Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen
For current leasing information, go to 2015 Volkswagen Eos Lease Questions

Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Volkswagen Eos. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Prices Paid Forum

Comments

• sabba7sabba7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

What leasing information is available for the new EOS.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi sabba7. The Eos is selling fairly well. As a result, Volkswagen is not providing much in the way of lease support on it right now. To give you an idea of what its current lease program is like I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Eos 2.0T with 15,000 miles per year are .00312 and 62%. respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • houstontxmobhoustontxmob Member Posts: 56
    Ha. I wish this is the TRUE quote they would have gave me over the weekend when I was in the West Houston VW dealership.

The following was what they quoted for me and nonetheless, I am EXTREMELY disappointed.

For a MSRP $36,185 Eos 2.0T:

For Lease,
    $680/month for 48 months with first month as downpayment.

For Finance,
    $700/month for 72 months finance with $1K as downpayment.

All these quotes were excluding TT&L.

Yeah right, they are increasing the price over $10K on this vehicle. I don't think anyone should paid that price tag for a VW, no offense. And the Sales Asso. even suggested that I would consider to get a fake leather one instead. How insulting!!
  • jefhackjefhack Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone,
    Could someone share the lease rate and residual on a Eos 2.0T, 12K miles (or 10K), 36 month term?

My wife is very hot for this car but I have a feeling there's no lease deals to be had right now. Thanks!
    I had my EOS 2.0T with Sport Package leased since last Oct. My lease is $625/ month, 12K for 36 months with $2K down. I think I must have paid a little too much considering that now on VW website, they have a $405/month for the EOS base. I suppose you can try your local VW delaerships and see if they are offering that or not.
  • jefhackjefhack Member Posts: 20
    Thank you Houstontxmob. Just checked that offer on vw.com. Looks like a 62% resid is being used, and the lease factor is much higher than what i'm seeing for a 3 series, for example. Ouch...
    Hi jefhack. I'd be happy to give you an idea of what this car's lease program is currently like (great car BTW :)). Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 VW Eos 2.0T with 12,000 miles per year are .00297 and 59%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Why is it that you can go anywhere else and get a 30-40k car and get fairly low payments, but you go and get an EOS, even the 29k model, and your already in the $500's payment range, I have gotten 2 quotes, one for 31k $620month, $660month on the 35k, seriously, prices are so high right now, I have only seen 1 out on the road, people are not buying them, because the price is so high. If VW wanted to promote them and increase sales, then giving them a better lease or buying deal would help alot. When the dealership did give me that quote they told me that the car would be gone the next day, guess what, the car was there on the lot for 2 weeks.

I really want an EOS, but I have an 06 accord, and the 08 model is coming soon, so EOS or Honda??? both good cars, but not willing to get robbed with my EOS. You might as well drive a fully loaded BMW for that price. The salesmen had the nerve to tell me that I would have to put 5-7k down to get my payment to about $400 a month on an EOS. Hey why not, take all my money. Ill have my eos, but I'll have to live in it too.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    ??? are you referring to lease or purchase? I guess lease since this is a lease board.

The purchase of ANY $30k car will put you at $600/mo. If it doesn't then its either got a promotional interest rate or it ain't $30k.

Leases vary due to widely differing residuals and manufacturer-backed rates. You certainly won't find good rates on a new hot car. As far as EOS residuals, I don't know what they are or even what they would base them on. Might be based on Jetta residuals for now. Only time will dictate if those should be raised or lowered.

So its not that the price of the vehicle is high, its just that there are no incentives.

I had this same problem when i went to look at a new jetta diesel last year. salesman told me it would be cheaper to buy than to lease. I got a loaded V6 accord for about $150/mo less instead.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If you look at other Car manufacturers, you will notice that you CAN get a 30k plus car for a MUCH better deal than this EOS. Your right the lack of lease deals and inflated pricing does effect your payments, there not offering any good residuals, or lease deals on this car, but I have noticed and if you look at other leasing questions in other car posts, they are getting like 35k cars for less than an EOS payments. It is because the EOS is such a hot car, but I have noticed the EOS stay on the lot for awhile, therefore they are not moving too fast. VW dealers are inflating the pricing high, and by going to multiple dealers, youll get a better deal. The EOS is a hot car, but not for 500-700payment. But going into the 30k's on price does not have to be in the 600's or even the 500's. Look at other leases, and even some 30k+ cars with no lease deals are not close to the payment of the EOS. I will not get the EOS, because of the pricing. You would be better off purchasing this car, Also you would be able to resell it, because it is so hot.

I have been calling local dealerships, and asking how much is would take to get into a non base model EOS for $400month, like how much down. I just get the run-around.
    well, since there are no lease deals to be had, you can figure it out using a bank's numbers.

For instance, leasecompare.com tells me that an EOS 2.0T sport (msrp $35,385) for 36 months at 12k miles per year has a $0 down payment of $617. I'd apparently need to put about $6000 down to get my payment to $435.

This particular bank is using about a 54% residual and .00258 money factor.

For comparison, that same bank is offering a 51.25% residual for the same term on a new 335i, 55% on a G35 coupe, and 53% on an S2000. Money factor doesn't change.

So without manufacturer support or discounts, I'm not sure what comparably priced car you'd find cheaper.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• eos3point2eos3point2 Member Posts: 3
    I've just got the EOs 3.2 very happy at first. Two weeks later, car suddenly stopped. Towed back to dealer, told electrical problem. Change battery. Got the car back, First car wash, water leaking through the roof. Car back to dealer for service. Got the car back, car stopped again, back to dealer, :sick: Got the car back, Water still leaking. What to do??? Leasing so expensive for this kind of product??? Be careful when consider buying this car. Never pay too much for it. won't worth the money. Lease should be: $400/month for 36 months + $2500 down for the 2.0
    $450/month for 36 months + $3000 down for the 2.T
    $500/month for 36 months + $3500 down for the 3.2
    (allowance: 36K miles and 20c per extra mile.)
    Can't come close to this kind of deal. Don't deal or will Regret like me. GOOD LUCK. REMEMBER DON'T BE FOOLED BY SELER. DO YOUR HOMEWORK ONLINE AT WWW.VW.COM OR SEARCH ONLINE.
    Was that the dealer quoting you all those figures? I have yet gotten anywhere close on those quotes you have.

thanks

sorry about your EOS, The EOS is a hot car, but really its not worth the amount of money every month. Plus, you have to remember that as soon as the warranty is up, its going to have a long list of potiential problems, with all the moving parts, Look at your car, it is already having problems, I am not sure the EOS is ready for the long Haul. Its like the BMW convertible, its sooo overpriced. You'd be better off getting another car.
    I was considering the EOS, but not anymore, its not worth the hassle of even getting one. 4-6k down to get what you want? no way!
    Per your quotes,"...Lease should be: $400/month for 36 months + $2500 down for the 2.0; $450/month for 36 months + $3000 down for the 2.0T; $500/month for 36 months + $3500 down for the 3.2 (allowance: 36K miles and 20c per extra mile.)..."

the monthly payments will yield to the same amount as $525-$650 if there's no money down.
    That's not the dealer quotes. That's what it should be according to the "Special Offer" at www.vw.com
    Do a research, you'll see some dealers even sell it below MSRP since nobody are willing to pay more for the EOs. Its first year, problems will show up. I love the car honestly. It's a smart designed and it has the look :blush: too. It's just overpriced. If you love the car, try to find a good deal, you'll be happy. Don't pay to much for it though. Good Luck :)
    PS: 2T is the best choice. 3.2 too expensive,almost the same with 2T. And the 2.0 too weak. ;)
    PS: 2T is the best choice. 3.2 too expensive,almost the same with 2T. And the 2.0 too weak. ;)

??? wait, you think the 2.0 is too weak, but the 2.0T model is the best choice???

Am I misunderstanding what you mean by "weak"? I'm thinking you mean the engine, no?

I should'nt say that. Sorry!!! What I meant was, 2.0T will give you extra horse power if needed (When Turbo kits in)
    EOs's a hot sport car, more power more respect :shades:
    but did you know the base and the 2.0T have the same engine?

The T in this case, I don't believe, means Turbo ... because the 2.0 also has a turbo. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the T stands for Touring.

• nmkevnmkev Member Posts: 5
    I note on the VW web-site that there seems to be a special offer (see below). Now I realize this is a base model and additions are going to affect the overall lease cost. My question is this a fairly good deal. Hard to tell what the "magic" dealer negotiable numbers are.

From web-site:
    2007 Eos with Manual Transmission*
    $399/Month
    36-Month Lease
    $2,874.00 Due at Signing
    (excluding destination, taxes, title, options, and dealer charges)

Or, see your local VW dealer for one of the many other great lease deals available on Eos.
    ©2007 Volkswagen of America, Inc. *U.S. cars only. Based on MSRP of $28,110.00 for a 2007 Eos with manual transmission, excluding title, taxes, destination, options and dealer charges. Monthly payments total $14,364.00. Dealer contribution required, $413.29. Purchase option at lease end for $17,250.00. For all offers at lease end lessees responsible for $0.20/mile over 36,000 miles and for damage and excessive wear. Dealer sets actual prices. Lessee responsible for insurance. Closed-end lease offered to highest qualified customers by Volkswagen Credit through participating dealers. Supplies limited. Offers end May 31, 2007. Additional charges may apply at lease end. See your Volkswagen dealer for details or call 1-800-DRIVE-VW.
    well, just need to do some reverse math here. Its a bit of an odd number, but I come up with a 61.34% residual, which SHOULD apply to all models (but may even be higher on an automatic). Since it says "dealer contribution of $413.29," I assume that means they are selling it to you for $413.29 off sticker. You might be able to do better than that.

I could work out the money factor with edmunds lease calculator, but I'm sorry to say I can't do that right now. If you give it a shot and come up with the number, please post it.

• nmkevnmkev Member Posts: 5
    Well I played with numbers and could not get them to match via the Edmunds calculator. The offer expires tomorrow so I think I'll wait until end-of-June anyway.

Thanks!
    Hey nmkev. Volkswagen's current lease program for the 2007 Eos, which is a really cool car BTW, is not very good. Its buy rate lease money factor is currently .00305, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 7.32%. The best way to get a good deal on this model right now is to shop around with a few dealers for the lowest possible selling price and then have the one that gives you the most attractive price calculate your monthly payment using the above money factor.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • cambrocambro Member Posts: 18
    So I've decided to take the plunge and get a new car. I like the versatility of the Eos/Mini Cooper (both have sunroof/convertible option), but the prices are jaw-dropping (no pun intended). I like the Eos more for the hardtop feature and after driving the Mini Cooper the visibility is dangerous IMHO.

The Edmunds lease v. buy calculator tells me to buy the Eos since I can get a 60 month car loan for 5.5%, yet I'm concerned about purchasing the Eos. The forum posts seem to suggest that Eos' initial year quality has been hit/miss. That weighs in favor of leasing since I can then evaluate the car for 3 yrs before committing to buying. Not to mention that leasing should run me about $100-150 cheaper per month.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    :) You have said them all...
    I was all excited about the EOS and wanted to see if I could get into one, but their pricing is absolutely insane. Dealers say that they move out quickly, but if they really did, I would see more of them. The numbers for this car are unreasonable, considering it is a fun car, but really where do you draw the line when it comes to pricing. Leasing is a bad way to go in a way, you can finance and more than likely pay less a month, because lease numbers are so bad. But then again VW probably considers this car a major luxary, and not worried about volume, rather than they worry about the cost. I gave up on the EOS. I would lease this car, you never know what will happen after the warranty is up. They told me, that if I wanted a $350 payment, I would have to put down like 4-6k!! Uh, NO!
    Dealers say that they move out quickly, but if they really did, I would see more of them.

Well, it goes both ways. Whether you see alot on the road depends also on manufacturer volume. The question is, are there alot sitting on the dealer's lot? If not, then he is apparently telling the truth.

Car_Man,

I was offered $445 a month on a lease, 36mth ,12 with about 2k down. This is the automatic, the manual would be $399, I am really thinking that it is very possible to get in the $300's and be realistic, meaning the dealer is still making a profit. I told the dealer, the only way I would do the deal is if I am able to get into the $300's range, the internet manager said it was very possible, plus if I put down $3k, possibly 4k. Which I know its not suggested to put alot of money down, but it would be the only way to lease this car for me. I'll take the chance. Please let me know what you think. Money factor, and residuals bad on this car. You can get a 38,000 acura with 2,500k down in the $400's , so something is off a bit.

Thanks alot!
  • skinnydogskinnydog Member Posts: 20
    ALG lists this car as the 2008 residual value winner on its web site for the sports car category. I would expect that to translate into high residual values for leasing. Does anyone know if this bars out in reality? Also, does anyone know the current money factor on VW lease deals for the EOS?
    Hi skinnydog. This car's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 VW Eos 2.0T with 15,000 miles per year are .00236 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • lamusiclamusic Member Posts: 28
    CarMan -

I notced above that you posted the December Money Factor for the 2008 EOS at .00236. That is good news for me, but I have a question.

I went into Santa Monica VW today hoping to lease a 2008 VM EOS. I have a friends & family certificate, which specifies that they will sell me the car at dealer invoice and with the most attractive lease terms. I was quoted a MF of .00301 for the car. I thought it was a bit high and I left. I don't know much about these certificates (I have a family member who just works on the marketing side). Do you know if they are required to honor the .00236 that you mentioned?

Also, I was quoted a 62% residual percentage for a 3 year 10k/mo lease - does that sound right to you?

Thanks!
    rate can be marked up by the dealer, and it also depends on your credit.
    i would try another dealer, personally.

• lamusiclamusic Member Posts: 28
    Car_man -

What is the residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 VW 2.0T Komfort with 10k miles a year? 12k?

THANKS!
    Hi lamusic. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T with 12,000 miles per year are .00151 and 60%, respectively. The money factor for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be the same, but the residual value would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • vwgrrrlvwgrrrl Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if VCI (Volkswagen Credit, Inc.) is extra tough to get a lease from? My sister tried once and got declined. If the dealer doesn't have any luck with VCI, can't they try another bank? Aren't they supposed to suggest it or do they normally let you walk out?
  • markw501markw501 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man:
    There is a dealer in MA that has the EOS for $249/mo. with $2K down.
    http://vw.quirkcars.com/specials/index.htm?category=2008%20EOS%20Lease
    I asked my local and regions to match it and they say it's a scam, because it cuts below cost. What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Mark
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Note: 24 months and 10,000 miles a year
    $1,999 down. Taxes and fees additional

Figure around $600 for acquisition fee, $499 for dealer fee, $299 for document fee, etc, etc, etc...

By the time you add it all up, plus the $1999 down, that adds about $150/mo. to the price... This looks like the stripper model... so, $399/mo. sounds about right..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ideadesignideadesign Member Posts: 4
    The deal you asked about is possible if it is the base model (below the Kumfort) and with a manual transmission (not noted in ad). If you were to eliminate the 2k down and figure dealer prep, taxes and other fees your vehicle would be close to $400/month.

What you need to consider of course is of course could you live with the stripped model with a manual transmission. You also need to be aware that there is no mention of whether it must be from currently inventory on site, that they even have any on site, and if so in what colors. Also, please note that the deal has "*" without explanation and that 2K required becomes an expensive down if you consider that the lease is only for 24 months.

For comparison, I have a 2008 EOS Kumfot with the 17 wheel upgrade option that I got in January. Lease payment is $435.00 for 48 months with nothing out of pocket.
  • mxracer965mxracer965 Member Posts: 3
    I think the dealer I'm working with is sticking it to me...

2008 Eos Lux 3 year 12K/year lease, trade in down ($4,400), quoted at $435/month. MSRP-$763 for the car, 1% interest. Looks like they calculated 52% residual. I see previously residual should be 60%? Can someone please confirm...payment by my calculation at 58% residual should be $376 (all payments including taxes). I question if the 52% is correct since this is technically nearly a year old soon and that is why the residual is relatively low or should it still be 60%?
    Oh, haven't signed anything binding yet, so I supposedly still have time to back out, which after hearing back on this I probably will end up doing...
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    That residual is from Feb and would not be correct at all now. Leasing residuals can change on a month to month basis. A dealer can't mess with the residual but can mark up the money factor.
    Got another quote from another dealer at $379. Long story short got a bit ticked off, went straight to the dealer I'm working with and got the actuals:

Black/Black Eos 2.0T Lux: $35017 (MSRP w/Dest. charges $35790)
    Residual 15K/year @ 57%: $20365
    Residual 12K/year @ 59%: $21080
    Money Factor: .00158 (3.79% APR)
    Acquisition Fee: $575
    Doc Fee: $150
    Plates/registration/etc: $168
    Taxes: $2463 (due up front and rolled into the lease, I live in IL...but also have a place in MI so I may use MI so this would be reduced considerably)
    Trade-in: -$4400
    $454/month 15K/year
    $435/month 12K/year

Sound right? I can't see where the math is wrong. When the taxes are removed, I see that the payment was $379/month so it sounds like that other dealer even though I asked about the taxes being rolled in (they said yes) they actually were not if you do the math. My figures were also off a bit because the sales guy mentioned 1% interest, when in fact the payment was calculated with a higher rate, causing me a bit of confusion.

At any rate, is there any way that the other dealer could be correct? $379 does seem a bit low for a $36K car, 57% residual, with $4,400 down and $2500 worth of taxes rolled into the lease....
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    Atlanta area, looking to do a three year, 15K, no money down lease on a 2008 EOS "Turbo" .. basically a base model, I want a stick shift but finding one is next to impossible. I

Did get one quote from a dealer on an 08 with heated seats/ipod for $526 which turned into $499 when I asked why it was so high. I still think that price is nuts. Residual on the form was .57. My tax rate is 7% and I am not doing a trade which would affect the lease (basically I am doing an equal trade - if I owe money then I would pay it out of pocket)

From what I can tell, at $499 per month it meant nothing off with 5% lease interest equivalent. Of course the locals have their "dealer doc fees" and "advertising fees".

I was aiming for something nearer 430, anyone gotten such a deal?
    I drove the 6 speed and it was awful! Doesn't shift anywhere near as nice as my Passat. The other problem with the stick shift is that Reverse is right next to 1st gear. You have push down the gearbox and then go left and up to get to it. Real pain in the a** in my opinion. Your better off with the tiptronic/auto (the tiptronic sucks too but the auto mode shifts pretty smoothly and it's quick). Good luck!
    Well after looking over the lease proposal from my local VW dealer and having it reviewed on this site I lost my desire for one. After that attempted rip off by my local I don't want to see a VW again.
  • aw57aw57 Member Posts: 12
    I am one week into driving my new 6 speed Eos and I am loving every minute so far. After one or two times, I got used to having to press down and go left to get to reverse. I find the shifting nice and easy - and my last car was a 6 speed BMW 330ci. If you love driving a stick, as I do, then get the Eos in a manual.
    After that attempted rip off by my local I don't want to see a VW again.

Huh.
    One dealer tries to "rip you off" and that swears you off a brand? In that case, odds are pretty damned good that you will be swearing off ALOT of brands!

I doubt it, this is actually the first time in twenty years I have had a dealer try to pull this stunt. Consider I visited one dealer and e-mailed three others I haven't found one reason to be impressed with VW sales. Which leads me to, why would I trust their service if their sales are either deceptive or not responsive.

I have purchased in order, Ford, Dodge, Mazda, Infiniti, Nissan, and Honda in that order. Never once did I have any dealer engineer a lease or sale that was so fraudulent.
    that was so fraudulent

Well, "so fraudulent" and "not fraudulent at all" are 2 very different things.

Besides, many people don't even catch that they are being ripped off in some way or form. I've had very few experiences where they didn't try to pull SOMETHING on me. I've just caught it most times and corrected it prior to purchase. I see it as part of the game.

Off topic warning:
    My personal favorite was the Dodge dealer who had the destination charge pre-printed at the bottom of all the sales contracts. They would then write in the price from the window sticker or ... in my case ... invoice price and add that destination line to it. It took a bit of explaining on my part that the invoice price we agreed to already INCLUDED destination and it can't be added again (of course, same would be for someone paying sticker price). They eventually took it off. Salesman told me he's never had anyone complain before. Makes me feel bad for all those who never caught this little tactic.

Actually, my own experience at VW hasn't been that great either. They used to have this great reputation for really wanting to help the customer. That seems to have changed now. Let's face it, all dealers are out to make money. You just gotta know what you're doing and watch your back. Good luck!
  • swotavatorswotavator Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have bought all of my cars, but am thinking of leasing an 08 EOS komfort.
    I got a quote from the dealer of about $1500 out of pocket, price $500 over cost, residuals of 60%, with a monthly payment of $430. 36 month lease, 10k miles a year. 20c after

Is this good? I have heard of lease deals of like 329$ - is this a joke?
This discussion has been closed.