Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    This site http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html has been doing a real life study on Mobil-1. 10k miles so far!

This Mobil site details the various blends available: http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/index.jsp

FWIW, I found Mobil-1 SuperSyn at Walmart in both 10w-30 and 5w-30. They even have 5 quart jugs now.

-Brian
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    This is probably a better link (post 10734)

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2004.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm running my own test using dead dino with interval changes every 7,500 miles (on the van; haven't decided on the OB yet). I'm at 81,000 miles! Anyone care to pop me $20 for an oil test?

Some truck stops offer "instant" oil testing but that's pricy too. AutoZone or Napa need to offer oil tests at a buck each so people can determine if it's time to dump their engine crude down the drain or not.

Steve, Host
  • georgeinmdgeorgeinmd Member Posts: 27
    There was a discussion on clutch shudder on the NASIOC board a few days ago ( http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3- 6 ), though I can't find the thread now. Someone had a scanned copy of the TSB, which was # 03-51-02, dated 1/15/03. I saved the scanned copy, if anyone would like to see it. Obviously, I can't vouch for its authenticity. With my '99 out of warrenty, would I have a ghost of a chance of free replacement?
    Thanx! -- George
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree with Ken, for an OE headlight, the '98 Forester has an excellent pattern. But I rode in Bob's '01 and it's not as good. The lights changed again in '03, but I have compared them back to back.

taft: I'm sure those are 03s. Some 04s are already here, and others will arrive soon. If you can find a Baja Sport for $1600 under invoice, that would be an absolute steal. They might mean non-Sport models only.

Papa bear: $25.6k with leather and auto plus the moonroof. $23,323 for a manual XT, for 235 lb-ft of torque! Remember, you have to step up to the $45-50k range to find a quicker SUV.

-juice
  • newcar4newfamnewcar4newfam Member Posts: 20
    Just curious. How come the premium Foresters have about 2 in. less cargo space?

Barkley
    It intrudes into the roof space. EPA measures it to the brim.

Useless numbers, IMO. I prefer CR's way of measuring the biggest box, or C&D's cases of beer, clearly the most useful! :-)

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Scott: Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W30 is available at a lot of other stores. I usually get mine at Target, Costco or Walmart.

Brian: Wow, that's an interesting link (and not Amsoil sponsored too!). My wife's VW specifies a 10,000 mile oil change interval. While it does have a larger crankcase, I always wondered about that. These results seem to support that oil change interval. As for my Forester, I try and change my oil between 5-7.5K miles.

juice: I think the 00+ Foresters went to a clear headlight lens (vs. fluted) for cosmetic reasons. Did they change the bulb type too?

Ken
    Dunno, anyone know if they still use H4s?

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Our Forester is in for the 45K checkup right now. I had them re-aim the headlights too. Will pick it up this afternoon, and let you know if the headlight pattern is any better.

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Wow! $23,323 invoice for a MT Forester XT, that's GREAT news! The $1,825 extra for the turbo is right in line with my $1,5-2K prediction. Can't wait to test drive one but will probably wait until late Fall when the prices have dropped closer to invoice to purchase (Okay so I'm cheap).

-Frank P.
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    According to my owner's manual the 03 Forester takes a "HB2(H4)- bulb type 60/55W"

Larry
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    A while back I posted regarding an absolutely awful plastic screeching noise I'd get going down the highway with a cross wind.

I decided to go looking for it myself this past weekend and I think I found it. It sounded like it was coming from under the cowling that fits around the wipers, so I figured I'd remove that first then road test it without it......

Well I don't think I'm going to need to - as I went to figure out how to remove it I saw that 3 of the five pins in the front that go through the sheet metal to hold it down were bent over. There's enough of an overhanging lip on the cowl plastic that its not obvious until you lift up on it.

Got the pins straightened and actually inserted through the holes and it clamped down pretty good. Had to order two of the black plastic trim pins off the dealer (no charge) as the "fins" were stripped right where you'd like the pin to clamp the most.

Must have happened when the glass company resealed the windshield.

Can't wait to road test after I get those new pins.

Refer to my previous comment about "I hate it when anyone else touches my car!!"

Larry
    Larry,

Thanks for checking. That's good news. H4s are one of the better types of bulbs out there. Lots of new cars today seem to be using the H7s which are not as good.

Ken
    Bob - I think they were aimed a bit low. Let's see if it improves.

-juice
  • taft4taft4 Member Posts: 57
    Brian: Yes, the mailing was from Liberty Auto City and as I remember the offer runs out the end of the month. And yes, that is where I got my Forester, even though there are other dealers closer to my home.
  • taft4taft4 Member Posts: 57
    This may have been posted before but I just saw the June Motor Trend and they have a very nice article on the 2003 Forester 25XS. In addition they also have an article on the turbo sedan, which I think is called a WRX. Since I never had an interest in that kind of car I can't remember its exact nomenclature.
    You could sign up for an IMBA membership, which gets you VIP pricing on a Subaru after 6 months of membership. That equals invoice pricing. But, 6 months from now, '04 Foresters (non XT) should be going for close to that anyway without the discount.

An '03 won't suffice? You should be able to get a decent price on them right now - invoice or below.

-Brian
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Maybe she reeeeeally wants the new cloth sun visors ;)

But seriously, why did they delete the cassette player from the XS for 2004? Cost-saving measure? I thought it was great to get both the cassette and 6-CD changer in the dash.
    Dropping the tape player annoyed me also since I still use it (I tape Car Talk on Saturday's and then listen to it on the commute to work).

-Frank P.
    The 2003 Forester should not be very different compared to the 2004, if you're not talking turbo.

In the 5 years I've owned my 98 Forester, I have not once used the cassette player (I do have the 6-CD changer). I'm sure that will be the growing trend in years to come with alternative storage technologies more available. I'd rather have a an MP3 player in my head unit than a cassette -- but that's just me.

Ken
  • taddisontaddison Member Posts: 99
    It would be very annoying for me if they drop the tape player without giving us an aux input. I listen to books on tape and I use a cassette adapter to plug in my MP3 jukebox. With an aux input I could still listen to audio tapes via my old Sony Walkman.

Anyone know if there is an aux input? I'm assuming this is the same head unit they put in the 2003 Legacy GT, where they also deleted the tape player and put the subwoofer in the back instead of under the passenger seat.
    Most other makes dropped tape players a while back, so Subaru followed suit. I tend to listen to CD-Rs nowadays, but I do have some tapes. Plus there are books-on-tape, and lots of kid songs are on tape too.

I say make it play MP3s if you remove the tape player, then it's not cost-cutting, just modernizing.

-juice
  • heather16heather16 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to these boards and I'm curious.

What is an IMBA membership? I'll be purchasing a new 2004 Forester and anything that can save me money catches my interest. Thanks
  • forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    the International Mountain Bike Association, which is dedicated to the preservation and maintainence of mountain biking trails. Here is their website:

http://www.imba.com/

In my opinion, it is a good organization for anyone who rides bicycles offroad to support. YMMV.
    -Bob
  • kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Heather,

IMBA = International Mountain Bicycling Association; great group and very involved locally, which is why i like supporting them. the invoice pricing for Subarus is just a great benefit. the website is http://www.imba.com

speaking of saving $$$, don't forget about SubaruBucks through Chase's credit card. we gave the dealer $1300 in coupons! more info on http://www.subaru.com

cheers
  • mutcthmutcth Member Posts: 17
    If you don't like mountain biking, there is the American Canoe Association, which offers the same deal as IMBA (we belong to both.) Too bad I can't get some super sub-invoice discount on a 2005 Legacy turbo wagon....

Tom
    Yep, what they said! ;-)

Naturally, as the '04's become available, a typical dealer will want to move the older models ('03's) off the lot. Easily invoice pricing, maybe lower if the dealer is so inclined. '04's probably will be not near invoice, but possibly under MSRP with the current economy. I expect the XT to be closer to MSRP initially as well.

Have you looked at or concidered the '03's? You could get one today instead of waiting! ;-)

-Brian
  • forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    I just noticed that there is some small print at the IMBA Subaru VIP Partners Program site that "The Impreza WRX Sti is excluded from the VIP Partners Program." I hope this doesn't happen with the '04 Forester 2.5 XT. If it does, I will be VERY disappointed. Part of me thinks it won't, because the WRX STi is a limited production model, while the Forester XT doesn't seem to fall into that category. Since I won't be making my purchase till the end of 2003, it might not make a difference anyway. I just love the idea of getting a good price without having to haggle for it. Just my two cents...
    -Bob
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Then, of course, it would make my joining ACA a bit more altruistic. I do paddle, just not as much as I did a few years ago.

Ed
    Being a limited production model, none of the standard rules/policies apply to the WRX STi. Comparing it to the Forester XT is apples and oranges. I'm extremely confident that the VIP Partners Program will include the XT.

-Frank P.
    Maybe not for the first 2 months of sales, but they will eventually for sure.

-juice
    Was there a certain feature (besides the turbo in the XT) that you were drawn too with the '04's? The '03 is the first year of the 'new' design. I don't have anything in front of me that lists out the differences between the '03 and '04 (except that we all know the XT is an '04).

At least take a drive in an '03 and see which model you like (X or XS). If you can't wait 6 months for a Forester, then the '03 would be fine.

-Brian
  • ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    Forestergump wrote:"I just noticed that there is some small print at the IMBA Subaru VIP Partners Program site that "The Impreza WRX Sti is excluded from the VIP Partners Program." I hope this doesn't happen with the '04 Forester 2.5 XT. If it does, I will be VERY disappointed. Part of me thinks it won't, because the WRX STi is a limited production model, while the Forester XT doesn't seem to fall into that category."

One of the dealers I've been working with just told me that his entire allocation of XTs (or maybe 5-speed XTs, which is what I want) is THREE CARS over the next four months...He says he won't be selling any of them at anything below MSRP <sigh>. Fortunately, the word from other dealers is somewhat more optimistic than that.
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    I thought I had posted this but... what's with the collapsible pedals I'm pretty sure I read about in the 04 Foresters? How do they work?

- Lou
    "I thought I had posted this but... what's with the collapsible pedals I'm pretty sure I read about in the 04 Foresters? How do they work?"

I'm wondering the same thing. It would be really, really inconvenient to mash the brake pedal in a panic-stop situation - and have the pedal break off!
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    I see no reason to wait for the 04s if you want an X or XS. If the "cars101" link above is to be believed (and it seems credible), the only changes for '04 X and XS are:

-- collapsible foot pedals
    -- no more cassette player in XS
    -- X upgraded to cloth sun visors instead of vinyl

An '04 might have slightly better resale value down the road, just because it's one model year newer, but not enough to make up for the premium you'd pay now.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Greetings, been lurking here for a few months and this is my first post. I've been living in Japan (Okinawa) for the last 8 years.

I was out doing PT yesterday and ran past the most awesome blue WRX. WOW! Big 'ol meaty disc brakes and all. Four door hatchback.

I altered my route and ran back by it--awesome, nice car. Now I know what all the excitement is about.

I'm out.
    Here's a good site for info on the XT (also has link at the top to pricing): 2004 Subaru Forester XT

-Frank P.
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    As I approach 350 miles on my XS Premi, and gear up - and down, for the haul up the Grapevine - for this weekend's move from SF to SDiego, I notice that my clock has been running fast and requires adjusting every few days. Are these clocks self-adjusting or is this a typical breaking in issue?

Cargo tray - good option, saving my carpet big time during this move.

No more cassette decks after '03 - I bought just in time!

Next stop, San Diego; "dos tacos pescados y una cerveza Pacifico, por favor!" We'll see how effective that air filter is as I drive by Harris Ranch. MOOOOO! PHEW! Happy weekend to all!
    Sounds like you've got a defective clock. Mine gains maybe a minute every 6 months. They are not self-adjusting and there's no break-in period. Since it's so new, I'd take it back to the dealer and push to get it replaced. Understand that they might be reluctant but hopefully they'll do it to maintain customer goodwill (that and it's realatively cheap to replace).

-Frank P.

P.S. Good luck with your move!
    I'm pretty sure the Forester XT will not be exempt from the VIP program. It's a standard vehicle. The STi is limited release.

Speaking of the VIP program, is that something that is separate from the IMBA or ACA memberships. I thought the VIP program was something SOA limited to certain individuals allowing them to purchase below invoice.

Ken
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    No more cassette deck??? Surely that can't be true. My 02 has a cassette and a six cd changer, so they both fit. Maybe its an option.

IMBA. I thought I saw some wording on their web site saying that it was up to the dealer to determine what models were available for this program. In other words, the dealer doesn't have to sell at invoice if he doesn't want to.
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    I'll try posting this again without sounding like I'm soliciting.

If anybody is having trouble finding parts for their Forester, I'd suggest checking www.AllSubaru.com. I've had really good service from them, and the people working there really know about subarus. I can't name any names, but SHE'S a really nice rally driver who happens to work there, and can give good advice because she really knows subarus. I only mention this because a lot of places only cater to WRX's or imprezas, so sometimes it can be hard to find Forester specific parts, or even know which parts are interchangable. Plus they are usually one of the cheapest subaru vendors out there.

Stay away from ISRperformance though. Nice people, horrible service.
  • rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    no problem with my clock. In fact I'm amazed how dead on it is. Better than my pc clock. Bob L.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I just saw on the Subaru web site that they are offering 0% financing, but they did not say for how long. Guess they want you to negotiate with the dealer. Anyone here get a Forester recently with 0% for 60 months?
  • jimbob17jimbob17 Member Posts: 77
    Rapi
    I was in Okinawa in the early 70s at Camp Courtney. Its a beautiful island and the people were great. Odd about the WRX. The troops used to buy the big Honda MCs, when I was there, and we used to joke that they didnt get through the whole gear array before they got to the end of the island.
    Cassette: I miss the cassette player in my 2003 X. I like to listen to the books that are cheaper on tape. I priced a cassette player at the dealer and they wanted about $500. A local place offered to put in a tape player that broadcasts to a radio frequency and you tune the radio to that. Its only about $150. so i'll go look at it in the near future.
  • kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    hi all,

thanks ducktapeguy for the tips. good to know.
    I'll second your opinion on isrPerformance.com.stinks i am still trying to sort the springs issue (for those who remember). i am corresponding with a few ppl in Australia directly...
  • 10years10years Member Posts: 48
    Hello everybody, long time lurker first time contributor here. Thank you for all the useful information and honesty over the last several months.
    On 5/21 I bought my first ever Subaru, a Forester X. For a near old fool like me I sure got complements from fellow co-workers and friends today on the good looking Cayenne Red cuttie. You could see the "I wonder if I" looks on some faces.
    They had 2.9% for five years from Subaru. Price was close to $600 under Invoice. &#147;Will sign papers for Car&#148; with &#147;Don&#146;t need no stinking money&#148; works well by E-Mailing several dealerships and their respective internet manager guys. Then wait for the bids to come in. Check SUBARU.COM for the links in your area.
    Jimbob wrote:" A local place offered to put in a tape player that broadcasts to a radio frequency and you tune the radio to that. Its only about $150. so i'll go look at it in the near future."

You don't have to spend that much. Any Radio Shack can sell you a small, low-power FM transmitter for exactly that purpose. Plug any ordinary cassette player into the transmitter, tune your car radio to a matching frequency, and listen to your cassettes over the car sound system. Better yet, you can use the same FM transmitter with portable MP3 players (CD or solid state) and listen to MP3-encoded music over your car system.
This discussion has been closed.