Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,626
    Well, looking at the 'Ring times for the R8 and the M6 (E63) are 8:04 and 8:09, respectively with the M5 (E60) coming in at 8:13. Not too shabby!

Regards,
    OW
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Posts: 130
    edited March 2010
    Well, looking at the 'Ring times for the R8 and the M6 (E63) are 8:04 and 8:09, respectively with the M5 (E60) coming in at 8:13. Not too shabby!

Absolutely, not bad at all. And yet we really are not comparing apples to apples here as the R8 is new technology whereas both the E60 M5 & E63 M6 are 2005 technology. BMW has always had competition crop up during one of its model years yet when the new mode comes out, it is right back as the leader of the pack. That is why I said wait until you see the new M6. Audi will be scrambling again.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    Styling wise, the R8 is at one end of the spectrum, while the 6 is holding firm to the other end ;)
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419

Give the R8 a similar engine and similar levels of power (say, in the R8 V10), and all of a sudden the M6 isn't nearly so close. The M6 is much closer to the XKR than it is to the R8 or the 911. It's a big touring coupe, not a sports car.
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    edited March 2010
    If the X6M is the best that BMW can make for autocrossing, then they owe an apology to those folks who have purchased Z4's or 135's. I compete in autocrossing and I have never seen an X6M out there, many 3's and Z's are out there. No BMW is really the car of choice for autocrossing but they do perform well when properly modified.

Look I have owned many BMW's and currently still own one but I do agree with the overriding opinion that they have changed (lost?) their way. They are now a large company that is succesfully using their great brand to go mainstream and compete in every segment. I wish they would get back to some of their core values that made this brand special. Fun, light cars that handled well, had great engines and simple but nice designs and interiors. They are trying to all things and are missing the boat on being great at a few things.
    I wish they would get back to some of their core values that made this brand special. Fun, light cars that handled well, had great engines and simple but nice designs and interiors. They are trying to all things and are missing the boat on being great at a few things.

Unfortunately where they are going is full steam ahead on FWD, in an effort to chase more and more volume and to compete with Wolfsburg. BMW likes to brag about being independent. The problem with that is its getting harder and harder for relatively small independent automakers to survive.
    edited March 2010
    I compete in autocrossing and I have never seen an X6M out there, many 3's and Z's are out there. No BMW is really the car of choice for autocrossing but they do perform well when properly modified.

I have not seen an M6 on the track either, probably because most people that buy an 80K + vehicle don't want to run it on the track. I am just telling you what the M School Instructors say about the car. The suspension and DTC is unique to that model and as a result handles amazingly. Whether or not you have seen them on the track or not doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Regarding AX... our chapter does a little as well. And on a fairly grand scale at that. We have everything from Corvettes, Lotus, Porsche, Lexus F Series to BMWs competing. You may want to go to our website and check the times before you jump out there and say no BMW is a car of choice for AX.

http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,926
    The M6 is not even close to being a two door 5 Series as it is. The M6 has a V10, 500 hp motor, with transmission options not available in the 5 Series, not to mention it is a different model in the line-up with a completely different design from the 5 Series. It doesn't resemble the 5 Series in any way. Are we on the same page here at all?

I think he's referring to the fact that the 6-series and 5-series share a platform. Maybe he should've said "two door M5."
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    probably because most people that buy an 80K + vehicle don't want to run it on the track.

This does not sound right, when you have 100K + Porsches, 80K + Corvettes, GT-Rs on track. There must be other reasons...
    This does not sound right, when you have 100K + Porsches, 80K + Corvettes, GT-Rs on track. There must be other reasons...

Well that is the way it is here. We have a a few people bring out new cars but that has not been the rule. I guess it would have a lot to do with how the AX is setup, how big it is and etc.
  • zorro71zorro71 Posts: 3
    All,
    I plan on purchasing a car within the next month or two. I was hoping to get everyone's thoughts on the below cars.

Here are the cars I am considering:
    2010 MB E550 coupe

2010 Audi S5

2010 Infiniti G conv or coupe

I am intrigued by the BMW 335i coupe and upcoming 335is coupe, but not seriously considering either since I read that BMW will be introducing an entirely new 3-series model in a couple of years.

Which car do you recommend to buy, and why?
    Thanks!
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    Fair point Buzzard, I may not have used the correct words when I stated that no BMW is the car of choice for AX. I have seen some E36 3 series that have posted great times, usually better than the E46 cars. My response was that many open AX competitions are dominated by Caymans, Miata's and other light quick cars. Like you I am a BMWCCA member, as well as a PCA member so I have competed in alot of different formats.

My beef with BMW of late has to do with their attempt at growing volume in all segments leaving behind what made them great. I know that their growth over the past 10 years has been huge, they have grown market share and are a true lux competitor. I guess that my opinion is that I would rather see them continue to seperate themselves from the pack in the area that they really created - high end cars with great driving dynamics. Leave the heavy, expensive SUV's to others.
    edited March 2010
    Here are the cars I am considering:
    2010 MB E550 coupe

2010 Audi S5

2010 Infiniti G conv or coupe

I'm not a fan of the E class coupe. The styling is awkward (though less so than the sedan) and the driving experience is too doughy and bland compared to an S5. I also wouldn't recommend the G convertible. The G coupe is a good car, but the convertible conversion didn't go very well.

In a recent Car and Driver test, it managed to beat the terrible IS350C, but lost out to the A5 2.0T and 328i cabrios.

My recommendation would be the S5 in either coupe or cabrio form, with the 335i or 335is coupe or cabrio in second place. The 3 series may be getting old, but its still better than the rest.
  • skarieskarie Posts: 78
    Four-Door Firepower - Comparison Test

So it’s come to this. In a world of $3 a gallon gas, ever-tightening emissions regulations and an ozone layer starting to look like that map of AT&T’s 3G coverage, the entry-level horsepower number for a top-line sports sedan now stands at a staggering 300. It’s incredible, really, how performance seems to thrive even when squeezed by the regulatory Vise-Grips of the EPA, DOT and NHTSA. And we, fans of performance driving and connoisseurs of the perfectly cambered offramp, are the happy beneficiaries.

In our test group, we’ve got incredible diversity in 6-cylinder engines that range in displacement from 3.0 to 3.7 liters, and from 300 to 333 bhp. Supercharger? Check. Twin turbos? Roger that. Variable timing and lift, and a smattering of direct injection too?
    link title
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    great article, AUDI IS ON FIRE!!! I'll tell you one thing, BMW is going to need to hit a grand slam with the new 3-series when it comes out if it is going to be back on top again!
    The S4 has outmatched the 335i in every comparison test I've seen. As I said before, the entire reason behind the 335is is because BMW knew they had been bested. For those that place the true RWD experience above all there is still a reason to choose the 3 over the S4. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 335xi, however. The S4 takes the AWD 3 to the cleaners.
    I was just curious to find out what engine of the entry level luxury segment and mid-level luxury segment do you feel are the most refined/quiet at idle?

In the entry level luxury market lets compare the Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Lexus ES350, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Mercedes C-Class.

Lets all see who you think is the quietest at idle in the mid-level segment so that would be, Acura RL, Infiniti M, Lexus GS, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6, and Mercedes E-Class! (Let's Compare the V6 Engines for these vehicles to keep it on the same field).

Can't wait to here your ideas and opinions! Happy Comparisons!!! :shades:
  • PavarottiPavarotti Posts: 13
    forget about 'entry level' luxury, I would buy a 3 y.o. *top-of-the-line* luxury car for the SAME price -- either a 2007 Benz S550 or 2007-8 Jaguar XJR
    BMW's are too ugly, Lexus too boring. Acuras & Infinity too unrefined.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for not answering any of my questions! My posting wasn't intended for what cars do you think suck thread and what not in the comparison is better! :mad: I asked specific questions on one specific characteristic of the vehicles.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    The Lexus wins my vote in both segments. You can hardly hear it running.