Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• blackmagic1blackmagic1 Member Posts: 10
    I think my problem my be the proverbial chicken and egg question. However, I believe the first chirping, which started out slowly and only when cold was the pulley. It was the exact same sound my GM truck was making just before we got the Denali. In the truck I replaced the pulley and the problem was solved immediately. (To test if it was the pulley I just sprayed some WD-40 on the pulley bearing and the squeak disappeared until the WD-40 wore off). In the Denali the sound kept getting worse and then the sound occurred whenever the engine was under load. The chirp evolved into a noise that had more of a grinding sound. That's when the battery started dying.

I think the later noise was the alternator and the first chirping sounds were the pulley. The dealer replaced the alternator but did not have the pulley in stock. The noises disappeared. They still wanted to replace the pulley when we got back. Before we could schedule the pulley repair the chirping came back after towing our boat to Shasta and back (600 miles). This noise was fainter and internmitent in nature. The pulley was replaced and it has been fine ever since.

I am not sure if the pulley caused the alternator to fail or if the alternator caused the pulley to fail. It may have just been a coincidence.

Personally, I think the surging power demand on the alternator due to the lack of relay or surge switch destroyed the alternator, and the pulley was a coincidence or casualty thereof.

I know this isn't of much help to isolate the problem, but make the dealer keep the car overnight so they can hear the noise themselves. My dealer didn't want to keep it at first and ended up having to pay to tow the vehicle and rent us a replacement vehicle to tow our boat with.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I want to increase the service intervals, I am planning on going 7000 miles on the oil and 3500 on the filter, unless I decide to go with Am Soil oil and Am Soil brand filter that lasts 10,000 miles, at least that is the claim.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    larry91 - You missed the point on the board titled "2002 Danali" and my comments about the spelling "being changed". The person who started the thread spelled it wrong, that's what I was making fun of. He must be a huge fan of the vehicle if he can't even spell it correctly.
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    now i understand, i did not see the earlier posts, mine started with your post. I don't understand why I did not have the earlier posts, Oh Well
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Actually, the original post disappeared on my screen too, so it looks like I started the thread. Bummer.
    on websites, enjoy your vehicle
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    My DXL started chirping while cold May 25th, and my wife is tired of listening to it. It now chirps even while it is hot. I determined that it was the idler pulley way back in May, and I have just been waiting to take it in to have ALL the small details taken care of (ie. door lock trim, rear passenger heated seat, roof rack, cargo door switch, etc, etc...)

I will report my dealers fix after I take it in...

Dave
  • loywilliamsloywilliams Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 YXL with 1300 miles. After sitting at a light with left turn signal on for about 50 secs, I turned left and the power doors locks unlock by it self. I through maybe I hit the button, but when it happened a second time I knew that it did it by itself. My drivers door it set to open when I take the keys out. Has anyone experienced this problem? It did not happen again after I restarted.
    My door has not unlocked, but I sometimes hear a click after the door has locked automatically, that soundz like it is coming from the door lock. I never gave it a second thought until I read your question.

Weird goings on..

In your case it "Could" have been a computer glitch and reset itself when u turned the vehicle off. I had a problem with the tranny slipping on a 99 Tahoe, came home turned the vehicle off and called the dealer for an appt. Well, needless to say it never happened again.
  • jamiedcjamiedc Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of an after market kit that will look factory? And not void the factory warranty
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    Working on this myself.......I've looked at gibson's and borla's. I decided on Borla.....try www.gibsonperformance.com and www.borla.com. Also try www.nopi.com and godfathercustoms.com
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You could also check out www.pvmufflers.com. Watch the gibson's as they increase in cab resonance and actually lose low end performance while gaining a little on the high end. This would be good if its what you want.
  • safe1safe1 Member Posts: 16
    This a follow-up to the previously reported radio/cd problems. I finally had a new and improved radio/receiver installed by the dealer and found that when the unit is turned off it will queue back where the cd left off. However, if you play the cd while in the accessory setting and turn the ignition on to start the engine guess what happens. You guessed it! The cd queues back to track one, not where it left off. Back to the drawing board!
    I also had the same problem u had with the Bose radio. After 4 radio exchanges, the dealer and I took a cd, played it in a new Denali and it worked.He then checked with some division of GM and got the okay to switch the radio from the new car to mine. It has worked well ever since, and yes, i can play it in accessory mode and turn the ignition on and it goes back to where it was before. It seems to me Bose has some problems to correct, Really Frustrating. I don't like Bose anyway, had one in a corvette and it wasn't much better, the're Junk...
  • ducatistaducatista Member Posts: 20
    I was just quoted $42,800 for a Denali (not XL) w/sunroof. Southeast state. How does this sound? Is there GMC 1,500 cash back to dealer?
    Thanks.
  • djshifleydjshifley Member Posts: 3
    I live in Missouri and I bought a black '01 Denali w/sunroof,(not xl) for 41k in August. This included the 1500 cash back, but I signed it over to the dealer.

If you can find more than one in your area with the color you want then I would push a little harder. If not, it's not a bad deal as the '01s are running out and you probably won't find an '02 for that price.

Great truck!

Dan
  • brown31brown31 Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone tell me the best place (brand) to get one of those GMC logo "plates" that slides into the trailer receiver in the back?

Thanks for any help,
    Bill
    I got mines from the local Cadillac dealership's parts department........also try www.performanceproducts.com
    I bought mine at Pep Boys, about $25.00.
    Dropped DXL off yesterday to dealer. They're going to have my front and second row headrest sewn together by an upholstery shop. Service manager states the headrest coming undone is a common problem but not everyone complains about it.........lol. Will get it back today.......they even gave me a free rental.
    Yea, Right... Two of mine came undone, but they were able to fix them by reconnecting with the tabs provided. I have not had any more problems in that area....
    I've been reconnecting my headrest ever since I purchased the vehicle in January. Just tired of doing it.
    I certainly don't blame you.
  • jthompson22jthompson22 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2001 XLDenali.My son is looking at purchasing a vehicle like mine or a YXL-1/2 ton with 4 WHD.He ask me how much better a 4 WHD would do on the beach or off-road than the XLDenali.He does not plan to do any heavy duty towing(6000# or less). I would like to see him purchase the XLDenali,but I do not know the answer to his question. Help!
    Jim
  • ccpd400ccpd400 Member Posts: 12
    For off road, 4WD is better that AWD since you can use 4WD LOW which is not an option on the DXL AWD. Also, off road you may want a fixed distribution of power and allowing wheel spin, things that the DXL does not allow with its AWD configuration.

As a side note, if going off road alot, the long wheelbase of the XL series may be a disadvantage and don't forget the winch. Hope my 2cents is helpful.
  • lalanelalane Member Posts: 39
    Just curious, has anyone been able to take the headrest on the DXL completely off??? I tried pulling up on it but didn't want to force it before I have something else to worry about.

Anyone???
    I have a 01 YXL and the headrest come off when you depress a little pin on the side of the headrest arm. Look at the trim where the headrest rods comes out of the seat, on the inboard side there is a small hole, use a sturdy paper clip or something of the sort, stick it in the hole and you should feel it push in when that happens give the headrest a little pull up, and hold it there while you do the or the side. The first couple times you do it it's tricky, but you can get the hang of it quickly enough.
    on my 2001 Denali.

While stopped for a light, when the light changed i accelerated. When i stepped on the gas I noticed a slip then a lock up in the AWD system. This happened to me four of five times in the 6 months that i have had the vehicle. It doesn't happen often and worked fine after these isolated incidents.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the fix. Now this may be normal, but i would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance
  • tspathostspathos Member Posts: 10
    I have noticed the same. if you figure it out please let me know whats up. Thanks Terry
    I mentioned it to my dealer, and he said he hadn't heard of that before, surprise, surprise. He wants me to let them test drive the truck and see if they can detect it. The problem with that is, it happens so rarely that they probably wouldn't encounter the problem.

I wonder if the system detected a slippage and transfered power to the front wheels, ?????? That was my original thought.

If anyone else has had this problem, we would like to hear about it and the resolution, if corrected.
    Thanks
    Has anyone heard of any changes or seen any spy photos of the 2003 Yukon XL and XL Denalis? (I saw one of the Tahoe.)

Thanks,
    Jim
    I've heard Quaker State oil is not a good oil. I've heard it contains a lot of parrafin and can gum up your engine.

Does anyone have any insight on this? My dealer will give free oil changes on our Denali, but they use Quaker State oil.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FWIW, I have heard that both Penzoil and Quaker State are the worse for this engine sludge/wax build-up problem. You may find the following links interesting, your mileage may vary of course:

http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/archive/1103.html

http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/archive/1110.html

There is also an Engine Sludge discussion topic in the Maintenance & Repair message board that you may wish to peruse.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I'm waiting on an '02 Denali XL. Is Castrol one of the best motor oils to use in it? (I'm looking for non-synthetic.)

Is Havoline good, too? (I've heard Quaker State, Pennzoil and Valvoline are not good.)

Thanks for any help,
    Bill
    I have a 2001 Denali XL. On about six of seven occasions, while stopped at a light, when i accelerate, at a normal slow rate, I notice a slip, then a lock and I go. It doesn't happen often and under no specific circumstances. My dealer has never heard of that happening.

Has anybody out there had this problem? If so, what was the problem and the fix?

Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    venture to this site and enter yourVIN number. Your problems sounds like your Denali needs a reprogramming of the trans:

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/
    Thanks, went to the site and here is what i got re the transmission
    Well, i thought i could copy and paste the information to this site, guess i can't.

I will take it to my dealer and see if he can fiqure it out
  • cwuertz1cwuertz1 Member Posts: 2
    We are attemtping to close a deal on a new Denali, the invoice is suddenly showing $952 in dealer advertising/marketing fees. They are telling us this is GMC.

Has anyone purchased recently and paid these fees?
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    My was $474 on a Denali XL in January (no options). $952 is high, but is possible. It varries per region.
  • hwhitecohwhiteco Member Posts: 8
    I've recently purchased a 2002 Denali XL with 2nd row captain's chairs & looking to purchase floor liners for all the carpeted areas. Is Husky Liners the top of the line brand & will they cover the carpeted area surrounding the captain's chairs? Also where would the best place to purchase them? Any other comments or suggestions would be welcome. Appreciate your help & thanks for your time.
  • hwhitecohwhiteco Member Posts: 8
    Charlie
    Don't be confused by questionable dealer fees, they vary widely from dealer to dealer. To accurately gauge your deal compare your final "out the door price" from dealer to dealer. That's exactly what it means, the price you pay to drive the vehicle out the door. What good is a deal for $500 over invoice if they're going to bombard you with fees? Need any more info just email me.
  • tonieckertoniecker Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a Sub for about 10 years with cargo doors. Now looking at a Denali XL (mainly just love the interior features) but really don't like the liftgate. Are cargo doors an option? My salesperson didn't think so. His comment was this was better than the old liftgate on the old suburbans.

I am currently driving a Tahoe with a liftgate while my current Sub is getting some body work and have to slam the liftgate several times to get it to latch...same with the doors. Is it that air tight?

I'd love to hear other comments.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    The only 2 options are captains chairs for the middle row and the sunroof. The liftgate is the only option for the rear. I have it and like it.
  • lalanelalane Member Posts: 39
    One other option not mentioned that's available is an heater for the oil pan. The lift gate was totally redesign from it predecessors. It is made of Aluminum construction (very lightweight) to allow ease of lifting and closing (especially for my wife) and put less loads on the shocks. I personally like the lift gate configuration, it allows zero obstruction unlike the cargo or "barn doors" that has a blind spot right in the middle. Even the dealers are not certain if it's going to be offered for the '02s or '03s. The ideal of being able to access the rear thru the glass as oppose to lifting the entire gate makes it that much more convenient. My 2 cents.
    I like the looks of the Doors, but like the visibility of the lift gate better. I had a 99 Tahoe with the doors and was disappointed when i couldn't get them on the Denali. Now I wouldn't have the doors again.

It's all a matter of getting use to a new design. However, I must say, I still like the looks of the Doors better than the gate, Oh well.

That friends, is my 2 cents
    It is actually a block heater, not an oil pan heater. The heating element is in the water jacket, and takes the place of an expansion plug. It warms the water and the normal gravity effect heats the block.

The Lift gate is great, I ordered my YXL with the gate. I had doors on my vans, until the last one, it had a huge one piece door, I loved the visibility. The doors are good for getting to the roof rack, but now they make steps for the tires, and that slip into the hitch receiver. Another thing the lift gate offers that doors could never get you is the rear wiper, it makes a huge difference in the winter. In the rain if you are out shopping the lift gate gives you some shelter to load up the groceries, and such w/o getting totally soaked.
  • sixmikkssixmikks Member Posts: 2
    How about some ideas for accessories for a new Denali. The colors are so plain right now, I was thinking of dressing up a black or white one with a custom grill or lights or something. Any ideas?
    I like the idea of a two tone paint addition and a set of wheel well flairs. If u want, a "Good- upscale" set of aftermarket wheels would look great. Do not buy the American Racing brand...
  • 2k2denali2k2denali Member Posts: 12
    Hi Everyone,

I just found this board a week ago, a few days after I picked up my 2002 Denali. I decided to forgo the sunroof, in favor of the rear A/C controls, which my kids will enjoy. I paid $500 over dealer invoice, which I thought was a good deal in the greater NYC area. It was so much fun finding dealer stock on the GMC BuyPower site, calling the dealers with the vehicle I wanted, then telling them _MY_ price. :-)

My 2 previous trucks were a '99 Durango and before that a '96 Explorer

I've read all 900 posts and learned a lot about my Denali.

There is so much good accessory info on this board. I've already bought the relays for the headlights and fog lights, the Lund Interceptor hood guard and the Catch-All mats. I've been wanting to have the low beams and high beams on at the same time for 15 years! On a 1980 Datsun I had, I could teeter the control between low and high to have them both on at the same time, but I haven't been able to do that on any vehicle since then.

Does anyone have a picture of the Aluminum Billet GMC grill logo on their Denali? The links posted on the board are dead.

Has anyone upgraded their back up lights? I just bought a set of KC Highlites halogen back up lights and need some installation advice. Where on the fuse panel do I hook up the 12V power supply? When splicing into the back up light wire in the tail light housing, is green the correct wire? I'd assume that because all 3 bulbs have a black wire. Perhaps there's a place online with installation pictures?

How about rear mud flaps? I think for the fronts, the faring and running boards are sufficient, but the rears need more coverage. I haven't seen anything for the Denali anywhere.

How about fender flares? It's pretty lame that GMC does nothing on the Denali. I'd love to find something nice which ties into the trim that the factory provides.

Enough for now..... Thanks to all the members for a great board.

Rich