Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I said tune an Evo. ;)

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    My wife had a late '80s Integra (forgot which year), I had a '92 Vigor and then a '96 TL. The TL is really what turned me off of the brand and made me realize that Acura was going down the tubes. My most recent Honda purchase was my daughter's '03 Civic EX coupe. My older son has since inherited it and turned it into a rice burner, piece by piece. It will be sold by the end of the summer.

The things that Acura "could" do about the RL have been said time and time again. What would be truly shocking is if it actually happened.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    I understand your reasoning, but to me it simply does not look upmarket. It looks like an entrly-level family sedan masquerading as a luxury car (think Hyundai Sonata, XG350). Obviously it's more polished, but there is just so much more they could've done with the car.

One design that some could call "bland" but I consider "gorgeous" is the Audi A8. That's a car that looks upmarket, pure, simple, beautiful. It will age very well. Saw an updated '08 A8 yesterday, and even though it's pretty familiar I couldn't stop staring at the thing. It's a rare treat.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    In the review that comps the Porsche 911 Turbo and the GT-R, there is also an appearance by BMW's M3. At the end of the day, even though its power difference was significantly less, the M3 won the hearts of all the reviewers... hands down.

I saw that review as well. I'm not quite sure where C&D was going with that comparison, do they mean to suggest that the M3 is a better car than the 911 Turbo, or that buyers of one would even consider the other? It didn't make a lot of sense. Their opening about how "maybe the Z06 is so awesome that its here, its just invisible" was humorous, but then I thought, why isn't the Z06 there? Who cares if it lost some other test to the 911 Turbo? That's the comparison people want to see, Z06 vs. GT-R.

IMO, not one of C&D's better efforts. They also have a penchant for letting the sports car with the biggest trunk space or most usable back seats win tests, regardless of how well it actually stacks up performance wise.

That snarky remark about how "maybe everyone else should just give up and start building M3s" was also more than a little disquieting. The M3 is a great car but its not the best car in the world at everything by any stretch, and that line seemed to show blatant "BMW makes sure its cars always win our tests" bias.
    I said tune an Evo

The FQ-400 was pretty well tuned. It was boosted to 400hp, thats 200hp/L and just about the maximum of what the old engine could take without serious modification. If the FQs were ever sold in the states, I assume the top 400 would be at least $50 - 60K, which starts taking the "bargain" out of it.

The Atom has a 300hp supercharged Civic Type R engine bolted to four wheels, and thats about it. It weighs a third what an Evo does. It makes an Elise look like an elephant. I don't care how much you tune it, you won't catch the Atom. The V8 version has a power to weight ratio approaching Formula 1 levels.
    But it's not a terribly good-looking automobile.

The updates they've done for the '08 refresh have helped quite a bit, especially at the back. The M still isn't the best looking car by far, but its much better. Those orange gauges are also banished from the brand entirely now, which is good.

It's hard to tell how a car will age. The previous A6 is still quite fresh and modern looking, and doesn't appear like a '90s design at all. The old E-class on the other hand looked absolutely ancient by 2003.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Let's take a look at that C&D article featuring the GT-R and the Porsche 911 Turbo, and the BMW M3. For the sake of learning more about the GT-R, and removing subjective "favorites", consider taking the M3 wildcard completely out of the picture, leaving the Porsche 911 Turbo as the lone remaining car in the comp.

For that matter, let's just go a step further and remove the 911 as well, leaving no comps at all.

Now... all that remains is the GT-R. We are still left with the same feedback, with regards to its driving dynamics, that we had prior to removing the comps. And THAT feedback lends reason to pause, and realize that the GT-R has a reality with genuine limitations, and it is not the incredible magical car that exists in imaginations.

The GT-R is capable of proficient, non-dramatic lap times on a track. It inherently accomplishes this by design. That said, the transmission's behavior is likely an area for improvement. The car's more typical life off-track is not an enjoyable experience.

It doesn't matter what other car the GT-R robotically devours for lunch on a track if the car delivers a pathetic off-track driving dynamic. So, in fairness, the C&D article, independent of the comps, hss provided significant information about the GT-R that illuminates it's true nature. And, based upon that information, I am still respectful of the car's merits, but less impressed with the GT-R overall as a result.

TM
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Can't agree more with you there. IMO C&D are comparing apples to oranges, M3 is easy to live with as a daily driver (if it's under warranty that is) but not so much for the 911 Turbo and GT-R.

I know there are people out there having their M3s as their weekend fun cars but for me I'd rather just spend another $10k or so and get a Z06.
    Lou,

I'm obviously one here that still thinks the Z06 represents a terrific value among sports cars. It delivers a whole lot of performance and style for a comparatively very reasonable price.

Horsepower... 505 @ 6300 rpm
    Torque... 470 @ 4800 rpm

Who cares what the naysayers think about the Corvette? They probably don't realize just how well the car has evolved over the years. It's an icon, and it will stir the emotions in many who gaze their eyes upon it.

I, for one, hope you get one. :)

edit: as far as the C&D article, I think the M3 didn't even belong in the comp. My take on the article has been posted above, and I think the only real benefit that came from the article was the feedback that was directly related to the GT-R. We've all heard the rest of the stuff on the other cars before. And, we all know that the Z06 should have been in the test... more so than the M3, and C&D knew it too... or they wouldn't have made their 'excuse". They just couldn't resist plugging the M3... which, IMO, doesn't need their promo, as it stands on its own merits, and shouldn't be used in a gimmicky manner as it was.

Also, in reply to your comments about DD... the Porsche 911 Turbo can be a suitable DD, although the NA versions are preferable, IMO. I have been using my 911 Carrera S as a DD recently, and it's been wonderful. When the PASM is set to sport, it can get a bit stiff, but certainly tolerable. I generally keep it in non-sport mode, unless I need the extra grip. I think it's becoming clearer that the GT-R, however, will not make for a good DD.

One more point... the perfect garage would likely have an M3 AND a Z06 parked inside, don't you think? ;)

TM
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I, for one, hope you get one.

Tag, I will, one day. Hopefully that day comes before I turned 40...

One more point... the perfect garage would likely have an M3 AND a Z06 parked inside, don't you think?

That's exactly what my garage would look like in 10 years. Maybe instead of the M3 I'll have an IS F if the Lexus F-division can live up to its potential. ;)

Actually I am no longer craving for a M3/C63/RS4/IS F as my daily driver. After thinking more about the pros and cons and looking at those stunning Z06 pictures I am just going to stay with a normal sports sedan (3er/A4/G/IS) and at the mean time save up for a Z06 as my weekend car.
    Actually I am no longer craving for a M3/C63/RS4/IS F as my daily driver. After thinking more about the pros and cons and looking at those stunning Z06 pictures I am just going to stay with a normal sports sedan (3er/A4/G/IS) and at the mean time save up for a Z06 as my weekend car.

Hmmm... rationality and common sense prevails. ;)

Personally, though, I am more and more just waiting for a cool little hybrid for my DD, and leaving another car or two as "backup".

BTW, now that my neck has mostly recovered from my injury, I'm thinking about a Lotus again. (Exige S 240 or Elise SC.) :surprise:

TM
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    One more point... the perfect garage would likely have an M3 AND a Z06 parked inside, don't you think?

A resounding YES,YES, YES!!

Regards,
    OW
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I filled the audi up today, and it seems I am taken advantage of all the time in small ways.....The Amaco station had a small posted sign saying the fuel had ten percent ethonol...One would not notice this if the tank wasn`t empty, and took a while to fill up...As ethinol doesn`t have the btu in a gallon (around thirty percent less) , I had around two gallons of ethinol in that tank, but paid the full price as though this was real gasoline....Just something to be on the lookout for...Tony
    So, in fairness, the C&D article, independent of the comps, hss provided significant information about the GT-R that illuminates it's true nature. And, based upon that information, I am still respectful of the car's merits, but less impressed with the GT-R overall as a result.

I definitely get what you're saying. TTAC also disliked the GT-R as a regular car rather than a track weapon, but then they hated the 135i convertible, so make of that what you will. For the record, there have been several very positive reviews of the GT-R as a road car, CAR magazine for example loved it.

Mr. Clarkson will be driving one very soon on BBC 2, I can't wait for that.
    As ethinol doesn`t have the btu in a gallon (around thirty percent less) , I had around two gallons of ethinol in that tank, but paid the full price as though this was real gasoline....Just something to be on the lookout for...Tony

Isn't "E10" gasoline basically everywhere now? Can you even still get gas without at least some ethanol content?
    I get a chuckle out of reading extreme and polarized views of the SAME car. It is utterly amazing how so completely different and opposite the perspectives of different "experts" can really be. It just goes to show that the concensus is usually the better barometer of the truth. And our own test drives are ultimately the ones that count the most.

Heck, even objective test data isn't always the same from one source to another. The REAL truth about cars often isn't found at TTAC, that's for sure.

So far, the GT-R strikes me as a highly functional track car that achieves its mission. It is clear to me that the car was essentially designed and tested with the specific goal of turning in top numbers on the track. I am not so certain about its road manners... so I look forward to driving one in the future, when it finally becomes possible, and I will discover whether or not Nissan was able to include a tame side to the wild beast that they built.

LG... What's the latest on your Audi?

TM
    Gentlemen,
    You will like this one. :)
    link title
    TM
    Will also be available as an S7 and RS7.

Hmmmm.

TM
    When the addative was banned ,they turned to ethanol as it makes gas burn cleaner, so that was where- a couple of years ago- the shortage and demand for ethanol came from ..Then, with the encouragement of the government, the blends came into play....I personally haven`t be aware that gasoline had changed to e85, unless it is labeled ..You may be right, I just noticed this today so I will further investigate..Tony
    When they put the supercharger in the Lotus Elise, I took notice. I owned that car without the supercharger, and the engine was begging for one... it was constantly necessary to stay within the narrow upper band of RPMs in order to maintain the delivery of power from the engine. Now, that problem is solved, and I am itching for a Lotus again. Why? Well, no other car I've ever owned has handled better, or been more exciting to drive.

Would I be crazy enough to trade my Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet for one of these?....... :surprise:

Maybe. With the BMW 135i convertible, I'll already have a four-passenger convertible. Perhaps this Lotus Elise SC would be just right for weekend fun and track fun, too. I'm going to have to think about this.

TM
    Hmmmm.

Good looking car. The CLS is about to find itself with a lot of competition.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Great looking car.

Audi is getting better and better....
    Hi Tagman

Well after your last experience, I would think that the Lotus would be very limited --say mostly the track--as it is so small....Now smallness is fun , no doubt. but you may shortly start to miss the Porsche.....The Porsche I had , I very much enjoyed, but it`s day slowly passed, and I moved on, only to lesser cars in every way--although I didn`t know it at the time...I am intrigued by the Prius, only mentally, and will one day take a test in one...At that time I`l probably change my mind...Right now I think it would be fun to get alot of miles per gallon-sort of a challenge... I am going through a challenging period in my car world, and really don`t have a feeling for something that is exciting Tony
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Very entertaining video. Thanks for posting that. Too bad for the rwd Porsche, so I guess awd super cars can save less skilled drivers.
    My only issue with having the Z06 as a weekend fun car is that there is too many Corvettes out there. Way too many being used as DD. The same goes for the 911. The GT-R is reasonably priced, without markup of course. Due to limited supply, it will be a rare sight even at the tracks for the next few years.
    ...you may shortly start to miss the Porsche.....The Porsche I had , I very much enjoyed, but it`s day slowly passed, and I moved on, only to lesser cars in every way--although I didn`t know it at the time...

Right now I think it would be fun to get alot of miles per gallon-sort of a challenge... I am going through a challenging period in my car world, and really don`t have a feeling for something that is exciting

I openly admit that I am sort of wandering aimlessly in my mind about cars. And, I'm not alone when it comes to gas mileage woes. I kind of wonder if Honda and Toyota will be able to meet demand for its upcoming hybrids.

I guess I should not do anything for a while. I'll take the 135i convertible in about a week, but after that, I don't have a clue as to what I'm going to do. I, too, would really like to get something that is good on gas. I'm sick and tired of driving gas hogs. My Porsche 911 gas mileage sucks bad, and my wife's MDX SUV gas mileage also sucks. Our Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas gets reasonable gas mileage, due to it's nearly all-aluminum construction.

At some point, I'll want to change the "mix". But right now I can't figure it out. I believe that we need more quality cars that are also great on gas.

TM
    My only issue with having the Z06 as a weekend fun car is that there is too many Corvettes out there. Way too many being used as DD. The same goes for the 911.

Yeah, the 911 sure is out there, and since the body doesn't change much, it makes it look like there are even more of them. As great as the 911 is, it doesn't feel all that "special and unique" when I'm driving it... although the drive itself feels absolutely fantastic.

Too many 'Vettes? Maybe so.

But... still nice cars.

TM
    I'll bet you'll be reasonably satisfied with your new one'er on gas and probably tend to drive it more and more. Let's see if I am close!

Regards,
    OW
    Just get a color like this! Not too many of these babies out there!

My favorite color for the Z06.

Regards,
    OW
    You`l have a fun time with the bmw , top down, and the hot spell behind you :) A very attractive car....The only thing I have concluded is that if I consider the hybrid, then there can`t be a compromise, it`s either mpg or not....As you, the Audi gets fairly good milage, and the bmw get`s even better, but the Prius is around fifty, and alot of people have fun trying to get even better than they previously got....I think that may be fun.....but right now I am just looking forward to something that is in the future.....Remember just a tiny bit of Zaino on a damp applicator Tony
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Applied my first coat of Z-2 today on top of the two Z-5 from last month. Again, wowzer! Of course, it's supposed to rain gatos y perros the next couple of days...

I had to drive my son to a birthday party this morning, so I didn't have time to buff the Z-2 off. So, I drove him to the party at a "Lazer Zone" with my blue TL still covered in Zaino. Got him settled in at the party, then went out to the parking lot and buffed the TL! Then treated myself to a long lunch around the corner, catching up on Car and Driver. Picked him up, drove home, cut the lawn, washed the wife's car. Dinner, movie and ready for bed. Another Pleasant Valley Sunday. ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Doooo it, doooo it...

It makes a lot of sense. You already have the SUV, the luxobarge and the fun car. This could be your really fun car. Not to mention, it's about half the price of the Porsche and (although I haven't checked) gets great mileage, does it not?

By the way... do you ever drive the VP? It sounds like you've been driving the 1er more than anything else, and the 997 before you got that.

Agreed, I am also "wandering aimlessly" as you put it. Watching the XF more closely again as it may be a nice combination of space, performance and luxury for us--but I would more likely than not opt for the standard 300hp V8 for more efficiency. I don't really need anything more, right?

And I completely echo your sentiments about our market needing more quality cars that get good MPG. We are at an odd, awkward point in the industry right now. If there were more luxury diesels, the choices would be so much clearer; however, as is it seems like a give-and-take. If you want good mileage, you have to give up performance or luxury, or both. If you want a combination of those things, don't count on getting anything much better than 25MPG.

It sucks.

Just yesterday. They were $1200. They look brilliant. Will post pictures when it's nice out (tomorrow)?

This is my millenium. Thought I should give it a little celebratory post.

''08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    When the rep at the BMW dealer ordered my 135i convertible... he ordered it wit lh a Steptronic transmission and paddles. We found the mistake within two days and the car was re-ordered with a stick. The first order wasn't cancelled, however, as it was too late.

So... Within about 1 week, these twin 135i convertibles will be arriving at the dealership. One of them is mine. But which one? Should I stay with the stick, or should I go with the Steptronic?

If the wife wants to drive it, then we're talking the Steptronic. Should I do that for her? Or doesn't that matter? Stick or Auto?

TM
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I can just say to you that though I am enjoying my auto 335d, I would do it even more if she were manual. No paddles at my steering wheel. Wife is liking the auto more than me.

Nice video and pics those you've recently posted (Audi, Lotus, Corvette: all of them are very good looking cars). When watching the video I firstly thought it was filmed on Cheste (Valencia) Circuit, but after a while I was not convinced enough. Sure it was in dry Spain (there is a 'CAZA —>' sign in it), but I wonder where.

Regards,
    Jose
    Happy wife=happy life. I'll have to believe that she'll want to drive the 'vert. Steptronic.

More brilliant: Teach her to drive a stick. As I did my wife. Who announced after 10 years of row your own 5 speeds that she was done driving sticks (which became her RX300. Which she loves...).

Or, even more brilliant: Buy both!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Jose,
    I am shouting Viva Espana all the way. Just say NO to the Azzuri!! :)
    Or, even more brilliant: Buy both!

LOL

Don't encourage him, you know he might do just that...

I live vicariously through the automotive adventures of most of the denizens of this lounge...

Do it, Tag! Buy both! You know you want to! :blush:

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    David,
    The Red (The Spanglish Team) did it! Casillas is the best goalkeeper in the world!
    The curse is over. Now they are facing the Russians. Let's go for it. ¡A por ellos!

Regards,
    Jose
    HA! HA!
    Buy both? :surprise:
    Are you crazy?
    I'm looking for serious suggestions here. She already knows how to drive a stick fairly well, but not very well. I know she would grind some gears and burn the clutch now and then. The bigger problem is she won't put down her damned cell phone, and I can just see her trying to figure out the iDrive to make phone conversations with the Bluetooth all the while she is shifting gears. It's a no win situation to have her that distracted, even if she can shift 'em!

I think I'm going to get the stick. Maybe that way she'll just leave the car alone.

TM
    Just be straight with her, explain clearly your reasoning for your decision. Ensure that she understands your thorough thought process and acknowledges these facts and agrees to your decision. Have her sign a notarized, witnessed document attesting to this. Keep a copy with all your important documents.

This way, if the need arises to prove your point that it was a mutually agreed upon decision to buy the stick, whether it be in a court of law, the court of public opinion or The People's Court, you will have a legal, notarized, witnessed document to wipe away your tears. Because it just won't matter! She'll win! Happy wife = happy life! :blush:

Disclaimer: Yes, all of the above is just for fun, tongue in cheek. Should the emotorcon not convey that sentiment...

But seriously, if it is truly an issue, then my first sentences might be of use. Make it a joint decision, reach an accord.

It really might be easier just to buy one of each... ;)

Nice try, but I'm not buying one of each. :)

Right now, I'm not sure about ANY cars... and quite honestly that even includes the Porsche 911 and the BMW 135i.

At some point in the future, I'll change cars again. Most of you know me long enough to know that I can't keep most of my cars for too long. I hope for all your sakes that none of you ever becomes a car addict like me... it's just terrible... LOL.... really, it is. :sick:

Damn... why do I miss that Lotus sooooo much? :confuse:

TM
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Buy the stick. I noticed on my 335 that it has some type of Hill-holder device that keeps the car from rolling back on a hill. This has made it more accessible for my wife as that was one of the things that made her uncomfortable about my cars with sticks. Funny that as much as I read about cars and especially the 335 before buying I didn't even know of this feature, it is probably on the 135 as well.

Other than that the engine is just too sweet to get an auto - it really gets intersting as you get the revs into the wide power band - the stick just adds to the joy :shades:
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Over the years, I've taught a number of friends & relatives to drive a stick. In my (admittedly limited) experience, women pick it up more quickly than men. (Incidentally, it was Mom who taught me to shift gears.)

My bride brought a thirsty V-8 Camaro to our marriage, which began during the first 70s oil shock, while I had a 4-speed Civic hatch. Her commute was 20 miles each way; I took the train to work. So we had a strong economic incentive to switch cars. First, though, she had to learn to drive a stick.

Her first lesson was Saturday morning in an empty school parking lot. By Sunday, she was sufficiently skilled to handle local traffic. The next day, she drove the Civic to work.

For almost 20 years thereafter, she bought & drove nothing but sticks. Then one day, she announced that she was finished with sticks - that her next car would be an automatic. Like any sensible beaten-down, thoroughly cowed & happily married man, I smiled vacantly & said, "Of course, m'love."

But when we've taken my car (a stick) to a social event at which I've consumed just a bit too much alcohol to drive safely (rarely happens!), she gets us home.
    The nice thing is you get all the experience by switching often. BMW is making a 7 speeder A/T just for your wife in 2009!

The double-clutch automated manual offers every possible advantage to the overall performance envelope of the car. It shifts better and faster than any human can, and almost always produce better mileage and/or emissions (2 areas which will improve as further experience is gained). And it can be electronically tuned to produce fantastic results on the racetrack when teamed with multi-dimensional accelerometers and related sensors.

If you think out of the box, your wife might be driving the technology along with many other enthusiast's mates!

Next year, the Jag XF might tip your fancy. It looks real, real nice to me the first time I saw it!

Regards,
    OW
    I would not buy two either. However, you probably need to bribe her, you may need to buy her a fun car as well, but I am pretty sure she would want some thing different. Good luck
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Believe me Jose, I understand the horror of living with a football curse. For us it is the Curse of '66, for we are destined never to repeat.

To beat the most experienced defensive team ever is huge and to do it with the grit required for penalty shoot-outs should give yoru boys some real (Real?) resolve!

Russia will be tough though....