Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    The thing is, you will never find a forum that is as civilized as this one… In conclusion, this forum acts for me like a favorite pub. I know I can drop in any time for some good conversation among friends. Of course no beer is served, which is a shame

Bristol2 has worded very well my own feeling on this forum. Not that we cannot disagree from other's opinions—it is only we can do that without biting jugular veins at the same toke. This is why, though I also post sometimes in other forums, I come over this one with a sort of heart lightness. (David, I also miss a good paint of bitter most of the times). IMHO, every poster fellow has a share in keeping this atmosphere, even when the mood becomes a bit sour.

Regards,
    Jose
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I still remember why Syswei left...

:cry:
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Might be time to move on... Either way, it is time for me to think about it.

I for one hope you decide to stick around. This board definitely wouldn't be as interesting without your perspective. I've been around since '04, and have found that I can't stay away for long. Thank goodness for mobile internet! In any case, don't forget to talk to me about cameras before making a purchase.
    There is rumor spread over the ocean…

link title

;)

Regards,
    Jose
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Yes, I am getting too old for this type of game. It was a great game and either team could have won depending on how the ball bounced. Both teams were very deserving and you had to have lady luck on your side to win. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Even though I don't post very often I do look forward to reading this forum everyday. Somehow I believe that all of us here really enjoy this board, it allows for passionate banter and debate and even when we disagree we still are all pretty much on the same page regarding our interest in these cars. ;)

Let me share an example about why I believe our economy can't be all that bad right now - Today I went down to Fenway for the Red Sox Opening Day game - I paid $80 for a parking space, and then had a few $9 beers! Crazy but in both cases supply was barely meeting demand as lines for paying for both of these were long. And for you old Sox fans out there - they had the tenacity to have Bill ('86) Buckner throw out the first pitch! :lemon:
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Who do you think you are kidding...you're not going anywhere..Old posters never die, they just........keep on posting.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Old posters never die, they just........keep on posting.

For me this place is like Hotel California:

We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.
    You can checkout any time you like,
    But you can never leave!
    Your best post ever. Gotta give you props. We should rename this place...HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Billy Buck did not lose the '86 series for the Sox! Mookie would have beaten it out anyway! Buckner was just the wrong player in the wrong placeat the wrong time for the right reason. Not Boston's proudest time, driving him out of New England, into the great wide open of the midwest. The Mets were just toying with the Sox...

Now, having written that: I grew up a die hard Mets fan as I spent my formative years in the "New York, New Jersey and Fairfield County" (quotes as that is how many advertisers referred to it) area. My Dad, a native New Yorker, moved on to the Amazin's after his beloved Dodgers took the last train to Clarksville, er, LA and he passed his passion on to Bro and I. 1986 was a fab year for baseball, unbelievable drama in the playoffs and World Serious. I would not catch the disease known as the Red Sox until I moved to the Boston area in '91. But catch it I did... Bro and Dad don't quite understand although Dad does wear the Sox stuff I have given him throughout the years. Bro still bleeds blue and orange, although he is now an Angeleno (actually, a Pallisadeso?).

If the Mets and Sox met in the Series, I'm not sure who I would root for as each team has now won two championships in my lifetime. WWTSD (What would Tom Seaver do?). Ok, sorry Dad/Bro. 95% sure I'd be rootin' for the Sox... The only constant is change.

Now, Tag, how could you leave after such an off-topic post as this!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Not a bad idea :)
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Only in Boston would guys like Mookie Wilson and Bucky Dent live on in infamy longer than their legend ever took them in their home towns. :lemon:
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    But then where does that leave the S4 with 330-350hp?

Audi is in a squeeze, and I still fully believe that the 3.2 should be taken out of the lineup. It simply doesn't fit.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    What do you mean? Who's doing the chasing? Certainly not the German brands, because they're the ones that are selling from twice to three times as well as Lexus worldwide.

And I would say, yes, Lexus is chasing a moving target. And as of now, they aren't moving fast enough--RX is old, ES is bland, GX is stale, GS is competent at best, SC isn't getting any prettier, IS is midpack, LX is pointless (get a Land Cruiser)... heck, the only Lexus that could possibly be considered class-leading is the LS460. I would consider buying the GS also, but probably wouldn't end up with it, because the 5 Series, E-Class, A6 and M have better engine choices.

In conclusion, this forum acts for me like a favourite pub. I know I can drop in any time for some good conversation among friends.

In fact, that's exactly what I was thinking about today. The Luxury Lounge is where I can hang my hat. That reminds me of "Happy Days," LMAO.

Tag, don't leave. We need everyone we can get... not to mention, you're one of the best posters here. What's the point? The advantage?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I believe that his proper name is Bucky "Bleepin'" Dent... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

But then where does that leave the S4 with 330-350hp?

Audi is in a squeeze, and I still fully believe that the 3.2 should be taken out of the lineup. It simply doesn't fit.

BMW offers you 230hp, "300"hp, or 414hp in the 3. M-B offers you 228hp, 268hp (soon to be 300 something) or 457hp in the C-class. The A4 2.0T is supposed to compete with the 328i and the C300, so that leaves Audi in the awkward position of having two cars to try and fit below the RS4. They should either equip the S4 with the new 3.0T and price it against the 335i and C350 and eliminate the 3.2, or replace the 3.2 with the 3.0T, and move the S4 up into M and AMG territory, which would require that the RS4 be a 500+hp monster priced at $75K+.
    RX is old, ES is bland, GX is stale, GS is competent at best, SC isn't getting any prettier, IS is midpack, LX is pointless (get a Land Cruiser)... heck, the only Lexus that could possibly be considered class-leading is the LS460. I would consider buying the GS also, but probably wouldn't end up with it, because the 5 Series, E-Class, A6 and M have better engine choices.

The RX and the ES are in no way enthusiast choices, but they appeal to a certain "Zombie" market and they are Lexus' perennial best sellers. Despite the RX's age, I'm sure its still doing quite well. The GX though is a bit stale, I wouldn't be surprised if that has seen a decline lately. It has never seemed like Lexus has been particularly interested in keeping the SC fresh or competitive. Rumors are there may not be another, Lexus may simply cede the big coupe/convertible market to the Germans and Jaguar.

The GS started out very weak with the underpowered 300 and the carry over 430, but the current 350 and 460 engine choices are very competitive if perhaps not the absolute best in class. The problem I have with the GS is everything else about the car. It's barely adequate in space and comfort, barely adequate in handling, and barely adequate in reliability. Lexus is no stranger to lousy handling, but above all a Lexus has to be comfortable, and it absolutely has to be reliable. There is no point to an unreliable Lexus.
    The RX and the ES are in no way enthusiast choices, but they appeal to a certain "Zombie" market and they are Lexus' perennial best sellers.

So according to you, we can agree with your choice of vehicle and be an "enthusiast" but if we prefer Lexus, then we are "zombies". Nice. You simply have to change your name.

You know, some people would correctly use the term "poseur" to describe many would be enthusiasts. But we "zombies" are much too civilized for that. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Mr Houdini, you are as funny as ever! :D:D:D

By the way, I took my IS350 in for the first free scheduled service yesterday. I had a chance to see the IS-F up close (just the exterior, since it was roped off). I have to say that it's a good looking car IMO. It did not seem too much boy racer as appear in photos. The interior seen thru the windows appear nicer than regular IS which IMO is nicer than the 3 series. I wonder if someone has done a comparison test btw the IS-F and the M3...
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    M/T Rating:

1st Place
    BMW M3
    Speed, balance, and athleticism converge in today's best compact, high-performance sport sedan.

2nd Place
    MERCEDES-BENZ C63 AMG
    A solid, emotive machine that works as everyday transport-and accelerates like a first-gen Viper.

3rd Place
    LEXUS IS F
    Lexus's first effort in this category is a good one, lacking in only the finest of details.

link title

Regards,
    OW
    Yeah sure the German 3 are leading the worldwide sales but are the margins expanding or shrinking? I think we all know the answer of that. Also, let's keep in mind that Lexus is doing that with fewer models, fewer engine choices and fewer dealerships. With hybrids for every model, an entry-level car/crossover, a dedicated hybrid and LF-A on the way, both Lexus' image and sales are going to get a big boost. The pressure is building!!

RX - of course it's old, and it's getting a replacement soon
    ES - of course it's bland and it is supposed to be bland. Just so you know that there are a lot of people who like land yacht with luxurious feel of isolation. Yeah, they are out there.
    GX - needs to go...
    GS - mediocre at just about everything but not excellent in anything
    SC - needs to go and is going
    IS - midpack? It offers the best luxury in its class with impressive performance. I am not going to spell out its performance figures from all the reviews/comparos but it is proven to be as capable performance-wise as others in its class.
    LX - not pointless, it is the halo off-road capable, uber-luxurious SUV. If it is pointless then all halo vehicles are also pointless...
    LS - even a Lexus hater like you considered it as class-leading, what else do I need to add...

By the way, for the GS, the 5/E/A5/M does not have better engine choice, at least not in the V6 models.
    Thanks for the article. Looks like Lexus is on the right track, just as the results indicated. Now they need to bring the LF-A with the GT-R typed performance.
    2001gs430, looks like you are enjoying your IS350, which is very good to hear. Next Friday (4/18) I will be taking mine to the track for the first time (all stock except the springs) and I'll report back if anything interesting happens.

As for the IS F, it is indeed a very sweet car. Totally agree with you that in person it doesn't appear boyracer-ish as shown 1n the pictures. I tested the car on a dyno machine during last year's Taste of Lexus and that engine is a BEAST!! Although this is a very good first effort from Lexus and the car is everything I had hoped for but from many comparos I saw it is not yet a M3/C63 beater. This is another classic example that the old master has once again out-smart the young up-and-comer. However, with such a good first effort (most testers like it but the competitors are just much stronger) I say job well done and can't wait to see the next variant.

By the way, Tag, I concede defeat in our little gentlemen's bet (if you still remember) ;) . MB has priced the C63 much lower than my prediction and that's pretty much it. Kudos to them!
    esf, on this board, every time someone mentioned how MB, Audi or BMW sell more than Lexus world wide, someone else would counter that with ya but these world wide sales numbers includes non luxury models that are use for taxis for examples. Then that someone would conclude that you should add Toyota sales to Lexus's to be fair, game, set, match! ;)
    So according to you, we can agree with your choice of vehicle and be an "enthusiast" but if we prefer Lexus, then we are "zombies". Nice. You simply have to change your name.

I'm sorry but if you drive an RX or an ES, clearly performance and handling are not your top priorities. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that or that brain eating Zombies are "bad people", but them's the facts. My wife is mostly a Zombie when it comes to cars, but even she got bored with the RX and decided she wanted something without so much body roll and heavier steering with better road feel, which is how we ended up with the X3.

I also wasn't saying that every Lexus is a Zombie mobile. The old SC actually drove pretty well in its day, the IS300 was arguably even more of a driver's car than the 3 series, and the IS-F definitely isn't for the Zombie crowd. There's nothing Zombie about the LF-A either.
    I wonder if someone has done a comparison test btw the IS-F and the M3...

Car and Driver:

2nd place: IS-F
    Highs: Bellowing engine note, lightning shifts, power for all but the truly demented.
    Lows: Brakes that don’t know when to take it easy, gear overload.
    The Verdict: Compared with a normal car it’s amazing, but it happens to run with a tough crowd.

1st place: M3
    Highs: V-8 pulls strongly down low and up to 8400 rpm, stability control that we can live with.
    Lows: iDrive remains friendless.
    The Verdict: The benchmark of sports sedans.

C&D M3 vs. IS-F comparo
    Lou, yes now that spring weather is here, and I just got pass the break in mileage (did not drive much in the winter month) I found the IS is extremely enjoyable to drive. I just love the balance of luxury and sportiness of this car.
    Tracking your IS should be fun. I had the power shift mode on the other day in mine, and now I know why some people call it a muscle car.
    “Porsche has clearly misunderstood public opinion, since the majority of Londoners support an increased congestion charge for the most polluting vehicles.”

The Friends of the Earth is OUTRAGED that Porshce wants to challenge a new law that would impose a $50 (approximately) daily rate on various Porsches driving within London (applicable also to residents living within London).

Based on a survey most Londoners whom a majority have cars with engines of 2.0L or less want a hefty tax on gas consuming cars. The majority versus the minority who will win? The answer is obvious!

This is a good example of libery versus democracy. In this case I support the official motto from New Hampshire : Live Free or Die! The liberty to drive a Porshce without being punished should be everybody'r right

link title
    ;)
    The liberty to drive a Porshce without being punished should be everybody'r right

It's not just the London congestion charge, in most western countries now and in places like Japan, the taxes on cars with large displacement engines are much higher. The only thing we have in the states that's comparable is the gas guzzler tax.
    Hey, I thought we had determined that being the sales champ was somehow a bad thing!! I agree in this case. It just makes Lexus more exclusive. Lexus is just not meant for all those common folk! ;)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

in most western countries now… the taxes on cars with large displacement engines are much higher

Rightly so in Spain as due to the steep increase in the registration taxation for cars with large displacement, for instance. :mad:

Regards,
    Jose
    Thanks GS. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment on those interiors. Be careful at the track. Don't let that big boy get away from you!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Here in Canada we got our share of a gas guzzler taxes. But the London type of taxes if imposed elsewhere would drive Porsche out of business. Oh yes what's $50.00 a day of taxes for driving a Porshe for those who are affluent? A hell of a lot--many affluent people are not necessarily such big spendthrifts.

The thing that bugs me most is that the percentage of people who drive Porsches or lux gas guzzlers are such a small fraction of the population especially in the UK that this tax will have nothing more than a very insignificant affect on improving the environment.
    IS - midpack? It offers the best luxury in its class with impressive performance. I am not going to spell out its performance figures from all the reviews/comparos but it is proven to be as capable performance-wise as others in its class.

Wasn't meaning to offend you, sorry.

But yes, think about it. The 335i beats it in performance as well as the ride/handling balance, and even, arguably, materials quality. Don't care for German cars? Look to Infiniti. The IS350 is nice, but the bulk of sports sedan buyers prefer more road feel. It's more of a fast, comfy car than a sports sedan that happens to be comfortable (3 Series).

LX - not pointless, it is the halo off-road capable, uber-luxurious SUV. If it is pointless then all halo vehicles are also pointless...

Keep reading. I said it was pointless because of the Land Cruiser. The way I see it, there is really no point in buying one. On top of that, I prefer the looks of the LC. If I were to buy a large SUV, it would either be that, a GMC Yukon Denali or a Merc GL of some sort.

LS - even a Lexus hater like you considered it as class-leading, what else do I need to add...

1. I don't hate Lexus. I just don't love their lineup at the moment. The day they produce cars I want to own I will admit it.

2. I didn't call it class-leading. I said it could be considered class-leading. i.e., I don't personally think it's at the top of its class, but I can see why some may. I think the S-Class and A8 are the best.

A twin turbo i4 is expected for the BMW 1 series in 2010 and maybe even the 3 series Coupe.

A quad turbo i4 engine may also be in the works but that is unlikely to happen by 2010.

link title
    If Acura is willing to make the TL with a MSRP of around $45k like the 3-series then I am pretty sure they can do a much better job.

Oh really?

Honda today is not capable of making any vehicle that is competitive with a BMW independent of price.

I can make the same claim that Chrysler can make a 45K $ BMW 3 series beater. But such a claim is empty and without substance just like your Honda claim.

The Honda S2000 and the 1990 Acura NSX were wonderful cars. Unfortunately today Honda has dropped the ball and now their performance engineering prowess is nothing more than a remnant of the past
    But yes, think about it. The 335i beats it in performance as well as the ride/handling balance, and even, arguably, materials quality. Don't care for German cars? Look to Infiniti. The IS350 is nice, but the bulk of sports sedan buyers prefer more road feel. It's more of a fast, comfy car than a sports sedan that happens to be comfortable (3 Series).

I have to agree with you there. I think that the 3 series interior is one of BMW's best, while IMO, the IS interior just isn't that impressive. The aluminum trim in the BMW or even the Infiniti is all real, while the IS's "metallic finish" is just plastic. Even if you spring for the bird's-eye maple, there's just a bit of it on the console and the doors. The rest is still mostly plastic and vinyl. The IS is a much better execution than the GS, but in the class I would rank the IS no higher than 4th, behind Audi, BMW and Infiniti, and possibly Cadillac. I still haven't gotten a chance to drive the new CTS yet to be sure about that.

1st: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_enlarge.php?iid=cr2045&car=audi-a4
    2nd: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_enlarge.php?iid=db4019&car=bmw-3-seri- es-coupe
    3rd: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_enlarge.php?iid=12178&car=infiniti-g3- 7-coupe
    4th: http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/X/j/ag_07lexusis_is350int.jpg
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Don't forget that the Central London taxes are written by Red Ken. Ken Livingston was a legend when I lived in London (he wasn't the mayor then) as a class-warrior of the first degree.

Keep in mind also that this is a central London congestion tax. The only people not riding public transport in Central London in rush hour during the week are stock brokers/ lawyers/ mayors etc. Not much need to shed a tear or fear for the freedom of that crew.
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Well I know one very important auto reviewer who drove the S550, BMW 750, and will unabashedly state the LS 460 is the best in class. This reviewer thought so highly of the LS 460, he bought one. This reviewer is me ;) At the end of the day, couldn't care less what someone else thinks about my car, they don't drive it, I do.
    I have a map of Spain, and wondered where you are located on it....So many of the names in Spain are given where the Sapnish explorers explored...I`m trying to learn a little Spanish Tony
    My compliments.....As time goes on, I have seen more and more of them....I particularly like the large well positioned screen , as I really do not like the i-drive and the Audi is better than the bmw, but I really think both could get you in a wreck easily...I had Lexus many years.....Tony
    How right you are. You and many others who voted with their wallet. We all know most of these rags are paid off in advertising revenue so the only opinion that matters is the guy who buys the car. That is why the LS kicks butt in sales here in the Big Leagues. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Fair enough cant argue with that. Fact of the matter is I neither drove the current LS or S class though I did drive prior generation models of those cars.

So your opinion certainly has more weight than mine.
    That is why the LS kicks butt in sales here in the Big Leagues

Beyond the US border the LS in terms of sales is a wimper. For Lexus the Big Leagues is global since that is where most luxury car sales are and not in the USA alone. Mind you the USA is VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT. But please let's not overinflate the importance of the USA in terms of the Globe,
    No my heart does not bleed for those overpaid stockbrokers or lawyers in London.

But my heart does bleed for such a great brand like Porsche or any performance brand that would be threatened by such ludicrous money grubbing policies that wont help the environment one bit. If every Porsche, Lamboor Ferarri ceased to exist on this earth mother nature will not breathe easier. The only ones that will breathe easier will be those politicians who will have the ability to increase taxes.
    If I lived in Europe it would be more important to me. But I live in the U.S. so it is important to me. Europe or Africa or Tibet, not so much.

Human nature I guess. Or just the Ugly American Syndrome. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

True!

But let's not forget I am a Canadian. Or should I say a not so Ugly Canadian ;)
    I know. I have been all over Canada. From British Columbia to Nova Scotia. What is that little town in the Rockies? Bamf or something like that? One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Cape Breton was very dark and foreboding to me but I still really liked it. I love the outdoors so I find Canada to be a very beautiful country. Of course all my visits there have been in the warm months.

Your wonderful country has tremendous potential but just like the U.S. it needs better leaders. But still, a great neighbor. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460