Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Well, here's the front/side view of the concept. We should see the Korean version this month.

NICE!!

Regards,
    OW
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Umm... The Korean version is already out...

More Equus pictures here
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I am no shutterbug

Oh, I meant many times cars just look better 'in vivo' than in pics, no matter who took the pic. Colors are particularly tricky. Anyhow, yours is a terrific bogey. Enjoy!

Regards,
    Jose
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Umm... The Korean version is already out...

Err... sort of, but not officially. The Korean Equus isn't scheduled to make it's official public debut until March 11th, which has been pushed back from the original date of March 3rd.
    And, the pic you posted was just released early this week. BTW, here's another interior pic...
    The Equus was just shown privately to the media on the first of this week.

I think it's clear that Hyundai is heading in the right direction, as it not only expands and makes advances in it's lower tiers, but demonstrates that it has what it takes to build impressive flagship models as well.

Here's a very good source... link title

TM
    Yes I understand and what I was trying to say is that the production version's pictures are already out. I understand that the car hasn't been formally introduced and obvious hasn't gone on sale yet.

Anyways I was trying to point out that the production version looks nothing like the concept.
    Gotcha.

For clarity... Previously, I made a recent post of the Equus interior that was only an illustration. So, my post today was to show the actual interior that will be in production, not the concept, and not an illustration. :)

Do you like the production Korean Equus?

TM
    Jose, you have the 335d? The reviews here have been quite favorable-terrific V8-like power with great mileage.

Let's refresh memories of my 335d:

It is not only about to get more fuel economy than with a comparable gas engine, but to sense a unique dynamic feeling every moment I drive her. It is like having to say repeatedly: hey, you're cheering up my day! Just yesterday I was speeding up just a bit to my own pleasure along a solitary bent road in my town skirts without feeling unsafe at the least when a local policeman asked me, waving his hands down, to slow my pace. :blush: OK, he was tolerant enough to appreciate values rather than rules! A rare specimen these days.

Regards,
    Jose
    Awesome!

Is the diesel version available with a retractable hardtop?

TM
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Besides, would most of your clients really know what you drive? And would they truly make some kind of judgement based upon your car?

Yes.

In reality investment returns are all what counts but unfortunately many clients get duped by appearances and that is why the finacial industry has a surplus of overpaid well attired flunkies.

As pathetic as this may sound but for some clients I drive the more expensive 530xi touring instead of my car. Filtering my clients based on their idealism is not an option for me.
    The AMC Eagle was one of the most innovative and mold breaking cars during the 1970s.
    Decades ahead of crossovers like the Lexus RX and the Subaru Outback.
    This AMC was way ahead of its time. So way ahead that few people appreciated it and today few even remember it. In fact so few people remember it that the majority thinks that the Outback/RX were the first vehicles of their kind.
    Misery loves company and at least I know that my BMW is not the only :lemon: out there.

Here is a journalist who did a little test drive on the BMW X6 and here are a few annoyances he had noticed.

1) But you'd think, given the sticker price, BMW would have thrown in a rear windshield wiper. After all, this is a car that's meant to tackle all sorts of road and weather conditions — like, for example, snow.

Alas, on my first day with the vehicle, Old Man Winter struck with a vengeance. On my way home I fumbled for the rear wiper switch only to find … there wasn't one. That made rear visibility — already compromised by the thick roof pillars — horrible.

2) What's more, the rear video camera, which is supposed to make life easier, quickly became a pain in the behind. The unit is so sensitive that it beeped at the slightest provocation — when I was several feet away from a snowbank, for example, or when I was parked on the street and a car passed by. After a while I began to ignore the incessant beeping and took to rolling down my window to see whether I was about to back into something.

3) Our frustrations did not end there. For no apparent reason, an engine warning light came on while we were visiting the other set of grandparents. Fearing the car might explode if I drove so much as another kilometre, I ran all the on-screen diagnostic tests and read through the manual but couldn't determine the source of the problem. So I called BMW and they said it may have had something to do with the battery discharge being low, but assured me it was nothing serious

4) Unfortunately, we never got to listen to any of our own tunes because, try as we might, we were unable to insert a disc into the CD player. Lastly, the "no seatbelt" alarm behaved erratically — sometimes it sounded when my wife unbuckled her seatbelt, sometimes it didn't.

5) The X6 has just four seats — two in the front and two in the back. So when my mother asked if she could catch a lift to a play along with my wife and two kids, I had to tell her there was no room. Even the diminutive Honda Fit can accommodate five people — at less than one-quarter of the price. It has a rear wiper, too.

link title
    Is the diesel version available with a retractable hardtop?

No, it isn't. There is 320d, 325d and 330d Cabrios. There is 335d Sedans, Tourings and Coupes. All 335d are automatic, it's said due to the torque. 335d Coupes come compulsory with sport settings. A delight.

Regards,
    Jose
    Do you like the production Korean Equus?

I like the front and back but not so much for the side profile, it looks like a gigantic Elantra from the side.

Oh and the hood ornament can go, seriously.

The interior is classy, reminds me a bit of Infiniti though with the nav/vent location and the analog clock. I still prefer the LS460's interior over the Equus. If Hyundai decides to bring it our way and price it aggressively say around $55k then I'll say it's LS400 all over again.
    Also, I remember Rambler with it's innovative push button tranny selector! This was American Mototrs at it's best!

In 1963, the entire Rambler line received the Motor Trend Car of the Year award.

Gosh, I'm ancient!

Regards,
    OW
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Just paid an unannounced visit to several petrol stations: the average price for diesel is a whopping 46 cents above premium petrol fuel. Yikes! Add on the typical $2000 purchase premium over a 335i...so who the heck here in the USA would buy a 335d?

Based on AAA, fuel prices for premium unleaded are 2.14/gal and diesel is 2.31/gal, or about an 10% premium (well, more like 8%) for diesel.

According to Edmunds, comparing the 335i to the 335d shows the 335i getting 26 mpg hwy and the 335d getting 36 mpg hwy, for a difference of about 30%. For your $0.16, you are traveling an additional 10 miles.

I also think that from an eco-political standpoint, diesel is strong because it can be created within the US as a renewable energy source.

I also noticed the 335d is quoted as an automatic only (a detraction for me, but not for others) and the 335i is priced only as a manual which might get into the $2000 price differential between the vehicles.

The biggest problem is most people associate diesels with miserable vehicles from the early 80s.
    Thanks for the explanation. As far as the new Prius is concerned, I believe that it has a lot of the controls right on the steering wheel like the more expensive cars.

I think that is par for the course these days, as the base model (13k) Mazda3 has steering wheel controls for audio features and others, and the Focus has SYNC which provides all the voice control of a bluetooth phone and a USB based music player (iPod).
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    It is true. The 335d is only available in the US as an automatic. Enthusiasts need not apply.
    Does your 335d have a MT? The 335d offered in the US is only with AT.

Any engine problems? A lot of complaints in NA regarding the twin-turbo.
    leboy...
    If you ever want to search the archives, you'll discover some seriously loooooooong and heavy-duty debates on this forum about the virtues of diesels vs. standard gas ICE counterparts, and even diesels vs. hybrids. You might be surprised to discover that at one time I was a major diesel supporter, and I argued at length how and why diesel was going to become the better alternative. Well... things have changed, and I've changed my perspective to a large degree.

Sure, it's a forgone conclusion that the mathematics can support diesel vehicles, more or less depending upon the geographic area due to varying prices for diesel fuel. And, you and I know there are genuine virtues of modern clean diesel engines.

But, regardless of the percentage amounts of fuel cost differences that you have offered... bottom line is that diesel fuel is generally the most expensive of the fuels, and it's just not comfortable for most consumers to sign on to a vehicle that must use the most expensive fuel. It's a barrier that can't be easily overcome.

And, no matter how you slice it, it's a tough hurdle to overcome the old reputation for smelly, smokey, and slow clatter boxes. On top of that General Motors partially killed one of the only good parts of that old reputation... which was that diesel engines were typically known to be incredibly durable and that they could outlast their gas counterparts. But along came those General Motors diesel engines, and durability was flushed down the toilet.

Add to that, the abandonment of diesels in our marketplace by Mercedes Benz, who had been previously selling some of the world's best diesel-powered cars. Heck, Dewey still has one.

Now look at the hybrids, which often run on regular. And, they are sold by Japanese car companies, well-known for reliability. They have a high-tech nature about them. They are a pathway to all-electric. They gain major momentum in the marketplace well before clean diesels even have a chance. They are now proven and acceptable alternatives. They are perceived as "green". They even had celebrity status early on.

Game over. In United States... Gas and Gas/Hybrids win.

TM
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Mr H

A long time :).. I was sorry to read that you didn`t quite feel the ``love` for the new bmw....Man you were a ball of fire for the 5 series, and I hoped that passion would come back with the three....I certainly understand your feeling on the lack of simplicity on the new cars, and also their extra weight...But still you sitting down there in the ` lap of luxury` was a nice thought as I have been stuck up here in the miserable cold..:) ...You were one of the few who forsaw this miserable economy developing, so I have missed your words of wisdom.....Take Care Tony ps the Audi is a complicated car also...
    Next time around, I will be looking at the smaller 1 Series in an attempt to re-capture what those wonderful 325i's from earlier years provided me.

Words of wisdom. :shades:

TM
    Hi Tony.

I'm sorry I gave up the 545i. Should have bought it. BMWFS offered me a great deal. I will drown myself in rum cake to try and forget.

You know Tampa made the top five cities folks want to live in according to a recent Pew survey. Quite proud of that. The others were Denver, San Diego, Seattle and Orlando.

Tony, I thought you have a place in Florida...or has the rum cake habit deadened too many of my neurons? ;)

You are right Tony-I did have premonitions of the economy contracting a while back, but I got hurt too. At this time I am only 5.3% in the stock market. We are living through a very dangerous time thanks to the feds' interfering in the normal business cycle; feeling that they must "do something." I was hoping the feds would say "no" to a Chrysler/GM bail out, that they would be back for more, and sure enough, here they are again! The feds should have hung tough the first time. Bankruptcy was the only viable option. Nothing to be ashamed of. Would have allowed them to restructure the proper way. Now you know where your tax money is going Tony.... down the drain!!

Incidentally, it wouldn't hurt if BO deleted the "catastrophe" word from his vocabulary.
    The sheer bulk of the 328i is disappointing and the dashboard control layout is ridiculous. A few years ago, the 5 Series was this big. :(
    Now look at the hybrids, which often run on regular. And, they are sold by Japanese car companies, well-known for reliability. They have a high-tech nature about them. They are a pathway to all-electric. They gain major momentum in the marketplace well before clean diesels even have a chance. They are now proven and acceptable alternatives. They are perceived as "green". They even had celebrity status early on.

Is it their "import" status that makes them desirable? I really feel like the current and previous generation Priusus (Priii?) were/are usability nightmares, between the sequencing the press the start button, put your foot on the brake, press the start button again, click the thing into reverse (and what does "B" do?), it starts beeping at you...I dunno, its just not for me. The cup holders work okay with a large cup or 20 oz Coke/Pepsi/H20 bottle, but you can't reach a 12 oz aluminum can.

I do like the horizon display on the Prius (the digital readout for speed). For older drivers using a traditional display, the time it takes their eyes to adjust from staring at a road scene (effectively optical infinity) to something close up is noticeable. The horizon display is focused at something that approximates optical infinity so there is no cost to the driver in readjusting his or her eyes to read the display (the Honda Civic uses a similar, two-tiered display to get the same effect). That said, the reflection of my speed in the side glass I can do without.

Would the hybrids coming from domestic manufacturers (like the highly publicized Ford Fusion Hybrid or the "mild hybrid" Aura/Malibu from GM) warrant a first or second glance?
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    LG... what's your take?

Like the concept sketch, it seems very nice, but extremely derivative, mostly of the Lexus LS with a few minor Mercedes ques here and there. It certainly appears luxurious, but it breaks no new ground and takes no chances. This interior could've been made by anyone. There's just nothing that's interesting about it, and it certainly has no brand identity of any kind.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of the Maybach, which also is an enormous luxo-boat with no identify. The Rolls is a Rolls, and looks like one inside and out. The Maybach is just kind of a big nothing. Calling it a Maybach is meaningless, as it has nothing in common with any real Maybach ever created. They might as well call it "large luxury model 1".

I just don't see anything compelling here. It doesn't have the flair of a Maserati Gran Turismo, or the sleek, ultra modern design of a CL550. There's no Bentley richness, or Audi attention to detail. It's just... nice.
    There's no Bentley richness, or Audi attention to detail. It's just... nice.

Good post, and I must agree, but... I personally think that "nice" is exactly what Hyundai needs to do right now. Sure... go up the luxury tree with the big boys, but don't go too far out on a limb... not yet... not with the name Hyundai. If and/or when Hyundai's lux badge becomes Genesis, or as a little more time passes and the Hyundai name takes on new meaning (which it will)... that will be the time to go further out on the limb. And, I fully expect they will go further out on that limb and push the envelope in the not-too-distant future, as we will see more radical and premium and distinctive design elements from Hyundai make their way into production.

In the meantime, "nice" is... well... nice!

TM
    Does your 335d have a MT? The 335d offered in the US is only with AT

335d is offered only with AT in Europe as well; it is said that her tremendous torque would damage an MT. :confuse: This 335d is my first owned car with AT. It took six months to get myself used to AT. I drive in 'M' mode most of the time, however. :blush:

Any engine problems? A lot of complaints in NA regarding the twin-turbo

None in one year of ownership, 16,000 miles ( :D but keeping crossed my fingers).

Regards,
    Jose
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Game over. In United States... Gas and Gas/Hybrids win

That is so true. Just KC, it seems that the Prius is just as popular as say the 3 series in Toronto. I see them every where, in fact, I think there are more of them than there are 3 series here. I also saw a lot of previous gen TLs.

Regarding the new RX, I believe Lexus is doing the right thing by not messing around with the winning formula too much. I feel that my current RX 350 is good with the exception of brake modulation ability for smooth stops (no problem here with the IS), and somewhat soft handling to gain the smooth ride. I am also interested in the new hybrid version, and if these areas improved, I will be tempted to trade in the old one.

I still can't believe LL has some how turned anti BMW. Let's make a guess on which next LL auto brand will suffer similar fate (I think Acura was first, then BMW, then ...).
    I occasionally use the 'M' mode myself, but don't like the noticeable hit I take in gas mileage. Using the straight AT, I have achieved an average of 25.2 mpg (60% highway) using premium petrol since November 3, 2008 which is slightly better mileage than the much lighter 5 cylinder Rabbit. However, given the latter taking regular grade petrol, averaging 24.8 mpg (60% highway) since July 14, 2008, the Rabbit saves me a few bucks over the BMW.

I do feel that averaging 25.2 mpg over almost 4 months, given the BMW's bulk and power, is amazing. The BMW inline 6 remains one of the world's great automotive engines, only being beaten by the twin turbo in low-end torque, given real world driving conditions.
    Now if only BMW would get back to serious business and design a better 3 Series vehicle around its terrific inline 6! ;)
    I still can't believe LL has some how turned anti BMW. Let's make a guess on which next LL auto brand will suffer similar fate (I think Acura was first, then BMW, then ...).

I cant believe there is such a thing as a brand lover or hater. Being a brand fan and unconditionally loving everything related to a brand is as infantile as as an infant clinging on to his teddy bear.

There is more than a subtle difference between hating a owned car called a BMW 335i and hating everything related to BMW. I want to buy a Prius or a hybrid Lexus. Does that make me a Toyota lover? God I hope not.
    Finally it has been confirmed by a judicial verdict. A Prius is not a luxury car.

Boy am I in the wrong forum. :surprise:

link title
    Here's a list of what is likely to in a 2010 Prius.

The option packages sound very impressive. More impressive than what is available in many luxury cars. (does that make a Prius a luxury car?)

link title
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Dewey,

Those are very impressive features indeed. However, if I am reading it right, it is a little disappointing that one cannot get the solar roof with the advanced technology package. It states:

No Solar Roof available with LEDs/fogs or Adv Tech Package (weight/engineering challenge already mentioned) .

I don't understand why this would be a weight/engineering challenge. Given a choice, I guess I would go with the advanced technology package and skip the solar roof.
    Yeah they could have elaborated a bit more about the weight/engineering challenges.

I am still undecided on what options I would pick.

I
    I still can't believe LL has some how turned anti BMW.

NO. That's just not the case. Not the entire LL.

Dewey, for sure, has had enough reasons to be anti-BMW.

But, clembo and Jose and hpowders and myself all like BMW. That's at least FOUR of us here on the LL.

Powders should have kept his beloved 5-Series, and it's understandable that his 3-Series can't live up to what he previously had. But in some sense, his current 3-Series is now almost a large as his wonderful 5-Series was.

I still love my BMW. I just need to decide between keeping it or the Jag. It's a tough choice, but I'm most likely going to stay with the 135i convertible FTW.

What's cool here, IMO, is the continued growth in popularity of Audi... and it makes good sense.

Also, the positive sentiment towards hybrids is clear now.

Even Hyundai is finally gaining some acceptance and respect a bit further across the board here. :surprise:

But, I don't see a major anti-BMW sentiment. However, to be fair, BMW seems geared towards making too many different vehicles, and I think that requires some serious "pruning". In that regard, there is some selective negative sentiment. Most of us would agree that they need to do some pruning.

But, bottom line... BMW still makes some really terrific fun cars.

TM
    "No Solar Roof available with LEDs/fogs or Adv Tech Package (weight/engineering challenge already mentioned)"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Reminds me of the earlier generation Honda Pilot. The consumer had to choose between the Navigation or the Rear Entertainment System... but couldn't get both. Real reason turned out to be inadequate wiring harness. Only the Acura MDX counterpart received the adquate wiring harness.

I'll bet some green that this 2010 Prius wasn't originally expected to get some of these options, so the master wiring harness gets maxxed out... forcing the consumer to make a choice.

I don't understand why this would be a weight/engineering challenge. Given a choice, I guess I would go with the advanced technology package and skip the solar roof.

Well... the advanced technology package and model V don't offer one single thing that makes any real difference, other than foglamps, and there's a good chance that they could be added later on in the service department... I'd check to see when the time comes to make your decision. If you want the 17" wheels, I imagine they could also be changed afterwards. On the other hand, the entire solar moonroof assembly is a major useful option, and you aren't about to add it seperately. If I were to buy the car, I'd definitely get that moonroof / solar roof option, and add those other items afterwards. That way I'd have everything I wanted.

Who the hell needs lane assist or park assist or adaptive cruise anyway? The car already has normal parking sensors and cruise control. And I have no probelm staying in my own lane. Save that kind of worthless junk for the Lexus HS250h. ;)

TM
    Here is a good read on the current hit to Luxury Brands. I now see why the Prius is going to continue it's popularity. Dewey, looks like you are ahead of the trend.

Rough Ride for Luxury

In any kind of downturn, people are reluctant to show off, said Jack Nerad, market analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

But the trend is more pronounced in this recession, he said, because of another long-term shift: growing concern for the environment, the effect of car emissions on the earth's atmosphere, and the planet's dwindling resources.

A look at who buys the Toyota Prius hybrid, which starts at $22,000, shows how these two trends are dovetailing, he said.

"A lot of potential luxury car customers went into Prius," Nerad said, while Toyota's premium Lexus hybrids "have largely fallen flat."

Prius buyers earn more than $100,000, on average, and many of them could easily afford a flashier nameplate, he said.

Regards,
    OW
    Who the hell needs lane assist or park assist or adaptive cruise anyway? The car already has normal parking sensors and cruise control. And I have no probelm staying in my own lane. Save that kind of worthless junk for the Lexus HS250h.

Man, I don't know about that Tag. I would not call some of these features "worthless junk". After driving with radar/adaptive cruise control for several years now on my LS, I don't think I could do without it. I absolutely love this feature for long trips.
    Well, my wife and I test drove the new RX350 this afternoon. In my opinion, it is a significant improvement over the previous model. The car is quieter and the seating is more comfortable. After viewing/studying it more closely, I actually like its exterior look. But it is the interior layout that I really like. The instrument panel and the next generation navigation system is second to none. I even played around with the mouse/joy stick and found it easy to use. The voice recognition system is a big improvement. The vehicle we drove did not have a few of the high tech features such as "panoramic" cameras, lane assist, and radar cruise, but those are definitely available. By the way, it has plenty of power.

My wife is quite excited about it and we will be anxiously waiting for the hybrid version to be released this spring. All she needs to do is choose the color and the appropriate options. I imagine we will be getting it fully loaded with the possible exception of the rear DVD screens. I am pretty certain we will opt for the one payment lease option.

The new RX350 (one we drove today) will be unveiled to the public this Monday evening. Among other things, they will have 20 minute discussions about its features and the differences between the old and the new generation.
    ".... hpowders and myself all like BMW."

Yes, when I say the current 328i is not a lot of fun to drive, this is coming from someone who has been driving BMWs since 1993; I am comparing it to my 3 other BMWs and thus the criticism is directed at the highest level of performance available to most folks over the last 16 years in the entry level luxury sedan category.

In most car magazine comparos the 2007-2008 328i almost exclusively beats offerings from Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Audi and Infiniti, though the latter seems to be closing in rapidly with its G37 coupe.

The current bulky, technology-drunk 328i is still the benchmark of the entry level luxury sedan/coupe category.
    However, I can definitely say with complete certainty that the current 328i sedan is not as satisfying to drive as the 1993 325i and the 2002 325i sedans.

I'm sure a lot of you folks would enjoy driving my 328i....I just had to drive a 545i for 3 years and ruin everything for myself! :mad:

I don't hate BMW; just wish they would get back to building a 3 Series sedan that they used to do so well.
    Have you tested the 135i? I thought that was high on performance. What is your feeling about the 1-series?

Regards,
    OW
    Howard, your are right, Istill have my place in Miami, and love it down there...Just unfortunately I got stuck up here dealing with a bunch of stuff---just at the wrong time of year--and Hope to get back down there in a couple of weeks...

I`m of the opinion that the gov. should try and do something so we as a whole don`t suffer a depression....Many people -through now fault of their own--have lost their job and need a little breathing room to get back on their feet.....So far I have been disappointed in the Treasury, and truly amazed at the banking situation...The autos are all politicks as far as I can see....and agree with you about a gov. controlled bankruptcy....

Nice to hear from you :) Tony
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    I can't speak for Mr. H, but if long term memory serves, he requires room to swallow a bike. Can the 135i do that? Could be a reason for the request of a hot hatch from BMW? Because I definitely remember he's against racks. ;-)
    Dewey, for sure, has had enough reasons to be anti-BMW.

Tagman,

I dont hate BMW. I loved my 98 BMW323i and my wife's BMW 530xi Touring is just fine. They also happen to make the best engines in the world.

My hate is personally against my own BMW 335i.

In fact I wrote all the above today in my post 17796. I dont blame you that you missed reading that post since I do babble too much here. ;)
    Prius buyers earn more than $100,000, on average, and many of them could easily afford a flashier nameplate, he said.

In this day and age there is certain wisdom in appearing not as affluent especially if you really are affluent ;)

For those who do flaunt their bling then beware of neighbors, friends and family members. Please refer to the Businessweek article below:

link title
    I don't hate BMW; just wish they would get back to building a 3 Series sedan that they used to do so well.

I have always had an affinity for the E36 BMWs, and to a lesser degree, the E46. I think the E36 M3 is about the top of automotive development. In the mid to late 90s there was nothing that could match the combination of speed, handling, comfort, practicality, and style. I am not saying cars haven't improved since then, just the changes have been much more evolutionary then revolutionary. I think a CamCord with the V6 is about as fast, although considerably less involving to drive.
    Hi Tag

Would you not loose more money with the bmw? or are they about the same (jag vs bmw) Tony
    THis weekend or the next will be my test drive date with my family with a Lexus RX350.

An RX450H vs. a Toyota Prius?

I will keep an open mind but I do favor the Prius lll with the solar sun roof. My wife is already showing the kids our new car : The RX450H. I most likely will have to break the sad news to them. ;)

Like Tag I dont care for the other options. I find them pointless BUT they may be perfect for those with more discriminating tastes.This will be my first car with bluetooth, satellite radio and a 6 CD unit in the dash.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Satellite radio has been okay so far, but I'm still at the mercy of what they play. 6 in dash CD player is nice, I guess for '97, but who the H has cd's these days? IPOD interface (or like) should be standard.
    Satellite radio has been okay so far, but I'm still at the mercy of what they play. 6 in dash CD player is nice, I guess for '97, but who the H has cd's these days? IPOD interface (or like) should be standard.

I've been surprised by how slow the "trickle up" has been with respect to iPod connectivity. Bluetooth and USB media is available for $400 on a $14,000 Ford Focus (and standard on the highest model, throughout Ford), and the system seems to work better than the one in the Lexus, the one in the Acura (which was so bad in last year they stopped selling it), and the one in the Cadillac.

I think the hard drive based systems are foolish as well, as then you are required to rip all your CDs to the hard drive in the vehicle after you already ripped them to your computer (or downloaded the songs) and then transfered them to your personal music player.

I was kind of taken aback by the Infiniti and Acura integrations. Even the one in the Mini requires an audio cable and a control cable because Mini wouldn't purchase the proprietary chip to stream digital audio from an iPod.