Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• lenbrovermanlenbroverman Member Posts: 18
    After sending 3 years trying to get Audi to recognize a problem in my 2005 Audi A6 I finally gave up and traded it in for a 2008 CTS DI engine with all the bells and whistles. Only thing I can say is" I love this car "and as I told Audi I'd never by one of their cars again. They are a terrible company to deal with. So if your considering a new Audi do yourself a favor and look and drive this CTS.
  • smokiejoesmokiejoe Member Posts: 26
    Are you able to get other manuals. I am waiting for my 2008 SRX to arrive, and it would be awesome to get up to speed on the vehicle. I called Cadillac and GM but they could not help. I know after delivery, or at least once I have a VIN #, I can download the manual from mygm.c*m.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Would this be the same Car and Driver magazine that rated the BMW #1 in its October 2005 comparison test of 8 sport sedans even though the brakes failed and put the car in a full spin? LOL

C&D probably prints sales brochures for BMW.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Just a follow-up from your earlier comments: Although I plan on renting a CTS for a couple of days to get a better feel of the car, today was my first drive in one, the DI version, (tarted up with Vogue wheels, whitewalls, pinstripping, tinted windows, painted grill, in Diamond White--it was stunning) with the dealer. A couple miles of city streets, two highway merges, some parking lot maneuvering. Maybe it's the comparison (I too drive a 300C). But I was kind of underwhelmed. Nice power, very responsive engine/transmission, but lacks the brute force of the Hemi. Nice ride and control, maybe a tad softer and without the annoying rear suspension noise of the 300, but not a whole lot better. Biggest disappointment was the interior. Comfortable seating and plenty of legroom, yes, and enough headroom that I could adjust the seat up (I'm 6 ft.) to give more of the up right sitting position like in the 300. But the perception was slightly confining, probably due to the wrap-around design of the console/dash, and the center stack seemed a bit busy, though admittedly the detailing and finish was very impressive. Also noticed that the doors don't close with a solid thunk. No rattles, but there was definitely some flexing in the door/window area, almost like the old the Devilles of the 70's. And what's this with the no flash-to-pass headlights (only works with the headlights ON). That's one of my most used features (Yes I'm going to pass you; Yes I'm going to let you pull in ahead of me; Hi gorgeous; What the heck kind of maneuver was that you jerk; etc.).

Still an impressive vehicle, though not quite the WINNER I was expecting. Will have to see if the longer term renting will change my impression.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The Car and Driver comparo was with the FE3 equipped car. Wow.

At this price point/class the Infiniti is a winner.

At this price point and whatever class the 300C AWD with a bunch of options on it is in, it too is a winner.

At the discount price of the STS with the DI engine, it will pull sales from the CTS.
    The CTS will, in perhaps 6 months, probably be pretty much discounted, too -- then, with the addition of the bluetooth factory feature (which even the 300C offers via a package called Uconnect), the CTS might be an appropriately priced winner.

Gawd, it sure is purty -- but even with the great (apparent) build quality and pretty decent power -- a maxed out 300C with the current discount structure seems like so much more car for da moola. But, it is a bit porky -- yea, I know so is the CTS, so what else is new.

I do believe I am still going to wait for the new LWB V6 AWD A4 Sline -- then my choice will most likely be between the Audi A4, Cadillac CTS DI and the Infiniti G35X.

The rumored updated 300C (D?) will be out then too -- the Cadillac, IMHO, will need hmmm, about a 10-12% nominal discount at that point.

Then, it could be the winner -- if I say it often enough and fast enough, while I'm squinting. . ."it could happen!"

:surprise:
  • bdingbding Member Posts: 13
    I talked again (11/30) with Cadillac Customer Assistance. There are still "constraints" placed on my 10/05/07 CTS DI order out. No build date, no reason given. With the Lansing facility closed for the last two weeks of the year, I don't expect anything soon. The CSR rep said she was closing my account out. She said all further contact should be thru the dealer. I asked if there was someone I could speak to above her and was told, "no". So I'm thinking I was speaking to a dead-end all along. If my wife didn't want this car so badly, I'd say, "damn you Cadillac". GM, if your reading this, you've left a bitter taste in my mouth and this will most likely be the last car I'll ever purchase from you.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    You need a better dealer. I have no problem getting ordering information from my dealer, not to mention reasons why things are happening or not happening. The "constraints" issues are well known and well discussed in these parts. Compare your options list to what's already been discussed and you'll have your answer. The reason they don't have a build date is because they honestly don't know. Suppliers can be a real PITA sometimes and these supply-chain issues have a real danger of customers saying "forget it" and heading straight for the Infiniti dealer. Trust me, GM is probably more pissed off than you are over this. For you, its an inconvenience. For them, it's costing them real money.
    I haven't read the review yet (hasn't been delivered to the house). I can't say I'm surprised at the result. I still think it's not entirely an apples to apples comparo to put a CTS in the same test as a 3 series...they just aren't the same class vehicle. A G35 is a better comparison but that's smaller too. But Cadillac will have to live with this until the BTS bows sometime in the future.

And I think the automotive press agrees with me. Motor Trend has given the 2008 CTS the COTY award this year. The aformentioned Car and Driver put the '08 CTS on their 10Best list this year. The BMW 3-series was on it, but the G35 was not. Not that the G35 didn't deserve to be on the list, but the new G35 is evolutionary improvement over the old car. The '08 CTS is night and day over the '07 CTS. Sometimes you get awards for how far you've come.

The STS with the DI engine picking off CTS sales? I'd love the get some of the tree you've been smoking. The STS is just a plain boring vehicle next to the CTS. The only thing it has going for it over the CTS is a V8 option and soon that won't even be a differentiator.

The 300C is a nice car...my favorite rental these days (leg room for days!). But the interior quality just is not the same class as the CTS or anything else in the class.

The A4 is a very very nice vehicle. Audi has probably done more than anyone in transforming FWD cars into Quattro cars that can get around a curve. If somebody buys an Audi over other cars in the class, I can't blame them.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The STS is just a plain boring vehicle next to the CTS.
    I beg to differ on that. I have a 07 STS-4 and have driven a number of 07 CTS's in which the 08 is different but it is still a bottom of the line Caddy. Very Nice, but no STS.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    markcincinnati - After reading your post (# 1797), I can only say this. I hope you are as happy with whatever you buy as I am with my 08 Cadillac CTS, because I think it is awesome. What a car!!! And truly, that's all that really matters.

thebug...
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    I've been a subscriber of Car & Driver for about 20 years but will not renew my subscription after this year. The reason? I'm fed up with their complete BMW/German bias.

C&D believes that if you're a car enthusiast then you want a race car for the street. I think we all realize this is not the case. A great sport sedan/coupe is a combination of style, luxury, technology, handling and performance. The fact that a car can lap Nurburgring or Laguna Seca faster and quicker than any other car in it's class doesn't make it the optimal car for a car enthusiast's daily driver.

I haven't owned an American car since 1999 and swore I would never own another after that awful Jeep Grand Cherokee, but since the introduction of the CTS I've slowly changed my mind. The 08 CTS is everything I had hoped it would be, correcting all of the problems of the previous models. I would have already put my order in for an 08 CTS if it weren't for the fact that Cadillac will be building a coupe, hopefully in 08 as an 09.
    Not to knock your purchase, but here's an elaboration on my opinion. Again, your mileage and opinion will be different.

Thesis: The STS is boring

1. The exterior styling is bland. The original '05 STS was supposed to be introduced in '04 but got held back because Bob Lutz thought the styling wasn't sophisticated enough. I don't know what that car looked like because the car that went to production didn't light many eyes afire. Considering that the '02 'Slade, the '03 CTS, the '04 XLR and the '04 SRX were all considered to be "out there" styling exercises (some succeeded, some sort-of succeeded). The '05 STS looked to be to be an unfinished project. The lines were too toned down from the other A&S efforts. The sides were too slad sided without any emotion lines to break up the wide expanses of nothing. The rear clip and spoiler looked completely unfinished and the spoiler didn't look integrated at all. I spent some time in my mind trying to defend it when it first was released, but the more I looked at it, the more I couldn't defend it.

2. The interior was a better effort but it falls because Cadillac compromised it with poor quality plastics. All you have to do is put your hand on top of the '08 CTS's dash and feel the soft feel of the leatherette compared to the hard plastics of the STS to know that the CTS's game got updated from what had been done three years previous. It's not that the STS's interior is bad...far from it. But once you get back the center stack that was pretty well done, the rest of it is lacking, I'm sorry to say. Keep in mind, I'm the same guy who told my Caddy dealer back in '03 that I thought my new CTS's interior wasn't enough for the class (and the SRX's original CTS-based interior was a joke for the class).

3. The seats are boring. The STS's seats are pretty much the same units in the CTS and SRX. Outside of some styling differences, the seats showed no improvement from the other vehicles...again, just trying to put more of the same across the product line.

The STS-V did change some of my pain points, but the main problems of the car remain. The '08 STS does spice up the front clip with the new family grill, but I think the CTS is a better interpretation of that effort. The side vents on the new STS just look slapped on...not an integrated part of the design as the CTS or even the '07 Slade.

Given the styling effort on the CTS, I am hopeful on the replacement for the STS/DTS since I was getting a little worried after the STS came out.
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    Does the 2008 CTS have it? And why is the more powerful engine only available with the auto tranny?
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    150mphclub I think Car and driver was referring more to driver zen feel than anything (BMW model) They can't make fair comparisons or conduct fair tests. They are driving enthusiasts who test cars on test tracks, and that's it
    The '08 CTS does have hookups for MP3 players and supports the iPod (5th Gen or newer) specifically. There is a special iPod adapter that ships with the car allowing you to see and manipulate the songs and playlists from the dash. You can also transfer unprotected music from your Ipod to the hard drive of the CTS, or rip songs from CDs. The media player in the radio stack supports all popular unprotected music formats including MP3 (all versions), AAC, WMA, Apple Lossless and even Ogg Vorbis for you Linux fans. The hard drive feature is available with or without the more expensive navigation system. Otherwise you can plug in your Zune, Zen or older iPod into the mini-plug jack in the cubbiehole between the front seats.

The manual tranny is available with either the base or DI engine. Check your dealer for availability since most dealers these days special order the manual transmission for customers who specifically want it.
    I completely understand the perspective coming from a 300 owner. I now ask for 300s when I travel since Avis now keeps a fleet of them and Chargers at most rental facilities. The 300 has legroom for days for those of us who are challenged by the accomodations automakers make for those shorter than us. :-) The 300 and Charger are old school in that their dashboards are fairly flat, which allows for more overall knee room. Most cars used to have dashboards like this. The CTS is like many newer vehicles with swoopy curved cockpit inspired designs (or at least what we fantasize what a cockpit is supposed to look like). I usually hate designs like this since it makes it even less likely I can fit in a car like this. The CTS is the rare exception of cars in this class that can handle my legs....a feature shared with the Infiniti M and the Acura RL. Everybody else is a no-go.

I would disagree on the "door-thunk" noise...not that it couldn't be better...I think it could be. But I've owned a '76 Deville and a '80 Deville and those doors sounded nothing like modern cars. :-)

You're not ever going to get the torque of a Hemi V8 until Caddy puts a V8 Northstar in this car. Wait a year or two and it will happen...and a V-series car is a certainty next year anyway.

No flash to pass? That's the first time I've heard that complaint...even the last CTS had that feature. Weird.

Finally about the pimped up Vogue Tyres (r) and pinstriping.....Cadillac as a division of GM is going to have to get firm with the dealers on crap like this. Coming back from the airport this weekend I saw a brand new red '08 CTS in the airport parking lot...and then I took a doubletake to see a saddle-colored fake convertible coach roof stuck to the top of it. It's like somebody wearing a obvious bad toupee, only much worse. In the last 5 years, I think I only saw 2 CTS's that were ever inflicted by this kind of aftermarket travesty, and now just 2+ months out the gate and I see my first '08 CTS to get the '79 Caddy Phaeton treatment (yes this was a real factory car from Cadillac, look it up!)
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I have an 08 CTS with the HDD and input jack mentioned but no "special ipod adaptor". I'll admit, I haven't had much time to play with the options or look through the owner manual but definitely have not seen any extra parts. What does it look like?
  • rspruittrspruitt Member Posts: 13
    Have about 3,000 miles on my new CTS now and have noticed a ticking noise which is more pronounced than when I first started driving the car. It comes from the dash and is probably related to one of the guages as it parallels engine acceleration (neutral or in gear). Does anyone else have this same noise? Trying to get some data before visiting the dealer. Thanks in advance.
    There is a USB port next to the input jack. The special iPod adapter that is supposed to come with the car has a standard iPod jack on one side and a 2 port hydra on the other side...one for the USB port and the other for the mini plug since the USB port is for control only, not sound. If you didn't get the iPod adapter, ask your dealer since regular iPod adapters don't work with it (I tried one at the dealer...no dice).
    jdavis12 - All of my extra parts (owner's manual, plate bezel, iPOD connector, etc.) were located in the trunk inside the cargo net (difficult to see at first) in a package. It's a 7 inch dual pigtale type adapter. If it's not their get it from the dealer.

thebug...
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    I was expecting the low finance rate to begin in January not now:

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/financing/offers-financing-models.jsp?tab=20- 08&model=cts
  • nextone1nextone1 Member Posts: 15
    Ditto here! I first noticed this at about 3,000 miles (last week) on my 3.6 DI. At first I thought it was an HVAC fan, but realized the sound reved with engine speed and didn't stop when I turned off the HVAC system. The noise seems to originate in the center of the dash near the windshield. The ticking is more noticeable at the low-speed end of my ride to work (30 miles). It's a lot less noticeable or nearly undetectable during the lunch hour drive or drive home. Also, ambient temps are in the 30's or low 40's on the morning drive. So, you're not alone. With a car this quiet, any noise becomes noticeable.
    Well, at least I'm not alone.......I plan on taking it to the dealer later this month and get their thoughts. Will let you know.
  • ctbarker3232ctbarker3232 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

As a person who was impacted by the B20 constraint problem I thought I would pass on this recent observation.

My brother was visiting Phoenix this past weekend and noticed new 2008 CTS cars in the rental fleet there. Knowing that my CTS order was delayed because of the Wood Steering wheel, he observed that all of the rental CTS cars had the Wood Steering wheel! I found this a bit frustrating and disconcerting.

Why would Cadillac put a constrained item on generic rental units at the expense of sold customer's cars? It doesn't make sense to me but I admit I am a novice at understanding the machinations of the car business. It really strikes me as disingenuous to talk about constraints to money in hand customers and then on the other hand do something like this?

This is a case where I truly wish for greater transparency on the part of Cadillac.

-CB
    So, have had a 2008 CTS since August and just now realized that the unit was produced without the Sapale Wood Trim on the Steering Wheel and Shift Knob (and the sticker makes this comment explicitely), although I essentially paid for this in the Premium Luxury Collection. Even though I accepted the vehicle, am wondering if I have any recourse......any thoughts? (please be gentle)
    I'm hoping I'm not in for the same problem I had with my Audi A6.which I traded for a new CTS. My Audi would make a clicking noise when I reeved the engine. Audi said it was heater vent doors opening and closing to distribute warm air to the cabin.Therefore you would only notice it when the engine warmed enough for the climate control to call for heat. Audi could not explain what the engine speed had to do with it but the noise only happened at 2500 rpms or higher. I hope I didn't trade one lemon for a new one. Please keep us posted if you find out cause of ticking.
    Audi could not explain what the engine speed had to do with it but the noise only happened at 2500 rpms or higher
    Sounds like they used vacunm motors to open/close those vent doors and the higher the engine revs the lower the vac. which means the doors snap either shut or open which ever way they are designed.
  • nextone1nextone1 Member Posts: 15
    Cars (like mine) produced without the wood wheel and shift knob received a $150 option credit on the sticker. This was refelected in a reduced option package price.

Now if you want to add either, it's gonna cost a lot more. The shift knob alone is reported to cost better than $350 and the wheel about $600. Personally, I like the wood shift knob. I don't care for the wood wheel.
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    I just bought one.....and I agree with the performance blog. I also own a 275 HP 2007 CTS and that car is definitly faster off the line than this 2008 awd DI car.

The 2008 is quieter than the 2007, more solid, and I think heavyer. I dont feel a performance issue once I'm off the line and moving...she responds to throttle and I'm OK with it. BUT I agree......she is not faster off the line or even as fast as my 2007.
    What is the engine/transmission combination in your 2007 cts?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I believe that the top 2007 CTS HP powertrain was a 255 HP 3.6 V6.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/cadillac/cts/100717104/specs.html

Not 275,,,,
    2022 X3 M40i
    You are hardly comparing apples to apples. Your 2008 is about 600 pounds heavier than your 2007.
    Perhaps you are correct......255 HP not 275???

I'll throw this out there too and I'll stop knocking my new baby. On the AWD cars, the brake pedal is too close to the gas pedal which causes some drivers to clip the edge of the brake pad while your applying gas. Doesnt happen on 2007's, or 2008 NON AWD cars but somthing with the AWD models and the tunnel that enchroach's into the cabin has caused the brake pedal to be too close to the gas pedal. Scary feeling when your applying gas to be hitting the brake at the same time.
    Size 10 regular foot in case your wondering.
    I've also tried for 900 miles to re-train my foot to no avail. Anyone else with AWD's feel this issue?
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Is that foot pedal problem with a manual or auto transmission?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    AWD ONLY comes with one transmission type -- so, I guess it must be that one. :surprise:
    Just finished another 270 mile joy ride through the back roads in the mountains, WHAT A TURN ON! Because the traffic was just so, I was able to play in the twisty turnys for twenty to thirty minutes at a time at triple digit speeds. It was one WOW after another. The handling is superb. Can't wait for my long road trip this coming spring.

thebug...
    I'm getting a bit antsy. My car that I ordered on October 26th was scheduled to be built the week of December 3rd which has now passed.

I got the information from my dealer a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything so I called the 1800 Cadillac number that supposedly can tell you things. After a long routine of verifying who I was all they could determine was it was to be built the week of 12/3.

Based on other discussions I have seen, I would have thought I would know my VIN by now and possible delivery dates.

I think I'm in the home stretch but information is thin on the ground.

-CB
  • adamg2adamg2 Member Posts: 12
    CB, I signed my lease on the exact same date (Oct 26th) and was given the same locked-in build date (Dec 3). I've been told that it will be arriving to Toronto on either Dec 11th or 12th. I was able to gain information more easily from my local dealer rather than the 1800 number. You should be provided with a vehicle number (not a VIN number) which is one letter followed by 5 digits in order to access information on your order. I would imagine that you should have your car by next week as well.
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    Size 13 and I find the space a little tight. AWD, DI with automatic.
    Thanks for your info.

As it turns out, I just got an email from my dealer that my car has been built and shipped! No delivery date yet but maybe this coming week or the week after at the latest. I get my wish to get it before Christmas. The timing is also opportune because the Maryland state tax is increasing 20% from 5% to 6% effectice Jan 1. I did not vote for the democrat Governor O'Malley who pushed this tax hike through.

Through a neat trick I learned about, I went to cadillac.com and was able to enter my VIN number and look at and printout my actual vehicle's window sticker. Very cool.

-CB
  • adamg2adamg2 Member Posts: 12
    Please detail the process that allows one to view the window sticker on the cadillac website. Thanks

AG
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    Currently considering the 08 CTS, my first American car in years. I have to admit that I am blinded by the MT and C&D COTY and 10 Best awards. The car is droolworthy and has all the options I need except for Bluetooth. I have a couple of questions:

a) what are you all doing for hands-free telephony? The car doesn't come with Bluetooth, a rather obvious oversight.
    b) are most of you who've purchased buying at MSRP, or are there deals to be had?
    Follow the instructions in this thread. It's a little tricky because the the url where you have to substitute your VIN is long but I have confirmed that this works.

Search Sticker by VIN

-CB
    As someone who is the home stretch on taking delivery of my vehicle, I will offer my thoughts.

Bluetooth

I have to admit this isn't a big deal for me as I make relatively few cell phone calls. I did recently buy a new Palm Centro which has bluetooth. I also picked up a jabra bluetooth earpiece for about $12 that seems to work ok. There are many devices on the market that plug into the cigarette lighter. Some swear by the Onstar phone hookup. I have no experience. Personally, I prefer to listen to music than yak on the phone!

Price

Given the date of the year and the fact that I believe the GM factory shuts down after next week until next year, I think I would wait until next year to try to price a new CTS.

In my case, I needed to order mine because of the features I wanted. I did my homework and then sent out a request for bids from all my local dealers. I stated in my request that I wanted specific features and would need to order. I did not need to be sold on the car. I knew all about the car and had test driven it. It would be an easy order for a dealer. Only one dealer out of a half dozen actually responded with an actual quote. The others either didn't respond or wanted to "sell" me rather than just give me a quote. The dealer that gave me a quote was easy to deal with. I negotiated a little further and reached my target price and the order was placed on Oct 26.

I paid about $3k below MSRP or about $1k plus over supposed invoice. Not a steal or a bargain but I consider it a fair price given the short supply.

I would think that the new year will bring new supply online that will catch up with demand. Also, with the new year will be all the car shows and everyone will be distracted by 2009 models.

With patience you'll probably get a great deal on what seems to be fantastic car.

-CB
    I also have a 2008 with awd and definitately I often hit the brake pedal when putting my foot on the gas, They are too close. Wonder if Cadillac knows of the problem. Could be dangerous if you apply brake and your foot hits the gas also.
    I have contacted GM and the President of my dealership is contacting a Detroit engineer for me. I will keep you posted. Jim
  • mike241mike241 Member Posts: 5
    Ordered fully loaded ($49,450 sticker) CTS from dealer in Ohio on November 13. Car arrived at dealership on December 9. Picked it up on Monday, December 12. Every option except engine heater. Car came in as ordered, including wood wheel and shifter. Received employee discount and saved a little under $6000 on the deal. I was hesitant about ordering the sunroof because of all the negativity on the board but glad that I got it. It's really not that bad. Looks great with the white diamond paint.
    Very nice......enjoy it!
    Did you get the DI ?
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    Anyone have any idea how much an extra set of rims would cost?
    Aftermarket wouldn't be to bad but to buy a duplicate set of what is on the car would cost a foutune. My guess if you wait a while there will be people here who want to change out their wheels and you may be able to get a set cheap or cheaper.