Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Edmunds had these first. Autoblog had larger ones.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-shots-2009-cadillac-cts-v-undisguised/
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    I have heard in my gararge when I shut the car off and before the headlights go out...a high pitched whine which I thought had something to do with the lights.
    ----------------------------------------------------

It's the hard drive winding down.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Possibly one of the dumbest reasons for eliminating a purchase I have ever seen.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Well said. It takes all kinds to make a world. That's one we could do without.
  • leo2007leo2007 Member Posts: 3
    Sometimes there is no obvious accounting for poor taste, or for narrow-mindedness
    or obtuseness, for that matter. So don't put whitewalls or other after-market bling
    on you CTS, or G35x, or whatever you ultimately choose to buy. Being a "purist"
    seems to suit you best.
  • bdingbding Member Posts: 13
    Henny Penny was running around and telling everyone, "the sky is falling"
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Whatever that guy buys I hope he sees another car just like his with whitewalls on it. This way he'll have to hate it until its paid for :P :P :P
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    OK....I agree the white wall thing that brogan does is a turn off on a CTS but.......just dont buy them!!
    Those are "add on" old man wheels that really belong on the DTS and larger caddy's.......but to say that you cant see beyond that and appreciate what they have done to this 08 model really befuddles me....I too believe you probably wanted a rice burner. To each his own...enjoy the rice burner.
    "Whatever that guy buys I hope he sees another car just like his with whitewalls on it. This way he'll have to hate it until its paid for"

Very creative and very funny!! LOL
    Had a winshield replaced because it had a streek inside between the laminant of the glass...no problem now.

Also had drivers door panel replaced because that door came from the factory without the accent lighting in the panel....both taken care of 2 days. Car is awesome but I still want the 2008 AWD model brake pedal too close to the gas pedal issue to be recognized by GM.

It's just about 1/2 inch too close causing my tilted size 10 foot to "clip" the brake pad when applying gas. Non AWD models are different and that problem does not exist.
    The oil filter go's:

1) Pop the hood and stand facing the engine
    2) Look on the right side of the engine just to the right side of that huge plastic top engine cover.
    3) There is a silver canister with a 1 inch nut built into the canister.

4) Unscrew it and there is the filter.

PS - It's not 1 inch but close to it....could be metric too I forget.
    The XM part of my radio stopped working. I received a "No Signal message". XM tech tried rebooting from the satellite. It didn't work. Made an appointment with the service department. Radio wasn't fixable. None available in my area. One had to be brought in by FedEx overnight. Cadillac loaned me a brand new DTS for 24 hours. The DTS is a nice car, but I'll take my CTS. Thanks, Cadillac.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Unfortunately, a number of wide pictures had to be removed. If you want to post a picture, please ensure that it fits within the text area. If it is wider than the text area, it distorts the page to the point where other messages cannot be read and we have to delete the post.

If your picture is wider than the text area, you need to resize it in order to display it. You can do this manually by adding height and width paramenters to your image display (e.g., height="312" width="444"), or you can post it on your CarSpace page and use the automatically generated text to do it for you.

Or you can just post a link to it instead of displaying it.

Thanks for your cooperation.
  • cptsullycptsully Member Posts: 18
    Hello All-

I bought my 08 CTS back in October,and love it! The only thing I THOUGHT it was lacking was a sun visor feature that allows you to block the sun coming in the gap in the driver's window. Here I am thinking, 42K for a car, and I still have to hold my hand up to block the friggin sun?? Now, it may seem like a minor issue to some, but it was almost a deal breaker for me! I bought the car anyway, just cause it looked so good!

Anyway, today I was fiddling around with the visor, and much to my surprise, found out it sort of telescopes out, allowing you to position it whereever the sun may be! I don't recall this being mentioned anywhere in the brochure, and the salesman said nothing about it, and it doesn't LOOK like it has that ability. I was extremely pleased, cause that had been the ONE thing I was very disappointed in. I love this car- it's the gift that keeps on giving! :)

Anyway, so now I feel stupid, and happy all at the same time! This must be how Paris Hilton feels everyday!

Happy New Year everyone!
  • clarksterclarkster Member Posts: 7
    Hello All...I found this forum in my never-ending quest of purchasing my next car. The good news - I'm 95% certain it's gonna be a Cadillac. But just when I had decided on getting a 2007 XLR (I certainly can't afford a brand new one!), my stepdad sends me a link to the CTS and I fell in love all over again!

Awesome writeups and credentials. Just when I'm ready to change my mind and buy the 2008 CTS, I find out they're anticipating a coupe version out this coming Summer. Now I'm REALLY torn! Any truth to that rumor?

While I don't see me finding any SEXIER car than the XLR, it's cost prohibitive for me. Sure, I could buy one a couple of years old, but then it's not really new any longer. I could certainly wait until August if in fact Cadillac presents a coupe version of the CTS - CTC?

What's the buzz...and excuse this poorly written first post in this forum.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    ". . .stupid, and happy all at the same time! This must be how Paris Hilton feels everyday."

Good line -- though the condition may be more common than you think; ignorance is bliss & all that.

Sounds like the CTS sun visor has returned to what was fairly common in the 50's -- the whole visor could be pulled out a few inches on the rod it rotated on.

Good luck with the new car.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    All,

I picked up my CTS on the 28th, after ordering it over two months ago (Platinum exterior, black interior, RWD, DI engine, all options minus sunroof, nav). Fantastic car. The ambient lighting at night really is a 'must-have'.

My real question is: How can I safely remove the little GM "chiclet" behind the front wheels. I like the company, I bought their product, but to me the chiclet is a blemish I'd like removed. Has anyone done it, and how?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BrianTucson
    Take waxed dental floss and "work it" behind the emblem like you were sawing it off.....

All it is is adhesive tape. Comes right off with no damage.
    there are also stuff you can buy for removing the left over glue if there is any.
    Better check that removing the GM chicklet doesn't void the GM extended drive train warrantee.
    Come on where did you get that brainstorm. Could it have something to do with your name Mr. BINGO man?

Yea, don't remove them as that is what holds the engine together :P
    Thanks, I'll do it tomorrow. The leftover glue will likely come off easily enough with a little effort. If not, I'll use some of the Mrs' fingernail polish remover (and then hit the area with wax).
    Egad Mathews, when did your sense of humor evaporate? :)

As to using nail polish remover, it is a very powerful solvent. I would try it first on an inconspicuous spot such as on the inside bottom edge of the door before trying it on the fender. There are a number of products sold specifically designed to remove gums and stickums without damaging painted surfaces which would be much better.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Let me know if the Chiclet is chewable and what flavor. :P
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Absolutely don't use nail polish remover. It will remove the clear coat.
    Try a little WD 40
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    The dealer can easily and quickly remove the chiclet. If the dealer ever sticks his dealer emblem on my car I have them take it off. The shop guy has a can of something and he easily takes the emblem off. Should be able to do same for chiclet.
    GM spent 10's of millions of dollars designing the car and the placement of the GM emblems, why remove it?
    Cosmo
    You're correct.

I must have been starting my NYE celebration early when I wrote that.

WD-40 it is!
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Clarkster, I too am waiting anxiously for the CTS Coupe. I've heard many different rumors about when it will be introduced. The earliest I've heard is Spring 08 as an 09. The latest is Fall 09 as an 2010. My own "feeling" which was backed up by the UAW strike settlement schedule release is Spring 09. I must admit that the more CTS's I see on the road the more my resolve for holding out for the coupe is weakening, especially if I have to wait until 2010.

I can't say I share your enthusiasm for the XLR, to my mind it's blinged up Corvette for about 20K more money. My advice, buy a CTS or a Vette or wait for the CTC.
  • yellowjacket8yellowjacket8 Member Posts: 6
    How long does it usually take to start seeing some used vehicles with around 15,000 miles on them for sale. How much can you usually save buying low mileage used versus new?
    Has anyone seen any reports of mid year changes to the CTS, other than to the price?
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I realized about the telescoping feature when I saw that it did not cover my eyes . I would still want a secondary smaller visor which would remain in front so that I would be covered from both sides . I had that feature on older GM cars .
    I realized about the telescoping feature when I saw that it did not cover my eyes . I would still want a secondary smaller visor which would remain in front so that I would be covered from both sides . I had that feature on older GM cars .
  • wborstwborst Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2008 CTS (49K fully loaded) DI back from the dealer today. It took ten days to get a new fuel pump. Like you, with 1800 miles on it I did not expect to have these (or several other) problems.
  • emathisenemathisen Member Posts: 3
    I bought a fully loaded (incl awd) 08 CTS just before Christmas. On "pure" highway driving, using cruise control, I am only getting about 21 -22 mpg. How does this compare to what you all are getting?
    I have the mini RCA jack in my armrest. But a RCA cable did not come with the car. Owners manuel is very vague about this jack. In fact I think it states that some vehicles will have the jack and some won't. Anyway, from this link you can purchase for $2.99 US the cord that I think is needed.
    http://www.meritline.com/3-5mm-ipod-aux-straight-cable.html
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    you should have gotten the ipod cable with the car....the standard mini jack will not allow you to upload to the HHD or I believe show all the info from the ipod on the radio....you will need the cable that is suppose to be provided with the car...contact your dealer...many have been finding them with their accessory packages in the trunk...
    MPG will get better as vehicle breaks in.......
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    The use of premium fuel is used where it is warranted by the engines. If it's a high performance type or not and/or the manufacture states that premium is nessary to not deteriate the engine. Using the wrong octane can damage the injectors.
    The Society of Petroleum Engineers has more information.
    What does the octane rating of a fuel have to do with the injectors? The octane rating only affects the detonation of the fuel within the cylinder due to compression ignition, also known as engine knock.

I would also suggest that you use the spell check before posting message.
    I suggest you read up on using the proper octane before you start making claims too.
    Thank you for your concern with my answer. Now if you would care to explain what I said that was wrong I would appreciate the information. :(
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    On the base engine the fuel injectors are in the intake manifold so using lower octane fuel will not harm them (but poor fuel quality might plug them up).

The fuel injectors on the direct injection V6 are located in the cylinder and lower octane fuel than recomended can cause knock, which may harm the insides of the cylinder including the injectors.
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    Im glad i am not the only one to have had the fuel pump replaced. Parts are hard to come by right now. They took the fuel pump from the Loaded Red CTS In inventory rather than hold me up for 10 days. I get nothing but compliments on the look at of this car!!!!. The performance package with the 18 inch wheels make this car look complete.
    I have 500 miles on mine . With combined city driving with very mild accelerating , I am getting 15 MPG .It was freezing in NY past day , and my glove box was frozen shut . Anyone have a frozen glove box ?
  • clarksterclarkster Member Posts: 7
    jpenn, well, before I got to read your reply, I DID take your advice! I ordered the CTS (fully loaded)on 3 Jan. Really excited about it and can't wait to pick it up here in a few weeks! Good luck...come on in, the water's fine! :-)
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Clarkster, Best of luck with your new CTS, I'm envious. I'm still holding out for the coupe but I'm definitely weakening and you didn't help any. After seeing un camoflagged pictures of the new Camaro I'm more concerned than ever that the CTC will be a Camaro clone with Caddy front and rear. That would make this 2 year wait a total dud for me.

Again, best of luck
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro isn't going to be built on the same underpinning as the 08 CTS is now. Remember, GM as well as many others use interchangeable underbodies to build their vehicles. I was in future products for 16 years and all they did was replace a part of the floorpan to make the length of the vehicle. Usually the underbody is 3 or 4 pieces welded together. Don't worry about it, have you ever seen a 2 door that didn't look like the 4 door except for the extra set of doors and maybe the roof line. It gets way to expensive to put on to many extra body panels thats why a lot of cars look so much alike from car to car from the same manufacturer. For example look at a DTS Caddy and the Buick Lucire (sp) they start out with the same underbody pieces but they sure don't look alike and are built in the same plant.
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    I was pulling up to a stop sign in my 2008 CTS awd/direct injection when all of a sudden the car accelerated. I thought I had hit the gas instead of the brake. The engine was racing and I finally put it in neutral and shut the engine off. I re started and the car seemed OK. I drove for 2 miles and pulled up a hill, the car almost did not make the crest of the hill.
    After parking I noticed check engine light was on. I called On Star for a diagnostic check. On Star reported they received two notices from my cars computer: 1. transmission problem and 2. shifting mechanism problem. Diagnostic report gave instructions to take car to dealer immediately. I plan to be at dealer Monday at 7:30AM when service opens.
  • nathessnathess Member Posts: 11
    This is a note of interest to potential 2008 Cadillac CTS buyers.

Ten years ago all Cadillac's came with a built in "garage door opener" but one can spend $43,000 for the 2008 CTS with luxury upgrades and have a car that doesn't have a garage door opener. The car manual shows one installed as standard equipment but I have this car and General Motors has gone on record to say that one cannot be installed on my car. The compartment for this equipment is on the car but no wiring has been installed for this provision. This is a big disappointment for a car that is highlighted by General Motors as the Cadillac of the year.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Member Posts: 248
    I'm right there with you on waiting for the CTC :shades:

...but what on Earth would make you think the CTC will be a rebadged Camaro? They are not even on the same architecture yet (Zeta Camaro vs Sigma CTS). Did Cadillac create the CTS as a rebadged G8? NO! Don't worry. GM is back on track and as we have seen from the GMT900s, CTS, Malibu, and Enclave, every successive launch from here on out will be extraordinary.