Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Thanks for the great pictures lexusguy. I have looked at some other exterior shots of the new A8L, and from certain angles it has a very aggressive and sleek look compared to its rivals. Generally, the pictures do not give us an idea of the size of the car as it is quite large. With that in mind, I have a strong feeling as is the case with other Audis, that in person this car will be quite impressive especially when compared to the piggy snout 7-Series and the overwrought S-Class with Freightliner fenders. The detailing of the car is simply master class. I venture to say artistic in execution. In person this car will be impressive. Now, how does it drive with Audi's sport differential and torque vectoring systems? I cannot wait for the comparisons.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    What a farce this new MB S Class is?

I cant believe the description below and I can believe who would buy such a useless car.
    The MB S550 never looked so environmentally friendly when compared to the hybrid.

The $87,950 Mercedes-Benz S400 hybrid sedan, for example, is rated at 21 mpg in combined city and highway driving, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The 295-horsepower car uses a six-cylinder engine and a "mild hybrid" system to average three miles per gallon better, on the government's tests, than the eight-cylinder, 382-horsepower Mercedes S550 sedan.

link title
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    As someone who grew up reading in the 60's reading Speed Age, Hot Rod, and then had his girl friend send him C & D and R & T while in Vietnam, I have recently been disappointed by the "mass market" buff magazines. They have become too bland for me, almost Motor Trend-ish (although MT has gotten a lot better in the last 10 years.)

As a result I've been randomly sampling the English magazines such as Cars, Top Gear, 911, and so forth and reduced my subscriptions to US car buff periodicals to just Autoweek (and also Roundel but please don't tell Dewey) . While I love to read the insider's Automotive News, I can't justify the time or the expense of this weekly newspaper.

Just recently, I've become an avid reader of Octane. It seems to be aimed at the older enthusiast with a range of interests. I recommend Octane and think that most people on this board would like reading it.
    The much heralded hybrid Suburban/Escalade achieves about one, repeat one, additonal MPG by reducing the weight by 400 pounds, adding a front spoiler, lowering the car an inch and removing the cross braces on the roof rack.

It seems to me that GM could have saved everyone a lot of time and money if they just did those same small, incremental mods to a standard Suburban and let everyone get the better mileage without the hassles of a hybrid system.
    Hybrid Suburban/Escalade
    Hybrid Malibu
    Hybrid Accord
    Hybrid MB S Class and BMWs
    Hybrid Insight/Civics

All the above are flops and they have one thing in common and that is their mild hybrid systems.

Hybrid Lexus RX
    Hybrid Escape
    Hybrid Fusion
    Toyota Prius
    Hybird Altima
    Hybrid Camry

All these vehicles are successes or mild successes at least because all of them are HSD hybrids

Any automaker who is serious about hybrids is not going to be taken seriously if all they have to offer are mild hybrids.

If I wanted an MB S Class or a GM Suburban then I want a real one and not a neutered mild hybrid version.
    I must agree the British publications like Car and Top Gear are among the best auto publications in the English speaking language.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I'm not impressed w/ the exterior, either. The rear is too derivative of the A5 and the front is reminiscent of the Infiniti Q45 if you really stare at it.

Derrick
    Also a poseur since a 550i Sport was the only thing that fit my wants of a 4-door luxury sedan w/ a V8 and manual transmission and not too large in the exterior dimensions. (The Pontiac G8 GXP wasn't on the market yet, not to mention it's too big for my tastes.)
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Wow... this is my first time looking at the detailed interior pics with lights and everything. I'm more warmed up now with the interior, it's still evolutionary, but the details outshine anything else in class. I actually like the shifter area, looks futuristic but still classy, like B&O. Nice lighting, but I just noticed... the interior looks kinda small doesn't it?

The regular headlights flow better with the rest of the lines, OTOH the rear is still somewhat droopy IMO.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    More evidence of hybrids in the lux segment...

Audi has announced there will be a hybrid version of the all-new A8... and it won't be long before it's available... expect a 2011 model.

TM
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    All the above are flops and they have one thing in common and that is their mild hybrid systems.

Not exactly. The GM hybrid trucks and the BMW X6 hybrid use a very expensive two-mode system that was developed by several companies. The system itself definitely seems to be a flop as BMW and Mercedes are abandoning it after releasing one or two products using the system, but they are not mild hybrids. I'm also not sure I'd call the Civic hybrid a flop. It doesn't sell in Prius numbers, but I think it does ok.

Not every full hybrid system necessarily works either. The GS450h for example is pretty much a dud.
  • mel57mel57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a picture of a lady I am writing a book about. She came here from Germany in the late 1940's. I have picture of her in Nurnburg Germany. The car in the pictures appears to have the Jaguar hood emblem but after months of searching and emailing the picture out I still cannot identify it. I had one guy from Germany suggest it was a prototype. Interesting the jeep/tractor in the background looks like a John Deere jeep. Very strange looking thing. The officer in the picture is wearing a British uniform and the location is in front of the Grand Hotel. Any help I can get in finding out more about the time line of the photo would be greatly appreciated.">
    I'm also not sure I'd call the Civic hybrid a flop. It doesn't sell in Prius numbers, but I think it does ok.

Yes, LG, the Honda Civic Hybrid is definitely not a flop and has been a successful vehicle. And, Honda's IMA system has performed well in this model.

Honda is going to expand their line-up of IMA Hybrids, so while Dewey is technically correct that the full hybrid is generally more efficient, Honda's IMA system is one that performs fairly well and will likely be an expanding success story for Honda for a considerable time.

TM
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Greetings, All: Today begins the New England International Auto Show (to which I have actually won four free tix!). Now, if you'll step into the Wayback Machine, we can relive those fabulous days of NEIAS 2008...

Come with me to a simpler time, a time when a young (well, middle age... Ok, old!) man's fancy turns to the conglomeration of models of all shapes and sizes at the Auto Show. Not to mention the cars. Where a (and I will now substitute for the more truthful word "old" with the more smile-inducing "young") young man, armed only with a plastic bag full of canned goods to donate to an apparently mythical food drive and a wallet with just enough cash to gain entrance ($5 for a hot dog! Yah, sure!) rode the T to South Station and walked the cold mile to the Convention Center, not knowing what joys and wonders awaited him inside.

And, eventually, where this well-intentioned yet misguided fellow, arm feeling the pain from the weight of the canned goods (had I only brought a can opener: cheap lunch is served!), would happen upon the Infiniti display. Where he met...say it with me now, fellows...on three...one...two...three: DRE!

Dre, a willowy strawberry blond young lass representing Infiniti in a most delightful way! A lovely conversation ensued rervealing a somewhat frustrated young actress/spokesperson, yet she remained hopeful of better things to come. Of course, a heart was broken once the conversation ended (and it sure wasn't her's!). Que lastima...

And then this "young" man reported his big day at The Show to the Luxury Loungers, where one extremely enterprising young lad cyber-sluethed his way to the lovely Dre's website and revealed it here! Much jocularity ensued. Ah, good times.

The Wayback Machine now returns to 2009 and INFINITI SHAN'T BE AT THE NEIAS (amongst other Marques that shall skip Boston in December)!!! Killing the anticipation of a second chance at spirited conversation with Dre, an update of the year that was. No chance to rekindle the spark that was so obvious to everyone involved (except, of course, Dre :sick: ). Curse you, Wall Street and what you've done to the economy and our beloved Auto Show! This time, it's personal...

Oh, well. I'm not sure that I have the time to visit the show, anyway. Sunday is the last day, I think that is the only day that I could attend. I'd like to take my son, we'll see... She'd probably fall for his 11 year old charms, anyway...

Maybe Dre has swithced brands??? ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    :D

May be. Or moved into a new form. Good luck and welcome back!

Regards,
    Jose
    LD,
    So good to hear from you.
    I'll be taking my son to the LA Auto Show this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for Dre. Surely she must be here where the weather is so much nicer. ;)

TM
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Great to hear from you LD! I hope things are getting better for you. Our New England Patriots sure laid an egg the other night. I still have a lot of faith, however, that they will right the ship and go all the way.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    LD welcome back...

Last I heard DRE will be representing AUDI...

That I believe is a good combination...
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    My 16 YO daughter happened to look at your Prius post and asked "What kind of a car is THAT!! It's SO UGLY!"

I told her it was a future Toyota Prius but she showed no desire at all!! Kids!! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    Thanks! I can think of no other car a the moment that presents better than this at the top end of the class.

Superb! I'll bet it's even more stunning, in a reserved way, when experienced live. ;)

Regards,
    OW
    TM, please take a top of the line camera and post your pix. Based on your list of appointments, I'll be eager to see your posts when you get back!

Regards,
    OW
    Ditto. That's exactly what I was trying to say! This would be my choice over the competition. Seems to be heading that way over the entire Audi range of late.

Regards,
    OW
    Tag, any RWD car should have a better interior than an AWD car because the driver is going to spend a lot of time in it on snowy nights in January and February!
    Yes good point. All those cars listed as non-flops are based mainly on Toyota HSD two mode system. The two mode system made by BMW , MB and GM is crap.

Toyota right now has a vast wide moat in terms of hybrid superiority. Nissan's Leaf looks like a car that may disrupt the hybrid market since an EV ideally would be superior to any hybrid car in terms of fuel efficiency and green bragging rights.
    I think I agree with your daughter! That so-called future Prius IS ugly. Let's hope that Toyota has better designs on the drawing board than THAT!

Dewey was right when he pointed out that the pic has been circulating around for quite a while already, and no one really knows what it is supposed to be.

TM
    I meet many types like Dre when I park my Prius out in front of WholeFoods.
    As soon as those female Wholefood shoppers stare at me with my Prius they look at me with the same hungry eyes as when they look at an organic quinoi salad. With such women I exercise far better better restraint than Tiger Woods since I dont want to be chased by my wife with her golf clubs.
    Nissan's Leaf looks like a car that may disrupt the hybrid market since an EV ideally would be superior to any hybrid car in terms of fuel efficiency and green bragging rights.

The shortcoming of the Leaf might be its driving range. Like so many of the EV vehicles, it might be good for a commute, but no way anyone can take a trip with it. That's why a plug-in hybrid is preferrable IMO... it delivers the best of both worlds. I particularly like the idea behind the VW L1... using a small diesel engine to supplement the batteries, and offer driving range when needed.

TM
    The G8 GXP too big?
    Yes too big for a European marque but as an American muscle car being BIG is usually a part of a multi-decade tradition. There are very few small American muscle cars out there.
    So, the Prius is a real chic magnet, eh? :surprise:

TM
    A chic magnet?

Based on my experience only among organic quinoi salad eaters.
    OW,
    I'm going to the show with my son and a group of guys from church. Not so sure I'll be taking many pictures this time. We'll see. But, I'll certainly let you know my impressions of the cool cars I get to see.
    TM
    organic quinoi salad eaters

Haha... Are they good looking? At least, they are probably very healthy! ;)

TM
    Are they good looking? At least, they are probably very healthy!

Vivaciously good looking indeed. And in order to avoid my wife's golf clubs I dont know anything else about them. :cry:
    Self-control prevents me from finding out.

Impressive... and ironic... afterall, it was your lack of self-control that contributed to your speeding tickets and ultimate purchase of a Prius. Now that you have the Prius, you have self control.

Thank goodness, or you would no longer live in a wonderful home with a cucumber garden... instead you'd be in a pickle, likely made from the ex-wife's cucumbers.

TM
    Hey, LD, nice to hear form you. I checked Dre's website for some clues but it hasn't been updated. It does, however, list the brands she is a spokesmodel for and Honda and her print clients include Nissan.

Hope you visit the show for your excellent feedback!

Regards,
    OW
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Some of you are visiting Car Shows this weekend. In my case is it time for my annual week-end in Paris (France, where else if not?) followed by a week on the Pyrenees trying to get some snow on and under me. I'll try then to have an eye opened for cars or car-related things, but I cannot promise much about.

As regards as the new A8, I've posted I am not impressed with the exterior. The interior looks well craft, with this soft starry-sky gloom which is typical of Audi—very pleasant indeed. But I find this A8 interior also to be exaggerated, too much wooden and "crowded" for may tastes. The shift is just like an alien gun, by the way.

Regards,
    Jose
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    The Pats, while they disappointed me, did not surprise me. I had a feeling that the game wouldn't be as close as most thought. They're a good team at this point, but not a great team. Brady isn't quite the Brady of past, but maybe he's still a work in progress? Or, more credit to the pressure applied by the opponent's defense. Hopefully, these games are just tune-ups (a la the $%!!#$%!! Giants of a couple of years ago!) for the playoff run.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'm not sure that things are better for me. Aspects of the situation appear to be changing for the better, which is good and makes me happier, but I'm not sure that it will ultimately go in the direction that I so hope for. The last seven months have both flown by and dragged on for an eternity.

2009 has been a challenging year for many, I sincerely hope that 2010 will be the best year of our lives! Of course, to be followed by even better years...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

No self control whatsoever. You remember how I scorned and howled at BMW after they sold me the biggest lemon possile in the form of a BMW 335i.

Well guess what. I am already curious about the new BMW 5 series.

Fortunately what will stop me from buying a 2011 BMW series are those ridiculous run flat tires. I never want to confront warranty issues if I ever decide to replace my run flat tires with regular tires. Especially after all those dealership visits with my BMW 335i.

What makes me so crazed about BMW is their independence. Daimler aggressively tried to buy out BMW in the 1950s. BMW's Quandt family fierecely resisted and since that day BMW has become the only independent luxury auto company in the industry. (MB is dependent on Daimler).

It's this fierce independent spirit that makes me admire BMW despite the trials and tribulations I had with my BMW 335i.

A BMW 520d is the BMW that I woudl buy with run flats. No other one.
    what will stop me from buying a 2011 BMW series are those ridiculous run flat tires.

Dewey,

Tell me why you hate the run flats as much as you do.

TM
    Yes, here I go again with even more evidence of hybrids in the lux segment. I don't know how much evidence you guys will need before you start posting that you agree with me, but here I go with some more...

Rolls-Royce is working on a hybrid version of the Ghost that will share its technology with the BMW ActiveHybrid 7. Sources say that engineering the hybrid version of the Ghost will be fairly straightforward since the F01 7-Series and the Ghost share the same platform. Other fuel-saving features will include a start-stop technology system. A 20kW/155 lb-ft electric-motor will sit between the 8-speed ZF automatic transmission; however, no electric-only driving mode will be available.

Overall, fuel-economy should be improved by 15 percent.

Not a massive increase in fuel efficiency, IMO, but it is indeed yet another clear step towards hybrid technology in the luxury segment... and I think we can all agree that a Rolls-Royce Ghost certainly qualifies as a luxury vehicle.

TM
    Whaddya know... The evidence just keeps piling up...

Press Release:

BMW ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR THE 2011 BMW ACTIVEHYBRID 7

The most powerful hybrid luxury sedans will be priced from $103,125

Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, December 2, 2009… BMW announced pricing today for the 2011 ActiveHybrid 7models during their North American debut at the Los Angeles International Auto Show. BMW’s first hybrid performance/luxury sedans will arrive in showrooms in Spring 2011 with a base MSRP of $103,125 including destination and handling for the ActiveHybrid 7 and $107,025 for the long wheelbase ActiveHybrid 7L.

The BMW ActiveHybrid 7 Sedans feature BMW’s 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 mated to an

8-speed automatic transmission and hybrid electric motor. The auto stop-start feature improves efficiency without interrupted climate control and other features. Additional standard equipment includes 19-inch wheels and tires, Alcantara headliner, leather dashboard and ventilated active front seats. The Premium Sound System, Head-up Display and Rear View Camera are also standard on the ActiveHybrid 7 as are Comfort Access, Soft-close doors and Automatic trunkgate closing.

Options and packages include a Camera Package, Driver Assistance Package, BMW Night Vision and Rear Seat Entertainment Package. A Luxury Rear Seating Package is available on the ActiveHybrid 7L. A full list of options to tailor the BMW ActiveHybrid 7 to individual tastes is listed below.

2011 BMW ActiveHybrid 7 packages and optional equipment:
    * Camera Package $350
    o Side view cameras
    * Cold Weather Package $800
    o Heated steering wheel & rear seats
    * Driver Assistance Package $1,350
    o Automatic high beams, lane departure warning,
    active blind spot detection
    * Rear Seat Entertainment Package $2,200
    o Multimedia player and two 8-inch screens
    * Luxury Rear Seating Package (750Li only) $3,700
    o Rear ventilated, massaging Comfort Seats
    * BMW Night Vision $2,600
    * 20-inch wheels $1,300
    * Power Rear Sunshades $1,000
    * Ceramic controls $650
    * 6-disc DVD-changer $600
    * iPod/USB-Adapter $400
    * Satellite radio $350
    * Smartphone integration $150

:shades:

TM
    You currently have enough evidence to win over the US court marshall.

Hybrid is coming, I agree. The thing is there are many areas outside Europe that just cant warm up to diesels yet, so in themeantime hybrid seems like the only way. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be popular though. Remember the possibility that companies pull this move to tackle the ever so strict CAFE law. Of course, it's like killing 2 bird with one stone. :shades:
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    Give me an A8L hybrid and I'll jump. Maybe.

The wife has the '10 Q5 and said she's even interested in the A3 diesal and would love to see a Q5 hybrid.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Yes, here I go again with even more evidence of hybrids in the lux segment. I don't know how much evidence you guys will need before you start posting that you agree with me, but here I go with some more...

Tag, you don't have to convince me (Mr. Hybrid :) ) on this topic. I am very excited about the future of luxury hybrids. We already enjoy the RX450h but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
    What is there to like about run flat tires?

I dont know your situation but here in Canada they are $800 each with taxes (CDN$ almost = US$). Equivalent non-run flats are a fraction of that price.

I needed 8 new tires after 32 months of driving--both snows and summer tires. Which means $6400 just for rubber tires within two years and a half.

With a regular tire I can use a spare tire if I have a flat tire. If I am lazy which most times I am I can just call AAA( CAA in Canada) to get towed to a place where I can get a new tire.
    The true innovation in hybrids/electrical vehicles is in economy/mainstream cars. Any hybrid BMW driver will look like a dumb patsy compared to a BMW 520d driver.

I can just hear a hybrd S Class owner saying the following:

" Wow oh wow my 295 HP hybrid MBS400 can get 3MPG better than a 382 HP MB S550 ? Imagine that? Now my conscience feels sooo good."

You know the old cliche: A fool and his wallet is easily parted. And that cliche fits perfectly for anybody who buys a RR Ghost or BMW 7 series for environmental reasons.
    Forget the whole idea of flaunting myself and making a statement with a RR. I would have the hybrid marque removed from my RR because it just reeks with hypocrisy in terms of buying a heavy tank while simultaneouslly being self-conscious about the environment.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    It's this fierce independent spirit that makes me admire BMW despite the trials and tribulations I had with my BMW 335i.

The one BMW I really like is the 335i coupe. Other than that, I think BMW has lost their way a bit lately. The run flats, the dumb shifter, the dumb turn signals, etc. The last M5 was an epically good machine. The current one is essentially a computer with wheels on it that's terrible to drive everywhere but a race track.

BMW seems to be giving less and less attention to what goes into actually driving the car - steering response, throttle and braking, and giving more and more attention to stuffing their cars full of as much technology as possible, whether it works or not.

While I've never liked the Cayenne, the argument can be made that (at the time) Porsche needed to do it in order to have the money to develop their sports cars. Why is there an X6 M though?
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    The one BMW I really like is the 335i coupe. Other than that, I think BMW has lost their way a bit lately.

BMW fan that I am, I hate to admit this, but you're right. If I had to replace my car today, I'd probably beat the bushes for a low-mileage E39 with a stick. (Chances are pretty good that I'd be looking for a long time.)

As far as I'm concerned, BMW currently makes nothing that's craveworthy.
    Uh, I agree. The only convenience is not having to replace your tire right after puncture so one can drive to "safety" (in my book it's called "nearest mechanic") to have the tire replaced.

I dont like the price, the stiff sidewalls, and the fact that BMW no longer give us a spare tire in the trunk.
    I can tell you the RFT worked for me. My '06 330xi made it 100 miles with zero pressure. The next day, I got a Goodyear dealer to plug it for a temp fix, which I only used for a week while I waited for a new tire that was on order at the time for a complete fix.

Regards,
    OW
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    As far as I'm concerned, BMW currently makes nothing that's craveworthy.

Mostly I'd agree, but I'd rephrase your statement to say that BMW currently markets nothing in North America that's craveworthy. They sell manual transmission-equipped 2, 2.5 & 3 litre diesels, with real tires, in the rest of the world that I'd buy one of tomorrow, if I could.

They're not, and they never will be, mostly thanks to CARB, U.S. lawsuits (RFTs) and the EPA (it costs a fortune to get each version of a car approved). Those RFTs may make sense "back East" where towns are close together, but getting a flat in Nevada at 3 in the morning on the weekend with RFT tires is a whole 'nother world -- one that Germany knows nothing of.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester