japanese can make a sports luxury car. At the time, BMW and Mercedes dominated the sports luxury segment. BMW had their M5 and 5 series to contend with, Mercedes the 300 series, and so on.

To give you a short story on the Q45, it was undoubtedly one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the road. The chassis was the stiffest chassis of ANY automobile on the road at the time, its coefficient of drag was on par with most super cars. The engine was a spectacular design which I could go on for YEARS about. In the early models, the steering wheel, gear shifter, and grab handles were made from the same hide of leather, regardless of the cost, so that they would FEEL the same to the touch.

The active suspension, dubbed Q45a, is easily the most advanced suspension system ever put on an automobile in America. Still, it stands its ground as cars now are starting to have a similar suspension, and they cost well over 100 grand and obviously cost much more to repair.

The active suspension is basically a computer controlled hydraulic suspension, with 9 nitrogen filled accumulators to provide the "cushyness" expected in a car like this. What is spectacular is that it can go over bumps seamlessly while providing nearly dead flat cornering. There is a video of a Q45a vs other luxury cars and its simply amazing.

The stiff ride you are describing is the nitrogen filled accumulators have lost their charge, and must be recharged. There are 4 main accumulators, and they can be recharged to restore 90% of the ride back. It will cost about $800 to recharge the 9 accumulators.

I am telling you this now because I want you to make sure you do the right thing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT convert your car from the active suspension. PLEASE do not let anyone tell you have to do this because you DONT. Conversion can cost as much as getting your active back up to par. IF you are not up to maintaining the active suspension, please get rid of this car immediately and get something else. I will seriously lose sleep whenever an active Q gets converted.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you are the kind of buyer that I would NOT recommend to get a Q45. They are old cars, and they dont care that you bought it for 2900, they are still a 60,000 luxury automobile. If you want the car to be well sorted, you have to start doing maintenance, regardless of what the previous owner said they did. Plan on replacing everything made of rubber on the suspension and engine (all hoses, bushings and dust boots), replacing the brakes, and many other assorted things. Also, this assumes that everything that needs immediate attention is taken care of (fuel pump probably needs replaced if it hasnt been already)

With that said, a paint job is the last thing that should be on your list. Someone I know who has a Q INSISTED on painting their car candy apple red. Well, they got their paint but the car still doesnt run as it should, and hasnt for almost 2 years now.

If you want a good paint job, expect to spend at least $4000 to have it done right. If you spend less, you are wasting your time. The factory infiniti paint is some of the best paint ever sprayed on an automobile, and if your paint is in good shape you are FOOLISH to spray some crappy $1000 paint over it. My Q has factory paint but some rough areas and I'm very torn on what to do since I dont want to repaint the car.

I take this stuff very seriously and I see way too many owners get in over their heads and give the car a bad name. The fact is, these cars are about as reliable and sturdy as any luxury car you could as for. The nice thing is that once theyre well sorted, very few random problems come up.

I dont want to say this to be haughty, but it someone reads this and thinks I'm crazy, they simply havent done the research required. Everything I'm saying is based on my experience and the experience of others.

Let me get to the bottom line and talk money. Since it doesnt sound like you are the wrench kind of person, we have to factor in labor. To get your car to feeling somewhat close to new, you will need to (all figures include a rough labor estimate)...

1. Recharge 4 main accumulators- 800
    2. Replace other suspension components (bushings)- 300
    3. Replace brakes- 400
    4. Replace every hose in engine compartment- 1000

After all of that, youll have a luxury car thats capable of traveling anywhere you want to go, moreover its a luxury car you'll WANT to take anywhere you want to go. I have many friends with Q's over 200k miles, a couple with over 300k, and another with a 1995 with almost 500,000 miles.

The active suspension is wonderful, I have an active in my driveway right now (working on it for a friend) and its simply one of the greatest cars ive driven (his has all 9 accumulators recharged), however if you dont know someone who knows them inside and out, then prepare to be disappointed. No one knows diddly about them, so diagnosing and fixing problems, albeit usually rare, can be quite the feat.

So, I'm telling you now, if you are not committed to the active suspension and all it has to offer, please get rid of this Q and get a standard one, but do not convert it! Otherwise, the Q's have a few issues but they're usually pretty easy to fix.

I encourage you to contact me sometime, I will help as much as possible but I do not check this regularly (nor will I likely ever post something this long and thorough again).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is a great post and I'm sure it will be helpful not only to ledheadmelli but to many other readers now and in the future. Thank you!

You might consider using the tracking feature to be notified by email of new postings. We really appreciate your input here.
  • gatekeepa1gatekeepa1 Member Posts: 4
    First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I just found it, and it's already been extremely useful. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute something useful, in time. My problem: the transmission shifts slowly from second to third gear .5-2 sec delay. this delay usually occurs consistently after the car is first started, but improves, and eventually goes away once it has warmed up. Is this normal? I bought the car used with 60k miles about 3 years ago...it now has 112k miles. I've had the transmission drained and refilled as part of the 110k service about 3 months ago. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.