Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• leslie12leslie12 Member Posts: 15
    I hope the dealer "honors" my deal!

When was the last time a cadillac was named a car of the year?
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    leslie12 - Costco has a program (if your a member) that allows a discount of the going rate for a given vehicle. The amount varies, but the discount is usually pretty good. You can go to a Costco become a member ($50), call them and let them know what type of car you are buying, and they will assign you a rep at a dealer in your local area to complete the purchase. The best thing is, there is no pricing hassles, it's pretty straight forward.

Costco will explain the entire process prior to your purchase. Think the going rate for the 08 CTS is 2K over invoice plus any other discount that you are authorized, ie; GM, dealer rebates etc. The CTS is a hot item so it's a good way to go. I bought two cars at the same time, (different dealers) and saved at least 5K on the purchases overall. The 07's on the lots had the biggest discounts. Some had as much as 4K under invoice, but they were only equipped with the basics.

thebug...
  • leslie12leslie12 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info. I am a costco member. I just never knew or took seriously some of the discounts as such that they offered. I will go there to shop, but I guess I need to investigate the other "pluses" to membership.

Thanks again.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Motor Trend magazine just announced the CTS as their Car of the Year. read about it at:
    http://www.motortrend.com/
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Just for grins:

2008 Cadillac CTS
    2007 Toyota Camry
    2006 Honda Civic
    2005 Chrysler 300C
    2004 Toyota Prius
    2003 Infiniti G35
    2002 Ford Thunderbird
    2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
    2000 Lincoln LS
    1999 Chrysler 300M
    1998 Chevrolet Corvette
    1997 Chevrolet Malibu
    1996 Dodge Caravan
    1995 Chrysler Cirrus
    1994 Ford Mustang
    1993 Ford Probe GT
    1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
    1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
    1990 Lincoln Town Car
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
    1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1986 Ford Taurus LX
    1985 Volkswagen GTI (eligible due to it being built in VW's now-defunct Pennsylvania plant)
    1984 Chevrolet Corvette
    1983 AMC / Renault Alliance
    1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries / Plymouth Reliant
    1980 Chevrolet Citation
    1979 Buick Riviera S
    1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon
    1977 Chevrolet Caprice
    1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare
    1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2
    1974 Ford Mustang II
    1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1972 Citroën SM (An imported vehicle that was selected overall "Car of the Year")
    1971 Chevrolet Vega
    1970 Ford Torino
    1969 Plymouth Road Runner
    1968 Pontiac GTO
    1967 Mercury Cougar
    1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
    1965 Pontiac Motor Division
    1964 Ford Motor Company (Not for the Mustang)
    1963 American MotorsRambler
    1962 Buick Special
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1960 Chevrolet Corvair
    1959 Pontiac Motor Division
    1958 Ford Thunderbird
    1957 Chrysler Corporation
    1956 Ford Motor Company
    1955 Chevrolet Motor Division
    1954 No award
    1953 No award
    1952 Cadillac Motor Division
    1951 Chrysler Corporation
    1950 No award
    1949 Cadillac Motor Division

I think my two favorites are the Alliance & the Vega, though the Corvair is interesting as well.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • adamg2adamg2 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone else feel particularly gratified for ordering this car before the Car of the Year Award? The article and associated video on the Motor Trend website are the highest praise for the 08 CTS I've come across thus far.
    adamg2 - Absolutely!!!

thebug...
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    The list of old winners is an interesting lesson in how the COTY award is sometimes for an important vehicle as opposed to an important and GOOD vehicle. The Chrysler K cars were complete crap but they were cheap in bad financial times for the country and saved Chrysler from going under. The Chevy Vega had great technology on paper that wasn't durable 5 miles off the dealer lot. And the Corvair was like Porsches and VWs of the day...a really different...and bad idea (rear engine). The difference was the execution of the application. VW and Porsche generally did it well...GM did it poorly.

I think in recent years MT has tried to raise the bar for the selection process and try to select a car that will stand the test of time. Not all do, but the recent decade has the Vette, the Camry, Prius and 300C. Only the Thunderbird falls short of the other cars in that era.

My votes for worst cars of the COTY historical list:
    1971 Chevy Vega (again, who knew it would be so unreliable at the time?)
    1974 Mustang II (truthfully, few cars of that era were any good)
    1975 Chevy Monza (a small hatchback that weighed about as much as a Caddy Fleetwood...a friend of mine in high school had one)
    1976 Plymouth Volare (where do I start with this turkey)
    1980 Chevy Citation (my first car as a teenager. Underpowered and overweight, the car's torque steer was so bad that the whole front end shook at 70 MPH)
    1983 Renault Alliance (the "Appliance" was almost as breakdown prone as the K-cars)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (another overweight turkey)
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Good observations. Think where we would be without competition for the Japanese. Scary to think about it.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    SevenFoot 0,

Any rememberances as to how awful the following vehicles are that you omitted?

I've been around long enough to remember a lot of the list (born class of '63)

1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
    1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
    1990 Lincoln Town Car
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC

These omissions from your list were simply bad.

Too heavy. No fun. Bad resale.

I've a feeling that we've re-entered a "golden age" of vehicles. Look back to what was happening in the 60s...Great designs, great performance...and what's happening again now. Instead of each manufacturer trying to look like a global designer, we have each designer looking like a nationalist. Why does the CTS or 300C look "American", or the Camry/Civic look "Japanese" or the bizarre 3 series look "German"?

It's the nationalist trends that have given us the sharpest designs.

Viva Le Difference!!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I would take issue on three of the four choices.

The 1992 Cadillac STS was considered to be a very good product in the context of the day. Cadillac was replacing the older 1987-1991 Seville, which was undoubtedly the worst product of the Seville/STS era dating back to 1976 (although the 1980 model with the Olds diesel engine could be argued as worst too). The older Seville and Eldorado were too small, too bland, too overweight, too weak on power....a complete failure. The 1992 model was larger with crisp lines that set the stage for the more radical Art & Science styling motif we know now (although the 1998 Seville/STS was a stylistic retreat according to critics and buyers). Even the handling was considered to be pretty good considering it was a FWD car. But the 1992 Seville was an unfinished product. The 1993 model that delivered the first Northstar V8 was the product that made you forget completely about the old Seville.

The 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic LTZ really wasn't that great of a product but it wasn't unsuccessful completely. The Caprice Classic would go on to be an extremely popular police cruiser (and taxi/livery vehicle) and the LTZ model would eventually morph into the highly desirably Impala of that era. But like the Seville of the era, it was unfinished. The bathtub like rear wheel wells would get quickly redesigned into something less goofy.

The 1990 Lincoln Town Car was the vehicle that seriously challenged the Cadillac Deville's stranglehold on traditional full sized luxury vehicles offering a proper rear drive car against the FWD Devilles of the day. The RWD Caddy Broughams of the day were large and ungainly. And this product all but ended Cadillac's dominance on the executive livery business, taking 90% of the market, a dominance they haven't given up to this day. Only Caddy's funeral business didn't fall under the onslaught of this product.

The 1989 Ford Thunderbird SC. Yeah I agree...boring product that had no future market significance.
  • bdingbding Member Posts: 13
    Ordered my 08 CTS the first week of October, 08 ( DI, RWD, F2, moon roof, 18" wheels) Dealer said plan on 6-9 weeks for delivery. Spoke with him this week and he said because of "constraints" that I may not get delivery until February or March. WTF is this!
    What exactly did you order that is under constraint?
    Options on my CTS are 18" polished aluminum wheels, performance collection, performance package, seating package and ultraview sunroof. Dealer didn't know what the constraints were. But from reading previous posts, it seems to be the polished wheels are in short supply. To me, the wheels with Black Raven paint make the car.
    I now realize that I need to contact my sales rep. I signed the lease on October 26th - expected delivery date was said to be early January. I sincerely hope this is still the case.
  • lenbrovermanlenbroverman Member Posts: 18
    I was lucky to find a dealer who had the black raven exterior, black interior and polished wheels. It looks great and worth your waiting for. The car looks and drives incredibly.
  • hemi05hemi05 Member Posts: 5
    I ordered '08 CTS, Red, DI, AWD, PDQ on 10-16-07. Dealer told me on 11-19-07 that order delayed because of production constraints, but did not know details. Info at "wheels.com" lists current '08 CTS constraints at 11-23-07: manual tranny, "18 inch polished wheels", and "PDW". Anyone have additional info on constraints? Anyone take recent delivery with B20 wood package or PDQ "Premium Luxury Collection"?
    hemi05 - I must have gotten in just under the wire, because I ordered my CTS on 9/26/07 (build date 10/15/07) and it was in by 10/29/07. I picked it up on 10/31/07. I have the PDW, 18" polished wheels, black on black, leather, U2S, wood trim (dash/doors only) and performance package. It was well worth the wait, what an awesome car.

thebug...
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I'm looking to purchase a 08 CTS 3.6 DI auto in the next few months. I'm having a problem figuring out something on Cadillac's website. Is the only sunroof/moonroof option available the double-view sunroof? If I don't get the option does that mean I get not sunroof/moonroof at all?

BTW, drove it this past week..excellent car.. Hopefully trading in my '00 Acura TL. Drove the current TL also, CTS is a much better product.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    A couple of sessions ago I mentioned I saw a "traditional" sunroof on a '08 CTS. Confirmed with the dealer that that was an aftermarket installation--the much maligned double panel roof is the only GM roof. Looked great. But when sitting in the car, in the back, it had negative headroom, i.e. my head was pushing up the headliner (and I'm 6 ft., but tend to slouch....). So if you'd be tempted to go that route, be careful.

To piggy back onto your question: Am I going to be forced to take the sunroof if I option some of the premium packages?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Does anyone know than how hard it is to get a 3.6 DI without a sunroof???

I'm looking for a pretty basic one, just with a couple of the basic luxury packages which total $2,600 for a total MSRP of under $38K.

I really don't want the double sunroof option which as you say would eat too much rear seat headroom, plus I bet the option adds at least 200lbs. to the weight of the car.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    If the only problem with the sunroof option was the real passenger head room or the actual (100 lb excess weight) I would’ve bought the 08 CTS 3 months ago. That panoramic sunroof virtually has no sunshade; the hot California sun can penetrate in the summer through the translucent sunshade when you don’t need it.

I found out that if you don’t need the sunroof, you have to place a special order through the dealer; it takes Cadillac from 6 to 8 weeks to fill the order.
    Have you driven the car on a hot sunny day and felt the heat of the sun through the sun shade, or are you assuming the problem because of the translucency of the shade?

The glass of the sunroof is UV coated and I wonder if this compensates for the lack of opacity.
    maxhonda99 - I have the 3.6 DI without a sunroof. For me it was a difficult order because I wanted everything except the sunroof. For you it should be easy because you only want a few options. From my understanding, the only way you're forced to get the sunroof is if you want the nav system otherwise you can pretty much work around it.

It really all depends on what your option choices are. If you want LL1 and LL2, then you have to go with PDW which makes the Performance Collection mandatory. If you don't just get the Luxury Collection and that will keep it pretty basic. I've seen two or three at the local dealers in my area without sunroofs in the 37K price range, some with the DI engine and some without, but most already have sunroofs.

So you'll probably have to order, which in my view is the better way to go. My reason for not getting a sunroof had nothing to do with the see through shade, I just don't do sunroofs. For "me" it just doesn't make sense to put a hole in the top of your car. And as always, each to his own.

thebug...
    The 08 CTS I’ve test driven was parked at the dealer lot under the sun in about 95 degrees summer day; when we get in, the seats were extremely hot from the translucent sunshade, and the “UV coated sunroof” wasn’t enough to block the sun. I had my two sons with me, it was DI engine, fully loaded 2WD with MSRP over $47K; even though the air conditioning was on, we can still feel the sun-ray and heat on the top of our heads and shoulders; it was also cheap looking and doesn’t fit Cadillac style. Yes! when you open the sunshade the panoramic sunroof looks very elegant, almost like a convertible, unfortunately without the choice of ever having a top.

I really loved the car, the style, the fresh look, the ample power, the smooth ride with FE2 suspension, and the great handling. I’ve waited since January for the 08 CTS, and I was hoping to make a deal that day if it wasn’t for the sunroof shade; if Cadillac offers “Premium Luxury Collection” without the sunroof or with a conventional one I would’ve bought the car right at the seen.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Cadillac has a dealer order code called "sunroof delete". I am not sure if the code has been changed for 2008, but it was R6G.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I apologize for being a few weeks late on this post, but wanted to respond since I've had a great experience with my Toyota Sienna's adaptive cruise control.

The problem you described about picking up a car and not realizing it's not in your lane does not happen in mine. In fact, when I'm in the left lane going around a curve to the left, I wonder why it doesn't think an oncoming car is not coming right at me?!?

If someone pulls in front of me, but is accellerating, it also will not apply the brakes (though it may lift off the gas a little). The only time it slams on the brakes when I wouldn't necessarily do so is when I car cuts me off. I do have to look out - if I see a car driving agressively is zooming along my side and is probably going to cut right in front of me and zoom off, I do need to disengage the system to avoid a hard brake.

ANother nice feature is that I input the distance I want between me and the next car. Not in "feet", but in setting 1, 2, and 3. I think this is new b/c I drove a 2003 Lexus with adaptive cruise and I couldn't see how to adjust the distance.

In the Sienna, you also have the choice of adaptive cruise and regualr cruise.

ANyway, adaptive cruise is getting better - don't give up on it so easily! :D
    I'm interested in reviews about how the manual transmission works - quick/late clutch engagement, a hard, clicking shifter like most sportscars v. the smooth shifting of Honda/Acura products, etc.

I'm not in the market (yet), and with 2 little one's in carseats, I won't be taking a test drive for awhile, but I am keeping track of this car. I've been looking, but haven't found anyone describing the manual transmission.

Hope yours isn't delayed to Feb, adamg2, but whenever you get yours, and if anyone else out there has the manual, please post about it!
    150mphclub - They still do. This was entered on my order request.

thebug...
    The FE2 suspension adds about a 1/2 of a suspension travel cycle over indulations that the standard suspension of other ELLPS and LPS cars simply don't have.

Mark, would you please explain what this statement means? "Suspension travel cycle"??? I'm not agreeing, disagreeing, or anything. I'm just clueless :confuse:
    knotem - I took the sunroof delete option and on my CTS I have everything in the Premium Lux Collection (less nav) by taking the PDW option and all the individual options. It cost a little more to go that route, but it was worth it to get what I wanted.

Actually would have taken the nav system (for aesthetical reasons only) but it's a must with the sunroof, so I had to compromise a little. I must say that the groups I put together turned out pretty nice. I think the sunroof option may change down the road due to the love/hate relationship that it seems to have garnered.

thebug...

thebug...
    Refresher, I Ordered my CTS on October 5th with DI, PDR, Y42, P63, C3U, Y44, Blk Raven. Was told 6-9 weeks for order out. Contacted dealer last week (11-21), he told me "constraints" were placed on my vehicle. I contacted Cadillac Customer Assistance (800-458-8006) and was told that I don't even have a build date scheduled. Rep told me that I may "never" have a build date. When I asked why, all she said was that there were constraints. Apparently the powers that be @ Cadillac have decided that if you don't order any of the luxury collections, Level I,2 or 3 that you won't get an '08 CTS. I was told that if I wanted one I should search the area dealers inventory and purchase one on the lot. I told her that I wasn't interested in any that were in the $46-49k range. If enough of us that have CTS's on order out contact Cadillac maybe someone will get the hint. If anyone reading this is wants to order one, Good Luck getting it!!!
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Get your money back and go find a REAL dealership.

Better yet, go over the Cars Direct and let their 2000lb gorilla purchasing department get you exactly what you want.
  • lenbrovermanlenbroverman Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone figured out how to start you car if the battery goes dead in your remote with the keyless entry? You can use your hidden key to open the door but there is no place for your key to start your car. Did Cadillac forget something?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I doubt it. On my 07 STS there is a slot in the center console where you put your remote and that allows you to start it. There is a sensor there that reads something inside the remote.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    your contraint is probably the P63 the polished wheels....you will not get a build date until the order is accepted...and as long as the order has a constrained item..it will not be accepted for build and remain with the dealerships pool of orders awaiting an allocation....Your dealership gets a weekly constraint report....Thursdays I beleive.....the same day they get their allocations for ordering vehicles....your dealership knows this...your salesman might not but the inventory manager does....

go to another dealership to order your car....lots of folks have already ordered and recieved their car.....the ongoing constraints seem to be P63 and B20....I would suggest shopping around as well........
    I gathered some reassuring info from my dealer today. Refresher, my very basic CTS is black and black, Y42 package, manual transmission - ordered on Oct 26. After providing my manufacturing number, I was informed that the target build date is the first week in December with expected delivery in early January. Build dates after this time are subject to delays since the factory is shut down for the last 2 weeks of December. No indication of any constraints for the manual transmission according to what I've been told from my sales manager and GM Canada.
    lenbrover - See page 2-13 in the owner's manual, or us your other key.

thebug...
    In January, after the NAIAS, I’ll probably try to order a 2WD, DI with all options minus sunroof. I know I wouldn’t be able to get the nav but things might change by then.
    knotem - Things with the nav system probably will change by then, or somewhere down the MY because of the voiced indifference with the sunroof. Besides, the nav system is a high dollar option, ($1000 vs. $3145 per order) and I'm sure they will figure a way to work those lost dollars in. They would simply have to just modify the PDW option.

If you remember, the PDW option wasn't one of the original options. It came to life (late Sep 07) only after people started requesting the car without the sunroof (as I was told by the dealer), but wanted the other bells and whistles included in their orders.

When you look at what the PDW package offers and requires, it's simply a scaled down version of the Premium Lux Collection. It's already too late for me but I hope it changes in time for your order, and the benefit of others who want to go that direction. If they're wise, they will make the change.

thebug...
  • ctbarker3232ctbarker3232 Member Posts: 15
    Great news. Last Monday, I got an email from my dealer that my CTS with Prem Lux and B20 and P63 had been accepted to be built by GM. Today, I get an email that it is scheduled to be built the week of 12/3. He said he will be able to provide a VIN in a couple of days. My dealer believes I will take delivery before Xmas which would be wonderful.

I've downloaded the manuals so that I will be up to speed when I take delivery. I am very excited. This is my first new car since my purchase of and earlier Motor Trend car of the year - a 2000 model year Lincoln LS V8.

-CB
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "This is my first new car since my purchase of and earlier Motor Trend car of the year - a 2000 model year Lincoln LS V8"

As purchaser of a Y2K Lincoln LS V8 myself ( and an '03 as well ) I'm looking forward to your report on how this CTS compares...

- Ray
    Not in the market today, but looking....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bmwnewbie530ibmwnewbie530i Member Posts: 36
    My CTS with DI, Luxury Premium, Sport Performance, Polished Wheels, AWD, Black Raven was accepted on Monday. MSRP was about $49 so maybe what you are saying is true.
    Were did you download the manuals from? Can you give me the URL.
  • ctbarker3232ctbarker3232 Member Posts: 15
    "Were did you download the manuals from? Can you give me the URL."

Here you go:

2008 CTS Manuals

-CB
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The FE2 setup is, IMHO, what should be the base suspension, it is softer than I have come to expect from the cars in the ELLPS and LPS class of cars from Germany (and Infiniti.)

This is NOT at all a bad thing -- I drove in to the dealer in a 2005 Audi A6 with 18" wheels and the then standard suspension set up. I then tested the CTS FE2, AWD, bla bla bla.

Got in my car and drove over the same route I had just driven the CTS. The CTS was softer, it floated about 1/2 of a suspension cycle more than the A6.

The damping, apparently was the issue. The FE2 version allows a down, up, down and half an up/down over a "whoop-de-doo" that the A6 only allows a down, up, return to normal motion.

This is NOT meant to suggest the CTS is not a fine sheen. It simply means it is apparently an American interpretation of a Sport suspension.

It is not sufficiently damped in this league -- I could live with it and probably after a time come to think the Germans were stiff and harsh.

Today, I feel the CTS is too much like my first water bed.

Alas, no FE3 offered with AWD.

The springs remain the same -- the differences ARE the dampers.

Drive it like you live.
  • hemi05hemi05 Member Posts: 5
    I ordered CTS, red, DI, AWD, PDQ prem lux on 10-16-07 from Pittsburgh, PA area dealer. Salesman told me this morning, 11-29-07, that order was picked up 11-19-07, car most likely built by now. Order was delayed because of B20 wood constraint until 11-19-07. Hope others soon receive such good news.
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    Regarding navigation system. I did not order luxury level that included navigation.
    On Star is free for one year and offers Connections and Directions. The directions are shown on radio screen and audio comes through radio.
    Very easy to use. Call On Star tell them were you want to go, they program directions and it shows up on your radio screen. If you go off course On Star computer comes on an asks if you want new route.
    I like it, very simple to use.
    Cosmo13
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    and after first free year it cost you big bucks, like $299 per year. After 2 years you could buy your own nav unit aftermarket.
  • pricedepricede Member Posts: 1
    I just got the Jan. 08 Car and Driver magazine. They test 4 sports sedans, one being the 2008 CTS with manual transmission. They state, "coupled with the six-speed manual, the CTS didn't feel quite as finished or satisfying as the automatic equipped car...from a stiff clutch pedal with inconsistent engagement to a clunky and high-effort shifter that resists smooth, quick gearchanges, the CTS's powertrain seems crude without the automatic."
    I am considering placing an order for a 2008 CTS in December. It would only be if I get it with the 6 speed manual. Is there anyone with the 2008 with manual transmission who thinks Car and Driver is out of line with their comments? (The CTS placed 3rd behind the G35 and 328i, but ahead of the MB C300 Sport)