Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    #1380 of 1380 Well. . . by cdnpinhead Sep 19, 2007 (2:42 pm)
    I started wondering if Rockylee had been reincarnated with a new screen name, but apparently not. He's still posting elsewhere these days, but doesn't want to participate here or in the Entry-Level board, now that there actually is an '08 CTS. Strange, given his previous history.

I'd thought some of the recent cheerleading might have been him. Guess again.

============================================================

When you're wrong you're wrong. It's a simple as that.

Other people may back down in the face of untruthfulness so as to avoid being painted as a "fanboy" or as a "rockylee" (whatever that is); but that is irrelevant to me.
    All of that strikes me as rather immature; and I suppose the people who are discussing this car on Edmunds would be old enough to buy one.

All substantial criticisms of the car will stand up to the facts.

All others will wither away or hide behind pejorative titles and name-calling. I have no time for that.

You take care of yourself.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    "cheerleading" is the politically correct word; I thought they're GM's agents.
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    #1382 of 1382 Re: Well. . . [cdnpinhead] by knotem Sep 19, 2007 (3:25 pm)
    Replying to: cdnpinhead (Sep 19, 2007 2:42 pm)
    "cheerleading" is the politically correct word; I thought they're GM's agents.

====================================

Not any more than somebody spreading demonstrable falsehoods (compulsively or not) about it, would be a "BMW agent".
    Occam's Razor precludes both, and rather suggests simpler motivations. There isn't even any evidence that "agents" exist.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...it's about the CAR, not each other. Disagreeing with someone else is fine, but let's leave the personal assumptions and accusations at the door.

Thanks for your cooperation.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    flinging mud at anyone, but expressing disappointment that a strong (to put it mildly) advocate of the (at the time) "next" CTS isn't here to discuss it, now that it actually exists.

There was much discussion at the time about the futility of comparing the virtues of a non-existent vehicle to those actually available.

Now they're all up and running, but some appear to have run farther than others.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I'm the proud owner of one of the first vehicles off the truck at my local dealer but may be paying the price for jumping the gun. I'm still overwhelmingly happy with the car but am already getting to know the service manager a bit too well.

Are any of you new owners out there experiencing the following or other problems?

* Excessive wind noise through the sunroof (needs tightening). I'm one of the few who actually purposely bought this car with a sunroof - the flimsy retractable semi-shade doesn't bother me at all.
    * Oil pressure fluctuates rapidly between 35 and top of 80 during normal driving. Calling dealer in the morning as this one scares me a bit.
    * Steering wheel shakes like a leaf at 70+ (likely a front wheel balance issue)
    * Minor fit issue with Rt front bumper cover and Rt rear of rocker applique. Lt side of car is perfect!
  • mikemckenamikemckena Member Posts: 2
    Just got the price for bluetooth adder $500 seems kinda steep for something they should have included. I understand this is an ALPINE unit and the sell the device themselves for $250 but that means you have to install the unit and locate the mic. which could be a real pain.
    Also has anyone herd anything about the wood shift nob and steering wheel.

Mike
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    My dealer says that the wood steering wheel and shift knob option is constrained right now. If you want it, you'll have to wait. How long, I have no idea.
  • rspruittrspruitt Member Posts: 13
    No- I have not had any of the issues mentioned. However, when I picked up the vehicle (3 weeks ago the day after it was delivered to the dealership) the XM antenna wire had been pinched so it had to be replaced. Regarding the lack of bluetooth, I thought it would be a big issue but I dug out my old BT headset and have no complaints.

Absolutely love the car.....anxious to see how it will do in the snow (AWD), particularly with the seemingly low front bumper. I've driven an SUV for years and may be a bit spoiled.
  • abqhudsonabqhudson Member Posts: 14
    If you want a spare tire - it's an added cost option!

I don't think so. More GM customer manipulation - the reason I haven't owned GM for several years.

When we "looked" at the car yesterday we noted: It's a beautiful car - in and out. My wife (5'3" and 130 lbs) commented about the uncomfortable seats.
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Member Posts: 19
    abqhudson - it's unfortunately not unique to GM to hold out on "essentials" like that. Check out Audi and their $350 for rear side-airbags on ALL of their models! Heck, you can't even get a garage-transmitter on a top of the line A6 (50,000+) w/o getting a ~$2,000 technology package. Or how about having to pay almost two grand on BMW's just so you can get folding rear seats? It's the way the game is played
    ". . .how about having to pay almost two grand on BMW's just so you can get folding rear seats?"

Well, I'm not sure which BMWs you've been optioning out, but your comment was enough to send me to the "Build Your BMW" section of their website, just to verify what I thought was true. Sure enough, fold-down rear seats are still $475 (on the 3-series) and can be chosen independently of any other option or package.

Since I hadn't priced anything out for six months or more, I thought the situation might have changed since I last did it. Nope, so I guess I'm confused by your comment.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    rspruitt -
    You have a point about the low front bumper - looks good and makes the front end look tough but, parking curbs and minor snow piles this winter could be a problem. There was an earlier post indicating the rails in a car wash rubbed! Who wants to test that theory?
    Dealer indicated the rapid movement of the oil pressure gauge was normal, including the range of 35 idle to topping out the gauge at 80 when accelerating.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I had inherriited an '05 STS. Fully loaded, including nav, bluetooth, etc.

The car had numerous problems, not the least of which was its practically worthless bluetooth phone capability.

Doing some research, after getting stonewalled by my 3 Caddy dealers regarding the "non-funtional" blue tooth capability (trying at least a half dozen different phones), GM and Cadillac, in particular, does not adhere to blue tooth standards. Who knows the reasons, but GM decided to do it "their way" when it came to blue tooth features. I suspect cost and licnesing fees had something to do with it.

What was clear in my research was the fact that Cadillac included bluetooth capabilities as a "check mark" feature item...when compared to other vehicles in its class. In typical GM fashion, no thought was given to its actual functionality (meaning it didn't work at all).

There were many other issues with the car. GM fought me tooth and nail, but they eventually bought it back under the "lemon law".

And yes....bluetooth capability will be a deal breaker for many, given how some of the more mundane cars out there offer this feature (and it works). And no, On-Star isn't a credible alternative (given its added cost and the need for yet another phone #).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • rem506rem506 Member Posts: 13
    The STS isn't the firs car that contained a Bluetooth option that was completely worthless. I have a friend and a family member that each own G35's and neither are able to use their Bluetooth to hold a conversation. Both owners have the same complaint. They can hear the other party but the other party can't hear them. This inevitably leads to the other party asking them to be taken off Bluetooth becasue the drivers voice is too muffled to understand.
    Cadillac DTS and STS will be nixed has officially been confirmed in an interview with the brand's general manager, Jim Taylor. Sales of both models are down for the year, and Taylor admits that one premium-luxury sedan will be developed to compete in the segment.

http://news.speeple.com/autoblog.com/2007/09/17/cadillac-replacing-dts-and-sts-w- ith-one-vehicle-entry-level-model-coming.htm
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Member Posts: 19
    I was referring to the cold weather package that is required if you want the rear-folding seats on certain 3-series models...the 335 doesn't have that restriction
    I'm happy to hear that GM has finally made this decision. Truthfully I think the handwriting was on the wall some time ago but I think that there were some in GM that were hedging their bets with keeping the DTS around in some way shape or form. The Deville/DTS has been around for nearly 60 years and its hard to let go a product that historically has been very good to you in terms of sales. But that product no longer fits into the future of where Cadillac needs to be.

The last great customer base of the Deville/DTS was the Greatest Generation. The Baby Boomers long since moved onto other kinds of vehicles, mostly European imports and Lexus (including my mother). Cadillac has been trying to make strides to remake their product line and image, but this product needs to be relegated to the past to give product managers the freedom to go to the next step.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Has anyone heard about the PDW option package. While trying to place my order, (I requested everything except the moon roof, and AWD) they couldn't get the order to run as such. After a week of trying they called Cadillac. Cadillac told them that they had to select to PDW option (it supposedly became available 9/22/07) which includes the performance package (PDR) alone with Y40 lux level 1, & Y41 lux level 2. To date, it still hasn't worked, but I guess they know what they are talking about.

I wonder how the strike will effect the orders for new Cadillacs. The news talked about Pontiac G6 prodution, but mention no others.

thebug...
    Here's the latest update from GM (9/21/07)

PDW NEW! Performance Luxury Package, includes (Y40) Luxury Level One Package
    and (Y41) Luxury Level Two Package
    1 - Requires (PDR) Performance Collection. Not available with (MN6) Aisin 6-speed
    manual transmission, (PDP) Luxury Collection, (PDQ) Premium Luxury Collection, (UAV)
    AM/FM stereo with CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound
    10-speaker system and HDD-based navigation with XM NavTraffic/Real Time Weather, or
    Fleet order types. Can upgrade (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with
    premium multi-coat painted finish to (P63) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels
    with high-polished finish.
    2 - Requires (PDR) Performance Collection. Not available with (MX7) 6-speed automatic
    transmission for AWD, (PDP) Luxury Collection, (PDQ) Premium Luxury Collection,
    (UAV) AM/FM stereo with CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound
    10-speaker system and HDD-based navigation with XM NavTraffic/Real Time Weather, or
    Fleet order types. Can upgrade (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with
    premium multi-coat painted finish to (P63) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels
    with high-polished finish. Also, can replace (Y42) 18" 45.7 cm) All-Season Tire
    Performance Package with (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    No, with tongue in cheek, HERE is the latest update from GM

All vehicle production will be on hold until Spring, 2008, when we will bring out all of our new cars as early 2009 models... :P ;) :shades:
    knotem - Thanks. I didn't know it was not available with the nav system That may be the problem with the order, they are trying to include the nav system with the PDW, and it keeps defaulting to the Premium Lux Collection Package.

This will make the total a little less as well. I get to pocket about 3K or so.

thebug...
    “Early 2009 Models”
    Is that including an early 09 CTS with a fix for the existing sunroof cover, or a conventional sunroof that covers the sun 100%, when it’s not need it, which will meet loyal Cadillac customer’s expectation?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please post your comments about the full test here.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I have read at least 5 CTS reviews and no one has mentioned the "showstopping" sunshade issue. MT mentioned that the Mini has a similar sunshade in the current issue. If this issue is so major I find it interesting that no one has complained about it in a review.
    nobody charges more for features that should be standard than Euro brands. You cannot seriously think that GM is a worse offender when it comes to charging customers for things that should be included.
    automobile magazine had a longterm GS430 and they noted the BT system never worked right during the time they owned the car.
    IF you and others dont like the car I would think its time to go and get a BMW or LExus and call it a day. This car is obviously not perfect and most cars are not. If you are not a fan and are bothered by the fact that not everyone shares your opinion that the car is a disappointment then I see no reason to comment on the car any further. There are cars on the market with BT, regular sunshades and whatever other features you demand.
    "This car is obviously not perfect and most cars are not."

Absolutely. We can agree on that, if you're willing to.

The point I was trying to make was that the poster in question hyped the revised CTS to an extent that went well beyond perfection -- this thing was the second coming. He was called on it at the time, but the response was, . . . "just wait."

Well, we did, and here we are.

I think the CTS is an improved vehicle, and it wasn't that bad to begin with, assuming you're willing to go along with how it looks. It exists now, and the comparisons, done by actual people who have driven it and measured it in a number of ways, vs. a number of other cars, have begun. The "talk is cheap" phase of this whole exercise is over.

I'm sure many people will sign up to own/lease the new CTS. Others won't. We should be able to agree on that as well.

That wasn't my point.
  • yooin14yooin14 Member Posts: 2
    i know CTS has more hp but its weight waay bigger than TL.

so question here

is DI engine 306hp CTS faster than regular Acura TL or type S ?
    Here're two more reviews to read:
    "By Kelsey Mays
    Cars.com
    September 4, 2007
    ....it does a poor job blocking out the sun and mitigating wind noise. A smaller, conventional moonroof is not available.”
    Just click on the moonshade photo
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?aff=tucson&revid=52131&makeid=8&mod- elid=6128&year=2008&revlogtype=20&section=reviews.

“By Frank Aukofer
    JSOnline
    September 12, 2007
    The shade for the sunroof is some sort of perforated translucent fabric, which does a poor job of blocking bright sunlight”
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp;jsessionid=BFDZO2AICO45RLAYIEP4S0Y?- revid=52185&indcriteria=ASSET_TYPE-Affiliate+Review%2CBuying+Guide%2CVehicle+Pro- file%7CM-_8_%7CD-_6128_%7CY-_2008_%7CresultStructure-combined&revlogtype=19&make- id=8&modelid=6128&year=2008&myid=&revlogtype=19&section=reviews&mode=&aff=nation- al

The majority of the complaints on this board are because of the sunshade that doesn’t block out the sun-light when it’s not needed. It also penetrates heat to the cabin when the car’s parked under the sun (a problem can be fixed sooner or later).
    This is not a MINI; it's a Cadillac for GOD SAKE!

Besides the number of complaints on this board, here’re some more complaints about the sunshade in the Internet from unbiased Cadillac’s loyal customers:

“by mathouth from San Jose, California (9/21/07)
    Pros: Great looking, good handling, very powerful and luxurious
    Cons: Ugly semi sunroof shade penetrates 50% of the sun.”

“by bgmr from Brampton, ON (9/16/07)
    Pros: New, exciting look, great performance, handling
    Cons: Sun shade needs to be improved”

“by brian from colma, california (8/30/07)
    Pros: the new instrument panel is much improved over the 07s much easier to use
    Cons: the sunroof shade is very cheap on the ulra view sunroof”
    http://autos.yahoo.com/cadillac_cts-reviews_user/

Also:

“by: pete paner Says:
    September 23rd, 2007 at 10:57 am
    I took the 08 CTS DI for a test drive; it didn’t take me long to really love it; the MSRP was a little over $47,000, but compare it to the MB E Class is a great bargain. Car critics called it “The best Cadillac in 50 Years” and I called it “the best Cadillac ever”.
    Unfortunately it has a cheap sunroof cover (with wind noise) which blocks only 50% of the sun when I don’t need it; what makes it worse is that you can’t configure the car with the Premium Luxury Package minus the sunroof, unless you’re willing to pay more for less, by not taking the Premium (bundling) package”

“J.L. Says:
    September 9th, 2007 at 10:12 pm
    Well, I am glad to see a review that didn’t bash a GM product. I too hope the general public will forget what Cadillac has done in the 1970s to 1990s and just focus on this and if they must look at the pass, look at the time when Cadillac was a competitor of Rolls-Royce and Mercedes-Benz back in the 1920’s. Hopefully Cadillac will get up to more of that status, this is certainly a good start! keep it up Cadillac!”
    http://www.speedsportlife.com/2007/09/09/dubspeed-driven-first-drive-2008-cadill- ac-cts/#comment-41095

The last one was my favorite subject about Cadillac in general; I too like to compare today's Cadillac to Mercedes and Rolls since I'm a Cadillac fan.

You can't hunt "die-hard" Cadillac fan that has any criticism about the car he/she likes. I’ve waited a year for the 08 CTS and I can wait few more months, another year, or I may never buy the CTS; but I'm definitely not going away now.

If anybody has a complaint about the 08 CTS and really cares to have GM people hear it; email it to:
    mcsfeedback gm.com
    I did, because I care about the brand.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    They are equally fast.

The question you may want to have answered has nothing to do with "fast." I suspect your question is the CTS quicker than the TL?

Further, if that is, indeed, your real question, HP has less to do with it than torque and torque at what RPM.

Weight is important -- that is not the question.

Finally, even if the torque is low or high at "X" RPM, the final drive ratio can also have a significant effect on "quickness."

And, if you were really to pick your nits, speed will be limited by HP if the final drive ratio is too short.

The DI engine with the 6 speed automatic and the extra heft (even) of the AWD system certainly feels "spirited."

Such a combo may not win any drag races of the official type -- but the CTS DI AWD 6 speed auto is VERY quick and is, undoubtedly, as fast or faster than a super majority of other cars on the road at any price point.

What the heck, most of these ELLPS and LPS type cars are artificially speed limited. Therefore, there is a decent chance they're all "about" equally fast.

Why would anyone care anyway? How often do we really even have the "real estate" to exceed 130MPH?

Get a grip.

:surprise:
    markcincinnati - Why would anyone care anyway? How often do we really even have "real estate" to exceed 130MPG?

Real-estate isn't the problem, there's lots of real-estate. Stamina is the real issue. It is very difficult to drive at triple digit speeds for a long period of time. Very, very taxing on the body and mind. Besides, American highways aren't made for it. Imagine hitting a pothole while traveling at greater than two miles per minute (130MPH) OUCH, OUCH, OUCH !!!

thebug...
    knotem - They got the order to work without the moonroof. The PDW option (price unknown) was the trick. My fix to the moonroof issue is not to get one in the first place. I'll bet that in the near future they will replace the shade with an opaque one of some type.

thebug...
    Does anyone know the price for the new PDW option group?

thebug...
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    not sure yet..the PDR performance collection was $3300 MSRP....so that might give you a baseline.....to go from..
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    I'd rather have the "mesh" or fabric sunshade that is on the 08 CTS versus some others I've seen. Bad comparison, but the one on the impala reminds me of a piece of plywood. About 3/4 inch thick.

I live in a 4 season climate and get 5 90 degree days a year - much rather have 50% light on most days that 0% or 100%.
    pao - I going to guess 4.5K-5.5K because both options included in the PDR @ $3300, taken as individual options, they total $3940, which is $640 more. Adding Y40 @ $850 & Y41 @ $2050 brings it to $6815 as separate options. Using the same percentage ratio that they used on the Premium Lux Package which is 30% less than purchasing them as separate items (assuming they will), it falls between the above said price.

I just hope that they reveal the price (on line) before my order comes in, and the price negotiations begin. Otherwise without published prices, they can pretty much tell me anything. It will be interesting to see how they break it down.

thebug...
    pucks - As always, some people will like the shade as it is, just as you do. I think they should offer an option of two screen types, the current and a solid cover. Maybe they will as the MY progresses.

thebug...
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    look at the invoice price as well...believe for the PDR its around $2700 so about $500 off the MSRP price....Im waiting to see the package now as well.....would be a good combination...found out through my buying service offered by my bank....and talking with my local dealer..I can get the car for $950 over invoice..regardless of options and that includes destination fee......probably the best deal around at the moment if you dont have a GM card or other related discount
    thebug - This is how to figure out the invoice price on the 08 CTS from the MSRP (sticker) price:

Take off 6.5% from the MSRP (vehicle only without options)
    Take off 17% from Total MSRP options
    Add $745 Dealer Freight Charge = Total Invoice Price
    "I think the CTS is an improved vehicle, and it wasn't that bad to begin with, assuming you're willing to go along with how it looks. It exists now, and the comparisons, done by actual people who have driven it and measured it in a number of ways, vs. a number of other cars, have begun. The "talk is cheap" phase of this whole exercise is over. "

have you been reading the reviews? based on your commentary I would assume not. You have beef with someone who said the vehicle would be VERY competitive and it is according to what I am reading. Can you explain how the vehicle was inproperly hyped up? It seems to me you werent a fan to begin with and now you are proclaiming the car a disappointment although the media doesnt seem to agree.

What we have here is a small group of disgruntled people who are in agreement that some minor issues overshadow the good things about this car. There is no consensus that the car is a dud as you seem to be inferring. The car as far as I can tell is delivering what was promised with a few minor drawbacks. If you have some type of evidence to show that the car has been underwhelming besides the opinions of 3 guys in this forum let me know.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    The car as far as I can tell is delivering what was promised with a few minor drawbacks.

Bingo!!

Couldn't say it better myself.

I am ready to crown CTS as the "standard of the segment" interior wise.
    I did read the cars.com review before but forgot he noted the complaint. The other reviews I read did not note the complaint. I dont have a problem with light from the sun entering the car as long as the direct glare of the sun isnt in my eye when driving. If the shade can accomplish that I could live with it. I'm sure the light factor is the reason why they have designed such a shade.

This doesnt seem to be a deal breaker for most who have driven the car. Edmunds is probably getting a long term car so perhaps they will note this issue during the test period. We know they are experts at finding fault in domestic vehicles.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    For the sunroof. What troubles me is not just that it couldn't cover the sunlight 100% but it's also that it looks cheap and the most important, it feels cheap. I'll tolerate this kind of design in a Scion tC but definitely not in a $40K+ luxury sedan. Cadillac should come up with a solution before more buyers are driven away due to this issue.

Other than that it's a solid effort from Cadillac.
    Yes, I've read (& certainly heard about) the reviews.

The car is good, but it's not the second coming. Another GM fanboy made a big splash in all the CTS-related boards with "what was coming" a year or so ago. He's no longer to be heard from. Why? He still posts here. My post was directed at him & those like him. Talking up a car that doesn't exist is an easier chore than defending one that does.

The people I want to hear from are those who have posted on these boards for years (and there are several) who drive this class of car. You have an excellent advocate in Sevenfeet, and several other regulars have said complimentary things about the CTS. Others haven't. This is useful input to me.

The car rags praise anything to the sky that they think might result in increased ad revenue. They all thought the Infiniti M walked on water, but the market over the past few years tends to say otherwise.

It'll be instructive to see how the CTS does in the market. I think quite well, since there's a huge "buy American" group out there, and the car appears to be at least OK. Heavy & (overly, IMHO) flashy, but OK.
  • avatardsavatards Member Posts: 2
    Note that PDR is not included in PDW. PDR is just a prerequisite for PDW. Options included in PDW are Y41 and Y40 which sum up to $3025 if ordered separately before Y41 became unavailable as a stand-alone collection, or $2875 when ordered with PDR. I believe the last figure is the closest prediction therefore.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    As the saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". What is flashy to you may be 'impressive' to someone else.

As to the car rags, I think that what is important to the magazine car jockey's is not what is important to the average car buyer. Most want an automatic transmission, not a manual. Most are not looking for sub 6 second 0-60 mph. Most car buyers are not writing to this forum.
    I never thought I'd be considered to be an "advocate" but I guess I've posted here enough to earn that title (for better or worse...you often end up coming off as a paid schill to some).

I've never tried to hide my own motivations. I do want Cadillac and GM to succeed and I've had more than a passing interest in the brand, having owned four Caddies in the last 20 years. It probably began with my family who owned them when I was a kid. My cousin's family drove Mercedes since the '60s. What does he drive? An E-class.

Frankly, I was looking to not buy another one in '03 when the CTS came along. It looked different than everything else, drove like no Caddy I'd ever owned, and I could afford one. Turns out it was the best car I ever owned (a sentiment shared by my wife). We traded it for an SRX when we got kids....very sorry to see that car go.

So when the '08 CTS finally came to market, was I interested? You bet. Is it the only thing out there competing for my hard earned dollar? Nope. The number of vehicles in this space are growing and the quality of them have skyrocketed in the last several years. Because of my size, I have different needs than most of the rest of you, so I don't expect any of you to use the exact same criteria I use to buy a car.

My short list these days are still the '08 CTS, the Infiniti M35 and the Acura RL. Why? I fit in them! The BMW 535i, Mercedes E350 and others just don't work for me. I wish they did but they don't. Not everyone makes things for the last 1/2 or 1% of the population in terms of height (nor do I expect them to).

The CTS interests me because I had a good experience with the last one. I agree, the car is a bit flashy, but so have most Cadillacs over the last 80 years...no big change there. I agree it's too heavy...hopefully something can be done about that over time. And I probably would have not brought a perforated sunscreen to market (although it's hardly the dealkiller in my book...I rarely closed the screen on my old CTS). I don't agree that the screen is "cheap". It's the solution to an engineering problem when you make a sunroof that big. Somehow I would suspect that screen (and the roller and motor assembly) cost a lot more than a plastic (or cardboard) sunscreen covered with the roof liner found in most vehicles.

It's a nice car...and I agree, best Caddy since the '50's (with the possible exception of the '67 Eldorado). Is it all things to all buyers? No product is. But I think it's more than good enough to find an audience.