Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Well, I am sure you will not second guess that decision. Very best of luck!

Regards,
    OW
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I don't think that anyone jumped in to defend BMW because those of us that have them understand that they do demand that the owner makes certain compromises - I'll list a few.

On the good side you get a great engine, great vehicle dynamics, sport package option which adds to the fun, nice luxury touches, some have great styling, and you get a bit of badge prestige.

On the down side you pay a lot for the performance, you get less than great interiors, some reliability issues, terrible run-flat tires, I-Drive, some have strange styling, and you may be percieved as a snob by some due to the badge.

In my opinion, BMW's have become nore of a compromise to own as they have tried to appeal to more people to raise sales. Not that long ago they were mainly coveted by entusiasts who liked fun to drive cars and usually not a lot of fluff. Now thay have become very complicated and appeal to a wider audience.

I am looking forward to see what tough decisions BMW will make going forward. Getting rid of Bangle is a good start, now that they have stopped subsidizing their leases they will need to really provide value to the cash buyer who will demand more for for their money as other choices exist.
    Be careful. The 128i is a good car. The 135i is a different animal...as I'm sure you are quite aware.

I drove both and can never again consider the 128. :sick:

Regards,
    OW
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Thanks for the warning! Heh! Heh!

I pretty much know what I am in store for, having driven a 545i for 3 years. :)

When I see the owner complaints subsiding a bit, I will consider driving a 135i.

It's funny how all logical debate of the merits of purchasing a 128i vs 135i gets thrown out the window after one actually drives both of them (and I will). I can make valid arguments for purchasing the 128i over the 135i as I did for the 328i over the 335i. I made a mistake in my logical philosophizing....I failed to take into account that the "fun to drive" factor totally eclipses "better mileage", "more reliable engine", etc;
    It's called the Jones Bubble. The folks that bit will need the most help.

The foundation of the financial system are always the people with their heads screwed on straight. When the Jones outweigh the sensible, the economy suffers.

“One of the predictors of a happy vs. an unhappy outcome (to the economic collapse) has to be with the rule of the elite or the decision makers or the Bread Line, Chicago, WPA photopoliticians or the rich people within the society. If the society is structured so that the decision makers themselves suffer from the consequences of their decisions then they’re motivated to make decisions that are good for the whole society whereby if the decisionmakers can make decisions that insulate them from the rest of society then they are likely to make decisions that are bad for society. [In this case] I think I would like the rich to suffer even more, the politicians to suffer even more because they would then be motivated to solve the problems and they wouldn’t have the sense that “It’ll be okay for us.”

David Faber: If somewhere along the line someone could have said to the the guys at the bank, “You’re doing the wrong thing,” [said] to the lender, ‘You’re doing the wrong thing,’ maybe we could have averted this crisis.”

Alan Greenspan: It’s not that they weren’t aware the risks were there. It’s not that these people were dumb. They knew precisely what was going on. The vast majority of them thought that they knew when to get out. It was a failure of our best and our brightest.

David Faber: “You seem to have been relying on the good judgment of the management to say, ‘We’re going to step out now.’ These weren’t bad decisions they were making. These were the worst decisions financial executives have ever made. Greed played a part in this.

Alan Greenspan: “And you’re going to pass legislation that’s going to outlaw that. Try it.

Faber: So you still believe in the free market…

Alan Greenspan: I firmly believe that because I know of nothing in the evidence of the alternatives.

Faber: Fully acknowledging the bad things that go along with it?

Greenspan: This is one of the most extraordinary things about this whole episode. Looking at the way we all behaved, how is it possible that this species built up such an extraordinary world standard of living that has drawn hundreds of thousands of people out of poverty? The thing we should be most extraordinarily appreciative of is how far this system has carried us because there is no doubt that somewhere in the future we’re going to have this thing again. It will not be for quite a period of time, but it will occur because the flaws in human nature are such that it doesn’t work.

Regards,
    OW
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    I just got a notice from Lexus asking to replace the fuel delivery pipes in my IS. They stated that NA fuel can corrode these pipes. Apparently this also affects the GS and LS models.
    My dealership service personnel said that the fix is free of charge, and they also whispered that they would fill up the gas tank after the work is done.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    It's funny how all logical debate of the merits of purchasing a 128i vs 135i gets thrown out the window after one actually drives both of them (and I will). I can make valid arguments for purchasing the 128i over the 135i as I did for the 328i over the 335i. I made a mistake in my logical philosophizing....I failed to take into account that the "fun to drive" factor totally eclipses "better mileage", "more reliable engine", etc;

It's the same logical debate that caused you to purchase the 328i in the first place. Surely you don't want to repeat that again so quickly! Heck, I almost chose the Jag over the 135i for the same logical mentality, and in doing so, I allowed myself to be emotionally deprived for a number of weeks, until I couldn't take it any more. Now, driving is a happy experience once again. Thankfully, before it was too late!

There really aren't any ultra significant downside issues associated with choosing the 135i over the 128i. What are you concerned about? The TT engine, as Dewey pointed out, is a worldwide multiple award recipient... and it truly deserves them. I love the engine.

If you have any questions or concerns at all about the 135i, I'm the guy to ask on this forum. I'll only give you the straight dope on the car... the pros and the cons, so fire away. :)

TM
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Lexus fills the tank on anything like that.
    Who wouldn't? On a repair/recall like that, a full tank should be SOP.

TM
    Sorry to hear that.

While it was stated recently by another poster that virtually all cars built today are "good", none of them are completely bulletproof. It is still a crapshoot and one has to be lucky. I was fortunate not to have to bring any of my 4 BMW's in for anything but routine maintenance, except for one time-that's once in 16 years.

Sounds like Lexus is much better than BMW as far as honoring warranty items. I had a heck of a time trying to get a free battery for the 545i when the original one died on me in late 2007. BMW attempted to blame my driving style and told me I must pay! A few phone calls "upstairs" and the service manager saw the light and replaced the battery free of charge. After that I took my BMW business elsewhere and gave the service dept. all "1's" when I was called by BMW to rate my experience.

The most pleasant sales experience I ever had was back in 2005 at Lexus when I drove the GS 300 and GS 430. I didn't buy, but recommended the salesman to a friend who did buy. The salesman sent me an unsolicited check to express his gratitude! So nice! I can certainly see why many folks choose to drive Lexus vehicles-the service experience can be wonderful.
    "It's the same logical debate that caused you to purchase the 328i in the first place."

Exactly! That was the point I was attempting to make. What works on the drawing board can fail miserably in actual practice.

The Jag is nice. One of our friends has one-the styling is nice and the seats are beautiful, but it is not too roomy and I wouldn't want to drive one every day.

Knowing your bias (like many of us) toward exhillirating vehicles, you made the correct choice!

Heck, even "haven't-got-a-clue" Consumer Reports took its blinders off, decided a vehicle that can actually be fun to drive is a positive thing and rated the 135i Coupe an astonishingly high 97 last October!

I appreciate your willingness to provide me with help regarding the 135i. If anything comes up, I surely will ask you. :)

I will give it a few months. I want to put some miles on the 328i before I trade it in.
    I saw the new RX too, at my dealership yesterday when I took in my RX for a new battery. I have to agree with you that the interior is really nice, and the front seats felt a lot better. I have to get used to the new front end, but I do like the rear and the overall sleeker shape/profile. You mentioned power, I think its the new six speeds auto helps since it's pretty much the same 3.5 V6 isn't it?
    I can't wait to test drive the new hybrid version.
    I just saw a new RX 350 (black) about an hour ago parked on the street. It looks bigger and less "feminine"-a step in the right direction for many of us who have always considered the RX to be a woman's vehicle.
    This is my first recall involving my three Lexus vehicles so far
    I agree that Lexus does live up to its reputation for excellent customer service. It's the best of all auto brands that I have had.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Dewey

About forty years ago, the news paper in Charleston ran a series of articles on the house prices before the Civil War and after it.....As we both can imagine , when prosperity is interrupted the house price slowly begins to decline, and then much more rapidly until it just doesn`t become a factor anymeore, sort of like what has happened to the major banks over the last couple of years...People point their finger at different culprits, but in the end it just doesn`t matter....I think the loss of supporting values in our American economy is going to continue and the housing decline will also continue until it just doesn`t matter, as the large majority of people need a roof over their head, and will continue to pay their mortgage for it...Those that can`t will rent, and the forclosed properties will languish until they are marked down to a point that someone makes the effort to buy...realizing their present home is worth alot less also....Tony
    The one area BMW really needs to improve on is its customer service.

I can't count how many times I have been to car dealers for sales and service, but I have to say based on what I have found, BMW is behind VW and most certainly, Lexus.
    One of the biggest lies perpetrated on the American public in recent years is "everybody can own his own home." There is nothing wrong or shameful in renting.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    One of the biggest lies perpetrated on the American public in recent years is "everybody can own his own home." There is nothing wrong or shameful in renting.

Agreed. For so many reasons...the workforce right now is pretty migratory, and being able to move to where the jobs are or closer to work can help a lot with the quality of your life and commute times and family time etc. That down payment you would've used on the house can be invested. You have much more liquidity. There are no maintenance issues on the rented house.
    Imagine making mortgage loans without background checks! I don't blame the customers. The bankers should be held accountable for their part of the current mess the USA is in. They had the obligation and responsibility to say "no" to folks who were buying too much house and for some, buying any house! They weren't doing their job. The feds shouldn't be giving these banks loans. They should be issuing heavy punitive fines to the responsible banks so it never happens again.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    There really aren't any. . .downside issues associated with choosing the 135i over the 128i.

The TT engine, as Dewey pointed out, is a worldwide multiple award recipient. . .

If you lease, as most do, I'll throw in with you.

OTOH, if you buy, as BMW seems to be encouraging these days, there could be long-term engine life issues with the TT, particularly for the earlier cars that didn't come with the oil cooler. Turbocharger maintenance/replacement is a big deal if you have to pay for it yourself.

There's been a bit of discussion in Roundel regarding reprogramming TT engines (by BMW during routine maintenance) to reduce the thermal load, which removes much of the low-end grunt that the engine is so famous for. All may not be well with the motor.

Time will tell.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I can't wait to test drive the new hybrid version.

We have pretty much decided that the new hybrid will be my wife's next RX. We are quite impressed with the gas version. The hybrid will be even better. We are going to go with the the one payment lease option for 3 years.
    Actually, quite the opposite. BMW is releasing a performance option that will increase the net power that can be drawn from the TT. Until now, they have been fiddling a bit with the ECU to dial it in, but that's not a big issue at all. The cars already now come with the oil cooler, so that's not an issue either.

If Hpowders were to get a 135i, as I did, he would have the benefit of getting a later one with most tweaks already in place.

For example, the most recent ECU change actually returns the the low-end grunt that the previous update had robbed. So, BMW has obviously been at work trying to find the best sweet spot on this wonderful engine.

Truly, this engine is awesome, and frankly, the bigger issue has been the HPFP. They now have a version of that HPFP that is supposedly the real fix, but time will tell. Mine was changed early on to that newest version, and I've had no problem with it ever since.

One more thing I should mention... There are always those guys that beat the you-know-what out of this engine, and then they complain about it. They do these various mods, and then complain about the damage they have caused. After the damage, they remove the mods and put the burden and blame on BMW.

TM
    "If Hpowders were to get a 135i...he would have the benefit of getting a later one with most tweaks already in place."

Yes. I plan on waiting a bit. I will be perusing the various 1 Series threads to check on reliability issues. I have a feeling that with the 2010 model, the 135i will have a clean bill of health.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    some reliability issues, terrible run-flat tires, I-Drive, some have strange styling, and you may be percieved as a snob by some due to the badge.

I wouldn't say some reliability issues, I keep hearing about x6 troubles,especially about the engine heating problems on a monthly basis.

But as far as run flats are concerned, maybe harsh ride,but it can save lives.
    Sorry to break your heart but if you are a BMW X6 fan than you are the only X6 fan in this forum.

A heartbreak hotel for X6 fans is what this forum really is.

Thats not important to me. But x6 reliability is.
    Gentlemen,

The upcoming 2010 Audi S5 Cabriolet is absolutely stunning.

Check it out here... Two pic albums and a video!...

2010 Audi S5 Cabriolet

Wow! Interesting that there's no retractable hardtop... looks like Audi stayed with a traditional softtop.

Also, be aware that the new Mercedes Benz E-Class Coupe will be revealed in its convertible form at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show in September. From what I've seen of the coupe... I expect it to be an attractive convertible... The 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Convertible ... but quite honestly, I'd take the Audi S5 Cab in a heartbeat!

:shades:

TM
    just got a notice from Lexus asking to replace the fuel delivery pipes in my IS. They stated that NA fuel can corrode these pipes. Apparently this also affects the GS and LS models.
    My dealership service personnel said that the fix is free of charge, and they also whispered that they would fill up the gas tank after the work is done.

I first heard about this problem on Club Lexus about a month a half ago. Yes, there are quite a few LS's that also have the problem. Fortunately, mine is not included.
    Just came from perusing a popular 1 Series board.

One guy took ownership of a new 2009 128i Coupe recently on a Monday and had a breakdown the following Wednesday on the freeway near Long Beach, California. The culprit was a bad fuel pump.... so it's not just the 135i. :surprise:

Discouraging.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333

Wow! Not a hybryd. Nor economic or fuel efficient. More at Inside Line.

Regards,
    Jose
    One guy took ownership of a new 2009 128i Coupe recently on a Monday and had a breakdown the following Wednesday on the freeway near Long Beach, California. The culprit was a bad fuel pump.... so it's not just the 135i.

Depressing :mad:
    The culprit was a bad fuel pump...

BMW may still be using up some of the prior HPFPs on the 128is... unless it was the updated version that failed. It would be interesting to know, because I was under the impression that they were transitioning to the newer one.

Heck, my HPFP had issues early on, and they replaced it with the updated version, and it's been perfect ever since. I already posted about it, as you recall.

I can tell you that I certainly don't regret owning a 135i because of that issue. No way! Needing a new HPFP was almost predictable, as many owners have reported similar circumstances.

It's a shame,of course, but keep it in perspective. Afterall, which model of the HPFP do you have in your 328i right now? And which one was in your 545i? If you checked the various BMW forums, would you discover that there are similar HPFP issues associated with your 328i, or other models as well?

To be honest, me biggest complaints about this car don't have anything to do with the HPFP... but more about the bucket loads of brake dust, and the lack of enough functional cupholders. IOW, nothing much to complain about. :)

TM
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Len,

the tragic situation is this: Even if Morgan and Goldman are guilty of many violations do you honestly think the SEC or any government regulatrory agency will impose hefty fines on these corporations when the financial industry is not only unstable but also getting to the point of insolvency?

"Too Big to Fail" also means "Too Big for Justice".
    Seems like everyone driving a BMW has the brake dust problem. It's something I have put up with since 1993.

I haven't seen any 328i threads with fuel pump complaints. I will, however, go back and look. Maybe there are.

Speaking of brakes, TM, do you know if all 135i's get the incredible Brembo brakes, or only the 135i's with sport package? Thanks.

I do believe that no 335i gets Brembo brakes. Score a big one for the 135i.

Hpowders
    Circlew and Tony,

things are not too uplifting out there.

But about the only thing that is becoming uplifting today are stock valuations of various companies. If stock prices keep dropping and dropping each day there will be a point where many positve cash flow generating companies are selling at a fraction of what they hold in cash or net working capital. When that day happens that will be the day when owning stocks will become more risk free than any government debt and at the same time produce double digit returns in the future. The richest returns are made during maximum pessimism History has always proven that notion.
    As you all know by now the new Toyota hybrid Supra has been cancelled from Toyota plans.

Toyota's new priority is simple inexpensive cars and hybrids.

My new Prius will probably be the very last Toyota that has such sophisticated technologies based on the following:

Among other things, there's a move away from technologically sophisticated in-car gizmos like a solar-powered cooling system designed for the new Prius.

Toyota had built an image of sturdy affordability, "but now they were wrecking it," Mr. Cummings says he told Mr. Toyoda.

Based on subsequent conversations with the younger Mr. Toyoda and other executives, Mr. Cummings says he expects the company to overhaul its pricing strategy.

The company is also reining in its engineers, who have been designing new features that occasionally appear to be out of character with the company's utilitarian roots.

For example, the new Prius, launching this year, has an option for a solar-powered ventilation system designed to keep the interior cool when parked. Gizmos like these helped lift the car's retail price to an estimated $28,000, according to analysts, compared with the $22,000 currently.

Frankly, that does worry me," says Earl Stewart, one of the top Prius dealers in the U.S., based in North Palm Beach, Fla., He anticipates stiff competition from Honda's new low-priced hybrid, Insight.

"I am already drastically discounting my Priuses to maintain my sales rate," Mr. Stewart says.

link title
    Wow! Not a hybryd. Nor economic or fuel efficient.

If only this car's MPG were 20 percent improved then this car would really be sexy. ;)
    Howard,

A fuel pump, Only a fuel pump. I would love to trade in my 3 series for that 1 series..

But just the few problems I did encounter were:

2 high pressure fuel pump relacements
    Defective spark plug and ignition coil
    3 different window motors replaced
    1 sunroof motor replaced
    1 ventilation motor replace
    Faulty fuel injector
    Ongoing interior plastic mouldings falling off everywhere inside my car
    A snow tired car (3.2K $ worth of snow tires) car unable to drive during moderate snow fall.

A computer crash due to malfuctioning steering, traction and brake modules---stranded in the snow for 5 hours waiting for a tow truck

There are other problems but I am too tired and frustrated to recall them all. :sick:

The 3.0TT engine--- Any over heating? NOPE! Though I did not have the priviledge of abusing my car on a Arizonan race track during a record breaking July heat wave.
    Sorry to hear all that, Dewey. Totally frustrating and discouraging. To add insult to injury, BMW service is usually not very customer-friendly.

It took BMW quite a few years to get their reputation in order for making reliable vehicles. Just when people are becoming more confident and are fearlessly buying and leasing their vehicles, this rash of new problems.

I have my 328i now for almost four months now. No problems so far.

I have read here that you are looking into the new Prius. I would wait for the Lexus equivalent, probably at dealers this summer. I am hybrid-curious, so when the Lexus finally arrives, I will be making one of my rare appearances at a Lexus showroom to drive one-my first hybrid! I don't know if I will like it, but it is the future, so I might as well "get my feet wet." :surprise:
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Dewey,

Completely agree. That's why I said if not for the ensuing economic crisis or something to that effect.

You know I looked at Microsoft today and deducted it's $35bln cash hoard from it's market cap and the company is trading at a multiple of 6.35 ($115bln net capitalization over $18bln net). Whenever I've analyzed them in the past their cash flow exceeded net income, sometimes substantially. So they are likely trading at an even lower multiple of cash flow. Did you ever in your life expect to see multiples this low. The market has to be near a bottom because if it goes much lower these cash rich companies will have enough leverage to go private at an extraordinarily cheap price.

I know it's bad times out there but the market is starting to make as much sense to me at these prices as oil did at $147 and nasdaq did at 5,100. In other words it's lost it's mind, this time in the other direction, and a lot of this is over a bad accounting rule that blocks lending, which further triggers more writedowns thereby causing greater and greater insolvency - even though the banks are cash rich! It's just amazing.
    I went to check out the new RX today, the interior is nice, but not very special, exterior is ok, but again not special. When starting the engine it definitely feels how quite and smooth it is.

Then there is the x6, which is something different, very loud when starting, harsh ride which every1 talks about because of the run flats, which surprisingly I did not feel when testing the x6 inline6, engine heating troubles seems to be a normal thing for x6.

Which is the better choice?

I would like to point out that I don't have a wife, or any kids, so I really don't care if the car seats 4 , or 5.

I like to add that I've never in my life read engines troubles for any other car as much as I read about x5 and the x6.

I'd also like to point out, after testing the x6 the sales guy told me to take the x5 rather than the x6 which won't last you long,isn't a daily using car which was a shock from a dealer.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The upcoming 2010 Audi S5 Cabriolet is absolutely stunning.

Yep, I posted on it awhile ago back when the car was first revealed. It's stunning, and just makes the IS350C look that much uglier. Audi has never been big on retractable hard tops, and I don't blame them. I don't think they could achieve the lines they wanted with a big hard top to shove in the trunk. Audi has also never been big on compromising their styling.

The new E coupe is less hideous than the sedan, but it's a close race. At least the convertible will get rid of that horrible rear quarter window. Who signed off on that? It makes it look like a sedan from the side, until you realize there's no door handle there.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I do believe that no 335i gets Brembo brakes. Score a big one for the 135i.

What brakes does the M3 use? I remember at least initially once of the biggest complaints about the M3 was that its brakes were worthless on a track, cooked after just a few laps.
    After reading your post, it appears as if you have answered your own question. The new RX is the better choice. I am probably a little biased but your choice seems like a no "brainer".
    dewey, thanks for that insight...never thought of it that way. I know it will eventually improve and history will repeat.

Regards,
    OW
    Man, you guys stay up late! :surprise:

As far as I know the 2008 M3 brakes are not Brembos. Brembo does make brakes for the M3 if one wants to replace the standard brakes. Hard to believe that the 135i gets them and the M3 does not.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I would like to point out that I don't have a wife, or any kids, so I really don't care if the car seats 4 , or 5.

Then why are you looking at SUVs? They're not as much fun to drive as coupes or sedans. (They're also uglier, but that's just my opinion.)

If you don't need an SUV's hauling capacity, why are you willing to put up with an SUV's poorer handling?

If I wanted something roomier than a BMW sedan, I'd buy the 535 Sports Wagon.
    I'm curious. What do you find so appealing about the X6?

I would choose neither the RX nor the X6.

I would wait to test drive the new 2009 V6 TDI VW Touareg 2 or perhaps go for a CPO Porsche Cayenne S. The Porsche gets around 15 mpg while the VW gets around 21.
    This really saddens me tremendously if it comes to pass. I would not call a solar powered cooling system a gizmo. That's nuts. In fact, each and every high tech feature on the new Prius is very useful. They are not gizmos. What is Toyota thinking here? I thought that one of the major characteristics of human kind is the urge for discovery and exploration. Once you stop exploring, you may as well go back to the Stone Age. Did I already tell you that I think this approach by Toyota is crazy? Nobody is forcing all these options to the buyer. One can pick and choose what they can afford. Man, I find this thinking SO stupid.

"Say it it ain't so Toyota, say it ain't so!"
    After much searching around, I have found that the M3 brakes are made by ATE.
    The consensus of people who own M3 vehicles seems to be that while the 135i has Brembos, they are not "top of the line" Brembos. One M3 guy went so far as to call Brembo, "the Bose of brakes". LOL!! Sounds like a bit of "sour grapes". ;)