Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos New Owners' Reports

Comments

• amyinbuffaloamyinbuffalo Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any issues with the Volkswagen EOS top itself? My top stopped working mid-air and wouldn't close or open! I had to call a flatbed truck via VW roadside assistance to have it taken to the Dealership. 2 weeks later, I had the car back for only 30 hours and it happened AGAIN!

I have googled stuff up and down on issues with the actual hard top, but I can't find anything! The Dealership themselves have never seen this issue before either.

I am petrified to drive the car anywhere thinking that the top will not close or open for me and I've only had the car for THREE MONTHS! It's a 2009.

Has anyone esle had similar experiences?

-Amy
  • eos_owner99eos_owner99 Member Posts: 3
    Ours is a 2008, had it almost 2 years, no roof operational issues yet (knock on wood). In reading the manual, the only rule we try to follow is opening and closing it on level (or close to it) ground.
  • eosinseattleeosinseattle Member Posts: 9
    i feel your pain Amy. in fact, when i got my EOS, i leased it, figuring that roof etc issues would ultimately not be my problem.
    yours is the first i've heard, but i'm not at all surprised. if you financed your purchase or lease thru VW, make sure the finance arm knows of your misery. VW credited my lease a month's worth of payments for the 30+ days my EOS was down with transmission issues.
    Thanks for the reply... you are the only one who has replied so far. I cannot find anyone in the whole world who has had this issue! Now VW is telling me that they need to put a BRAND new top on the car! IT'S 3 MONTHS OLD! And (this is the best part) they are telling me that because it's such a big job that I MAY BE responsible for the costs! I DON'T THINK SO! The top is $8,000! and the labor costs will probably be $2,500 - $3,000! I am so upset about all of this. I couldn't sleep all weekend.
  • dakso99dakso99 Member Posts: 1
    I had my 2008 1 week- was parked on a slant at work and the same thing happened! Got stuck half up with oil squirting out the top. Had to have it flat-bedded to the dealership. I called up flipping out and they finally agreed to fix it-(back seat is stained from the oil) and give me a rental car for the week it took to fix it. Had no problems since with that, but so many little problems other than that I think I will go back to the audi next time.
  • gjusticegjustice Member Posts: 3
    Yes, this is an issue. My EOS 2008 LUX has had top issues and transmission issues. The lurch when you take your foot off the brake while in drive is a design defect. Mine has been repaired by putting new transmission in after discovering leak at 10,000 miles. VW paid all of it.

You should not be liable for a penny on the top. Covered by warranty. INSIST.

My top issue has been resolved by installing new guide wires.
    If car is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles on it the following applies:

Out of service for 30 days OR

Same repair done 3 times or more.

Consult a lawyer online under Lemon Law for your state.

Ask VW to buy back the car and make you whole for window tinting, licenses and any other stuff you added.
    It's a design defect. Have dealer install new modified transmission. Problem goes away.
  • ubflossnubflossn Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 2009 eos and although my actual top is not a problem(yet) i am having a terrible time with other things. the place where the actual top goes into the front window frame leaks like crazy. also when you put the top up the windows are all supposed to go up too except my back drivers side window always goes back down about 1/2 way and i usually don't notice it until i'm walking away from the car then have to go back inside and put it up. also i had a problem with some type of emmissions leak and the gas cap or gasket or something needs replaced. right now it's in the garage (has been for 8 days now) for them to replace some mechanism inside the back window that they say they have never had to do on an eos before so i'm hoping that does it. however, if it keeps leaking i'm going to go nuts. the last new car i bought was an impala and they needed to replace the subframe after only 10,000 miles and i'm afraid i'm in for the same thing with this car. i've only had it 2 months but unless the top is down, i'm not really loving it!
    " unless the top is down, i'm not really loving it! "

I couldn't agree with you more!!

I have to take it to the dealship tonight to have them look at my windows and why they rattle so much. UGH.

I also wanted to let you know that my back window goes down half way as well, so you're not alone in that aspect!
  • pkanyapkanya Member Posts: 1
    I've been freaking out too. My Eos is a lease as well. I've had it for a year and a half, and in the last year the top has worked maybe 60% of the time. Mine freezes when it says the "boot lid swings out." And I guess I'm fortunate that at least it'll go back down so I don't have to get it towed. But the obnoxious thing is it seems like whenever I take it in because the top freezes, it works for them. So then they tell me there's nothing they can do because it works fine, which is so frustrating! I really don't know what to do because it seems ridiculous to pay what I'm paying for a convertible that doesn't always work. What are our options?
  • nanreynnanreyn Member Posts: 11
    I have a 3 month old 2009 EOS. Replying to several message here, my back windows also go up and then back down when the top is put back up. It is now in the shop for the third time. Of course, the windows behaves perfectly when I take it in for service making it difficult to diagnose the problem. Has anyone out there found a solution to this issue?
  • purpledoorpurpledoor Member Posts: 1
    on 5/5/09 purchased new eos at a hefty price as we all know - have had continual problems with leaking roof - 3 repairs later i still take a bath when running car through car wash - was told today not to run it through a car wash - i work 6 days a week and if i knew i had to hand wash this car would not have bought it!!!! also asked (cause I can't find it) where disclaimer is in owners manual that says car has to be handwashed only - no answer. also asked the dealership why they did not tell me and was told that i should know this because of the type of car. EXCUSE ME previously owned a Mercedes SLK230 which is same retractable top and NEVER had a problem. Now am stuck with a $31,000.00 piece of junk - anyone got any ideas for me?
    Stop everything you are doing and call VWUSA and COMPLAIN! I have had a few problems with my new eos, but I think they have all been taken care of. I placed that call to VWUSA and told them that for $31,000, I expected a quality car, and would not be satified until I got one. They could either fix my car or get me a new one. My car is now fixed, and I am totally enjoying driving it.
    Hang in there!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    The mere fact that they tried to repair it 3 times means it is NOT supposed to do that. Contact a lemon lawyer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rob60657rob60657 Member Posts: 6
    Have you had the sealant procedure done? There was plenty of talk on edmunds about roof leaks and this VW product. Some kind of non-silicone glop they apply to the rubber gaskets wherever the roof meets the body. I've had the stuff applied twice a year since I bought my 2.0 T in '07 which, because the economy was a lot better, I paid close to $40K for. My top doesn't leak but I wouldn't use a drivethrough carwash in any case. The water pressure is too high. The handwash I go to, at $19.95, knows how to train the water properly for any kind of convertible. I read up on the Eos prior to purchasing it and, despite all the many complaints and talks of lemon laws, I bought it anyway because it's just so cool.
  • robrexrobrex Member Posts: 1
    Could not say enough GREAT COOL AWESOME GRAND STUPENDOUS HOT TOTALLY SUPERB things about my Eos. Previous owner LOVED this car and kept it in tip top shape. I praise god for babies,she got pregnant and needed a mommy car, so i was able to adopt my new baby the Eos. Not a single problem with it's functionality. I'm looking the improve the Navi/Stereo in it. :)
  • trackulatrackula Member Posts: 10
    That's great news, we get so used to negative posts in this forum. As with you, we have an 07 that has been a flawless car. We also keep it in top shape and have never had a problem with 25,000+ on the odometer. Keep it up.
  • sunloversunlover Member Posts: 9
    Starting to have similar problems with my 2008.
    This started with an "accident in the trunk". Transporting toilet bowl cleaner (and groceries) home, and some of the tbc spilled. I cleaned it up as best I could the next day, but the leftover vapors corroded every hinge, cable, lever, etc inside the trunk (where all the conv-top mechanism lives). One day a few weeks later, the top went half way down and stopped. VW dealer assessed the damage and gave me an estimate of "$15,000 plus" . . . fortunately, State Farm covered this under my comprehensive policy. Four weeks later, I got the car back.
    Four weeks after that, the top failed to work: "Convertible Top Fault: Workshop" appears in the message center. Dealer has had it four days now.
    moral to the story: don't spill any chemicals in the trunk!
    What a story! The issues with my top were sucessfully resolved. I had a nasty rattle coming from the top. The bolts in the top assembly just needed tightening. It sounds like your issue here is with the toilet bowl cleaner, not the Eos. Vapors that are that corrosive will eat through anything. Let us know what product did the damage so we can all stay away from it. Did you think you might have a law suit against the manufacturer of the toilet bowl cleaner? If the stuff leaked in your trunk, then the packaging must have been faulty. Something that nasty should be packaged accordingly, don't you think?

Anyway, I will be extra careful not to put anything in my Eos that can cause that kind of damage. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
    The TBC had an in-trunk collision with a watermelon.
    But they replaced every blessed cable, hinge, screw, pulley, pump, piston and lever in the mechanism, including the entire top ($6,000 alone). Now there are continuing problems because the dealer doesn't seem to be able to set it up exactly like the factory did.
    Currently, it's spending its fourth day in the shop, and they can get the top down, but not far enough so that the trunk lid closes. Only 8,000 miles on the car.
  • gdhowellgdhowell Member Posts: 1
    Windows go partially up and down, I can hear the door locks chattering in both doors.  It's happening so much it's like driving in a clown car or as someone else mentioned - a posessed one.  Front windows also roll up in an outward manner and then you can't shut the door or lock the car because it can't close that last gap.Had it to the dealer twice now - the first time they "adjusted" the windows; this time they "can't replicate the problem".  My little EOS is sitting at the dealership until they can do so.  I can't keep driving back and forth in rush hours to drop it off and pick it up.
    Has anyone had this problem or found the solution? I think it's all computer related.
    Thanks.
    Follow up on the top problem: after six days, finally got my car back. The problem that was so perplexing was due to an "assembly error" during the replacement of the top (from the chemical spill).
    The sensors located in the A-pillar (that sense if the forward corners of the top are in-place) were installed upside down. This caused a "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" syndrome.
    My career in the design of commercial lighting equipment tells me that someone didn't think enough about this possibility. The rule is, if you can't design some physical "trick" into the part (so that it can't go in backwards, or upside-down) then you stamp "top" or "left" onto the part. I guess they don't teach this in engineering schools anymore.
  • smawleysmawley Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2008 EOS have been fighting with volks in regards to my oil consumption,I also doing the cunsumption test , what a joke because in the end they will tell me a litre of oil per 2000 km is acceptable sorry not acceptable to me, Going to take it to the media (trouble shooters) I have a friend who also owns a 2008 eos hers does not use oil how does that work if its normal shouldnt they all use oil. I also found out it was using oil when my light went on 2 litres it was down, that is so hard on a new motor,we need to get together and fight this is rediculous we bought new cars and when the engine goes then what. :lemon:
  • stacysofreshstacysofresh Member Posts: 1
    I AGREE. I have to say I just got my car recently and I haven't had enough time to really experience "problems." But so far I love this car. I think it drives smooth, and in my opinion Volkswagen is a trust worth company that makes reliable cars. Sometimes I think it does take a little time to pick up speed, but once it gets going, it does go..

I mean for the price, I think what it offers is a good deal.
    You should have a compression test done on your EOS (you neglected to state whether yours is the 4-banger or the V6). Once in a great while, the manufacturer forgets to install one of the rings on a piston. Saw this happen on a Corvette V8 back in the 1960's . . . small chance, but a compression test would tell you very quickly if the oil is disappearing up the cylinder wall.
    FYI: my opinion . . . two litres down on the oil would be worse for the 2.0T (turbo's are much more sensitive to ANYTHING wrong with the oil). :shades:
    I have had my 2009 for 6 months now. We got off to a rocky start with some lose bolts in the top, a couple of crimpled wires, and a rear window that seemed to have a mind of its own! All my issues were sucessfully resolved and my EOS has been living up to its promise. This car is just so much fun for the price! There are unfortunately quality control issues with these cars when they come off the assembly line. This is something VW really needs to address. The good news in my case is that my dealership has one of the highest rated VW mechanics in the country. He stays with an issue until he gets it resolved. Anyway, I am loving this car, and as of today, am pleased with the decision to purchase it.
  • king11king11 Member Posts: 8
    Seriously considering buying a new Eos but concerned about quality issues. I want to buy from a dealer who will stand behind the product and provide quality service. Will anyone provide a recommendation?
    My eos has oil consumption problem they are telling me a litre of oil per 1000km is acceptable, be careful ask about this issue see what they say.I am fighting with VW right now because this is nota acceptable to me. Few other problems which they never seem to fix.Good luck
    Thanks for you reply, it is a 2.0T I will ask them to do a compression test.
    First, realize that the EOS, Cadillac XLR, Pontiac G6 convert, and Mercedes and BMW with convertible hardtops are all mechanically similar in the fact that there's a ton of cables, pivots, pulleys, hinges, pistons, hydraulic rams, pumps, electronic sensors, and miles of wire. All these things are to some degree sensitive to corrosion, and are probably not ALL made of stainless steel. Corrosion-resistant coatings are only so good, and if you live in a salt-spray atmosphere, you may want to re-think ANY hard-top convertible.
    As for the dealer, find out what training THE convertible top technician has, and ask for customer references. The one in Evanston, IL can get the problem solved, but it has taken multiple visits and multiple days on each visit. And my EOS only has 9000 miles on it. And Lake Michigan is NOT salt-water.
  • shoneosshoneos Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 vw eos and having the same issue. My eos did not burn any oil until I hit 45k, now it is burning a quart of oil every 1400 miles. Not low enough to qualify for VW to actually do anything about it. It is troubling to know that some do and some do not burn oil and they do not see this as a problem. It really ticks me off knowing I paid 36k for a new modern automobile that burns oil so quickly. I do not recommend an eos to anyone. Hopefully more will complain and we can get a recall on these engines.
    Well, if this is typical for the 2.0turbo, then nearly every Jetta, EOS and Audi A4 have similar issues.
    Anyone owning this engine should read up on "Recommended oil for turbos" . . . very enlightening. Basically, turbos produce lots more heat than any other engine, they like CLEAN oil, and they like the proper VOLUME of oil (they don't like even a quart low) . . . and you might re-think the 5,000 mile oil-change interval, besides using only the best 100% synthetic oil available. But you should read up on this yourselves, and don't take an old hot-rodder's word for it. :shades:
  • peterborough07peterborough07 Member Posts: 1
    My experience with owing an Eos has been frustrating. Primarily at first issues at the dealership not doing their job and not having a clue how to work the stereo system or even that my system did not have a 6 disc cd changer. Getting an operational system took me multiple trips to the dealership.

My current frustration is these windows. They appear ice and snow free however they will not close (typically remain open about 1.5 inches), sometimes they will close, sometimes one will close and the other not. This car creaks and groans terribly in cold weather yet I was assured that this was a great car for winter. Also the trunk lid only opens if it is not too cold out.

Just to note, as in a few other posts, I did have leaking, quite seriously, from my windows. It took 2 trips to get it repaired however it is now winter and I cannot test their work.

I love to drive the car in the summer but it has been nothing but a pain, so far, in the winter.
    As I noted in my post #147, I live in the Boston area where we get plenty of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Are you by any chance in Peterbourough N.H.? If so please contact me @ r.kingsley@comcast.net

I'm close to placing an order for a 2010 Eos.
  • eosinseattleeosinseattle Member Posts: 9
    The EOS is not a wet weather car either! the lack of a drip edge ensures my (driver) left leg gets soaked as the "smart" window's crack open when opening/closing the doors. No 2000 vintage vehicle should burn oil... my Saab turbo from 1980's didn't burn, neither should a 2000 VW!!

Read the owner's manual! it reminds all of us suckers to check the oil EVERY Fillup! My mom's 1965 Buick doesn't burn as much as my German beast!
  • superdogstevesuperdogsteve Member Posts: 11
    It really is a fun car to drive... I miss mine. I would recommend that anyone buying, skip the 2.0 and get the 6 cylinder and they won't have the oil issue.
    I test drove a 2019 Komfort saturday. The outside temp. was 21 deg. F We went over typical winter city streets, with bumps, and potholes. Not a peep from the top. The car was as quiet as a solid foof coupe. BTW, the dealer told me that for the 2010 models, VW has extended the maintenence period from 5000mi. to 10000mi.
    After reading the articles I've googled on oil requirements for Turbo engines, I don't even believe the 5,000 mile intervals . . . and I'm checking the oil level (dipstick) more often. If the oil level gets a quart low, you've lost over 15% of the job the oil does in COOLING the engine (yes, it does more than lubricate).
    I'd like to know what kind of roof-gasket treatment they use at your dealer. I've used Armor-all on the roof gaskets and it works well, but not perfectly (occasional peeps).
    I am not quite sure what its called , but I bought a tube of it at the dealership. They say you should lube all the rubber everytime you wash the car.
  • cars0153cars0153 Member Posts: 45
    Any ideas on lease pricing for a luxury model 18k a year?
  • apthomas99apthomas99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Peterborough07,

I live in Columbus, OH and am currently driving my car to my local dealer about once a week for the exact same window problem. Of course when I get there, they can never seem to "duplicate the problem". It is, however, giving them an adaption error code when they hook it up to the computer. This has been an ongoing problem for me for months now, and only seems to happen on days when the temp drops below freezing.

This is only the first of a long string of problems I have had with this car. If anyone were seriously considering purchasing an EOS, I would definitely research before doing so. While it is fun to drive in the summer, the aggravation during winter months far supercedes the fun.

April
  • woobegonewoobegone Member Posts: 21
    I love my '08 Eos (2.0T base model)! Bought it from Capitol VW in San Jose 09/27/2008 and I now have 15,000 miles on it. It's my daily driver. Only one problem: optical defect in both front side windows. VW of Boise, where I live, got VW rep to look at it and he agreed they needed to be replaced. It was done quickly, without any problems. No other issues with the car. I had synthetic oil change at 5K and have added 2 quarts in the last 10K miles. NO issues with the top, no leaks or rattles (and, I confess, I still haven't done the seal lubrication that's recommended). Gets fairly cold here in Idaho but I haven't had any of the cold-related problems that have been mentioned in this forum. Got the notice from VWoA in Dec. about the DSG tranny jerkiness and the upcoming campaign for a fix, but my tranny has been working fine, on the whole. Sorry to hear others have had so many problems, but at least some Eos are doing fine.
  • trackulatrackula Member Posts: 10
    30,000 miles and almost 2 years on ours and no issues at all. Glad to hear yours is doing well also. This has been a great car so far. It is a base model daily driver with the 6 speed manual. Oil consumption is 1/2 qt. at about 5,000 miles. I lube the top seals twice yearly, spring and fall.
  • younona1307younona1307 Member Posts: 2
    Imagining the future EOS, starting from this;
    A slightly larger, more luxurious coupe cabriolet,
    see more on topspeed.com
    Where can I see the the color combinations avaible for the 2010 Lux? The VW web site does not show the gold color that I thought was to be offered.
  • mimosa203mimosa203 Member Posts: 1
    Just a few days ago I experienced the same problem with the driver side window. It is just below freezing outside and when I get into the car in the morning or in the evening the driver side window does not lower itself. This means when I close the door the window is open on the side. After driving ( and warming up ) for a few miles I can now lower, then raise the window again. I had the 2009 EOS since December of 2008 and this is the first time I have this happen. I'm going to call the dealer on this window issue - this should not happen.

The roof is squeaky in cold weather until the car warm up, after that does not make any noise.
    I had similar problems with ice/snow. After getting it looked at, the VW Tech asked me "where do you keep your ice scraper?" An odd question, but he advised me to keep the scraper in the trunk or in my house: because you need to remove all the ice around the margins of the window before pressing the "unlock" button. This includes (I know this is a pain) taking a credit card and slipping it in between the window and the gasket at the bottom . . . and even pounding on the window (around the gaskets) to make sure everything is "unstuck". It's a little overboard-sounding, but I've not had a single problem since, Chicago winters included.
    I keep my ice scraper in the trunk, and so far, it hasn't frozen shut on me.
    This is a great tip, and makes perfectly good sense. We all know the EOS windows can be finicky on a warm sunny day. From now on, I am going to make sure I have an ice scraper in the house as well as the car.
  • voxgatewayvoxgateway Member Posts: 1
    Well, the top finally got me...

I bought my EOS in July 2009 and LOVE IT!!!

Unfortunately someone on the assembly line (VW tells me) in portugal left a shim used in the assembly process inside my roof. This shim came loose and caused all kinds of havoc to the inner workings of the top. It's a damn shame because the top had worked flawlessly up until that point with no rattles and NO leaks whatsoever...
    Now my baby eos is in the shop. I am fortunate that I am being taken care of by one of the best VW dealers in the US (Donaldson's VW in Sayville, NY). They apologized for the problem and assured me that my roof would be repaired in a couple of days at no cost to me, they even gave me a routan as a loaner.

I love my Eos, and as long as the top gets fixed I will continue to be happy with it.

LOVE THIS CAR!!! LOVE IT!!!