Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    dhill3: What advantages did you find on the backup warning system you installed vs. the Poron? I am looking to install a warnign system on a 2001 Denali XL and liked the digital readout and audible signal of the Poron, but haven't made a purchase. How difficult to install was the Rostra system?

Isn't the Poron system also microwave technology?
  • dhill3dhill3 Member Posts: 11
    As I understand it, the Poron and other systems that have been out on the market for a couple of years use more of a "line of sight" or optically-based technology, which requires the sensing units to be visible from the rear-end of the vehicle. That, in addition to the more accurate and reliable sensing ability of the ROSS system is what sold me. I did, however, give up the digital readout feature offered with the Poron. My two cents - I don't want my eyes looking at a digital display on my dash while I'm backing up a 3 ton piece of steel. The tone warning (piezo unit) on the ROSS is okay but the three little (and I mean little) display lights (green, amber, red) that come with it are pretty lame!
    Installation was extremely easy and is well documented and supported by photos (specifically of the DXL) on Rostra's web site. Total installation time took me about 45 minutes. It probably could have taken 30 minutes, but I'm very particular.
  • bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    MBCLK430 Thank you for the lead on the grill emblem!!!

I purchased it today thru E & M Wholesale (1-800-924-0647) The cost was $64.95 + shipping. Looking forward to the new "look".

I also noticed today a slight ticking or knocking noise coming from the motor, has any one else noticed this. After reading post about Denali delivered with bad motor it's got me a little worried.
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    What's the web address for this system?
    mbclk430: the address for the ROSS system is
    www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm
    I'm sorry I didn't post that info in my previous message.
  • tag9tag9 Member Posts: 39
    I think you may find this somewhat of a wash.

I was in a Chev dealership recently and saw a loaded 2001 Burb which listed for over $47k. It did not, however, have a sunroof. It did have extra trim stuff such as lighted running boards, tailight covers, bug deflector, wood on the dash, steering wheel, etc. Very nice except, as I said, it was over $47k without a sunroof.

Note that this vehicle did not have some of the Denali XL features. For example, it had the 5300 engine. Further, unlike the Denali, it did not have audio controls on the steering wheel, heated second row seats, theater-dimming interior lights, projector-beam headlights, and a few other Denali-specific features.

In short, I think you'll find the price differential here to be a lot less than $9k. Of course, that's based on MSRP; your results may vary depending on the dealership. It's been my experience that the Chev folks have been much more willing to deal than their GMC brethren, at least in my area. My local GMC dealer obstinately refuses to budge, even a nickel, from MSRP.
  • stoli2stoli2 Member Posts: 6
    I know there has been some conversation of late regarding the billet grill for the yukon xl. Can someone list the url again where I may look at the grill emblem
    many thanks
    Mark
    Question for mbclk430: I noticed the grill emblem on the Denali has black painted plastic in the "voids" between the letters and inside the letters "G" and "C." The billet emblem has these voids open. What does it look like behind the original GMC badge when you pull it off and stick this new one on? Does the perforated chrome continue on behind the logo? or is there just a flat panel, and is that chromed? I just want it to look decent.

BTW, I just ordered the GMC polished aluminum billet grill emlem (13-1/4" x 3") for $60.00 + $4.75 shipping from www.trucknvan.com.
  • stoli2stoli2 Member Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me what my options are for a new 2001 yukon xl. Are there some aftermarket companies selling high polished wheels for the yukon or can anything be had from the dealer. If so what are some of the urls for the wheel companies
    thanks
    Our recent postings have been discussing billet grill emblems, not grills. You can find a picture of the emblem at www.empiremotorsports.com/Html%27s/Exterior%20Misc%20Accessories%20-%20Order%20Page.html
    This topic is for Denalis and DXL's. You might have more luck if you posted you query at
    GMC Yukon XL/Chevy Suburban - Topic consolidation (Part II) Just a suggestion...
  • dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    Heatwave 3 or any of your regulars, can you tell me if any aftermarket sunroof installer can retrofit the "better" qualities of the aftermarket roof to the factory install? By that, I mean can an aftermarket installer bring back the full climate control to the rear and offer one touch close or key out close of roof to the factory install? I'm having trouble finding and DXL withOUT a sunroof. I prefer the aftermarket qualities but will buy the factory hole in the roof if the changes can be made with a swap of a relay or other modest (low cost) changes. Also, requesting recommendations of low cost dealer to buy anywhere in the country. All the dealers seem to want to stick there co-op advertising fees to there low invoice pricing. My wife works for the airlines so I fly for free (in case you were wondering). Thanks...
  • willardh3willardh3 Member Posts: 18
    To: Dapetrun
    I have a new DX I/roof, I had spoken to the folks at Automotive Concepts, they are the provider to GM of the "factory sunroof", the person I spoke to (at their local store) said if you buy the truck w/o the roof, they can re-route the wires etc. when they put the roof in, but they could not "upgrade" the features to an existing roof. I did not press him on it, but got the impression he simply did not want to do it. I would agree, it should be mearly a relay or so to do.....

To: Heatwave
    I had the same company put in a ceiling mount TV/VCP, it seems to work great so far. I am kind of glad I don't have rear controls back their, for two reasons. 1) The location of the screen would then have to be so far back that the middle seat passengers would be only inches from the screen or looking sideways at it if sitting by the doors. 2) My children are not yet able to set the temp etc/leave buttons alone, even though I could override it up front, you can guess where this would lead.
    dapetrun: Just my guess but I think without some significant "surgery" its not likely you'll be able to add the rear controller with Climate control to a DXL with a factory sunroof. I am really pleased with the aftermarket sunroof, particularly the one touch close and auto close feature that's not available on the Factory unit. As the weather has slightly warmed up in the NorthEast I have begun using the sunroof.

Multiple times I have left it open to run an errand and it is comforting to know the auto close will "kick in" ten seconds after the ignition is shut off to close the sunroof automatically.

willardh3: My three kids are teen and pre-teens and its nice having them adjust the rear temp themselves. Still haven't figured out the best way to install an entertainment system. I really don't want to install small LCDs in the headrests (I have seen where screens in the headrests get scratched up since they are always exposed.) Considering two ceiling fold down units above the front headrests, but still evaluating the options.
  • willardh3willardh3 Member Posts: 18
    Heatwave3,
    For what it's worth, the ceiling mount screen we have is a 12" screen. When open, we basically eliminate the use of the rear view mirror (a drawback). However, our rule is the unit is only used on roadtrips, not around town.....regarding the controls, my kids (4) are pre-teen and still think Dad controls the universe...I think I will let them keep thinking that for a while.
  • cat1iacat1ia Member Posts: 16
    Just read an article in Wards Auto World about CM thinking of discontinuing the Yukon brand from GMC lineup and only carry the Denail line. Sounds like all sales of the yukon would go to chevy line as a need to consolidate products to save money I guess? Anyone else filmiler with this topic?
  • itsbishitsbish Member Posts: 3
    Most of these systems, such as the Poron ones, are ultrasonic based (like bats!), and not optical based as was previously mentioned. Those of you interested in learning more about these systems, please visit the Reverse warning systems topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. There you will find links and owner's experiences and pictures of various systems. Please feel free to contribute over there as well, so that the posts regarding this subject don't get "lost" (read: they'll be easier to find and refer to for future owners).

Since these systems seem to be a popular topic for Yukon XL and Suburban owners, not surprising considering the size and length of these trucks, I have added permanent link to the Reverse warning systems topic on the left hand column (in the additional resources box).

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jjorgensenjjorgensen Member Posts: 6
    Wednesday was the opening day of Turkey hunting in Kansas and I had my first oportunity to get my DXL offroad. About a two mile trec thur two creeks hub depth running water, some real rutted mud banks and a 200 foot rocky 20-25% grade foothill. All this to get back to the hunting after a 2 inch rain the previous day. Truthfully I was a little nervous and was not very popular with my wife as I only have 2000 miles on the DXL. The truck performed great. The AWD pulled thru the mud and ruts no spin outs at all and did the rock clime much better than my old 94 Burb. I couldn't be happier. I had a second skid plate installed over the back of the transmission just because of this one rocky incline cost was about $110.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Most of these systems (such as the Poron USA ones) are ultrasonic based, and not optical based as was previously mentioned. Those of you interested in learning more about these systems, please visit the Reverse warning systems topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. There you will find links and owner's experiences of various systems. Please feel free to contribute over there as well, so that the posts regarding this subject don't get "lost" (read: they'll be easier to find and refer to for future owners).

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host

OK All,
    The tire placard states 30 for both front and rear........the tire states 35.........but mines was delivered with 41-42. I depleted the air in all tires to the recommended 30 and the tires looked too FLAT. What does everyone else have in theirs?
  • don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    I think that if you read the tire again you will note that it states MAXIMUM tire pressure. This is not suggested as the proper normal cold tire fill level. Atleast that`s the way mine were marked. If it were mine I would keep below the 35 psi. Maybe 33 psi.
    Quite a few low profile tires look underfilled to me. I`ll bet you get about 6 more quick opinions on this one.
    Irv.
    don4341...........I understand that the tire states "maximum"........I assumed that was a given and everyone else would understand that too.....lol. You state "if it were mine." Do you own one? If so, what tire pressure do you have in yours? The are not low profile tires. This wasn't meant to be a debate.
  • jjorgensenjjorgensen Member Posts: 6
    Tire Pressure: mbclk430 same story on mine, I settled on 36psi after testing on several trips. Some earlier comments suggested that you always use the pressure on the door plate, however after driving at 30 then 35 and 40 I decided the ride and handleing were best inbetween. I didn't feel comfortable exceeding the recommened pressure on the tire. I haven't looked at the pressure on the 16 inch Firestone Wilderness AT that GMC uses as a spare on the DXL I supose they had to find some place to put them no one wants them on their trucks.
    Firestone Spare on Denali
    To jjorgensen:
    Did I read your post correctly? $45K for a luxury SUV and GM puts a piece of garbage rubber on it for a spare???!!! And not even the correct size at that! Anyone demand a switch from their dealer at contract signing? I can't imagine a dealership walking away from a deal over one lousy tire, literally!
  • bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    If you have not yet seen the polished wheels for 2001 Denali......there is a set on E-Bay for sale with a picture. Item # 580199571
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I just bought a 2001 Denali XL, summit white with gray interior. I paid $1000.00 over invoice in the chicago suburban area. The dealer had the vehicle i wanted, in the color i wanted. I drove it, fell in love with the thing, and the rest is history. It is going back to the dealer for the installation of a sunroof. I probably could have gotten a better deal, but didn't want to wait the 6 to 8 weeks if it had to be ordered. And, yes, I still am in Love with the beast.
  • king01king01 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know a wiring adaptor that will keep
    the low beams on while the highes are on too.
    king01: try the following site, truckautoaccessories.com, for an easy to install relay that will maintain the lo beams when the hi beams are turned on for all full size GM SUVs and pickups.

They also have a great relay to automatically turn on your fog lites with the lo beams and a relay to automatically unlock the doors when the vehicle is put in park instead of when the ignition is turned off. I installed all three relays in a 2001 Denali XL in about 90 minutes. I would highly recommend all three.
    HEADREST FIX?

I'm tired of my headrests coming undone. Has anyone found a solution to keep their's from coming undone? I feel like crazy glueing the darn things...
    If you have any tire questions, please feel free to discuss them in the Tires, Tires, Tires topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board.

Just FYI, the pressure stated on the tire (I assume it's 35psi from what was mentioned above) is the maximum cold tire pressure. This is the maximum pressure that the tire should be filled to after sitting overnight. I personally wouldn't exceed it by more than 1 psi.

The tires are purposely overinflated at the factory so as to prevent flatspots during delivery to the dealerships. They are not meant to be driven very much, which is why exceeding the maximum pressure is okay. The dealers are supposed to deflate them as part of the pre-delivery inspection, but in my experience the majority of them do not.

Drew
    Host
  • aaprinsaaprins Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm a newcomer to this board but have read the last couple of hundred postings to get a feel for the Yukon/Denali. I am currently driving a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport ( 2000 Inferno red ) and am very happy with it. Its comfortable with a lot of amenities and creature comforts as well as reasonable gas mileage.( Its my 3rd ). I,m looking ahead to my next vehicle and have decided that I will never purchase a car again ( I'm 6 ft,5 inches and the Dodge , with electric seats is very accomodating ) and will gravitate to either a Chrysler Town and Country ( wish they had sunroofs ), a Mercedes ML 320/420 or a Yukon/Denali. My brother in law's employment with GM will give me a good discount with the GM product which puts it significantly ahead of the others. I'm concerned with reliability and GM's seats. I've had other GM vehicles and their seats are pathetic,generally speaking. Most postings are concerned with aesthetic things rather than mechanical , at least not with majors like powertrain problems. I find that encouraging. Any comments from owners of T and C or Mercedes products?The Yukon is nice because of its size as I have 3 teenagers although gas consumption is a concern. Nonetheless I wont mind that if the consensus that this vehicle is dependable and has good longevity. Thanks in advance.
    aaprins, you may want to ask your questions in the Mercedes-Benz M-class discussion topic, as well as the Chrysler Town & Country discussion topic. FYI, the ML500 will replace the ML430 next year ('02). I think that MB products have generally been well known worldwide for their longevity. Perhaps others can comment on their Yukons and Suburbans.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Does anyone know if the bench can be replaced with the bucket seats? I would like the option to interchange them when deemed necessary.
  • safe1safe1 Member Posts: 16
    My wife and I ordered an '01 Denali 2 weeks ago and stipulated to the sales manager we would not accept the undersized Firestone spare if so equipped. His statement at the time was that the spare, "should be comparable to the tires mounted on the wheels". We will wait and see how our vehicle is equipped and dicker from there. I'll post the outcome.
    Here are two pics of my truck. Those of you who requested to see the Billet Emblem........here it is....

See my photo, denali-3 at PhotoPoint

See my photo, denali-4 at PhotoPoint
  • trailhoundtrailhound Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to thank everybody that has made a post for it helped me sleep better after ordering a 2001 black Denali with grey interior. Ordering it took 9 weeks to the DAY for delivery, but paying invoice as opposed to sticker (which is what all the dealers in town were demanding) was worth the wait. I'd also like to thank heatwave3 for the relay info, yes I ordered the 3 piece set and received before I got the vehical. Thanks to mbclk430 for the grill emblem, this too I ordered and recieved before the rig itself. I am planning an AV system and will keep everybody posted on its status. Thanks again to all of you!
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    I am real close to purchasing a White Denali off the lot for $1000 over invoice. I had read some posts earlier that some people were having engine problems. Has this problem been corrected? If so, what build date is safe to buy?
    You're welcome..........I'd be interested in the A/V info as well. I plan to add that to my rig before our trip to Disney World. Thanks.
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    Did this require cutting any wires? Does this impact the GM warranty? Having extra lighting for dark country roads, sounds like a good idea.
  • munchomuncho Member Posts: 14
    I have been trying to decide whether to buy a Yukon XL or a Denali XL. The Denali XL interested me due to more horsepower mostly. However, my father in law, who is a mechanical engineer, told me that the AWD system requires fluid transfers which bleed a lot of power and he thought that the Denali with the 6.0 would be more sluggish than the Yukon XL with the 5.3. That caught my attention because why pay extra for the 6.0 in the Denali if your not getting the extra horsepower of the 6.0 to the tires. It looks like my father in law was right: the 0-60 on the Yukon XL is 8.7 seconds and the Denali XL is 9.2 seconds. This is consistent with my test drive of both vehicles. The YXL had better acceleration than the DXL. I got the Denali XL figures from http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2000/November/200011_preview_gmc_yukon.xml

The Yukon XL figures are from the specifications in the Yukon XL 1500 section of Edmunds.com.
    Why not buy a sports car? A 1/2 second faster.......come on....I'll keep my DXL (and my AWD). I'm curious, how many things can YOU do in .5 seconds?
  • munchomuncho Member Posts: 14
    Regarding your sports car comment, all cars are compromises between performance, space, mileage etc. I just think the 0-60 comparison is interesting information and ought to be public knowledge, in light of all the talk of better performance of the Denali.

The 0-60 data shows that GM put the 6.0 in the Denali not to make it a muscle SUV, but to compensate for the power drain of the AWD. Buyers need to dig through the GMC marketing hype and realize they are not buying a faster or more powerful SUV in the Denali. The engine is more powerful, but it does not translate to more power to the tires, at least in a 0-60 comparison. Obviously fuel economy suffers too. If what you really care about most is AWD, and you are willing to pay $5,000 extra for it versus Auto 4WD in a YXL with autoride, then the Denali is a good choice for you.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I have seen a LCD tv screen that goes into the console. The thing is called a Convert-A-Console, made by Steel Horse. It replaces the factory console door with one that has a fold down screen in it. When not in use it spins around and drops into the door making it look factory for security reasons, this would solve your dilemma for the front, because of the overhead controls and sunroof. Price was $589 with VCP, if you wanted a TV tuner it was more. As far as the 3rd row seats go a drop down unit would work good there, and should be a pretty standard install. The console screen I saw was in a performance products catalog, no listing for Denali/XL but when I called to check on it they said it should be available by fall. The company is working on a door for the Denali/XL, because it is different from the Yukon/XL. Try these places.

http://www.newsales.com/tvconsole/convert_a_console_tv_console.htm

http://www.performanceproducts.com

http://www.stylinconcepts.com

Good Luck

• larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    Munch, I can understand what u are feeling re the extra horsepower not being put to the ground, but there is even a more important aspect, NEITHER vehicle is a dragster, nor do I think u will find the drivers of these vehicles racing each other from the stoplite. I bought the DXL because I liked the concept of AWD and felt it was the better choice for me. I had a 99 Tahoe LT 4 x 4 and loved it. However, i did notice when accelerating on snow with the 4 x 4 system, there was some slippage until the computer sensed the slip and completed the lockup. Certainly not a big deal by any means, but i felt the AWD was the more positive system, and it got rave reviews in its tests.
    jgmilberg: thanks for the info on the LCD and web sites. I'll be checking to see when they have the LCD that works with the DXL console.
    To Heatwave3: You might want to check out www.partsexpress.com. They have quite a selection of monitors and tuners and appear to have a higher quality of hardware than some of the other sites I've viewed. I've posted this a few weeks ago but someone removed my post. I guess they thought I was advertising my own site. I'm not affiliated, just thought all would appreciate the info. You've certainly provided enough info for the rest of us!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You would ordinarily get an email if one of your posts was deleted. We lost a bunch of posts on Fri. 13 due to a database crash and sometimes posts get "lost" when the server resets (or so I understand--who knows why?). Apologies.

In-vehicle TV/VCP Combos is another thread along these lines.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    the slab of coffee getting into the 'puter.
  • efsavageefsavage Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a denali in the next few months, but wanted to see if there were any details known about next years model, and if I should wait or not. I heard a rumor that GMC was adding a third set of suicide doors, but this seems unlikely. Any info/pics would be greatly appreciated.
    dapetrun: thanks for the web site on monitors. Much appreciated along with the feedback on info supplied in the past.I followed this site and other sites for about a year before posting which helped me in making my purchase of a 2001 Denali XL. Just trying to return the good deed of others before me.