Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    That's just silly. Who looks at an E63 and says "not fast enough". Mercedes is just upset that they have a model without the most insane level of horsepower in its class (RS6 is more powerful) so they have to fire back knowing Audi and BMW aren't dumb enough to stuff their own V-12s into the A6 and 5 series.

I agree. It just doesnt make any sense, why put a V12 in the E class when its already remoured that Mercedez is gonna drop there V12 engines for turbocharged V8. Maybe there trying to catch the panamera.
    I predict that the 6 will remain a big 2+2 GT coupe, possibly as a single retractable hardtop model ala Z4

Looks like your right again.
    NEW BMW 6'

link title
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Looks like your right again.
    NEW BMW 6'

Yep, another 5 series derived GT coupe, just like last time. No mid-engined R8 fighter to see here. It looks like the droopy catfish face is gone, replaced by what appears to be a very slightly more aggressive 5 series nose. Unfortunately it seems like some of the Bangle bustle is still there at the rear.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Hi Tony, Hi All,

Promised that I would report on the new-5-Series premiere at my usual BMW dealer, but I couldn't cope with the promise because I eventually I was not even in Spain that day. My intention is to pay a visit to the dealer in the next future, but I still don't find a good moment to do so. (Not only because of job.:shades: Today I'm going to my other place in France and I'll be there trekking or skiing for a few days.)

Happy Easter Holiday to whichever enjoying one!

Regards,
    Jose
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    edited March 2010
    I see your point clembo, and you certainly are not the only one with those feelings. BMW has grown to include other market segments leaving a lot of people not only puzzled but disappointed. But have they really left behind their legacy? The 1 Series seems to be the fit here doesn't it? And they keep suggesting new models within the Series. I think to maintain market share and remain competitive BMW has to test the market to see what will fly. With Porsche and Audi both having success with their SUVs, maybe they felt missing that market share, particulary here in the US which is their biggest market, wouldn't keep them where they want to be. Who really knows what the thinking was... but isn't it true when you do a brand to brand comparison, model for model BMW does what they do very well? Right now Audi has become a real competitor with a few of their models, yet when BMW comes out with their next generation the bar will be raised yet again. That is always the case. BMW is always the target when the competition produce their new models.

Rather than concerning myself so much with the current models, I get frustrated when I read about a front wheel drive BMW!!! Personally I feel that ought to be left to the Mini. But hey, maybe that is why I am not a marketing manager for BMW. :)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    edited March 2010
    They should make this the 6'er and get it over with.

Start competing, for Heaven Sakes!!

Regards,
    OW
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    ... that the new E-class is less attractive than the previous one? I've felt that the current C-class and previous E-class are among the most attractive sedans out there.

Of course I'm not likely to be owning either one of them. :cry:
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I was at my local Mercedes dealer last weekend looking at the new C and E-classes and I couldn't help but notice these vehicles seem really low to the ground. Has anyone else noticed that about these Mercedes vehicles?
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I've felt that the current C-class and previous E-class are among the most attractive sedans out there.

I don't have the same aversion to the C and E that some here do. For a small sedan, the C looks fine, IMO, and the new E has turned my head a couple of times on the road already.

TM
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    edited April 2010
    I was at my local Mercedes dealer last weekend looking at the new C and E-classes and I couldn't help but notice these vehicles seem really low to the ground. Has anyone else noticed that about these Mercedes vehicles?

Yes, I did. It seems to me like every other sedan is getting more n more closer to the ground, be it the new C,E even the S is not far off.

The whole lexus line up is low to the ground. LS460, the GS, IS. ES not sure, even the upcoming LT200h.

Does any1 think current 5 series is low to the ground?, maybe its all for better driving :blush: :sick:

Maybe its a trick? People want better ground clearance, buy our suv :P
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I hope all is well with everyone here. For us New Englander's, hopefully everyone's home is high and dry. Luckily, mine is. A couple of neighbors haven't been as fortunate.

It's been a while, although I've been lurking. It's been a long, yet extremely short, year since my life kinda got turned upside down, but I think things are looking up. Still a long way to go, but potential for a "new beginning" in a couple of weeks. Tom Petty nailed it, the waiting is the hardest part.

It appears that we're going straight to Summer here as, after the deluge, temps in the 70s now! I took advantage yesterday and Zaino'd the blue TL. Looking good for a five + year old car (well, from a distance at least!). I know of the divergent opinions of the prior gen TL, but to me it remains a darn handsome car. The new TL? Still a big dislike of the beak/
    Shield of Acura.

Turned a milestone birthday three weeks ago, pangs of mid-life crisis car are resurfacing. But, all-life rationality still squelches the pangs. The boy and I did cruise the Ferrari/Maserati lot on Friday. Amongst the artwork, two R8s (one a 10), both sold. Big sale on Maser's, though. He's going to be very successful and have all the cars he wants, hopefully he'll buy one for dear old Dad...

Speaking of the boy and cars, this year was his final Pinewood Derby. It was not without slight controversy as the car "we" built was surprisingly fast! It won almost every heat it ran, but somehow in the finals there was a three way tie. So, in a three heat runoff, we came in third for the second year in a row. The timing mechanism broke, so the judging was done by eye. Judges admitted they may have goofed and we should have been second place. Also, I think the boy made a tactical mistake in one or two of the tie-breaker heats as he put the front of the car on top of the starting pin instead of having the car rest against it. The starter didn't see it, nor did I until it was too late. Car had to drop down to the track and go, I think the drop may have moved one of the front wheels. Oh, well. Not a big deal, he was happy enough. Hard to get him interested in a little wooden car when he XBoxes so many hours/day....

Also, my kids rec swim team went undefeated, including beating the rival powerhouse team in the regular season and the Championships. I was poolside timing the Championships (along with other dedicated parents) for about seven hours, then took my daughter and two of her friends to dinner. I got a good review from daughter as she noted I didn't embarrass
    her and basically kept quiet!

Ok, on we go...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Dada - nice to hear from you. I almost sent you a message inviting you over for a Zaino day in my driveway, I had a couple of cars to do and a nieghbor was doing his.

I have been stopping by the same dealer on Rt 1 that you and your son visited, there is a car there that keeps me thinking...I hope someone buys it soon or I might.

I hope things go well when you re-start in a few weeks, hopefully we'll here more from you.
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    I predict that the 6 will remain a big 2+2 GT coupe, possibly as a single retractable hardtop model ala Z4

From what I am hearing the next generation M6 is going to remain a 2 + 2 yet longer & wider. A little more rear leg room making the back seat a "back seat". And available as a coupe or soft-top convertible.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Still a long way to go, but potential for a "new beginning" in a couple of weeks. Tom Petty nailed it, the waiting is the hardest part.

Good luck.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Dada

Always a pleasure to hear from you.....Good Luck to you Tony
    The front of the E has the S Class's look to it, which is a good thing IMO. The rear is nice, and could never be confused with another car.
    I think these are just visual tricks.
    If I were to buy a luxury car now, I think Audi would get my money for either an S4 or A6. They seems to have the right mix of looks, performance, and reliability for me. However, my buying/renting cycle does not start again until 2011, and who knows what other car companies would have on the market then.
    I can tell you the lower setting in the A8 has a tendency to catch discarded rubber treads, even though it is just fractionally lower...The first time better that two thousand , the second time not as much damage and maybe four hundred.....I forget the costs, so if I were to buy the Mercedes E I would check to make sure it is higher than the Audi lower setting...Tony
  • ally123ally123 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    I was talking to a friend and we were comparing previous Lexus purchases. I bet the freebies range drastically. For my first Lexus purchase, there was big $6k incentive running so I don't know if I got nothing b/c I got $12k off sticker. So to start - here were some of the freebies we know about. Please list model, dealer, gifts with new/used purchase.

2010 ES350 new, Lexus of Edison, Edison NJ, tagsak(soft ezpass holder - nice), hat

2008 RX400h new, Prestige Lexus, Ramsey NJ, Lexus Key Chain. Asked for additional key chain and got a dealer FOB.

2006 ES330 new, Tri-County, Little Falls NJ, ezpass holder, hat

2005 GX new, Warnock, Whippany NJ nice, large golf umbrella, hat, keychains
    -----
    1996 BMW Z3 new, BMW of Bloomfield, NJ - BMW blanket but i think it came with the car for the back window.
    1993 Jeep Wrangler new, Salerno Duane, Summit NJ, - must've paid too much. got a gift basket with balloons delivered to the office.
    edited April 2010
    Haven't posted much lately... life has been chaotic... but I noticed your post, and I couldn't ignore it... especially when I read that you brought out the Zaino.

Applying Zaino is probably like therapy... ;) ... everything gets better for a while (well, at least with the car's appearance... LOL).

Careful of that XBox... it can take over your son's life (if you let it), and you surely don't want to let that happen.

Best of luck with the upcoming stuff, and keep us posted. :)

TM
    Sports Cars of the Future

Here's a peak into the future.
    link title
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... Applying Zaino is probably like therapy...

It is. I slathered 3 coats of it on my 550i Sport on Easter Sunday. Will probably do 3 more coats this coming weekend. :)
    Wow, one had a stressful Winter? Nice!!

Regards,
    OW
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    edited April 2010
    LD,

I have hardly ever looked at this forum the past half year or so. I am not a car enthusiast in the same sense as a lot of you folks here are. So, I really have no reason to visit until I get a new car again. I am much more into the stock market and commodities. Thus, I find it more interesting to visit and post in the Stock Market and Investing Forum. Here is the link in case some of you want to join Tag, Circle, Anthony, ljflx (Len), myself, and quite a few others in that Forum. You may also find it quite interesting.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f12075b?displayRecent

LD, I am happy to hear that things are starting to look more positive in your life. I am once again excited about the Red Sox this season. Their starting pitching looks awesome.
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    Since I am posting and looking in "the luxury lounge" my looking/posting another section haves no sense.

I have other's watch my investments. That's why I'm in "the luxury lounge". The money has already been made by others and I am just sitting back and spending it.

But, good luck to gathering participants.
    Check out this video...

link title

TM
    What that really shows is just how pathetic the Challenger is. The numbers it puts down at the track are similar to an SUV.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is looking to speak to recent luxury car buyers/owners who considered a Lincoln but then decided against it. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, April 20, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited April 2010
    Thanks, TM...intuitively, I have shopped out and reviewed the MT top pick because it is also the best upcoming auto company out there and they amaze me with their enthusiasm, innovative design and marketing. They make you WANT to buy their cars, unlike the US car companies who EXPECT you to buy their cars.

The Gen Coupe is on my radar BIG! :D

Then, there is this...Watch out Accord/Camry! :surprise:

The 2011 Hyundai Sonata retained its ownership of the top spot among vehicles most considered by shoppers on Edmunds.com for the fifth consecutive week.

Regards,
    OW
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Congratulations. Choosing an A6 over the E Class or a 5 Series is becoming more and more popular. IMHO the MB is too steriotypical a purchase and not fun to drive.

The Bimmer, ah, the Bimmer. If you really want to hear how bad BMW has become, join the BMWCCA and read the letters to the editor and tech sections in Roundel: plastic water pump impellers and plastic necks on the radiators become huge liabilities around the time your warranty expires, new Bimmers lack dipsticks, i drive, etc. etc.

How come no one is talking about or buying the XF??
    So far in NJ, I've seen more XF's and A-5's (including 2 S-5's today alone in a 25 mile drive!) than BMW's but I do see some 2010 E-Class as time goes on. Audi is on a roll and BMW is in the weeds!

In fact, BMW poser-mobiles seem to be the only cars I pass with my CR-V....why buy a 335I if you keep it at 2 grand revs all day long???

A-4 'vertes are becoming the summer car of choice in these parts!

Regards,
    OW
    Then, there is this...Watch out Accord/Camry!

The new Sonata is indeed a massive improvement over its rental king predecessor. The exterior is a bit of a VW CC clone, and the interior is a combination of stolen bits from Acura, Volvo, and Infiniti, but who cares? The Accord has become a button infested boat, and the Camry is just a piece of junk these days. Hyundai also managed to squeeze 200hp out of a normally aspirated four - without needing to rev to 9000 to get there.
    Guys,

I've just placed my order for an LFA, the Lexus Supercar. If Lexus gone ahead and produce them, I would get mine in late 2012.
    I am beyond excited.
    LG, I will be driving a screaming V10 monster just like your S6.
    LG, I will be driving a screaming V10 monster just like your S6.

Well, not exactly like my S6 :)

Let's hope Lexus isn't forced to stop selling the LFA because of lift-off oversteer. That's actually something you *want* to happen in a RWD supercar.
    edited April 2010
    Well, not exactly like my S6

Well the V10 part maybe.. :)

Let's hope Lexus isn't forced to stop selling the LFA because of lift-off oversteer. That's actually something you *want* to happen in a RWD supercar.
    You're being too cryptic here, care to expand on it? I thought it has been thoroughly tested and ran some endurance races as well. :confuse:
    edited April 2010
    This is why you should practice with an extrememly competent instructor and log some serious track time before you take a car at the LF-A's caliber to a 10/tenths level.

Lift-off oversteer (also known as snap-oversteer, trailing-throttle oversteer, throttle off oversteer, or lift-throttle oversteer) is a form of oversteer in an automobile that occurs when the vertical load on the tires shifts from the rear to the front quickly due to throttle release while cornering. This decrease in vertical load causes a decrease in the lateral force generated by the rear axle, so the axle starts to accelerate towards the outside of the turn. This steers the car more tightly into the turn, hence causing oversteer. In essence, this means that easing off the gas causes the rear wheels to break away suddenly, with the potential for the car to leave the road tail first.

IOW, it's the potential to slide off the road AFTER you list of the gas in a corner which is counter-intuitive to throttle-on oversteer, when too much power is applied in a turn and the tail end breaks loose and the potential result is a wall job. Either way, controlling those is what makes driving a top-notch car exhilarating!!

Here's what it looks like:

Lotus Exige S LTO

Regards,
    OW
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    $12K off sticker?

If the RX had anything significant off the sticker I would have been wondering if that was next on the recall list instead of looking at the two key fobs from BMW. They need to find a better supplier for their logo keychains because one of them broke in two (screw came loose and will not go back in) in a few week.

They did provide big bottles of shampoo/wheel cleaner/leather cleaner along with brushes, applicators and such. That was nice...enough to last a couple of years if I didn't already have my own.

They also wash the car when taken in for free maintenance for 4 years which is also nice...now about that transmission and suspension...
    You're being too cryptic here, care to expand on it? I thought it has been thoroughly tested and ran some endurance races as well.

It was a GX460 joke. You don't want a top heavy SUV wagging its tail when you lift off the throttle. With a super car on the other hand, you do. The GX's replacement stability nanny will no doubt come down like an anvil on even the slightest amount of slip. You don't want Lexus to do that to the LFA.
  • ally123ally123 Member Posts: 3
    RX was bought last March 2009 way before the whole story broke on Toyota.
    You really got me there :):):)
    I would be very upset if my LFA ended up in the grass like that. :surprise:
    Audi A8 Beats BMW 7 Series

The new Audi A8 just beat the BMW 7 series in the German car publication Auto Bild.
    Although the article is in German, I thought it would be useful to share this article because these 2 cars are going to be sold in the US with very similar specifications, especially when it comes to engine choices.
    To sum it up, Autobild says the cars are very similar in that one is not better than the other by more than a hairline. The A8's ride is smoother, while the BMW, especially in the rear axle, is tuned more for sport. Space is about the same, but the BMW offers easier entry into the back seat as its rear doors are slightly bigger.
    But when i comes to performance, the Audi edges out the BMW in every major aspect. Despite the BMW's bigger and torque-laden turbocharged motor, the Audi is faster. It accelerates to 100km/h in 5.2 seconds, while the 750i does it in 5.5. The difference in fuel economy is even greater with the Audi burning 11.4L/100km and the BMW with 14.1L/100km. Braking in the Audi is better as well. All this does not come as a huge surprise when one compares the weight of these cars. The A8 is 220kg, or almost 500lbs lighter than the 7-series.
    For more specs, check out the link and scroll down to the performance table, which thanks to universal measurements can be understood even if you don't speak German.
    Overall, the new Audi A8 took 1st place with 376 points and the BMW 750 came in 2nd with 357/400 points.

link title
    edited April 2010
    The new A8 is actually lighter than the A6 thanks to the ASF. BMW and Mercedes have no answer for that, so while the recently massaged 4.2 isn't quite as powerful as its rivals, it doesn't need to be, as it has hundreds of pounds less to lug around.

Aluminum is great stuff, and I suspect that as stricter emissions and fuel economy regulations loom on the horizon, we'll be seeing Audi's space frame appear in their more mainstream models.
    The new A8 is actually lighter than the A6 thanks to the ASF.

Thats right, the A8 hybrid looks interesting its suppose to only weigh around 4000 lbs, thats will be the same weight as the new S4.

link title
    edited April 2010
    The new A8 is actually lighter than the A6 thanks to the ASF. BMW and Mercedes have no answer for that, so while the recently massaged 4.2 isn't quite as powerful as its rivals, it doesn't need to be, as it has hundreds of pounds less to lug around.

Aluminum is great stuff, and I suspect that as stricter emissions and fuel economy regulations loom on the horizon, we'll be seeing Audi's space frame appear in their more mainstream models.

Nothing new to me. Thanks to its aluminum space frame, my 2005 Jaguar XJ long-wheelbase Vanden Plas weighs in only slightly more than a little 3-Series BMW! Hate to say it, but an Audi A8 at around 4000 lbs. weighs in like a fat pig by comparison.

And, with the Jag packing a little more than 300 HP and 300 lbs of torque, its feather-weight body still allows for brisk performance and stellar fuel economy.

A couple months ago I took a little trip up the coast from Malibu to Santa Barbara in the Jag, with passengers aboard, comfortably stretched out, watching movies in the back, and all the while I was achieving 29 MPG!

Wonder if the newest Jag XJ or Audi A8 can match that... LOL.

TM
    Hey, TM....how's the 1'er holding up since the FP job? Have you logged some mile in it since?

Regards,
    OW
    edited April 2010
    Hey, TM....how's the 1'er holding up since the FP job? Have you logged some mile in it since?

Well... since you ask...

The fix was taken care of... but it somehow left me feeling bitter about BMW... there's simply no excuse for sooooooo many fuel pumps going out on so many of their cars, over and over again... it's pathetic.

I don't love the car the same way I once did, so I have put it car up for sale. A friend (and neighbor) of mine owns a dealership specializing in exotic and high-end cars. He took the car to his dealership and said he'd sell it for me.

So, for all practical purposes, and as far as I'm concerned, it's already gone.

I'm enjoying the Jag for now, and patiently waiting for something very cool and environmentally friendly to come along one of these years.

TM
    I feel a bit like you with the BMW, but the dealer has continues to help my wife out on the repairs (seat light this time) the inside looks like the day she purchased it , so although the materials aren`t up to Audi, they certainly hold up..

I haven`t kept a car as long as I am keeping the Audi, since I was a young man... There really isn`t a reason to sell it, as it has been so reliable, and nothing other than the Mercedes E has caught my eye....It make me think that these expensive cars have to be kept a longer time just to justify (somewhat) the big hit on depreciation :) and further right now I would prefer a good tractor :) Tony
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    Oops, I goofed up my post somehow... I'll try again.

I read your post that you are going to get a John Deere tractor. I own a fairly large Kubota tractor (use it on my 38 acres, out-of-state property) that's been very reliable for many, many years, although not as nice as a John Deere. Has front-loader, large backhoe and cutter attachments.

Nothing quite like sitting in the backhoe seat and working those hydraulics... very powerful sensation. Something every one of us men deserves to experience IMO.

TM