Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• Options
    arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    Did you have any issues with NVH with the DI engine?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Just having an engine that will run reasonably on regular with an 11.3:1 compression ratio is amazing to me. That used to be 'ethyl' territory...
  • Options
    jthembajthemba Member Posts: 8
    None...

I'm 28, and I like noise/feel. There's more noise and vibration from a 335i coupe than in the CTS. If I wanted total isolation from the car, I'd buy a Lexus!!! The older buyers may hear/feel something, but there was no NVH on the model I test drove at Lindsay Cadillac in Alexandria, VA. Matter of fact, there's nothing noticeably harsh about this car. Mind you, I only drove 70mph, but at those speeds, this is a solid car.
  • Options
    I don't think I'll be doing any at-home head work on that engine! LOL
  • Options
    threxxthrexx Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone know the lease rates on these? The finance guy at the caddy place down the street from me quoted me 69% residual at 24 months and 15k miles a year and 71% at 24 months and 12k miles a year. He gave me a money factor of "6.15%" which when I told him sounded high he gave me a cheeseball sales guy smile and said something about how we might be able to work on that. Which to me means he obviously wasn't quoting me the base rate... anyone else know?

So anyhow... I just got back from test driving a non-DI 3.6L 08 CTS with a sticker of around 38k... white diamond paint, no sunroof, and I forget what else.

Anyhow. I was far more impressed than I expected to be. I will say, however, that this is NOT a competitor to the 3-series or A4 at ALL in my opinion. It drove very isolated, the steering was overboosted and numb, and it was very quiet... far more like a Lexus GS than any other entry level or mid-tier luxury car I've driven and I've driven most of them. So I guess I might consider this car a budget-priced alternative to a Lexus GS350? It's pretty similar in size too.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Correct. GM is marketing it in the spot above the entry-level cars. It's a bit like the 5 series/E class, and a bit like the GS and A6. I think it hits a sweet spot between the 3 and 5 series, with a little more 5 ish/luxury feel to it(as opposed to sporty like 3 or IS).

And for a LOT less money. The base model with manual(please buy a manual, btw is just over $30K invoice). And even in the most basic trim level, it's a sharp looking car.
  • Options
    ejmachadejmachad Member Posts: 5
    one thing that i have noticed after driving about 5oo miles is that the steering is not perfect.

it seems like the power steering is trying to make up its mind as far as how much to "help". on the road at speed, this is not a problem. when i'm in a parking lot pulling into a space, the steering wheel seems "confused". you can actually hear what seems like a rubbing sound.

it's hard to describe but it takes some getting used to.

the guy at the dealership wants me to bring it in to check it out.
  • Options
    one question for you guys . . . it's been noted that the sunroof shade doesn't block out enough light/heat.

here in florida from 11 to 2 when the sun comes right down, you feel the heat on top of your head.

i got the windows tinted. but the guy who tinted said that if you applied that film to the glass in the sunroof, the glass would eventually break.

has anybody else heard this? the guy at the dealership is checking on this with GM.
  • Options
    Has anybody heard of a hack to enable the DVD player to work when the car is in Drive? i know there was such a thing for the previous models.

i understand the safety reasons for this feature. but i sort of wanted to play kids movies for my small back seat passengers.
  • Options
    Save your life and the lives of your family and get a portable DVD player for the back seat , so you won't be tempted to watch while driving .
  • Options
    It's against the law, so unless an unscrupulous installer performs the workaround, I would seriously doubt that a Cadillac dealer would rig it for you.

There are some affordable headrest DVD monitors out there...try those.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    ... is now up on the 'official' caddy site.

hmmm . .

I checked every option except the engine block heater & optional paint . . .

= = =

2008 CTS 3.6L Direct Injection

Model: 2008 CTS
    Style: 3.6L Direct Injection
    MSRP*: $35,290.00
    Colors: Ext: Black Raven
    Int: Light Titanium Seats With Ebony Interior Accents Leather Seating Surfaces
    Additional Options: $14,295.00

Vehicle Total: $49,585.00

Included Equipment

3.6L Direct Injection MSRP $35,290.00

Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of, 1SA features:
    Engine: 3.6L Variable Valve Timing V6 SIDI Direct Injection with 304 hp
    Transmission: 6-speed automatic
    Colors

Exterior: Black Raven
    Interior: Light Titanium Seats With Ebony Interior Accents Leather Seating Surfaces
    Additional Options $14,295.00

18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package, includes (TT6) HID headlamps, (CE4) headlamp washers, (T96) fog lamps, (P63) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with high-polished finish, (QUR) P235/50ZR18 Y-rated summer only performance blackwall tires, (FE3) performance handling suspension, (G80) limited slip differential, (J55) performance braking system and (V03) Performance Cooling System ([MX0] transmission only).
    Audio system, , AM/FM stereo with CD/DVD player, MP3 playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-speaker system, with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and audio connectivity and steering wheel controls
    Engine, , 3.6L Variable Valve Timing V6 DI Direct Injection, (304 hp [226.7 kW] @ 6400 rpm, 273 lb-ft of torque [368.6 N-m] @ 5200 rpm)
    Luxury Level One Package, includes (UA6) Theft-deterrent alarm system, (U2R) Audio system, (CE1) Rainsense wipers, (TSQ) Accent lighting, and (P62) 17" x 8" machined-faced wheels
    Luxury Level Two Package, includes (KB6) heated/ventilated front seats, (AM9) split-folding rear seat, (N38) Power rake wheel and telescopic steering column, (UG1) Universal Home Remote, (UHA) EZ Key passive entry system (automatic transmission version with remote start. Included when equipped with (MX0) or (MX7) transmissions), (UHF) EZ Key passive entry system (manual transmission without remote start. Included when equipped with (MN6) transmission), (UD7) Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist
    Premium Luxury Collection, includes (Y40) Luxury Level One Package, (Y41) Luxury Level Two Package, (Y44) Seating Package, (UAV) audio system with navigation, (C3U) UltraView sunroof, (B19) Wood Trim Package and (B20) Wood Trim Package
    Seating Package, includes leather seating surfaces, (AH8) 10-way power passenger seat, (AL2) 2-way power driver and front passenger lumbar control, (A45) Memory Package, (KA1) heated front seats and (XA7) heated windshield washer fluid
    Sunroof, , power UltraView, double-sized, tilt-sliding with express-open and power sunshade
    Tire, , compact spare
    Transmission, , 6-speed automatic for AWD
    Wheels, , 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum with high-polished finish
    Wood Trim Package, , real Sapele Pommele on the instrument panel, center console and door trim
    Wood Trim Package, , real Sapele Pommele on the steering wheel and shift knob
    No accessories selected

* MSRP. Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.

Back to Summary

= = =

Odd.
    I cannot quite manage to “break” $50K - without optional paint...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the heads up. Something must be wrong with the site - you can't break 50k on this car, even with the extra paint. Unless I missed something.
  • Options
    readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253

• Options
    "Thanks for the heads up. Something must be wrong with the site - you can't break 50k on this car, even with the extra paint. Unless I missed something. "

That's what I thought - and posted above a while ago.
    Then some one posted elsewhere that they had seen 3 on a Dealer lot - all with AWD - and all with mfr stickers of $52K.

Hmmm...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I can break the $50K with the optional paint. However, I'd have to select the lesser audio system in order to do so (the one without the Navigation system). The configured price with the navi is actually less than the one without the navi :surprise: . There has to be a bug within that site.

I am pretty sure the $52K mfr stickers are including the shipping and few extra accessories.

So I guess I was right about couple months ago that a super duper loaded CTS will top $50K then. :P
  • Options
    Right the site is wrong. Max car is 49,580 with the extra paint, engine block heater and spare tire. 52k must have been with dealer add-ons.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I don't think it is a bug. It's the way that the premium luxury option is discounted. I wanted to see what the cost of the car would be without the sunroof. All of the components of the prem lux package except the the sunroof purchased separately would cost approximately $1,000 more than the the prem lux package (including the sunroof).
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    There are some bugs. There are no selections for wheels and tires, and none for suspension (regular, sport or competition).

The home page still features the '07 CTS Bose edition.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I sat in the black exterior and interior CTS with the sunroof for about 10 minutes, the sunshade was closed -- the A/C, I do believe is powerful enough to compensate, BUT the sensation of radiant heat was still very powerful and I can imagine there will be times when this MIGHT be too much light.

The gauze effect with the black interior does open the interior up a little bit, but with an all black interior the CTS seemed almost confining.

The ecru (or whatever they call it) version with the dark brown dash top, on the other hand was open and, of course, "felt" larger.

Someone here once posted the CTS needs to be in black to make it look larger (black exterior I assume.)

Generally speaking, that is NOT the way we perceive the effect of black -- we actually "see" black cars as smaller and light colored cars as larger.

Cars that tend to be, um, porky, look less so in black and vice versa.

The CTS needs to be seen both in the lighter and darker colors and perhaps side by side the A6 and 5 series.

My 2005 A6 seems noticably larger (speaking of the interior and the back seat in particular) than the CTS, and the loaner 5 series station wagon my wife has seems about equally confined in the back seat (the 5, too, was black on the inside.)

My point? The front seat and the view from the driver's seat is adequate, heck, it is ample -- I'm 6' and 185 pounds and I would have no problem in the CTS.

Just wish the sunshade could have an opaque cover and have been reading the blogs all over about the "foot" parking brake and the moaning over "no bluetooth."

I could probably live without the opaque sunroof cover, but the more I let it sink in, the more I think no bluetooth is a huge blunder. "I thought you put the steering wheel in?" "I thought YOU put it in, pinhead." "Well, everyone that gets a cell phone these days, practically, gets bluetooth, so I naturally assumed you put it in." "Well, whoever's fault it is, its not mine, I put in in the STS -- why didn't you just do the same in the CTS?"

"Well, we're waiting to see if bluetooth catches on. . . . couple more years market research and we'll know."

What were they thinking?

I'm gonna go look over at Infiniti, just for fun. At least you can expect current levels of technology outta them.

:cry: :confuse:
  • Options
    thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    rayainsw - I was at the dealer the other day, and I saw a 304 HP CTS with a MSRP of $34,545. Has the MSRP changed since Wednesday, or is this a typo?

thebug...
  • Options
    Need to add the 745 for destination.
  • Options
    "rayainsw - I was at the dealer the other day, and I saw a 304 HP CTS with a MSRP of $34,545. Has the MSRP changed since Wednesday, or is this a typo?"

No typo ( it would take me a long time to type all that - and I know that I would make mistakes - so , that is a copy \ paste ) but the price shown on 'build your Cadillac' shows a 'base' MSRP that includes destination charge = $745 on the 2008 CTS...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    rayainsw - When I see MSRP, I think in terms of the amount that the state uses to determine licensure/registration fees. In this case the DC is not included. In my state taxes are based on MSRP (which includes MSRP of any bells and whistles) only, DC is again excluded from that amount. Because of the way I purchase/register vehicles, I'm required to pay all assessed taxes up front.

thebug...
  • Options
    Does anyone know what is going on with the wood trim. Is it on hold, are they waiting for the next MY, did the cargo ship from Spain sink, have they dropped it altogether, or what?

thebug...
  • Options
    All of the above :cry:

Actually, I heard it will be available around Oct 1.
  • Options
    univguy1999univguy1999 Member Posts: 8
    If you want to "unlock" your navigation system / DVD player, etc.. You can contact these folks:

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

They have a device that bypasses all of those features that allow you to watch DVD's as well as program navigation while the car is moving. I think there are other features that unlock as well.

Just make sure I'm not coming the other direction if you choose to do so!

Good luck.
  • Options
    pucks - Thanks for the info. I'm holding out for the wood (and other possible upgrades) this time around. We (those who purchased early) missed out on the early (simple but good) upgrades the 03 MY. I know upgrades were made with each consecutive MY, but I want all I can get the first time around.

thebug...
  • Options
    briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    This board is correct, the website isn't quite ready for "build your own". I stopped at the local dealership and the salesman was able to configure a CTS the way I wanted (DI engine...which automatically includes the auto tranny, White Diamond paint, U2S Bose Stereo...no need for Nav, Y41 Luxury Level Two...ventilated seats are a must for Tucson, Y44 Seating package, and Y42 18" All Season Tire Perf Pack). Essentially loaded, minus the AWD, MegaSunroof, and Nav.

MSRP 43,250
    GMS 38,526 (my price)

Having seen it in person, I believe my search is over. The car really is that lovely to look at. I almost don't care how it drives when it looks that good.

Not all is perfect though. The sunroof is quite large and seeing that you can't completely block out the sun is enough for me to not want it. I don't see Caddy selling a lot of this option in the Desert Southwest, but I've been wrong before.

I was originally thinking of waiting for my next tax refund before purchasing, but the salesman said he expects a price bump on the New Year. He didn't know the size of the price increase, but if the car sells as well as expected....I think I'll give myself a nice Christmas present.

Regards,
    BrianTucson
  • Options
    Good luck ordering the Y42 and Y44 (the PDR package) along with Y41. The system won't take it. Unless they changed the order guide again. I wanted that combo too but the ordering system won't allow it.
  • Options
    All I can say is that the salesman worked it into his computer and he handed me the printout. He had to try it a couple different ways, but was able to get me what I wanted.

Good Luck indeed!
  • Options
    knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    Instead of ordering the seating package (Y42) $2,200 and the 18" all season package (Y44) $1,740 = $3940, you'll be better off by ordering :
    PDR Performance Collection (Mfr Code PDR) 3,300.00
    18-In All-Season Tire Performance Package A
    Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlights
    Headlight Washers
    Premium Finish Alloy Wheels, 18-In. X 8-In.
    SBRP235/50VR18 BSW All-Season Tires
    Limited Slip Differential
    Sport Tuned Suspension
    Independent Front Suspension With Short/Long Arm, Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers and Sport Ride Type
    Independent Multi-Link Rear Suspension With Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers and Sport Ride Type
    Performance Brake Package
    Performance Front Power Disc and Rear Power Disc Brakes
    Upgraded Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler
    Front Foglights
    Seating Package
    Leather Seats
    10 Way Power Seat Adjuster
    Driver Power Seat Adjusts 10 Ways Total
    Front Passenger Power Seat Adjusts 10 Ways Total
    Front Dual Adjustable Seat Height
    Front Dual Power Lumbar Support
    Memory Package
    2-Position Driver Power Memory Seat
    Exterior Rearview Mirrors With 2-Position Driver Memory
    2-Memory Adjustments For Driver Side Includes Exterior Mirrors and Seat
    Driver Power Seat Adjusts 10 Ways Total
    Front Dual Heated Seats
    Heated Washer System

You'll save $674 for the exact same options.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. However, it's not Y44 that I was after. What I wanted was Y41 (Luxury Level Two Package), and when that's ordered, you get Y44 auto-magically (as in required). It was the ventilated seats and the split-folding rear seat that I wanted.

But when you check the box for Y41 you pull in all kinds of other options. The list you've provided doesn't include the Y41 options (which was the stuff I desired).

BrianTucson

p.s.
    This car just keeps looking better and better, inside and out. In my opinion (that's all I've got) this is the best interior design in this class, period. I really like the A4 and A6, but with the CTS's (higher) level of content (when optioned that way) I find this interior somewhat cleaner. I love to drive the BMWs, but their interior design makes the Baby Jesus cry. Acura is just awful with their vast sea of buttons.

Just one person's opinion.
  • Options
    At $349 you can get a portable DVD for the back seats for the kids even though it wont sound as good as on the CTS speakers , but it will be safer .
  • Options
    cpramsey54cpramsey54 Member Posts: 4
    All I can say is that although the computer may not want them to select different options, they can still do it. The other night my husband and I were at the dealership attempting to make a deal and the computer allowed the salesman to select leather seating, even though we did not want the Y44 package. I really want this car, but am having a difficult time making a deal on one.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    When I played with the "build your own" setup on the website, it didn't look like you could get the more powerful DI engine with a manual transmission. Can anyone confirm whether you have to get the standard engine if you want a manual?
  • Options
    You can get the manual with the DI. I just think you need to get the 18in summer tire package with it.
  • Options
    Huh? You're saying the salesman said you can get leather seating but not Y44? Y44 is the leather seating package - includes heated seats, power seats, heated washer fluid, memory, etc. I don't think that is correct.
  • Options
    justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    some things have been said regarding direct injected engines and i thought i would share some limited insight into the use of di in engines...i'm not an engineer but i have followed the many advancements in the design of the internal combuistion engine over the last 35 years so i can speak with some degree of knowledge...

di on gas engines, diesels are another animal entirely, has been in use since the late seventies. mitsubishi developed a 4 cylinder engine that got great fuel economy but could not be certified for use in the states...it was a home market engine in japan. the main problem was the lack of refinement in the driveability characteristics of the engine and as mentioned, the emmissions problems. now that computers are used for the engine management systems, di can now be brought to market with enough refinement to make them marketable.

the biggest advantage to a di engine is the cooling aspect of shooting the fuel directly into the combustion chamber...this allows the compression ratio to be bumped up significantly. the increased c/r is a nice bump in the power numbers by itself, but it's only the beginning. one of the most effecient add-on systems to the i/c engine is turbo (not super) charging...this is found money in the power business. to couple di with turbo charging is a marriage made in heaven: one of the biggest drawbacks to a turbo designed engine is the lag, due to lower c/r's used due to detonation and consideration for the life of the motor. audi utilizes di and turbochargiong on their 2 liter 4 banger...supposed to be a very well rounded engine: lots of torque down low and very decent power further up the rpm band.

i have seen some posts regarding design problems with the di engine that the engineers knew about and can't fix...it's hard to imagine that this would be the case but there's a reason why di took so long to get to market...hell, even diesel engines for a long time did not use direct injection, only the long haul semis' utilized it. the diesels used in passenger cars and some light trucks used a prechamber that the injector squirted the fuel into and then was sucked into the c/chamber for the compression and ignition. di diesels in passenger vehicles were deemed too noisy....and of course, the diesel equipped cars/trucks did not have to meet emmission laws and go through inspections for tailpipe emmissions...this will be changing in the near future. the computers can only do so much, under certain loads the use of di will be felt.

that's about it...one more thing and this is just my geuss work regarding the di version of the 3.6 that caddy is using: if there are problems with the dribveablity of the di version then i would suspect it might have something to do with the decision to have the 3.6 di run on 87 versus 93. all other manufacturers of di engines utilize 93 for their engine timing,mapping,cam timing,etc....this was always a nice feature about caddys': they were engineered to run on 87....and i mean engineered...this is a good thing for port injected engine but it might end up being not so good with the di...it's possible that the restrictions put on the engine management systems were just too stringent when 87 was the requirment rather than 93. it's just a thought; i have nothing but a hunch to base it on. i do know that engineering a motor to run on 87 rather than 93 does have a significant impact on how the car will behave in certain conditions; some compromise must be made.

okay...i'm done

jackg
    06 sts6
  • Options
    cpramsey54cpramsey54 Member Posts: 4
    I know, we later found out it was NOT correct, even though it was still quoted to us as an option without the Y44 option.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    has anyone had a chance to drive a manual CTS? All the magazines have critized the shift/clutch feel. Everyone also seems to think the automatic is truly superlative;I do enjoy driving a manual,though.
  • Options
    Basically, it has a on/off feel like a proper high performance clutch should have.

The yuppie reviewers should go back to testing their Civics and Hyundais.

If it can be driven around the Nurenburg Ring at 100+ mph, it's just fine. Yes, this means GM has built a proper, no-holds-barred sports sedan. I bet a lot of A6/G35/5 buyers will take a second look.
  • Options
    knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    I test drove a black 304 hp CTS with
    Premium Luxury Collection (Mfr Code PDQ) $8,165.00
    18” All-Season Tire Performance Package A (Mfr Code Y42) $1,740.00
    18" Polished Aluminum Wheels (Mfr Code P63) $750.00
    Total options $10,655.00
    The MSRP was around $46K.
    The car looks elegant and was very responsive, it has more features and power than my E320, the back seat has plenty of room for my two 6 ft sons, but the sunroof is a joke, I didn’t believe how cheap is the flapping canvas material; I can see and feel the whole sun, shining on the top of my head. Another CTS was inside the dealer showroom with a sunroof, I could even see the neon light though it.
    I asked the dealer if he can get me a similar car without the sunroof, he said it’s impossible to get a top of the line CTS without the sunroof, unless I’m willing to fill a special order request which I refused to do. I gave the dealer my email address and told him to contact me whenever he gets similar CTS without a sunroof so we can make a deal.
    I did my home work and I found out that I can have loaded CTS without the sunroof if I select different options, with all the features in the Premium Luxury Collection package, and the 18” All-Season Tire Performance, but I can’t have the Polished Aluminum Wheels if I choose PDR, Y40, Y41, UAV, B19, B20 as an alternative.
    Otherwise it’ll cost me almost the same without the sunroof and without the polish wheels since I didn’t choose PDQ bundled package + Y42, I also have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the special order.
    I think Cadillac will lose some serious buyers who care about top quality unless they take care of that problem.
  • Options
    letsgometsletsgomets Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a new '08 CTS, ebony exterior and interior, FE2, AWD and all options except spare tire, paid $44.8k, which i'm told is about $1k over invoice (not including holdback, etc).
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Congratulations!

Be sure to post your purchase experience in Cadillac CTS Prices Paid. Also, you can post a review about the dealership starting here: http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html
  • Options
    The other thing that irks me is that to get the split/fold fear seat, you need to order leather.

But the sunroof - yes, it's the biggest joke I've seen in years. Just roll the "blind" back and deal with it. Oh - I saw one without a sunroof yesterday. As I suspected, the roof was about two inches higher inside - much more open feeling.

It's critical, actually. In order to properly see the hood when you drive, you need to have the seat up pretty high. With the sunroof, you're an inch from hitting your head. Without, there's enough space to get the seat up high enough and not hit your head.

Trust me - order it special - just don't get the terrarium option.
  • Options
    The sunroof is the biggest joke you've seen in years? Huh?

So you get a more open feeling from a closed in roof vs a roof that has 70% sunlight available?

I've sat in both and the headspace is incredible. I'm 6-2 and had at least 3 inches to spare.

If you need to sit up so high maybe you should be looking at an SUV, not a sports sedan
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I think the sunroof, itself, is fine. It is the "gauze" interior cover that seems out of place.

And, for some, the issue is you can't de-select it without some $ penalty.
  • Options
    muschanymuschany Member Posts: 4
    Does any sort of compass come standard on the '08 CTS, such as one built into the rearview mirror? I don't see any mention of one in any of the standard features or optional packages. Surely you don't have to get the navigation package in order to find out what direction you're going.